PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Texans best assistant coach?

Wolf
01-29-2009, 12:05 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-471/Who-s-the-Texans-best-assistant-coach-.html

Texans owner Bob McNair spares no resources for his franchise. Whatever the team's shortcomings so far in its existence, it hasn't been for lack of trying or spending.

Which means coach Gary Kubiak has not lost out on any assistants because his offer wasn't good enough or because they didn't believe the team's management and facilities could produce a winner.

Kubiak just revamped a section of his defensive coaching staff.

So I'd like to hear from the team's followers on this week's question:

Who's the Texans best assistant coach?

I know Alex Gibbs is going to be a popular choice. The assistant head coach/offense coordinates the Texans run game, and with Steve Slaton as the featured back, the Texans made significant strides running the ball in 2008. And in his first season, there was little or none of the controversy that popped up in Denver and Atlanta over the cut blocks that are part of the approach.

Kyle Shanahan is an up-and-comer at coordinator and quarterbacks coach and has helped Matt Schaub develop, but with his offensive background Kubiak is always going to be very involved. Johnny Holland seems to have done good work with the team's young linebackers.

Are there any other contestants here on a very beefy staff?

barrett
01-29-2009, 12:35 AM
i think it's a toss up between Alex Gibbs and Alex Gibbs. I was going to go with a less popular choice and say Alex Gibbs but then you don't want to count out Alex Gibbs. He's very popular amongst the players and fans alike. Alex Gibbs is also in contention. Or maybe Alex Gibbs? hmmmmm.....

How about the second best assistant coach? I'll go with John Benton because he works under Alex Gibbs.

Go Texans.

Ckw
01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah Gibbs is certainly leading the charge. I, for one, am excited about Bush. I truly believe he wants an aggressive defense and I believe we will see a big improvement. With the pieces we have in place and with a good draft, I expect big improvements from them as a unit. The big key is Amobi IMO. He has got to take that next step and I believe he will as long as he is allowed to attack.

DiehardChris
01-29-2009, 12:42 AM
I replied with "it's Alex Gibbs, but if you want to take him out of the equation - it's Johnny Holland."

TexanSam
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm kind of excited about David Gibbs. By all accounts, the apple hasn't fallen very far from the tree when it comes to coaching. Can't say that he's our best assistant since he hasn't coached with the team yet though.

My vote goes to Alex Gibbs. I don't know if there's any better assistant anywhere in the NFL. He's probably in the top 5 at worst.

Goldensilence
01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
While Alex Gibbs presence on the offensive side of the ball and his past track record of success could make him the best assistant on the team easily. I think however, we could see at the end of the year that Ray Rhodes experience and track record will be very valuable on the defensive side of the ball.

Ckw
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
I replied with "it's Alex Gibbs, but if you want to take him out of the equation - it's Johnny Holland."

Great choice man. I do like what Johnny Holland has done. With the play of Adibi, Diles, obviously Demeco, and Kevin Bentley, I would have to give Holland the nod.