PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on coach Kollar from a Buffalo fan

TheRealJoker
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I recently asked one of my buddies from another forum who is a long time Buffalo fan about our new DL coach and this is what he had to say:

Me: Can you give me any insight on the Texans new DL coach Bill Kollar? He was with the Bills the last 3 seasons I think. He says he wants the DL to shoot the gaps and get after the QB, much better than the read and react crap the Texans had been trotting out while Richard Smith was DC.

I'm wondering if they're going to be sacrificing run defense for some extra sacks or not.

Buffalo Fan: I can't give you an honest answer as I think the Bills' D-line woes are 99% personnel based. Kollar certainly had some players over-achieving (Kyle Williams, Ryan Denney, even Aaron Schobel). Schobel is probably a great example of Kollar's upside. Not the greatest physical tools but he can get after the passer and is decent against the run. Stroud also had a better year than many expected.

That being said, the Bills d-line was a huge weakness this year. There was ZERO pass rush after Schobel went out. I'd say Chris Kelsay is the perfect example of Kollar's downside. Kelsay, the only white, slow, 250lb DE that STARTS in the NFL despite NEVER getting to the passer (2 sacks this year iirc). He's also terrible against the run. Most teams would cut this guy or have him as a high energy backup. Not the Bills. He starts at LE where his size disadvantage his magnified, he's a captain and he's got a huge contract that has prevented the Bills from drafting a DE in the 1st round or bringing in another FA DE. His position coach has to have something to do with this. What I'm saying is, Kollar may put a little too much into "Works hard, good team guy, great motor" and does so to the detriment of the team.

John McCargo was a 1st round pick (that the Bills traded up for) and, under Kollar's watch, he hasn't developed into a starter, let alone a stud. "Effort" is often the only reason given. DE Chris Ellis was the Bills' 3rd round pick this year and he looked terrible in all 11 snaps he played this year. Overall, I'd be concerned a little with his player evaluation skills.

Hopefully, with talent like Super Mario and Omobi-wan to work with, Kollar's talents shine through for you. It's hard to build frightening defensive machine when you're working with LEGO (ie. 250lb white lineman)

Polo
01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Is your friend racist ?

Ole Miss Texan
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Is your friend racist ?

Or... just truthful? :)

TheRealJoker
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Is your friend racist ?

I'd go with truthful. WE did have a backup white DE man on man against Darren McFadden this year.... yet another reason our DC is gone!!!

ATX
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Is your friend racist ?

More stereotypical than anything.

Polo
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
You guys are probably right....

Anyways...His analysis is interesting....

A little worried that he couldn't get more from the 1st and 3rd rounder though...

Hooston Texan
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM

A little worried that he couldn't get more from the 1st and 3rd rounder though...

Well, the first rounder might have been a tad overrated because of the guy he played next to at N.C. State. You've probably heard of that dude.

As for the third rounder (Ellis), he was a rookie last year and battled injuries. Still remains to be seen whether he works out, but, as we all know, judging a DE on his first season can be a dicey proposition.

Like every other coach, Kollar has some successes (Schobel) and failures (McCargo) on his record. But I think it is fair to say that, in Buffalo, he had nowhere near the raw material to work with that he has now.

nunusguy
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
It's a real failure of the highest magnitude for an NFL franchise if they can't get a player they used a first round pick for, especially thought enough of to trade up for in the Draft and then have the player not produce at a high enough level to secure a starting position on the team.
Lets hope that the Buffalo personnel guys just overrated this guys upside for the NFL instead of it being the fault of the coach to communicate and develope this kid enough to be productive.

TexansSeminole
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I do know Ellis was a good player in college.

BigBull17
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I'd go with truthful. WE did have a backup white DE man on man against Darren McFadden this year.... yet another reason our DC is gone!!!

So, my friend and I saw that play and had to rewind it to see if we were really dumb enough to do that. Crazy.

El Tejano
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
We also did it against Cleveland and Weaver got an interception out of it.

TheRealJoker
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
We also did it against Cleveland and Weaver got an interception out of it.

And Weaver has been burned numerous times in coverage...

El Tejano
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
And Weaver has been burned numerous times in coverage...

I don't like the play myself but if Weaver can get an interception no telling what Bullman can do. I'm just glad that Richard Smith isn't the DC.:fans:

TheRealJoker
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't like the play myself but if Weaver can get an interception no telling what Bullman can do. I'm just glad that Richard Smith isn't the DC.:fans:

Bulman? If anything he'd be worse in coverage than Weaver. LOL, are we seriously going to talk about the pros and cons of PUTTING OUR DL IN COVERAGE?!?!?!

GP
01-27-2009, 02:24 PM

This applies to Travis Johnson, too.

Lots of 1st rounders parade themselves as sure-thing NFL'ers.

I think Kollar has more to work with in Houston than he did in Buffalo. Plus, the morale is probably higher here than in Buffalo.

Taste the Kool Aid. It's great.

The Pencil Neck
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Bulman? If anything he'd be worse in coverage than Weaver. LOL, are we seriously going to talk about the pros and cons of PUTTING OUR DL IN COVERAGE?!?!?!

I believe that Smith had most of our linemen dropping into coverage at one time or another. That includes Bulman, Cocharn, Mario, Amobi, Deljuan, etc.

El Tejano
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

No pros and cons to talk about. I've always hated putting a DLineman in coverage, even when Buddy Ryans 4-6 called for it in Houston.

I just made a simple observation.

thunderkyss
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
No pros and cons to talk about. I've always hated putting a DLineman in coverage, even when Buddy Ryans 4-6 called for it in Houston.

I just made a simple observation.

I think it's a thing of Beauty, when JPep is snort'n and fuming at the LOS, got the QB all bothered.

The QB feels Pep coming to land one right between the numbers, so he hurries, throws the ball.......

and #90 standing 5-10 yards from the LOS gets a pick, then runs it in for a TD.

b0ng
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I think it's a thing of Beauty, when JPep is snort'n and fuming at the LOS, got the QB all bothered.

The QB feels Pep coming to land one right between the numbers, so he hurries, throws the ball.......

and #90 standing 5-10 yards from the LOS gets a pick, then runs it in for a TD.

And how many times has that happened in the last 7 seasons of football?

Unless you're talking about the whole TD part too, then we're at a different number.

TheRealJoker
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I think with Kollar's premium on "Works hard, good team guy, great motor" we will be targeting Paul Kruger in the 2nd or in the late 1st after a trade down. A more talented Tim Bulman, Kollar would love this guy :)

Triple347
01-31-2009, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=TheRealJoker;1107080 LOL, are we seriously going to talk about the pros and cons of PUTTING OUR DL IN COVERAGE?!?!?![/QUOTE]

That is the premise of a Zone Blitz. Considering Smith's more suited for a 3-4, it is understandable that he would use some 3-4 principles. The whole reason for dropping a linemen into coverage is to confuse the quarterback. For instance, he reads the blitz from the outside, reads hot, and there is the dlinemen for the deflection, pick or immediate hit. This is theoretically the way it should work. It definitely works better in a 3-4, obviously.

Battle-Red
01-31-2009, 06:35 PM
This applies to Travis Johnson, too.

Lots of 1st rounders parade themselves as sure-thing NFL'ers.

I think Kollar has more to work with in Houston than he did in Buffalo. Plus, the morale is probably higher here than in Buffalo.

Taste the Kool Aid. It's great.

Not that TJ has lived up to his draft status, but the guy has played out of position his pro career. He's a 3 technique DT that has played DE in the 3-4 and 2 technique DT in the 4-3. Square peg, round hole.

painekiller
02-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Not that TJ has lived up to his draft status, but the guy has played out of position his pro career. He's a 3 technique DT that has played DE in the 3-4 and 2 technique DT in the 4-3. Square peg, round hole.

He should have played the end the in Capers 3-4, instead they had him backing up Payne at the nose tackle position. TJ was a penetrator in college, and we have always asked him to hold up the blocker and then read the play.

That is also the trouble with Okoye, read react go, instead of go read . Penetration is the most disruptive thing a defense can do to an offense and our coaches have asked our guys to check the aggression to chase the play. When you penetrate you force the play,you are not chasing.

infantrycak
02-01-2009, 08:57 AM
That is also the trouble with Okoye, read react go, instead of go read . Penetration is the most disruptive thing a defense can do to an offense and our coaches have asked our guys to check the aggression to chase the play. When you penetrate you force the play,you are not chasing.

Was talking to Vinny yesterday about this. My analogy is the difference between the French Maginot line (Fangio/Smith) v. the German counter attack (hopefully Bush) philosophy. One let's the O bring the fight to you and the other tries to take it to the O.

MightyTExan
02-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Penetration is the most disruptive thing a defense can do to an offense and our coaches have asked our guys to check the aggression to chase the play. When you penetrate you force the play,you are not chasing.

Totally agree. Perfect example, our first game against the Steelers.