PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards out in KC...Shanahan in?

TexanSam
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.

Edwards was 15-34 in three seasons with the Chiefs, including 2-14 this season. He had one year remaining on his original four-year, $12 million contract.

"On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a team statement. "After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

"This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reports that the Chiefs are targeting Shanahan and negotiations have occurred, according to sources.

Shanahan could not be reached for comment and Chiefs had no comment.

bah007
01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
If ESPN is reporting it then it likely won't happen...

DiehardChris
01-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Mort at ESPN said it was going down... Schefter at NFL Net says it isn't. Heh.

So ESPN now is backpeddling?

Pantherstang84
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Shanahan to another team in his former division?

lol: If true, I hope he runs the score up on the Donkeys everytime he plays them.

BTW...It was about time that Herm the Worm got the hook. He is soooo overrated.

Ryan
01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
If Shanahan is in, I think it guarantees that LJ is out. But I'm not trying to say that the Texans should look into him.

texanhead08
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
The Texans wouldnt even think of messing with LJ. He has had way too may run ins with the law and we all know how Bob McNair feels about that.

Texecutioner
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Shanahan to another team in his former division?

lol: If true, I hope he runs the score up on the Donkeys everytime he plays them.

BTW...It was about time that Herm the Worm got the hook. He is soooo overrated.

I like Herm, but he isn't that great of a coach. I think he would be a very good coordinator though right now that I would love to have.

texanhead08
01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I hope you realize Herm has never been a coordinator. He was the Sec coach when he got the Jets gig.

Texans_Chick
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Schefter says bs and I believe him because he is buds with Shanahan.

Kaiser Toro
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I bet the Chargers are watching closely and so should Norv Turner. How much would they love Shanny and Shanny in 2010? And how cool of a gig would that be for the family?

The Chiefs could be mucking up things, or it could be a nice trial balloon from the Shanahan team.

Of course that is just a narrative I am promoting and does not have one ounce of empirical data to support it.

Texecutioner
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I hope you realize Herm has never been a coordinator. He was the Sec coach when he got the Jets gig.

Well he has been a head coach. He knows about defense obviously and while he may not have been a coordinator before, I have no reason to see why he wouldn't be able to handle it just fine sine he's been a head coach for at least 5 years now. Herm hasn't been great or anything but he hasn't been that bad either. He made the playoffs with the Jets like twice I believe when Pennington was healthy, but Pennington would get hurt for the whole season and that would be it, and their division was with the SB Patriots.

He was okay in KC, but they haven't really had much talent out there. They could have over achieved, but they still wouldn't have ever gotten that far with the KC squads Herm has had to work with out there. Like I said, I wouldn't want him for a head coach right now, but I surely wouldn't mind having him for a defensive coordinator where he could just focus on that side of the ball and those specific players each week. I think he would be a good coordinator. He motivates players pretty well.

LonerATO
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

Dont believe anything ESPN says =p

TexanSam
01-24-2009, 11:41 AM
It's always nice when ESPN screws up. Either they still think Shanahan has a shot at becoming the coach or they're just stubborn because they haven't changed their story yet

ATX
01-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Why can't this thread be Jeff Fisher out in TN.....Capers in?

:headhurts:

gary
01-24-2009, 12:15 PM

:headhurts:Never in a mill years.

mexican_texan
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM

:headhurts:
Because it will probably be more like: "Fisher out in Tenn., Will Muschamp In."

texanhead08
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Bud should hire Hugh Campbell since it worked so good the first time.

Chicagotexan1
01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I swear I thought Herm had only been in KC 2 seasons. Not that I think he is an exceptional HC, but the ex-GM really screwed the pooch long before Edwards got there and made it tough for Herm.

cuppacoffee
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Bud should hire Hugh Campbell since it worked so good the first time.

I'd prefer he hire Hugh "Bones" Taylor myself.

:coffee: