PDA

View Full Version : Rick Smith on the Draft and FA

RipTraxx
01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Nothing TOO exciting but a good interview none the less.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5119

False Start
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Cool video. It sounds like they will be going defense as much as they can in the draft. I like how he talks about bringing Dunta back. It had Brooke Bentley in it too, so thats always a plus. :cool:

Blake
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
He is gonna be a busy man for the next 4 months.

I thought it was funny how he said "before you know it, it will be April" but from a Texans fan, and especially draft fans, April can't come soon enough. :P

barrett
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
was it just me or did Rick seem suprisingly less generic in some of his emphasis. the words were the same. he's a politician, but there were some strange smirks here and there. he seemed to be doing a poor job of remaining deadpan confident. makes me wonder if there is a shakeup brewing.

of course i could just be reading WAY too much into it.

Rick Smith = Good

Go Texans.

Pantherstang84
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
was it just me or did Rick seem suprisingly less generic in some of his emphasis. the words were the same. he's a politician, but there were some strange smirks here and there. he seemed to be doing a poor job of remaining deadpan confident. makes me wonder if there is a shakeup brewing.

of course i could just be reading WAY too much into it.

Rick Smith = Good

Go Texans.

I'm going with the bold print.

barrett
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
me too. what a fool that guy is. who posted that comment?

Kaiser Toro
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I liked that he mentioned it is a deep class for LB's and S's. Character remained as a variable they will consider in the off season..

beerlover
01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I liked that he mentioned it is a deep class for LB's and S's. Character remained as a variable they will consider in the off season..

leaves impression go after best DE available @ #15 or trade down :)

ObsiWan
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I think that when you look at our football team on the defensive side of the ball, I think you can always improve athleticism. I think, in addition to some of those things, you can always improve your corner position. You can never have enough men that can cover. And so you’re always looking to improve yourself on the edge that way. I think a big-time safety – I think (S) Eugene Wilsonhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif did a nice job for us when he had his opportunities to play. So, I certainly would expect him to continue, provided that we can get him signed back. He’s an unrestricted free agent, as you know. And so, we want to continue to build on some of those things, but then to add another pass rusher maybe opposite Mario (Williams) like (head coach) Gary (Kubiak) is talking about. And I think overall, improve the athleticism on that side of the ball, I think we’ll be fine.

what I heard...
1. Faggins is gone unless they need him for S/Ts; Reeves will be one of the highest paid nickelbacks in the league
2. Ball hawking FS on the first day of the draft
3. Speed rusher on the first day of the draft
4. We need more speed.

TimeKiller
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
The way I heard it he's probably going to continue spending a mid round pick on a cornerback.

2007 - 4th round - Fred Bennett
2008 - 3rd round - Antwaun Molden

Who fits the mold in 2009?

leebigeztx
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I think there is a time and place for everything and that includes drafting and signing for the texans. Their biggest need is pass rusher oposite mario. You're not getting that guy in the draft. That's what Jags tried to do and u we see what happened with that. Minny did the smart thing aand got proven commodity in Allen. The texans need to get Haynesworth, Suggs, or Peppers. A lower cost uy that would help is Bertran Berry.

I like Wilson at safety and loking at the draft, there aren't any high caliber safeties in the draft. Again, they have a few options including moving either Bennett or Molden to safety.Bennett is avery god tackler and has good size. Tenard jackson, charles godfrey, were both recent college safeties. Converting Bennett to safety would cure lot of those ills back there.

hookinreds
01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
What I got out of it was that the Titans could all kiss his ass!

Hottoddie
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
The way I heard it he's probably going to continue spending a mid round pick on a cornerback.

2007 - 4th round - Fred Bennett
2008 - 3rd round - Antwaun Molden

Who fits the mold in 2009?

Captain Munnerlyn - South Carolina
Joe Burnett - Central Florida

Keep an eye on this guy as a darkhorse candidate.

Domonique Johnson - Jackson State