PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak's hireing-archy

barrett
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
i found this story on the afc south blog but didn't want to put it in the name calling denver thread:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-446/Familiarity-breeds-confidence-for-Kubiak.html

Kubiak's modest, mega honest approach is very appealing to me..

"I don't know if I know what I'm doing," he said, pausing to allow for my laughter. "We'll find out down the road. But that [criticism] doesn't concern me. I'm going to surround myself with people that work hard and do a good job. If I know that about them, then heck, that makes me more comfortable and they know situations. If it comes from somebody I haven't worked with or have just gotten to know, I don't get too consumed with that, I'm just trying to put the best staff together."

Go Texans

edit: found this too
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-444/Kubiak-optimistic-about-Molden--Diles-and-Brown.html

Ckw
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
i found this story on the afc south blog but didn't want to put it in the name calling denver thread:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-446/Familiarity-breeds-confidence-for-Kubiak.html

Kubiak's modest, mega honest approach is very appealing to me..

Go Texans

edit: found this too
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-444/Kubiak-optimistic-about-Molden--Diles-and-Brown.html

Thanks man. Good articles. I am very excited about the upcoming season and the more I read about Kubiak's hires, the more I like them. I really believe Kubiak is trying to give this team an identity. He really seems to have a clear concept of what he wants this team to look like. And that is a big plus! If Frank Bush does what he is claiming and really gets after the QB, we could be a team that opposing QBs fear. I can't wait to see.

El Tejano
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
LZ said that Koller used to work with his dad. That would have to be Pittsburgh if I'm not mistaken. If he can coach in Pittsburgh, chances are he's a pretty good coach.

RipTraxx
01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I really dont have any problem with Kubes hiring people he knows. Most of us in the working world have jobs or got a job b/c you knew somebody. Why would this be any different. Football is a game of trust anyway.

bah007
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
It says a lot about a head coach's character when he is not afraid to hire people who he knows are smarter than him (ex. Rhodes, Gibbs).

I think we have the right guy. It is hard to wait for success, especially when teams like Miami and Atlanta turned it around in only one year. But we are on the rise and I suspect us to continue moving up.

infantrycak
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
LZ said that Koller used to work with his dad. That would have to be Pittsburgh if I'm not mistaken. If he can coach in Pittsburgh, chances are he's a pretty good coach.

Zierlein is currently with Pittsburgh but had a prior stint with Buffalo.

It says a lot about a head coach's character when he is not afraid to hire people who he knows are smarter than him (ex. Rhodes, Gibbs).

How about proven rather than smarter? I don't know how you could judge the relative intelligence of the three.

Interesting L(arry)Z comment:

How do you see things working out with Max (Starks)?

Just exactly like it ended up last year. He’ll get a chance to compete again. There is no secrecy here. I read on a blog or something that Willie was going to guard. That’s the first I’ve heard about it.

Your son is the one who wrote about it.

I know that. That’s the blog! I said where did you get that? And he said, “Well, I always just envisioned him as a guard.” I told him, “Well, you know where it looks like it came from, don’t you?”

Link (http://news.steelers.com/article/88790/)

bah007
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
...How about proven rather than smarter? I don't know how you could judge the relative intelligence of the three...

That's closer to what I mean.

I meant from a fan's perspective. A fan might see those guys as smarter or better coaches because they are more proven.

Texan_Bill
01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Zierlein is currently with Pittsburgh but had a prior stint with Buffalo.

And Cleveland.

El Tejano
01-23-2009, 08:40 AM
What I like is how Kubiak said that even if he goes with a coach he's never worked with, he still contacts those he has worked with about that coach. Anyone remember how many coaches Kubiak contacted before getting Schaub? I think that is important to note that he does his diligence even though he doesn't seem like it.

Specnatz
01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
What I like is how Kubiak said that even if he goes with a coach he's never worked with, he still contacts those he has worked with about that coach. Anyone remember how many coaches Kubiak contacted before getting Schaub? I think that is important to note that he does his diligence even though he doesn't seem like it.

Since the chron did not report any of this and a few people were really getting onto Kubiak about not doing any real investigation about his coaching choices.