PDA

View Full Version : KC Joyner on the Texans Defense

Texans_Chick
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey, I know the offseason is long, so I put this post together over at the Chron blog:

Interview with ESPN's KC Joyner primarily about the Texans secondary (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/01/interview_with_espns_kc_joyner_1.html)

I thought his answers were pretty interesting. I'd put an excerpt of the most interesting parts, but really, I found it interesting throughout.

If you like this post, I would welcome you to leave a brief comment over there commenting on the interview. By doing so, you are demonstrating that there is a market for substantive football talk about the Texans. Nothing combative, but just talking about the substance of the post.

Texan_Bill
01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Me: The Texans are going to have to make a decision with Dunta Robinson who is a unrestricted free agent going into this offseason. They have the option to franchise him for a year if they want more time to assess how his damaged hamstring/knee heals up more this offseason. When Robinson was in the lineup in 2008, the Texans were 7-4 and with him in the starting lineup, they were 5-1. Any thoughts about Robinson's play?

KC: "I've had good and bad things to say about Robinson over the years but in the case of a franchise tag, all I can say is look at his YPA metrics over the past five seasons:

2008 - 7.5
2007 - 8.0
2006 - 7.4
2005 - 9.3
2004 - 6.6

To put these into perspective, consider that a YPA of 7.5 or better will typically rank a cornerback in the upper half of the league. Robinson's YPA has been at or near the 7.5 mark twice, has been below it once and has been above it twice. If that's a franchise level cornerback, I'm a Pulitzer prize winner. He's worth re-signing at the right price but I wouldn't break the bank on him."

Interesting thoughts on Dunta. Kinda where I'm at with him.

PS. If I haven't said it before Steph, thanks for the great job that you do.

Texans_Chick
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
If you like this post, I would welcome you to leave a brief comment over there commenting on the interview. By doing so, you are demonstrating that there is a market for substantive football talk about the Texans. Nothing combative, but just talking about the substance of the post.

Oh, and unlike commenting to Chron.com articles, you do not have to register to leave a comment. Just leave a name and email addy (they don't collect those or do anything with them). It takes no time at all.

utahmark
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Interesting thoughts on Dunta. Kinda where I'm at with him.

PS. If I haven't said it before Steph, thanks for the great job that you do.

if the only thing he brought to the table was his cover skills, i would be with you. but he does a lot more for this team than just cover wide recievers.

gtexan02
01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
if the only thing he brought to the table was his cover skills, i would be with you. but he does a lot more for this team than just cover wide recievers.

Exactly. YPA is a very limited stat, because it does not provide any indication for run support. CBs nowadays are being asked to do more than just play pass defense. His leadership role, tackling, and run support make him more valueable to this team than numbers alone can indicate

gtexan02
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Me: In a forward focused view of the Texans, what do you think the key things they need to do to become a playoff caliber team?

KC: "The first thing they need is a ballhawk or two. With the kind of pressure their defensive line should be able to generate, the Texans secondary should be snagging a ton of interceptions but they had only 12 of them. They also had only 10 near interceptions in the games I've tracked, which is a terribly low number (20 or more for a season is solid total here).

This is what I've felt for a long time. I don't know if our players aren't "ballhawks" or if they are being coached not to make plays on the ball. Its difficult to discern coaching from natural ability

Texan_Bill
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM

That's why I still do like him - because he does bring more to the table. I just have a problem when people think he's among the elite shut-down corners in the league.

D-ReK
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Dunta is a tough one to figure out. His on-field production is good, but not great. He makes a few plays, and seems to get beat on a few plays every game. That being said, how much of that can be attributed to the 10 yard cushion that Smith/Hoke seemed to adore? Either way, stats don't tell the whole tale on him. He plays very well in run support and brings a fire to this team that was desperately lacking without him. I don't think he's worth elite CB money, but I wouldn't be outraged if that's what he ended up getting when it's all said and done.

Tailgate
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I think it shows pretty much what we all already know....that we have to get to the QB next year. At the top of our needs is obviously a DE pass rushing threat opposite Mario as well as a big fat DT to absorb double teams and free up Okoye. A fierce DL will only make our current stable of CBs that much better. I think we can definitely get by with what we have currently (Molden should hopefully be a stud in the making). I mean when has our secondary ever had the luxury of a legit DL causing havoc and forcing multiple bad decisions? Throw in the ball hawking safety and its the two main issues he brings up that will hopefully be addressed heading into next year.

Texans_Chick
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
This is what I've felt for a long time. I don't know if our players aren't "ballhawks" or if they are being coached not to make plays on the ball. Its difficult to discern coaching from natural ability

Hard to say.

I attended a high school coaching clinic in 2006 taught by the Texans coaching staff. I made a point of going to the session taught by Jon Hoke because I knew a lot of people were high on him but I wasn't seeing it.

He spent a lot of time talking about coverage techniques and gave us a handout about drills he did. I really didn't have a sense that he focused much on ballhawking skills with his drills or teachings. But maybe that was just to the audience that we were.

Errant Hothy
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Joyner's stuff usually leads to some good discussion but this bothered me.

"The concerns probably had to do less with playcalling than it did how the defense didn't play up to its talent level. For instance, their defensive line has as much physical talent as just about any in the league and yet the team ended up with only 25 sacks.

Even though I agree that the Texans D-line has yet to play up to it's talent, I just cannot accept that it was the primary issue with this D. I think the bright spots we saw towards the end of the season were more about adjustments in scheme and playcalling, then players suddenly playing up to their talents levels.

TEXANS84
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Good job TC, good read. I don't listen to 1560 too often, but that's hilarious about the "Petey's".

Texan_Bill
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Good job TC, good read. I don't listen to 1560 too often, but that's hilarious about the "Petey's".

I always laugh when they joke about the "Peteys" and LZ yells.. "Oh Petey"

Porky
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
When Robinson was in the lineup in 2008, the Texans were 7-4 and with him in the starting lineup, they were 5-1. Any thoughts about Robinson's play?

That whole sentence doesn't make any sense.

Kaiser Toro
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

The Texans were 2-3 when he did not start, in the games that he actually played. We were 1-4 when he was inactive.

11 Games Played, 6 Starts.

IlliniJen
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM

First stat is Dunta playing period. The second is him STARTING. Remember, he came of the bench the first couple of games back.

Is that right, TC?

gtexan02
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Theres a difference between playing and starting

Porky
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Ya I re-read the sentence again. It was poorly worded but now that I read it again I follow what she is saying.

Good read and thanks as always TC!

PHAROAH
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Not only do the players have to get better but the scheme must be better as well. Frank Bush stated that they will attack on defense he has to have the right players for that type of scheme plus the coaching must be on point.

Texans_Chick
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Ya I re-read the sentence again. It was poorly worded but now that I read it again I follow what she is saying.

Good read and thanks as always TC!

Haha.

Given when and where I write a lot of these posts, it is amazing that they are comprehensible at all.

I have to sneak time to work on this stuff so sometimes they are written in a bunch of different times-late at night, early in the morning, some random place here or there.

I got a laptop for my birthday last year and that helped out some, along with more places having wireless. But it also means that I often am writing things with a bunch of other stuff going on around me.

jdog
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Do you have anything on the linebackers?

thunderkyss
01-19-2009, 02:29 PM

If he would cover wide recievers, I'd be on your side of the fence.

We should make an attempt to keep him, maybe offer him more than another team would give him. But we should let him test FA before we put a number out there, and end up overpaying.

He should in no way, get a silly Asante Samuels deal.

Asante Samuels shouldn't have either, but that's neither here nor there.

ChampionTexan
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
And TC's blog gets a link (with misleading/incorrect description) on PFT.

PFT.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/19/monday-afternoon-one-liners-2/)

Errant Hothy
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Should I be that surprised that Joyner's statement that Reeve's is better then we rate him is being pretty much glossed over?

ChampionTexan
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Should I be that surprised that Joyner's statement that Reeve's is better then we rate him is being pretty much glossed over?

Nope - most folks see what they choose to see. (and how about the comment on the D-line talent).

thunderkyss
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Getting to the point, Dunta is worth a serious consideration because he is one of the few good draft picks we've had in the first round and I would like him to stay as a Texan because I would hate for him to leave and sign with a rival like Jacksonville or Tennesse and then have him tear our WRs corps apart during games.

If we're happy with Dunta's play, we might as well be happy with Weaver & Greenwood.

Really, what's the difference?

utahmark
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
If we're happy with Dunta's play, we might as well be happy with Weaver & Greenwood.

i think your being a little harsh. even if you consider daunta and ave to below ave cover guy his other skills make him an above ave player. Greenwood doesnt bring anything to the table.

im taking a wait and see approach with Weaver. he was a good player untill he came here, and i saw some flashes from him at the end of the year once we started getting more aggresive. he may help us next year(if he's still here).

RipTraxx
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
i think your being a little harsh. even if you consider daunta and ave to below ave cover guy his other skills make him an above ave player. Greenwood doesnt bring anything to the table.

im taking a wait and see approach with Weaver. he was a good player untill he came here, and i saw some flashes from him at the end of the year once we started getting more aggresive. he may help us next year(if he's still here).

For the money we're paying weaver he hasnt done a thing.

infantrycak
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM

You mean other than quality of play, production, leadership, heart?

Polo
01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd bet another team would be willing to give Dunta a nice pay day...

TimeKiller
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I bet Dunta's best shot at a payday is in Houston.

If I were him, I'd probably take the elite price-tag off myself for incentives. If he truly is elite, he won't have any trouble getting them and if he isn't we won't have any trouble paying him a non-ridiculous salary.

SheTexan
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Exactly! Dunte will earn his salary, not like some of the others. He worked his butt off to come back from a serious injury, rather than CHOOSE to ride the pine and draw a paycheck. Respect carries a huge pricetag in this business, and I don't know of many main media blowhards that don't respect Dunta's work ethics, leadership abilities, and passion for the game. Those qualities will not go unnoticed. He will get the elite salary, somewhere!

thunderkyss
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

No, I mean incudling those things.

quality of play, KC mentioned in this article, that Dunta's production, as a CB has never been top of the league. Avg at best.

I'd say the same about Weaver & Greenwood.

If you want to judge Dunta's productivity as a safety, then we need to pay him like a safety, and Judge Greenwood like a safety, and Weaver like a....... cheerleader.

Leadership... isn't that what we brought Weaver over for?? Who knows where Mario would be if Weaver wasn't there. Same goes for Demeco and Greenwood. Sure Mario & Demeco are more talented than Weaver & Greenwood, but that's a different story.

& heart?? yeah, they've got heart too, if we're going to be handing out checks for heart, they ought to get something.

Errant Hothy
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd bet another team would be willing to give Dunta a nice pay day...

Nice...yes. A top 5 CB in the NFl payday...I'm not convinced he'd get that anywhere.

infantrycak
01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
No, I mean incudling those things.

quality of play, KC mentioned in this article, that Dunta's production, as a CB has never been top of the league. Avg at best.

I'd say the same about Weaver & Greenwood.

The next time Weaver and Greenwood get to be average will be the first time. They are much more in consideration for a discussion of what street free agent will replace them rather than if they have any hope of ever sniffing a performance to match their salaries.

Leadership... isn't that what we brought Weaver over for?? Who knows where Mario would be if Weaver wasn't there. Same goes for Demeco and Greenwood. Sure Mario & Demeco are more talented than Weaver & Greenwood, but that's a different story.

No really, you typed that? LOL.

& heart?? yeah, they've got heart too, if we're going to be handing out checks for heart, they ought to get something.

Sure, it is called vet minimum.

Nice...yes. A top 5 CB in the NFl payday...I'm not convinced he'd get that anywhere.

Exactly. He shouldn't get top tier money but is worth re-signing.

bckey
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Resigning Dunta is a no brainer. I wouldn't franchise him but I would give him a decent payday. If he shops around the NFL and gets an offer for more than the Texans are offering then match it unless it is top 5 money. In that case you have to let him go as much as I would hate that. IMHO I think he will resign with the Texans. It is a hard pill to swallow to get such a major injury going into a contract year. He knows it most likely cost him the type of payday he would have liked but he can always sign a short 1 or 2 year deal with the Texans and negotiate a new deal after next season. It would be risky for him but it could payoff if he gets back to 100% and doesn't get reinjured.

Lucky
01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Exactly. YPA is a very limited stat, because it does not provide any indication for run support.
Quantifying a player's performance is very difficult. Yards per attempt doesn't tell me if Dunta was in man or zone coverage. If he had help over the top or not. Whether he was on the opposition's #1 WR. Or if there was or wasn't pressure on the QB. Football players don't perform in a vacuum.

Which is why I think you have to take the analysis that Joyner, Football Outsiders, and Cold Hard Football Facts produce with a grain of salt. Combine the objective with some subjective. Trust what you see. I think if you do that in an honest (not homerish) manner, you would come to the conclusion that Robinson is a good football player that can help a team win.

Hopefully, the new defensive coordinator and secondary coach will put Dunta in a position where he can succeed. Like covering the slot receiver, and maybe blitzing from the edge. Allowing him to play facing the QB, rather than having to turn and run with the WR on the outside. And yes, I'm making an assumption that the Texans will re-sign Robinson. Because I believe the sum of his worth to the team is greater than the parts.

Joyner said that if you take away a couple of games against the Colts, Reeves stats are OK. Well then, take away some of the lousy QBs Reeves faced (Collins twice, Russell, the Bengals and Lions backups, whatever QB the Browns put on the field). What would Reeves stats look like then? I trust what I see. And what I see in Reeves is a guy who's athletic enough to play the CB position at a high level. But, doesn't have the instincts to play the position at a starting level. I'm hopeful that the new defensive coaches can get Fred Bennett's confidence back, and allow him to start over Reeves.

TexansFanatic
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Totally agree with KC on Dunta. He's not top tier talent. Having said that, you can't argue that the improvement in the defense didn't also happen to coincide with Dunta's return to the lineup....

infantrycak
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Joyner said that if you take away a couple of games against the Colts, Reeves stats are OK. Well then, take away some of the lousy QBs Reeves faced (Collins twice, Russell, the Bengals and Lions backups, whatever QB the Browns put on the field). What would Reeves stats look like then? I trust what I see. And what I see in Reeves is a guy who's athletic enough to play the CB position at a high level. But, doesn't have the instincts to play the position at a starting level. I'm hopeful that the new defensive coaches can get Fred Bennett's confidence back, and allow him to start over Reeves.

Reeves is so frustrating to watch. He clearly is one of the most athletic CB's in the league and can blanket most WR's and then he just doesn't make the play. You can't coach the athleticism. Let's hope part of Hoke being fired and Gibbs coming in is getting Reeves and Bennett to perform up to their athletic ability instead of down to whatever is going through their heads.

dalemurphy
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Quantifying a player's performance is very difficult. Yards per attempt doesn't tell me if Dunta was in man or zone coverage. If he had help over the top or not. Whether he was on the opposition's #1 WR. Or if there was or wasn't pressure on the QB. Football players don't perform in a vacuum.

Which is why I think you have to take the analysis that Joyner, Football Outsiders, and Cold Hard Football Facts produce with a grain of salt. Combine the objective with some subjective. Trust what you see. I think if you do that in an honest (not homerish) manner, you would come to the conclusion that Robinson is a good football player that can help a team win.

Hopefully, the new defensive coordinator and secondary coach will put Dunta in a position where he can succeed. Like covering the slot receiver, and maybe blitzing from the edge. Allowing him to play facing the QB, rather than having to turn and run with the WR on the outside. And yes, I'm making an assumption that the Texans will re-sign Robinson. Because I believe the sum of his worth to the team is greater than the parts.

The negativity towards Reeves baffles me. Basically, you are saying that he isn't a very good 2nd CB. I'll agree with that. I think he's servicable. You acknowledge his athletic ability. He's only 26 years old with about the same amount of NFL experience (in terms of on-the-field experience) as Bennett has. You're hopeful Fred Bennett can improve, but why aren't you hopeful that the 26 yr old JReeves with all his athleticism will improve?

Lucky
01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
You're hopeful Fred Bennett can improve, but why aren't you hopeful that the 26 yr old JReeves with all his athleticism will improve?
It's because after all of the stats and the trivia, I see Bennett as a CB with instincts and potential. And I see Reeves as a CB who plays like a robot. That's just what I see. Some guys are football players and some guys are athletes who get to play football. I think Reeves falls in the latter category.

BigBull17
01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Reeves is so frustrating to watch. He clearly is one of the most athletic CB's in the league and can blanket most WR's and then he just doesn't make the play. You can't coach the athleticism. Let's hope part of Hoke being fired and Gibbs coming in is getting Reeves and Bennett to perform up to their athletic ability instead of down to whatever is going through their heads.

Reeves would break your heart at times, and make you jump for joy at others. I like how he evolved over the year, and look forward to what he does next year.

TEXANRED
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm not. I said all year that Reeves had played a heck of a season and was a solid pick up. For that I got slammed. I think one person called be stupid, or asked if I was stupid, or drunk, or something along those lines. Reeves got a bad rap for playing in a system that did not fit his skills and the Texan Cowboy fans had a field day when he signed with us. And unfortunately some formed there opinion based on the bashing of Cowboy fans and never actually watched Reeves play.

Reeves is good. DRob is good. Both are very different players that brings a very different set of skills to the table. Reeves will stick to you like a shadow and DRob will knock you the F out. Together thay form a solid backfield. I however would not say that one is better or above the other.

TEXANRED
01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
. I'm hopeful that the new defensive coaches can get Fred Bennett's confidence back, and allow him to start over Reeves.

He first has to beat out Faggins for playing time, then we can talk about him starting.

I dont understand the Fred Bennett love fest. He had one good half season.

Texan JBZ
01-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm not. I said all year that Reeves had played a heck of a season and was a solid pick up. For that I got slammed. I think one person called be stupid, or asked if I was stupid, or drunk, or something along those lines. Reeves got a bad rap for playing in a system that did not fit his skills and the Texan Cowboy fans had a field day when he signed with us. And unfortunately some formed there opinion based on the bashing of Cowboy fans and never actually watched Reeves play.

Reeves is good. DRob is good. Both are very different players that brings a very different set of skills to the table. Reeves will stick to you like a shadow and DRob will knock you the F out. Together thay form a solid backfield. I however would not say that one is better or above the other.

I wouldn't call Reeves good. That's stretching it. He had his good plays, and he had a hell of a lot of bad plays. I personally like Bennett better. For whatever reason, Hoke or Richard Smith were impatient with him last year. He got benched after the first game. I didn't like the move because Bennett is too competitive to be on the bench imo.

Lucky
01-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Reeves is good. DRob is good. Both are very different players that brings a very different set of skills to the table. Reeves will stick to you like a shadow and DRob will knock you the F out. Together thay form a solid backfield.
After reading this, I don't understand how the Texans missed the playoffs. Or got their defensive coordinator fired.

I call it "Having a Kubiak".

texanhead08
01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I love Dunta the player but lets be real he is not worth the franchise tag and I hope we can sign him to a deal thats not retarded before it gets to that point. We are in good shape cap wise and I want it to stay that way.

TEXANRED
01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
After reading this, I don't understand how the Texans missed the playoffs. Or got their defensive coordinator fired.

I call it "Having a Kubiak".

Our pass D had actually improved from years past. We finally made it out of the 20's and into the teens.

Give us a safety that has some range and hands and we may break the 10 spot with Reeves and DRob.

Of course its the off season and I tend to make outlandish statements like that every year so TIFWW.

And I will take two Kubiaks please.

Jackie Chiles
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
He first has to beat out Faggins for playing time, then we can talk about him starting.

What I saw on this board was during the first half of the season the majority of people saw Reeves get beat early and often and voiced that here. As the season went on he got significantly better, as Joyner rightfully pointed out, and most people were pleasantly surprised by his play. I still can't believe that you would use Joyner to defend Reeves but write off the fact that according to Joyner not only did Bennet perform better metrically THIS season (8.0 ypa vs 8.5), but he was absolutely fantastic his rookie season, something that we have never seen from Reeves or even Dunta.

TEXANRED
01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
What I saw on this board was during the first half of the season the majority of people saw Reeves get beat early and often and voiced that here. As the season went on he got significantly better, as Joyner rightfully pointed out, and most people were pleasantly surprised by his play. I still can't believe that you would use Joyner to defend Reeves but write off the fact that according to Joyner not only did Bennet perform better metrically THIS season (8.0 ypa vs 8.5), but he was absolutely fantastic his rookie season, something that we have never seen from Reeves or even Dunta.

I will take what I can get. The Reeves band wagon is so empty even the wagon left.

Jackie Chiles
01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I will take what I can get. The Reeves band wagon is so empty even the wagon left.

Honestly, after the way that he finished up the season I have one foot on the bandwagon. If he can improve and show that kind of consistency over the course of an entire season I think he will be money well spent. However, I still think Bennet has more potential as a cover guy and in run support. Bennet's rookie year he was in the 4s on Joyner's metric system of YPA. We have discussed how that system can be misleading but I was pretty much sold on Bennet from watching him his rookie year. I found out after the season that according to Joyner he was one of the best metrically and I was officially hooked.

TEXANRED
01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Honestly, after the way that he finished up the season I have one foot on the bandwagon. If he can improve and show that kind of consistency over the course of an entire season I think he will be money well spent. However, I still think Bennet has more potential as a cover guy and in run support. Bennet's rookie year he was in the 4s on Joyner's metric system of YPA. We have discussed how that system can be misleading but I was pretty much sold on Bennet from watching him his rookie year. I found out after the season that according to Joyner he was one of the best metrically and I was officially hooked.

Reeves is a better cover guy than Robinson. And if Bennett turns out to be as great of a cover guy as the metric system points to then its DRobs spot he will take and not Reeves.

dalemurphy
01-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Reeves is a better cover guy than Robinson. And if Bennett turns out to be as great of a cover guy as the metric system points to then its DRobs spot he will take and not Reeves.

Honestly, Dunta is best playing over the slot receiver... He's a good blitzer and physical at the LOS. Ideally, Dunta would end up the 3rd CB, which means that we need two good ones between Reeves, Bennett, and Molden.. I feel pretty good about that possibility. Other than WR and OT (Brown, Winston, and BUTLER not Salaam!), I think CB is our deepest position going forward... How about them apples??

texansdrummer
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
In terms of priorities at this time, I want another solid attacker alongside Mario. This alone, may very well give all of us a totally different perspective on our secondary. Hopefully, with a renewed and more aggressive defensive approach, we can more accurately assess our secondary. We could add a "lock-down" player in the secondary, but without a solid pass rush, anyone will be beaten more than a desired amount. It all starts up front.

dalemurphy
01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
In terms of priorities at this time, I want another solid attacker alongside Mario. This alone, may very well give all of us a totally different perspective on our secondary. Hopefully, with a renewed and more aggressive defensive approach, we can more accurately assess our secondary. We could add a "lock-down" player in the secondary, but without a solid pass rush, anyone will be beaten more than a desired amount. It all starts up front.

A pass rushing DT is about the only thing I feel like we don't need on the DL. We need a big, mean guy that can take on 2 blockers. Okoye should be able to shoot gaps and rush the passer when he's freed to do so. Also, I really liked what I saw from Cochran at DT on passing downs before his injury and I also think Bulman would excel moving inside on passing downs- I want a run stuffing DT and a speed rushing DE... finally, a safety with some instincts and speed would be nice. IMO, only those three positions and cohesiveness are holding this defense back from being pretty darn good. Is that a lot?

Vinny
01-26-2009, 10:01 AM
A pass rushing DT is about the only thing I feel like we don't need on the DL. We need a big, mean guy that can take on 2 blockers. Okoye should be able to shoot gaps and rush the passer when he's freed to do so.
Okoye needs to be able to beat his man one on one, on a more frequent basis as step 1. The double teams are not needed most of the time so that draft talking point is overrated as a method of helping out Okoye methinks.

dalemurphy
01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Okoye needs to be able to beat his man one on one, on a more frequent basis as step 1. The double teams are not needed most of the time so that draft talking point is overrated as a method of helping out Okoye methinks.

Sure, I'm operating under the assumption that his poor play has more to do with the awful defensive coaching that he's been under than any lack of ability. I certainly don't know that to be the case, but it is worth noting that he had 5 sacks in his first few games as a pro and has deteriorated in production since then. I think that pattern points more to the coaching than the talent, particularly since he is widely regarded as a very coachable, hard working, and intelligent young man.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

BigBull17
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if Bennet could play FS. He has a little more size than DROb, and is a better ball hawk than he is in coverage.

bigbrewster2000
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I wonder if Bennet could play FS. He has a little more size than DROb, and is a better ball hawk than he is in coverage.

Molden probably fits better than Bennett would IMO

dalemurphy
01-26-2009, 01:11 PM

I actually think Bennett is a poor tackler. He is willing and fairly physical at the CB position but he drops his head and loses eye contact to quickly and has some other technical weaknesses. So, I wouldn't want him in the middle of the field tackling RBs and TEs.

El Tejano
01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
He kind of has been a lossed man in all this conversation. It would be great to see him have a good solid year and develop.

bigbrewster2000
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I actually think Bennett is a poor tackler. He is willing and fairly physical at the CB position but he drops his head and loses eye contact to quickly and has some other technical weaknesses. So, I wouldn't want him in the middle of the field tackling RBs and TEs.

Yeah that was my point with wanting Molden back there. He showed his tackling skills well on special teams this season.