PDA

View Full Version : So No Gruden, No Cowher, No Dungy, No Shanahan

HoustonFrog
01-16-2009, 10:58 PM
That is alot of SB coached out there just hanging out or doing whatever....YET....losing teams, etc keep their coaches and Dallas keeps Wade. I'm not sure what is going on out there right now. Seems like a time to cut and paste.

ChampionTexan
01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
That is alot of SB coached out there just hanging out or doing whatever....YET....losing teams, etc keep their coaches and Dallas keeps Wade. I'm not sure what is going on out there right now. Seems like a time to cut and paste.

You left out Holmgren.

texasguy346
01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
It seems like a lot of teams are trying to follow the trend of bringing in young coordinators as first time head coaches. The NFL is a copy cat league, and this year we saw three rookie head coaches lead their teams to the playoffs.

Hervoyel
01-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I think we're seeing the normal cycle of the NFL. Every decade or so it seems a wave of coordinators gets their shot at being a head coach over the course of a couple of seasons. Out of that group one or more may do well. The rest will get another shot or two before settling back into the coordinator pack and then the league will have enough guys ready to retread to last them through another decade.

They could just keep retreading the same guys forever but the fans eventually catch on and won't accept a known bad coach.

Once a coach has had some success somewhere he can get retreaded more times. Gruden can probably get two more coaching jobs at least before he ceases to be viable.

HoustonFrog
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
I think we're seeing the normal cycle of the NFL. Every decade or so it seems a wave of coordinators gets their shot at being a head coach over the course of a couple of seasons. Out of that group one or more may do well. The rest will get another shot or two before settling back into the coordinator pack and then the league will have enough guys ready to retread to last them through another decade.

They could just keep retreading the same guys forever but the fans eventually catch on and won't accept a known bad coach.

Once a coach has had some success somewhere he can get retreaded more times. Gruden can probably get two more coaching jobs at least before he ceases to be viable.

I can't stand the cycle of retreading. It's why I never wanted Norv or Wade..better coordinators than coaches. But it seems this coaching crop out of work may have more to offer and weren't doing horrible jobs when they left. Shanahan and Gruden you can make arguments against...same with Holmgren...but Dungy and Cowher were/are still pretty strong. The one problem I have with some coaches being too young is respect. You might get it a year or two but then comes a time when the wrong players think they have been around longer than you and they stop listening.

b0ng
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Schottenheimer, Billick. . . I think teams know what they'll get with these coaches and are looking at great individual units (Pats offense '07, Giants defense '07, etc) and wanting that instead.

Goldensilence
01-17-2009, 10:30 AM
HF there is some good coaching talent out there now but Jerry isn't looking for a coach. IF he's looking for a coach he would've sucked it up and kept Bill around. Jerry is looking for a yes man.

thunderkyss
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
It's Guaranteed that this year's Super Bowl winning coach, will be a first time winner.

3:4 chance that coach will have 2 years or less with his team.

If you look at all 16 playoff teams, I think it's got the same "feel" to it. What do you think an owner/gm is supposed to think, when they are in danger of loosing a Raheem Morris, or Jason Garrett, or Rex Ryan??

kastofsna
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
it's all cyclical. last year 3 out of 4 coaches in the championship games were long-time veterans of the game. this year it's all young coaches. next year it'll probably be all old coaches again. and so on. the hiring practices are ridiculous.