PDA

View Full Version : LT may be nearing end in San Diego?

gtexan02
01-16-2009, 09:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3838617

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers appear to be bracing their fans for the possibility that LaDainian Tomlinson's brilliant eight-year run with the team could be over.

According to the team's Web site, club president Dean Spanos called the star running back Thursday to discuss reports that the Chargers might part with Tomlinson, who has been slowed by injuries the last two postseasons and will count $8.8 million against the salary cap next year.

"We talked about the situation and I just tried to explain everything that must be considered," Spanos said in a story detailing the offseason decisions the team must make. "I told him we haven't even started our discussions and won't for a while, so don't jump to any conclusions. And I told him I would call him personally to make sure he's aware of everything that's going on."

Crazy Stuff

Brando
01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Let me the first to ask it and get it out of the way, What about LT in Houston?

gtexan02
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Let me the first to ask it and get it out of the way, What about LT in Houston?

Well, he is at that scary age for running backs....the big 3-0.

That being said, he still gained 1100 yards this year and it was the worst of hsi career. I think he's got at least 2-3 years left of 1000+ seasons, and then he'll start to fall off

PapaL
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM

That being said, he still gained 1100 yards this year and it was the worst of hsi career. I think he's got at least 2-3 years left of 1000+ seasons, and then he'll start to fall off

That sounds familiar...who else did folks say that about?

TexansLucky13
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eis5Dk9Ygf0a/610x.jpg

We don't need him.

:texflag:

Specnatz
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM

He has also been hurt the last two years going into the playoffs. I would not trade a thing for him. Build through the draft and UFA players only.

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Ahman "the monster" Green!

amirite?

gtexan02
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM

I see your point, but the difference would be 2 fold.

1) LT is a future hall of famer
2) LT would be brought in to share duties/score

Hervoyel
01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
I see your point, but the difference would be 2 fold.

1) LT is a future hall of famer
2) LT would be brought in to share duties/score

And you make a very good point. If Tomlinson wanted to come back to Texas to finish up his career, AND understood that he would be playing the role of "complimentary back" to Steve Slaton, AND was willing to take the kind of money that a player doing that should be paid (considerable but not exceptional bank) then it might work.

I just don't know if I've ever seen an NFL player accept the reality of his situation like that before and doubt LT would be the first to do so.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I agree. I'd love to pair Slaton and LT as a committee, but LT is not going to take the pay cut of being in a role like that. I can guarantee you guys that he doesn't think he has lost anything yet. Him being more of just a good RB in this league is still new to him, so he hasn't exactly come to grips yet that he isn't the MEGA MONSTER RUNNING BACK of the NFL anymore. We need to get another young stud who can pound the ball inside the 10.

toronto
01-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Christ, I would cut Fatty Fatty Fat Fat so fast to pair him up with CJ for 1-2 seasons....

He ain't done yet.

mexican_texan
01-17-2009, 12:38 AM
We could transition tag Dunta and trade him for LT. Just sayin.

nunusguy
01-17-2009, 06:59 AM
LT would really be worried if he knew that running backs are a dime a dozen.

Specnatz
01-17-2009, 11:11 AM

They are easier to come by, more so than for other position.

Pantherstang84
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
We could transition tag Dunta and trade him for LT. Just sayin.

Oh come on! Really?

gtexan02
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Since coming into the league 8 years ago, LT has averaged
1460 rushing yards per season
16 rushing TDs per season

475 receiving yards per season
2 receiving TDs per season

20 passing yards per season
and 1 passing TD per season

Those are not "dime a dozen" numbers

Pantherstang84
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Christ, I would cut Fatty Fatty Fat Fat so fast to pair him up with CJ for 1-2 seasons....

He ain't done yet.

We'll take your Fatty Fatty Fat Fat cause we need a thumper! See if you can get LT off of the training table in week 18 next year.

We already had the Ahman Green experiment here in Houston. We don't need Part Deaux!

gtexan02
01-17-2009, 11:45 AM
We'll take your Fatty Fatty Fat Fat cause we need a thumper! See if you can get LT off of the training table in week 18 next year.

We already had the Ahman Green experiment here in Houston. We don't need Part Deaux!

I know LT is having some injury problems this year, but over his 8 year career, he has missed ONE regular season game. I mean, sheesh, he has averaged 330 rushing attempts and 60 catches a year for his career. Thats nearly 400 touches a season

On the other hand, Green averaged 200 attempts per year with 40 catches in his 9 years prior to Houston.

LT's average stats are better than Green's best years.

I am fine with saying "He's too old. 30 is dangerous" But dont' compare the guy to Ahman Green. There are plenty of examples of Hall of Fame RBs who lose a little, but are still hella-productive late into their careers

b0ng
01-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Yes hall of fame runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Pantherstang84
01-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I know LT is having some injury problems this year, but over his 8 year career, he has missed ONE regular season game. I mean, sheesh, he has averaged 330 rushing attempts and 60 catches a year for his career. Thats nearly 400 touches a season

On the other hand, Green averaged 200 attempts per year with 40 catches in his 9 years prior to Houston.

LT's average stats are better than Green's best years.

I am fine with saying "He's too old. 30 is dangerous" But dont' compare the guy to Ahman Green. There are plenty of examples of Hall of Fame RBs who lose a little, but are still hella-productive late into their careers

I was on board with the Green signing for the same reasons folks are pining for LT. He will will want feature back money.

Paying big money to an RB with little tread left on the tires? Been there done that. Fool me once...

PapaL
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
It's not an age thing it's a carries thing. Ahman broke down well before the number of carries LT has had. LT is already showing signs of wear and tear from the massive amounts of touches and hits he's had.

THAT is my point.

Yeah he might have a good strech or two over the next few years but thinking the same thing that happened to Green is not going to happen to LT is crazy.

Green - 2390 career touches in 11 seasons; 2,015 rush, 375 rec
LT - 3167 career touches in 8 seasons; 2,657 rush, 510 rec

We know what happened with the Green experiment. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have LT...the LT from a few years ago. Yeah he's missed one game in his career, but how many games has he finished lately?

Specnatz
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes hall of fame runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Isn't this the logic Arizona used when they signed Emmit Smith when they did? I rather draft another runningback in the second round and save the cap money to use on another position that needs strengthening.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Tomlinson has helped me appear in the Finals of several fantasy leagues over the years. I love me some Ladanian.

BUT.

I don't think he's right for us. He doesn't realize he's on the downside of his career. He still thinks he's the best back in the league and he's going to expect to be paid like it. If he doesn't get the touches he thinks he deserves, he's going to ***** about his productivity looking low because of the low number of touches. He hasn't been a bad guy in the locker room up to this point but that changes when guys start to age.

I just don't think he's got much left in the tank and I don't think the price is going to be right. I'd prefer to build through the draft instead of making trades that are going to hurt us in the long term.

mexican_texan
01-17-2009, 02:30 PM
One thing someone brought up on the Dan Patrick show about this: LT has had huge holes to run through the past few years. The line struggled this year and he couldn't find anything, but Darren Sproles could because he's smaller and quicker through the hole.