PDA

View Full Version : John Gruden Fired!!!!

HOU-TEX
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Per Adma Schefler of NFL.com Gruden has been fired from the Bucs. More to come.

From Rotoworld:

NFL Networks' Adam Schefter reports that the Bucs have fired coach Jon Gruden and GM/Team President Bruce Allen.

Gruden was always able to scrape out offensive production out of poor talent, but the player procurement during his reign with GM Bruce Allen was awful. It's unclear if Allen will stay, but he's been a terrible drafter dating back to his Oakland days. Since Gruden Jan. 16 - 5:55 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=138078

Showtime100
01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Per Adma Schefler of NFL.com Gruden has been fired from the Bucs. More to come.

I knew it!! I didn't say a word on the board so I guess I can't say that, but he had a tough act to follow and nowhere to go but down, and down he went.

D-ReK
01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Demescus/ohgod.gif

Wow I can't say I saw this coming. Where does Tampa go from here? Perhaps they move Raheem Morris up to HC?

What are the possible destinations for Gruden? Maybe KC? I'm calling a return to Oakland!

Double Barrel
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow! I thought Shanahan was a shocker, but this one takes the cake.

Both will land on their feet, though.

axman40
01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
“We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,” said Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer. “However, after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.”
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e29923&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

HOU-TEX
Wow! I thought Shanahan was a shocker, but this one takes the cake.

Both will land on their feet, though.

Strangely enough, the GM was fired too. Leads me to believe that Shanahan might be headin to Tampa. Possible?

Maddict5
i just saw that

my initial reaction: holy crap
my second reaction: do they have a good d-line coach

Specnatz
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah I am shocked. WOW this sure has been crazy with so many coaches getting canned in one year.

D-ReK
01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
i just saw that

Their DL coach was former Broncos DC Larry Coyer. He resigned after the season so he could pursue other things (like being the DL coach of the Texans). I'm not sure if they hired a replacement.

Silver Oak
i just saw that

ha ha! ditto here!

Errant Hothy
That is surprising, makes you wonder who might be next.

Nawzer
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Who know what the hell really goes on within an organization but this caught me off guard. Gruden will find another job and should be fine but Tampa may not be so well off.

DiehardChris
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd bet quite a lot of money that it's going to be Shanahan.

SheTexan
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Gruden led TB to the SB due to Tony Dungys years of preparing that team, not because of anything super brilliant he did all by himself. I'm not really surprised by the move, just that it took them so long to do it.

ATXtexanfan
always thought he was overrated, his ring carries as much weight as switzers

b0ng
Didn't they erect a statue of this guy once they won the superbowl?

RTP2110
01-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Gruden led TB to the SB due to Tony Dungys years of preparing that team, not because of anything super brilliant he did all by himself. I'm not really surprised by the move, just that it took them so long to do it.

Not to mention in that SB he played an Oakland team that he knew EVERYTHING about.

4Texans
01-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Not to mention in that SB he played an Oakland team that he knew EVERYTHING about.

So true. The stars were in line for him that year.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Gruden needed to go. He had a horrible relationship with a lot of the players over there. He is a very stubborn coach and never could figure out his QB situation. He also failed to bring in a lot of play makers in that offense. They stayed primarily as a defensive minded team. Gruden needed to go.

Sal Rosenberg
01-16-2009, 06:53 PM
:ohsnap:

4Texans
01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't see us being interested in the D Line Coach..........

Todd Wash

Defensive line coach; born July 19, 1968, Miles City, Mont. Linebacker North Dakota State 1988-1991. No pro playing experience. College coach: Fort Lewis College 1996-99, Nebraska-Kearney 2000-01, North Dakota State 2002-03, 2005-06, Missouri Southern State 2004. Pro coach: Joined Buccaneers in 2006.

StarStruck
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh no, not CHUCK--EE! Sorry, but I still remember as yesterday how pourly Dungy was firing was handled. They thought they would get Parcells but he later decided, oh heck no, belileve I will stay retired. When Chucky came aboard some of the fans thought he would take the team to new heights that Dungy couldn't. Unfortunately after winning the Super Bowl the same year with Dungy's team, nothing much has happened since.

Heck I remember Romo's coming out year when we played them Thanksgiving. Papa John's was giving an extra topping for every TD that Romo made. That turned out to be a loaded pizza.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh no, not CHUCK--EE! Sorry, but I still remember as yesterday how pourly Dungy was firing was handled. They thought they would get Parcells but he later decided, oh heck no, belileve I will stay retired. When Chucky came aboard some of the fans thought he would take the team to new heights that Dungy couldn't. Unfortunately after winning the Super Bowl the same year with Dungy's team, nothing much has happened since.

Heck I remember Romo's coming out year when we played them Thanksgiving. Papa John's was giving an extra topping for every TD that Romo made. That turned out to be a loaded pizza.

I don't see what was so bad about how Dungy was fired. That team had been under achieving, and had like two years where they were upset in the playoffs. He may have built the team, but didn't get them over the top. Once they brought in Chuckie, they did win the SB, so I'd say they did the right thing for sure. Gruden just failed to improve that offense year after year. He had a few nice seasons where they made the playoffs though and they stayed pretty competitive. his time was up though. The team didn't look like it was making any drastic improvements, so his time was up and I agree with what they did.

Specnatz
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't see what was so bad about how Dungy was fired. That team had been under achieving, and had like two years where they were upset in the playoffs. He may have built the team, but didn't get them over the top. Once they brought in Chuckie, they did win the SB, so I'd say they did the right thing for sure. Gruden just failed to improve that offense year after year. He had a few nice seasons where they made the playoffs though and they stayed pretty competitive. his time was up though. The team didn't look like it was making any drastic improvements, so his time was up and I agree with what they did.

Prior to Dungy what had the team done in the last 20 years? Nothing absolutely nothing.

StarStruck
01-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Prior to Dungy what had the team done in the last 20 years? Nothing absolutely nothing.

Except for that brief time that Doug Williams was QB and they won a couple of seasons, the Bucs were the joke of the NFL. If college, that was the team that you wanted to play for Homecoming.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 08:07 PM

That may be true, but management thought that Dungy did a great job at building that team up, but didn't believe that he could get them over the top. They obviously thought that Gruden could and they were right because he won it.

It wasn't much different than what happened with the Chargers with Shotty, only that the Chargers had a better record the year that Marty was fired than what the Bucs had under Dungy when they let him go.

StarStruck
01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
That may be true, but management thought that Dungy did a great job at building that team up, but didn't believe that he could get them over the top. They obviously thought that Gruden could and they were right because he won it.

It wasn't much different than what happened with the Chargers with Shotty, only that the Chargers had a better record the year that Marty was fired than what the Bucs had.

Even Gruden acknowledged that Dungy laid the foundation for that SB win. For that I can respect him. Now since then, what exactly has he done?

kastofsna
01-16-2009, 08:14 PM
lol pretty much everyone in Tampa is going nuts, they love it. a long time coming. he's a horrible players' coach, pretty much any player of significance that left the Bucs during his tenure spoke out against him afterwards. if he didn't win the Super Bowl he would've been fired 2 years into the gig

looks like they'll promote within, Raheem Morris makes a lot of sense

JayCee
01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
from PFT

“As long as the Glazers will have me, I’ll be here,” former Bucs coach Jon Gruden said in November as to rumors linking him to the then-vacant job at the University of Tennessee.

He didn’t know how right he was.

Still, Friday’s move is a stunner. Though we suggested on the final day of the regular season that the deflating, playoff-killing loss to the lowly Raiders that Gruden could be in trouble, the passage of nearly three weeks seemed to be an indication that Gruden would be back.

Even Gruden didn’t see it coming. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen says that Gruden was “blindsided” by the news.

Though Gruden could opt to take some time off, enjoy his buyout, and maybe do some TV work (as long as there’s a seven-second delay and a dump button operator with an itchy trigger finger), Gruden also might jump right back onto the horse in order to unbruise his ego.

The NFL head-coaching jobs currently vacant are in St. Louis (perhaps not for long), Oakland, and New York.

But Gruden’s availability could trigger a domino effect, with a previously on-the-fence team opting to make a move, and to make a run at Gruden.

Possibilities (in our view) include Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, and Carolina.

Regarding the Panthers, the Glazers actually might have opted to delay firing Gruden until it became obvious that Jerry Richardson wouldn’t be looking for a new head coach of Tampa’s NFC South rivals. If the Panthers were going to fire John Fox in the wake of Saturday night’s blowout loss to the Cardinals, it likely would have happened by now.

Then there are the Eagles. What if Philly gets flattened on Sunday by the Cardinals? Would owner Jeffrey Lurie pounce on the opportunity to bring Gruden back to town?

Finally, don’t rule out the college ranks — specifically Notre Dame. As John Taylor points out at CFT, the availability of Gruden could prompt the folks at South Bend to fire Charlie Weis and hire Gruden, once Touchdown Jesus is fitted with sufficiently large earmuffs.

While we’re waxing speculatively, what if certain folks at USC didn’t care for Pete Carroll’s spoiled brat routine from Thursday? With Gruden available, maybe someone with plenty of juice who doesn’t like Carroll’s attitude will now have enough evidence to launch a coup against Carroll for disrespecting Mark Sanchez.

And if Gruden goes to USC, Touchdown Jesus would need those earmuffs only once every two years.

wouldn't that be a shock huh? :smiliedance:

must have struggled to come up with teams to list.

Silver Oak
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
while they were already low on the Credibility-o-Meter, PFT just fell off the charts with that reach.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Even Gruden acknowledged that Dungy laid the foundation for that SB win. For that I can respect him. Now since then, what exactly has he done?

Did you not read my posts earlier on this? I said that he should have been fired. They won a SB with him though, so hiring him worked out well. He didn't have long term success though. He made the playoffs two other times though and almost made it this year but happened to be in the toughest division in the NFL. Again, he should have been fired. His players hated him.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 08:39 PM
lol pretty much everyone in Tampa is going nuts, they love it. a long time coming. he's a horrible players' coach, pretty much any player of significance that left the Bucs during his tenure spoke out against him afterwards. if he didn't win the Super Bowl he would've been fired 2 years into the gig

looks like they'll promote within, Raheem Morris makes a lot of sense

You obviously are pretty informed here. My boy in Tampa hates Gruden with a strong passion and has talked about how the players have hated him the last few years. He is ecstatic right now.

ChampionTexan
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Possibilities (in our view) include Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, and Carolina.

Then there are the Eagles. What if Philly gets flattened on Sunday by the Cardinals? Would owner Jeffrey Lurie pounce on the opportunity to bring Gruden back to town?

Finally, don’t rule out the college ranks — specifically Notre Dame
Wow -all of these guys in peril because Chuckie got fired?

I think Gruden's a pretty decent coach, but I don't think he's the "Re-think everything we decided about our coaches over the last few weeks because <insert name here> has suddenly and unexpectedly become available" type of coach.

StarStruck
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Did you not read my posts earlier on this? I said that he should have been fired.

Guilty! Sometimes I just don't have the energy to dig out the nuggets that are sometimes are buried in the forrest.:)

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Guilty! Sometimes I just don't have the energy to dig out the nuggets that are sometimes are buried in the forrest.:)

I hear ya. I'm the same way sometimes. What they did was right though. They got a SB out of it, and no one will ever be able to take that away from them.

Gruden just got way to arrogant out there and treated the players pretty bad.

StarStruck
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I hear ya. I'm the same way sometimes. What they did was right though. They got a SB out of it, and no one will ever be able to take that away from them.

Gruden just got way to arrogant out there and treated the players pretty bad.

Gruden appeared arrogant to me when he landed in Tampa. He had done well in Oakland, but if I recall correctly, Tampa had gotten to a point of desperation when Chuckee, the man of many facial expressions, was hired. Remember they were elated when they thought they were replacing Dungy with Parcells and he then decided to remain retired. They even tried to sue the Cowboys when Parcells accepted the job in Dallas.

HoustonFrog
01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks like they had guys in mind

Looks like they have others in mind

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839578

The surprising firings of Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen are expected to yield the quick hiring of Raheem Morris as head coach and Mark Dominik as general manager, according to multiple sources.

According to a source, a news conference could be held as early as Saturday

kastofsna
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
no shocker there, you'd have to have someone in place with a firing this late in the game

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I was driving around yesterday and the local DALLAS radio was just going crazy. With Jason Garrett apparently going to St. Louis, there was tons of speculation of Jerrah ditching Wade and picking up Gruden.