PDA

View Full Version : Schwartz the new HC in Motown

Errant Hothy
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911

The Detroit Lions have reached an agreement in principle with Jim Schwartz to become their next head coach.

Schwartz, the Tennessee Titans' defensive coordinator for the past eight seasons, has agreed in principle to a four-year contract, sources told ESPN.

The Lions will hold an introductory news conference for Schwartz on Friday.

Wonder who gets the Titans' DC gig, as Gregg Williams has moved on to the Saints.

drewmar74
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911

Wonder who gets the Titans' DC gig, as Gregg Williams has moved on to the Saints.

I heard Richard Smith was available.

WWJD
01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
You know with all these coaching changes and coordinators being promoted to first time head coaching jobs I have to wonder why these owners offer these guys contracts for 4 years?

He may be a total bomb after one or 2 and then they're stuck paying the rest of the contract.

I'd give him a 2 year contract and see how it goes after that.

I don't get the multiple year thing.

gtexan02
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Please be Richard Smith, please be richard smith, please be richard smith

El Tejano
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
So this brings up the question. Who's available for Tennessee now?

Texecutioner
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
You know with all these coaching changes and coordinators being promoted to first time head coaching jobs I have to wonder why these owners offer these guys contracts for 4 years?

He may be a total bomb after one or 2 and then they're stuck paying the rest of the contract.

I'd give him a 2 year contract and see how it goes after that.

I don't get the multiple year thing.

Well that is the exact same thing the Texans did. I agree with you though, but the Texans should be criticized the same way then.

Shaft75
HAHA!!! They lost a huge playoff game, their defensive coordinator, and POSSIBLY their all-pro DT and QB!!!

God frowns on Bud!

Texecutioner
I've got no problem with this hiring and really want the Lions to finally become a winning team.

Double Barrel
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Great news! Good luck Mr. Schwartz! Glad you're no longer with Slug's team.

Wolf
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM

not sure .. only name I saw someone throw out at their boards is
Dave McGinnis

just someone throwing out a name

ChampionTexan
01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Please be Richard Smith, please be richard smith, please be richard smith

Nah, that would just lead to the inevitable "The Texans are a stupid and impatient organization if they let someone like him go" thread.

texanfan2002114
01-15-2009, 05:38 PM

They will hire the guy that I wanted to coach our defense, Sean McDermontt. The DB coach to phily.

drewmar74
01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
They will hire the guy that I wanted to coach our defense, Sean McDermontt. The DB coach to phily.

I bet Fisher promotes from within and takes a more active role in the defense.

WWJD
01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Well that is the exact same thing the Texans did. I agree with you though, but the Texans should be criticized the same way then.

I would have talked to a guy that HAS been a HC somewhere before.

I can't imagine the Lions fans jumping for joy over the Titans DC becoming their new head coach...won't sell many tickets I wouldn't think.

I just don't get the 4 year contract. Maybe that's the NFL rule or something. I'd give him 2 years...see how it's going...and then extend him if he's doing a good job.

As it is he could come in there...go 0-16 again...2-14 the next year...and you're going to fire him anyway but now you have to pay him for 2 years of work he's not even going to do. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Or the money!

WWJD
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I bet Fisher promotes from within and takes a more active role in the defense.

Yea.I agree with you. Seems like the smart thing to do anyway.

Hervoyel
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I've got no problem with this hiring and really want the Lions to finally become a winning team.

Exactly. The Lions fans right now are probably saying

"May the Schwartz be with us!"
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/268510520_f90135dc97.jpg

Texecutioner
01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

I can't imagine the Lions fans jumping for joy over the Titans DC becoming their new head coach...won't sell many tickets I wouldn't think.

I just don't get the 4 year contract. Maybe that's the NFL rule or something. I'd give him 2 years...see how it's going...and then extend him if he's doing a good job.

As it is he could come in there...go 0-16 again...2-14 the next year...and you're going to fire him anyway but now you have to pay him for 2 years of work he's not even going to do. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Or the money!

I agree with what you're saying here. I think the Texans should have done the same thing with Kubes. We were practically in the same situation when we hired Kubes. We had a horrible team with no QB and a fantastic WR.

Four years is to long to guarantee to any coach really unless they are proven winners with a great resume, and even then they should still be graded accordingly season by season. I wanted Capers gone by year 3, and you see what happened when he returned for the 4th.

Silver Oak
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I think Schwartz blitzed as much as Smith, but with his defensive front, he was still able to generate a real good rush.

IMO, the Lions could have done better.

infantrycak
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree with what you're saying here. I think the Texans should have done the same thing with Kubes. We were practically in the same situation when we hired Kubes. We had a horrible team with no QB and a fantastic WR.

Four years is to long to guarantee to any coach really unless they are proven winners with a great resume, and even then they should still be graded accordingly season by season. I wanted Capers gone by year 3, and you see what happened when he returned for the 4th.

Try and get a coach on a 2 year contract and you are going to have to pay even more for those 2 years since 4 is the NFL norm. Go after an established coach and you won't get him at all.

Besides, what do you care, it isn't your money. McNair paid money to Capers after he was long gone.

WWJD
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Gee from what you're telling me maybe it's the "standard" contract for HC's or something?

I just don't know. But it seems like every year these guys are gone after just a few if they fail miserably..why would a team want to tie themself to a coach for 4 years?

I vascilate on Kubiak. Sometime I think he's doing a good job and then I'll think fire the bum! I can't get a handle on how I feel about his job performance. He makes a lot of dumb mistakes but then again the team can play beautiful ball one week and you think AH HA! He's the next Lombardi....

WWJD
01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Try and get a coach on a 2 year contract and you are going to have to pay even more for those 2 years since 4 is the NFL norm. Go after an established coach and you won't get him at all.

Besides, what do you care, it isn't your money. McNair paid money to Capers after he was long gone.

Well you answered that debate...the norm huh? I'd rather pay more for 2 to see what I have and then take my chances on not having to pay a guy who's been fired anyway. My mind works weird that way I guess but that just makes more sense to me...

Texan JBZ
01-15-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi WWJD and Texecutioner. My name is Mike Smith. You probably don't know me, but I'm Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons. I narrowly beat out Tony Sparano, another First Year Head Coach, for Coach of the Year. This, as well as Tony and John Harbaugh, was my First Year as a Head Coach. Our team was pretty successful under my leadership. We made it to the 1st round of the playoffs before being put out by the Arizona Cardinals who are playing in the NFC Championship game this weekend under 2nd Year Head Coach Ken Wisenhunt.

I'm very surprised I was awarded Coach of the Year with all the worthy experienced candidates out there like..uh.....Bill Belichick! Yeah, Bill Belichick with all his years of experience. I can't believe I beat out another 1st Year Coach like Tony Sparano. Personally, I think 1st Year Coach John Harbaugh should have been COY, seeing that he has his team in the AFC Title Game against 2nd Year Head Coach Mike Tomlin. He did a tremendous job this year with his team with a Rookie starting a QB!

That's just my opinion Texans fans. I appreciate the award, but there are other 1st Year Head Coaches who are as deserving as I am. Peace and God Bless..

P.S. - My best advice to any other 1st Year HC: Ignore the fan base and do your job. "If you win, they will come"

infantrycak
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Well you answered that debate...the norm huh? I'd rather pay more for 2 to see what I have and then take my chances on not having to pay a guy who's been fired anyway. My mind works weird that way I guess but that just makes more sense to me...

It makes perfect sense, but there aren't very many agents and they talk so norms do develop. Try getting a 1st round pick to sign a 10 year deal or a 4th round guy to sign a 7 year deal (actually they just limited those but you get the point from past seasons) - there have been holdouts over extra years.

Think about it from Schwartz' perspective. You want me to turn around a 0-16 team in 2 years. Yeah buddy, think I will stay here on this 13-3 team known for its D and wait for a better opportunity next year.

WWJD
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi WWJD and Texecutioner. My name is Mike Smith. You probably don't know me, but I'm Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons. I narrowly beat out Tony Sparano, another First Year Head Coach, for Coach of the Year. This, as well as Tony and John Harbaugh, was my First Year as a Head Coach. Our team was pretty successful under my leadership. We made it to the 1st round of the playoffs before being put out by the Arizona Cardinals who are playing in the NFC Championship game this weekend under 2nd Year Head Coach Ken Wisenhunt.

I'm very surprised I was awarded Coach of the Year with all the worthy experienced candidates out there like..uh.....Bill Belichick! Yeah, Bill Belichick with all his years of experience. I can't believe I beat out another 1st Year Coach like Tony Sparano. Personally, I think 1st Year Coach John Harbaugh should have been COY, seeing that he has his team in the AFC Title Game against 2nd Year Head Coach Mike Tomlin. He did a tremendous job this year with his team with a Rookie starting a QB!

That's just my opinion Texans fans. I appreciate the award, but there are other 1st Year Head Coaches who are as deserving as I am. Peace and God Bless..

P.S. - My best advice to any other 1st Year HC: Ignore the fan base and do your job. "If you win, they will come"

I think BY FAR the weirdest answer I've ever gotten to one of my posts....dear Lord.

WWJD
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
It makes perfect sense, but there aren't very many agents and they talk so norms do develop. Try getting a 1st round pick to sign a 10 year deal or a 4th round guy to sign a 7 year deal (actually they just limited those but you get the point from past seasons) - there have been holdouts over extra years.

Think about it from Schwartz' perspective. You want me to turn around a 0-16 team in 2 years. Yeah buddy, think I will stay here on this 13-3 team known for its D and wait for a better opportunity next year.

ah...the voice of reason...thanks. Makes sense.

cuppacoffee
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM

I think BY FAR the weirdest answer I've ever gotten to one of my posts....dear Lord.

I agree..those teams messed up, they should have signed an experienced coach like Wade Phillips. That'll work.

:coffee:

toronto
01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
My guess is Fisher gives the DC job to Dave McGinnis, who is already his left hand there....

infantrycak
01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
My guess is Fisher gives the DC job to Dave McGinnis, who is already his left hand there....

No, no--not someone already on the staff--that would just be silly. Why can't he find an established guy? :shades:

Wolf
01-15-2009, 09:28 PM
atleast they capitalize on hits to the website

http://0and16.com/

takes you right to their main site

ouch(but they had it coming)

FILO_girl
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Poor guy...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e27baf&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true