PDA

View Full Version : Which Free Agents should we be gunning for?

marv800
01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
This offseason looks spectacular as far as free agents go!

I just hope this year we break from our tradition of doing nothing, and sign a big one. Samuel seems to be panning out for the Eagles.

Julius Peppers - A monster. Hell with Peppers and Mario, we wouldn't even need a secondary.

Steven Jackson - A Slaton-Jackson 1-2 combo would be sick.

Tommie Harris - Maybe he can show Amobi a thing or two.

Marion Barber - Would he be worth it?

Chris Snee - Would he really leave Coughlin?

Nnamdi Asomugha - Wow... he'd be an awesome addition to Dunta!

Albert Haynesworth - Pfft... he's a thug. I don't want him.

Terrell Owens - Haha... he would be a nice "gimmick" addition to the team... just to watch him get schooled by AJ

Will Smith - Another monster DE to add to Mario would be scary

T.J. Whosyourmomma - would be a nice addition and all the power at WR would really, really open up the lane for Slaton.

Here, so even if its a "Dream list", I say if we pick up Asomugha, Snee, Peppers, Jackson, and Whosyourmomma, we would be odds on favorites to win the Superbowl in 2010!!! DO IT!!!! ITS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Give me the thug. He would make by far the biggest impact to our team.

Texecutioner
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately I doubt that the Texans will go after any of these guys.

jshabang
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I will take otogwe at free safty for 100 pat

Mari-OWNED!
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Steven Jackson, Marion Barber, Tommie Harris, Chris Snee, Will Smith, and Terrell Owens are not Free Agents.

Also I want Nnamdi Asomugha!

Brando
01-14-2009, 05:34 PM

I just hope this year we break from our tradition of doing nothing, and sign a big one. Samuel seems to be panning out for the Eagles.

Julius Peppers - A monster. Hell with Peppers and Mario, we wouldn't even need a secondary.

Terrell Owens - Haha... he would be a nice "gimmick" addition to the team... just to watch him get schooled by AJ

T.J. Whosyourmomma - would be a nice addition and all the power at WR would really, really open up the lane for Slaton.

Here, so even if its a "Dream list", I say if we pick up Asomugha, Snee, Peppers, Jackson, and Whosyourmomma, we would be odds on favorites to win the Superbowl in 2010!!! DO IT!!!! ITS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Marion Barber is under contract with the Cowboys. So scratch him off the list.

PapaL
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Is it ridiculous thread making time again?

barrett
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
fortunately, the Texans are NOT a plug and pay team. Build through the draft, supplement through FA, Mr.Smith said it's so. So it's so. Those are not supplements, those are mainliners. They get you high for a bit but doing several bumps through out the night will give you less of a hang over. .... uh ....analogy.

Go Texans.

Brando
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Looks like it.

DiehardChris
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Steven Jackson, Marion Barber, Tommie Harris, Chris Snee, Will Smith, and Terrell Owens are not Free Agents.

Yeah. At least put a LITTLE research into it. Heh.

Big Lou
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Did I miss a headline or something? Did Goodell get rid of the Salary Cap?

We'd be extremely lucky if we were able to afford one of these guys.

Don't go thinking the Texans Cap is fixed, we got a lot of key guys to get resigned, besides any new draft picks!!!!!!!!

marv800
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Also I want Nnamdi Asomugha!

well.. they were...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80835368&template=with-video&confirm=true

Thorn
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM

It's the offseason. LOL

D-ReK
01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
well.. they were...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80835368&template=with-video&confirm=true

That article was written 8 months ago. More importantly, is that John McClain on NFL.com? I guess somebody out there likes him.

For anyone interested, here (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php) is a pretty accurate list of free agents.

PapaL
01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
It's the offseason. LOL

HaHaHa - We should just rename it.

swtbound07
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
my list of wishes

byron leftwich (we need to get rid of the rosencopter for a 5-6 rounder

michael pittman

desmond clark

Harvey Dahl

Jonathan Babineux

Dan Cody

Jermaine Phillips

none of these names are particularly stunning, but this is who I would bring into camp. Only deals over 2 years i'd give would be to babineux and phillips.

Draft a FS in the first and a de in the second.

Mari-OWNED!
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM

I have a weird feeling that Leftwich could be going to Chicago or Minnesota to compete for a starting job. I would not mind him backing up Schaub though, but I just don't see it happening.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Dan Cody is more fragile than Tracy McGrady.

b0ng
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Might as well just throw in the pro bowl rosters for good measure.

gtexan02
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Might as well just throw in the pro bowl rosters for good measure.

Nah, too many depth players. All-pro only for me

bah007
01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
my list of wishes

michael pittman

desmond clark

Harvey Dahl

Jonathan Babineux

Dan Cody

Jermaine Phillips

none of these names are particularly stunning, but this is who I would bring into camp. Only deals over 2 years i'd give would be to babineux and phillips.

Jermaine Phillips is a very solid player. Would not complain about him at SS.

gtexan02
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I like Sean Jones. Any word on if Cleveland will franchis him?

painekiller
01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Some Defenders I might look at.

Channing Crowder
Angelo Crowell if he is cleared by the Dr. {Broken Leg}
Brian Iwuh
Quentin Moses
Pat Thomas
Sam Williams
Jovan Haye (I think he is a FA)
Kenechi Udeze
Cortland Finnegan RFA (7th rounder, depends on what he is tendered.)
Rashad Baker
Jarrad Page
George Wilson

And if they become available

Anthony Alridge
JACKIE BATTLE

infantrycak
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Jovan Haye is a UFA
What is the status of Udeze's leukemia?
Finnegan is getting at least a 1st round tender.
I think Quentin Moses is a ERFA
You going to move Crowder to SLB?--I don't like move Demeco out generally and especially not for a guy with some recurring knee issues. Then what move Demeco back?

PapaL
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
David Carr is avaliable. We'll need a backup QB.

Oh damn, number 8 is already taken? Guess we'll pass.

Jackie Chiles
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Finnegan got an extension from the Tacks just before the season started.

A couple under the radar guys I would like us to look at would be Ronald Fields and Jake Grove. Pretty sure both are UFAs. Fields is 6'2 315 and played DE for the 49ers in a 3-4 scheme, I think he could be a decent big body for us next to Okoye, at least work in the rotation. Grove was a 2nd rounder out of college but hasn't really lived up to that with the Raiders. Still he has decent size, strength and athleticism for a C and would either be good depth or perhaps give Myers a run for his money. Neither should cost an arm and a leg.

Can't tell if Grove is a FA this year or in 2010, I'll keep looking.

painekiller
01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Jovan Haye is a UFA
What is the status of Udeze's leukemia? I forgot about that, might be an issue.
Finnegan is getting at least a 1st round tender. Then I pass, but if I can eat up a little of the Titans salary cap...
I think Quentin Moses is a ERFA You could be right
You going to move Crowder to SLB?--I don't like move Demeco out generally and especially not for a guy with some recurring knee issues. Then what move Demeco back? Yes I would try Crowder at SAM

My answers in RED

marv800
01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
That article was written 8 months ago. More importantly, is that John McClain on NFL.com? I guess somebody out there likes him.

For anyone interested, here (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php) is a pretty accurate list of free agents.

In that case, I'd settle for Jeff Garcia, Cedric Benson, Correll Buckhalter, Steven Jackson, Daren Sproles, Michael Clayton, Bobby Engram, Devery Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, Tank Johnson, Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis, Rodney Harrison.

marv800
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
David Carr is avaliable. We'll need a backup QB.

Oh damn, number 8 is already taken? Guess we'll pass.

David Carr would make a fine punt returner for us.

gg no re
01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
David Carr would make a fine punt returner for us.Actually, this.... is logical.

He wears gloves, so he's got a grip.

He's good at taking the fetal position, ball security of any kind is of no issue.

He's not too bad on the eyes, so that's a plus.

And DC being back on the Texans means Hulk75 comes back! :smiliedance:

Shaft75
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
I can't believe any Texans fan would want that little piece of excrement Finnegan on our team. Or for that matter the fat slug Haynesworth. I actually look forward to when we play the Titans now just to see them cut blocked. I have no respect for either of those guys.

Even Toro was happy when Haynesworth went down the last time we played them. True story...

Ole Miss Texan
01-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Keep in mind closer to the season there will be more guys available that teams cut. Now cue the "if X player is cut and can't make that team then I don't want him" posts. Players get cut for any number of reason, one reason could be salary... not because they're a bad player.

I may be in the minority but I still want to go after the free agents in the Kevin Bentley, Nick Ferguson, etc. mold. We still have a ton of holes to fill and need quality depth. Guys like Asomugha are going to get franchised again, which I actually see as a good thing for us (this year).

If we can continue to build smartly by adding solid FA guys that aren't too expensive, continue to build the teams/starters through the draft, hopefully Bush turns the Defense around in the right direction this season... Houston suddenly becomes a more interesting target for top flight free agents.

I can see this team getting really good pretty quickly and THEN when we add a big name FA like Asomugha, we will really reap the rewards and that one signing will go that much farther.

HOU-TEX
01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
my list of wishes

michael pittman

desmond clark

Harvey Dahl

Jonathan Babineux

Dan Cody

Jermaine Phillips

LMAO! You think Leftwich is better than Sage?? Good grief!

Porky
01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

At least Bryon Sandwich won't pull a Rosencopter. He's too fat too get off the ground. If the same play occured with Fatwhich he would have just been corkscrewed into the ground. He would have come out somewhere in the middle of China.

Mr teX
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Some Defenders I might look at.

Channing Crowder
Angelo Crowell if he is cleared by the Dr. {Broken Leg}
Brian Iwuh
Quentin Moses
Pat Thomas
Sam Williams
Jovan Haye (I think he is a FA)
Kenechi Udeze
Cortland Finnegan RFA (7th rounder, depends on what he is tendered.)
Rashad Baker
Jarrad Page
George Wilson

And if they become available

Anthony Alridge
JACKIE BATTLE

Quentin Moses has already been a member of 3 teams in 2 years...something's not right if you keep bouncing around like that.

HOU-TEX
01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
At least Bryon Sandwich won't pull a Rosencopter. He's too fat too get off the ground. If the same play occured with Fatwhich he would have just been corkscrewed into the ground. He would have come out somewhere in the middle of China.

:spit: True, true.

InterestedJeff
01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
How about going after Ronnie Lott to sure up our saftey position? Christian Okoye would be a great change of pace back to compliment Slayton!

BigBull17
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM

And since the line of scrimmage extends all the way around the world, the spot would be the same. Sweet!

Hervoyel
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM

Arguable I guess but I'd have gone for "LMAO! You think someone would give us a 5-6 rounder for Sage?". Sage has no value whatsoever. You couldn't trade him for a pack of Hostess ding-dongs right now. As soon as word got out that we no longer wanted Sage his value would plummet to absolute zero as teams just waited for us to let him go.

Exithios
01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=swtbound07;1098495]

QUOTE]

Priceless... :highfive:

Ole Miss Texan
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Arguable I guess but I'd have gone for "LMAO! You think someone would give us a 5-6 rounder for Sage?". Sage has no value whatsoever. You couldn't trade him for a pack of Hostess ding-dongs right now. As soon as word got out that we no longer wanted Sage his value would plummet to absolute zero as teams just waited for us to let him go.

I think trading Sage is a moot point now, it just doesn't make sense. In my opinion Schaub has shown me he has the ability to become our franchise QB... he just has to stay healthy. If they wouldn't trade Sage last year because of these concerns, they shouldn't this year. We don't have a better backup for Schaub in mind (that I know of).

After you get over the basics of our situation, THEN you get into his value now. Regardless of what it was in the past, you have to look and see if his current trade value would still benifit the team. If you can get a backup for Schaub that is just as good or better than Sage (and financially similar), you trade Sage for whatever you can get, even if it is a 6th rounder. I don't think that's the case, though, and think it's probably the best interest of the team to keep Sage.

beerlover
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I think trading Sage is a moot point now, it just doesn't make sense. In my opinion Schaub has shown me he has the ability to become our franchise QB... he just has to stay healthy. If they wouldn't trade Sage last year because of these concerns, they shouldn't this year. We don't have a better backup for Schaub in mind (that I know of).

After you get over the basics of our situation, THEN you get into his value now. Regardless of what it was in the past, you have to look and see if his current trade value would still benifit the team. If you can get a backup for Schaub that is just as good or better than Sage (and financially similar), you trade Sage for whatever you can get, even if it is a 6th rounder. I don't think that's the case, though, and think it's probably the best interest of the team to keep Sage.

Sage still has value to Texans as the back-up & one more year under contract. hopefully Brink makes enough progress this offseason & next to take over back-up duties while Sage is free to seek out a starting position somewhere else :)

dalemurphy
01-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's my wish list, factoring in a little reality:

DT: Marcus Tubbs
DE: B.Berry, Babineaux, Udeze
S: Atogwe, JPhillips, SJones, JPage, KRhodes
LB: Dansby, ACrowell
RB: Dward, Buckhalter, JJArrington, MPittman

I really like the idea of spending some real money on one of those safeties... It looks like a pretty good crop of them. While I love Sean Jones as a player, I think Atogwe or Kerry Rhodes are better in coverage and therefore more of what we need.

TexansSeminole
01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Guys I would like to see the Texans target are

QB: Charlie Frye.

RB: Jesse Chatman, Derrick Ward, Ricky Williams. I'd think about adding Lorenzo Neal for goal line attitude, maybe run a play with two FBs.

TE: Desmond Clark, Stephen Spach, Aaron Halterman.

DE: Kevin Carter, Paul Spicer, Bertrand Berry.

DT: Jonathan Babineaux, Shaun Cody, Ronald Fields, Rob Meier.

LB: Bart Scott (SLB), Zach Thomas (backup MLB), Eric Barton (SLB).

FS: George Wilson, Will Allen, Mike Adams, Brian Dawkins.

SS: Sean Considine, Kerry Rhodes, Darren Sharper.

Lucky
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
...Kerry Rhodes are better in coverage and therefore more of what we need.

Guys I would like to see the Texans target are Dawkins.

SS: Sean Considine, Kerry Rhodes, Darren Sharper.
Kerry Rhodes is not a free agent.

Norg
01-18-2009, 10:57 PM
even tho i want a all star WR

if we get one this year i will be mad we dont need anymore WR's

unless its chad ohico chinco at a sweet steal trade

iam going to say NO !!!!!!!

Rozelle
01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
A player I look for the Texans to pursue (or his agent to pursue the Texans) in free agency is Green Bay DE Michael Montgomery. The Pack won’t resign the UFA with the hiring of Capers and a switch to a 34 front.
Montgomery is from Carthage, Texas 150 miles or so northeast of Houston and played his college ball at coach Kubiak’s alma mater Texas A&M. Being able to come home should have value for him. He’s a bit undersized at 6-5 273, a rotational DE with good athletic skills who has played at both right and left DE. An upfield one gap player who could fit well in coach Bush’s scheme.

barrett
01-20-2009, 04:05 AM
sounds like reasonable logic.

badboy
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Just because some of you think signing someone of stature such as Nmandi Asomugha to a high dollar contract is fantasy does not mean it won't happen. The purpose of the MB is to exchange ideas and "dream". Cornerback Nate Clements signed such a "impossible" contract not long ago. Each of us can express our opinion on whether the Texans should do that. As for salary cap hit look at the way Mario Williams contract was structured & it was pretty large. Also, to say that a player is franchised and can not be touched is wrong. A team willing to pay the draft picks should the Raiders (in my example) choose to not meet the offer can get the player. Agree or disagree on the merits, I offer;

Our #15 and supposedly a much lower first in 2010 to Oakland who chooses not to pay an upfront bonus of $20million on a five year deal. Bonus divided over the five years cost $4 million against cap. You can write the first years at a vet minimum + prorated bonus and have cap hit at $10 million or less a year. That is very reasonable for this type player. This is not to say you or the team would agree to do so, but it can be done. Aso will be 28 when next season and 32 in year five. Again not unheard of for a DB. The cap space now is approximately $29 million and if Greenwood is cut an extra $4 million is added. We can sign a high $ player and the draft and our players such as Dunta.

A shut down corner reduces need for a free safety as our roster guys could hold the fort. The Dline and linebackers would have less stress knowing Aso and Dunta could hold their side of field. Bennett had an excellent rookie year but was so so this past year.

Not saying this is my position but am saying it is an option.

Asomugha giving up the first.
2nd round Ron Brace NT stops the run
3rd round Gartrell Johnson RB here is the power to get a 1st down or 6 in red zone
4th Robert Ayers DE or ILB here the compliment to Mario or outside rush from LB.

m5kwatts
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Has anyone mentioned Jim Leonhard the Baltimore safety? He's a smart kid, sure-tackler, makes plays and won't be all that expensive...

mussop
01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
With Greenbay and Denver switching to 3/4 defenses and our recent ties to both teams I could see us picking up left over players that dont fit their new schemes. Hope not but I can see it happening.

Brandon420tx
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
I've only seen one other person besides me mention Jabari Greer.

infantrycak
01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Has anyone mentioned Jim Leonhard the Baltimore safety? He's a smart kid, sure-tackler, makes plays and won't be all that expensive...

That is the kind of signing fans should be looking at.

Texecutioner
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Okay there were two white guys on the Ravens that were making a ton of tackles the last few weeks. I didn't know much about these guys, but one of them was all over the place. I think it was Leonhard and I was really impressed. I'd love for the Texans to get that guy.

m5kwatts
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Okay there were two white guys on the Ravens that were making a ton of tackles the last few weeks. I didn't know much about these guys, but one of them was all over the place. I think it was Leonhard and I was really impressed. I'd love for the Texans to get that guy.
Not sure who the other white guy you're talking about is (Jarret Johnson the OLB?) but Leonhard took over for Dawan Landry when he went on IR and never missed a beat. The announcers for the Ravens-Dolphins game said he learned Rex Ryan's playbook in one day and we know how exotic his schemes are. He made plays right away (including against us) and is a highly underrated safety. The downside is he could follow Ryan to the Jets, but they have Kerry Rhodes so I don't know if he's a fit there.

Second Honeymoon
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd take any of the 3 Raven LBs due to be UFAs. Lewis would have the most intangibles but the lowest shelf-life.

Hopefully Maleuaga falls to us at #15 and we can concentrate on resigning Dunta and/or going after Asomugha strong. I would love to have Lewis bring his heart to our team but it would be a short term fixed unless we brought him into the fold coaching-wise after he retires. Would love to have him on my coaching staff. We can get a quality DE with our 2nd Round pick.

GP
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd take any of the 3 Raven LBs due to be UFAs. Lewis would have the most intangibles but the lowest shelf-life.

Hopefully Maleuaga falls to us at #15 and we can concentrate on resigning Dunta and/or going after Asomugha strong. I would love to have Lewis bring his heart to our team but it would be a short term fixed unless we brought him into the fold coaching-wise after he retires. Would love to have him on my coaching staff. We can get a quality DE with our 2nd Round pick.

And people say all you do is complain.

At least you're a Texans fan. I can check a lot of my emotions at the door when I know the poster I am reading is a Texans-first fan.

I like your idea. We gain Ray Lewis as short-term player and then retain him as a LB coach. That's a guy who carries a lot of credibility when he talks football. And passionate? Off the charts. That's a two-for-one deal.

I like Maleuaga at 15 if he's there. Great player.

I don't want to see us going DE in round 1, either, so round 2 (as you said) is certainly OK.

Great post, SH.

76Texan
01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
A player I look for the Texans to pursue (or his agent to pursue the Texans) in free agency is Green Bay DE Michael Montgomery. The Pack won’t resign the UFA with the hiring of Capers and a switch to a 34 front.
Montgomery is from Carthage, Texas 150 miles or so northeast of Houston and played his college ball at coach Kubiak’s alma mater Texas A&M. Being able to come home should have value for him. He’s a bit undersized at 6-5 273, a rotational DE with good athletic skills who has played at both right and left DE. An upfield one gap player who could fit well in coach Bush’s scheme.

He had a pretty good year, especially in the running game.
But it looks to me he have good, solid efforts rushing the QB, is that true?

D-ReK
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
This is my optimal offseason taken from another thread:

Free Agents:
SS C.C. Brown – let him walk
TE Mark Bruener – retiring
CB DeMarcus Faggins – let him walk
SS Nick Ferguson – re-sign
T Scott Jackson – let him walk
LS Bryan Pittman – let him walk (our other LS looked pretty good)
CB Dunta Robinson – re-sign
FB Cecil Sapp – re-sign
C Chris White – let him walk
DB Jimmy Williams – let him walk
FS Eugene Wilson – re-sign
DT Jeff Zgonina – let him walk/retiring

Restricted Free Agents:
WR David Anderson – re-sign
T Rashad Butler – low tender
DE Earl Cochran – re-sign
TE Owen Daniels – re-sign
TE Joel Dreessen – low tender
DE Stanley McClover – low tender

Roster Cuts:
Will Demps, S and male model
Ahman Green, RB and mummy
Morlon Greenwood, OLB and rap sensation
Anthony Weaver, DE and coverage machine

Free Agent Targets:
Jason Brown, OC/OG, Baltimore Ravens
Jermaine Phillips, S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kevin Burnett, OLB, Dallas Cowboys
Channing Crowder, OLB, Miami Dolphins
Jabari Greer, CB, Buffalo Bills
Michael Montgomery, DE, Green Bay Packers
Rocky Bernard, DT, Seattle Seahawks

I'd also like for us to target Jarrad Page, FS, from the Chiefs who is a RFA if he is a low tender since it would only cost us a 7th round pick. Mix this with a solid backup RB, a pass rusher, and a safety who's good in coverage and playoffs here we come!

Rozelle
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
He had a pretty good year, especially in the running game.
But it looks to me he have good, solid efforts rushing the QB, is that true?

I think he might be a good fit in what Bush is wanting to do. He only had 2.5sacks. He had an ankle injury (I think back in October) and missed a couple games, ya never know how long those type of injuries linger. I seen him play a couple of times and thought he looked good. He has speed,quickness, and plays hard. He is not stout at the point, is best on the move attacking gaps and has good backside pursuit.

kiwitexansfan
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM

Also caught my eye in about the first 10 seconds I saw him on the field and what stood out to me was his tackling.

I would be interested...... BUT....... I do wonder how much the Ravens system makes him look good. Surrounded by stars in a great system you can appear better than you are..... (see WEAVER, Anthony)

76Texan
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I think he might be a good fit in what Bush is wanting to do. He only had 2.5sacks. He had an ankle injury (I think back in October) and missed a couple games, ya never know how long those type of injuries linger. I seen him play a couple of times and thought he looked good. He has speed,quickness, and plays hard. He is not stout at the point, is best on the move attacking gaps and has good backside pursuit.

I don't care about numbers. I've studied him a couple of games, plus another 2-3 shortcut games.

Agree with your overall assessments.
I did not pay enough attention to the point of attack.
But he sure as heck caught my eyes more than Kampman.
Did the guy have some injury or other problem of some sort?
He seems a bit tentative, a bit hesitant, a bit off his usual self ???

ubecool454
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Give me the thug. He would make by far the biggest impact to our team.

HAHAHA, I HEARD DAT!!!!!:kingkong:

ubecool454
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Jovan Haye is a UFA
What is the status of Udeze's leukemia?
Finnegan is getting at least a 1st round tender.
I think Quentin Moses is a ERFA
You going to move Crowder to SLB?--I don't like move Demeco out generally and especially not for a guy with some recurring knee issues. Then what move Demeco back?
I doubt Udeze is thinking about football right now.

ubecool454
01-22-2009, 10:06 AM
In that case, I'd settle for Jeff Garcia, Cedric Benson, Correll Buckhalter, Steven Jackson, Daren Sproles, Michael Clayton, Bobby Engram, Devery Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, Tank Johnson, Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis, Rodney Harrison.

Rodney Harrison is older than my mamas mama.

Second Honeymoon
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Rodney Harrison is older than my mamas mama.

if he is healthy, he will be signed. dude has been around forever though and has been more prone to injury as he has aged...he just plays so hard its bound to happen again. didn't he play in the Super Bowl the Chargers made with Stan Humphries at the helm? That was a LONG time ago.

thanks GP for the good word earlier in this thread. thanks.

Rozelle
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't care about numbers. I've studied him a couple of games, plus another 2-3 shortcut games.

Agree with your overall assessments.
I did not pay enough attention to the point of attack.
But he sure as heck caught my eyes more than Kampman.
Did the guy have some injury or other problem of some sort?
He seems a bit tentative, a bit hesitant, a bit off his usual self ???

Had some kind of ankle issue, sprain or something, not real sure. He still needs some polishing, I think he could be a nice pickup for the Texans.

76Texan
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Had some kind of ankle issue, sprain or something, not real sure. He still needs some polishing, I think he could be a nice pickup for the Texans.

By the way, do you know about the RB situation of the Packers?

HoustonFrog
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM

What are you talking about?

I want

Steven Jackson
Marion Barber
Larry Fitzgerald
DeMarcus Ware
Ed Reed
Nnamdi Asomugha
and Jason Witten to split time with Owen Daniels/

We'd be a force

Brandon420tx
01-26-2009, 11:57 PM
How about Darren Sproles to replace JJ at punt returns and help take the load off on Slaton as mid-season rolls around?

Thoughts?

GP
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
How about Darren Sproles to replace JJ at punt returns and help take the load off on Slaton as mid-season rolls around?

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, except for the part where San Diego is going to make him the feature back to replace LT.

I don't think San Diego would have let Sproles go at any point in the past, either. He's their insurance policy. And a nice one, at that.

We need a Sproles-type of guy right behind Slaton. If Slaton goes down, this team is instantly out of games from the get-go.

LORK 88
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Maurice Morris, RB, Seattle - good backup who would fit well in the ZBS
Channing Crowder, LB, Miami - good fit at SLB and talented
Oshiomogho Atogwe, FS, St Louis - playmaker at FS, plays the pass real well

These are just the big name FAs I want; if we can get 2 of the 3 I would be very happy and consider it a success. We just need to eliminate some of the needs in FA to make it easier on us in the draft.

El Tejano
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Maurice Morris, RB, Seattle - good backup who would fit well in the ZBS
Channing Crowder, LB, Miami - good fit at SLB and talented
Oshiomogho Atogwe, FS, St Louis - playmaker at FS, plays the pass real well

These are just the big name FAs I want; if we can get 2 of the 3 I would be very happy and consider it a success. We just need to eliminate some of the needs in FA to make it easier on us in the draft.

I'm only asking this because I only heard of this dude when St. Louis beat the Cowcracks, but has Atogwe always been a "playmaker"? Last I saw, St. Louis was a bad defensive team prior to this past year.

Killer Bee
01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm only asking this because I only heard of this dude when St. Louis beat the Cowcracks, but has Atogwe always been a "playmaker"? Last I saw, St. Louis was a bad defensive team prior to this past year.

I think 16 interceptions in 3 years qualifies as a playmaker. He’ll probably be franchised tagged. It doesn't cost too much for FS.

http://www.nfl.com/players/oshiomoghoatogwe/careerstats?id=ATO237308

El Tejano
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I think 16 interceptions in 3 years qualifies as a playmaker. He’ll probably be franchised tagged. It doesn't cost too much for FS.

http://www.nfl.com/players/oshiomoghoatogwe/careerstats?id=ATO237308

Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying. Just didn't here about him too much before so I kind of wondered. I would love to have someone who averages 5 picks in 3 years.

Goatcheese
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I posted this about a month ago, so some of them could have been extended by now.

Potential Free Agents in no particular order; includes backups

UFA OLB Leroy Hill -----6'01 224 Seattle
UFA OLB Michael Boley --6'03 223 Atlanta
UFA DT- Colin Cole -----6'02 325 Green Bay
UFA DT- Shaun Cody -----6'04 293 Detroit
UFA DT- Mike Wright ----6'04 295 New England
UFA CB- N. Asomugha ----6'02 210 Oakland
UFA CB- D. Foxworth ----5'11 180 Atlanta
UFA CB- Bryant Mcfadden 6'00 190 Pittsburgh
UFA CB- Jabari Greer ---5'11 175 Buffalo
UFA CB- Ralph Brown ----5'10 185 Arizona
UFA FS- OJ Atogwe ------5'11 210 St. Louis
UFA SS- Jim Leonhard ---5'08 190 Baltimore
UFA SS- James Butler ---6'02 210 New York Giants
UFA RB- LaMont Jordan --5'10 230 New England
UFA RB- Derrick Ward ---5'11 228 New York Giants

Rozelle
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
By the way, do you know about the RB situation of the Packers?

As far as I know they have no RBs who will be free agents other than FB John Kuhn (RFA).

nlfuller77
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Asomugha Atogwe would be great additions.

It would be nice if the Texans could stockpile some picks. Texans missed those Rd 2 picks the last couple of years.

barrett
01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
no they didn't. Those two 2nd rounders had a 92.7 passer rating lead us on a couple of game winning drives and still finished 7th in the NFL despite missing 4 games. Oh, and gave the Texans something they've never had - a leader under center. I'll take it.

Go Texans.

disaacks3
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
ESPN was reporting earlier today about Texans interest in Peppers. A guy here in my office (Arena Player, coach, etc.) who knows him says that he'd like coming here as this is his off-season home & his agent lives here. He also says that he has a chip on his shoulder when playing the Texans due to the Carr pick over him.

My only worry is injuries and having to give up a 1st rounder for him.

BigBull17
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
ESPN was reporting earlier today about Texans interest in Peppers. A guy here in my office (Arena Player, coach, etc.) who knows him says that he'd like coming here as this is his off-season home & his agent lives here. He also says that he has a chip on his shoulder when playing the Texans due to the Carr pick over him.

My only worry is injuries and having to give up a 1st rounder for him.

Well, if he hits the street, we dont lose the pick. I wouldn't trade for him, but wouldn't mind him opposite Mario.

BigBull17
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
What are you talking about?

I want

Steven Jackson
Marion Barber
Larry Fitzgerald
DeMarcus Ware
Ed Reed
Nnamdi Asomugha
and Jason Witten to split time with Owen Daniels/

We'd be a force

How about Schaub and a 3rd for Manning? Thoughts?

otisbean
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
My problem with Peppers is two-fold:

1. You would have to give him in the neighborhood of 30 mil guaranteed, thats alot of coin at the DE spot. He is also almost 30.

2. If it required trading our pick then you are not only faced with the problem above, but you are removing draft picks in the process.

He would make our DL fierce, no question about that, but there is risk associated with this deal as well. If you could cut some salary to making his salary not as damaging and you could get him without having to trade picks then I would be for it. If you could sign him outright then you could definitely trade back and save some money that way plus add some help in the process, that would be sweet