PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons SLB Michael Boley

Texan JBZ
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey folks. I was wondering what you guys thought about the Texans potentially bringing in Michael Boley from the Atlanta Falcons. Boley is a good player who may be on the verge of becoming a great player. He's fast, athletic, aggressive, and, best of all, he excels in rushing the passer off of blitzes. I thought that the Falcons would have every intention of bringing the guy back, but I found this article

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3813162

Analysis: GM Thomas Dimitroff is allowing players coming up on free agency to either play themselves in or out of the club’s future plans. At the midway point of the season, DT Jonathan Babineaux and WR Michael Jenkins appeared to be the most likely soon-to-be free agents whom Atlanta would like to have back. Depending on how the Falcons handle their own crop, they could have a good chunk of cap space heading into the offseason. WLB Keith Brooking’s contract, which put a $7.7 million dent in the cap this year, is voidable and could come off the books after ’08. If Dimitroff has money to spend, he isn’t afraid to make a big splash, as he proved last year when he dished out a $34.5 million deal (approximately $15 million guaranteed) to free-agent RB Michael Turner. Sources say the club will focus almost exclusively on defensive upgrades in ’09, as starters such as SLB Michael Boley and SS Lawyer Milloy are unlikely to be re-signed. The Falcons would like to keep Brooking, but at a much lower price than what he’s currently making. WR Roddy White won’t become a free agent until after ’09, but Atlanta might decide to lock him up long term this winter.

I think Boley is the perfect fit for what Bush wants to do. He's still young which is always a plus. He's also very instinctive and a sideline-to-sideline player. I know a lot of us fans are focusing on Nnamdi and Peppers, but I just don't see the Texans FO breaking the bank for these guys. Boley may be just what the doctor ordered for the new-look defense.

Brandon420tx
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
He's on my wish list, and would fit the supposed "aggressive run blitz" Bush wants to run.

If Bush wants to run the same scheme that was used during his time in Denver. He needs 2 really good/fast OLBs, and while Adibi and to an extent Diles are sure fast. I think we would benefit more from signing Karlos Dansby (I believe that Frank Bush was LB coach when the Cards drafted him) to start at the WLB and Boley to start at the SLB. Not only will that make Adibi and Diles (excellent) depth, but then we have Adibi learning under Karlos Dansby (who I think very highly of) as well as giving Diles time to "bulk up" in order to fit the role needed to play SLB in the system.

On the note of Frank Bush being the LB coach when the Cardinals drafted Karlos Dansby. Karlos averaged nearly 6 sacks a season during those years (which includes his rookie season) and 3.75 in the 2 years afterword. When Bush left, the Arizona D guys knew what they had in Dansby, and (subjective reasoning alert) probably increased his role on the defense, which can account for his higher tackle rate.
Dansby's career stats.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6792/career;_ylt=At5WRUqM_LtTawxF4z588tP.uLYF

If we got Boley though -whew- wowza.

Porky
01-14-2009, 12:59 PM
He's on my wish list, and would fit the supposed "aggressive run blitz" Bush wants to run.

If Bush wants to run the same scheme that was used during his time in Denver. He needs 2 really good/fast OLBs, and while Adibi and to an extent Diles are sure fast. I think we would benefit more from signing Karlos Dansby (I believe that Frank Bush was LB coach when the Cards drafted him) to start at the WLB and Boley to start at the SLB. Not only will that make Adibi and Diles (excellent) depth, but then we have Adibi learning under Karlos Dansby (who I think very highly of) as well as giving Diles time to "bulk up" in order to fit the role needed to play SLB in the system.

On the note of Frank Bush being the LB coach when the Cardinals drafted Karlos Dansby. Karlos averaged nearly 6 sacks a season during those years (which includes his rookie season) and 3.75 in the 2 years afterword. When Bush left, the Arizona D guys knew what they had in Dansby, and (subjective reasoning alert) probably increased his role on the defense, which can account for his higher tackle rate.
Dansby's career stats.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6792/career;_ylt=At5WRUqM_LtTawxF4z588tP.uLYF

If we got Boley though -whew- wowza.

That would be a dream come true, and would make our LB group a source of real stregth, both at the top and in terms of depth. I would kill for one of the two. If I had to pick, it would be Boley because I am higher on Adibi then I am on Diles who is undersized for the Sam.

Excellent analysis in these two posts.

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
That would be a dream come true, and would make our LB group a source of real stregth, both at the top and in terms of depth. I would kill for one of the two. If I had to pick, it would be Boley because I am higher on Adibi then I am on Diles who is undersized for the Sam.

Excellent analysis in these two posts.

I like all these posts in this thread. I'd also like to add that I'm really not banking on Diles coming back 100% to start SLB for us after his injury. If anything he'll be great depth is my thinking. I love the upside with Adibi out there too. Adding Boley would be a big upgrade for our LB's and would really let us focus on other needs during the draft.

He's the kind of signing I would expect and want us to get. I don't think there's going to be a guy like Asomugha or Peppers this year, but a guy like Boley would be a great addition. While not as high profile, it's pretty dang up there in regards to FA's we would probably get. I see us getting guys like him (and Bently/Colvin, etc) vs. going after huge names like Urlacher or Briggs and such.

With that said, I think he was arrested last year for battery (against his wife)? I'm not sure the details of this but others may. That's a definite negative depending the outcome... but from what I hear Falcons fans love him and like him on and off the field for the most part.

TimeKiller
01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm with ole miss in the thought that Diles probably isn't 100% next year. I think it's a hard decision to replace the guy though because he seemed to show up more and more every week. I'm good with Adibi + Ryans + Diles, but if one were to be upgraded I think it has to be Diles on the basis of "upside" which Adibi seems to have lots more of.

It certainly would be nice to see key additions in F/A, not just surprises like Walter/A.Davis/Demps for a year or terrible signings like Brown and Green.

Jackie Chiles
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Boley is about the same size as Adibi and maybe an inch taller. I'm pretty sure someone must have mistakenly labeled him as a SLB because he is a prototype weakside guy. If we brought him in and started him and Adibi on the outside we would have the smallest LB core in the NFL bar none. He is a heck of a player but I don't see him as the answer to our SLB problem.

My mistake, he has played SLB, apologies to the OP.

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I think a lot depends on what Bush wants to do with the front 4 and what our future DL coach likes to do. I can see if we get a run stuffing DT that can penetrate and have the other 3 DL shooting the gaps (creating more pressure than the past), where having 3 LB's that are good in coverage will be really benificial. I'm not sure about Boley's ability, but depending on what we decide to do with the DL, having 3 'undersized' LB's could be good.

infantrycak
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I like all these posts in this thread. I'd also like to add that I'm really not banking on Diles coming back 100% to start SLB for us after his injury.

I'm with ole miss in the thought that Diles probably isn't 100% next year.

Other than generic pessimism, where does that opinion come from?

Boley is about the same size as Adibi and maybe an inch taller. I'm pretty sure someone must have mistakenly labeled him as a SLB because he is a prototype weakside guy. If we brought him in and started him and Adibi on the outside we would have the smallest LB core in the NFL bar none. He is a heck of a player but I don't see him as the answer to our SLB problem.

Looks almost just like Tampa Bay:

SLB Derrick Brooks 235 lbs
MLB Barrett Ruud 241 lbs
WLB Cato June 227 lbs

SLB Michael Boley 223 lbs
MLB Demeco Ryans 250 lbs
WLB Xavier Adibi 232 lbs - before illness

Indy runs light as well:
SLB Freddy Kieaho 226 lbs
MLB Gary Brackett 235 lbs
WLB Clint Session 235 lbs

Porky
01-14-2009, 04:10 PM

He can run though right? I think that's what I remember about him - that he is fast and quick. We need to increase the team speed on the D. We need someone who can blitz, who can cover the TE, and run to the ball sideline to sideline.

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Other than generic pessimism, where does that opinion come from?

In general, I think our fanbase is way too convinced that injuries are only short term head aches. When we see so much potential from our young players, I think we get blinded by that optimism and assume everything will be okay. I view myself as always cautiously optimistic but when it comes to major injuries, I generally treat them pretty seriously. Immediately when Dunta was injured, I wrote him off for this entire season, while other fans were convinced he was such a fighter and competitor he'd be out there for game 1. What happens if Kubiak thinks that too and doesn't sign Jacques Reeves?

I'm far from an expert or a doctor, it's just I feel like the NFL is the best of the best. Diles has performed very admirably and I love him as a LB on this team... I'm just not ready to term him our long term starter especially post-injury recovery.

It just worries me that he's got an 18 inch steel rod in his leg and "we" expect him to be a great starter next season. (click image to view larger)

Jackie Chiles
01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
He can run though right? I think that's what I remember about him - that he is fast and quick. We need to increase the team speed on the D. We need someone who can blitz, who can cover the TE, and run to the ball sideline to sideline.

That he can and adding him would increase our talent at LB for sure, I just have a problem with the title labeling him as a strongside guy when he has been a weakside guy for the Falcons. Not saying that having two guys at OLB under 230 lbs wouldn't work but that is not the norm. Add in that we are currently a bit undersized at DT. Who knows, maybe they could excel in this new system we run next year but I think there is a reason that Adibi played on the weakside for us despite all the coach speak from Kubiak and the defensive guys saying he could play at either position.

infantrycak
01-14-2009, 05:03 PM
That he can and adding him would increase our talent at LB for sure, I just have a problem with the title labeling him as a strongside guy when he has been a weakside guy for the Falcons.

Hmmm, you sure? NFL.com has him at SLB. So do footballguys.com and ESPN.

Jackie Chiles
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Hmmm, you sure? NFL.com has him at SLB. So do footballguys.com and ESPN.

This has me intrigued. What is Keith Brooking listed at on those sites?

Jackie Chiles
01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
After doing some more research on it it looks like Boley has been play on the strongside for the Falcons. Brooking is the WLB after playing some Mike for the in the previous seasons. I still don't think he is a perfect fit for us but knowing that he has played on that side makes it more appealing to me. Here are some other links with discussions about Boley that caught my eye:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6117269

He has a neck injury and was benched at some point this season apparantly.

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3826155

Falcons fans apparently want to keep Boley around, let Brooking walk, and have Boley play WLB.

I still think he is more of a WLB guy and if he was to become a Texan I think the most likely LB corps would be Boley at the weakside, Meco in the middle and Diles at the strongside. I could be wrong about that. I think a better guy would be Leroy Hill from Seattle. He is a bit undersized for the strongside as well but he is closer to 240 than 220 and we keep Diles as depth with Adibi entrenched on the weakside. Hill has also had some nice sack numbers including 7.5 as a rook.

D-ReK
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Boley's for all the reasons mentioned previously in this thread: quick, athletic, can rush the passer, and can play the pass. That being said, he got benched for Coy freaking Wire because he wasn't stout at the point of attack and wasn't playing the run well. His best fit may be as a LB on obvious passing downs. That being said, he may come cheap, so this signing is definitely something that should be looked into by our FO.