PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing coaches still in playoffs

bckey
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I ran accross this posting on battleredblog by Oilers-Texans diehard. In it he states that teams can interview coaches that are still coaching on teams in the playoffs. Just thought I would pass the info on because I think most of us have been under the assumption that we had to wait until they are out of the playoffs. Here is an excerpt:

There is no NFL policy against interviewing coaches for teams that still have upcoming playoff games. The Jets are going to interview Cards OL coach Russ Grimm on Thursday in Arizona for their head coaching vacancy. They already interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo while the Giants were preparing for yesterdays game vs Philly. The Jets have received permission to speak with Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, but have not yet determined a day to meet.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/1/12/718491/why-no-word-from-the-texan

El Tejano
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I didn't realize that many coaches had interviews. Can we please make sure The Texans know about this rule because appearantly they don't.

eriadoc
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
There may be no NFL rule, but teams in the playoffs can deny permission until after.

Ole Miss Texan
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I think the proper protocol is to to go above the coach(es) to 'ask permission' first. If nothing else, I think its common courtesy. You don't want to piss off other teams that you may have to deal with in the future for player/draft pick trades, etc. I know I wouldn't want any team talking to or interviewing any of our coaches if they were preparing for a playoff game.

Good to know it's not a NFL rule, per se.