PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hire Josh McDaniels

stingray
01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
As their HC... Offensive coordinator for the Pats. I think they are trying to hit a homerun with an unkown like the Ravens and dolphins did this year. And he's only 32 years old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

Hervoyel
01-11-2009, 09:00 PM
As their HC... Offensive coordinator for the Pats. I think they are trying to hit a homerun with an unkown like the Ravens and dolphins did this year. And he's only 32 years old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

OK, and here's the thing we should all be thinking of right now. Mike Shanahan being fired in Denver helps Houston. If Josh McDaniels wants to transition to an offense that's a bit more "New England-like" and a bit less like what Denver has been doing for the last decade then we're going to benefit from that because the Broncos are going to be making personnel changes and those players are going to potentially fit what we're doing very well.

We could definitely find some OL depth in this if he starts making big changes to the way they do things.

gtexan02
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
OK, and here's the thing we should all be thinking of right now. Mike Shanahan being fired in Denver helps Houston. If Josh McDaniels wants to transition to an offense that's a bit more "New England-like" and a bit less like what Denver has been doing for the last decade then we're going to benefit from that because the Broncos are going to be making personnel changes and those players are going to potentially fit what we're doing very well.

We could definitely find some OL depth in this if he starts making big changes to the way they do things.

Exactly what I was thinking. The small, athletic lineman currently employed by the Denver Broncos don't really do all that well in a traditional NFL offense like the one run by NE.

We should have a leg up on whoever is released, because we've got both Kubes and Gibbs here now

TEXANRED
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
None of the Patriots assistants have had success any where they have gone. Kinda surprised they still get employed.

texasguy346
01-11-2009, 09:41 PM
This could be good news for Herm Edwards. With Pioli being the frontrunner for the GM job in Kansas City he would likely look to McDaniels to be the Chiefs head coach. With him off the market that increases Herm's chances of returning as HC.

texasguy346
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Interesting to note that the Denver Post is reporting that Dom Capers will be hired in some capacity for the Broncos. I'd imagine he'd be the defensive coordinator, but ESPN is reporting that McDermott is McDaniels' choice for that spot. We'll see.

link (http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11430967?source=rss)

Brando
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
None of the Patriots assistants have had success any where they have gone. Kinda surprised they still get employed.

No kidding, The Browns hired former Patriots assistant Mangini to replace former Patriots assistant Crennel. Seems like the Browns would have went another direction but I guess not.

That said, Josh McDaniels did a good job with the Patriots offense this year so I guess we will see how this one and the Mangini hire pans out.

TEXANRED
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Interesting to note that the Denver Post is reporting that Dom Capers will be hired in some capacity for the Broncos. I'd imagine he'd be the defensive coordinator, but ESPN is reporting that McDermott is McDaniels' choice for that spot. We'll see.

Over my cold dead body.

Brando
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM

But Mort points out that McDermott remains under contract for another year, which means that the Eagles can block him from leaving for anything other than a head-coaching job.

pft (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/11/mcdaniels-wants-mcdermott/)

I guess we're going have to wait and see how this all unfolds. I would love to have McDermott as the DC here in Houston.

Specnatz
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM

I think most of the problems have been by not having a very strong GM and personnel man. Denver is wanting to get away from one guy in-charge to having a more traditional front office/HC approach.

DocBar
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6205922.html
It looks like we survived another hiring. I still like Romeo Crenell. I think he can coach any system, depending on the players he has and he has an excellent background as a DC. Gray could be the Man also, and maybe that would be a good thing. I don't have my heart set on a DC, I'm just thankful it isn't Richard Smith. For thr moent that gives me high hopes for next season.

IlliniJen
01-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I cringe every time someone younger than me is hired as a head coach. A 32 year old? Sheesh.

gg no re
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Gives me a moneymaker idea for a new sitcom--think along the lines of Doogie Howser, HC.

dbspi
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Mike Nolan is hired to be Broncos DC.

mexican_texan
01-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Hmmm...this makes the Cassel situation more interesting. I expected him to follow McDaniels, but not with Jay Cutler already at the helm at QB. Maybe the Niners could sign him.

bah007
01-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Hmmm...this makes the Cassel situation more interesting. I expected him to follow McDaniels, but not with Jay Cutler already at the helm at QB. Maybe the Niners could sign him.

Cassel was franchised wasn't he?

Niners would have to trade for him.

BattleRedToro
01-12-2009, 07:09 AM
pft (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/11/mcdaniels-wants-mcdermott/)

I guess we're going have to wait and see how this all unfolds. I would love to have McDermott as the DC here in Houston.

I don't understand how they can keep a Defensive Backs coach from getting promoted to being a Defensive Coordinator.

If an orginization can do that then the owners need to consider changing that.

Sure, it helps limit the losses of succesful coaching staffs, but it also limits the advancement of deserving candidates.

I remember the Cardinals blocked the Texans from hiring Frank Bush as a Defensive Coordinator, but I thought it was because he was already serving as a Defensive Coordinator for the Cardinals, and therefore it would be a lateral move.

If he wasn't a DC then that stinks as much as the Eagles potentially blocking McDermott's advancement.

dsorc
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
So the Broncos have hired McDaniels, Capers and Nolan. It seems from the coaches chosen that they will be switching to a 3-4 soon. That defense needed to be overhauled anyways but this might be a drastic change in personnel.

mexican_texan
01-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Cassel was franchised wasn't he?

Niners would have to trade for him.
I haven't heard anything about him being franchised yet.

IlliniJen
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I haven't heard anything about him being franchised yet.

Looks like they're going to have to, though. Brady's injury is just strange and he won't be ready to go next season.

jgl35
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't understand how they can keep a Defensive Backs coach from getting promoted to being a Defensive Coordinator.

Sure, it helps limit the losses of succesful coaching staffs, but it also limits the advancement of deserving candidates.

I remember the Cardinals blocked the Texans from hiring Frank Bush as a Defensive Coordinator, but I thought it was because he was already serving as a Defensive Coordinator for the Cardinals, and therefore it would be a lateral move.

If he wasn't a DC then that stinks as much as the Eagles potentially blocking McDermott's advancement.
Andy Reid never stops any assistant from going to a coordinator position. Frazier,Rivera, and Spagnuo were under contract before going on to new teams as dc's.

Specnatz
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM

They could stop him because he is under contract, but 90% (IMO) of teams do not block the interview and or hiring if it is a promotion. It is bad business and could keep them from getting coaches in the future if the coach is under contract or not.

mexican_texan
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Looks like they're going to have to, though. Brady's injury is just strange and he won't be ready to go next season.
But it's the Patriots. I'm sure they'd feel comfortable with Gutierrez under center until Brady is ready. They have a lot of work to do on defense and tying up $20 something million on two QBs isn't something they would or should do.

The Transition tag is probably the likely thing if they do decide to keep Cassel.

LonerATO
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I laughed when this happened as I was in Winter Park for a few days and the news caster compared Obama to McDaniels.

cuppacoffee
01-17-2009, 11:46 AM

I beg to differ with you...Charlie Weis went to Notre Dame and ....uh...never mind.

Disgruntled Irish fan.

:coffee: