PDA

View Full Version : Marinelli Interviews w/Texans, Signs w/Bears

DocBar
01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6200476.html

I hope this goes nowhere. The last thing we need is ANOTHER 1st time DC, especially one coming off of an 0-16 HC effort.

Polo
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Ummm....

I wouldn't be too pissed with him...

Carr Bombed
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm sure he would work wonders with the Dline though...

Brando
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I would like to have him as the DL coach.

4Texans
01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
We're not necessarily looking at him for the DC postion, nor is he looking to be a DC this year. He was a very respected D Line Coach when he got the job at Detroit. I wouldn't be at all upset if we hired him as a DL coach.

Regardless, at least the Texans are starting to interview people, and he's just the first.

Polo
01-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Does this mean that he's one of our top prospects?

pittbull3
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I think he would be a good addition. Some guys are meant to be coord, and I think he will realize that. I also think he is a class guy, with the way he handled the entire Detroit thing. Awesome they way he did that. Would love to just have a conversation with him about all of that mess.

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
He's a great defensive minded coach and he's really got good connections with his players. I'd love this hiring for DL coach or maybe co-DC

4Texans
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I think he would be a good addition. Some guys are meant to be coord, and I think he will realize that. I also think he is a class guy, with the way he handled the entire Detroit thing. Awesome they way he did that. Would love to just have a conversation with him about all of that mess.

I agree...

DocBar
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
If they're interviewing him as DL coach, that would be cool. If we were going to go with a 1st time DC, I'd just as soon it be Bush. He was the guy Kubes wanted in the 1st place, so maybe he has what it takes.

pittbull3
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
He's a great defensive minded coach and he's really got good connections with his players. I'd love this hiring for DL coach or maybe co-DC

That's exactly what the Texans need. Someone to build a relationship with his defensive players and create accountability. Too much distance between millionaire coaches and players. We already have a laxed atmosphere in houston to begin with. I know players that left and went to other teams, and they said Houston is the best team in the league to chill at. No stress, big check, low accountability, and treated like kings by the organization. All that is good, but they have yet to create the family atmosphere, to want to succeed for their brothers on the field, and make it happen for their "papa", position coach.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
If they're interviewing him as DL coach, that would be cool. If we were going to go with a 1st time DC, I'd just as soon it be Bush. He was the guy Kubes wanted in the 1st place, so maybe he has what it takes.

Ive said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. No coach from on staff deserves the DC. That was a lack-luster game plan/scheme run for three years. Time for some new.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
We're not necessarily looking at him for the DC postion, nor is he looking to be a DC this year. He was a very respected D Line Coach when he got the job at Detroit. I wouldn't be at all upset if we hired him as a DL coach.

Regardless, at least the Texans are starting to interview people, and he's just the first.

Well, unless we've already settled on Bush as the DC, I sure hope we aren't interviewing this guy for our DL, when we don't even have a DC in place yet... I'd say it's pretty important to let the DC bring in his guys. The last thing we need is more competing philosophies on the defensive side of the ball.

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Your statement might have alot more to it than you think. We have to ask why would we interview a guy to fill the DL coach need before we find out who our DC is? Unless of course you already feel you got your DC in place (Bush) and he said he wants Marinelli.

Otherwise wouldn't you want your DC to recommend who he wants for the DL?

Polo
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Your statement might have alot more to it than you think. We have to ask why would we interview a guy to fill the DL coach need before we find out who our DC is? Unless of course you already feel you got your DC in place (Bush) and he said he wants Marinelli.

Otherwise wouldn't you want your DC to recommend who he wants for the DL?

Probably because they're interviewing him for the coord. position....

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Ive said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. No coach from on staff deserves the DC. That was a lack-luster game plan/scheme run for three years. Time for some new.

Somebody on TT.com said that he waited on Bush at a restaurant and asked Bush if he did any play calling or anything and all Bush said was that he and Kubes restricted certain defensive plays from Richard Smith.

Goldensilence
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Does this mean that he's one of our top prospects?

I hope it's more the first guy there were able to get an interview scheduled with and that'll likely be around after the NFL head coach turnstile stops. While I like the fact that he's got a good history working with DLs and is very familiar with the Tampa 2 defense, I can't get over a guy that has 0-16 stink on him.

bckey
01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, unless we've already settled on Bush as the DC, I sure hope we aren't interviewing this guy for our DL, when we don't even have a DC in place yet... I'd say it's pretty important to let the DC bring in his guys. The last thing we need is more competing philosophies on the defensive side of the ball.

That is exactly what I was thinking. IMHO this means he IS here to interview for the job of dc. The only way he would be interviewed for dl coach is if Bush is their man for dc.

Hagar
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
He may not be a good candidate for DC, but he's a great candidate for D-Line. I got this from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Marinelli):

1973-1975 Rosemead High School (Defensive coordinator)
1976-1981 Utah State University (Defensive line coach)
1982 Utah State University (Offensive line and special teams coach)
1983-1989 University of California (defensive line coach)
1990-1991 University of California (defensive line and assistant head coach)
1992-1994 Arizona State University (defensive line and assistant head coach)
1995 University of Southern California (Defensive line coach)
1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Defensive line coach)
2002-2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (defensive line and assistant head coach)
2006-2008 Detroit Lions (Head coach)

Those were some good years for the Bucs defense.

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Agree and disagree. It is ok to have different philosophy on the defensive side of the ball as long as there is one person in-charge and everyone is on the same page. Most DC would prefer to hire there own people but Mainelli is probably so highly thought of as a DL coach that any coordinator would be glad to have him.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I will say this, it does seem to me that our current talent on defensive fits a Marinelli style defense better than most:

1. 4-3
2. One gap DTs: most agree that Okoye, also probably Cochran, Robinson, and Bulman are most likely to excel at.
3. Premium pass rusher at DE: Mario- obviously we could use another
4. Undersized but speedy playmaking LBs: Adibi, Ryans, Diles all fit that standard. I also think Ryans has the ability to make the deep middle drops on pass plays, though we've not seen a ton of evidence of it.
5. Corners that can play aggressive at and near the line: Dunta, JReeves, Bennett- that would best describe each of their strengths, I think. Though, Reeves has shown good recovery speed which is less needed in this style of Cover 2 defense.
6. Obviously we need to work on our safety situation with any defense that requires an 11 man team!

LORK 88
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
He was in Tampa with Warren Sapp, someone who everyone compared Amobi Okoye to in the draft. Should be interesting, but I would welcome him as the D Line coach easily. Undecided about him as DC, but I think he could make it work (either way he's an upgrade over Smith).

bckey
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
either way he's an upgrade over Smith

Man you got that right!

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
He was in Tampa with Warren Sapp, someone who everyone compared Amobi Okoye to in the draft. Should be interesting, but I would welcome him as the D Line coach easily. Undecided about him as DC, but I think he could make it work (either way he's an upgrade over Smith).

At least from a fan's perspective, we'll have an understanding of what they're trying to do. My guess is that a player would feel the same way- that at least they will understand what the coaching staff expects from them and what is trying to be accomplished.

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM

He also coached Rice in TB

TheRealJoker
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I dont know why people dont want him as DC. The guy was the best DL coach in the NFL before he took the HC job at Detroit. When Amobi came out he was being compared to Warren Sapp... get Marinelli and we get the guy who taugh Sapp how to be Sapp. Plus, there is no other coach i'd want in charge of developing our underachieving DL. Get Gray at DC if you want to fix the secondary immediately or Marinelli if you want the DL to start performing to expectations is my thinking.

Marinelli brings the Tampa 2 to Houston, Gray brings Fisher's D. I wouldn't mind either of them after seeing the crap Richard Smith put out there.

barrett
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
i think people are hesitant to embrace the idea because we've already suffered through a first time DC and a loosing team and he would bring both to our team once again. Furthermore, someone like Williams that has a clear scheme would set minds at ease after dealing with what seemed to be an unclear vision or direction for the D. Having said that, I think Marinelli would make a good addition to our DLine but I don't see it happening. We don't have a DC yet and he has no ties to Houston. He's interviewed with two teams that he has direct ties to already.

RipTraxx
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
i think people are hesitant to embrace the idea because we've already suffered through a first time DC and a loosing team and he would bring both to our team once again. Furthermore, someone like Williams that has a clear scheme would set minds at ease after dealing with what seemed to be an unclear vision or direction for the D. Having said that, I think Marinelli would make a good addition to our DLine but I don't see it happening. We don't have a DC yet and he has no ties to Houston. He's interviewed with two teams that he has direct ties to already.

Crazy as this is to fathom, Smith was a DC in Miami when Nick Saban was there.

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I dont know why people dont want him as DC. The guy was the best DL coach in the NFL before he took the HC job at Detroit. When Amobi came out he was being compared to Warren Sapp... get Marinelli and we get the guy who taugh Sapp how to be Sapp. Plus, there is no other coach i'd want in charge of developing our underachieving DL. Get Gray at DC if you want to fix the secondary immediately or Marinelli if you want the DL to start performing to expectations is my thinking.

Marinelli brings the Tampa 2 to Houston, Gray brings Fisher's D. I wouldn't mind either of them after seeing the crap Richard Smith put out there.

My anxiety can be summed up by 4 simple characters: 0-16

No matter how poor of talent you have, no matter how good or bad a coach is, 0-16 is really something special. Its the worst of the worst. No team in the history of the NFL has EVER done so poorly. Thats a lot of baggage for a coach.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM

No matter how poor of talent you have, no matter how good or bad a coach is, 0-16 is really something special. Its the worst of the worst. No team in the history of the NFL has EVER done so poorly. Thats a lot of baggage for a coach.

Sure, I'd be screaming "no" if we were interviewing him for a head coach position. Totally different!

Ole Miss Texan
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty excited about Marinelli. Maybe you can compare him to Dom Capers, whome we know all too well. Pretty crappy head coach but is a pretty good coordinator. The 0-16 funk is hard to swallow as is the fact he's never been a DC. I think he'd be a hell of an addition as DL coach and am somewhat excited if he's our next DC.

From what I've read of the Eagles secondary coach, Sean McDermott, He seems like he could be a fun DC to have here. Marinelli as DL coach, McDermott as DC who has a "specialty" with safeties/secondary... :drool: We'd be getting some good input on 'D' player to draft this year, DE like Brown, DT like Raji, S like Mays...

I at least like the fact we're interviewing Marinelli, he's on the tops of my list to come here.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 01:05 PM

If I was interviewing him for DC, my first question would be, "why did a talent like Ernie Sims get worse and less disciplined the more time you were his coach?" That is an example of concerns I would have much more than failing as a head coach in Detroit- he's only human!

TexanSam
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd love it if he came here as the D-line coach. I think he could do wonders with Amobi and Mario. He could do to the d-line what Gibbs did to the O-line

Polo
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
If any franchise had the potential to be 0-16 it was the damn Lions.

I'd like for them to keep looking, but with all the money tied up in our D-line I don't see a negative of obtaining a guy who's specialty is D-line.

After that bad experience with the Lions he probably learned a lot.

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Yet in the same breath a lot of folks would be happy to have Sean McDermott. Mainly because of the Jim Johnson pedigree tree.

He was handicapped by having Millian as his GM.

Polo
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
If I was interviewing him for DC, my first question would be, "why did a talent like Ernie Sims get worse and less disciplined the more time you were his coach?" That is an example of concerns I would have much more than failing as a head coach in Detroit- he's only human!

The same reason David Carr had a -5 yard passing game under Kubiak

Sal Rosenberg
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
This is a good thing . right?

PHAROAH
I think it's for Defensive Coordinator position I can't see him reporting to Frank Bush who has never called plays and this guy was the Head Man of an NFL team. I think that he would do a very good job as defensive coordinator and he doesn't have to deal with Matt Millen drafting sorry players anymore.

scourge
They ran the Tampa 2... was/is he a proponent of that? Or just the 4-3 in general.

i'm not too high on the Cover 2 as a base, but whatever. I like Marinelli and if he can make that work, then so be it.

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
D line coach, but that is it!!!

No way should the Texans take an 0-16 guy and make him our Defensive coordinator. The Lions had one of if not the worst defense I've ever seen in history this season with Marinelli. He is not ready to become a defensive coordinator.

I'll be ticked as anyone could be if he becomes our coordinator on defense. i'd rather have Smith back then. All of you that bashed Smith all year and would want Marinelli to take over the entire defense are crazy. The Lions never had any kind of defensive PULSE at all under this guy as head coach. He is NOT some brilliant defensive coach. Maybe he is for the D LINE BY ITSELF, but not the entire defense.

The Texans need a proven defensive coordinator right now. No reaches, no gambles, none of that fly stuff. We need a guy that has done it before and been successful.

PHAROAH
01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I still would like to see houston interview Sean Mcdermott from Philly!!!!

Jackie Chiles
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Most DC would prefer to hire there own people but Mainelli is probably so highly thought of as a DL coach that any coordinator would be glad to have him.

Exactly, I don't know of a DC in the league that would be upset to have Rod Marinelli as their DL coach. This would be a very solid hire as long as its as a position coach.

On another note I would love to be a fly on the wall during this interview. The article states that he has close ties to the other places he has interviewed (Chicago and Seattle) but we have a real ace up our sleeve in Mario and Amobi can't hurt either. Coaching these two guys, almost from the beginning of their careers, should be very attractive to a guru like Marinelli. Open up that pocketbook McNair!

Drew_Smoke
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I am glad he is here and I trust that Kubes is gonna make the right choices.

I am hoping for DL Coach but you never know. But to say he has no experience or he's got 0-16 baggage or he's got cooties is being short sighted. I never saw his players quit on him either.

"Listen to the fans and you'll soon be sitting with them."

See VY...

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I am glad he is here and I trust that Kubes is gonna make the right choices.

I am hoping for DL Coach but you never know. But to say he has no experience or he's got 0-16 baggage or he's got cooties is being short sighted. I never saw his players quit on him either.

"Listen to the fans and you'll soon be sitting with them."

See VY...

His defense quit on him in a ton of games this season. Make no mistake about that.

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
After reviewing all the info on the Lions D the last few years, good lord. If it was not for Cleveland, Cincinnati and Houston they would have had the worst defenses in the league.

Line Coach yes D coordinator not so much.

Drew_Smoke
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
His defense quit on him in a ton of games this season. Make no mistake about that.

Then you have NFL ticket or nothing else to do. One game of their's I watched all the way thru was against the Texans. Looked to me like they were serious.

The Tenn game was pretty bad. But they were 4-0 in pre-season...woo hoo

0-16...that which does not kill will make you stronger. He was not a buffoon. If Kubes brings him in at all, I will not whine.

Polo
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Marinelli and Dom Capers are kinda similar

Hey...Maybe we can interview Capers for the Job!

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Then you have NFL ticket or nothing else to do. One game of their's I watched all the way thru was against the Texans. Looked to me like they were serious.

The Tenn game was pretty bad. But they were 4-0 in pre-season...woo hoo

0-16...that which does not kill will make you stronger. He was not a buffoon. If Kubes brings him in at all, I will not whine.

I do have friends that have NFL ticket and yes I watched just about every Detroit game this year. That doesn't mean I have nothing else to do, that means I love football! I had Calvin Johnson on my fantasy team and I've always been a Detroit fan as well, so I watch the Lions a lot. And if you only watched one game of the Lions this year, I'm not sure why you even are challenging anyone on whether their team quit this year because you didn't watch.

Their defense was the worst part of their team. The D was so horrible that it made the offense worse, because the offense could hardly ever run the ball because they were always down by two TD's as soon as the game started. They were atrocious from the beginning of the year and got worse the more the season dragged on. The guys in the secondary were giving up on all kinds of plays, it was pathetic.

It is one thing when your D is horrible, it is another when it only gets worse as the season goes on. The Texans had a horrible D this year, but it respectfully got better. The opposite happened in Detroit, it just got worse and worse even when you didn't think it could get any worse.

And he was a total bufoon as a head coach there. There is no argument against that. They were 0-16 for crying out loud.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Somebody on TT.com said that he waited on Bush at a restaurant and asked Bush if he did any play calling or anything and all Bush said was that he and Kubes restricted certain defensive plays from Richard Smith.

I have no doubt. That doesnt change that we had 2 1/2 years of shitty play calling.

HoustonFrog
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
If you ever saw him interviewed during the 0-16 season you'd come away impressed. He had resolve and despite how incredibly bad they were, they always seemed to hang around in some games. I liked what he had to say during trying times.

Shaft75
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Everyone look back and see what Capers has done since leaving Houston. He was another defensive coach that inherited a team full of players with no talent and a GM, well, with no talent. Like the Marinelli coached Lions going 0-16, the Texans had a decent year before going 2-14.

Since Capers was fired, he went on to become the Dolphins defensive coordinator and went 9-7, then 1-15. While the defenses aren't similar, the path is almost the same. Capers is now the secondary coach for the New England Patriots and I don't remember them having a great year on defense.

History is something that we can always learn from.

Give me a young, aggressive defensive coordinator. Not one that is on the downside of his coaching career.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums//showthread.php?t=57495

So I waited on Frank Bush tonight. Great guy and his wife is sweet as anything. We didn't talk much football, as I wanted to give the guy a nice dinner away from work. But at the end of the meal when his wife was distracted talking to their friend and he was sitting silently I asked him if he minded if we talked for a minute. I then asked him what was the biggest change in our defense over the second half, and whether there were any changes he made in the last 8 games with our defensive scheme. In fact I asked him point blank if he was calling the plays.

He attributed the difference at the end of the season largely to Dunta, although he went out of his way to compliment our LB corps, and while he didn't say he called the plays, he did say that "Coach and I" (I assume Kubiak) banned certain plays by Smith, but let him call his own game otherwise. Maybe it's just me, but telling a coach that some of their basic plays are off limits is pretty damn close to removing play calling duties. I can see the conversation now -- "Sure you can call any play you want. Except that one. Or that one. Maybe this play would work?"

He didn't seem all that certain about getting any promotion. He just said that Kubiak is going to be a great head coach very soon, and we discussed how Gary is learning to stop micromanaging -- he is hiring people he trusts and learning to trust them to call the shots (using Shanahan's offensive playcalling as an example). FWIW he seemed to agree with me that Schaub needs to have some independent control in the offense as well. Thinking of how explosive we could be with a no huddle offense and effective audibles makes me giddy.

Courtesy of Dan B.

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Everyone look back and see what Capers has done since leaving Houston. He was another defensive coach that inherited a team full of players with no talent and a GM, well, with no talent. Like the Marinelli coached Lions going 0-16, the Texans had a decent year before going 2-14.

Since Capers was fired, he went on to become the Dolphins defensive coordinator and went 9-7, then 1-15. While the defenses aren't similar, the path is almost the same. Capers is now the secondary coach for the New England Patriots and I don't remember them having a great year on defense.

Give me a young, aggressive defensive coordinator. Not one that is on the downside of his coaching career.

Very well said and I completely agree.

Killer Bee
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Marinelli is one of the guys at the top of my list. He’s one of the best motivators in the game and players always lay it on the line for him. Even the 0-16 Lions fought to the bitter end. You can’t say that for some other teams (Cleveland Browns). His specialty is the D-line which is where all our money is tied up. The Texans defensive talent would translate very well into a Tampa 2, a lot of team speed with a rangy MLB. The Lions D was atrocious in his tenure but there’s really no talent besides Ernie Simms.

Ole Miss Texan
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
If Marinelli would be open to being our DL coach, it might actually sway some potential DC's our way. If we get him signed up, he may actually have incluence on us getting a better defensive coordinator.

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
If Marinelli would be open to being our DL coach, it might actually sway some potential DC's our way. If we get him signed up, he may actually have incluence on us getting a better defensive coordinator.

In that way I'd be fine with him. I'd like him for the D line coach. Just not the coordinator.

Killer Bee
01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Here are a couple of his more infamous quotes. At least he gives a good media interview.

"Even if you don't play well, you've got to play hard. If you don't, you become what you tolerate. If you tolerate poor practice habits, if you tolerate not finishing, if you tolerate lack of execution, that's what you become."

“You’re in this dark tunnel and you’ve got no way out, you’re waiting for light, and you see that light, what do you do? What do you do? You start digging and getting out. … I’ve always believed you stay in the tunnel and you keep digging when you expect no light. You have the same faith when you expect no light. You have the same belief in what you’re doing when you expect no light. … It’s dark and I’m going to dig through. My shovel is sharp and my pick is sharp and my will is outstanding.”

Take that Dick Smith

He’s also a Vietnam Vet, so his style of coaching is a derivative of his experiences there.

Shaft75
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Can someone else point out a young coaching candidate that may be on our radar?

Drew_Smoke
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
And he was a total bufoon as a head coach there. There is no argument against that. They were 0-16 for crying out loud.

He got Matt Millen fired too, right? He did have some great talent to work with. Calvin Johnson is a beast but my kid could have made that pick.

You have better friends than me. I don't know anyone who would put up with me (non-female) to watch a Lions game every week.

I disagree with you again but thank you for losing the bold type. I can actually dig what you say before I slowly shake my head.

disaacks3
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Their defense was the worst part of their team. The D was so horrible that it made the offense worse, because the offense could hardly ever run the ball because they were always down by two TD's as soon as the game started. They were atrocious from the beginning of the year and got worse the more the season dragged on. The guys in the secondary were giving up on all kinds of plays, it was pathetic.

It is one thing when your D is horrible, it is another when it only gets worse as the season goes on. The Texans had a horrible D this year, but it respectfully got better. The opposite happened in Detroit, it just got worse and worse even when you didn't think it could get any worse.

And he was a total bufoon as a head coach there. There is no argument against that. They were 0-16 for crying out loud. Down by two TD's you say?...in 11/16 games that's just not correct by the end of the 1st qtr.

Telling stats (since you're trying to blame this on their Defense) of those 5 games:

4/5 had Offenses ranked 8th or better
3/5 were aided by turnovers - TWO in the 1st quarter against TEN (incidentally, the ONLY non top-8 offense)

So...WHICH games were you watching again?

The Texans had the 3rd best Offense in the league to fall back on...Detroit's was 30th. They were also a whopping ONE turnover better than the Texans with a NEG 9 ratio.

IMHO - Was Marinelli in over his head as the full-blown HC?...probably. He certainly wasn't a buffoon, he handled it far classier than many folks due while winning.

Don't let the 0-16 number convince you that Marinelli has no skills, nothing could be further from the truth.

Porky
01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm starting to coelesce around the idea that the best thing would be for Marinelli at DL and Jerry Gray at DC. Now just add Sean Mcdermott as secondary coach, and we'll be in the Super Bowl in 2010. :fans:

Ok, wake up Porky. :spit:

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Down by two TD's you say?...in 11/16 games that's just not correct by the end of the 1st qtr.

Telling stats (since you're trying to blame this on their Defense) of those 5 games:

4/5 had Offenses ranked 8th or better
3/5 were aided by turnovers - TWO in the 1st quarter against TEN (incidentally, the ONLY non top-8 offense)

So...WHICH games were you watching again?

The Texans had the 3rd best Offense in the league to fall back on...Detroit's was 30th. They were also a whopping ONE turnover better than the Texans with a NEG 9 ratio.

IMHO - Was Marinelli in over his head as the full-blown HC?...probably. He certainly wasn't a buffoon, he handled it far classier than many folks due while winning.

Don't let the 0-16 number convince you that Marinelli has no skills, nothing could be further from the truth.

Come on man, I didn't really mean in every first quarter they were down by two TD's right away in every game. I was exaggerating a bit. But in just about every game all season long the Lions were having to play from behind and weren't able to run the ball near as much making their offense that much more predictable.

And if the only thing that people can keep saying about Marinelli is that he has class, then i'm sorry but that is useless. Who cares? The Texans don't need a coach because he has class. We need a coach that can turn this defense into a hard hitting mean defense. I could care less how well Marinelli took his losses. They were still losses. Just because he is a good guy and a good role model DOESN'T make him a capable coach for being a coordinator right now.

The Texans are in the last year of the Kubiak regime if this team doesn't make the playoffs and this defense doesn't get turned around Kubes will be gone and we'll have a new regime again. We can't make a reach and grab a coach that is a gamble. We need to get a young hungry guy that is ready to make this an aggressive defense. Not some older guy that just went 0-16 and didn't know how to motivate his players and had one of the worst defenses in the league.

Again, if we were going to hire him then we might as well had kept Smith. I don't even want Bush to be promoted, but I'd take Bush over Marinelli any day.

All of the excuses for Marinelli are pathetic though. People forget that the Lions were 6-2 last season and started out really well. Then after that, they only won one more game of that season and then went on to lose all of them this year. So that is going 6-2 only to finish the rest of last year and this year off at 1-23. And that is the guy some of you would want to run a defense that was already horrible this season? Any guy that can coach a team to 6-2 and then to lose 23 out of 24 is NOT a coach I want around here.

D line coach = fine and dandy.

D coordinaor = NO WAY!

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry, but being gracious in defeat is not a quality that I care to look for in my potential defensive coordinator.

The guy has been a loser the last 3 years. The NFL Is very much a "What have you done for me lately" kind of league.

He has never succeeded as a DC. The only position he has ever been successful in was DL coach.

IF we bring him aboard, I hope its nothing higher than DL coach. I would love to see him in that capacity, but to say that he would make a great DC is just conjecture. He has nothing in his coaching resume over the last 3 years to make me believe he would be as successful at coordinating an entire defense as he was just hte defensive line

Rozelle
01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I may be mistaken, but by a few of these posts it sounds like there are a those who think Houston will have a difficult time attracting a DC.
I don’t see any reason why a positions coach wanting to be a DC or an already established DC wouldn’t want an opportunity with this defense/team.
The Texans have one of the best young DE in the league in Mario… a very young, talented DT in Okoye… a talented, tough, smart, hard working; football is important MLB in Ryans… and a talented corner in Robinson. Not to mention the luxury of an offense who showed signs of a running game with a RB who seems to get stronger as the game goes on and can control the clock in the 4th quarter in Slaton… solid QB, one of the best tight ends nobody knows about and one if not The best wide out in the game. This… on a team who most everyone feels is on the rise. This is an awesome situation to come into.
I understand the concerns with Marinelli and his 0-16 mark as a HC, I’m also a bit leery of him as a DC, however if he had once been a successful DC, it wouldn’t bother me at all, he's a good man, class act, and does know defense. So many times coordinators fail as HCs, but are still great coordinators, unfortunately for Marinelli, he doesn’t have DC on his résumé. WTS as a DL coach he has to be intrigued about the opportunity of working with Mario and Amobi.

If Bush is the guy, why not announce it, make it official. Maybe it’s because their guy is still coaching in the playoffs (McDermott please). They could have contacted a playoff team about a positions coach and both teams are keeping it on the lowdown, I know… hard to believe in this day and age, but not out of the question. Playoff teams don’t want distractions and I believe Houston, is a classy organization and would respect other teams and coaches wishes.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd like to see him in a roll of DL coach

I am hoping he was a product of the peter principal

hadaad
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
0-16. My teeth are starting to itch.

Hervoyel
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Keep in mind that he went from DL coach to Head Coach and skipped the DC "level" entirely. Sure he had an "Assistant Head Coach" tacked on to his title in Tampa Bay but that title is thrown around so casually in the NFL that we have no idea what that means. Lets look at who he spent a decade coaching with. I'm talking about Monte Kiffin and Tony Dungy people.

The man has a pedigree and it's a pedigree that I'd be a damned sight more comfortable with than I would most first time DC's. I keep reading about plucking guys from the Parcells "tree" and the Jim Johnson "tree". What in the hell is wrong with a guy who spent 10 years in the Monte Kiffin tree?

We know he can't be a head coach but who's asking him to do that here? We have one and this one is going to sink or swim with his next choice. If Kubiak decides it's Marinelli I'm going to get behind that because he's going to be hiring a guy who doesn't know the meaning of the word quit and who spent 10 years coaching the baddest assed part of one of the baddest ass defenses of the last decade.

3 years working in the nuthouse that is the Detroit Lions doesn't discourage me. The Lions could make any coach a loser and have proven it time and time again.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Of Course this IS the internet(and a blog of someone I have never read from so I don't know how reputable) and you can only believe less than half you read, BUT, if true, I LIKE IT because I am like some on here, I am not really excited about him as DC but here is a possible tidbit.

Rod Marinelli's agent, Frank Bauer, was serious last week when he said his client was drawing interest from multiple teams. After speaking with the Bears and Seattle about coaching vacancies, Marinelli is in Houston today (Thursday) speaking with the Texans. They have openings at defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

One media outlet that has covered Marinelli in-depth says he would prefer to take a defensive line coaching job rather than become a defensive coordinator. That means the Bears could hire him while also keeping Bob Babich in place, as has been speculated they want to do.

Here's what the Detroit Free Press said about Marinelli's outlook:

"Marinelli isn't interested in becoming a coordinator. He would like to go back to his roots and coach the defensive line. He probably would like to serve as an assistant head coach, too, as he did with Tampa Bay before coming to Detroit.

"That fits Marinelli's strengths. He doesn't have to put together game plans or make play calls. He can focus on the minute details of his beloved D line -- as he did even as the Lions' head coach -- and help the head coach with overall message and motivation."

The Free Press also notes that if a team such as the Bears hires Marinelli as defensive line coach and his son-in-law, former Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, as linebackers coach, Marinelli wouldn't have to directly oversee Barry as he did with the Lions.

That relationship drew plenty of criticism in Detroit, what with the whole nepotism angle and all

http://www.nwherald.com/blogs/entries/2009/01/08/11957409/index.xml

I would think Houston should be a very attractive place for some coaches with Mario,Okoye and crew to develop along with a good chance we will be drafting defense early .. A coach that steps in here should be excited

Wolf
01-08-2009, 05:30 PM
The Texans interviewed former Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli for their vacant defensive line job today.

Marinelli came to Houston from Detroit and spent the day at Reliant Stadium before returning to Michigan.

“It was an excellent interview,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I have a lot of respect for Rod. He’s as good a defensive line coach as I’ve seen. He’s a tough guy with an aggressive style. He’d bring the kind of toughness to that side of the ball that (assistant head coach) Alex (Gibbs) brought to the offense.”

that should quiet down some of the speculation of DC

Texecutioner
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM

that should quiet down some of the speculation of DC

Well I was very adament earlier about not wanting him to be the coordinator, but I wouldn't mind him at all for the D line coach. That would probably be a really good hire for our D line.

steelbtexan
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Isn't Alex Gibbs already the asst. head coach?

I want McDermott as DC but would be OK with Marinelli or Bush

I wonder if KUBES is going to hire Bush as DC & hire Marinelli & Barry as DL & LB coaches?

I dont think I would have a problem with this.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM

He is assistant head coach/offense.

Jackie Chiles
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM

I want McDermott as DC but would be OK with Marinelli or Bush

I wonder if KUBES is going to hire Bush as DC & hire Marinelli & Barry as DL & LB coaches?

I dont think I would have a problem with this.

We already have a LB coach in Johnny Holland, I doubt we find a spot for his son-in-law. No idea if this will be a deal-breaker but hopefully Marinelli will be willing to join a staff without him.

PHAROAH
01-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Don't want Bush as defensive coordinator we need a fresh start and I wouldn't mind marinelli as defensive coordinator but i would like the Blitzing scheme from Philly.

steelbtexan
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Don't want Bush as defensive coordinator we need a fresh start and I wouldn't mind marinelli as defensive coordinator but i would like the Blitzing scheme from Philly.

agreed

IlliniJen
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Marinelli has the stench of fail all over him. I would be very disappointed if the Texans made him DC.

texanfreak
01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
He's already interviewed with the bears and seahawks. He also has fairly strong ties to those teams. But what D-Line coach would'nt love the chance to coach Mario and Amobi?

TheRealJoker
01-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Marinelli would do wonders with our defensive line. He's got Mario (Simeon Rice), Amobi (Warren Sapp), and some high energy overachiever types that would take well to his style of coaching (Deljuan Robinon and Tim Bulman). Draft BJ Raji (Booger Mcfarland) and that's one scary DL!!!

TexansLucky13
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Any person affiliated with that Super Bowl Tampa defense is on my A list.

Athlon
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
To be Honest, I think Marinelli would be a GREAT addition to the DL. He was the DL coach in Tampa with Sapp, and look how dominate there defense was those years. Got themselves a ring didn't they =)

I would like to see what he could do with the likes of mario and amobi and either a FA or draft to get at a big nasty DT/NT, that can stop our pathetic run defense in the middle, and get some pressure up the gut in passing situations.

I say to Mr. McNair Get this guy in here and lets get some work done. Nice gift for new DC with an experienced DL coach to work with and maybe get passed the 8-8 hump and into the playoffs!

That's my two cents.

This is my first post, but haven't missed a Texans game since they started.

Huge fan thick and thin. (my gut still hurts from when it got kicked, when we had the colts at home this year..)

~Zython.

p.s. Dallas Sucks! ;-)

Texans_Chick
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Crazy as this is to fathom, Smith was a DC in Miami when Nick Saban was there.

Co-defensive coordinator. For a 3-4. For one year. Where Nick Saban was in all the defensive meetings.

TEXANRED
01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Was Marinelli part of the defense that showed such talents as Sap, McFarland, and Rice?

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Was Marinelli part of the defense that showed such talents as Sap, McFarland, and Rice?

Yeah. He was the d-line coach when they won the Super Bowl.

TEXANRED
01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah. He was the d-line coach when they won the Super Bowl.

Then sign him up.

Giant Tiger
01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Then sign him up.

Seconded :d: :pirate:

Texans Pride
01-08-2009, 09:26 PM

And this is exactly what makes me feel that we are just going through the motions of interviewing DC. I believe they already know they are going to give the job to Bush. What DC would want to come in and not put his own people in place.

cuppacoffee
01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
D line coach, but that is it!!!

No way should the Texans take an 0-16 guy and make him our Defensive coordinator. The Lions had one of if not the worst defense I've ever seen in history this season with Marinelli. He is not ready to become a defensive coordinator.

I'll be ticked as anyone could be if he becomes our coordinator on defense. i'd rather have Smith back then. All of you that bashed Smith all year and would want Marinelli to take over the entire defense are crazy. The Lions never had any kind of defensive PULSE at all under this guy as head coach. He is NOT some brilliant defensive coach. Maybe he is for the D LINE BY ITSELF, but not the entire defense.

The Texans need a proven defensive coordinator right now. No reaches, no gambles, none of that fly stuff. We need a guy that has done it before and been successful.

Sounds like Romeo Crennel to me. He was lobbying for the DC job in Cleveland "if the right head coach was hired". One of the Ryans has been hired for the DC job so Romeo might be available.

Romeo was successfull in NE but I know nothing about his schemes or if he would be a fit here.

:coffee:

jshabang
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Sounds like Romeo Crennel to me. He was lobbying for the DC job in Cleveland "if the right head coach was hired". One of the Ryans has been hired for the DC job so Romeo might be available.

Romeo was successfull in NE but I know nothing about his schemes or if he would be a fit here.

:coffee:

3-4 guy

leebigeztx
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Personally, I hope they offer him the dc job and he takes it. I listened to the guy on sirius every week and he handled the whole situation with class. He's a excellent defensive and mind and eventhough the team was down, they played hard. Many will say he never called plays, but neither did del rio or tomlin. I think when you look at the talenton the defense, I think it perfect for the 1 gap scheme. Plus, since he'll never get another head coachng so that lends to stability and a stable system that the team can draft defensive players for. That 1 gap cover 2 scheme allows the texans to plug and play or everything except the de,under tackle, wlb. That's why tampa and indy can plug guys in and they play fast. Its simple and easy to learn. Top that off, you don't have to spend high fre agent money on players bthe "trainability" makes it easy.

thunderkyss
01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Imagine if Gary Kubiak was the head coach of any other team than ours, and during his last season, his offense averaged just 9 points a game. Would you consider him for your Offensive Coordinator??

Here, we have Marinelli.... who's defense gave up 24-26 points on avg for the season.

hmm...

hmm...

I can't think of a reason to hire him for anything with more responsibilty than a defensive line coach. Either he was too far removed from his defense..... which is bad, because that was the Lions biggest problem. Or, he was ineffective on the defensive side of the ball.... which again, is bad.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Marinelli, who was reached at Bush Intercontinental Airport before flying home to Detroit, did not indicate when the Texans said they would be in contact with him again.

Texans spokesman Tony Wiley declined comment.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=9642458

mexican_texan
01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Imagine if Gary Kubiak was the head coach of any other team than ours, and during his last season, his offense averaged just 9 points a game. Would you consider him for your Offensive Coordinator??

Here, we have Marinelli.... who's defense gave up 24-26 points on avg for the season.

hmm...

hmm...

I can't think of a reason to hire him for anything with more responsibilty than a defensive line coach. Either he was too far removed from his defense..... which is bad, because that was the Lions biggest problem. Or, he was ineffective on the defensive side of the ball.... which again, is bad.
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. You saw how he got the Lions to actually compete in the game against us. From 21-0 to actually tying the game. I remain firm in my belief that the Lions were not the worst team last year.

Besides, he had Ernie Sims and Cory Redding on defense with...who exactly?

Brandon420tx
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. You saw how he got the Lions to actually compete in the game against us. From 21-0 to actually tying the game. I remain firm in my belief that the Lions were not the worst team last year.

Wait wait I know this one!! ...

its coming to me...

gimme a minute...

.... :headhurts:

ooooh Leigh Bodden!!? .... ..... .... that counts right?

Polo
01-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Heard on the news he was interviewing for the D-line job...

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Sure you can. I hate this expression because excellent coaches seem to prove it wrong on yearly basis BUT in the case of Detroit you have to at least have enough chicken shit to work with.

As you said he had a couple of guys and then....nothing. We like to talk around here about how bare Capers and Casserly left the cupboard but compared to Matt Millen those guys were draft and free agency gurus.

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 08:57 AM

The Lions weren't the worst team last year? What team do you think is worse than them?

They are the only NFL team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lose all 16 regular season games.
They are 1-23 in the last 24 games they've played.
They were dead last in overall defense, giving up over 400 yards per game
They were last in rush yards allowed, giving up 170+ per game
They gave up 32 points per game, ranking last

This team quit midway through the season. They played us hard because they saw "Houston Texans" and everyone was saying this was a good chance for them to keep from going 0-16. Its the same reason they played hard against Green Bay. They even told reporters it was "our superbowl" When they played hard, the games were at least competitive. The other weeks, not so much.

"Any Given Sunday" to me means that all NFL teams have the personnel to be competitive in every game they play. The Lions may not have drafted perfectly, but they have access to the same pool of players that all other NFL players have access to.

A lot of their players were good college players. They have some good free agent acquisitions. Part of the problem was that they seemed to draft on hype, but part of the problem is that the Detroit Lions were not utilizing their players correctly and were not developing them correctly.
Kevin Smith, Calvin Johnson and Mike Furrey are all good players
Drew Stanton was talented before being drafted. Norris is decent as a blocking FB
Ernie Sims and Shaun Cody are pretty good on defense. They've got a handful of other serviceable players as well

I still believe that the vast majority of NFL players have the physical talent and football IQ to succeed in the right system with the right coach. The Detroit players aren't nearly as bad as they looked out there. They were unprepared. They were underdeveloped. They were misutilized. These are guys who are superior athletes, who succeed in college, and who suddenly lost it all?

Their horrific season last year was more than lack of talent. Marinelli gets responsibility for that debacle. He was the head coach.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he'd probably be a decent to very good DL coach. Their DL ranked in the middle of the pack last year with 30 sacks. It was one of the only non-weaknesses on the team. That being said, I would be concerned hiring this guy as a DC.

pittbull3
01-09-2009, 08:59 AM
The Lions weren't the worst team last year? What team do you think is worse than them?

They are the only NFL team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lose all 16 regular season games.

This team quit midway through the season. They played us hard because they saw "Houston Texans" and everyone was saying this was a good chance for them to keep from going 0-16. Its the same reason they played hard against Green Bay. They even told reporters it was "our superbowl" When they played hard, the games were at least competitive. The other weeks, not so much.

"Any Given Sunday" to me means that all NFL teams have the personnel to be competitive in every game they play. The Lions may not have drafted perfectly, but they have access to the same pool of players that all other NFL players have access to. Their horrific season last year was more than lack of talent. Marinelli gets responsibility for that debacle. He was the head coach

GTexan02, you a Hokie supporter?

HOU-TEX
01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=9642458

Thanks for all your research, Wolf. Awesome job!

Heard on the news he was interviewing for the D-line job...

The thing that kinda rubs me the wrong way about this, is hiring the indian before the chief. Wouldn't we want to hire the DC before any position coaches? Doesn't that make sense? :shrug:

Look at Cleveland's situation. They had a couple of talented candidates being interviewed for the GM position and as soon as Lerner hired the Mangini, they both bailed. Pioli said he didn't know Mangini so he respectfully refused.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain of a molehill here, but If it were me, I'd like to choose my own indians.

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM

The thing that kinda rubs me the wrong way about this, is hiring the indian before the chief. Wouldn't we want to hire the DC before any position coaches? Doesn't that make sense? :shrug:

Look at Cleveland's situation. They had a couple of talented candidates being interviewed for the GM position and as soon as Lerner hired the Mangini, they both bailed. Pioli said he didn't know Mangini so he respectfully refused.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain of a molehill here, but If it were me, I'd like to choose my own indians.

That's a good point but let me add something that I think should be considered. Hiring the "chief" before the Indians is great but when the owner hires a coach before a GM like Lerner did in Cleveland he's making a statement about who the "chief" is. It's him and so he was telling the GM's he was bringing in "I run the show".

Now in the case of Houston Gary Kubiak is the head coach and we're all in complete agreement (at least I think we are) that he's going to live or die as a head coach based on this series of hires. If he goes out and hires a line coach before a defensive coordinator he's telling everyone that all the coaches are accountable to him. In other words Gary Kubiak is "the chief" in this scenario and so he's going to hire the people he thinks will help him win. If a DL coach comes first then so be it, particularly if it's a DL coach with a pedigree like Marinelli.

I have less trouble with our version of events than I would with what happened in Cleveland. I see how that's all kinds of screwed up right there. Here we have a little bit different situ.

Thorn
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Maybe it's because they feel they already have the DC on staff, and can go ahead and hire the Indians.

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
GTexan02, you a Hokie supporter?

Well, not especially. Im doing my graduate work at UVa, and I put this avatar up after the shooting. I do like to watch their football team though. It seems the Kubiak/Smith have been paying attention the VA/WV area a lot recently, so I try and catch the games whenever I can

BigBull17
01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's because they feel they already have the DC on staff, and can go ahead and hire the Indians.

Maybe. We did fire everyone except Bush and Holand, so we made room to get our staff. Rhodes is a part timer, so I really wouldnt count him.

HOU-TEX
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
That's a good point but let me add something that I think should be considered. Hiring the "chief" before the Indians is great but when the owner hires a coach before a GM like Lerner did in Cleveland he's making a statement about who the "chief" is. It's him and so he was telling the GM's he was bringing in "I run the show".

Now in the case of Houston Gary Kubiak is the head coach and we're all in complete agreement (at least I think we are) that he's going to live or die as a head coach based on this series of hires. If he goes out and hires a line coach before a defensive coordinator he's telling everyone that all the coaches are accountable to him. In other words Gary Kubiak is "the chief" in this scenario and so he's going to hire the people he thinks will help him win. If a DL coach comes first then so be it, particularly if it's a DL coach with a pedigree like Marinelli.

I have less trouble with our version of events than I would with what happened in Cleveland. I see how that's all kinds of screwed up right there. Here we have a little bit different situ.

I suppose that makes sense. BUT, wouldn't there be a possibilty of having friction between the DC and position coaches if there were differing opinions on scheme? Or gameday prep for that matter?

Personally, I'd be stoked if Rod became our Dline coach. I just hope Kubiak will involve all existing and newly hired position coaches (if hired before DC) in the DC interviews. At least it would help ensure they're all on the same page.

I'm just bouncing thoughts around so feel free to ignore if I quit making sense.

Yeah, I thought about that. Good point

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2009, 09:33 AM

I generally would agree with you but I think there's a gray area here. Some mentioned that Bush really could be the next guy at DC... that's a possibility. My opinion of "if" we hire Marinelli as DL coach before we hire the DC is that it wouldn't be a huge deal. I think it'd be a bigger deal to hire, say an OC and/or DC before the Head Coach. Or hiring all the defensive assistants before the DC- that would limit what DC's would even want to interview.

With Marinelli, I compare him to Alex Gibbs. It'd be like if Kubiak were to hire Gibbs to work on his OL before hiring an OC. Marinelli sounds like a guy that's extremely respected around the league with respect to his DL knowledge and coaching skills. As far as I know, if a new DC is hired, he may still want to get rid of Rhodes or Holland, etc.

If I were Kubiak and I just hired one of the most respected DL coaches in the entire league that has a proven track record of that DL success... and a guy interviewing says he doesn't want to work with him, or I want my own guy, I'd be kind of skeptical. It's not like the Giants' (or eagles) DL coach is going to make a lateral move over to DL coach of the Texans. It'd be most likely hiring an unproven assistant, giving him a promotion to that job.

Polo
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
In the Chronicle Kubes basically said that he believes Marinelli could be to the D-line what Gibbs has been to the O-line.

BigBull17
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
In the Chronicle Kubes basically said that he believes Marinelli could be to the D-line what Gibbs has been to the O-line.

Look at the line play Tampa had. Freakin unreal. With one more lineman and Marinelli doing for MArio and Okoye what he did fro Rice and Sapp, watch out.

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I was on the phone last night with Double Barrel and we began talking about the defensive line and the possibility of getting a guy like Marinelli to coach them and frankly I think we've got a set of players who someone like Rod Marinelli would be totally juiced to get to coach. Mario is obvious and we've seen enough out of Amobi to almost all wonder if he's just proper coaching away from being the player we all hoped he'd be. Now consider another guy on our line who most of us (myself included) have long ago written off as a bust. What effect if any could a top flight DL coach have on Travis Johnson?

We know what TJ has been but keep in mind that this guy had one 2-14 season in the 3-4 under Vic Fangio & Co. and then the rest of his career has been spent being coached by Richard Smith and his assistants. He's spent the majority of his career in this scheme that we're all banking was complete garbage. If we're all right (and that includes Kubiak and the Texans) then could Marinelli motivate TJ?

I'm not so sure but I'm not prepared to say it's impossible.

beerlover
01-09-2009, 09:48 AM

would love to get Marinelli. excellent track record coaching D-line, will evaluate best situation, meaning if Texans want him & he wants the Texans its the best situation available to show the league his ability to lead a turnaround given the talent & winning organization around him

mexican_texan
01-09-2009, 09:48 AM

"Any Given Sunday" to me means that all NFL teams have the personnel to be competitive in every game they play. The Lions may not have drafted perfectly, but they have access to the same pool of players that all other NFL players have access to.

A lot of their players were good college players. They have some good free agent acquisitions. Part of the problem was that they seemed to draft on hype, but part of the problem is that the Detroit Lions were not utilizing their players correctly and were not developing them correctly.
Kevin Smith, Calvin Johnson and Mike Furrey are all good players
Drew Stanton was talented before being drafted. Norris is decent as a blocking FB
Ernie Sims and Shaun Cody are pretty good on defense. They've got a handful of other serviceable players as well

I still believe that the vast majority of NFL players have the physical talent and football IQ to succeed in the right system with the right coach. The Detroit players aren't nearly as bad as they looked out there. They were unprepared. They were underdeveloped. They were misutilized. These are guys who are superior athletes, who succeed in college, and who suddenly lost it all?

Their horrific season last year was more than lack of talent. Marinelli gets responsibility for that debacle. He was the head coach.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he'd probably be a decent to very good DL coach. Their DL ranked in the middle of the pack last year with 30 sacks. It was one of the only non-weaknesses on the team. That being said, I would be concerned hiring this guy as a DC.
In a head to head, the Lions beat the Browns and Rams.

Wolf
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
We might have helped our cause just a bit. If he was looking for a DC position.. Seattle was a place that was interviewing him for DC.

well I haven't seen the official signing yet
I know the Seattle Seahawks just hired Casey Bradley as their new defensive coordinator.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-93/

So we now have confirmation that the Bears have not offered former Lions coach Rod Marinelli a contract.

We know he has spoken to Seattle Seahawks about their defensive coordinator job and per this article he has just spoken to the Houston Texans about the same spot.

I'd have to guess that after the Bears and Marinelli spoke, he told them he was still had a few interviews for the higher position, if he doesn't get those he'll come back to us.

I don't know if that is a common techinque if it is what we are doing, but JA and Lovie seem to march to a different beat and are okay with the wait and see approach.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/1/9/715224/no-contract-for-marinelli

The1ApplePie
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
As bored as I am to death of the Tampa-2, it would be better than the random crap scheme we have now.

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM

Thing is even as the DC you are already an indian. This is like the two guys on the playground picking teams. You may be the first guy picked on team A, but that doesn't mean you get input on the second pick. Kubiak reportedly didn't hire Gray the first go around because he insisted on picking his staff and obviously Kubiak wants some control. I can see both methods of going about things, but can't see that one is obviously better than the other and in the end Kubiak's butt is on the line.

How can Pioli say he didn't know Mangini?--he worked with him in NE.

beerlover
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
what if they already know who the DC is? what if that DC says go get him?

HOU-TEX
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Thing is even as the DC you are already an indian. This is like the two guys on the playground picking teams. You may be the first guy picked on team A, but that doesn't mean you get input on the second pick. Kubiak reportedly didn't hire Gray the first go around because he insisted on picking his staff and obviously Kubiak wants some control. I can see both methods of going about things, but can't see that one is obviously better than the other and in the end Kubiak's butt is on the line.

How can Pioli say he didn't know Mangini?--he worked with him in NE.

I'm sorry, It was Heckert who said it.

Heckert told the Browns he is canceling the interview that was scheduled for Friday because he doesn’t know Mangini and would not be entirely comfortable with the situation in Cleveland the way that it is.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

scourge
01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
As bored as I am to death of the Tampa-2, it would be better than the random crap scheme we have now.

exactly how I feel.

Specnatz
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Sorry but that is bullcrap. The Lions played the Colts harder and closer than they did us. By your logic shouldn't they have saw them and just layed down. After reading Steph's blog in the chronicle with Kerry from 'Cold, Hard Football Facts' I understand why the Lions lost every game. After Jon Kitna went down they had no viable QB. Again I said after Kitna went down the had no real QB, as if he is a real QB. He is a good backup but he is not the guy to lead your team to a superbowl unless you have a Ravens type D.

I would like to be able to find the time of possession stats but I could not. Although, I would safely say that the Lions D was on the field far more than that pathetic offense.

Brandon420tx
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I wonder if he'd bring in Shaun Cody to play NT... or is he more of a UT. *has no idea*

Rozelle
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Sorry but that is bullcrap. The Lions played the Colts harder and closer than they did us. By your logic shouldn't they have saw them and just layed down. After reading Steph's blog in the chronicle with Kerry from 'Cold, Hard Football Facts' I understand why the Lions lost every game. After Jon Kitna went down they had no viable QB. Again I said after Kitna went down the had no real QB, as if he is a real QB. He is a good backup but he is not the guy to lead your team to a superbowl unless you have a Ravens type D.

I would like to be able to find the time of possession stats but I could not. Although, I would safely say that the Lions D was on the field far more than that pathetic offense.

Not sure where to find TOP either. I track something called Tackle Ops and Tackle Ops Allowed. Tackle Ops is how many times a game the defense has an opportunity to make a tackle and Tackle Ops allowed is how many times the offense had a play which could result in a Tackle. This should correlate fairly closely with TOP. In general, the higher ranked you are with tackle ops, the more time your defense was on the field.

Detroit ranked 1st in Tackles Ops and 31st in Tackle Ops allowed. So their defense had more tackle opportunities than anyone and their offense allowed less tackle opportunities than all but one team (Seattle). Safe bet they ranked at or near the bottom in TOP

Just in case you were wondering… Houston ranked 22nd in Tackle Ops and sixth in Tackle Ops allowed.

El Tejano
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I was on the phone last night with Double Barrel and we began talking about the defensive line and the possibility of getting a guy like Marinelli to coach them and frankly I think we've got a set of players who someone like Rod Marinelli would be totally juiced to get to coach. Mario is obvious and we've seen enough out of Amobi to almost all wonder if he's just proper coaching away from being the player we all hoped he'd be. Now consider another guy on our line who most of us (myself included) have long ago written off as a bust. What effect if any could a top flight DL coach have on Travis Johnson?

We know what TJ has been but keep in mind that this guy had one 2-14 season in the 3-4 under Vic Fangio & Co. and then the rest of his career has been spent being coached by Richard Smith and his assistants. He's spent the majority of his career in this scheme that we're all banking was complete garbage. If we're all right (and that includes Kubiak and the Texans) then could Marinelli motivate TJ?

I'm not so sure but I'm not prepared to say it's impossible.

I'm wondering what a guy like Marinelli can do with a player like DelJuan Robinson. With DelJuan you are talking about a guy that's had to prove himself his whole career and has shown he can play under Richard Smith's defense.

I'm not sure a DL coach is the reason anyways. I mean, when he first got here weren't we talking about Franklin being this great DL coach too?

RipTraxx
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm wondering what a guy like Marinelli can do with a player like DelJuan Robinson. With DelJuan you are talking about a guy that's had to prove himself his whole career and has shown he can play under Richard Smith's defense.

I'm not sure a DL coach is the reason anyways. I mean, when he first got here weren't we talking about Franklin being this great DL coach too?

He wasnt out of work for long...he's now the DLine coach at USC.

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I would like to be able to find the time of possession stats but I could not.

Here you go--Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STAT S&archive=false&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=TIME_OF_POSS_SECONDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1&season=2008&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1)

Texans O TOP - 32:04 for 5th
Lions O TOP - 26:59 for 31st

By the way, tidbit by the commentators during the Bears game. The Texans led the league with 27 drives lasting over 5 minutes. Imagine what that would have been and the TOP would have been if the INT's had just been cut in half.

Texecutioner
01-09-2009, 11:46 AM

The defense was easily worse. You must not have watched any Lions games. The Lions D would put the offense in a hole early on just about every game forcing them to pass. And you're obviously forgetting that the Lions had to roll with 3 QB's this season that were awful. Each one of them. Plus, Marinelli was really dumb at the beginning of the season by holding back on playing Kevin Smith who was really good. They went out and got a banged up Rudi Johnson and made him the starter which was hurting the team and the offense played much better down the stretch when they finally got a running game because they finally started playing Kevin Smith and getting him a lot more carries. And they had no idea how to get the ball to Calvin Johnson even. Johnson had good numbers but that is just because of what a freak he was.

The defense never showed life on that team, and they never improved.

The funny thing that so many of you Marinelli apologists keep shoving out there is that his team never quit and he kept trying. Well for one his team quit in plenty of games. ANd for two even if that were true that they played with a ton of heart, what difference does it really make in the end when it never was good enough to get a win any way. Marinelli obviously couldn't ever come up with good enough game plans to start off in games, nor could he ever make the right adjustments throughout games. So you guys can make the false claim all you want that his team didn't quit and that they played hard, but they still sucked over all as a team no matter if they played hard or not. Nothing Marinelli tried or attempted ever worked well enough against any team. There is nothing that suggests that he is cut out to be a defensive coordinator right now.

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 12:12 PM
"Marinelli apologists"?
"nothing that suggests that he is cut out to be a defensive coordinator right now"?

Rod Marinelli has proven that he's not cut out to be a head coach. Out of curiosity has anyone proven that they are cut out to be a head coach in Detroit in my lifetime? Beyond that I have a real hard time accepting that anyone can look at this past season (or his entire tenure in Detroit) and say that he's not cut out to be a defensive coordinator. All he's proven is that he couldn't turn a crappy Detroit Lions team into an even decent Detroit Lions team. Welcome to the club.

On top of that it's a moot point because he's stated that his focus is on getting back to his roots and coaching a defensive line. This is something he excels at and we would be hard pressed to find a better coach to get our DL back on track.

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry but that is bullcrap. The Lions played the Colts harder and closer than they did us. By your logic shouldn't they have saw them and just layed down.

So that one example proves your point I guess? That they played the Colts hard? Maybe the Colts were playing down and the Lions knew they had a shot? Maybe the Lions didn't want to be the first NFL team to go 0-13 or 14 or whatever it was.

What about the egg they laid to a crappy NO team?

Did you watch the Thanksgiving game? They gave up that game at halftime.

Whether they were "trying" or not trying, the result was the same. 0-16. You have to be downright awful to accomplish that record. I have seen too many NFL programs make a 180 from bottom to top to believe that every player on the Detroit roster was garbage and that was the problem. I just don't understand why anyone would be excited to give a guy who just finished 0-16 with one of the worst defenses of all time a defensive coordinator position

Polo
01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
What about the egg they laid to a crappy NO team?

Just to be fair...

We lost to Oakland...

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
"Marinelli apologists"?
"nothing that suggests that he is cut out to be a defensive coordinator right now"?

Rod Marinelli has proven that he's not cut out to be a head coach. Out of curiosity has anyone proven that they are cut out to be a head coach in Detroit in my lifetime? Beyond that I have a real hard time accepting that anyone can look at this past season (or his entire tenure in Detroit) and say that he's not cut out to be a defensive coordinator. All he's proven is that he couldn't turn a crappy Detroit Lions team into an even decent Detroit Lions team. Welcome to the club.

On top of that it's a moot point because he's stated that his focus is on getting back to his roots and coaching a defensive line. This is something he excels at and we would be hard pressed to find a better coach to get our DL back on track.

Theres a difference between failing as a head coach and coaching a to 22 losses in 23 games or whatever it was. The Lions have NFL players. Some of these guys were good in college, some were good on other NFL teams, and some were even good a year or two ago. I don't see why people are so hesitant to assign any blame to the head coach. Sure, even with the best coach in football, the Lions were never going to contend for the SuperBowl. But this is basically an upgraded version of a team that went 6-2 throughout the first 8 games last year. Then they hit a downward spiral that hasn't stopped.

They've drafted poorly---but ONLY in retrospect. A lot of players they selected looked like great NFL possibilities. That tells me they are misutilizing, misscouting, or not coaching their players properly

Specnatz
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Here you go--Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STAT S&archive=false&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=TIME_OF_POSS_SECONDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1&season=2008&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1)

Texans O TOP - 32:04 for 5th
Lions O TOP - 26:59 for 31st

By the way, tidbit by the commentators during the Bears game. The Texans led the league with 27 drives lasting over 5 minutes. Imagine what that would have been and the TOP would have been if the INT's had just been cut in half.

Holy crap I did not know that was on there in the stats on NFL.com.

If the offense can not stay on the field the defense is screwed, something us Texans know a lot about.

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Just to be fair...

We lost to Oakland...

Exactly. And who was that on? The players or the coach?

Our players were just as talented in that game as they were in the Tennessee game. We came out flat, we came out without a solid gameplan, we got beat. Since he is the head coach, I think its fair to blame Kubiak for either not preparing the team well enough or not getting them mentally ready to play.

Rod Marinelli has shown he is an excellent Defensive Line coach. That is the only thing he has proven in his NFL career so far. He was promoted to Head Coach, and failed miserably. Whether it was the Lions managements fault, the players fault, or his fault the result is the same. Hiring him as a defensive coordinator would be akin to a net promotion for him in the long run. He's still moving up from defensive line coach. He's still being put into a position where we don't know whether he will succeed or not.

Our team is close enough that I don't want a guy coming off of 0-16 season coaching our defense. We've talked about having a winning attitude in Houston, and I just don't see how hiring the coach that set an NFL record for losses is going to accomplish that.

He's a great DL coach. Lets hire him for that and bring in a proven winner for the DC spot

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Holy crap I did not know that was on there in the stats on NFL.com.

If the offense can not stay on the field the defense is screwed, something us Texans know a lot about.

Wow, imagine how crappy our D would have been if they weren't kept off the field by our offense

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Theres a difference between failing as a head coach and coaching a to 22 losses in 23 games or whatever it was. The Lions have NFL players. Some of these guys were good in college, some were good on other NFL teams, and some were even good a year or two ago. I don't see why people are so hesitant to assign any blame to the head coach. Sure, even with the best coach in football, the Lions were never going to contend for the SuperBowl. But this is basically an upgraded version of a team that went 6-2 throughout the first 8 games last year. Then they hit a downward spiral that hasn't stopped.

They've drafted poorly---but ONLY in retrospect. A lot of players they selected looked like great NFL possibilities. That tells me they are misutilizing, misscouting, or not coaching their players properly

Which is all true but doesn't mean a thing insofar as his suitability for either the DL coach or DC positions. He's proven that he's failed as a Head Coach. He did it in Detroit and so people should pay attention to what the next guy there and the previous guy there did to try and put his job performance in perspective but it has nothing to do with hiring him here for a role on our staff.

We're not trying to bring him in to be our head coach. We're talking to him about being a position coach where he's had great success for a decade. His tenure in Detroit and the 0-16 season is clouding a lot of peoples minds as to what kind of an asset he'd be to us.

If we did bring him to be the DC I can't imagine anyone more motivated to shake the taint of that 0-16 season than Marinelli but like I said he's trying to be a DL coach so it's a no-brainer IMO.

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Exactly. And who was that on? The players or the coach?

Yes

Wolf
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Has anyone heard of "The Peter Principle"?

I am thinking he could have been a product of that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Wolf
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
should know something soon. however it goes

It was the third stop for the ex-Detroit Lions coach on a tour that started at Halas Hall on Jan. 2. Marinelli interviewed in Seattle for the defensive coordinator position there, and from the sounds of things, Marinelli could pick his place of employment soon.

"We'll wait a few days and see how things work out,'' Marinelli told McClain.

Obviously, there are more teams out there reshuffling defensive staffs, New Orleans and Green Bay to name two. Unless Marinelli has more trips in the works, the teams involved will probably want an answer from him before the Senior Bowl, which kicks off a week from Monday. That's a crazy few days of coaches looking for work, an informal coaching convention, if you will.

Stay tuned.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/marinelli_well_wait_a_few_days.html

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Not sure where to find TOP either. I track something called Tackle Ops and Tackle Ops Allowed. Tackle Ops is how many times a game the defense has an opportunity to make a tackle and Tackle Ops allowed is how many times the offense had a play which could result in a Tackle. This should correlate fairly closely with TOP. In general, the higher ranked you are with tackle ops, the more time your defense was on the field.

Detroit ranked 1st in Tackles Ops and 31st in Tackle Ops allowed. So their defense had more tackle opportunities than anyone and their offense allowed less tackle opportunities than all but one team (Seattle). Safe bet they ranked at or near the bottom in TOP

Just in case you were wondering… Houston ranked 22nd in Tackle Ops and sixth in Tackle Ops allowed.

TOP? NFL.com.

The lowest teams on TOP were the Raiders (28:31), Chiefs (28:04), Browns (27:33), Lions (26:59), and Seahawks (26:38).

The top teams on TOP were the Texans (32:04), Buccs (32:14), Patriots (32:25), Giants (33:19), and Ravens (33:23).

Texan JBZ
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I just saw on the ESPN Bottomline that the Texans want Marinelli as the d-line coach only and not the DC. Good news. The team needs to make more of a splash at DC than Marinelli, but he is a hell of a d-line coach.

leebigeztx
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Cam Cameron went 1-15 and I still regarded as a really good oc. Siefert went 1-15, yet he has 2 sb rings. I'm not saying Marinelli doesn't deserve some blame, but just because a guy didnthave success as a hc, doesn't mean he can't be a good dc. I like him as a line coach, but he can be the dc, that specializes in the d-line. The dc has to have all the working parts working together.

I like jerry gray, but if gray is going to be the dc or mcdermott, they have different phhlosophies about how the d-line react with the lb, who react with the db. It have to be 1 thought,1 plan, 1 idea. You can't have d-line 1 gapping, the lbs read and react, and the db's playing off. The philly/giants scheme uses fire zones and snatch blitzes. How many times have you seen freeney and mathis engage then drop? Well under jim johnson, they do a lot of that. They're olb's are also "jokers". Those jokers are guys who were de's in college that arenow stand up olb. When the fire zones blitz happen, the olb rushes and the tackle or end drop in the curl route area. That's what I'm saying is that u can't have 2 different philsophies for a unit.

False Start
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I really hope we can land Marinelli, that would really establish this coaching staff. Having Ray Rhodes, Alex Gibbs, and Rod Marinelli on your staff is strong. I think it would help the team's chances of establishing themselves as a legit franchise and help attract better free agents.

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Cam Cameron went 1-15 and I still regarded as a really good oc. Siefert went 1-15, yet he has 2 sb rings. I'm not saying Marinelli doesn't deserve some blame, but just because a guy didnthave success as a hc, doesn't mean he can't be a good dc. I like him as a line coach, but he can be the dc, that specializes in the d-line. The dc has to have all the working parts working together.

Not to belabor the point, but Cameron was a great OC, then a bad HC, then back to a great OC.

Marinelli was a great DL coach, then a bad HC, so the logical progression would be for him to return to being a great DL coach. We don't know how he'd be at the DC level.

It seems like we all basically agree that we would be Super Psyked to get him as our DL coach. No one is really debating this, even thought it seems like we are!

Hooston Texan
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM

When a teams uses a top 10 pick on a luxury position like WR four times in five years, you bet they have drafted poorly! And, snarky post-draft columns aside, no draft can truly be judged one way or another until years later. So to say that the Lions drafted poorly "only in retrospect" is to say nothing that you cannot say about every team's draft every year. Weren't we the laughinstock of the NFL on Draft Day 2006?

gtexan02
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
When a teams uses a top 10 pick on a luxury position like WR four times in five years, you bet they have drafted poorly! And, snarky post-draft columns aside, no draft can truly be judged one way or another until years later. So to say that the Lions drafted poorly "only in retrospect" is to say nothing that you cannot say about every team's draft every year. Weren't we the laughinstock of the NFL on Draft Day 2006?

I'm not an NFL scout, so I have no idea if the players the Lions drafted were as good as they were hyped to be. All I can go off of is the media and what I knew of the players during their college careers.

I distinctly remember the Lions seeming to have great drafts year after year. Sure, it seemed strange to pick WRs with your early #1 year after year, but they did end up with 2 potential pro-bowl standouts in CJ and R. Williams.

The point I was trying to make is that I think the Lions picked good players, they just mis-used them and didn't coach them well.

Check this website. Its perfect. They compare grades given to the draft on the day they were given and then looking back.

In 05, the Lions received an A+. Looking back, they get an F
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2005Gnfc.php

I feel like they've had that happen for years. They have good, balanced drafts that the media says "Great job" to, and then 5 years later, they get a big "WTF were you thinking?" Now, remember, this is the MEDIA who is doing the grading. I have no idea if any of them are scouts or if any of the info coming out of this stuff is from scouts.

Old School
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I just saw on the ESPN Bottomline that the Texans want Marinelli as the d-line coach only and not the DC. Good news. The team needs to make more of a splash at DC than Marinelli, but he is a hell of a d-line coach.
If and I mean IF they sign Marinelli as a DL coach, wouldn't that hamstring them trying to find a good DC? Most of them will want to bring in their own guys.

Thorn
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
In 05, the Lions received an A+. Looking back, they get an F
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2005Gnfc.php

Interesting site. I read the reviews on the old Texan Casserly drafts, and this site seems to hate those drafts even more than we do. LOL

TexanSam
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
If the Texans are interviewing coaches for specific positions before getting a defensive coordinator, then it seems like Frank Bush is the likely candidate for the job

Specnatz
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
If the Texans are interviewing coaches for specific positions before getting a defensive coordinator, then it seems like Frank Bush is the likely candidate for the job

Not necessarily, Marinelli is highly regarded as a DL coach and his style will fit what ever a DC wants to do, if it was a secondary coach then I would agree with you.

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Remember Kubiak didn't hire one DC the first go around because the DC wanted control of the staff. Kubiak isn't going to just blindly hand the keys to a DC and he may believe Marinelli is a DL coach that is too good to pass up.

IlliniJen
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Remember Kubiak didn't hire one DC the first go around because the DC wanted control of the staff. Kubiak isn't going to just blindly hand the keys to a DC and he may believe Marinelli is a DL coach that is too good to pass up.

LZ had an interesting theory this morning that if Marinelli is hired as the DL coach, then Bush will be the DC. He also mentioned another Gibbs (?) and said the Texans will get 2 out of their 3 choices.

GP
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
To echo someone else who posted this earlier:

ESPN's ticker running across the bottom of the screen says the Texans interviewed him for the DEFENSIVE LINE coaching position.

:smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
LZ had an interesting theory this morning that if Marinelli is hired as the DL coach, then Bush will be the DC. He also mentioned another Gibbs (?) and said the Texans will get 2 out of their 3 choices.

Originally Posted by LZ
I just knocked out a quick hit blog entry on my thoughts on the firings and who I think will replace the coaches.

I was surprised by John Hoke's firing but I'm fairly certain I know who his replacement will be. Once you read the entry, you'll probably agree.

Richard Smith got whacked because Gary Kubiak wanted things to get better. Truth be told, I think Smith had to go. The fact that Frank Bush is already on the staff made it an easier decision in all likelihood.

As for Jethro, I was surprised he was let go too, but since he coaches a position with a ton of money invested in it, it isn't entirely surprising to see him gone. The Texans may have someone already in mind for his position as well.

Here is my blog entry (http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/12/post_73.html#more). They just put it up.

Read his blog from the link above

LZ started a thread before Marinelli : Quick hitter on firings and I'll bet I know who the replacements are (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57396)

Also KT posted a Bio for Gibbs:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro

David Gibbs enters his third campaign as the Chiefs defensive backs coach in 2008. He owns six seasons of experience coaching in the AFC West after enjoying a four-year stint with Denver (2001-04). He joined Kansas City after serving as the defensive coordinator/secondary coach at Auburn in 2005.
Under Gibbs’ leadership a year ago, the Chiefs ranked fifth in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 188.9 yards per game. Kansas City permitted 17 TD passes in 2007, a mark that tied for fourth in the NFL and was the club’s lowest total since ‘98. Gibbs was instrumental in the development of second-year safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard, who both became full-time starters in 2007.

In his first season with the Chiefs, Gibbs led a Chiefs secondary that allowed only 208.4 passing yards per game in 2006. Kansas City also limited opponents to only 45 completions of 20+ yards as the Chiefs relinquished just one 300-yard passer.

Under his direction in 2005, the Auburn defense permitted 15.5 points per game to rank sixth in the NCAA. His squad also led the SEC with 39.0 sacks. The Tigers tied for second in the NCAA by allowing only eight touchdown passes on the season and 199.0 passing yards per game.

Prior to joining Auburn, Gibbs spent four seasons coaching the defensive backfield for the Broncos in his first NFL coaching stop. In his second season overseeing the enitre Denver secondary in 2003, the Broncos ranked fourth in the league in total defense, limiting opponents to 277.1 yards per game. Gibbs implemented a pair of first-year starters that season as Denver finished sixth in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 176.8 yards per game.

Gibbs spent 10 years at the collegiate level before entering the NFL ranks, including four seasons as the defensive coordinator/secondary coach at the University of Minnesota. In ‘97 he became the youngest defensive coordinator in NCAA Division I-A when the Gophers hired him to lead their defense. He oversaw a dramatic turnaround of a defensive unit that ranked last in the Big Ten prior to his arrival, but improved to fourth in total defense by ‘99. Minnesota led the Big Ten in pass defense (179.4) and ranked second in pass defense efficiency (98.3) and scoring defense (16.3), each figure ranking eighth in the nation that season.

Link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/david_gibbs/)

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
To echo someone else who posted this earlier:

ESPN's ticker running across the bottom of the screen says the Texans interviewed him for the DEFENSIVE LINE coaching position.

:smiliedance:

myguess is that he would have some title like Alex Gibbs on the other side of the ball such as Asst. head coach/Defensive Line

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
If and I mean IF they sign Marinelli as a DL coach, wouldn't that hamstring them trying to find a good DC? Most of them will want to bring in their own guys.

No. As I said earlier the Texans are saying that Gary Kubiak is bringing in the guys he wants and that includes the DC. I'm not certain but I don't believe we've ever been particularly enamored with the idea that the coordinator gets to hire his own staff. We passed on guys who insisted on that last time around and I can't see any good reason to change our position on that, particularly over a hire like Rod Marinelli on DL. The defensive coordinator who thinks he's going to bring in a pal and do better than that isn't (more than likely) the guy you want to begin with.

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Going back to the idea that we're looking at a possible Frank Bush defensive "regime" I want to say something. I've been very nervous about this possibility because Frank Bush seems like another guy who hasn't done this before and is technically a holdover from Richard Smith's run in the DC spot (even though he was added by Kubiak after the fact).

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a younger "first time" DC with a guy like Marinelli coaching the DL and a guy like Ray Rhodes helping to coach the secondary. This would be much like the approach he's taken with the offense where he's given Shanahan support in the form of Mike Sherman, then Alex Gibbs and to some extent himself up until now. He's made a point of going younger but giving them quality experienced mentors and on the offense at least it seems to be getting us results. If he's doing this on the defense I can't really get all upset about that. I'd like to see what happens. Over the last three years he seems to have tried to give Richard Smith that kind of help (Rhodes for instance) but it didn't seem to translate into results with Smith. I believe that had more to do with Richard Smith than the help he was given. His idea of a "scheme" simply wasn't sound and so, much like David Carr he was sent packing because Kubiak determined that he was never going to "get it".

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't see Frank Bush as a holdover from the Smith era at all. Bush was a guy Kubiak originally wanted but couldn't have. I see it as Kubiak finally having a chance to add a guy to his staff that he likes and respects and found a place for him, even though he had already hired a DC. I think Kubiak is a guy that wants to surround himself, his staff and his players with guys he really likes/respects. Just because they don't the "the job he/they wanted" right away doesn't mean its the end of the world. Smith is a 3rd party to the Bush/Kubiak relationship. At least that's from my eyes that are not located on Kirby Dr. :)

I think it's great that so many guys respect Kubiak. See Gibbs and Rhodes wanting to come work here. If we can get another guy like them with Marinelli as DL coach, we could really be building a winner here in Houston. I like the idea as Hervoyel said of having some "veteran" coaches that are respected and have proven results helping some 'younger' coaches out + developing our young talent.

Texecutioner
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Could someone please tell me why everyone in here thinks that Bush would be such a great candidate in the first place? Is it just because he already has worked with the Texans or something?

I mean there isn't a team in the NFL that is considering this guy other than the Texans, so why are so many people in here so HIGH on Bush?

GP
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Could someone please tell me why everyone in here thinks that Bush would be such a great candidate in the first place? Is it just because he already has worked with the Texans or something?

I mean there isn't a team in the NFL that is considering this guy other than the Texans, so why are so many people in here so HIGH on Bush?

I think it's because there's confirmation (by a poster on THIS board) that Richard Smith was told at some point this season that certain defensive stuff couldn't even be a part of the gameday playcalling...in short: Smith was handcuffed. IMO, his bend-but-don't-break philosophy got broken.

Bush was under contract with Arizona, he was a part of the Dennis Green staff at the time Kubiak hired Richard Smith, and once Dennis Green was booted...we picked up Frank Bush. He was wanted earlier, but was under contract.

So there's a theory that Frank Bush had a lot to do with the aggressive nature of the defense this year.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it's because there's confirmation (by a poster on THIS board) that Richard Smith was told at some point this season that certain defensive stuff couldn't even be a part of the gameday playcalling...in short: Smith was handcuffed. IMO, his bend-but-don't-break philosophy got broken.

Bush was under contract with Arizona, he was a part of the Dennis Green staff at the time Kubiak hired Richard Smith, and once Dennis Green was booted...we picked up Frank Bush. He was wanted earlier, but was under contract.

So there's a theory that Frank Bush had a lot to do with the aggressive nature of the defense this year.

My theory with the aggression of the defense as the year progressed is this:

1. The Texans played some suckier offenses down the stretch
2. Young defense not used to playing together tends to get better when they play together longer
3. DeMeco getting healthier near the end, and less Morlon Greenwood for stretches.
4. Aggression, Shmaggression. The defensive improvement down the stretch was not great defense but playing less sorry defense. Watching this playoffs makes me pine for good defensive play.

Hervoyel
01-09-2009, 08:04 PM

You leap to a lot of conclusions and I have trouble following the path you take sometimes. I don't see a lot of people (much less "everyone") talking about how great a candidate Bush is. I see a lot of concern that he's just as unproven as Richard Smith was when he got the job by default and I see a lot of people worried that he'll be little better.

You have no idea what other teams think of Frank Bush. The staff in Arizona at the time we tried to hire him thought enough of him to refuse to let us interview him. Maybe somebody is thinking about asking the Texans for permission to interview him. Maybe nobody is. I have no idea and neither does anyone else in here.

What little enthusiasm I see about Bush comes from the area of people slowly accepting that he's got a shot at being the DC and the idea that the Texans might be interviewing position coaches because they may already think they have their DC (Bush). It's people slowly accepting what appears likely and trying to find the silver lining in it. That silver lining is that if it is going to be Frank Bush then Kubiak appears to be trying to surround him with great people to coach with him and help him out.

GP
01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
My theory with the aggression of the defense as the year progressed is this:

1. The Texans played some suckier offenses down the stretch
2. Young defense not used to playing together tends to get better when they play together longer
3. DeMeco getting healthier near the end, and less Morlon Greenwood for stretches.
4. Aggression, Shmaggression. The defensive improvement down the stretch was not great defense but playing less sorry defense. Watching this playoffs makes me pine for good defensive play.

1. That does not explain the Oakland game. Nor frigid temps at Lambeau, despite the Pack not being as competitive as normal

2. But the pattern is the same: 1st half of season, we have a young defense. The second half of the season we have a veteran defense "gelling" then repeat the cycle two more season

3. Agree with you on the LB situation

4. I never said it was "great" defense. It was definitely "different," and definitely "better," though.

Look, it's telling that Bush was brought in after the Cardinals job went kaput. It's telling that a board member here had a conversation with Bush and the result was that Kubiak and Bush handcuffed Smith at a certain point in the season. The Oakland game, IMO, was Richard's last hurrah. It was his chance to say his last words and smoke that cigarette. And it sealed the deal, especially when we come back and knock off the Bears who had a playoff spot to play for.

It's not "great" defense, by no stretch of the imagination, but it was certainly different. Why in the world does Bush throw his own name in there, when talking to one of our members here, when talking about "Kubiak and I restricted what he could/couldn't do"?

rarazz00
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I believe Marinelli's ego got crushed in Detroit and where ever he goes he'll be a D-Line coach(his comfort zone). The front runner is Chicago, because of Lovie Smith...I honestly think that he would want to get his confidence back and go w/ a team that has some good starting pieces. WE have that...Now will Bob McNair pay him the salary he deserves as a D-Line Coach? Rod Marinelli is to the D-Line what Alex Gibbs is to the ZBS. Alex Gibbs O-line; Rod Marinelli D-Line....Man I like the sound of that. Alex Gibbs and Kyle Shannahan seem to gel...could Bush and Marinelli do the same? :fans:

AnthonyE
01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Interesting site. I read the reviews on the old Texan Casserly drafts, and this site seems to hate those drafts even more than we do. LOL

I would like to see the 2006 draft regraded. He gave us a C to start out with, and bumped it up to a B a year later. I'm sure it would be at least an A by now, if not an A+.

beerlover
01-10-2009, 02:49 AM
If Rod Marinelli reaches contract agreement with the Texans we will be blessed :specnatz:

Wolf
01-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Unless there is another stop on the Rod Marinelli NFL Tour, he will be choosing between the Bears and Houston Texans at any time.

Word out of Seattle is that Marinelli is no longer in consideration for the defensive coordinator position with the Seahawks. The National Football Post reported Thursday that Jim Mora had hired Casey "Gus'' Bradley for the job, although no official word has come on that. However, it's at least in line with what we're hearing from the Emerald City, that Marinelli is no longer in the works there.

That means it could come down to the Texans and deep-pocketed owner Bob McNair and the Bears, where Marinelli has personal ties with several people, most importantly head coach Lovie Smith.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/barring_another_visit_marinell.html

bckey
01-10-2009, 06:06 AM

How many on here have said that already

Señor Stan
01-10-2009, 07:06 AM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/barring_another_visit_marinell.html

That means it could come down to the Texans and deep-pocketed owner Bob McNair ...

If Bob McNair has deep pockets, then he must have really short fingers.

Best Regards,

GP

GP
01-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Best Regards,

GP

Hey now!

I have been consistent in my thoughts on Bob.

And I have also said that "MAYBE" he is learning that he has to pay to play. I think he started off this little franchise with the attitude that he didn't have to spend a lot to get a lot.

I think the success he's had with Kubiak, especially the Kubiak decision to cut Carr loose after only one year into the reclamation project, has afforded Kubiak the ability to go in with Rick Smith and (a) ask for Alex Gibbs, which then has made (b) it possible to ask for more upgrades such as Marinelli at DL.

Kubiak, while not exactly being the instant hit that I and others were expecting, might be the best HC for an owner like McNair: He's built a level of trust with McNair, over time, that permits him to get Bob a little more in line with what's needed on the sidelines and in the booth upstairs.

McNair might be stretching those fingers, finally.

False Start
01-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Best Regards,

GP

Hey now! Watch it............

Sincerely,

Drayton McLane

Specnatz
01-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey now!

I have been consistent in my thoughts on Bob.

And I have also said that "MAYBE" he is learning that he has to pay to play. I think he started off this little franchise with the attitude that he didn't have to spend a lot to get a lot.

I think the success he's had with Kubiak, especially the Kubiak decision to cut Carr loose after only one year into the reclamation project, has afforded Kubiak the ability to go in with Rick Smith and (a) ask for Alex Gibbs, which then has made (b) it possible to ask for more upgrades such as Marinelli at DL.

Kubiak, while not exactly being the instant hit that I and others were expecting, might be the best HC for an owner like McNair: He's built a level of trust with McNair, over time, that permits him to get Bob a little more in line with what's needed on the sidelines and in the booth upstairs.

McNair might be stretching those fingers, finally.

Yes you have been consistent, consistently wrong. McNair has spent money on what ever the GM has asked him to spend it on. Of course when you have Casserly spending it, it defeats that purpose.

pappy
01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
pft reports that Marinelli has taken the bears offer to be the line coach . :foottap:

RTP2110
01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
eSpin too

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3823723

TEXANRED
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Not surprised. He needed to get his son in law a job too. You gotta love nepotism.

beerlover
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
who's next?

rarazz00
01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
As you all are now aware as of today, Coach Rod Marinelli says no to Texans and yes to Bears... He probably felt more comfortable coaching D-Line at Chicago w/ best friend Lovie Smith...Maybe he gets some sweet revenge on Detroit twice a year as personal satisfaction for his own short comings while being HC of the Lions...Here in Houston, he was interviewing for D-Line coach and nothing more.. In Chicago he'll be that plus assistant HC under Lovie Smith. I wonder if Bush will be our DC or are we looking for someone else?:fans:

Killer Bee
01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Bummer

Thorn
01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Life goes on with or without Marinelli.

SheTexan
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I wonder if Bush will be our DC or are we looking for someone else?:fans:

Hopefully, we keep looking.

TheRealJoker
01-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Cant blame the guy, Chicago was probably the better situation for him all things considered. He stays in the same division coaching players he's familiar with and under a HC that he knows will be employing the scheme he's familiar with which allows him to coach the way he wants. We could've potentially had a situation where we pick up a DC who's philosophy doesn't mesh well with Marinelli so I cant blame the guy for going to the "safer" situation all things considered.

TexanSam
01-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Damn that's a bummer. Can't blame him though. Going to coach under a guy who he used to work with in Lovie Smith and coaching in the scheme that he uses probably outweighs the pros that we have

Hervoyel
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I think he made a mistake but that's because I'm a Texans fan and I think we've got a group playing on our line who are mostly a great coach/scheme away from breaking out. I think he could have come here and gotten a lot of credit for turning these guys into a really impressive line.

Ultimately though it's not that big a deal. There are other ways to do this and other coaches who can do the job.

beerlover
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I think he made a mistake but that's because I'm a Texans fan and I think we've got a group playing on our line who are mostly a great coach/scheme away from breaking out. I think he could have come here and gotten a lot of credit for turning these guys into a really impressive line.

Ultimately though it's not that big a deal. There are other ways to do this and other coaches who can do the job.

past association with Smith clearly over-riding factor in his decision :shades:

gtexan02
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Dang, I really wanted him to be our DL coach. Any other highly touted candidates out there?

PHAROAH
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I would have hired as DC and he could have overseen the D-Line as well Kubes blew it if we are going to the cover 2 scheme. I think that we need to look at other candidates i'm not sure that I want Frank Bush as defensive coordinator.

False Start
01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Damn. Well at least they tried . Damn Bears! :bat:

Honoring Earl 34
01-10-2009, 09:45 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/01/bill_johnson_to_be_hired_as_de.html

Johnson comes to the Saints from Denver, where he was the defensive line coach. He has been a highly coveted assistant this offseason, with Green Bay -- another team looking to fill defensive coaching spots -- and others also expressing interest in bringing him in.

barrett
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
gray interviewed in Detroit for HC. Gregg Williams is reported to be liking NO for DC. We sit and wait.

Silver Oak
01-11-2009, 01:49 PM
PFT rumors have Schwartz headed to Detroit for a second interview, so the Tennessee One-n-Dones are after Gregg Williams.

I'm patient, and I'll trust Smith/Kubiak, but they had better be working on this, even if it's not being publicly discussed.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/11/titans-expect-schwartz-to-no-longer-be-with-them/

barrett
01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
i trust them as well but i'm certianly not patient!

El Tejano
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
We need to go after Schwartz.

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
We need to go after Schwartz.

Why would he take a lateral from the Titans to us? If he's going to switch jobs, it's going to be to take a HC position.