PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Vilma at OLB?

PHAROAH
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey guys what do you think about posssibly signing free agent MLB Jonathan Vilma and playing him at OLB with Demco Ryans staying in the middle? Vilma is a UFA and the saints may not resign him what are your thoughts!!!!

:doot:

TexanSam
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy has been a career middle linebacker. He doesn't fit a need the Texans have. Don't think there's much of a chance he comes to Houston

Brandon420tx
01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I'd rather get Karlos Dansby if he slips free from the Cards.

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Look for Vilma to re-sign with the Saints...

The Saints gave the Jets a conditional 2009 draft pick as part of the Vilma deal, and what would have been the Saints' 2009 fourth-round pick already has been bumped up to their third-round pick because of Vilma's playing time this season. The Saints receive the Jets' fourth-round pick in exchange.

If the Saints re-sign Vilma before free agency begins at the end of February, then the third-round pick turns into the Saints' second-round choice. But the Saints promised their 2009 second-round pick to the Giants as part of the trade for tight end Jeremy Shockey. The Giants would get a Saints first-round choice instead if the second-round pick went to the Jets.

This means the Saints likely will not sign Vilma before free agency begins -- and, as it stands now, because of these and other moves, New Orleans would have a first-round pick, two fourth-round selections and a seventh-round choice in the upcoming draft.

"I already told (General Manager) Mickey (Loomis), I told Sean Payton, I told (defensive coordinator) Gary Gibbs that I like it here," Vilma said. "So they know that. They say they like me here. Outside of that, I really can't do anything else. Outside of that, hopefully it gets done."

He added: "I like it here. I enjoy it here. I enjoy the fans. I enjoy my teammates. I enjoy the coaches. And as I said earlier, I just don't know what's going to happen. I don't handle the business side of it."

Vilma said he could see New Orleans being a long-term home for him, and he told his agent that the Saints should be at the top of his list. Vilma also said he told his agent about four or five weeks ago that he just wanted to focus on trying to make the playoffs.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/12/linebacker_jonathan_vilma_a_pr.html

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
If we go the FA route to find an OLB - I'd rather go with Bart Scott. He's my #1 realistic hope for a big FA signing.

b0ng
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
If we go the FA route to find an OLB - I'd rather go with Bart Scott. He's my #1 realistic hope for a big FA signing.

I like Scott's attitude but I don't like the scheme he plays in in comparison to our own. This is why I want Dansby. He's been pretty phenominal even when the Cards defense was not good. Scott is high up there, but Dansby really does everything we need and has done it in a 43 where as woth Scott, you hope he fits in.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I like Scott's attitude but I don't like the scheme he plays in in comparison to our own. This is why I want Dansby. He's been pretty phenominal even when the Cards defense was not good. Scott is high up there, but Dansby really does everything we need and has done it in a 43 where as woth Scott, you hope he fits in.

Scott vs Dansby is a coin flip. I love both of those guys.

But yeah - I've publicly professed my love for Scott already for his attitude. :D

Rozelle
01-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Michael Boley (Atlanta) and Angelo Crowell (Buffalo) are a couple of lower profile UFAs if Texans look to pursue LB in free agency.
Dansby is very high on Arizona's priority list to resign, not sure about Scott, but coverage is not one of his strong points. He's a better fit as 34 ILB than a 43 OLB.

Brandon420tx
01-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I like Boley, I wouldn't mind that.

ArlingtonTexan
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Michael Boley (Atlanta) and Angelo Crowell (Buffalo) are a couple of lower profile UFAs if Texans look to pursue LB in free agency.
Dansby is very high on Arizona's priority list to resign, not sure about Scott, but coverage is not one of his strong points. He's a better fit as 34 ILB than a 43 OLB.

I am doing this w/o looking up, but I think that Leroy Hill from Seattle is a FA who is a blitzing type (depnding DC) that maybe interesting.

If (insert aunt/uncle line), Diles and Abidi had managed to stay healthy we might have a better idea of how badly we need an OLB. Of course, it they had played well, we might me looking at more Richard smith defense.

Brandon420tx
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
I am doing this w/o looking up, but I think that Leroy Hill from Seattle is a FA who is a blitzing type (depnding DC) that maybe interesting.

If (insert aunt/uncle line), Diles and Abidi had managed to stay healthy we might have a better idea of how badly we need an OLB. Of course, it they had played well, we might me looking at more Richard smith defense.

My theory is we can get a good FA linebacker and give Diles time to rest up and when he comes back he'll be great depth as he developes (under new management of course)

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I think Bart Scott would adjust fine to a 4-3. That's not based on anything - I just think he's a natural playmaker.

pittbull3
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
The Texans biggest need is a cover LB. Dansby would be nice, but may be more of a run LB, while Scott can cover. My first choice is Scott, but if we have to compensate for just someone, bring in Dansby.

Jackie Chiles
01-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Leroy Hill at LB for me please. Vilma would have the most success by far in Adibi's spot and that would be a waste imo.

BattleRedToro
01-08-2009, 08:05 AM
The Texans biggest need is a cover LB.

I agree with this statement, but modified this way.

The Texans biggest need at the LB position is a cover LB.

I think that the Texans have bigger needs on the Defense as a whole, but when you split it into sections it becomes more obvious what the needs are.

For instance, as a whole the biggest need is to have a philosophy that the entire defense is built around, that way everyone on the defense knows what their role is and it becomes easier to identify players as potential fits for the system. This makes for a cohesive unit. A great example of a defense built around a philosophy would be the Pittsburgh Steelers Defense. They are a well established unit that even though it is in constant flux, with regards to personnel coming and going, still remains one of the top defenses every year.

So, if for example the Texans decide to use a 4-3 Under Defense or a variation of this type of defense, like the Tampa 2, the Texans could then identify their biggest needs to turn their current unit into an effective 4-3 Under Defense.

By the way, I picked the 4-3 Under Defense based on the personnel we already have, because I think it make the greatest use of them and would require the least amount of additions to become an effective unit. In otherwords, its the defense we should have been running all along.

Now back to the analysis, with the Texans set at philosophy, 4-3 Under, we will look at the needs of each individual section of the defense.

First, on the Defensive Line the biggest need is a Nose Tackle. Believe it or not, in a 4-3 Under the Texans could get away with having Anthony Weaver at the LDE or otherwise known as the Strongside Defensive End. Would the team be better with Mario at this position and a speedier edge rusher at the RDE, also known as the Weakside Defensive End? Sure, but this is a luxury. In otherwords it isn't the most pressing need. So that leaves the 2 Defensive Tackle positions, the Under Tackle, or 3 Technique Tackle, and the Nose Tackle. For the Under Tackle position the Texans have plenty of players such as Amobi Okoye, and Travis Johnson. This leaves the Nose Tackle the current position that Travis Johnson has been attempting to play. Unfortunately, Travis is not the right type of player for this position. To quote Pete Carroll a long time advocate of this defensive philosophy, "At Nose Tackle you have to find a player who likes to mix it up. We want a big guy in there who likes to get down and dirty. He is going to get doubled a lot on the run and pass and is going to get down blocked a lot. He has to be a tough player. This guy can be a short and stubby type of player." This does not sound like a description of Travis Johnson.

Moving on to the Linebackers, I will again quote Mr. Carroll, "The Mike linebacker is a traditional middle linebacker. He is instinctive and makes a lot of calls for the defense. He may be the guy with the most experience or the best feel for the game." This sounds like DeMeco Ryans could fill this role effectively. "The Will linebacker can be a smaller player. He is generally protected in the defensive schemes and will not see as many blocks. All you want him to do most plays is flow and chase the football. We want our fastest linebacker at this position." Adibi sounds like he could fill this role as well, or if the Texans had the luxury they could move Ryans here in the event of acquiring a more traditional Middle Linebacker. "The Sam linebacker has to be a good containment player. He has to be big and strong enough to play on the edge of the tight end. He has to be able to run in pass coverage also." This does not sound like Zac Diles. Therefore, this is the biggest area of need at the Linebacker position.

I will come back and edit in the parts about the Secondary because I have to go now.

Rozelle
01-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Hill will be an UFA. He’s very athletic, can blitz and cover. With the $$ Seattle has wrapped up at LB with Tatupu and Peterson, not likely they will be able to get anything done with Hill.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

You have to be careful when you get the other guy from Baltimore. Jamie Sharper, Ed Hartwell, they dont always work out when they go to new teams.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
You have to be careful when you get the other guy from Baltimore. Jamie Sharper, Ed Hartwell, they dont always work out when they go to new teams.

You just used Jamie Sharper as an example of not playing well once he left Baltimore?

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
You just used Jamie Sharper as an example of not playing well once he left Baltimore?

Maybe he meant Anthony Weaver

Polo
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not convinced that we make a lot of moves at LB...

I'm also not convinced that a move to the 3-4 wouldn't be the best thing for us

False Start
01-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Who? :thinking:

Im not going to get my hopes up on the Texans signing a high profile FA. Until this team makes a name for itself, it will be Jaques Reeves type guys again IMO.

The1ApplePie
01-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Maulauga in the inside and Ryans and Vilma outside...

Probably the best LB corps in the NFL. I'd take it

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM

No, I ment Sharper. He was a guy who got alot of tackles, 5 yards down field. They are system guys, who look alot better when they have SamiRay Lewis and Company making plays. They arent guys you sign to fat contracts and put all your faith in. Same with Weaver.

gtexan02
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Look for Vilma to re-sign with the Saints...

The Saints gave the Jets a conditional 2009 draft pick as part of the Vilma deal, and what would have been the Saints' 2009 fourth-round pick already has been bumped up to their third-round pick because of Vilma's playing time this season. The Saints receive the Jets' fourth-round pick in exchange.

If the Saints re-sign Vilma before free agency begins at the end of February, then the third-round pick turns into the Saints' second-round choice. But the Saints promised their 2009 second-round pick to the Giants as part of the trade for tight end Jeremy Shockey. The Giants would get a Saints first-round choice instead if the second-round pick went to the Jets.

This means the Saints likely will not sign Vilma before free agency begins -- and, as it stands now, because of these and other moves, New Orleans would have a first-round pick, two fourth-round selections and a seventh-round choice in the upcoming draft.

"I already told (General Manager) Mickey (Loomis), I told Sean Payton, I told (defensive coordinator) Gary Gibbs that I like it here," Vilma said. "So they know that. They say they like me here. Outside of that, I really can't do anything else. Outside of that, hopefully it gets done."

He added: "I like it here. I enjoy it here. I enjoy the fans. I enjoy my teammates. I enjoy the coaches. And as I said earlier, I just don't know what's going to happen. I don't handle the business side of it."

Vilma said he could see New Orleans being a long-term home for him, and he told his agent that the Saints should be at the top of his list. Vilma also said he told his agent about four or five weeks ago that he just wanted to focus on trying to make the playoffs.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/12/linebacker_jonathan_vilma_a_pr.html

It sure sounds like Vilma will get a chance to at least test FA. No way do the Saints give up a 1st

RazorOye
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
It sure sounds like Vilma will get a chance to at least test FA. No way do the Saints give up a 1st

A defense as bad as ours... And people think we are going to let the best player on that side of the ball walk? That would be a nightmare!

We won't give up a first for him. And the current speculation is that the Saints will re-sign him but AFTER the FA date. That way the Saints don't give up the pick.

Besides, if you tell Vilma that he's coming to Houston to be an OLB I'm not sure how warm he'd be to the idea. He was grateful for the opportunity to see the field again by the Saints and the ability to return to the Mike in a 4-3 after Mangini swapped NYJ's D to a 3-4.

The Saints and Texans have similar D needs.

I'd love to have Robinson, but I don't see how Houston lets him go.

Some of you (apparently) would love to have Vilma, but I don't see how New Orleans lets him go.

Jackie Chiles
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
A defense as bad as ours... And people think we are going to let the best player on that side of the ball walk? That would be a nightmare!

We won't give up a first for him. And the current speculation is that the Saints will re-sign him but AFTER the FA date. That way the Saints don't give up the pick.

Besides, if you tell Vilma that he's coming to Houston to be an OLB I'm not sure how warm he'd be to the idea. He was grateful for the opportunity to see the field again by the Saints and the ability to return to the Mike in a 4-3 after Mangini swapped NYJ's D to a 3-4.

The Saints and Texans have similar D needs.

I'd love to have Robinson, but I don't see how Houston lets him go.

Some of you (apparently) would love to have Vilma, but I don't see how New Orleans lets him go.

A little off topic but looks like you guys are interviewing Gregg Williams for DC. I totally agree though, both teams have similar defensive needs and it would be a big surprise to me if either team lets any defensive talent escape.

RazorOye
01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
A little off topic but looks like you guys are interviewing Gregg Williams for DC. I totally agree though, both teams have similar defensive needs and it would be a big surprise to me if either team lets any defensive talent escape.

Yea... word is he was the first we interviewed. Once the seasons are over for Philly and Titans, I hear we may be looking at McDermott and McGinnis respectively.

Brandon420tx
01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Heres something on Karlos Dansby

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2658

Dansby leads the Cardinals in tackles (52), has three sacks and has recovered a pair of fumbles. He has been a steady if not spectacular contributor this season, but Davis said Dansby has played well.

Dansby said he waits for his opportunities and when chances to make big plays are there, he tries to take advantage – “It could be more, but I’m not greedy,” he said – and noted he has talented teammates who can also make an impact.

Dansby’s role changes from week-to-week, sometimes as a primary blitzer and sometimes not blitzing at all, which Davis said can skew statistics.

“It’s not about sacks or interceptions,” Davis said. “It’s about how well do you play your position. So far, there are no complaints with Karlos.”

That’s helped because Dansby has proven to be a complete linebacker who can be used in pass rush or coverage.

That’s why, friendship aside, Wilson views Dansby as a crucial piece to the team.

He wants big money though, but if he performs as well as he did this season I wouldn't complain in the slightest. Maybe we can keep Wilson and Dansby together by trading for him. (kidding)

ledzeppelin229
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm not convinced that we make a lot of moves at LB...

I'm also not convinced that a move to the 3-4 wouldn't be the best thing for us

Wouldn't Mario be kind of wasted as a 3-4 end? Or would he become some sort of DE/OLB supersized super-freak?