PDA

View Full Version : Do The Texans Have What It Takes To Sign A FA?

gary
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
It would be great if the Texans sign a FA. Who thinks that they are going to go out full force and try to sign one? There is a great list of them out there no doubt. Money wise who do they have a shot at? Signing a FA I think is important to this team this offseason since they have not really ever signed a big FA in their seven year being. Who do you think would be good for the team as far as having a good team atmosphere goes? Weather or not they even go after a FA during the offseason we do not know but it is very early on and I am sure that will or at least I sure hope that they do becasuse they need to.

Thorn
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
If they can get an expensive AND GOOD free agent in the off season, Iíll be happy. I would assume it to be a defensive player, as we donít need desperate help on the offense. As long as it IS NOT fat Albert, Iíll be OK. Hainsworth is not worth the money he will demand. He just isnít. That and heís an asshole. I donít want him on our team.

That CB from Oakland would be a great signing though.

TexanSam
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the Texans are going to focus on resigning their free agents first. Owen Daniels and David Anderson are restricted free agents who will probably be resigned. Same with Dunta Robinson. I'm not sure who else we have that deserves a new contract

RipTraxx
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
If they can get an expensive AND GOOD free agent in the off season, Iíll be happy. I would assume it to be a defensive player, as we donít need desperate help on the offense. As long as it IS NOT fat Albert, Iíll be OK. Hainsworth is not worth the money he will demand. He just isnít. That and heís an asshole. I donít want him on our team.

Im praying that the Panthers dont franchise Peppers.....:d:

Thorn
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Im praying that the Panthers dont franchise Peppers.....:d:

Peppers and Mario on the same line approaches sexual fantasies. My God how good can that get?

It wonít happen though, but damn, itís nice to dream about.

gary
01-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Suggs anyone?

RipTraxx
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Suggs anyone?

As a LB or DE?

gary
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
As a LB or DE?DE maybe.

gtexan02
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
There are many possible issues preventing the Texans from landing someone big:

1. A lot of times people who excel on one team wouldn't do well on others. They don't fit your system, so now matter how talented they are on that team, they might not translate well on another. We will avoid guys who don't fit our system

2. A lot of high priced vets are looking to win and win now. They don't want an up and coming team, they want a team thats already contending and needs that extra piece.

3. A lot of highly talented people drop like rocks after they get that huge payday. This scares me

4. Houston is not known for developing talent. In fact, I'd guess we have a pretty negative reputation around the league for free agents. We don't really sign guys that end up making careers. All our most talented players have come from drafts.

That being said, I really hope we can pull someone who might make a difference to this team. Whether they are OL or defense, I'd be pleased. Whats killing us is that we keep signing 3 or 4 mid range players who end up getting cut rather than 1 superstar who ends up getting paid and sticking around.

Ckw
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
4. Houston is not known for developing talent. In fact, I'd guess we have a pretty negative reputation around the league for free agents. We don't really sign guys that end up making careers. All our most talented players have come from drafts.

And drafting players and them doing well does not require player development?

Also, as far as free agents, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Walter, Earl Cochran, Andre Davis, and others would disagree with your statement that "we don't really sign guys that end up making careers." All those guys were essentially nobodies, other than Wilson to an extent, and they all ended up becoming serviceable starters for the Texans. Give me a break...

gary
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
There are many possible issues preventing the Texans from landing someone big:

1. A lot of times people who excel on one team wouldn't do well on others. They don't fit your system, so now matter how talented they are on that team, they might not translate well on another. We will avoid guys who don't fit our system

2. A lot of high priced vets are looking to win and win now. They don't want an up and coming team, they want a team thats already contending and needs that extra piece.

3. A lot of highly talented people drop like rocks after they get that huge payday. This scares me

That being said, I really hope we can pull someone who might make a difference to this team. Whether they are OL or defense, I'd be pleased. Whats killing us is that we keep signing 3 or 4 mid range players who end up getting cut rather than 1 superstar who ends up getting paid and sticking around.Some good points here and kind of the reason why I started this thread really.

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I think Houston has what it takes; I believe the players in the league recognize theyíre an up and coming team. As we know, signing high profile FAs hasnít been their style; Texans usually arenít active until the second wave, expect more of the same. Houston is doing a very good job building thru the draft. This team is very close.

I believe getting it right with the next DC will have much more of an impact than a high profile FA.

gary
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I still think that they should sign a big FA just one time.

eriadoc
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
If the Raiders somehow don't franchise Asomugha, I really hope the Texans go after him. He's young, he's one of the best CBs in the league, and we need a great CB. He would pretty well lock down one side of the field, and if you keep throwing at Dunta, he's going to win enough of those to make you lose. That is my dream signing. That level of lockdown will help the pass rush as well.

Killer Bee
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
We definitely have the money to sign a big name, but the front office has made a clear stance on building through the draft. That doesn’t rule out a high $ free agent signing, but it isn’t exactly helping our chances. I’m all for a big signing every few years if there’s the cap space.

What we need to do first is resign Dunta, and extend Daniels and Ryans. After that we’ll probably sign some middle tier free agents with a slight chance at a big one. Keep an eye on FS Oshiomogho Atogwe from St. Louis. Check out his stats…

http://www.nfl.com/players/oshiomoghoatogwe/careerstats?id=ATO237308

gary
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
If the Raiders somehow don't franchise Asomugha, I really hope the Texans go after him. He's young, he's one of the best CBs in the league, and we need a great CB. He would pretty well lock down one side of the field, and if you keep throwing at Dunta, he's going to win enough of those to make you lose. That is my dream signing. That level of lockdown will help the pass rush as well.He won't be too high cost wise?

Hervoyel
01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I think that this year more than any other so far the Texans could use the services of one high priced, high quality free agent. Allow me to explain my position on this.

Our offense is I think very much set going into next year and there's no good reason to dip into free agency to bolster this group up. More than anything they need reps together and to focus on perfecting their play within our system. Cut down the mistakes and stop the ridiculous turnovers and we're set. The sole exception to this is a complimentary back to Steve Slaton which can be had in the draft in the middle rounds.

Our defense is in a heavy state of transition. We're on a coach hunt and trying to find the defensive coordinator who will put an end to our tissue paper run defense and fix our inept pass rush. Make no mistake we will find this guy and Houston is absolutely a sweet opportunity for the next DC. We have talent, they are young, and this is far from a bare cupboard. On top of that these players have played hard and been effective at times. In the second half of both of the last two seasons these players have shut down some very good offenses in games where the outcome had meaning to those teams.

Our defense has quite a few players to build with. Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye are both guys that any good DC in his right mind would want to try and develop and build around. Both have shown what they are capable of (Mario more so than Amobi) and both have been clearly misused by our former DC and staff. I'll even go so far as to say that Travis Johnson might also perform differently in a better scheme and I know that we've uncovered a gem in DeShaun Robinson. In the LB corps we have starters in Zach Diles, DeMeco Ryans, and Xavier Adibi. This is a young and promising group. Ryans has been to a Pro Bowl, Diles was a tackling machine and getting better by the week when he went down, and Adibi came in and completely changed the play of the group with his speed despite being way underweight. Our secondary needs help but we've got Dunta Robinson who is a difference maker and both Fred Bennett and Antwaun Molden are very promising prospects.

There's definitely something to work with here and I'm sure coaches can see this. We'll get our DC and staff and they'll make a real difference in how this unit plays.

On top of that we're probably going to add a young player in the first round who will be expected to start and he will almost certainly be on the defensive side of the ball. A new coach coming in will no doubt know that he's going to get to add a hih draft pick to his unit right off the bat. He might get both first day picks used on defense.

Now as for the FA signing (you thought I'd forgotten about that didn't you?). We need to re-sign our guys. Dunta has to come back because he's the heart of this group. He's the guts of this group. When he's on the field the play of the others elevates. That's apparent to anyone paying attention. He's a leader and we are short of those on defense in a big way. So what do we do? We bring in one more expensive but outstanding free agent defender.

Now I don't care if he's a DT like Haynesworth or a cornerback like Asomugha (perfect if he's not franchised for some reason). It just doesn't matter which group we add him to (DL, LB, DB) because each one of them could easily use a veteran leader who plays at a high level. Arguably we're looking at a DL that's a new scheme and one great player away from being an elite unit. Arguably we have a LB corps who you could add one exceptional free agent to and they'd do some serious damage. One guy like Asomugha added to our defensive backfield and they're shutting people down.

If we could get a rookie LB who can start right away and can add a top of the line FA DT to our front four then we'd be making some real noise. If we could get a rookie FS and give Mario an effective pass rushing DE then we're going to rack up some sacks and picks. If we could throw Asomugha back there with Dunta and draft a FS and a DE on day one then we are again going to look very good very fast.

My point is that right now is the time to commit to playing defense at a high level.
1)Bring in the coaches
2)Implement a scheme that is truly an NFL caliber defense and not some hodgepodge that C-USA offenses could pick apart
3)Go get a statement player and a first (plus maybe a second) round rookie

With our offense and a real defense we'll be there.

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
If the Raiders somehow don't franchise Asomugha, I really hope the Texans go after him. He's young, he's one of the best CBs in the league, and we need a great CB. He would pretty well lock down one side of the field, and if you keep throwing at Dunta, he's going to win enough of those to make you lose. That is my dream signing. That level of lockdown will help the pass rush as well.

In the (impossible) event that they don't tag Aso, the ONLY way we sign him is if we don't sign Dunta. Think about how much money that would mean we had poured into that position:

2008 - Jacques Reeves - large, but not gigantic contract
2009 - Dunta Robinson - probably will be a big contract with 22+ million guaranteed
2009 - Nnamdi Asomugha - likely the largest contract for a CB ever - if not, it will at least be close to Asante Samuel's deal.

No way they sink that much money into two positions - especially in ONE off-season with Dunta AND Nnamdi. Nnamdi alone? Still a huge longshot 1 - because of the money and 2 - because they're going to tag him.

Hervoyel
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
In the (impossible) event that they don't tag Aso, the ONLY way we sign him is if we don't sign Dunta. Think about how much money that would mean we had poured into that position:

2008 - Jacques Reeves - large, but not gigantic contract
2009 - Dunta Robinson - probably will be a big contract with 22+ million guaranteed
2009 - Nnamdi Asomugha - likely the largest contract for a CB ever - if not, it will at least be close to Asante Samuel's deal.

No way they sink that much money into two positions - especially in ONE off-season with Dunta AND Nnamdi. Nnamdi alone? Still a huge longshot 1 - because of the money and 2 - because they're going to tag him.

I don't know, it seems like teams make it happen if they're determined to do so. We have three first round draft picks taken in three straight drafts on the DL. I know draft pick money isn't the same thing as free agent money but I don't think that it's impossible to do. It would be a longshot I agree but it's not impossible. Creative cap management is possible and I can't believe that we have all that much cash tied up in the linebackers or in the rest of the secondary outside of those three players. Beyond Mario and Amobi we've got TJ in the latter part of his deal and a bunch of guys we developed from undrafted free agents. Plus our offense is mostly composed of homegrown talent and bargain free agents. I think if they want to they can make the two deals work (Dunta and Asomugha).

The biggest obstacle is the fact that he'll probably be franchised.

gary
01-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Amen.

NitroGSXR
01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't know, it seems like teams make it happen if they're determined to do so. We have three first round draft picks taken in three straight drafts on the DL. I know draft pick money isn't the same thing as free agent money but I don't think that it's impossible to do. It would be a longshot I agree but it's not impossible. Creative cap management is possible and I can't believe that we have all that much cash tied up in the linebackers or in the rest of the secondary outside of those three players. Beyond Mario and Amobi we've got TJ in the latter part of his deal and a bunch of guys we developed from undrafted free agents. Plus our offense is mostly composed of homegrown talent and bargain free agents. I think if they want to they can make the two deals work (Dunta and Asomugha).

The biggest obstacle is the fact that he'll probably be franchised.

Another huge obstacle is who our DC is going to be. I believe that the Texans' choice of hire is what may or may not sway FAs to come here. Asmougha isn't going to want to work with an unproven or an unknown because his level of play will depend on the DC and their staff. That makes a ton of sense to me. Am I in the right frame of mind for thinking that way?

Doesn't necessarily apply just to Asmougha either. Any bigtime FA.

dtran04
01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
There's also Molden who you could say is a somewhat steep investment as a 3rd round pick. You would hope he is around a Fred Bennett level of a player.

Overall, I hope to see many depth type signings instead of splash signings. More guys like Bentley and not guys like Greenwood.

gtexan02
01-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Another huge obstacle is who our DC is going to be. I believe that the Texans' choice of hire is what may or may not sway FAs to come here. Asmougha isn't going to want to work with an unproven or an unknown because his level of play will depend on the DC and their staff. That makes a ton of sense to me. Am I in the right frame of mind for thinking that way?

I totally agree. Good players who are in their prime know that this may not be their last pay day if they can keep up their level of skill. Playing for someone who is going to mis-use you is the best way to end your career early

(I use money as the motivation here, but there are some players who probably want to play well because they are motivated by winning, HOF, etc as well)

eriadoc
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
He won't be too high cost wise?

Not IMO, but I don't run things. He'll be the highest paid CB ever, probably, but he's probably the best CB to come along since a young Champ Bailey. We have spent a ton of money on FA signings that weren't this good. The only downside to a large contract that I can see is injury, but you face that with any player in the NFL, and you have to handle that in the guaranteed money.

I really don't see any reason they won't sign Robinson as well as Asomugha (in my dream world), because it's not like they have a ton of high priced guys right now that they have to retain. Besides, I can easily see them working out an incentive-laden contract with D-Rob that pays him to meet certain criteria. As long as those criteria are health-based, I think D-Rob would go for it. No one questions his heart.

eriadoc
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM

I think we'll have our DC situation lined out by the time free agency hits, though. As soon as the playoffs are over, IMO :)

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
The great thing about Aso is that - were we to have the opportunity to sign him to the gigantic contract he will get - I think he's about the most sure-thing FA to continue his high level of play that I've seen in a long, long time.

So - if somehow we were able to pull the trigger, I'd be cool with it no matter what the price was.

b0ng
01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Also, as far as free agents, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Walter, Earl Cochran, Andre Davis, and others would disagree with your statement that "we don't really sign guys that end up making careers." All those guys were essentially nobodies, other than Wilson to an extent, and they all ended up becoming serviceable starters for the Texans. Give me a break...

If all we signed were people of those guys's notoriety people would be highly pissed that we didn't "go after the big name". Those guys are good, but Ckw has a point. The big guys we have signed haven't done anything with their careers since we've signed them.

gary
01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I think we'll have our DC situation lined out by the time free agency hits, though. As soon as the playoffs are over, IMO :)Does FA start right after the playoffs?

Brandon420tx
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Peppers and Mario on the same line approaches sexual fantasies. My God how good can that get?

It won’t happen though, but damn, it’s nice to dream about.

Here Here.

Slightly more realistic (Though still not likely)
I'd love to get "The Edge" James, and Karlos Dansby from the Cards.

Edit: Also, Karlos Dansby "should" know Frank Bush

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Free Agency starts March 1st

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Does FA start right after the playoffs?

February 27

keyser
01-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Our offense is I think very much set going into next year and there's no good reason to dip into free agency to bolster this group up. More than anything they need reps together and to focus on perfecting their play within our system. Cut down the mistakes and stop the ridiculous turnovers and we're set. The sole exception to this is a complimentary back to Steve Slaton which can be had in the draft in the middle rounds.

This is going off on a bit of a tangent, since I agree we don't need to make the offense the focus of FA, but I think we're a log way from "set" there. Our offense did well, but there are big depth issues:

OL is precarious. We didn't have any injuries there this year, and if we had, I think we'd have ended up quite a bit worse on the season. I think we need to address this through free agency and/or the draft.
Slaton and Leach are good backs, but what if either of them goes down? We have a bunch of unproven or often injured backup RBs, and I don't think we have any other FBs. It feels like we've been signing tons of RBs in recent years, but we still don't have this positions settled.
I think Dreesen might be an OK backup to Daniels, but do we even have a blocking TE now (Bruener is gone)?
We've got some good WR depth, but if we lost AJ, I don't feel very confident about sliding everyone up a notch in the WR group.
I think Sage is as good as we can hope for in a backup QB. He's not a long-term solution for us, though.

Maybe our offensive scheme helps us do well with OL and backs who aren't high-dollar guys, and our current backups will be OK. But, I think both of these, plus TE, are places where we might see a free agent signing (not an expensive one, though).

Brandon420tx
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
edit nvm lol.

I'm trying to find any news on Dansby's intentions going into the offseason, but I guess nothing will pop up till the superbowl is over.

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
February 27

My bad... This is earlier then years past isn't it?

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
My bad... This is earlier then years past isn't it?

Yeah, by a coupla days.

Though I must add - I haven't found an "official" date yet. The date I got was not from NFL.com. They still have last year's info on their free agency home page.

I got that date from two other unofficial football sites who track these things every season - so I had no reason to not believe them.

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, by a coupla days.

Though I must add - I haven't found an "official" date yet. The date I got was not from NFL.com. They still have last year's info on their free agency home page.

I got that date from two other unofficial football sites who track these things every season - so I had no reason to not believe them.

No thats right, heres NFL.com link...

http://www.nfl.com/more/nflcalendar

Only one time, not counting last year (Feb. 29th leap year) since 2001 has it not started in March.

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
No thats right, heres NFL.com link...

http://www.nfl.com/more/nflcalendar

Only one time, not counting last year (Feb. 29th leap year) since 2001 has it not started in March.

Oh! Well, hell I couldn't find that! Thank you. :)

eriadoc
01-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Slightly more realistic (Though still not likely)
I'd love to get "The Edge" James, and Karlos Dansby from the Cards.

Edit: Also, Karlos Dansby "should" know Frank Bush

Booooo! Put me down as a "hell no" to any 30+ free agents. I don't think I can handle another one.

welsh texan
01-08-2009, 01:36 AM
I like the idea of aquiring a medium term difference maker through free agency.

For one thing, the team is still probably 2 drafts away from complete, if we go exclusively via the draft route. That's a little hard to take.

Secondly, we could do with getting the D sorted now so that we can A) challenge in the playoffs asap and B) move on to bringing in players to develop at the skill positions, AJ's eventual replacement, same for Schaub, and of course the O-line is by no means perfect, with future drafts.

I also reckon that if you take someone such as Peppers/Suggs on D-line for instance, he will be able to teach Mario, Amobi, and TJ off the field as well as helping them out on it, same goes for other positions.

I like the position we are in this off season, we have both money and the picks to take whatever the new DC feels is best for the team, which is much better than what we've become accustomed to which is the question of which holes do you try to fill knowing that you'll still have gaping holes elsewhere, we will be solid everywhere (hopefully).

Texanmike02
01-08-2009, 01:41 AM
If they can get an expensive AND GOOD free agent in the off season, I’ll be happy. I would assume it to be a defensive player, as we don’t need desperate help on the offense. As long as it IS NOT fat Albert, I’ll be OK. Hainsworth is not worth the money he will demand. He just isn’t. That and he’s an asshole. I don’t want him on our team.

Honestly, I'd love Fat Al here. He will be worth the money. In fact of all of the players out there I'd say he is the most likely to be worth the money he's given. I agree he's an asshole, I can't stand him.... but I honestly think that's one thing this team lacks. We have a bunch of nice guys. I won't make the obvious "knockout stomp" joke... or any of the millions of variations... but the guy plays with a chip. Maybe that dissapears after payday but maybe other teams will think twice about going low on Schaub if they know Haynesworth is just waiting for a reason to return the favor.

And I've said this before, nothing would help this team more than a DT that can colapse the pocket from the top. When the other Drob was playing DT and penetrating and pushing his man back this defense looked a million times better. Mysteriously our blitzes started "working" and he kept blockers of Demeco who played his best football at that point of the season.

I wonder how the fact that we may be facing an uncapped year after this will affect FA. Seems to me that if you want a premium FA this may be the time to sign him.

Mike

welsh texan
01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Its a fair point, but don't you think that given the money invested in TJ and Amobi, you add the LE and take a year to have a look-see whether a change of coaching and scheme is all that is needed?? Especially when you still need a LE at some point whether it comes off or not, but there is a chance that we don't need the DT if TJ can improve.

TimeKiller
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Have what it takes?

Money?

Yea, the Texans got a little bit of that. I hope Smith takes care of the obvious resignings before F/A starts. Back up the truck at someones house!

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
AJ's eventual replacement, same for Schaub

You don't draft replacements for 27 year old WR's and QB's unless their performance is sub-par.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Booooo! Put me down as a "hell no" to any 30+ free agents. I don't think I can handle another one.

Not only is he over 30, but he is a putz. He has been invisible since leaving Indy, nada chance. I would bet money we dont sign a RB over 28. Once bitten...

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 09:46 AM

That being said, I really hope we can pull someone who might make a difference to this team. Whether they are OL or defense, I'd be pleased. Whats killing us is that we keep signing 3 or 4 mid range players who end up getting cut rather than 1 superstar who ends up getting paid and sticking around.

Here are my agreements and disagreements about the above quote:

I agree we aren't known for developing talent but I don't think that is the case with us anymore. I believe we can now point to our last three drafts and show people where our talent is coming from - Mario Williams Pro Bowl, Demeco Ryans Pro Bowl, Winston starter, Owen Daniels Pro Bowl considerations and starter, Slaton led rookies in rushing etc...(too many) but you can also now look at Jacque Reeves and use him as an example.

When it comes to Jacques Reeves you can literally tell the FA "This dude can't cover worth a hill of beans but he still came out with 5 interceptions on the season and now we think he is good enough to keep around."

You can also point to Eugene Wilson and Nick Ferguson and show how they became the starters even with the age issues. I don't even think we can say anything bad about Kevin Walter (that's development if I ever seen it.)

I do agree that we got to stop going after Jacque Reeves type players (mid range players). However I do look at when we got a prime time player like Eric Moulds, which was the same year we got Kevin Walter. Eric Moulds' career basically died here and Walter is now a fine compliment to Andre Johnson. However, one can make the argument that Eric Moulds in TC provided the on field coaching for Andre and Kevin.

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Edge has been relatively healthy. He's a great receiver out of the backfield and Az. just got younger with Arrington and Hightower, otherwise dude would really be playing. He was awesome in their playoff win.

Brandon420tx
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Not only is he over 30, but he is a putz. He has been invisible since leaving Indy, nada chance. I would bet money we dont sign a RB over 28. Once bitten...

Edge doesn't have a serious injury history *knock on wood*, at least since 2003. He made a extremely dumb decision to go to Arizona with an Oline that was never taught how to run block.
Theres perks to getting Edgerrin James in our offense.

1. Right now, our most effecting running areas is behind the tackles, which is where he thrived at running in Indy. Arizona runs more straight ahead into the teeth.

2. He can further Slatons developement. Hightower credits his success this season to the sideline coaching he's gotten from Edgerrin James.

3. Good pass protector.

Edge has been relatively healthy. He's a great receiver out of the backfield and Az. just got younger with Arrington and Hightower, otherwise dude would really be playing. He was awesome in their playoff win.

I should probably watch that game.

I know Wiki isn't really a great source but...

[edit] Arizona Cardinals
James signed a four-year deal with the Cardinals on March 12, 2006. James went through a stretch of 8 games out of the 08-09 season where he carried the ball only 11 times. Through this time (Head Coach) Ken Whisenhunt brought him in as strictly a pass protector. In week 17 against the Seattle Seahawks, James carried the ball 14 times for 100 Yards (7.1). James has said he will not come back to Arizona following the 2009 NFL playoffs,[3] In the Cardinal's first playoff game in 2009, James averaged 4.7 yards per carry, and outran Michael Turner, the Falcoln's star running back.

Polo
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
No thanks to the Edge...

Not sure how the Texans could sell that with a straight face..

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Edge doesn't have a serious injury history *knock on wood*, at least since 2003. He made a extremely dumb decision to go to Arizona with an Oline that was never taught how to run block.
Theres perks to getting Edgerrin James in our offense.

1. Right now, our most effecting running areas is behind the tackles, which is where he thrived at running in Indy. Arizona runs more straight ahead into the teeth.

2. He can further Slatons developement. Hightower credits his success this season to the sideline coaching he's gotten from Edgerrin James.

3. Good pass protector.

I should probably watch that game.

I know Wiki isn't really a great source but...

The only part I do agree with is getting a guy to teach, but Edge wasnt productive unless he was running against 5 man fronts in Indy. Its easy with a 1st ballot Hall of Famer that teams are terrified of. Also, he missed almost a whole year with a knee injury. Rhodes had 1000 yards that year.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Pretty common for folks to say players want to go to winners so the Texans can't get big names. Edge went for money, plain and simple and a lot of other players do too. Of course players want to go to winners, everything else being equal, but typically things aren't equal and they go where the money is best.

SeŮor Stan
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Keith has a great article about this topic here...

In the Bullseye (http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20090106.html)

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Well just get rid of Demarcus Faggins and C.C. Brown. Faggins is Jacque Reeves without the INTs now and C.C. is coming off his second season ending injury. Your depth now is Dominque Barber and Will Demps, and Harrison with any rookie you get.

HOU-TEX
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Well just get rid of Demarcus Faggins and C.C. Brown. Faggins is Jacque Reeves without the INTs now and C.C. is coming off his second season ending injury. Your depth now is Dominque Barber and Will Demps, and Harrison with any rookie you get.

FWIW, C.C. was the only one to remain healthy in our secondary throughout the 07 season.

But, I do agree that he's not our answer at S.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Edge would be a great addition. He's one of the very best - maybe THE very best - pass-protecting RBs in the league. He's run in a similar system (Colts ran SOME zone blocking - but this isn't a significant thing). He's been healthy and durable, even late in his career.

Trouble is, he'll want too much money to come here - and I think HE still thinks he's a feature back.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Also, he (Edge) missed almost a whole year with a knee injury. Rhodes had 1000 yards that year.

What year was that? 2001? Eight years ago. That's the ONLY SEASON Edge has appeared in less than 13 games.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
What year was that? 2001? Eight years ago. That's the ONLY SEASON Edge has appeared in less than 13 games.

I think his point was about the system having a lot to do with Edge's success in Indy and not about questioning Edge's durability.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I think his point was about the system having a lot to do with Edge's success in Indy and not about questioning Edge's durability.

I'm pretty sure he used that season as a negative against signing Edge. I mean - there are reasons to not sign him - but health is not one of them.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm pretty sure he used that season as a negative against signing Edge. I mean - there are reasons to not sign him - but health is not one of them.

He was using it as a negative but not about health. The point is when Manning is the QB, it makes it easy for the RB to look good because everyone is playing pass. Nobody played 8 in the box to stop Edge.

Texanmike02
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Its a fair point, but don't you think that given the money invested in TJ and Amobi, you add the LE and take a year to have a look-see whether a change of coaching and scheme is all that is needed?? Especially when you still need a LE at some point whether it comes off or not, but there is a chance that we don't need the DT if TJ can improve.

If we get a DT, LE will be a whole lot less important. The problem isn't that we haven't had guys at LE, in my opinion. The reason Mario can get sacks is he can back his man to the QB. Our LE will be a fast guy to come around the corner. If the DT can collapse the pocket from the top then the QB can't step up to avoid the rush. If we just go get another speed rusher we'll still have the same problem.

I know we have money tied up in the DT position but I don't think that money is doing anything. Hell let TJ and Okoye rotate and have a fresh smallish DT in there all game. The Iggles have made rotating their line a staple of a great defense for the better part of the last decade. The other solution would be move Okoye to the LE position and replace him at DT. He's not the ideal pass rusher, but he's really quick for a DT and would definately tie up his blocker. Now you have to double either Mario or Haynesworth... TJ and Okoye each take one and you send someone off the end (a cb or diles for example) and the QB can't step up. That could be a devistating pass rush. Just thinking out loud here.

Mike

Hervoyel
01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
If we look at an older running back again (and let me say right up front that I hope we do not) then I would be interested in talking to Fred Taylor. I think the Jags have tried to push him to the side just a couple of years too soon. I think he'd be an excellent compliment to Slaton and Taylor probably has a year or two left in him.

But as I said I'd much prefer the Texans find that complimentary back in the draft.

Goldensilence
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
There are a few things that should make Houston an attractive spot for FA.

1. No State income taxes
2. Top Notch Facilities
3. If injured some of the best doctors in the country
4. Houston/Texas food
5. Texas has some of the most beautiful women in the world.
6. Cap room and a good core of players starting to emerge.

Houston has what it takes but the bigger question is will they pull the trigger on a big name guy? I'm no saying max the cap out but if we got it let's use it wisely.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Edge would be a great addition. He's one of the very best - maybe THE very best - pass-protecting RBs in the league. He's run in a similar system (Colts ran SOME zone blocking - but this isn't a significant thing). He's been healthy and durable, even late in his career.

Trouble is, he'll want too much money to come here - and I think HE still thinks he's a feature back.

I was excited about the Ahman Green signing before 2007, but now I just hope it's a lesson we've learned regarding aging RB's.

I know Edge doesn't have an overly concerning injury history, but consider the fact that when Green joined the Texans, he'd only had 1 season in his 9 year career where he'd played less than 14 games. Green was a year younger at the start of the 2007 season than Edge will be at the start of the 2009 season. Most importantly, Green had less than 2,000 carries in his career when we signed him, and Edge is 18 short of 3,000 (regular season stats only).

Finally, our two biggest problems on offense are turnovers and red zone scoring. Edge was a crummy short yardage back in AZ, and that's one of the big reasons Hightower started getting some PT.

I don't think I want Edge under any circumstances, but unless you get him dirt cheap, and are absolutely convinced that he's aware of his role as a "relief" runner, 30+ year old backs with 3,000 carries aren't something that spells success.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I was excited about the Ahman Green signing before 2007, but now I just hope it's a lesson we've learned regarding aging RB's.

I know Edge doesn't have an overly concerning injury history, but consider the fact that when Green joined the Texans, he'd only had 1 season in his 9 year career where he'd played less than 14 games. Green was a year younger at the start of the 2007 season than Edge will be at the start of the 2009 season. Most importantly, Green had less than 2,000 carries in his career when we signed him, and Edge is 18 short of 3,000 (regular season stats only).

Finally, our two biggest problems on offense are turnovers and red zone scoring. Edge was a crummy short yardage back in AZ, and that's one of the big reasons Hightower started getting some PT.

I don't think I want Edge under any circumstances, but unless you get him dirt cheap, and are absolutely convinced that he's aware of his role as a "relief" runner, 30+ year old backs with 3,000 carries aren't something that spells success.

What's the lesson? Ahman Green had a history of injury problems. I like many others knew that was a horrible signing from the start. Edge has no such injury problems.

Again - not saying he's the best answer - but to compare him to Ahman Green is just not right. Apples and oranges.

Personally - I'd rather address this need in the draft.

welsh texan
01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
If we get a DT, LE will be a whole lot less important. The problem isn't that we haven't had guys at LE, in my opinion. The reason Mario can get sacks is he can back his man to the QB. Our LE will be a fast guy to come around the corner. If the DT can collapse the pocket from the top then the QB can't step up to avoid the rush. If we just go get another speed rusher we'll still have the same problem.

I know we have money tied up in the DT position but I don't think that money is doing anything. Hell let TJ and Okoye rotate and have a fresh smallish DT in there all game. The Iggles have made rotating their line a staple of a great defense for the better part of the last decade. The other solution would be move Okoye to the LE position and replace him at DT. He's not the ideal pass rusher, but he's really quick for a DT and would definately tie up his blocker. Now you have to double either Mario or Haynesworth... TJ and Okoye each take one and you send someone off the end (a cb or diles for example) and the QB can't step up. That could be a devistating pass rush. Just thinking out loud here.

Mike

I like what you are saying apart from moving Amobi outside, I guess whichever way they go with it there will be an improvement.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Edge has no such injury problems.

Would you have said Edge had injury problems before going to Arizona?

Edge 5 years prior to going to Arizona: 1 season primarily lost due to injury and 6 games missed here and there with dings.
Green in 5 years prior to coming to Houston: 1 season primarily lost due to injury and 5 games missed here and there with dings.

Ckw
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
If all we signed were people of those guys's notoriety people would be highly pissed that we didn't "go after the big name". Those guys are good, but Ckw has a point. The big guys we have signed haven't done anything with their careers since we've signed them.

Yes, but we have had some free agent signings where the guys were nobodies prior to becoming Texans. This is why I don't really believe that player development is one of our major problems. Look at the guys we have drafted. Many of them have become bonafide stars. That certainly takes some player development.

As far as our big name free agent signing: well, we haven't really had any. All of the "big name" guys we have signed were still value signings. They were fairly cheap, at least as far as "big name" guys go, and they were all veterans. Think Eric Moulds (career was over), Ahman Green (career was over), Anthony Weaver (lazy, 3-4 defensive end), etc.

What many of you guys forget is we haven't been signing the big name free agents because in years past we simply haven't had the cap space with the numerous positions we needed to fill. In Kubiak's first season, our team only had a few quality NFL starters, so we had a lot of positions that we needed to improve and couldn't make that big splash. We had to get value guys.

I think all of that is going to change this year. I fully expect us to go after a big name free agent and sign that true impact player. I hope...

mattschaub#8
01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
they got ahma green for how much they beter have the guts for some 1 good...:fans::jogger:

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Would you have said Edge had injury problems before going to Arizona?

What relevance does that have? He went to Arizona and has remained healthy.

Texanmike02
01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I like what you are saying apart from moving Amobi outside, I guess whichever way they go with it there will be an improvement.

I'm just saying that Haynesworth (or equivalent) + moving Amobi outside>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> signing a LE and not finding an athletic buffet vaccum for the middle.

Mike

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
What relevance does that have? He went to Arizona and has remained healthy.

The point is one of consistency. Arizona made a similar decision we did--either both were unreasonable (and they paid far more) or both were unreasonable decisions. The results and hindsight are irrelevant to that determination. Just so happens he stayed healthy and Green didn't. Doesn't make the decision's wisdom any different.

PS--you didn't answer the question.

gary
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
How about giving CB a chance to be our second RB? He was drafted with high hopes for hm and has never really lived up to the hype but he has turned his life around off of the football field. Because he has never really worked out quite the way that people thought that he was going to he should be driven to play harder as long as he undstands his role as a backup running back JMO.

DiehardChris
01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
The point is one of consistency. Arizona made a similar decision we did--either both were unreasonable (and they paid far more) or both were unreasonable decisions. The results and hindsight are irrelevant to that determination. Just so happens he stayed healthy and Green didn't. Doesn't make the decision's wisdom any different.

PS--you didn't answer the question.

Yes... but... the person who I was originally responding to - was saying that James missed a season and Dominic Rhodes filled in for 1000 yards. That was waaay back in 2001.

To answer your question (sheesh, this feels like the NSZ) I would say no, Edge did not have injury problems going into Arizona. He only missed significant time in 01 - 5 years prior to bolting for Arizona.

When Green came to Houston, he was one season removed from missing something like 12 games.

(The NSZ comment was tongue-in-cheek, just so you know) :D

LJ TEXAN
01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok! Let me get a shot at this. I dont think we realy need to get a fa. We have a great young team and it has always been a young team. they all have great attitudes and they have realy grown to each other and care about the team and as long as we keep all these good players we have together and keep drafting it will turn into a great veteran team. I have always been scared about picking up some fa and they hurt the locker room and the team like a TO. Even Haynsworth is a great player to have but would be scary to have on the team cause we dont have issues like that. We have down to earth guys like Andre Johnson who just goes out there and gets the job done so does Demeco, Robinson and Mario. Those are all great players with great attitude. Let these guys keep leading the way and teaching the team with the players we have and new young guys coming out of the draft and not some veteran from another team who thinks he knows more and wants all the attention.

jshabang
01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Ok! Let me get a shot at this. I dont think we realy need to get a fa. We have a great young team and it has always been a young team. they all have great attitudes and they have realy grown to each other and care about the team and as long as we keep all these good players we have together and keep drafting it will turn into a great veteran team. I have always been scared about picking up some fa and they hurt the locker room and the team like a TO. Even Haynsworth is a great player to have but would be scary to have on the team cause we dont have issues like that. We have down to earth guys like Andre Johnson who just goes out there and gets the job done so does Demeco, Robinson and Mario. Those are all great players with great attitude. Let these guys keep leading the way and teaching the team with the players we have and new young guys coming out of the draft and not some veteran from another team who thinks he knows more and wants all the attention.

it just depends man...

u want to be a good character team....with standup citizens and nice guys who miss the playoffs year after year...because with this team as is we are not sniffin the playoffs being a realist...and drafting a winner would still put us 2 or 3 years down the line before we can really truely compete

and i really dont think that we can afford with andre johnson, schaub, demeco, mario and others to waste some of there best years on 8-8 finishes.....we need to start competing fairly soon

for all the trouble some big name free agent is....we could easily be good very quick with a tweak here or there from a BIG SPLASH free agent......

us getting a free agent like a peppers, suggs, otogwe, raiders corner, or a haynesworth is not a waste of money at all as it would really propel this team

BigBull17
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm just saying that Haynesworth (or equivalent) + moving Amobi outside>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> signing a LE and not finding an athletic buffet vaccum for the middle.

Mike

I like the idea of Amobi outside. He gets overpowered too much at DT. He is a decent pass rusher, and could have a power advantage over some RT.

BigBull17
01-09-2009, 09:47 AM

But, it still is a pretty serious njury. The main point I was making, is that he missed a season, and his back up had the same production he had. Edge was a system guy, where its hard to commit to the run when Peyton is taking the snaps. He's also on the wrong side of 30.

it just depends man...

u want to be a good character team....with standup citizens and nice guys who miss the playoffs year after year...because with this team as is we are not sniffin the playoffs being a realist...and drafting a winner would still put us 2 or 3 years down the line before we can really truely compete

and i really dont think that we can afford with andre johnson, schaub, demeco, mario and others to waste some of there best years on 8-8 finishes.....we need to start competing fairly soon

for all the trouble some big name free agent is....we could easily be good very quick with a tweak here or there from a BIG SPLASH free agent......

us getting a free agent like a peppers, suggs, otogwe, raiders corner, or a haynesworth is not a waste of money at all as it would really propel this team

We also are finally in a position where we are just a few players away from a serious push. Thats when you go after the big dogs.

jshabang
01-09-2009, 11:17 AM
We also are finally in a position where we are just a few players away from a serious push. Thats when you go after the big dogs.

my point exactly

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I like the idea of Amobi outside. He gets overpowered too much at DT. He is a decent pass rusher, and could have a power advantage over some RT.

I don't think so.

Amobi just needs to be used in the right scheme in a way that suits his talents. In other words, it's up to the coaches to put him in a position to make plays. He's got the talent to be a very good DT. But he needs to be used as a penetrating, chaos causing DT not a read and react, soak up blockers DT. He's not strong enough for the latter and he's perfect for the former. Smith's defense had him in a read and react mode 90-95% of the time.

If everything were up to me, I'd do this on the line:
1. Move to a more aggressive, get up the field and THEN read/react scheme that causes chaos and emphasizes the quickness of our linemen.
2. Move Mario primarily over the RT where I think he has the majority of his success.
3. Draft a really fast DE for the other side.
4. Get a bigger/stronger DT either through FA or the draft OR through the development of guys we've already got. OR, if we can get another quick DT like Amobi, go to a scheme with both DT's trying to get penetration but that would be a fallback position for me.
5. Use Amobi as stated above just shooting gaps and not really trying to engage the olinemen.

But, that's just me.

gary
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
it just depends man...

us getting a free agent like a peppers, suggs, otogwe, raiders corner, or a haynesworth is not a waste of money at all as it would really propel this teamThis is so true. I think a lot of AJ's good play came from having a vet as a teacher in Eric Moulds in training camp and the the samething goes as far as having a vet player on the D side of the ball. That would teach players and bring leadership to the team.

leebigeztx
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
The texans need a impact playmaker on defense this year to add to mario. They will have some money and they are 1 impact guy away. There are some mid level guys, but the texans are close enough to smell it and has to get it.

The list is usual, peppers,suggs,nmandi,and hanesworth. All 4 are high impact difference makers, all 4 can't be franchised again. Peppers was never franchised, but if the panthers try to do it, he will count 20m against their cap. No team, especially a team against the cap can afford to tie up 20m on a franchise tag. Suggs,Nmandi, and Haynesworth all met the conditions to not get franchised again.

ChampionTexan
01-10-2009, 12:50 AM
The texans need a impact playmaker on defense this year to add to mario. They will have some money and they are 1 impact guy away. There are some mid level guys, but the texans are close enough to smell it and has to get it.

The list is usual, peppers,suggs,nmandi,and hanesworth. All 4 are high impact difference makers, all 4 can't be franchised again. Peppers was never franchised, but if the panthers try to do it, he will count 20m against their cap. No team, especially a team against the cap can afford to tie up 20m on a franchise tag. Suggs,Nmandi, and Haynesworth all met the conditions to not get franchised again.

Asomugha can be franchised again:
But the Raiders can trump that leverage by applying the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugha in February. That would obligate the Raiders to pay Asomugha $11.718 million for 2009 — if Asomugha signs it — in exchange for protection against anyone else making an offer to the star player.Source (http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_11234099)

Suggs can be franchised again:
The quickest answer would be to sign an elite free agent, notwithstanding the risks that go with paying inflated prices on the open market. Three game-changing defensive linemen are scheduled to be free agents this offseason: tackle Albert Haynesworth of Tennessee and ends Terrell Suggs of Baltimore and Julius Peppers of Carolina.

Published reports suggest there’s almost no chance of Suggs or Peppers hitting the open market — both either will be re-signed or be designated franchise players.Source (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081227/PKR07/81227032/1989/GPG02)

Whether any of them will be franchised or not can't be predicted with certainty right now - although most folks seem pretty certain that Asomugha will have the tag placed on him again.

Being franchised once doesn't preclude you from being franchised again - unless you negotiate specific conditions precluding it into the contract you finally sign. Haynesworth's 2008 contract included those specific conditions, Suggs and Asomugha's didn't.

gary
01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
With how some of these teams with these FA are close to winning the big game some of the FA probably want to stay with their team.

Hervoyel
01-10-2009, 11:42 AM
With how some of these teams with these FA are close to winning the big game some of the FA probably want to stay with their team.

That's the thing. Example: Is Ray Lewis going to leave Baltimore? Of course not. He's going to get another ring this year and he's the most prominent player on the best defense there is. He's going to stay there and keep winning and keep trying to get one more ring as long as things stay the same there.

It's when he's no longer going to be paid like he thinks he deserves that he chooses to leave and then the Ravens let him walk and some stupid franchise comes along and overpays for a Ray Lewis who is nowhere near the player his name leads you to believe he is. Even when they do leave their team with something left in the tank nine times out of ten you don't have the supporting cast to let them be the player they could be.

Free agents are risky. Old free agents are downright dangerous and can screw your team and your salary cap up bigtime.

Even with younger guys it's important to remember that young, talented free agents rarely leave their team without there being a reason of some sort that you really want no part of. Sure sometimes you got a guy who just manages to shake free by meeting incentives or whatever and he wants to go test the market and see who will way overpay for him. Usually though unless he's coming from a franchise in crazy-world (Raiders) or has just developed some bad blood with his original team he'll be re-signed by them.

Most of the best guys we all keep talking about will be franchised or reach an agreement with their original team. One or two will either want to go play for a winner close to making a title run or be willing to pay for the "dog" who offers the biggest, stupidest contract you can imagine.

Specnatz
01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Most of the best guys we all keep talking about will be franchised or reach an agreement with their original team. One or two will either want to go play for a winner close to making a title run or be willing to pay for the "dog" who offers the biggest, stupidest contract you can imagine.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

beerlover
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
the NFL is more static than other major professional sports. this feeds the fan needs for attachment & belongingness. We look forward each year to see how the team performs wearing jerseys of our favorite players & investing our own bank, time & resources to support this passion/love affair.

If a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached that opens gateway, making it easier for agents to move players & shop services, the NFL could lose its strong fan support it currently enjoys. Big market teams would crop up, just like in baseball, heck just look north I-45 to Dallas @ all those contracts what kind of hard cap do you think they fall under? thats nothing compared to what it could become if the NFL & its owners give an inch to those greedy sports agents/lawyers creating a new breed of money grubbing players looking for bigger paychecks (meaning bigger ticket prices) without regard for fans (see Brett Farve) the organization or values & principles thats made the NFL so attractive to so many.

All that said the best course of action in Free Agency is for the Texans to lock up thier own current & soon to be FA to long term contracts like they have with Pitts, Winston & Andre Johnson already. Mario Williams & DeMeco Ryans should be first, then Dunta Robinson. from there you fill in best you can, draft smart & stay the course with better coaching, shrewd personel department aquisitions of non tendered free agents & out scout rest of the competition in Aprils Draft (my favorite aspect of being a fan of the Texans) :specnatz:

Runner
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
There are a few things that should make Houston an attractive spot for FA.

1. No State income taxes
2. Top Notch Facilities
3. If injured some of the best doctors in the country
4. Houston/Texas food
5. Texas has some of the most beautiful women in the world.
6. Cap room and a good core of players starting to emerge.

Houston has what it takes but the bigger question is will they pull the trigger on a big name guy? I'm no saying max the cap out but if we got it let's use it wisely.

Of all the reasons you listed, I only agree that the first plays any role in free agent signings - lower taxes mean more money in the pocket.

Top notch facilities are more a factor in the heads of local fans than in those other teams' free agents.

The doctors don't matter because the players travel to the experts when that is needed.

Food and women aren't that much different here and are just a matter of opinion anyway.

8-8 isn't good enough to attract those free agents who value winning along with the money, because it isn't winning.

Free agents go after the money; anything else is usually a minor consideration.