PDA

View Full Version : Justice Column

nunusguy
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Kubiak didn't understand why someone would be smiling after a loss. He thought smiling meant that Riley was fine with losing. All it really meant is that there are a lot of things Kubiak doesn't understand.
He also doesn't seem to understand the importance of strength training to a successful NFL team. (He also doesn't understand the stupidity of having training-camp practices in the heat of the day. He believes players can be conditioned to deal with the heat. They can't. There's a mountain of research about this. Whatever.)
Joe Gibbs did understand. He gave Riley the power of a coordinator. If Riley told Gibbs a player lacked the right kind of work ethic, Gibbs usually got rid of that player.
Speaking of Rick Smith, my favorite moment was one I've heard from a couple of players. In his first team meeting, he told them that if they needed inspiration they should just look at him.

''I'm only 33 years old and the general manager of an NFL team,'' he supposedly said.

Those linemen that play with broken bones and torn tendons were really impressed with that statement. If he keeps making mistakes in free agency, he won't be a GM for long.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/01/kubiak_fires_2.html
In current entries in his blog, the Chrons Richard Justice takes strong exception to the decision not to retain Riley. Actually, he loads up and blasts at Kubiak & Smith with both barrels.

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Typical Justice shock jock.

He also doesn't seem to understand the importance of strength training to a successful NFL team. (He also doesn't understand the stupidity of having training-camp practices in the heat of the day. He believes players can be conditioned to deal with the heat. They can't. There's a mountain of research about this. Whatever.)

You have to be an idiots, as in too stupid for just one person, to believe you don't get acclimated. Does that mean working out in 90 degrees becomes just like working out in 70 degrees on your body, of course not, but on the other hand you aren't dropping from heat prostration halfway through practice either.

Players did sometimes get strong in the off-season, but they lost that strength as the season wore on because coaches refused to give up their precious practice time for training they didn't understand.

Well Dickie, that must explain why the Texans have played best at the end of each season under Kubiak--they are weaker. Stupid.

dalemurphy
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
From today's Richard Smith Blog on Chron.com, in response to a comment:

[Rick Smith had a personal grudge against Dan Riley and wanted him gone. Gary Kubiak could have kept Dan Riley if he'd chosen to do so. Rick Smith doesn't tell Gary Kubiak who to hire for his coaching staff. It's true Rick Smith wants his own people. He's very insecure. He may know he's not any good at his job.--Richard]

Wow, I'm guessing there's something going on there. Perhaps he's been locked out from team access by Rick Smith or something? anybody know the story?

HOU-TEX
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM

[Rick Smith had a personal grudge against Dan Riley and wanted him gone. Gary Kubiak could have kept Dan Riley if he'd chosen to do so. Rick Smith doesn't tell Gary Kubiak who to hire for his coaching staff. It's true Rick Smith wants his own people. He's very insecure. He may know he's not any good at his job.--Richard]

Wow, I'm guessing there's something going on there. Perhaps he's been locked out from team access by Rick Smith or something? anybody know the story?

Yeah, Justice is a clueless asshat that douches with moron sperm. :)

The Dude Abides
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I read that. It came across as incredibly petty, something that Justice has been doing a lot of these past 6 months or so.

ChampionTexan
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

His comment on 1560 this morning was "Dan Riley was fired because Rick Smith is an insecure creep". I would say it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black, except that I don't believe Rick Smith is an insecure creep.

At least part of what's spurring this is that before he joined the Texans, Riley was in D.C. with the Redskins, and while I don't know if they are friends or not, dickie j. developed a liking for him while writing for the Washington Post.

RTP2110
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, that was maybe the worst blog I've ever read. I'm not even going to go into how bad he makes himself look.

Errant Hothy
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
So Justice is an asshat, and a jealous one at that, what else is new?

Texans_Chick
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
This is all about whether someone is a Friend of Justice or Not.

Friend of Justice cannot do any wrong. RJ will defend that guy no matter how little production that player, staffer, etc does, because he is a FOJ.

If someone is not a FOJ, he will saying completely unreasonable things about him (see Alex Gibbs, Mario Williams) and use unsourced criticism of that guy to rail on him without asking the person being criticized for comment (the article criticizing Kubiak-Smith for not extending Riley's contract). Non-media bloggers show more discretion than that.

This doesn't just happen for the Texans, he does the same thing with the other sports.

Haha with the commenter who corrected Justice stating that Riley and Kubiak have the same number of Super Bowl rings.

El Tejano
01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Well all I have to do is look at the amount of players we had on IR from 2002-2006 and then look at the amount of players we had on IR from 2006-2008. This past year we had all of our lineman finish an entire season. I believe it was also Gary Kubiak that pulled players from practices for rest and didn't even play them a whole lot if he could sense fatigue. Those were his calls and not our titled strength and conditioning coach's.

How can anyone call Rick Smith a bad GM? His drafts produce starters and players contributing to two 8-8 teams over the last 3 years. Everyone misses in FA, just ask Dallas.

GlassHalfFull
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
This column is especially humorous, since it follows the bj he gave to the Longhorns and McCoy.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/01/go_ahead_and_ad_1.html

When you read those two blogs back to back, it truly makes you wonder how he still has a job.

The Dude Abides
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
This column is especially humorous, since it follows the bj he gave to the Longhorns and McCoy.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/01/go_ahead_and_ad_1.html

When you read those two blogs back to back, it truly makes you wonder how he still has a job.

I think he links to other journalist's articles to see what legitimate writing is all about.

Don't forget the whole deleting of comments tirade he had with Steph a while back. Class act, ol Richard Justice.

Porky
01-07-2009, 01:37 PM

You have to be an idiots, as in too stupid for just one person, to believe you don't get acclimated. Does that mean working out in 90 degrees becomes just like working out in 70 degrees on your body, of course not, but on the other hand you are dropping from heat prostration halfway through practice either.

Well Dickie, that must explain why the Texans have played best at the end of each season under Kubiak--they are weaker. Stupid.

I think you took that totally out of context. He was referencing the old days prior to every team having a stregth coach. He was saying players would work out on their own, but because there was nobody there during the season, they would lose it as the season progressed. He was not referring to the Texans at all.

I'm not defending the blog post, but just wanting to correct the record.

imatexan
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
He should just stick to baseball, I think he does a good job following the Astros but not any other sport.

TexanSam
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Before Richard Justice calls someone insecure without providing much support for it, he should probably look at himself first. RJ is the most insecure sports writer I have read.

disaacks3
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm w/ Steph here - If you're a FOJ, it's for LIFE! (maybe it's something like the mark of the beast?)

Justice is the same guy who never liked bringing in Rick Smith in the first place, because that meant getting rid of another FOJ in Casserly.

With that current blatant PERSONAL attack "Rick Smith is an insecure Creep!" - the Texans might think about giving Dickie-boy a one-year "cooling off" period before being allowed back on the premises.

HoustonFrog
01-07-2009, 02:34 PM
You have to be an idiots, as in too stupid for just one person, to believe you don't get acclimated. Does that mean working out in 90 degrees becomes just like working out in 70 degrees on your body, of course not, but on the other hand you are dropping from heat prostration halfway through practice either.

You beat me too it Infantry. This article shows what an moron Justice is. You work out in the heat not to get used to the heat where you feel great in it but to play in extreme conditons in order to improve conditioning while acclimating to it. We used to have 2 a days in high school for a week at this camp in Granbury, Tx and it was hell. The field was not really a field but sand/grass and burrs. We practiced when you could see the heat coming off the field. It didn't make us immune to the heat where we liked it but it made us better in the 4th quarter of a game because we were used to it and were conditioned in it. We were always the stronger team and not panting. We didn't like the humidity and the heat but were acclimated to it.

Polo
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I actually do think working out in the heat helps you get used to it...I'm not sure about the biologicals surrounding it, but when I went to Florida to play ball there were some guys there from various places in the US....

Being from Houston the heat and sun didn't bother me one iota....But there were come guys from Northern areas like Ohio, Philly, Chicago and it really bothered them...

Even if it's only from a mental aspect I think that if you're used to playing in the heat you become conditioned to it...

Malloy
01-07-2009, 02:40 PM
With that current blatant PERSONAL attack "Rick Smith is an insecure Creep!" - the Texans might think about giving Dickie-boy a one-year "cooling off" period before being allowed back on the premises.

Personally I would call my lawyer :)

Mr. White
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
FWIW I'm pretty sure that Justice was buddies with Riley from when he was a writer in DC.

That might explain why he's taking this a little hard.

After reading aj's column (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner) today, I'm totally convinced they made the right call in parting ways with him.

Texans Pride
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey can someone cut and paste the enitre article please? I'm at work, and they have firewalled anything with the word blog in it. . .I'm really surprised they let me come here lol.

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
The Texans have 16 games and play in an indoor stadium that has a policy to have the roof closed when there is stifling heat. I just do not get where the advantage lies for the Texans to practice in the heat and humidity of Houston. Repetition, timing, conditioning, weight training and film can all be accomplished without the exposure to the elements of Houston.

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
The state of Houston Pro Football journalism can be summed up with one sentence: John McClain has forgotten more about football than Dick Justice ever learned via his Charlie Casserly Pop Warner Starter Kit.

Polo
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
The Texans have 16 games and play in an indoor stadium that has a policy to have the roof closed when there is stifling heat. I just do not get where the advantage lies for the Texans to practice in the heat and humidity of Houston. Repetition, timing, conditioning, weight training and film can all be accomplished without the exposure to the elements of Houston.

I think that when you practice in adverse conditions it makes gameday "easier"...

I don't know if Kubiak is getting them acclimated to the heat as much as he is taking advantage of it...

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I think you took that totally out of context. He was referencing the old days prior to every team having a stregth coach.

Good catch Porky--re-reading it, I think you are right. Retract that part of the rant.

You beat me too it Infantry. This article shows what an moron Justice is. You work out in the heat not to get used to the heat where you feel great in it but to play in extreme conditons in order to improve conditioning while acclimating to it. We used to have 2 a days in high school for a week at this camp in Granbury, Tx and it was hell. The field was not really a field but sand/grass and burrs. We practiced when you could see the heat coming off the field. It didn't make us immune to the heat where we liked it but it made us better in the 4th quarter of a game because we were used to it and were conditioned in it. We were always the stronger team and not panting. We didn't like the humidity and the heat but were acclimated to it.

Yup, don't know about studies but personal experience says he is FOS. Used to mountain bike race. Trained early in the morning and then hit a mid-day first race near 100 degrees. Just about heat prostrated myself. Swapped to training after work, went out for the next race and banged it out no problem.

We play away games in such places as Miami and Jax that do not have roofs. Even up north early in the season, temperatures and humidity in places like DC can match the ones in Houston.

Goldensilence
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
My take: Little Richie is still mad we didn't take Vince Young and lost what little ability to write professionally and objectively about his local pro football team. It's one thing to disagree with a draft pick but Richie pretty much made it personal and I am willing to bet Richie got cut off as much as possible by Rick's staff. I don't blame Rick either.

Far as Riley goes it was probably still one of Richie's few ins with the organization as well. If Riley is so well respected and liked around the league then he shouldn't have too much trouble finding his next job. I'm not mad at he guy but I do think it is time to part ways and it's good to see Rick Smith cleaning house some. Now if he can part ways with the director of pro scouting well then he'd have the trifecta this offseason in staff overhaul.

Polo
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
We play away games in such places as Miami and Jax that do not have roofs. Even up north early in the season, temperatures and humidity in places like DC can match the ones in Houston.

Good point

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM

A unit will play ~1,000 plays over the course of the season. The first 8 games of the year will yield ~500. Divide that by 8 and we are talking about 62.5 snaps every Sunday, with the ability to sit in cool zones when not on the field of play.

When we look at next year's schedule, we have three of eight away games that will be in Domes.

I would rather see guys run ragged indoors and fully take in the coaching and nuance, than run at medium pace in the heat and humidity. I just do not see where the advantage is come game day.

gtexan02
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
A unit will play ~1,000 plays over the course of the season. The first 8 games of the year will yield ~500. Divide that by 8 and we are talking about 62.5 snaps every Sunday, with the ability to sit in cool zones when not on the field of play.

When we look at next year's schedule, we have three of five away games that will be in Domes.

I would rather see guys run ragged indoors and fully take in the coaching and nuance, than run at medium pace in the heat and humidity. I just do not see where the advantage is come game day.

I remember reading last year that one of the reasons they prefer practicing outside is because its on real grass, rather than the turf they use in the bubble. A few of our players were held out of indoor practices specifically because they didn't want to aggravate nagging injuries

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM

It isn't like they have every practice outside. They mix it up. I think all indoors would be an incredibly poor choice. It does help to be used to performing the same tasks in the environment. Balance sure, but not one or the other.

I remember reading last year that one of the reasons they prefer practicing outside is because its on real grass, rather than the turf they use in the bubble. A few of our players were held out of indoor practices specifically because they didn't want to aggravate nagging injuries

Good catch. Kind of like when the reporters starting asking the players about replacing the grass in the stadium because it didn't "look good enough" on game day. The players resoundingly said no.

nunusguy
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
His comment on 1560 this morning was "Dan Riley was fired because Rick Smith is an insecure creep".
You guys say such mean and hurtful things about Richie, you should be ashamed of yourselfs.
Seriously, did he really call Smith a "creep" this morning on 1560 ?

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
It isn't like they have every practice outside. They mix it up. I think all indoors would be an incredibly poor choice. It does help to be used to performing the same tasks in the environment. Balance sure, but not one or the other.

Of course all indoors would be a poor choice. I am simply stating that I do not see an advantage in practicing in the heat to get goodness during game day. I cite Steelers 2005 as my example.

Altitude and cold weather, are a whole different story in my opinion and experience.

Porky
01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok, here's a stupid point perhaps - but don't the Texans usually practice early in the day, and then at night? I mean do they usually practice at 2 or 3 in the afternoon? I don't remember that if they do, but Justice seems to imply that by saying they practice in "the heat of the day". To me, you can't make a case that the heat of the day lies before noon or after 6pm in August.

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok, here's a stupid point perhaps - but don't the Texans usually practice early in the day, and then at night? I mean do they usually practice at 2 or 3 in the afternoon? I don't remember that if they do, but Justice seems to imply that by saying they practice in "the heat of the day". To me, you can make a case that the heat of the day lies before noon or after 6pm in August.

They have three slots during which they schedule practices (no more than two used in one day)--morning, afternoon and evening. The most common outside practices are morning and evening. When they have afternoon practices they often, but by no means always, go inside the bubble. While the air temp may not be down a whole lot in the evening, the sun sure as heck is a lot less of a factor.

I am simply stating that I do not see an advantage in practicing in the heat to get goodness during game day. I cite Steelers 2005 as my example.

A 2-14 team getting manhandled in every phase of the game by a Super Bowl Champion team proves the temperature conditioning didn't work?

Altitude and cold weather, are a whole different story in my opinion and experience.

In my experience all three make a difference. None of this is definitive or measurable though. Too bad Schaub wasn't acclimated to cold weather though--maybe he could have hung 600 yds on Green Bay.

HOU-TEX
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Didn't they change the open practice schedule last camp due to the afternoon heat? Was that entirely for the fans?

dtran04
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Riley was 4 years late in doing dynamic warm ups. Research has shown that stretching while moving is better than sitting on the ground. Sad part is my division III tennis team was doing this years before a NFL team. His workout routine shown by Darius Walker on Wednesday with Walker is also suspect. They use a machines for almost everything. Most high school and college athletes wouldn't be caught using those machines or they would be laughed out of the building. I mean, he even used a machine for abs. Hopefully that segment was just a charade and not the real thing.

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
In my experience all three make a difference. None of this is definitive or measurable though. Too bad Schaub wasn't acclimated to cold weather though--maybe he could have hung 600 yds on Green Bay.

Altitude, would be for the body. Cold weather would have to do with getting acclimated to the equipment.

bigbrewster2000
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Riley was 4 years late in doing dynamic warm ups. Research has shown that stretching while moving is better than sitting on the ground. Sad part is my division III tennis team was doing this years before a NFL team. His workout routine shown by Darius Walker on Wednesday with Walker is also suspect. They use a machines for almost everything. Most high school and college athletes wouldn't be caught using those machines or they would be laughed out of the building. I mean, he even used a machine for abs. Hopefully that segment was just a charade and not the real thing.

Yeah and the Army started it at least 10 years ago as that is what we did in Basic Training and continues currently. Riley is a bit behind the times there.

GP
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
So...someone (Dan Riley or "the player being pushed") went to Justice about the smiling incident?

I'd bet it was Riley, and so therefore it looks like Riley is too busy being pals with a clown at The Chron than with the head coach. Cozying up to an antagonistic sports writer is never good.

Some people never graduate from high school. Justice must be one of those. I'd love to have his job. I'd settle for Texans Chick having his job.

This is dumb. Good riddance.

Jason Whitlock at foxsports.com, whom I normally don't agree with, said the best gig in America is being a washed up 40 or 50'ish white male. Couldn't agree more. And before you say he's racist on that comment...he included MALE in that opinion of his. John McClain and Richard Justice are no better than someone like Steph. Manfull is running circles around them, too.

There's no real reason why those two guys are really earning their paycheck and taking up space on the papers and internet. Richard Justice must know a lot about being protective of his friends when they get a boo-boo...because somebody is protecting HIM from getting axed.

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Rick Smith had a personal grudge against Dan Riley and wanted him gone.

This is poor journalism in my mind. If you can't describe anything about the source of the grudge then you don't know enough to allege it.

Edit--later in the comments he says he knows all the details but won't tell them--BS.

GP
01-07-2009, 04:55 PM
This is poor journalism in my mind. If you can't describe anything about the source of the grudge then you don't know enough to allege it.

Edit--later in the comments he says he knows all the details but won't tell them--BS.

Oh, I believe he knows details.

And it appears Dan Riley has been supplying them. They go back, way back, and so it's easy to see what's going on. maybe that's why Kubiak and/or Rick Smith fired him: They knew he was leaking, griping, seeking comfort in the form of venting to Richard Justice.

The only other person who could have leaked the smiling-after-a-loss incident is "the player who was being pushed in the weight room by Riley," but does anyone here think that the player is the one who went to Justice? Or was it the coach who has a long track record/friendship with Justice? I vote Riley.

Like I said: Good riddance.

And it IS poor journalism. Justice is acting the part of the snarky high school journalist who has snitches supplying him information. Why? So that more snitches come to him in the future, and so it gives him something to brag about having knowledge of. Petty stuff. He's better off writing for US magazine or PEOPLE magazine, etc.

Polo
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't know Kubiak personally but my spidey senses are telling me that the smiling in the weight room stuff is BS....

Something to that degree may have happened, but Justice wasn't there so he's giving out second hand information at best....

infantrycak
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Oh, I believe he knows details.

And it appears Dan Riley has been supplying them. They go back, way back, and so it's easy to see what's going on. maybe that's why Kubiak and/or Rick Smith fired him: They knew he was leaking, griping, seeking comfort in the form of venting to Richard Justice.

If Riley is the source then he should say so and provide the details. Principals should be quoted, not used as unknown sources to their own benefit. Once again, poor journalism.

GP
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know Kubiak personally but my spidey senses are telling me that the smiling in the weight room stuff is BS....

Something to that degree may have happened, but Justice wasn't there so he's giving out second hand information at best....

Or it was Riley acting like an ass by deliberately smiling and acting all chipper while doing his job with Kubiak walking through.

We know Kubiak is surly when things aren't right. He looks like he needs a laxative on gameday, even when it's going well.

You know, sometimes people will do crap like that just to poke a stick at a person if they think it'll push their buttons and make them flip their wig. Riley wasn't in the flow, he seems to have NOT been on-board with the overall gameplan or something, and so he was playing the role of antagonist. OK, for some of you out there: this is my o-p-i-n-i-o-n, ok? I am purely speculating...so please don't tell me I don't this for sure. Doy!

IMO, Justice is pissssed about his buddy getting the door, probably mostly due to ONE LESS PERSON GIVING JUSTICE INSIDE INFORMATION!

Like Cak said, though, it's poor journalism. You can name sources on this story, it's not like Riley could be thrown in federal prison or anything. It's just petty, petty, petty.

Kubiak should start inviting Justice to private meetings, cozy up to Justice and start giving a few true rumors and inside information. And then start giving him false info that blows up in his face the rest of the year. Twirp.

TexanSam
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
It seems like really weak journalism when Justice criticizes the Texans and Kubiak and Smith by using extremely vague sources. Of course Richard Justice has never been called a good writer before either.

TexansFanatic
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Justice scares me. I think he might be seriously nuts. He goes from talking about how the Texans suck, to talking about how they're on the right track and the two guys at the top (Kubiak and Smith) are the right men for the job, and then back to talking about how Rick Smith is thin-skinned and in over his head.

Someone tell me why I should ever listen to this guy or read his columns when he can't even agree with himself?

TexanSam
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Dan Riley has a radio show on 610. I wonder if he'll say anything about the firing this Saturday?

texanhead08
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Justice called Rick Smith a creep yet he defends Roger Clemens daily. I have heard it all now.

Texan JBZ
01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I think Richard Justice is trying to go Jay Mariotti and get fired by the Chron. He's doing everything possible to try and alienate every team in the city. He loves Uncle Drayton, but bags on him pretty hard too. Personally, I think he's an *****. He's too inconsistent in his opinions. I think he does it just to get a rise out of people. If that's the case, then he should be let go by the Chron because that's simply not good journalism.

GP
01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Dan Riley has a radio show on 610. I wonder if he'll say anything about the firing this Saturday?

Why would he still have a radio show after being fired from the Houston Texans?

"Hi, I'm Dan Riley. I just got fired, but hey...I'm still going to talk football. I got some real juicy bits of gossip to share, so let the calls begin!"

Wouldn't he suddenly be off the schedule at 610?

I couldn't see the program continuing with a fired coach at the helm, right?

LOL. That would be disastrous for the Texans FO: A fired coach on the air and ready to talk football.

nunusguy
01-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Justice scares me. I think he might be seriously nuts. He goes from talking about how the Texans suck, to talking about how they're on the right track and the two guys at the top (Kubiak and Smith) are the right men for the job, and then back to talking about how Rick Smith is thin-skinned and in over his head.

Someone tell me why I should ever listen to this guy or read his columns when he can't even agree with himself?

Don't be silly and really you don't get it ? He's working both sides of the "good cop, bad cop" routine to sell newpapers.
BTW next time you go to the wrestling match, here's a tip FYI - the matchs are all faked.

HoustonFrog
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't be silly and really you don't get it ? He's working both sides of the "good cop, bad cop" routine to sell newpapers.
BTW next time you go to the wrestling match, here's a tip FYI - the matchs are all faked.

With most people I'd agree but I think the guy is just an ass clown that really just talks out both sides because he forgets both sides and doesn't care. I've written the guy and blasted him in past years for his Purpura talk and he would write back defending them to the hilt and then have a totally different spin weeks later. I think he is just a Skip Bayless wannabe but be can't even be that annoying.

b0ng
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM

"Get it"? No, I don't "Get it". His schtick (stir pot, respond to comments in a condescending and flippiant tone, repeat x10, count hits and proclaim this to be a good column), is old and worn out. I imagine if the Texans hire somebody with a good resume for DC we'll see another column from Justice about how great of a front office exec Smith is, or how respected Kubiak is as a coach. It's pure drivel and it's predictable. People here might gripe and complain about how McClain mails it in all the time, but at least there is SOME IOTA of logical discussion about football, and not some high school grudge match against one Texans player/coach or another.

I know you like Justice (for whatever reason), but you're just trying to go upstream here. I don't think you're going to convince anybody that Justice is anything other than a hack, and really, the ballwashing you lay on this guy, I think you'd be better off just commenting on his blog so you can make him feel better.

Refer to sig.

TEXANRED
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow, Dick Justice sounds like a man who just saw his boyfriend get deported. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

dalemurphy
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM

At a wrestling match, everyone is in on it. When one wrestler slanders another they understand it's part of the same thing that they've signed up to do. This is what's going on here. Kubiak and Justice aren't coordinating with each other for entertainment's sake. Kubiak and Smith are working really hard to do some they believe is real and worth an inordinate amount of time and energy. Furthermore, they bare the weight of many others. I doubt seriously that it's an easy thing for them to do, to let go two guys they've worked with so intensely for the past three seasons. For RJ to be so cavallier and unconcerned with truth with his comments, is insulting to say the least.

Texans_Chick
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
If Riley is the source then he should say so and provide the details. Principals should be quoted, not used as unknown sources to their own benefit. Once again, poor journalism.

I know that Justice is trying to defend Riley, but in a lot of ways it ends up looking worse for Riley, even if he isn't the source.

Quiet dignified exits are the best ones. Messy ones lead to people questioning how you did your job.

TexansSeminole
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Here is a recent comment and response from RJ.

Wow Richard, your blogs and write-ups get worse and worse. It's just a matter of time before the Chronicle fires you. This is perhaps the worst bit of football journalism I have ever read.

[Really? I was actually pretty darned pleased with myself. Let's just say I heard from some people sitll on the payroll at Reliant Stadium, and they were pretty pleased with me, too. Well, heck. To each his on. You've really put a damper on this day. I might have known how it was going to go when I ordered a McDonald's Southern Style Chicken Sandwich for lunch and got a Fish Sandwich instead. I'm not complaining. I love 'em. But you know how you've got your taste buds primed for one thing and then you get another. It's a shock to the system.--Richard]

"Let's just say" this guy has some screws loose.

Haha look at that, he deleted his reaction to this person's comment. Perhaps someone else deleted it for him.

Specnatz
01-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Haha look at that, he deleted his reaction to this person's comment. Perhaps someone else deleted it for him.

OK so what the guy who mops the floors is happy with a RJ blog. Not dogging the guy who mops floors but RJ wrote it as if it is someone of importance at Reliant.

Errant Hothy
01-08-2009, 09:24 AM

The comment is still there, but Dick Justice's response is missing.

The think I find most interesting about this is the amount of venom being directed at Rick Smith. I had no idea, and I really don't read the Chron that much, that so many of the commenters thought so poorly of Rick Smith. I'm curious as to why,if anybody has any insight,

Also this struck me as odd;
Richard,
Your dead on about Rick Smith. He had the Texans Fan Blog shut down for a week because Thomas Hilton said the players didnt like him. Ive talked to several players as well, and TH was dead on.

Once again anybody got any details on this/

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2009, 09:31 AM
The comment is still there, but Dick Justice's response is missing.

The think I find most interesting about this is the amount of venom being directed at Rick Smith. I had know idea, and I really don't read the Chron that much, that so many of the commenters thought so poorly of Rick Smith. I'm curious as to why,if anybody has any insight,

I certainly do not, other than Mr. Hilton recently passed, so that comment has a whiff of conspiracy due to its non deniability given the untimely passing of the blogger.

dalemurphy
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I certainly do not, other than Mr. Hilton recently passed, so that comment has a whiff of conspiracy due to its non deniability given the untimely passing of the blogger.

Well, we all know, based on RJ's treatment of Stephanie a couple months ago, that he has a lot of respect for fan bloggers like Thomas Hilton. I'm sure he was really upset if this happened and fought hard for the guy.

By the way, I'm not really too concerned if some players don't like the General Manager. I would actually think, that's a neccessary reality. I doubt that Bill Polian is widely loved by the Indy players. That kind of goes with being GM, no?

GP
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, we all know, based on RJ's treatment of Stephanie a couple months ago, that he has a lot of respect for fan bloggers like Thomas Hilton. I'm sure he was really upset if this happened and fought hard for the guy.

By the way, I'm not really too concerned if some players don't like the General Manager. I would actually think, that's a neccessary reality. I doubt that Bill Polian is widely loved by the Indy players. That kind of goes with being GM, no?

Bob McNair seems to be an owner who thoroughly thinks through a potential employee's character traits and behavior. For the grief I give him, on the issue of not spending lots of dough on big-name coaches, he does have a quality of bringing in respectable people.

Therefore, why would McNair bring in Rick Smith if he sensed that Rick Smith is this monster that Justice is making him out to be? Wouldn't McNair see that at some point?

On the flip side, all Richard Justice has a history of is tearing people down and bullying them by using his journalistic privileges. He says one thing one week, then completely reverses field the next week. That's not good. That shows a lack of commitment to an idea or thought. It shows that he's a guy who feels no remorse for what he thinks, says, and does. There's no substance.

Even if you're wrong on something, at least fight for the idea and show a commitment to it. Then, at least, you can back off and say "OK, OK...I once felt that a,b,c and now I can see why so many were saying x,y,z..." But Justice just flips on the fly, writing as a different ego each time.

The real clowns are the ones who continue to allow Richard Justice to do what he is doing. That's the main problem, IMO. Who would let their columnist act this way? Simply amazing. No wonder our country is in turmoil. There's no commitment to excellence anymore.

The guy who mops the floors wants to be a "somebody" and he writes in with juicy gossip. The guy who wants to be a national media star, instead of focusing on responsible commentary, resorts to foolishness. Whatever you're doing in life, even if it's a temporary gig and not your "dream job," do it with all you have. Show some substance. Give it your all, and be content. I think Paul said something about being content in all things. Justice is striving for things out of his reach, and he's spiraling downward in a ball of flames IMO.

Polo
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I love the fact that the players don't like the GM...

That means he's doing job

TimeKiller
01-08-2009, 10:16 AM
You have to be an idiots, as in too stupid for just one person, to believe you don't get acclimated. Does that mean working out in 90 degrees becomes just like working out in 70 degrees on your body, of course not, but on the other hand you aren't dropping from heat prostration halfway through practice either.

As someone who spent 3 consecutive summers being outside 14 hours a day, I must say you get pretty used to it. I wasn't playing football, surely that is a more tiresome activity than mine but heat is something easily taken care of if you can think. Cool water, knowing the limit, acceptable lengths of rest in between work-outs....what kind of jealous a-hole who spends all day inside writing bash articles about teams that don't want him around doesn't know how to cool off?

Friends of Justice, UNITE!!!!

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM

How would Rick Smith get the Houston Chronicle's Fan Blog shut down?

So Justice is confessing the Chronicle lacks all journalistic integrity and shut down a feature on their site due to pressure by Smith?

Justice needs to see a proctologist to get his thong pulled out of his posterior--the frills seem to be chaffing.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
This is all about whether someone is a Friend of Justice or Not.

Friend of Justice cannot do any wrong. RJ will defend that guy no matter how little production that player, staffer, etc does, because he is a FOJ.

If someone is not a FOJ, he will saying completely unreasonable things about him (see Alex Gibbs, Mario Williams) and use unsourced criticism of that guy to rail on him without asking the person being criticized for comment (the article criticizing Kubiak-Smith for not extending Riley's contract). Non-media bloggers show more discretion than that.

This doesn't just happen for the Texans, he does the same thing with the other sports.

Haha with the commenter who corrected Justice stating that Riley and Kubiak have the same number of Super Bowl rings.

Justice has STILL never forgiven Kubiak for passing on His Royal Highness, so he takes every chance to take a jab at him. Until last year, we were breaking records for IR injuries. The trainers used a bodybuilder approach tto weight training, instead of the flexability/fluidity type workouts that protect your muscles and joints form popping like rubber bands.

IlliniJen
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Justice has STILL never forgiven Kubiak for passing on His Royal Highness, so he takes every chance to take a jab at him. Until last year, we were breaking records for IR injuries. The trainers used a bodybuilder approach tto weight training, instead of the flexability/fluidity type workouts that protect your muscles and joints form popping like rubber bands.

That's what I think about these firings. They're just too old school / old technique to keep up with better methods of training to maximize the performance of their players and minimize their injury risk. E.g. core strength and quick twitch training has been in "vogue" for awhile now, but the old trainers had them lifting weights on machines as a main form of training?

And regarding RJ...that guy is always a column or comment response away from a complete shame spiral meltdown. One day he's going to go Bette Davis crazy.

DoCRoN
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
This RJ discussion is too funny! Over a year ago I told my wife "Enough! Regardless of the topic, I refuse to read RJasshat's column ever again!"

Sometimes she'll be steamed at some article after reading the sports page. My first question? "Who wrote it, Justice?" The answer is usually yes. I just roll my eyes and laugh.

Does this kind of crap really help sell papers? I just don't get it. Criticize a team if they deserve it. But shouldn't real journalism be a part of the job description? I can't understand HOW this guy still writes for our only newspaper...

Carr Bombed
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
for our only newspaper...

That's the problem right there....... Nobody at the Chron gives a crap, they don't have to.

DoCRoN
01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
That's the problem right there....... Nobody at the Chron gives a crap, they don't have to.

Frustrating. And I just renewed my subscription for '09 yesterday...

I should cancel and take a stand. :foottap:

That would show 'em! Not.

4Texans
01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
With this kind of journalism from Justice, I'm kind of waiting for someone to stand up at a presser and have one of those "I'm a man" rant's like Gundy did at Okie State.:wacko:

That blog got rediculous....

Hardcore Texan
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
If you can't get used to heat then I must have been delirious spending a total of 8 months on 2 - 4 month deployments in the Saudi Arabian desert, one of which was during the hottest part of the year where it was routinely 120 + degrees outside. When I got there I couldn't stand to be outside for more than a few minutes, after two weeks or so I could work outside for hours as long as I stayed hydrated.

This whole blog by rj is just a grudge piece.

disaacks3
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
If you can't get used to heat then I must have been delirious spending a total of 8 months on 2 - 4 month deployments in the Saudi Arabian desert, one of which was during the hottest part of the year where it was routinely 120 + degrees outside. When I got there I couldn't stand to be outside for more than a few minutes, after two weeks or so I could work outside for hours as long as I stayed hydrated.

This whole blog by rj is just a grudge piece. I hear ya'! After 6 months in Kuwait, we had our first day of rain...dropped to 89 degrees. I had to find a coat to put on because I was shivering so badly. (According to Justice though, I can't possibly have acclimated to the 120-150F temps.)

Sometimes you wonder just how far up his posterior he actually digs for this stuff. I still say he needs a good BANNING...you simply shouldn't be allowed to call the GM a "creep" and expect to be credentialed again w/o an apology.

Hardcore Texan
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I hear ya'! After 6 months in Kuwait, we had our first day of rain...dropped to 89 degrees. I had to find a coat to put on because I was shivering so badly. (According to Justice though, I can't possibly have acclimated to the 120-150F temps.)

Sometimes you wonder just how far up his posterior he actually digs for this stuff. I still say he needs a good BANNING...you simply shouldn't be allowed to call the GM a "creep" and expect to be credentialed again w/o an apology.

Yeah, same here, when I landed in Philly and got of the plane it was 80 degrees outside and I was digging for a sweater in my bags I was so cold.

TimeKiller
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
What's sad is the only time I hear from this guy is when he stoops to new lows.

Really, how much does the S/C coach really affect the team on the whole? Can't be too overwhelming. This kind of dirty, low-punch article/radio show appearance should be saved for things that truly matter like getting Richard Smith Defense off the face of the Earth. Nope, just a columnist putting himself on an even plane with REAL GM's and Head Coaches as if they even give a hoot about his opinion. How hard can reporting the news be? It's not always glamourous, but news is still news and RJ is still RJ.

tedr
01-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Guess I've been out of the loop. What happened between Justice and Stephanie?

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Guess I've been out of the loop. What happened between Justice and Stephanie?

Short version ................

He said something stupid (I know a real shocker), she busted his stupid ass and he threw a tantrum (yet another shocker). Hundreds of people blasted him, he deleted all of her post and then said he did not know who she is. More people ragged on him, two weeks later Steph got her blog back at the Chron.

tedr
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Short version ................

He said something stupid (I know a real shocker), she busted his stupid ass and he threw a tantrum (yet another shocker). Hundreds of people blasted him, he deleted all of her post and then said he did not know who she is. More people ragged on him, two weeks later Steph got her blog back at the Chron.

Thanks- I didn't realize that had happened. Glad she's back on Chron.com.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks- I didn't realize that had happened. Glad she's back on Chron.com.

discussion about TC and dickie was on this thread (give or take a few pages)
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52866&highlight=stephanie&page=10

IlliniJen
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
discussion about TC and dickie was on this thread (give or take a few pages)
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52866&highlight=stephanie&page=10

That was pretty epic. All it proves is that a ton of people respect TC and the same can't be said of RJ.

Reading TC's comments over on RJ's blog and his response just cemented that they're in two different leagues when it comes to critical thinking and defending one's position. RJ was pretty classless back then and continues to present his junior high grudges and hurt pee pee as "journalism." Pretty shoddy work if you ask me and the Chron should be more responsible to its readership.

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
That was pretty epic. All it proves is that a ton of people respect TC and the same can't be said of RJ.

Reading TC's comments over on RJ's blog and his response just cemented that they're in two different leagues when it comes to critical thinking and defending one's position. RJ was pretty classless back then and continues to present his junior high grudges and hurt pee pee as "journalism." Pretty shoddy work if you ask me and the Chron should be more responsible to its readership.

That's the problem. It seems there is no journalistic integrity what so ever at there. McLame and pee-pee have not written anything in years that is thought provoking, intuitive or informative. They have written lots of silly fluff pieces, rehashed information and or hate filled writings that give the reader nothing new. I should also include that most of the writings are of the "No-Shit" variety. They are supposed to have access we do not and yet they come up with absolutely nothing that has not been said by someone weeks afterward.

tedr
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I used to enjoy Justice's writing, but he's such a flip-flopper. Hard to tell if he's serious about what he writes, or if he's just writing to get a reaction. I'm thinking it's mainly the latter.

His responses to people who write into his blog are pretty useless as well.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmmm--looking down the list of comments, there sure are a lot of names the same as for members here. Doesn't seem like any of the pro-Justice comment folks want to chime in here.

Wolf
01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
thank goodness for the internet .. what is with the Comical's "sports" guys trying to be hollywoodish

McClain "the general"
Richard Justice (aka "THE MEDIA")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Justice

who is giving them nicknames?

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
thank goodness for the internet .. what is with the Comical's "sports" guys trying to be hollywoodish

McClain "the general"

Somehow that was deleted.

Specnatz
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmmmm--looking down the list of comments, there sure are a lot of names the same as for members here. Doesn't seem like any of the pro-Justice comment folks want to chime in here.

I saw that as well. Interesting.

IlliniJen
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM

McClain "the general"

The "media" was is actually from RJ being an asshat to a caller or listener on the radio who said something and RJ went off the hinge and said something like "I'M THE MEDIA AND I DIDN'T KNOW." Basically saying that he knows more than your average bear because, well, he's the media and has insider knowledge. Which we all know is a crock when it comes to the Texans.

TEXANRED
01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
He rewrote the article. He toned it down but still says pretty much the same thing. He has gotten quotes from such stellar NFL players as Mark Bruener, Jeb Putzier, along with broken unable to perform players like Wong, and ND Kalu.

Yes Justice, I do want more.

He makes no mention of the 16 IR players of 2007, 17 players in 06, (which by the way I found an old Hilton fan blog on the subject from January 2007: http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/coaching/)

I couldn't find any info other than that but IIRC we have averaged at the top of the league year in and year out.

Also, while looking up I ran across another Hilton blog talking about Richard Justice. He linked the article he was talking about and I would only have to guess it was about Mario Williams cus he has since erased the article: http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/opining_and_rantage/)

Richard Justice, you suck worse than OU.

Scooter
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
richard justice has 5 pages on texanstalk with one of the dumbest blogs in houston history.

who won?

nunusguy
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm pro-Richie and I will gladly chime away.
But I'm a fan as much as anything from his limited time on 1560 as his efforts on the Chronicle. The guy has contacts and they grant him interviews many of which I've found informative and entertaining. Some of the more memorable include PTIs Wilbonn and multiple interviews with NFL-Draft guru Rick Gosselin.
Baseball of course is his specialty, and I'm just barely a baseball fan, but he can tell some great stories. And as a Cowboy fan he of course loves to tell stories about the Cowboys which annoys a lot of Houstonians who have this hate-envy/inferiority complex about the Cowboys. (get real fellow Texan fans - they are just like us which is no more than the third best team in their own Division, nothing special, the Cowboys are just a lot of hype).
And yea Justice is all over the place with his Chronicle articles & blog. But I contend that's mainly for commercial purposes: sensationalism or tabloid journalism is becoming more and prominent in an effort to be competitive and its a kinda throwback, almost a muckraker mentality from back in the day.

HOU-TEX
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
richard justice has 5 pages on texanstalk with one of the dumbest blogs in houston history.

who won?

QFT! Happens every time. :wild:

b0ng
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
This time I was able to stop myself from visitimg his shitty blog to read a shitty article with shitty responses to comments, and I was able to not give him his shitty page hit that I'm sure he writes articles like this for.

What I'm trying to say here is Justice is pretty shitty and not worth the time it takes to load his page.

Polo
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
And as a Cowboy fan he of course loves to tell stories about the Cowboys which annoys a lot of Houstonians who have this hate-envy/inferiority complex about the Cowboys.

Ok...

That takes care of about 20% of Houstonians...

What about the other 80% and the Non-Houstonians that dislike them?

Honoring Earl 34
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The only thing I'll add is the Titans , Steelers and such play much heavier than we do but weigh the same . Is this scheme , weight training , wrong players , or all the above . The injuries wreeked of bad training also .

Hardcore Texan
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM

I noticed the same thing as well. I tried very hard not to comment on the blog but just had to do it. rj is just plain turrible.

On a side note, I can't remember the last time I have seen so much whining from fans. These people sound like they would rather not have a team at all, complaining about the FO from top to bottom, all the coaches, etc. They are complaining about decisions they don't know how they will pan out. It's all premature and jumping the gun, people can just observe and be patient, they have to spout junk from their mouths. We don't know how good of a coach/GM combo we have or how it least it will be viewed down the road. They are in the middle of making or breaking that reputation right now. It's ridiculous, child like behaivor. Everyone on there needs to chillax and stop the freaking whining....geez.

The1ApplePie
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
That's the problem. It seems there is no journalistic integrity what so ever at there. McLame and pee-pee have not written anything in years that is thought provoking, intuitive or informative. They have written lots of silly fluff pieces, rehashed information and or hate filled writings that give the reader nothing new. I should also include that most of the writings are of the "No-Shit" variety. They are supposed to have access we do not and yet they come up with absolutely nothing that has not been said by someone weeks afterward.

I've worked with reporters from the Chron and from celeb-stalking rag TMZ.

Guess which reporters where more professional?

Marcus
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Well, I think anyone who has read my posts for awhile knows how anti-Justice that I am. He's a flip-flopping sensationalist hack and 99% of the time, the stuff that he writes makes me want to wretch.

The article he wrote about Dan Riley falls into that other 1%.

There are many on this board that disagrees with Justice, because they are the same ones who wrote posts saying Riley is the one responsible for the heavy rash of injuries in previous years, even though when it was explained to them in player by player detail how those injuries were not the result of Riley's "poor" strength and conditioning. It was nothing but sheer coincidence.

This past season's very light number of injuries proves that it was nothing but coincidence, hands down.

Now, I understand that in any business, if your boss has it in for you, eventually you're gonna get canned. But from reading the article, and seeing all the players speak out in support of him, I know he didn't fired for poor performance, but rather it was something petty.

And finally, I'd have to say that I've lost a lot of respect for Rick Smith.

Specnatz
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm pro-Richie and I will gladly chime away.
But I'm a fan as much as anything from his limited time on 1560 as his efforts on the Chronicle. The guy has contacts and they grant him interviews many of which I've found informative and entertaining. Some of the more memorable include PTIs Wilbonn and multiple interviews with NFL-Draft guru Rick Gosselin.

Baseball of course is his specialty, and I'm just barely a baseball fan, but he can tell some great stories. And as a Cowboy fan he of course loves to tell stories about the Cowboys which annoys a lot of Houstonians who have this hate-envy/inferiority complex about the Cowboys. (get real fellow Texan fans - they are just like us which is no more than the third best team in their own Division, nothing special, the Cowboys are just a lot of hype).
And yea Justice is all over the place with his Chronicle articles & blog. But I contend that's mainly for commercial purposes: sensationalism or tabloid journalism is becoming more and prominent in an effort to be competitive and its a kinda throwback, almost a muckraker mentality from back in the day.

He should be coming up with new stuff not stories from 15 years ago. Richard Justice could not get an interview with anyone in the Astros organization or the Texans organization now a days if he wanted to and his life depended upon it. He has written so many hate filled articles that the star players on these teams will not talk to him. Berkman and Mario think he is a joke and will not have anything to do with him, which causes even more hate filled rants on his blog and in his writings.

He is a columnist for the Houston Chronicle not the Dallas Morning news. If he wants to write an occasional piece about the girls, that is fine cause they do have fans all over the state, but he does write for a paper that is supposed to mainly cover the Texans in the NFL. He offers nothing but blogs filled with vile angst against the Texans because of his love for all things VY and now that his last sources of info with-in the Texans organization he will never get any info what so ever. Instead of covering the team legitimately, he has hate towards them and writes things to get the rest of the city to hate them.

Justice thinks he is better than he is because he has lost sight of being a journalist and he only wants to be a celebrity. He wants to be Jim Rome, but he is not funny or witty and will be nothing more than what he is. He reached his peak 5 years ago and his ego can not handle that.

Maybe you are more of a cowgirls fan than a Texans fan and that is why you like RJ and his stories of them and his hate filled blogs against the Texans.

Wolf
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Well here was the thread about Riley and the Texans wanted less injuries at the beginning of 2008

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51591&highlight=riley+strength

lots of info on that

Polo
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Something that I found interesting in the article that seems to go against things I've heard here came from a player who stated that Riley was always looking for new innovative ways to train.

edit: “You’d go in his office, and he’d have literature laid out in front of him. He was always trying to gain extra knowledge about training techniques, looking for ways to allow us to perform at our best.”

“He’s the best,” said Kailee Wong, a nine-year veteran. “No doubt about it. What’s unique is how much he cared about his players. Not only did he get you in the best shape to perform on game day, he also was looking out for your long-term health. He used science, Ph.D. science, stuff you’d never think of.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/texans-err-by-recklessly-firing-riley-bastin-190836.html

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM

I told him he was a hack and mentioned the conditioning stuff but he failed to print it under his blog. Would have made too much sense and he can't contend with that. I've always hated the guy. To me he really is trying to be a local Skip Bayless but without as much success. I don't buy that it is an act. I just think he is a moron who is wrong alot so he has to change his position because his first one was so far off.

Errant Hothy
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, I think anyone who has read my posts for awhile knows how anti-Justice that I am. He's a flip-flopping sensationalist hack and 99% of the time, the stuff that he writes makes wretch.

There are many on this board that disagrees with Justice, because they are the same ones who wrote posts saying Riley is the one responsible for the heavy rash of injuries in previous years, even though when it was explained to them in player by player detail how those injuries were not the result of Riley's "poor" strength and conditioning. It was nothing but sheer coincidence.

This past season's very light number of injuries proves that it was nothing but coincidence, hands down.

Now, I understand that in any business, if your boss has it in for you, eventually you're gonna get canned. But from reading the article, and seeing all the players speak out in support of him, I know he didn't fired for poor performance, but rather it was something petty.

I'm sorry, but 5 players (2 who are retired and 1 who was never a Texan) isn't enough to a sample group for me. Even the addition of one fromerly great, but now out of touch HOF coach in Joe Gibbs isn't enough for me.

Add to that the questions about his training methods that have been brought up here both now and in the past, and add to that the attacks directed at Rick Smith laced through out the article and it becomes much harder to lend any credance to the article being anything more then a RJ hissy-fit over one of his buddies getting fired. If RJ had just editted out all of the attacks on Smith, and Kubiak, and just written a peiced about how Riley's leaving is not a good sign I think the peice would have been more effective.

Texan JBZ
01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
You would think that the Texans just fired Johnny Holland or Chick Harris by the way that moron Justice is framing things. For Christ's sake, it was the Head Trainer and Strength & Conditioning Coach! In 31 other NFL cities, this isn't news. But only one city has a hack like Dick Justice writing for their local rag.

IlliniJen
01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry, but 5 players (2 who are retired and 1 who was never a Texan) isn't enough to a sample group for me. Even the addition of one fromerly great, but now out of touch HOF coach in Joe Gibbs isn't enough for me.

Add to that the questions about his training methods that have been brought up here both now and in the past, and add to that the attacks directed at Rick Smith laced through out the article and it becomes much harder to lend any credance to the article being anything more then a RJ hissy-fit over one of his buddies getting fired. If RJ had just editted out all of the attacks on Smith, and Kubiak, and just written a peiced about how Riley's leaving is not a good sign I think the peice would have been more effective.

I agree with this.

Let me ask this: OTHER THAN Justice, who else in Houston -- players, journalists or otherwise -- have reported on Rick Smith being disliked? I'm not all-knowing, so that's why I ask the question, but I only seem to hear it coming from RJ, or RJ contending that a 'player' told him.

Wolf
01-09-2009, 11:55 AM
well he made it to a story off the blog and corrected the age of Smith
(in his blog he said 33 years old and now in the article it is 36)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6201781.html

awesome AJ_Texans
For the record, Justice also called Bob McNair (and the orgainization) incompetent, petty, and stupid for not drafting Reggie Bush.
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2006_4107525

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM

If you recall, I was one of the ones saying many if not most of the injuries had nothing to do with S&C.

Having said the above, I don't think this statement can be made either. Riley changed their stretching methodology this season. That confounds drawing a conclusion.

Thing I noticed about the player comments was how much they liked him for his personality and caring. Heck, they may think he is the best just because he is fun to be around. I'm not even sure you can say the players know what's best for them on workouts. Actually the point of having a S&C staff is almost the assumption that they don't. So the fact that he is well liked doesn't mean his non-renewal (he wasn't actually fired) was not performance related. Since Justice won't tell us the details, we don't know Smith and Riley's purported conflict wasn't over methodologies and performance to begin with. I don't think it makes sense to say it was injury related, but I wouldn't be surprised to find Kubiak/Smith were underwhelmed by the strength gains of 2nd year players like Okoye, getting Matt in better shape, etc.

In any event, my main complaint is not the conclusion he came to that Riley should have been retained, but in the manner of expression and poor adherence to good journalism practices.

b0ng
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, I think anyone who has read my posts for awhile knows how anti-Justice that I am. He's a flip-flopping sensationalist hack and 99% of the time, the stuff that he writes makes me want to wretch.

Just because you disagree with justice most of the time doesn't mean your opinion is validated automatically if you agree with him. The fact is that riley has used out-dated methods to keep the players off of IR and to get them stronger. If we often didn"t have severe injury problems, then I would be more curious/upset at this firing. As it stands, I'm fine with the firing and RJ seems to want to use this as a springboard to tear down another person in the Texans FO.

Where was the heavy handed articles about Riley when his coditioning program was a failure (and I don't believe in 2 years of coincidence. 1 year maybe)? Oh yeah, that won't happen with a FOJ.

The dude just writing for reaction by saying Smith is insecure about his job and is not good. He wants those page hits.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Ok...

That takes care of about 20% of Houstonians...

What about the other 80% and the Non-Houstonians that dislike them?

They seem to make their way into every conversation. Just saying ;)

Porky
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Someone help me here. What's so bad about Rick Smith saying to the guys use me as inspiration since I made it all the way to GM at only 36. What's so laughable about that?

Polo
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
They seem to make their way into every conversation. Just saying ;)

Just how did they make their way into this conversation again ?

Hint: I didn't bring them up ;)

Hardcore Texan
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Someone help me here. What's so bad about Rick Smith saying to the guys use me as inspiration since I made it all the way to GM at only 36. What's so laughable about that?

What if he is talking to the players about inspiration and never giving up and said something like "anything is possible, heck, look at me, i would have never thought I would be an NFL GM at the age of 36"......and it gets twisted into the narccistic comment (at least 2nd or 3rd hand, and we know how that goes) into what rj is reporting. Why don't some readers consider that to be a possibility. Given the standards of journalism he holds himself to, I doubt he even bothers to make sure a direct quote he hears himself if reported accurately.

Reporting basically what amounts to hearsay as some sort of fact, coupled with a tantrum throwing, child-like rant along with insults such as the entire FO is incompetent and assuming Rick Smith is insecure, I feel pretty good and surmizing his work as complete donkey sh*!......but that's just me. The whole thing reeks of him trying to tarnish Smith and the FO's credibility.

IlliniJen
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
LOL...Diehard!

DiehardChris wrote:
"Sources familiar with the organization's thinking."
That is about the most pathetic citing I've ever seen in my life.

GP
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Thing I noticed about the player comments was how much they liked him for his personality and caring. Heck, they may think he is the best just because he is fun to be around. I'm not even sure you can say the players know what's best for them on workouts. Actually the point of having a S&C staff is almost the assumption that they don't...

Exactly.

Like a bunch of instantly rich guys in their 20s are going to be able to manage themselves in every area needed as an NFL player.

And I don't mind a bunch of instantly rich guys in their 20s being sad or upset that their best buddy (Riley) was fired.

Like Cak says: They probably liked him, he was probably a great person to be around, and so you don't like to see those sorts of people leave due to a firing.

But how else does an organization move on? You have to release those whom you think don't fit anymore. With his credentials, he's going to catch on somewhere even if it's not an NFL team...Riley is not going to be sleeping under a bridge anytime soon in the future.

And Justice is still a hack.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Just how did they make their way into this conversation again ?

Hint: I didn't bring them up ;)

I know, I'm just playing

BigBull17
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Exactly.

Like a bunch of instantly rich guys in their 20s are going to be able to manage themselves in every area needed as an NFL player.

And I don't mind a bunch of instantly rich guys in their 20s being sad or upset that their best buddy (Riley) was fired.

Like Cak says: They probably liked him, he was probably a great person to be around, and so you don't like to see those sorts of people leave due to a firing.

But how else does an organization move on? You have to release those whom you think don't fit anymore. With his credentials, he's going to catch on somewhere even if it's not an NFL team...Riley is not going to be sleeping under a bridge anytime soon in the future.

And Justice is still a hack.

Bingo. It's about taking the step from average to great. That means making changes.

Double Barrel
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Richard Justice loves you all. He actually got you to read his brain droppings, however lame they might be.

Kubiak is doing what he thinks is right for his team. You can choose to trust his decisions or not.

But this hack piece by Dick serves nothing but some personal grudge the man has against this organization, which has been clearly evident for years. The guy is an asshat.

Hardcore Texan
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Richard Justice loves you all. He actually got you to read his brain droppings, however lame they might be.

Kubiak is doing what he thinks is right for his team. You can choose to trust his decisions or not.

But this hack piece by Dick serves nothing but some personal grudge the man has against this organization, which has been clearly evident for years. The guy is an asshat.

So you didn't read it then?

Polo
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't know whether Justice is a lunatic or a moron.

He may actually have some valid arguments but they get lost inbetween sucks on his pacifier.

TexanSam
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
From the way Justice put it, you would think we just fired an all-time great coach. So his players liked him. Yippee! I'm sure they aren't completely distraught that he's gone though. RJ is trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
well he made it to a story off the blog and corrected the age of Smith
(in his blog he said 33 years old and now in the article it is 36)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6201781.html

awesome AJ_Texans

He also took out the part where he said Riley had more championships than Kubiak. Not true.

RJ: "Blah blah blah. Quoting people who like a likeable guy Riley. I will use this firing as an excuse to unfairly slag Kubiak and Smith because they won't return my calls. Wah."

Really, what in the Texans strength and conditioning and training program means that this you should pitch a fit about this? A blog post AND a column.

Errant Hothy
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Justice and his disgrace of an article are now onthe front page of the Chron's website.

Double Barrel
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
So you didn't read it then?

oh, he loves me, too. I had to read it so he would love me. :shades:

The dude will always be on the outside looking in with this kind of unprofessional presentation of his personal grudge(s). I look forward to reading his love poems about the Texans after this FO gets us over the hump and into winning territory. I'm sure Dick Justice will be sure to laud his own belief that he knew it all along, too.

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
The dude will always be on the outside looking in with this kind of unprofessional presentation of his personal grudge(s). I look forward to reading his love poems about the Texans after this FO gets us over the hump and into winning territory. I'm sure Dick Justice will be sure to laud his own belief that he knew it all along, too.

This kind of thing really proves he has little to no access to the Texans--maybe some individual players, but not the coaches/front office. You simply would not write an article in this style and attack the GM if you didn't know damn well your bridge was already burnt. The very same opinion would have been expressed professionally if he had a decent relationship with the team. The vituperative clown act shows he doesn't.

IlliniJen
01-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Justice and his disgrace of an article are now onthe front page of the Chron's website.

The Chron is one big huge staggering confirmation of the Peter Principle.

MojoX
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, I guess this piece is doing its job (getting page hits).

I stopped reading Justice right after Mario Williams was drafted. Since then I have only clicked a Chron link related to him once (and that was an accidental click). He adds nothing to the discussion (no insight, no inside tidbits) and I don't miss anything by not wasting the minutes it takes to read him.

I learn more about football and the Texans from these boards, especially from Vinny, Texans_Chick and the like.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
He rewrote the article. He toned it down but still says pretty much the same thing. He has gotten quotes from such stellar NFL players as Mark Bruener, Jeb Putzier, along with broken unable to perform players like Wong, and ND Kalu.

Yes Justice, I do want more.

He makes no mention of the 16 IR players of 2007, 17 players in 06, (which by the way I found an old Hilton fan blog on the subject from January 2007: http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/coaching/)

I couldn't find any info other than that but IIRC we have averaged at the top of the league year in and year out.

Also, while looking up I ran across another Hilton blog talking about Richard Justice. He linked the article he was talking about and I would only have to guess it was about Mario Williams cus he has since erased the article: http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/opining_and_rantage/)

Richard Justice, you suck worse than OU.

Actually, I wrote that article.

The link is dead because the Chronicle archiving system kills links. If you went to their archives for around that time, you could find it.

It's not worth doing. Basically, it was a silly little article about the success of the Saints that season. But it was written in a way to basically suggest the Texans were stupid for not taking Reggie Bush.

texanhead08
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
The same hack that would be ripping the Texans to no end for drafting a 3rd down back who avg's 3.0 yds a carry. You can't win with idiots like that.

76Texan
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Disclaimer:
I've never cared for Justice, personally!

But some of the quotes had me thinking.

Mark Bruener (who's definitely not a 20 yr old, LOL!)
"He's the best I've ever worked with... His only goal was to make the players better... He was always trying to gain extra knowledge about training techniques, looking for ways to allow us to perform at our best.''

N.D.Kalu (you'd think he's been around a few pros.)
"He was the aboslute best at what he did."

Mark Schlereth (picked at #263 by the Redskins. Ended up playing in 156 games, starting 140 in a 12-year career, splitting between the Skins and the Broncos. Retired after 2000 with 3 SB rings, one with Washington, two with Denver.)
"He was without question the best strength and conditioning coach I've been around at any level... bar none. Not even close. I credit him with my success early in my career."

Alex Gibbs:
"He's the best I've ever seen at what he did. I can't imagine anyone being as good as Dan."

Polo
01-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Joe

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Disclaimer:

But some of the quotes had me thinking.

Mark Bruener (who's definitely not a 20 yr old, LOL!)
"He's the best I've ever worked with... His only goal was to make the players better... He was always trying to gain extra knowledge about training techniques, looking for ways to allow us to perform at our best.''

N.D.Kalu (you'd think he's been around a few pros.)
"He was the aboslute best at what he did."

Mark Schlereth (picked at #263 by the Redskins. Ended up playing in 156 games, starting 140 in a 12-year career, splitting between the Skins and the Broncos. Retired after 2000 with 3 SB rings, one with Washington, two with Denver.)
"He was without question the best strength and conditioning coach I've been around at any level... bar none. Not even close. I credit him with my success early in my career."

Alex Gibbs:
"He's the best I've ever seen at what he did. I can't imagine anyone being as good as Dan."

So... with al the "at what he did" comments, you're saying that Riley... in his hey-day... was the man?

I could agree with that. The S&C techniques used by professional athletes in sports like football and baseball has frequently lagged behind. During the 90's, Riley was using techniques that were basically from the 80's and were fundamentally training techniques developed by and for bodybuilders. Other teams at that time were not even that advanced. So, during the 90's and possibly early 00's when he was still ahead of or near the edge of the curve (for professional sports), he was the man. He was the best there is.

But S&C for professional sports is starting to catch up with modern trends and Riley is still relying on those older techniques... until there's a TON of evidence to show him how wrong he is. And then he adopts the "new" technique which is kinda old by the time he adopts it... like the warmup/active stretching that he finally implemented this year.

Polo
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Not according to Kailee Wong. He basically said that Riley was always trying to stay ahead of the curve.

You’d go in his office, and he’d have literature laid out in front of him. He was always trying to gain extra knowledge about training techniques, looking for ways to allow us to perform at our best.”

“He’s the best,” said Kailee Wong, a nine-year veteran. “No doubt about it. What’s unique is how much he cared about his players. Not only did he get you in the best shape to perform on game day, he also was looking out for your long-term health. He used science, Ph.D. science, stuff you’d never think of.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/commen...in-190836.html

If he had any hand in getting Dunta back then I have to give him some props for that.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Another quote by Richie

Ephraim Salaam just called to say: ''He's the best I've ever worked with. He helped me revive my career. I couldn't have done the things I've done the last couple of years without him. I never liked lifting weights. He made me look forward to it. I was stronger these last two seasons than I've ever been.''--Richard

So making a workout fun is the key?So laughing jumping jacks is great but if they do no good and aren't the proper workout, who cares?

Polo
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Never mind the fact that he said he's stronger than he's ever been...

76Texan
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Not according to Kailee Wong. He basically said that Riley was always trying to stay ahead of the curve.

"He's the best. No doubt about it. What's unique is how much he cares about his players. Not only did he get you in the best shape to perform on game day, he also was looking out for your long-term health. He used science, Ph.D. science, stuff you'd never think of."

I have no idea what really transformed behind the scene.
I don't know how up-to-date Riley is techno-wise.
I only quoted what I thought make me ponder. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Wolf
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Another quote by Richie

So making a workout fun is the key?So laughing jumping jacks is great but if they do no good and aren't the proper workout, who cares?

revived his career was familiarity with the system that Kubiak was putting in place along with moving Pitts to guard and Black wasn't going to do much (among other things)

I would really like to hear from someone besides RJ if there really was a rift. I don't want to say he is making stuff up but we don't hear from anyone else on this. Besides I didn't think RJ had it THAT good with the Texans

Specnatz
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Disclaimer:

I bet I could go through and find that many who did not like his techniques. he was after all in this business for a long time. Maybe philosophically Rick Smith and Kubiak thought his technique was not the best for the Texans. There is more than one view as to what is the best strategy in strength and conditioning.

He printed what he wanted you to read, not that it was an informative piece. He was not going to print any views that differ from his appointed bashing and mudslinging. So believe what you want but just remember who wrote the article and his agenda.

Polo
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't see all these people coming out and saying he was a good trainer if he wasn't...He may have not been the most innovative, but I just refuse to believe he was as archaic and behind the times as he made to be on here....

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
revived his career was familiarity with the system that Kubiak was putting in place along with moving Pitts to guard and Black wasn't going to do much (among other things)

To be fair, Salaam was on 610 am last year and said Riley's program prolonged his career.

On the flip side, I am cynical about RJ now and some of these quotes look like they were solicited by him solely to address the feedback he got from his blog. Wonder if there were any comments that didn't fit his agenda and weren't printed.

I can't see all these people coming out and saying he was a good trainer if he wasn't...He may have not been the most innovative, but I just refuse to believe he was as archaic and behind the times as he made to be on here....

I have no doubt he was a good trainer either. I also have no doubt the Texans are entitled to believe they want the most modern techniques or even better performance/results and so can let him go without it being for the petty reasons RJ is alleging.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Never mind the fact that he said he's stronger than he's ever been...

Maybe it is because he wasn't as hurt as he has always been or the new techniques in blocking have saved him a little or whatever. I'm not saying that the guy didn't make people strong..afterall they are big and they lift and all...what I'm saying with that quote is that it was one of a few that mentioned "fun" or "enjoyable." I don't care if they hate the guy if they work hard, are conditioned and are getting the best methods in order to survive a season.

I think RJ is pushing the envelope for reasons to write a personal column.

Hooston Texan
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
This kind of thing really proves he has little to no access to the Texans--maybe some individual players, but not the coaches/front office. You simply would not write an article in this style and attack the GM if you didn't know damn well your bridge was already burnt. The very same opinion would have been expressed professionally if he had a decent relationship with the team. The vituperative clown act shows he doesn't.

Slight correction: I think this article really proves that he DID have sources on the Texans. Problem is that, in all likelihood, his sources were the guys who got canned. The post reads like the petulant rantings of a reporter who now realizes, "Crap, where am I going to get my anonymous quotes NOW?". The cited stories about conflicts with Smithiak almost certainly came from Riley/Bastin directly.

Whether Justice's tantrum is motivated by (1) genuine friendship with Riley/Bastin, (2) a sense of loyalty to guys who made his job easier by providing him anonymous tips/quotes and/or (3) frustration that his sources are drying up, I cannot say. But what I can say is that the piece is 100% the product of Justice's personal agenda. What a complete hack.

dalemurphy
01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
What I find most appalling about this is that Kubiak and Smith's graciousness is being thrown in their face. Not only that, but the respect and appreciation of many players that worked with these guys are being contorted into something entirely unintended.

It isn't a knock against Riley that perhaps Kubiak and Smith want to move in a different direction with the strength program. They've clearly been looking at this issue for at least 2 seasons and have decided on a new direction. Nobody has said anything to indicate that they don't appreciate the job Riley or Bastin have done. It's almost as if they are being chided into making a public case against these men... which, of course, Kubes and Smith won't do because they treat people with respect.

Finally, what a silly argument that regardless of who replaces these two men and the quality of the job they do, it's still a mistake to make the change!

76Texan
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
What I find most appalling about this is that Kubiak and Smith's graciousness is being thrown in their face. Not only that, but the respect and appreciation of many players that worked with these guys are being contorted into something entirely unintended.

It isn't a knock against Riley that perhaps Kubiak and Smith want to move in a different direction with the strength program. They've clearly been looking at this issue for at least 2 seasons and have decided on a new direction. Nobody has said anything to indicate that they don't appreciate the job Riley or Bastin have done. It's almost as if they are being chided into making a public case against these men... which, of course, Kubes and Smith won't do because they treat people with respect.

Finally, what a silly argument that regardless of who replaces these two men and the quality of the job they do, it's still a mistake to make the change!
This particular quote from an unamed former player is pretty strong. It worries me.

"He (Ricky) treated Kevin (Bastin) terribly. He was petty with him, and I'm not sure why. He just wanted him gone for some reason. He wanted his guy."

Think Ricky ought to explain that one a little bit?

infantrycak
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
This particular quote from an unamed former player is pretty strong. It worries me.

"He (Ricky) treated Kevin (Bastin) terribly. He was petty with him, and I'm not sure why. He just wanted him gone for some reason. He wanted his guy."

Think Ricky ought to explain that one a little bit?

Nope he shouldn't.

Funny how all the former players were named for their quotes and this comment was anonymous.

76Texan
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Nope he shouldn't.

Funny how all the former players were named for their quotes and this comment was anonymous.

Perhaps because it was too harsh ?
But I'd rather not try to come to any conclusion, or even make any inferement.

Why I think it's best for Ricky to choose to answer the accusation, or not!

Polo
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I have no doubt he was a good trainer either. I also have no doubt the Texans are entitled to believe they want the most modern techniques or even better performance/results and so can let him go without it being for the petty reasons RJ is alleging.

Absolutely.

I could care less about the fact that they fired him.

Just stating that I don't think he was a bad trainer based on some things I've read and things I've seen.

As I said earlier...If he had any hand in helping D-Rob come back from injury he gets major props for that...I don't see a reason to assume that he didn't have a part in that...

Also...When guys did get little minor injuries they usually were o.k to go the next week...Not too many nagging injuries that I can think of...That says something IMO...

And none of what I'm saying makes Justice any less of a Moron...

GP
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM
When a reporter tries to character assassinate a head coach AND the general manager of the team that plays in the city he reports in...then, IMO, you have the makings of a reporter who is having a public meltdown.

Why?

Because all his inside sources were fired.

And why is that causing his hissy fit? Because Justice has spent so much time sniping at the Texans from a distance, by using his inside sources as a crutch to stand upon. Kick the crutch out from underneath Justice, and he falls down. Justice seems to have taken the easy road instead of just reporting on the team like a normal reporter.

Kubiak and Rick Smith need to make Justice persona non grata. Period.

Revoke the media pass. Smile and wave bye-bye to the hack.

sbalderrama
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Maybe if they weren't "inside sources" they wouldn't have been fired. Maybe RJ is having a guilt trip.

Vinny
01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Getting away from Justice for a moment...I've defended Dan in the past since he pretty much teaches what I know and learned many moons ago myself, but there is some merit in the fact that his program is a better fit for weightlifters and bodybuilders than football players in this day and age (ok, so I may be late to the party on this one myself). I'm a little old school myself and haven't really gotten on that wagon before but I do see the logic in the move. Casserly didn't know how to use email and his strength coach learned his trade in the 70's....there is a thread of consistency here.

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Just stating that I don't think he was a bad trainer based on some things I've read and things I've seen.

I've been involved with strength training for about 10 years now (when I realized that I was going to die very young unless I made some serious changes in my lifestyle). I've done a lot of research into it. I've trained with some great strength coaches and worked with people involved with various aspects of the business. I've been on various forums with some of the great coaches of the day.

My main focus has not been football, it's been PL and general fitness. I've trained with one coach who was a strength and conditioning coach during the 90's at the Air Force Academy and that's about as close to training for football. I've talked about training with a lot of guys coaching olympic athletes.

Hearing from The Chron that we had one of the best S&C coaches who was on the cutting edge of training techniques made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Until I actually heard and saw some of the techniques and approaches he's using. Using machines and isolating muscles and the other things that he's doing... I can't even begin to tell you how against that I am. I've been against Riley since I learned about his beliefs wrt weight training.

And I don't care about anecdotal evidence. For any training regimen, no matter how simpleminded or flat out wrong, you can find people who will say all sorts of good things about it. To this day, there's a small group of people who swear by training regimens (like SuperSlow and HIT) that have been proven wrongheaded over and over again... and Riley appears to be a follower one of those regimens.

There's a reason why guys like Andre go back to Florida to train and don't follow Riley's approach.

IlliniJen
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Casserly didn't know how to use email and his strength coach learned his trade in the 70's....there is a thread of consistency here.

Obviously. And the Texans need to avoid hiring anymore people emerging from the space-time vortex.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Getting away from Justice for a moment...I've defended Dan in the past since he pretty much teaches what I know and learned many moons ago myself, but there is some merit in the fact that his program is a better fit for weightlifters and bodybuilders than football players in this day and age (ok, so I may be late to the party on this one myself). I'm a little old school myself and haven't really gotten on that wagon before but I do see the logic in the move. Casserly didn't know how to use email and his strength coach learned his trade in the 70's....there is a thread of consistency here.

To be fair, Riley did keep up with published science about what was effective and not effective.

The problem with that is that most studies of these sorts of thing do not look at what is best practices for NFL players. There are lots of things that may be the best way of doing things that haven't been studied one way or another.

I am not an expert on these issues though I have read quite a lot. And I also know what has worked and not worked for me, as a very amateur athlete. It seemed to me in looking at his program that it could make you strong at pushing individual weights around, but not necessarily the strength you need in movement. All the connective and balance things you need to have power in movement. Or even power during cardiovascular activity, which is different than power while sitting at a machine.

I've talked to trainers who I trust and they weren't too impressed with the Texans program as it was made public.

The flip side of that is that trainers have to train large groups of athletes in compressed time, so weight machines are ways to do that while minimizing the risk of improper form.

nunusguy
01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe you are more of a cowgirls fan than a Texans fan and that is why you like RJ and his stories of them and his hate filled blogs against the Texans.

get real fellow Texan fans - they are just like us which is no more than the third best team in their own Division, nothing special, the Cowboys are just a lot of hype

GP
01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe if they weren't "inside sources" they wouldn't have been fired. Maybe RJ is having a guilt trip.

Sort of. But I like your thinking.

The relationship between Richard Justice, Riley, and maybe a few others COULD have been a factor in the firing(s). Certain people were too close and intimate with Justice.

Leaking information to the press, over a long period of time, is (in my opinion) a sign of disloyalty. It shows that you have more allegiance to someone or something else, rather than to the leadership at the top. The difference between what you leak, though, is the hard part: Is it just differences of opinion, vision, and even personality and/or relationship differences? Or is it something ethical and moral that harms the organization by being hidden from public view? Undermining authority can be completely uncalled for in one instance, yet very necessary in other situations.

My first job out of college was with a very well-known organization, at least "well-known" within the world of those who own horses or compete in various sports involving horses. I had a pretty big job for being so fresh out of college. It was exciting. I had a great chance at moving up quickly. My boss answered to the BIG boss. One day my boss did something completely unprofessional and ethically atrocious that demeaned the ladies we worked with in the office. I was appalled, but I didn't run as fast as I could to rat him out. On a business trip, I was with one of the board members for the day...and he asked me how things were going in the office. I hesitated because I don't like to lie and he caught me off-guard. He knew something was wrong, and he ORDERED me to tell him. I finally gave in, after lots of pressuring and basically being told that I had no choice. When I got back to the office, my boss called me into his office at 5 p.m. on Friday and fired me. He said he needed people who were "team players" and who wouldn't try to be divisive.

So I know all too well what happens when you hang skid-marked underwear out on the backyard laundry line to dry. Getting fired from that place was the worst thing, yet also the BEST thing that ever happened to me. I didn't do anything wrong, my boss did. I should have confronted my boss (nicely), privately, in his office and let the chips fall where they may. Four years later my phone rang and it was that organization asking if I would come and interview for a public relations position. My boss had been fired, and they realized they had let me go improperly. I didn't even go for the interview. Not because I was scared. Because I had moved on. That was a chapter of my life that was closed. But it felt good to get some shred of closure out of the deal!

I think a portion of Riley's firing swung upon the relationship he had with an old friend, Richard Justice. And that's a lot of the reason for Justice's seething, enraged wording of his column on this issue. He knew there's a good chance it was his relationship with Riley that played a part in the firing, and he felt that it was horsecrap for that to be part of it. Guilt might be lurking down there.

Why have a coach, in such a remote and easily replaceable position to begin with, who can't help but sleep with the enemy? Richard Justice isn't trying to help the teams he covers (IMO). He's trying to bust them. He's trying to play that role of the angry journalist who will find the big scoop for his readers.

Yawn.

Rex King
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM

I think there's a good chance you and GP are right.

No way in heck should Rick Smith (or any GM in a similar situation) stoop to RJ's level in answering the accusations and give him the importance he so craves. That just destabilizes the team more and feeds the vultures and jackals.

Big Lou
01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Who do I dislike more Justice of Cornheiser????

Ummmmm, to tough to call they are both douche bags!!!!

infantrycak
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Interesting interview with Steve McKinney this morning. Fits perfectly with what has been discussed here. Said Riley is a great guy and fun to be around. Works especially well with older players. Studies all the time but is very set in his ways and isn't going to listen to anyone. Doesn't believe in two a day practices.

Here was the big one--doesn't believe what is done in the weight room translates to the football field so he isn't going to adapt anything done in the weight room to try to have it adapt to the football field. Sees them as two totally separate issues. Due to Steve's involvement with Velocity, they used to have debates about it. That seems like the philosophical difference that got him canned.

dalemurphy
01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting interview with Steve McKinney this morning. Fits perfectly with what has been discussed here. Said Riley is a great guy and fun to be around. Works especially well with older players. Studies all the time but is very set in his ways and isn't going to listen to anyone. Doesn't believe in two a day practices.

Here was the big one--doesn't believe what is done in the weight room translates to the football field so he isn't going to adapt anything done in the weight room to try to have it adapt to the football field. Sees them as two totally separate issues. Due to Steve's involvement with Velocity, they used to have debates about it. That seems like the philosophical difference that got him canned.

Awesome. thanks for the report. It really angers me that Justice reports the firing as a definite personal failing of Smith instead of even exploring the possibility of philosophical differences. What a turd! And only the classiness of Kubes and Smith allow for Justice's slander. He knows that they won't comment and criticize Riley publicly regardless of what is said about them.

Errant Hothy
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM

And the above is more then likely the real reaon Riley was fired, and if this is the case then it was the right move.

Despite what "The Media" may claim.

Spike
01-12-2009, 11:29 AM
When a reporter tries to character assassinate a head coach AND the general manager of the team that plays in the city he reports in...then, IMO, you have the makings of a reporter who is having a public meltdown.

Why?

And why is that causing his hissy fit? Because Justice has spent so much time sniping at the Texans from a distance, by using his inside sources as a crutch to stand upon. Kick the crutch out from underneath Justice, and he falls down. Justice seems to have taken the easy road instead of just reporting on the team like a normal reporter.

Kubiak and Rick Smith need to make Justice persona non grata. Period.

Revoke the media pass. Smile and wave bye-bye to the hack.

BINGO. I think you are right on here.

These guys might not have been working up to expectations, there may have been bad blood or the front office may have just wanted a change in direction. Who knows? Moves like these are made every day in the NFL and there is no reason to bash a head coach or GM for simply letting these guy's contracts expire.

You had to know that there was something more behind Justice's articles. In his most recent blog, he states he doesn't know why more reporters aren't making a story about this. Are you kidding me? Show me one other city paper that has dedicated so much print and ranting regarding the expiration of an employment contract of the strenght and conditioning coach - for any professional sports team - any where.

What has been written is clearly emotional...and I would argue unprofessional.

infantrycak
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow, the arrogance:

No other reporter in this city thought the story was worth more than a couple of paragraphs in print or a few seconds of airtime. Hey, maybe they're right. I'm wrong a lot, so maybe I should be sucking up to Bob McNair, too.

I don't know why no one else thinks these firings were a story. Maybe they didn't think these two people were worth a mention. Maybe they didn't want to risk irritating Bob McNair, etc.

[I've decided to give up. I'm going to kiss Bob McNair's butt. I certainly have enough role models among the ''journalists'' in this town.--Richard]

From his latest blog.

I wonder what McClain thinks of being called a sycophant. So now RJ has called out the entire Texans' management team and all the other Houston journalists. That should make for fun times at parties.

When did journalists start engaging in this kind of behavior?

Got anything else for me, Clyde? Just between us, you're not up to debating me. You don't have the, uh, necessities.

That's in a response to a post on his blog. Maybe it is just me, but I don't see that as appropriate by a professional.

Spike
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow, the arrogance:

From his latest blog.

I wonder what McClain thinks of being called a sycophant. So now RJ has called out the entire Texans' management team and all the other Houston journalists. That should make for fun times at parties.

McClain may ask stupid questions at pressers, but I don't think I would call him a kiss ass. Go back and look at some of his post-game reports (and report cards)...he hasn't pulled many punches.

IlliniJen
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
That's in a response to a post on his blog. Maybe it is just me, but I don't see that as appropriate by a professional.

RJ has pretty much devolved into a pre-teen 4chan message board poster who believes insults and name-calling are the sharpest weapons to wield in a debate.

As a writer with a blog, he should expect he will get people who disagree with him. He should not be responding with insults. He can either try to use reason or just ignore those who disagree with him.

He's so bottom of the barrel now, it's not even funny. And the chron will turn a blind eye!

BigBull17
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Absolutely.

I could care less about the fact that they fired him.

As I said earlier...If he had any hand in helping D-Rob come back from injury he gets major props for that...I don't see a reason to assume that he didn't have a part in that...

Also...When guys did get little minor injuries they usually were o.k to go the next week...Not too many nagging injuries that I can think of...That says something IMO...

And none of what I'm saying makes Justice any less of a Moron...

Its not like they even fired them. They just didnt re-up their contract. They just moved in another direction. It is allowed.

Polo
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
They didn't "technically" fire them, but IMO, it's something like it...
If we don't renew Kubes contract when it's up, people will say he got fired...

Not retaining someones services is just picking the most opprotunistic time to fire them...

Mr. White
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Just when I thought the (Texans) offseason was getting boring. The dude's threatening physical harm to his readers.

You need to just drop it. This is ridiculous.

[If I decide to drop something, I'll be the one deciding. It won't be you. Got that, buster? I'll drop you like a bad piece of catfish.--Richard]

LMAO

IlliniJen
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Just when I thought the (Texans) offseason was getting boring. The dude's threatening physical harm to his readers.

LMAO

That dude is seriously manstrating. Or he's got a personality disorder. I think it's a mix of both.

GP
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it's time to fire up the Fire Justice pink soap avatars, don't ya'll?

We need to take this guy down.

The Pink Soap avatars are like Battle Red jerseys: You win every time.

Richard Justice: You, sir, are now living on borrowed time. You're committing career suicide by trying to force an issue that isn't there, and you're even casting stones at your fellow journalists.

Ways to become a laughing stock in sports journalism:

1. Sow seeds of discord when there's no issue there in the first place (Check!)

2. Bash ordinary fans with teenager'ish smack talk over a non-issue (Check!)

3. Call out your cohorts in the local media (Check!)

4. Strip to your skivvies, shave your head, and march down to Reliant with a protester sign ( )

Mr. White
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
That dude is seriously manstrating. Or he's got a personality disorder. I think it's a mix of both.

I'm of the opinion that some of the most stupid things that you'll ever read are at the bottom of a blog entry or online article.

It's pretty bad when the actual writer of the entry writes the most id!otic of all the comments.

Speedy
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I think it's time to fire up the Fire Justice pink soap avatars, don't ya'll?

We need to take this guy down.

The Pink Soap avatars are like Battle Red jerseys: You win every time.

Richard Justice: You, sir, are now living on borrowed time. You're committing career suicide by trying to force an issue that isn't there, and you're even casting stones at your fellow journalists.

Ways to become a laughing stock in sports journalism:

1. Sow seeds of discord when there's no issue there in the first place (Check!)

2. Bash ordinary fans with teenager'ish smack talk over a non-issue (Check!)

3. Call out your cohorts in the local media (Check!)

4. Strip to your skivvies, shave your head, and march down to Reliant with a protester sign ( )

Dickie Justice ain't going anywhere (unless he gets that ESPN job). You see, when his blog keeps getting the hits it does and places like here have a thread about him that's 160 posts long and over 3,000 views, every time he vomits something on his blog or newspaper, the guy just sits back and laughs.

You might think the guy is the worst sportswriter on the planet, but as long as you keep reading him, he ain't going anywhere. The only way you send a message to who keeps him employed is to make those numbers drop. That means quit reading his garbage, quit linking to his garbage, quit giving his garbage the time of day. The internet is a big, big world. There's a whole lot more places to get GOOD coverage about your team without having to go to this dweeb who talks out of his ass.

Marcus
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Dickie Justice ain't going anywhere (unless he gets that ESPN job). You see, when his blog keeps getting the hits it does and places like here have a thread about him that's 160 posts long and over 3,000 views, every time he vomits something on his blog or newspaper, the guy just sits back and laughs.

You might think the guy is the worst sportswriter on the planet, but as long as you keep reading him, he ain't going anywhere. The only way you send a message to who keeps him employed is to make those numbers drop. That means quit reading his garbage, quit linking to his garbage, quit giving his garbage the time of day. The internet is a big, big world. There's a whole lot more places to get GOOD coverage about your team without having to go to this dweeb who talks out of his ass.

That is so very, very true. As much as I hate that POS, for some damn reason I can't stop reading his crap. Piss on me.

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM

That explains a lot. What HE was doing in the weight room didn't translate so he assumed that NOTHING translated.

I'm glad this guy is gone.

GP
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
The Pink Soap avatar works every time.

Let's get to it, ladies and gents.

TexansSeminole
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
From one of his comments to a poster:

[Ephraim Salaam just called to say: ''He's the best I've ever worked with. He helped me revive my career. I couldn't have done the things I've done the last couple of years without him. I never liked lifting weights. He made me look forward to it. I was stronger these last two seasons than I've ever been.''--Richard]

Perhaps he was stronger these last two seasons because he didn't enjoy lifting weights before, therefore did not do it often? How hard is that to figure out?

I mean, really?

IlliniJen
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Perhaps he was stronger these last two seasons because he didn't enjoy lifting weights before, therefore did not do it often? How hard is that to figure out?

I mean, really?

Don't bring that new-fangled "thinking" and "logic" up in here!

SheTexan
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM

I quit subscribing to the Chron 5 yrs ago, partly because of Richard Justice, and a couple other sports writers I won't mention. I don't log on to his or J. McClains blogs, nor do I read any of HIS crap on the Internet. I just laugh when I pull up TT and find a thread devoted just to him. That's EXACTLY what he looks for folks! You're playing right into his arrogant head, and he's loving every minute of it. If you're hungry for info, read someone else's stuff, there's a lot out there. Who care's about his opinion anyway? Why get your balls all in a wad reading what this jerk writes? Personally, I've been much happier since I wrote him out of my daily football devotionals. Don't need his crappy opinions to figure out what's going on with my team. He'll only WIN, if you let him! JMO

Fox
01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Justice seems to think that it's unacceptable to replace someone who has some sort of personality clash with his boss. I disagree, although some rocky relationships lead to good things (ie. see Marty Schottenheimer and GM A.J. Smith), I don't think it's out of bounds to want someone working for you who is on the same page as you are. If I'm the HC or GM and my butt is on the line next season, I'm going to want someone who does a good job and doesn't make my life more difficult in the process.

Specnatz
01-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I quit subscribing to the Chron 5 yrs ago, partly because of Richard Justice, and a couple other sports writers I won't mention. I don't log on to his or J. McClains blogs, nor do I read any of HIS crap on the Internet. I just laugh when I pull up TT and find a thread devoted just to him. That's EXACTLY what he looks for folks! You're playing right into his arrogant head, and he's loving every minute of it. If you're hungry for info, read someone else's stuff, there's a lot out there. Who care's about his opinion anyway? Why get your balls all in a wad reading what this jerk writes? Personally, I've been much happier since I wrote him out of my daily football devotionals. Don't need his crappy opinions to figure out what's going on with my team. He'll only WIN, if you let him! JMO

Do nothing and expect change is like watching a replay of the First Indianapolis Colts vs Texans game over and over again and expecting results. A lot us want accountability in our local fish-wrap. If you have better suggestions about how to go about getting change then I am all ears.

GP
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Do nothing and expect change is like watching a replay of the First Indianapolis Colts vs Texans game over and over again and expecting results. A lot us want accountability in our local fish-wrap. If you have better suggestions about how to go about getting change then I am all ears.

Yep. Repetitive and consistent propaganda works.

Want a job? Bug the hell of the company every day for three months and they'll hire you just get you off their back.

Marcus
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
No, Speedy is exactly right. By reading his junk, and complaining about him, that tells the Chronicle that you're paying attention to him. You are disagreeing with what he has to say, but you're reading him. You're reading his columns, and you're reading his blogs.

If you start this stupid "pink soap" stuff with Justice, the Chronicle will probably give him a raise and another week of vacation.

Stop reading him, stop commenting about him, stop complaining about him, stop paying attention to him . . .

. . . then, he'll get fired.

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM

I mean, really?

Anecdotal evidence when it comes to lifting is always suspect. I've been a regular on a lot of weight lifting forums and you see claims like that all the time. How you "feel" can be very, very misleading; you have to take actual measurements. You can feel fat and bloated and be the thinnest and leanest you've ever been. You can feel weak and go out and set a personal best (I've done that) and you can feel really strong and go out and totally fail on warm-up weights (I've done that, too.)

Ephraim might have felt stronger because he wasn't being pushed as hard. OR, he might have felt the need to say he felt stronger because Riley is his friend and he's got his back. OR, his previous teams had even worse S&C guys. OR, he never followed any of his previous S&C guys directions because he hated to lift.

You never know.

GP
01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
But I want us to provoke him into a tirade of epic proportions. The sort of episode whereby Justice loses his mind in front of the world.

Pretty please? :lion:

BigBull17
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
The only thing that makes me more depressed than him being our beat writer is that he has his little clones who bleet agreements when he talks.

76Texan
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Here was the big one--doesn't believe what is done in the weight room translates to the football field so he isn't going to adapt anything done in the weight room to try to have it adapt to the football field. Sees them as two totally separate issues. Due to Steve's involvement with Velocity, they used to have debates about it. That seems like the philosophical difference that got him canned.I'll buy that and consider it the utmost reason for parting ways.

Wolf
01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
didn't see where this was posted but..fyi

Riley got a few phone calls to gauge his interest in returning to work. But upon reflection, Riley decided to retire.

"It's time for me to spend more time with my family," Riley said this week. "To do that job right, you have to put in a lot of time. I just didn't think it was worth it anymore."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9133840/IGREG-A.-BEDARD--ntersecting-paths-thicken-plot-?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5