PDA

View Full Version : What are the 2 most important things that need to be addressed this offseason?

mussop
01-07-2009, 12:03 AM
If you had to break it down and say what are the 2 most important things that need to be taken care of this offseason for us to have a chance at becoming a playoff team. IMO the key to this franchise geting over the hump and becoming a regular playoff contendar is

#1) cutting down on turnovers and

#1a) being able to stop the run on a consistant basis.

Until we address those 2 major flaws we are doomed to hoping for 8 and 8 down the stretch every year. IMO strengthening the trenches fixes both of these problems.

Improving the offensive line gives Schaub more time and allow him to make better decisions. It also improves the running game wich takes pressure off Schaub. We now have our stud RB and with the life expectancy of RB's around 3 years IIRC it would be nice to get the best OL in front of him now!

I dont care how we do it ( FA or Draft) but we must improve our trenches. We must use what ever is needed of the draft and FA to insure this happening. I want at least one starting DL in this draft or FA. I dont want to wait on Okam, TJ and Okoye to reach their potential anymore. I dont want to go into next year without at least adding solid depth at OT & C.

My targets FA - I want at least one of these guys.
Haynesworth
T Suggs
Jordan Gross

My early Draft targets
Oher
Monroue
Raji
Orakpo
Mack 2nd
Unger2nd

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
1 - cut down on turnovers.
2 - ONCE AND FOR ALL figure out what the HELL is going on with our defensive line.

Of course, #2 is not easy, for many reasons. I wish it was as simple as cutting Weaver and TJ, but for salary cap reasons, it's not. But those two guys have been bad-to-mediocre for so long now, and at this point I'd rather just cut ties and move on, cap hit be damned. Trouble is - that's crazy talk. I actually think they're both going to be back in 09, but my hope is they will both be at the back end of the depth chart.

Tailgate
01-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Seems like too many needs to boil it down to just 2 things. So what would have the most impact imo?? Hmmm...

1) A premier rushing DE opposite Mario (we need to pressure and create more turnovers).
2) A perfect find for Def Coordinator that runs exotic blitzes(see above).

...... Just for fun :):

3) A big double teaming required DT
4) A true playmaking safety.
5) A short yardage change of pace back to compliment Slaton.
6) Upgrade/depth along the interior of the O-line.

kiwitexansfan
01-07-2009, 01:57 AM
1.) Find a way to take the ball away, whether it be through better scheming, or more likely by finding some ballhawks in free agency/draft.

2.) Get Schaub into the best shape of his life, get him fully healthy and get him the best line we can scrape together. I think with Schaub fully fit and available for a full year, the turnovers will come down.

imatexan
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Red zone!

Turnovers!

mussop
01-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Red zone!

Turnovers!

Redzone was #3 for me.

BattleRedToro
01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
1) Install a philosophy on defense.

2) Win the turnover battle.

Thorn
01-07-2009, 06:52 AM
1. The defense
2. The defense

We have a offense that is better than some that made it to the playoffs this year. If we don't fix the defense in the offseason, forget about the playoffs. Now, as to what needs fixing on the defense, I'd say first and foremost is getting a good DC. After that, well, there are just to many things to list for second place on fixing the defense.

drewmar74
01-07-2009, 08:22 AM
1) running back

2) wide receiver

[/sarcasm]

DBCooper
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I can only pick 2?

IlliniJen
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
1) Install a philosophy on defense.

2) Win the turnover battle.

Put me down for these two as well. I think most everyone will agree that turnovers are a huge deal. And rather than get specific with the defense (so many issues), I like the overall approach here by BRT.

Polo
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
1) D Coord.
2) DE

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Target FAs...

1.) Albert Haynesworth - In a previous post I mentioned that almost every 4-3 defense has a player who is a big space eater who can play next to a quick DT. Adding a big guy like Haynesworth will allow Amobi Okoye to battle it out one-on-one instead of being responsible for taking on two or more linemen.

2.) Nnamdi Asomugha - Doesn't grab a bunch of INTs like I would want but he scares opposing QBs from throwing in his direction. Proven player who still has production left in him.

3.) Gabe Watson - A poor man's Haynesworth. @ 6'3" 330-Lbs he is a massive force that can take on two blockers and still stop the run as well as get up the field and sack the QB. Hasn't played much but with coaching can become a solid player. A diamond in the rust IMO.

Haynesworth is going to command the highest defensive contract in NFL history. No chance.

Nnamdi is going to be franchise tagged... plus, we're not going to sink all that money into Nnamdi, Dunta, and Reeves last year. Now - if we DON'T resign Dunta AND Nnamdi isn't franchise tagged - then all we have to do is give what might be the highest contract in the history of the NFL for a cornerback. Not going to happen.

Gabe Watson is a restricted FA. We'd have to give up a draft pick to get him - what round I don't know - but I imagine he'll have a mid-tier tender. I'll be interested to see what kind of pick it would take to land him... I imagine it will be too high a pick to get him, though.

We have to start thinking in more realistic terms for our FAs.

Nawzer
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
1. Long snapper

2. A new waterboy

pittbull3
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
1) Cutting down turnovers.
2) A creative defensive package. - Even the worst palyers on teams are better, when the scheme is extremely creative. Not many of the 3-4 scheme players go to other teams and have great careers. But the scheme is so good, it makes average player look even better! Bring the Heat!

pittbull3
01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Player-wise.....SAFETY and Outside LB!

DocBar
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Everybody already said what I think we need to work on. I DID notice, however, that this is the 1st time in 7 years that a thread like this has been started W/O mention of OL, specifically, LT, QB or a stud RB. That is pretty cool.

My :twocents:
1. Get a REAL D philosophy- You said it great, BRT.
2. Get a handle on turnover: Need more on D and less on O.

Shaft75
01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
1) The economy

2) Childhood obesity

Texan in Japan
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
1. Hiring the "right" defensive coordinator.
2. Reducing turnovers and increasing take aways.

I think #1 will help us with #2 and #2 should help us in the red zone.

PapaL
01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
1. Hiring the "right" defensive coordinator.
2. Reducing turnovers and increasing take aways.

I think #1 will help us with #2 and #2 should help us in the red zone.

Eins, Zwei, Drei...Yup even in German that's still 3. :whip:

Goldensilence
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
1. Hire a surefire DC. One who has a track record of success and a philosophy/approach to defense.

2. Red Zone offense. Turnovers have killed us but despite that when we get into the red zone we have to settle for field goals way too much.

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
They must quit beating themselves with turnovers… especially the costly redzone variety.
DC… someone fresh like Sean McDermott.

Need to address these areas...

DT
Haynesworth, if he’s available, will come at a steep price. I’d be concerned once he gets his big payday, he gets satisfied, and is never the player he should have been. Maybe someone like Rocky Bernard (Seattle)

S
Yeremiah Bell/Sean Jones /O.J. Atogwe

Bell will most likely re-up with Miami or get tagged. Jones can be a bit inconsistent in coverage, but would definitley be an upgrade. I can’t see St. Louis letting Atogwe go.
Sean Considine or Brian Dawkins, if by chance McDermott was hired for DC job. Dawkins is 35, but should have another year or two left and could help in the development of Brandon Harrison and Dominique Barber or a rookie should they draft one.

Eugene Wilson probably worth hanging on to for depth if the price is right.

Killer Bee
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
1. Our goal should be to fill in the teams major holes in the next 2 drafts. So half of the following needs to be addressed with quality players in this year’s draft, DE, NT, FS, and RB2. Also add depth and competition at CB, OL, and LB.
2. Find a Defensive Coordinator with a scheme that suits our established talent.
3. Resign Dunta, and extend Daniels and Demeco.

Sorry, 2 isn't enough for the Texans.

jshabang
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I am ok with the cb situation here in texas....as long as we resign dunta.....

i feel good about the progress of dunta, bennett, molden, (reeves not so much) over the summer and pick up a mid round cb or some cheaper free agent.......i dont feel like thats a huge hole as long as they all make some sort of progress......

safety/D-End is glaring holes......maybe a 2 gap DT........

that being said... wishlist is as follows:

1. haynesworth next to okoye and mario is to much to handle for any team......

2. Quinten Mikell from philly would be the sweetest thing next to eugene wilson hes next on my list...and will be on the cheap

3. gabe watson

4. suggs

5 peppers

its time to take the next step......get a monster free agent and watch us soar

jshabang
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
They must quit beating themselves with turnovers… especially the costly redzone variety.
DC… someone fresh like Sean McDermott.

Need to address these areas...

DT
Haynesworth, if he’s available, will come at a steep price. I’d be concerned once he gets his big payday, he gets satisfied, and is never the player he should have been. Maybe someone like Rocky Bernard (Seattle)

S
Yeremiah Bell/Sean Jones /O.J. Atogwe

Bell will most likely re-up with Miami or get tagged. Jones can be a bit inconsistent in coverage, but would definitley be an upgrade. I can’t see St. Louis letting Atogwe go.
Sean Considine or Brian Dawkins, if by chance McDermott was hired for DC job. Dawkins is 35, but should have another year or two left and could help in the development of Brandon Harrison and Dominique Barber or a rookie should they draft one.

Eugene Wilson probably worth hanging on to for depth if the price is right.

to all the haynesworth will get paid and not play the same......I say a haynesworth at 75% is lightyears ahead of anything we have on our roster point blank period.......I will take him at 75% before i turn the reigns over to Travis "underacheiver" Johnson, dejuan robinson, or Okam

plus with him on the line just his mere presence is enough to improve our line by lightyears plus we will be a winning club with his addition and winning will heal all

now otogwe is someone i forgot he would def top my list

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I am ok with the cb situation here in texas....as long as we resign dunta.....

i feel good about the progress of dunta, bennett, molden, (reeves not so much) over the summer and pick up a mid round cb or some cheaper free agent.......i dont feel like thats a huge hole as long as they all make some sort of progress......

safety/D-End is glaring holes......maybe a 2 gap DT........

that being said... wishlist is as follows:

1. haynesworth next to okoye and mario is to much to handle for any team......

2. Quinten Mikell from philly would be the sweetest thing next to eugene wilson hes next on my list...and will be on the cheap

3. gabe watson

4. suggs

5 peppers

its time to take the next step......get a monster free agent and watch us soar

When you say "wishlist" you mean you want ONE of those guys, right? Jeez, we're not the Jets.

jshabang
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
When you say "wishlist" you mean you want ONE of those guys, right? Jeez, we're not the Jets.

I didnt say sign them all bossman.....I was merely puttin a list of attractive things to consider this summer that would def help our team....

I know we cant sign them all......its just a list

DiehardChris
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I didnt say sign them all bossman.....I was merely puttin a list of attractive things to consider this summer that would def help our team....

I know we cant sign them all......its just a list

Bossman! LOL

That's why I asked you! Now I know. You're not crazy. :D

Rozelle
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
to all the haynesworth will get paid and not play the same......I say a haynesworth at 75% is lightyears ahead of anything we have on our roster point blank period.......I will take him at 75% before i turn the reigns over to Travis "underacheiver" Johnson, dejuan robinson, or Okam

plus with him on the line just his mere presence is enough to improve our line by lightyears plus we will be a winning club with his addition and winning will heal all

True... but at the price you will have to pay him you want more than that. I rather doubt he hits the market anyway and if he does you have to ask yourself WHY? :hmmm:

Texan in Japan
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Eins, Zwei, Drei...Yup even in German that's still 3. :whip:

Yo bro, I just delineated the positive and negative aspects of what many just called turnovers. Cut me some slack...I'm fighting terrorists. :-)

BattleRedToro
01-08-2009, 06:15 AM
True... but at the price you will have to pay him you want more than that. I rather doubt he hits the market anyway and if he does you have to ask yourself WHY? :hmmm:

He will hit the market for sure, unless I am mistaken.

Do the Titans have a period of time with exclusive rights to negotiate a new contract with him after the season is over, or does he immediately become a free agent?

Even if the Titans have an exclusive rights period, this does not mean that Haynesworth and his agent must negotiate nor does it mean they must accept any offers.

I would really be surprised if Albert signed a contract with the Titans before testing the market.

Rozelle
01-08-2009, 07:21 AM
He will hit the market for sure, unless I am mistaken.

Do the Titans have a period of time with exclusive rights to negotiate a new contract with him after the season is over, or does he immediately become a free agent?
Even if the Titans have an exclusive rights period, this does not mean that Haynesworth and his agent must negotiate nor does it mean they must accept any offers.

I would really be surprised if Albert signed a contract with the Titans before testing the market.

He will not be free to negotiate with other teams until Feb. 27, the start of free agency. Titans don't technically have any exclusive rights.

infantrycak
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM

No more than the restrictions on negotiating with any UFA.

So would I. I don't see Haynesworth as a Titan next year.

Two scenarios:

#1 Titans win the SB - Haynesworth says woohoo, got my ring, now I want my check and goes to the highest bidder.
#2 Titans don't win with most likely the O being the weak link in the failure - some might say he will want to be on a winner and the Titans were winning, but I think he is arrogant enough to believe (a) his removal will keep the Titans from having similar success and (b) his addition to a team with say a top 3 O but weak interior line would instantly vault that team, so once again he leaves looking for a payday.

Disclaimer--I painted that with the Texans as an example but don't see it happening.

Yankee_In_TX
01-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Red zone!

Turnovers!

Ding ding ding! Winner! :)

I agree.

But tangible things-

1. pass rush
2. secondary

CharloTex
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
1. The defense
2. The defense

I very much agree with this except I had them in the reverse order.

TexanSam
01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Reliant Stadium's roof

The defense

mussop
01-09-2009, 02:13 AM
#2 Titans don't win with most likely the O being the weak link in the failure - some might say he will want to be on a winner and the Titans were winning, but I think he is arrogant enough to believe (a) his removal will keep the Titans from having similar success and (b) his addition to a team with say a top 3 O but weak interior line would instantly vault that team, so once again he leaves looking for a payday.

We can only pray.

thunderkyss
01-09-2009, 03:14 AM
#1) cutting down on turnovers and

#1a) being able to stop the run on a consistant basis.

Until we address those 2 major flaws we are doomed to hoping for 8 and 8 down the stretch every year. IMO strengthening the trenches fixes both of these problems.

Ain't gonna happen. We're set on OL.. The guys who started against Chicago, will start on opening day. Barring injury, they will finish the season as the starting line-up.

Defensively.... we can't continue stacking the DL with 1st round draft picks.... I mean we can, but we won't.
We now have our stud RB and with the life expectancy of RB's around 3 years IIRC it would be nice to get the best OL in front of him now!

The OL did a great job at the end of the season, and good enough all season long, for SS to earn the rookie rushing title. We've got a good bunch, and they're only getting better. In the meantime, we can't be leaving Brown/Winston on islands going against premier pass rushers. Scheme, coaching and awareness are what we need to further develop our young OL.

I dont care how we do it ( FA or Draft) but we must improve our trenches. We must use what ever is needed of the draft and FA to insure this happening. I want at least one starting DL in this draft or FA. I dont want to wait on Okam, TJ and Okoye to reach their potential anymore. I dont want to go into next year without at least adding solid depth at OT & C.

Again, I don't think it's a personnel issue. I think it's more of a "no huevos" issue. We seem to look like a pro team, when we are aggressive. Someone somewhere, is afraid we're going to get burned. They don't seem to be aware, that we're getting burned anyway.

My targets FA - I want at least one of these guys.
Haynesworth
T Suggs
Jordan Gross

My early Draft targets
Oher
Monroue
Raji
Orakpo
Mack 2nd
Unger2nd

Forget Gross, Forget Oher, Orakpo...

IMHO, Kerry Rhodes & Chris Gamble are must haves......... then we need to draft a starting corner in the first. A running back in the second, and another corner in the third.

thunderkyss
01-09-2009, 03:21 AM

I'm sure someone somewhere said the same thing about Sean Alexander.

jshabang
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm sure someone somewhere said the same thing about Sean Alexander.

It really doesnt matter to be honest.......my point is this....what do u really lose???

who plays alongside okoye......travis freakin johnson man.....

if u think that travis outplays fat albert i see your point.......

but he cant play worse than that first round bust in IMO....so why not

fat albert can outplay him on his worse day with one hand tied behind his back

HoustonFrog
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I say 3 things

Secondary/Safety help
Middle LB help to move DeMeco outside
RB that cab bruise

Wolf6151
01-10-2009, 01:52 AM
My 2 most important things that need to be addressed are:

1. Defensive Tackle, a really big Nose Tackle type of player that can take up 2 blockers thus freeing up Mario and Amobi to make plays, stop the run, and collapse the pocket. I'm thinking Ron Brace from Boston College would be perfect and we should be able to get him in the 2nd round.

2. Strong Safety, someone fast with good ball skills and excellent in coverage of TE's and RB's and slot receivers but also tough with good tackling ability and not afraid to play the run. Patrick Chung, Michael Hamlin, Emmanuel Cook, Sean Smith etc... in the 2nd or 3rd round, or Taylor Mays in the 1st round. There are lots of good safeties in this years draft.

Improvement in these 2 areas would help alot in run support, put more pressure on the QB thus making him rush his throws and making mistakes and create turnovers. It would also add some size and toughness and hopefully attitude to our defense that I think is lacking.

BSofA04
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Draft
1. Either a FS or a passing rushing DE in Round #1. I like the athleticism of Greg Hardy so that's my pick. However, a ball-hawking FS will improve our secondary.

2. O-line help. Schaub was under pressure way too much all season! RG needs to be upgraded. Briesel is inconsistent. Brown needs to show improvement. I will admit that I really like Brown, but his pass blocking is suspect.

FA
1. Defensive Tackle help. Beside B.J. Raji, there's no one we can draft that'll contribute from the first snap of 2009. We don't have a choice, find someone who can come in.
2. OLB. Can be addressed in FA and in the mid rounds of the draft. Our depth consists of Morlon Greenwood and Kevin Bentley. Enough said.
Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott, Karlos Dansby, Eric Barton, Jonathan Vilma, Michael Boley. Not all will be franchised.

beerlover
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
nothing cute, just keep it simple

better D & improve giveaway/takeaway ratio

jb66er
01-11-2009, 09:45 AM
1) A 1st string QB

2) A high caliber SS or FS

Maddict5
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
1) A 1st string QB

2) A high caliber SS or FS

:rolleyes:

Lucky
01-11-2009, 10:33 AM

IMHO, Kerry Rhodes & Chris Gamble are must haves
Is there a reliable, updated FA tracker somewhere on the world wide web? Gamble was re-signed during the season. Rhodes was extended last spring. Mikell was re-upped in 2007 to a 4 year contract.

I mean if we're going to pine over free agents, let them at least be free agents.

Mailman
01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with much of what others have already said in this thread, but there's one important change yet to be mentioned-- stop playing that stupid Zombie Nation song after every score.

"OH OH OH OHHHHHH OHHHHH OH OH OH" is more played out than the woof woof in Who Let the Dawgs Out.

Big Lou
01-11-2009, 02:40 PM
1. Figure out a way to address more than two things in the off season.

2. Then address more than two things.

BigBull17
01-12-2009, 07:16 AM
My 2 most important things that need to be addressed are:

1. Defensive Tackle, a really big Nose Tackle type of player that can take up 2 blockers thus freeing up Mario and Amobi to make plays, stop the run, and collapse the pocket. I'm thinking Ron Brace from Boston College would be perfect and we should be able to get him in the 2nd round.

2. Strong Safety, someone fast with good ball skills and excellent in coverage of TE's and RB's and slot receivers but also tough with good tackling ability and not afraid to play the run. Patrick Chung, Michael Hamlin, Emmanuel Cook, Sean Smith etc... in the 2nd or 3rd round, or Taylor Mays in the 1st round. There are lots of good safeties in this years draft.

Improvement in these 2 areas would help alot in run support, put more pressure on the QB thus making him rush his throws and making mistakes and create turnovers. It would also add some size and toughness and hopefully attitude to our defense that I think is lacking.

We have 5 Stronng Safties, we need Free Sarfties. A ballhawk centerfielder to make you think twice about throwing over the middle.