PDA

View Full Version : Any News on Interviews Being Scheduled?

Texans Pride
01-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about who and when is being interviewed for the DC position.

I know we have the rumors of who is going to be interviewed.

Porky
01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I was kind of wondering the same thing. It's been awfully quiet on the home front.

4Texans
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
It seems like most teams are in the "wait and see" mode. Outside of head coach searches, there's no telling what could happen with Asst. coaches after seeing Green Bay fire their Defensive staff this week. Could be some more assistants let go with other teams very soon. I really would like to see some interviewing start soon...

bckey
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
You would think that the Texans would interview the coaches on teams that have finished their season already. They would then be ready to interview any hot commodity like Sean McDermott from Philly as soon as they are available after exiting the playoffs. You snooze you lose in the NFL.

How many times have you seen someone that is really sought after never make it to the latter teams on their interview list because one of the first teams does what it takes to get them signed? Hopefully teams will consider McDermott too inexperienced for a head coaching job.

Mr. White
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.

But then again, unless it's a big name interviewing for an assistant job, we don't hear about it until a hire is made. For instance, nobody knew that Jethro Franklin was interviewing for D-Line coach until he actually got the job.

Dunno if it's an organizational thing or a media thing, but it won't surprise me if we don't hear anything hire somebody.

mexican_texan
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
It's probably the fact that for the most part, we have pretty weak journalism here in Houston.

PHAROAH
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
You would think that the Texans would interview the coaches on teams that have finished their season already. They would then be ready to interview any hot commodity like Sean McDermott from Philly as soon as they are available after exiting the playoffs. You snooze you lose in the NFL.

How many times have you seen someone that is really sought after never make it to the latter teams on their interview list because one of the first teams does what it takes to get them signed? Hopefully teams will consider McDermott too inexperienced for a head coaching job.I hope that Sean is the first guy that we interview for the defensive coordinator position because I love that Philly defense.

:fans:

D-ReK
01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Texans | Kubiak to take time in hiring defensive coordinator
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:53:13 -0800

Paul Kuharsky, of ESPN.com, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said he will take his time in hiring a new defensive coordinator. "I'm going to take my time. With this league, this gets pretty crazy here over the course of the next few weeks. So, I think it's important that we just settle down right now and get some of these guys some time here next week. I'll begin to put together and list of candidates," Kubiak said. He said the interviews probably will start in two weeks.

Based on this, Kubiak may still be compiling a list and will begin interviewing candidates next week. I believe McClain said the same thing in his chat today. We may get a few names leaked later this week, but the fanbase is stuck playing the waiting game for now.

texanfan2002114
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
As of last night.

Channel 13 - Bob Allen said that the Texans would not start interviewing canidates for the DC postion until next week. Kubes took this week off to have some down time with the family.

So don't expect anything out of the Texans until late next week on the DC front.

gtexan02
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
As of last night.

Channel 13 - Bob Allen said that the Texans would not start interviewing canidates for the DC postion until next week. Kubes took this week off to have some down time with the family.

So don't expect anything out of the Texans until late next week on the DC front.

I hope by "family" he meant the players.

Only kidding?

HOU-TEX
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
As of last night.

Yeah, I reckon he's got a lot of sleep to catch up on too. :)

ChampionTexan
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
PFT has said they'd expand their Coaching/GM carousel tracker (for lack of a better description) to include coordinators, but to this point, there haven't been any coordinator positions listed. Maybe everyone else in the NFL had the same idea Kubes had about taking a week off.

PFT Coordinator comment (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/06/weve-inadvertently-created-a-monster-with-this-coaching-carousel-thing/)

The only other things I've seen are that rumors are that Mike Nolan is a good bet for the Packer DC position, and that Marinelli has been offered the Bears D-Line coach position.

Mike Nolan Rumor (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/05/rumors-fly-of-nolan-to-packers/)
Rod Marinelli Story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-06-bears-chicagojan06,0,4221053.story)

False Start
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I hope by "family" he meant the players.

Maybe so, they are his "kids" after all.

I think we'll see a lot more action either close to the SB or afterward.

Marinelli was a guy I was hoping the Texans would give an interview. I still think it will be someone that many weren't expecting, or Frank Bush that gets the job.

jb66er
01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I would like to see Keith Butler (Pit) get an interview.

headsplint
01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I just hope the approach to the interview process isn't Kubiak trying to justify why he doesn't just give the job to Bush, but more so who would create the biggest impact.

ArlingtonTexan
01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
here is a note from rotoworld

Rotoworld) The Saints will host ex-Jags defensive coordinator Gregg Williams about taking the same position in New Orleans on Thursday.
Analysis: Williams is reportedly on Green Bay and Houston's wish lists as well, but hasn't interviewed in either place yet. An attacking coordinator, Williams was hamstrung a bit working under defensive-minded Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville. There's no real reason to think Williams lost his touch last year.

Wolf6151
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Hello Kubiak, WAKE UP, you might want to get your butt off of vacation and in the office and begin to seriously interview possible DC candidates. While your on vacation the rest of the NFL is interviewing and making offers to guys that might be of interest to the Texans. The really good coaches probably won't be on the market for very long and they're meeting with multiple teams.

mexican_texan
01-08-2009, 12:04 AM
here is a note from rotoworld
FWIW, McClain admitted to having absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about the search, but has reported interest in Gregg Williams by the Texans.

TexanSam
01-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Hello Kubiak, WAKE UP, you might want to get your butt off of vacation and in the office and begin to seriously interview possible DC candidates. While your on vacation the rest of the NFL is interviewing and making offers to guys that might be of interest to the Texans. The really good coaches probably won't be on the market for very long and they're meeting with multiple teams.

There's actually been very few interviews this week.

Marcus
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Man, some of you are edgier than a black widow's husband on his honeymoon.

Just because Kubiak says he's going to take his time with it, don't just assume that he's going to miss out on something. The playoffs are not over yet.

ChrisG
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
INTERVIEW SOMEONE, ANYONE, NOW!!!

Im free this weekend, hint hint:winky:

:logo:

ChampionTexan
01-08-2009, 12:53 AM

Do you run an aggresive 4-3?

ChrisG
01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Do you run an aggresive 4-3?

hell yeah! Im big on a strong smashmouth D, think Ravens. Also I love to blitz, if the Qb is laying on his back after being crushed by Super Mario he can't pass the ball :bat:

ChampionTexan
01-08-2009, 12:57 AM
hell yeah! Im big on a strong smashmouth D, think Ravens. Also I love to blitz, if the Qb is laying on his back after being crushed by Super Mario he can't pass the ball :bat:

Sounds good - we'll add you to the list and be in touch.

Texanmike02
01-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Um.. the Ravens run a 3-4... or am I smoking something?

Mike

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
You know, nobody has brought this up but do you think we could possibly be waiting to see if Dungy decides to retire? I mean you could pick up alot of good coaches from that team if Indy ends up looking for a coach replacement.

BigBull17
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
You know, nobody has brought this up but do you think we could possibly be waiting to see if Dungy decides to retire? I mean you could pick up alot of good coaches from that team if Indy ends up looking for a coach replacement.

They named a sucessor from on staff. That team wont skip a beat, since Peyton is the damn coach.

El Tejano
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I wonder if that means every coach will still be in tact.

Either way looks like Marinelli interviewed with us.

ChrisG
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Um.. the Ravens run a 3-4... or am I smoking something?

Mike

yea they do i was just saying interms of the hard hitting D lol

anyway hopefully we will be hearing something soon

cuppacoffee
01-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I hope that Sean is the first guy that we interview for the defensive coordinator position because I love that Philly defense.

:fans:

As of last night.

Will the Texans be permitted to interview Sean McDermott next week even though the Eagles are still in the playoffs?

:coffee:

TEXANRED
01-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Will the Texans be permitted to interview Sean McDermott next week even though the Eagles are still in the playoffs?

:coffee:

No.

pappy
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Most people with get it done attitudes do get it done . That means if they are out of work they get employed soon . Kubiak better be aware that if he has designs on getting a person employed that will get the job done sooner rather than later he will need to act fast . :tiphat:

PHAROAH
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Philly defense is looking really good in that 4-3 blitz scheme let's get Mcdermott in here fast!!!!

painekiller
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Most people with get it done attitudes do get it done . That means if they are out of work they get employed soon . Kubiak better be aware that if he has designs on getting a person employed that will get the job done sooner rather than later he will need to act fast . :tiphat:

And if that man is employed by the Eagles, the Ravens, the Cards, or the winner of the Steelers v Chargers then you must wait until his team is out.

So if Sean McDermott is your guy then you wait. League rules.

barrett
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
apparently, not true. according to nfl.com's schefter, Ryan is interviewing for HC jobs today. He just can't accept. i always thought you couldn't touch them until they were out but i guess that's not the case anymore.

Jackie Chiles
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
apparently, not true. according to nfl.com's schefter, Ryan is interviewing for HC jobs today. He just can't accept. i always thought you couldn't touch them until they were out but i guess that's not the case anymore.

Didn't we interview Kubiak in a similar situation? I think we interviewed him during his first round bye.

ChampionTexan
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Didn't we interview Kubiak in a similar situation? I think we interviewed him during his first round bye.

I'm not positive, but I believe the rule only applies to interviews for HC jobs, and wouldn't give us access to McDermott or any other assistant still in the playoffs until their done for the year.

Specnatz
01-11-2009, 04:12 PM
You can interview but you can not sign or actually talk of contracts and offering the job. This is for HC, not sure about other positions.

pittbull3
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM

I can run an aggressive 4-3 Defense! If Mike Leech can do it, with no experience, so can I. I promise to have Reliant jumpin!

Old School
01-12-2009, 03:53 AM
And if that man is employed by the Eagles, the Ravens, the Cards, or the winner of the Steelers v Chargers then you must wait until his team is out.

If this is truly how they think then they are crazy. Surely there are other candidates that are not in the playoffs. Get them out of the way now and by the time "your guy" is done playing, interview him and then you will be ready to make a decision then instead of waiting a couple more weeks.

So if Sean McDermott is your guy then you wait. League rules.
And what do you do if he leaves your a$$ at the altar? Now you are scrambling around because you didn't take care of business when you should have.
Interview the longshots and "maybe" guys now and that way you have a fallback guy if you don't get your first choice.

Ckw
01-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Interview the longshots and "maybe" guys now and that way you have a fallback guy if you don't get your first choice.

I'm pretty sure if he is not getting the DC position right off the bat, Frank Bush is our "fallback guy". Seems like a good situation to me. Bush was the guy Kubiak wanted from the get-go. Now he is thinking he wants an entirely different staff, other than a few choice individuals. So he waits around for McDermott and the Eagles to either be eliminated or win the freakin Super Bowl, brings him in for an interview, offers him the position, and either he is our DC (or somebody like him) or the position goes to the "fallback guy" Frank Bush. I like this. It makes me feel like we aren't just rushing around to hire someone. We must be targeting someone and are waiting for the right time.

Old School
01-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm pretty sure if he is not getting the DC position right off the bat, Frank Bush is our "fallback guy". Seems like a good situation to me. Bush was the guy Kubiak wanted from the get-go. Now he is thinking he wants an entirely different staff, other than a few choice individuals. So he waits around for McDermott and the Eagles to either be eliminated or win the freakin Super Bowl, brings him in for an interview, offers him the position, and either he is our DC (or somebody like him) or the position goes to the "fallback guy" Frank Bush. I like this. It makes me feel like we aren't just rushing around to hire someone. We must be targeting someone and are waiting for the right time.
I see what you are saying and you are probably right or at least a lot closer than I am. I guess I just have a problem with not checking under every rock for "the guy". You never know, someone new might come in and blow them away in an interview.
I guess this is why my wife doesn't involve herself when I make big purchases. I will research it for weeks or months before I pull the trigger, Just to make sure I am getting the best deal I can....It drives her batty!!

painekiller
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I see what you are saying and you are probably right or at least a lot closer than I am. I guess I just have a problem with not checking under every rock for "the guy". You never know, someone new might come in and blow them away in an interview.
I guess this is why my wife doesn't involve herself when I make big purchases. I will research it for weeks or months before I pull the trigger, Just to make sure I am getting the best deal I can....It drives her batty!!

BTW how do you know we are not doing this? Do Kubiak/Smith have to clear every interview with us? Well they are not going to do that.

Old School
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
BTW how do you know we are not doing this? Do Kubiak/Smith have to clear every interview with us? Well they are not going to do that.
Hell, with our crack(pot) reporters. That crap couldn't stay private for this long. Please reference the "Justice" thread!!

Marcus
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you.

And as for Sean McDermott, where are you finding that he's even interested in going somewhere else?

ChampionTexan
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you.

And as for Sean McDermott, where are you finding that he's even interested in going somewhere else?

Given that we'd be talking about a promotion, the fact that the DC where he's at doesn't appear to be going anywhere for a while, and the fact that Andy Reid has already said he wouldn't stand in his way if a DC opportunity came along, don't you think it's a reasonable assumption that he'd be interested in going somewhere else?

Polo
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I can't see the Texans hiring McDermot over Bush

bckey
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Here is something interesting posted by Oiler-Texan diehard on the battleredblog. According to the posting the Texans could schedule an interview with a coach (McDermott) that is still coaching in the playoffs. So I don't know what the Texans are waiting on if they are interested in McDermott. They may not be interested in him like alot of us were hoping.

Here is an excerpt:

There is no NFL policy against interviewing coaches for teams that still have upcoming playoff games. The Jets are going to interview Cards OL coach Russ Grimm on Thursday in Arizona for their head coaching vacancy. They already interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo while the Giants were preparing for yesterdays game vs Philly. The Jets have received permission to speak with Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, but have not yet determined a day to meet.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/1/12/718491/why-no-word-from-the-texan

infantrycak
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is something interesting posted by Oiler-Texan diehard on the battleredblog. According to the posting the Texans could schedule an interview with a coach (McDermott) that is still coaching in the playoffs. So I don't know what the Texans are waiting on if they are interested in McDermott. They may not be interested in him like alot of us were hoping.

There isn't any rule against it, but the team has to give permission. The Eagles may not want to disturb their preparations.

pappy
01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Fall back , heck if Kubiak dont get off the pot soon we will be falling back into poop for a coach . :dontknowa
ps. tony dungy is expected to retire again !