PDA

View Full Version : Madden to Retire?

LonerATO
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Great write up about Madden and I hope Collinsworth replaces him

MILLEN’S PRESENCE WILL FUEL MADDEN RUMORS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 4:45 p.m. EST

We continue to be intrigued by the sudden appearance, after more than four months of exile, of former Lions CEO Matt Millen on NBC’s playoff edition of Football Night In America.

After watching his interview with Dan Patrick and then seeing him sitting at the grown-ups’ table with Bob Costas and the rest of the gang, here’s our working theory.

In our estimation, John Madden will retire from broadcasting after the season, Cris Collinsworth will take Madden’s place on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, and Millen will replace Collinsworth on FNIA.

We’ve already been hearing rumors from media sources in the Bay Area of a Madden retirement from television, followed by possible return to the Raiders in a front-office role.

We recently investigated those rumors, but couldn’t make the onion bloom.

What we did learn, however, is that Madden and NBC Sports guru Dick Ebersol agreed upon the execution of Madden’s six-year contract with the network that both sides would assess the situation after three years.

Upon completion of NBC’s coverage of Super Bowl XLIII, Madden will conclude his third year with the network.

Millen’s presence seemed too abrupt and nonchalant to have no deeper meaning. So, yeah, we’re convinced that something’s going on. And it very well could be that, in four weeks, we’ll be seeing the last of John Madden on network television.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/03/millens-presence-will-fuel-madden-rumors/

kastofsna
01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
time for the unoriginal Favre jokes to commence

texanhead08
01-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Millen was pretty good when he was on Fox. I guess he couldnt possibly be worse as a color guy than he was as a gm.

dickieb
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden! Sometimes I watch the game on mute so I don't have to listen to him. He's not a bad guy - I just can't stand to listen to him. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

TexansSeminole
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden! Sometimes I watch the game on mute so I don't have to listen to him. He's not a bad guy - I just can't stand to listen to him. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

I love Madden. He is my favorite football commentator.

Pantherstang84
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM

I think it is just you.

I'll miss Madden if true. Love his commentary. Boom!

LonerATO
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM

I feel that same way about Kornheiser

4Texans
01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I've always liked Madden. If he retires from the booth, it would be great to see him do something with the Raiders. Anything to get Al Davis out of there.

I'm not sure I can stand to listen to Millen give commentary. How can you take the guy seriously after he failed so miserably as a NFL GM.

Speedy
01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden!
I can't stand Collingsworth!! This will be a huge downgrade in the booth IMO.

Good thing I'm half asleep for half the Sunday night games from being at Reliant all day.

Mailman
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM

No, it's not just you. I've been sick of Mr. Maddenobvious for a very long time.

He's so overrated. I do not understand why people think he's a good color commentator.

painekiller
01-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Madden was great when he was with Pat Summerall, but has appeared to be mailing it in his entire time with Michael's. He was at one time the best since Cossell but that time past a long time ago.

Keep Al Michael s and add someone that will compliment the game on the field, that is the entertainment, not the guy in the box.

JayCee
01-04-2009, 03:14 AM
i love Madden and Michaels - i think they're great, especially when you compare them to the MNF commentary team.

mancunian
01-04-2009, 05:51 AM
I think it is just you.

I'll miss Madden if true. Love his commentary. Boom!

Nope, I dont "hate" Madden I've just gone off his commentary recently.

sixfour
01-05-2009, 12:08 AM

I too am glad this buffoon is gone. Man he made games hard to listen to.

ObsiWan
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
i love Madden and Michaels - i think they're great, especially when you compare them to the MNF commentary team.

oh god yes.
Tony ("those red Texans unis look stupid, they look like ketchup bottles") Kornheiser is worse than Dennis Miller was. All he does is ask idiotic Jerry Springer-type questions to stir the pot. Tirico can't hold a candle to Michaels as far as being a play-by-play guy goes. The only person that's proficient on MNF is Jaws.

Hervoyel
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
There's nothing wrong with pointing out that Madden "was" great and that now he seems a bit lost at times and can be hard to listen to. It happens to all of them eventually. I won't miss the John Madden we have today. I'll continue to miss the one from 10-12 years ago who was outstanding at what he did.

nunusguy
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I dunno, but I would hardly say riding around the county in a private, personally-customized bus and then calling NFL gamess every week as "work". But Madden is probably stinkin rich by now, so he can "hang-it up" if he chooses.
I caught Millen with Costas and he was impressive IMO.
BTW, anybody else catch former Madden sidekick Summerall calling the Cotton Bowl game ?

HOU-TEX
01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I like Madden. I like Collinsworth, although a bit goofy at times. The rest of the crew on FNIA are pathetic. They think they're being funny when they're actually being stupid. I'd lump them in with the Tony Kornflakes of the bidness.

Bob Costas, Keith Olberman, Dan Patrick and Tony Kornhole = Pathetic!

Texan_Bill
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I still like Madden, but he does seem lost at times. In fact, I think Frank Caliendo is more in tune with the old Madden than Madden himself is at times.

His books were good too.

WWJD
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I read somewhere where John said it was getting too hard to travel (even though he has a palace on wheels) and it wasn't fun anymore.

I would think whatever type of contract he has he would run that out and be done with the whole thing.

GP
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I've thought that Millen makes a great replacement for Madden. I hope it's not Collinsowrth taking over for Johnnie Boy.

Millen was not operating in his area of talent when he was with the Lions.

He's a great on-air personality, and I've long felt that he's the guy that needs to take the Madden role. Him or Golic. Both are great at pointing out things in simple terms without acting arrogant like Collinsworth.

Collinsworth, while better than others, is still not my ideal choice to assume Madden's role on TV. Just can't stand his overall personality. My .02-cents.

bckey
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I'd like to see Millen take over for Madden instead of Collinsworth also. And please get Kornheiser off the air. He is horrible. I say bring back Dennis Miller if they want a non football personality in the booth. At least he had some intelligent comments and was genuinely funny at times. Heck the whole MNF team sucks. Nothing like the old days of Frank, Don and Howard.