PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton NFL rookie of the month

valleytexfan
01-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Just caught this and didn't see it posted...apologies if it was already mentioned. Well-deserved. As per espn.com:

The league just announced that Houston running back Steve Slaton is the NFL's rookie of the month.

Here is the write up on him from the announcement:

The Texans' third-round pick Steve Slaton from West Virginia (No. 89) led all rookies and ranked second in the NFL with 508 rushing yards (4.7 average) on 109 attempts with three touchdowns in December as the Texans posted a 4-1 (.800) record. The 5-9, 197-pound running back led the league with 687 scrimmage yards (508 rush, 179 receiving) for the month and posted three consecutive 100-yard rushing games in December (130, 120, 100). Slaton also led the AFC with 24 rushing first downs for the month. In Week 13 on Monday Night Football against the Jaguars (12/1/08), Slaton recorded his highest rushing total in December with 130 rushing yards and tied a career-best with two rushing touchdowns. The Pennsylvania native led all rookies and ranked second in the AFC with a franchise record 1,282 rushing yards in 2008.

Slaton is the second Texans player to earn Offensive Rookie of the Month honors in franchise history. Running back Domanick Williams won the award in 2003 (October).

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2009, 04:44 AM
About time.

Thorn
01-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Slaton is a major addition to the offense. He is as important to us as AJ. We finally have a running game to go with the passing game. Another big body back for getting us yards in the red zone and it's going to be difficult for anybody to stop our offense.

Slaton is da man! :texflag:

nunusguy
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I dunno, but I hope Slaton had an agent sharp enough to include terms in his contract with the Texans to get paid for all of these achievements/awards he's winning in his very impressive rookie year. Besides this latest one, I think he also ended up being the most productive rookie running back in the AFC for rushing yards ? Maybe the whole NFL ? That oughta be worth a few bucks ? He needs to get a new agent if he didn't get a lot of money for his very, very overachievuing rookie year performances.
BTW I'm unwilling to give Smith/Kubiak as much credit for the Slaton pick as others are. If they'd have had any clue how valuable he was gonna be, they would certainly atleast have used their first 3rd round pick on him instead of Moulden. So I'll give them partial credit, but not full.

HJam72
01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I dunno, but I hope Slaton had an agent sharp enough to include terms in his contract with the Texans to get paid for all of these achievements/awards he's winning in his very impressive rookie year. Besides this latest one, I think he also ended up being the most productive rookie running back in the AFC for rushing yards ? Maybe the whole NFL ? That oughta be worth a few bucks ? He needs to get a new agent if he didn't get a lot of money for his very, very overachievuing rookie year performances.
BTW I'm unwilling to give Smith/Kubiak as much credit for the Slaton pick as others are. If they'd have had any clue how valuable he was gonna be, they would certainly atleast have used their first 3rd round pick on him instead of Moulden. So I'll give them partial credit, but not full.

Very well said, Mr. Slaton's Agent. I'm sure you did, or you wouldn't be saying that. :) :jk:

False Start
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Hell Yeah!! :jam:

bigbrewster2000
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM

That is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. They drafted Molden with the first 3rd rounder because they didnt think he would be there with the 2nd 3rd round pick and they figured right that Saton would be there.

mexican_texan
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
IIRC, Molden had the same grade as Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who was drafted 16th overall.

Wolf
01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know if this is legit or not.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Vote_For_Me_Steve_Slaton/467543

Vote For Me, Steve Slaton!
Hello everybody,

Just dropping a line to anyone who is out there and gets a chance to read this post. I am up for the TVP a new award given out by VIZIO, this is the second year that it has been presented. with your support you can help be win all you you have to do is go onto WWW.VIZIO.COM click on the link for TVP and cast your vote for me of course. You also can have a chance to win a 42 TV for yourself good deal i say. Also if your in the mooding for voting you can go onto www.nfl.com/rookie this is the diest pepsi rookie of the year award i'm up against some tough competition but with your help i can win them both. so0o go out an vote for ur favorite rookie

The Double S

rookie of the year voting (diet pepsi)

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

False Start
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I just voted 50 times, I'll vote more when I get home.

gtexan02
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Poor guy. There isn't enough media coverage of this. He'll probably end up in last place, when he has a legitimate beef for first

pack66
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I didn't see much of Slaton this year where I live. Does he have a legitimate chance to be a top back in this league?

Thorn
01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I didn't see much of Slaton this year where I live. Does he have a legitimate chance to be a top back in this league?

Well, asking a board full of Texan fans, you'll most likely get the response that he already is. But stats are what they are, and he is already a force at both running and recieving. Not to mention he's a good blocker.

b0ng
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Yep. He's pretty good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFqO4mYjSc).

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 07:28 PM

He pretty much is already a top back in this league Pack66. His numbers would have even been better had he got more carries in the first two games. He was only in here to be a 3rd down back. He is going to be really good for many years. And he is a very exciting RB to watch as well. He isn't one of those boring RB's that just gets a 1st downs. Stevie is the man.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM

And by the way, do you suppose that Denver might try and revamp that offense by taking a guy like Moreno in the 1st round, or a guy like Chris Wells? I think they should focus more on the defense since their D took a step back this year, but I read somewhere that TT likes Moreno a lot. Ryan Grant had some nice games down the stretch as well.

Brando
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Yes, he also has a chance to take it to the house each time he touches the football.

Congrats to Steve!:texflag:

pack66
01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies. He did have a great season. Was wondering if you think he can keep that up. Apparently you do.

I like your team. I think your management is doing a great job of getting the right pieces together to win. I'd expect them to be in the playoffs next season.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. He did have a great season. Was wondering if you think he can keep that up. Apparently you do.

I like your team. I think your management is doing a great job of getting the right pieces together to win. I'd expect them to be in the playoffs next season.

Hopefully, A lot of that depends on what Bush will be able to do with the defense. He is the new coordinator that they hired. The offense should be as good as they were last year and maybe even better if Shaub can stay healthy and Kubes can get the red zone mistakes corrected.

What do you think the Packers will do next season? Have any idea of what they will do with their first pick of the draft?

pack66
01-16-2009, 07:57 PM
There's nowhere to go but up for the Packers. They sure stunk this year. They're going to need to boost what was a very disappointing defense. First priority us to hire a new defensive coordinator. Don't know who it's going to be.

They have the 9th pick, and I'd say it's going to have to be a defensive lineman. Tackle or End doesn't matter, but whichever one it is, he better contribute right away. Ted Thompson is still taking heat over wasting a first round pick on DT Ryan Pickett.

Texecutioner
01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
There's nowhere to go but up for the Packers. They sure stunk this year. They're going to need to boost what was a very disappointing defense. First priority us to hire a new defensive coordinator. Don't know who it's going to be.

They have the 9th pick, and I'd say it's going to have to be a defensive lineman. Tackle or End doesn't matter, but whichever one it is, he better contribute right away. Ted Thompson is still taking heat over wasting a first round pick on DT Ryan Pickett.

Nah, man you guys need to stay away from those DE's. We need a DE at 15 and there might not be any left. :bat: I think you guys ought to grab a DT with your first pick. :thisbig:

How well did Finley did Jermichael Finley do this year. He left Texas way to early but has exceptional talent. I know he had a bad game where he dropped a ball or two and blamed it on Rogers and that wasn't good, but I wondered if he did anything else that was good? I was hoping that he would eventually take Donald Lee's job.

pack66
01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
He only caught 6 passes this year, so the jury is still out. I'm hoping he's eventually the starter too. The Packers have historically had the TE pretty involved in the offense.

I'd expect a DE over a DT, because we lost KGB this year, and our pass rush really dropped off. They're going to be looking for a legitimate pass rusher.

My guess.