PDA

View Full Version : Jets players are not happy with Favre

Marcus
01-01-2009, 02:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804004

Team owner Woody Johnson has stated clearly that he wants Brett Favre to be the New York Jets' quarterback next season, but some players seem to be bristling at the thought.

Days after the Jets' 1-4 finish left them out of the playoffs and helped trigger Eric Mangini's firing as coach, running back Thomas Jones blasted Favre's final-game performance and seemed to suggest the QB's play -- nine interceptions and only two touchdown passes in the final five games -- called for his benching.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in an interview Tuesday with New York Hot 97 FM. Favre threw three interceptions in the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami that clinched the AFC East for the Dolphins.

"The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality," Jones told the radio station. "If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality. ... I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones told Hot 97 FM. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team. So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not [fair]."

Many believed the Jets were built to win now. They traded for Favre in August, spent $140 million on personnel moves last offseason, started 8-3 after knocking off New England and then-unbeaten Tennessee, then watched it all unravel.

"In this league, when you're the head coach or the quarterback and things don't go well, you're going to get a lot of the blame," safety Kerry Rhodes said earlier this week, adding that if Favre chooses to commit to the Jets for his 19th NFL season, he's got to be all in.

"If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it," Rhodes said. "But don't come back if it's going to be half-hearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

A veteran Jets player, quoted anonymously by Newsday, described Favre as a "distant" teammate who, when at the Jets' practice facility, spent his down time away from teammates in an office specially designated for him.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him. He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player told Newsday.

Favre should do with what little dignity he has left, and hang it up. All he's really doing is getting coaches fired.

stingray
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Favre should do with what little dignity he has left, and hang it up. All he's really doing is getting coaches fired.

He can't, he's an attention whore.

DiehardChris
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
My respect and admiration for Brett Favre went from fairly high to less than zero from this whole Packers-to-Jets fiasco.

GP
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I was on the right side of this issue from the get-go.

Brett has problems.

The guy holds people hostage, emotionally. He wants to see how much people want him. "Attention whore" is a pretty good description.

Mangini got hosed. But it was probably good for him to get out of New York. Any front office that run its head coach out the door over Brett Favre is definitely not a safe place to be a head coach. I know that Mangini probably endorsed or signed off on the Favre acquisition, but a smart front office would let a coach be a coach--I don't see Mangini thinking Brett HAD to keep playing, do you?

If Favre had a private office at the facility, and didn't mix well with the rest of the team, then it tells me Favre had the balls of the front office in his hands. And Mangini probably couldn't do anything about it.

J-E-T-S Favre! Favre! Favre!

Brett needs a public relations intervention.

Spled
01-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Jones is a punk. He scored one touchdown and the Jets went 4-12 the year before Favre got there. Everyone's riding Pennington's nuts, why not give Favre his respect for the turnaround?

HoustonFrog
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I've called this guy out for 3 years now...with every holding hostage and non-announcement. Nothing more than an attention ho. His last game was pitiful.

Marcus
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Thomas Jones isn't known to run off at the mouth, and teams don't vote for "punks" the team MVP.

Spled
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Throwing your teammate under the bus is a punk. Why not bring it up to his face?

Hervoyel
01-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Jones is a punk. He scored one touchdown and the Jets went 4-12 the year before Favre got there. Everyone's riding Pennington's nuts, why not give Favre his respect for the turnaround?

I think you missed on that one.The man ran for 1300 yards and scored 13 TD's this year. He's not speaking out of his ass here. He's got all the right in the world to call Brett Favre out. Favre might be a first ballot HOF QB but he's not infallible and he's not above reproach.

Hervoyel
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Throwing your teammate under the bus is a punk. Why not bring it up to his face?

A guy who spends all his time in his own private room isn't exactly a "teammate".

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM

How do you know he didn't?

IMA TEXAN
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM

His dignity rating is already sitting on dead zero since the summer. He stunk in 05 and 06 then had a good year in 07 and wisely retired. Then doofusville broke out. Winners: Dolphins got Pennington and won the division. Packers: got draft pick. Losers: anyone associated with the Jets, especially the coach.
So Dunta Robinson is a punk for pointing out that Carr wasn't leading the team to success?
A guy who spends all his time in his own private room isn't exactly a "teammate".
Maybe the reason Jones didn't bring it up to his face is he couldn't find him.

mattieuk
01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
His dignity rating is already sitting on dead zero since the summer. He stunk in 05 and 06 then had a good year in 07 and wisely retired. Then doofusville broke out. Winners: Dolphins got Pennington and won the division. Packers: got draft pick. Losers: anyone associated with the Jets, especially the coach.

So Dunta Robinson is a punk for pointing out that Carr wasn't leading the team to success?

Maybe the reason Jones didn't bring it up to his face is he couldn't find him.

Finding his office was easy...breaking in, and and talking some sense to him wasn't so.

He's done some damn good things on a football field, but its really time to move on now. I was interested and pleased he decided to give it one last crack, but its not going to happen, he's gotta take his health whilst he's got it, and go pick up some lifetime announcing job or something.

kastofsna
01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
so maybe Favre's comeback wasn't that great of an idea

Showtime100
01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

How do you know he didn't?

I would have just wondered why he felt he had to air it out for the media. I generally hate it when a player can't keep it in-house. JMO.

Having said that I hope that Farve goes away. It'll take Tony K. at least two years to talk about anything else.

Vinny
01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
it looked good early but that arm injury threw a monkey in the wrench.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
The Madden Curse lives on.

Giant Tiger
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I've called this guy out for 3 years now...with every holding hostage and non-announcement. Nothing more than an attention ho. His last game was pitiful.

The Packers were right to move on. I think this will hurt the Jets a lot more than just missing the playoffs this year.

Hervoyel
01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

I dunno, it worked out great for you guys.

Silver Oak
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I would have just wondered why he felt he had to air it out for the media. I generally hate it when a player can't keep it in-house. JMO.

Having said that I hope that Farve goes away. It'll take Tony K. at least two years to talk about anything else.

I echo that opinion. Guess it's just the way I am, but team matters need to be resolved within the team and not through the sports media.

Even though he was correct, it still rubbed me wrong that Dunta called Carr out. To be fair, I didn't hear or read of any teammate questioning where Dunta was on the first TD pass against the Bears last Sunday.

Talk to your coaches, then the GM if that doesn't help. Spilling your guts to some fatty holding the microphone doesn't help the situation IMO.

PapaL
01-01-2009, 09:53 PM

I think Thomas Jones went to the media because his coach was thrown off the boat due to the primadona QB.

I also do not think that a guy like Thomas Jones would have gone to the media w/o the Jets locker room backing him up. Remember - he knows what it is like to be the scapegoat - ref. Chicago and being run out so that Benson could the "man".

MannyFresh
01-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I saw NFL Live Wire last night on NFLN and Favre was speaking to his teammates pre-game and his speech consisted of something like "If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't,...love y'all guys"

WTF kind of pep talk is that?! Farve needs to let them know something buy Feb...so Jets can do what they need to do. Just retire man!!!

GP
01-02-2009, 08:56 PM

They won IN SPITE OF Favre.

DiehardChris
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I saw NFL Live Wire last night on NFLN and Favre was speaking to his teammates pre-game and his speech consisted of something like "If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't,...love y'all guys"

WTF kind of pep talk is that?! Farve needs to let them know something buy Feb...so Jets can do what they need to do. Just retire man!!!

I saw that too, I think on Sunday night. I had the same reaction as you... he seemed totally disinterested... bored, even. Like he was going through the motions.

How do you say that to your teammates before a big game where they had a chance to go to the playoffs if they'd won and another game elsewhere had gone their way? I mean - come on! You're "the legendary" Brett Favre and all you can say is "if it works out it works out?" Disgusting.

Like many others, I've been down on him ever since he started holding the Packers hostage a couple of years ago, and that crap he pulled last off-season made me lose the last shred of respect I had for him... now I've gone from having no respect for him to actively disliking him for his ridiculous "aw shucks I'm just a country boy" act. Go away.

GP
01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I saw that too, I think on Sunday night. I had the same reaction as you... he seemed totally disinterested... bored, even. Like he was going through the motions.

How do you say that to your teammates before a big game where they had a chance to go to the playoffs if they'd won and another game elsewhere had gone their way? I mean - come on! You're "the legendary" Brett Favre and all you can say is "if it works out it works out?" Disgusting.

Like many others, I've been down on him ever since he started holding the Packers hostage a couple of years ago, and that crap he pulled last off-season made me lose the last shred of respect I had for him... now I've gone from having no respect for him to actively disliking him for his ridiculous "aw shucks I'm just a country boy" act. Go away.

I saw the same thing. I was like "Uhhh...what?"

If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Love ya'll guys.

Okey dokey.

Why didn't someone in that huddle injure Brett right then and there?

Dread-Head
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
If Bret Fávre retires...to whom will John Madden pray?

Specnatz
01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
If Bret Fávre retires...to whom will John Madden pray?

Tony 'fumbelina' Homo :lion:

Maximus 135
01-05-2009, 04:53 AM

Players are not happy with Farve...They are upset because he didn't go out to dinner with them...
Players should better keep their mouth shut when it comes to things like this