PDA

View Full Version : Shane Lechler

Insideop
01-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Saw this on another MB. Lechler is a FA and wants to come back to Texas. I like Turk, but if we had the opportunity to get Shane, it would be too good to pass up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPL5150KEE.DTL

Insideop
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
That link was bad. Try this one.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/29/SPL5150KEE.DTL

Goldensilence
01-01-2009, 12:23 AM
That one didn't work either but Turk isn't a young cat really and from what I can recall the Cowboys have a solid punter. Would be a nice signing.

Ryan
01-01-2009, 12:48 AM
After that running play Turk made this year, I think we should keep him!:fans:

Actually he probably needs to be replaced, and Lechler would be a very good replacement. I appreciate Turk alot for being an upgrade over Chad Shankley.

eriadoc
01-01-2009, 01:56 AM
I have a friend who knows Lechler and talks to him regularly, and he's wanted to come back to Texas for a while now. I personally think he's one of the best punters in the game, and I'd love to see him in a Texans uni, despite the college affiliation ;)

BattleRedToro
01-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Lechler is a great punter, and if he can be added to the Texans for a reasonable contract, then that would be a realyy good off-season move.

I couldn't blame him, or anyone else on the Raiders for that matter, for wanting to get off of that team. The Lions may have been the worst team last year, but atleast they cleaned house, and got rid of the people responsible for their failure. The Raiders on the other hand can't get rid of the person responsible for their failure, Al Davis their owner.

mexican_texan
01-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I know they went 0-16, but the Lions were not the worst team. I think they were better than the Rams and Browns.

TexanSam
01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I would love to see Lechler with the Texans. Turk is a good punter, but Lechler has one hell of a leg.

DiehardChris
01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
The Lions actually still have some of their personnel people in place. I think one of the guy's last name is Mayhew - he's sticking around, unbelievably. I don't think they've cleaned house enough.

I agree with MT partially. I think the Browns were the worst team in 2008, mainly because they CLEARLY and obviously QUIT this season. That's inexcusable. The Lions lost every game, but they never flat-out QUIT like the sorry ass Browns did.

Lechler would be a great add. I wanted the Texans to bring in competition for Turk this past off-season, but Turk did pretty well - at least when it came to pinning opponents back. Turk's got one year left on his deal, but I still fully expect the Texans to bring some competition in - but it will probably be a FA or an undrafted FA that would come cheaper than Lechler.

Then again, if he wants to return to Texas - maybe he'll lower his price tag slightly.

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Lechler is a beast. I'd love to bring him in.

mexican_texan
01-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Chase Turner is a good alternative. I hate UH, but I have to admit, I have seen him in person and on TV and he's hands down the best punter I've seen in college. He kicked a sixty yard punt out of his own end zone yesterday for a return of...a yard. He has a great leg and his kicks aren't very catch-able.

Drew_Smoke
01-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I thought Shane signed an extension before the season started?

If he is free we better go get him.

cc_me
01-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Shane is an amazing game changer, but he won't come cheap. I would love for the Raiders to keep him. We'll see. Good luck in the Lechler Lottery!

dickieb
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm watching the FEDEX bowl - the Cincinnatti punter is dang good. Huber is his name and he's a senior.

Ckw
01-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I grew up in the same town as Shane and actually knew him fairly well. Haven't seen him in years. Also, my brother threw a party one year and people from all the surrounding towns came. Finally, he needed to kick them all out so he called up Shane and he came by to kick everyone out of the house.

Anyway, I would love to have him on the Texans.

4Texans
01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Turk is 40-41.... So it wouldn't be a bad move to bring in Lechler. I do like Turk and he has been good the past few years, but he's not getting any younger and his leg isn't going to hold up for long.

Shaft75
01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
The 2009 Texans will not require a punter's services...

Farough
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
The 2009 Texans will not require a punter's services...
I like where your mind is at.

Shaft75
01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I like where your mind is at.

Sad thing is I copied and pasted the statement from an old post that I made a couple of years ago.

It read:

"The 2005 Texans will not require a punter's services..."

TexanSam
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
If Shane Lechler can do what Scifers did for the Chargers on Saturday, sign him!

uhcougar08
01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I saw on KFFL that they believe that they will Franchise Tag Lechler.

http://www.kffl.com/player/1411/NFL

:fans:

Errant Hothy
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Regardless if we can sign Lechler, Turk needs to be replaced.

TexanSam
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I saw on KFFL that they believe that they will Franchise Tag Lechler.

http://www.kffl.com/player/1411/NFL

:fans:

Interesting that they're using the franchise tag on Lechler instead of on Nnamdi Asomugha...

awtysst
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Interesting that they're using the franchise tag on Lechler instead of on Nnamdi Asomugha...

Wow. Thats a surprise. Asomugha is gonna be a pricey FA.

awtysst
01-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I was just thinking that this might lower Dunta's value. If NS does not go into FA, Dunta might be the best FA corner. With NS around, he becomes #2(or less depending on who else hits FA).

Interesting sidenote. On Denver Sportsradio there is talk that the Broncos should trade Champ Baily for picks to rebuild their D. If that is the case, Dunta suddenly becomes the third best corner available.

DiehardChris
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
They don't list a source. My first reaction to that is "that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. Only the Raid-- oh, right. It's the Raiders."

I'm sure what that really means is, if they sign Aso long term, they could use the tag on Lechler. There's just no way in the universe a team lets the best CB in the league walk out when they have the alternative to tag him. Even the Raiders know better.

Or do they? :D

HOU-TEX
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I was just thinking that this might lower Dunta's value. If NS does not go into FA, Dunta might be the best FA corner. With NS around, he becomes #2(or less depending on who else hits FA).

Interesting sidenote. On Denver Sportsradio there is talk that the Broncos should trade Champ Baily for picks to rebuild their D. If that is the case, Dunta suddenly becomes the third best corner available.

IMO, Champ Baily's one of the most overrated CB's in the League. He might've been one of the better one's several years ago, but he ain't all that. The CB that plays the opposite of him (Dre Bly) is also overrated.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread with my silly rant.

Go Punters!