PDA

View Full Version : All-Texans team

Fox
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
After seven seasons we have yet to see a winning season, but we've had some pretty good players pass through. Based on peak performance during their tenure as a Texan (ie. mentioning Boselli as LT based on his time as a Jag is out of bounds), who makes the cut for your All-Texans team?

OFFENSE:
QB: Schaub
FB: Vonta Leach (special mention: Moran Norris who was a crushing blocker)
RB: Steve Slaton (special mention: Domanick Davis. Very close call, I chose Slaton because Davis was somewhat of an overachiever. Slaton has the natural ability to be an elite back, IMO.)
WR1: Andre Johnson
WR2: Kevin Walter
TE: Owen Daniels

LT: Duane Brown (special mention: It's sad that Ephraim Salaam is the special mention, but his performance last year rivals Brown's this year. Pre-Salaam was trash, sorry to say for you Wand lovers.)
LG: Pitts
C: Steve McKinney (When healthy he was solid.)
RG: Mike Brisiel (special mention: Fred Weary, one of our inaugural draftees who was solid during the latter portion of his career.)
RT: Eric Winston (No contest, Wade and Wiegert were trash at RT. Winston is a solid up and coming player with potential of becoming a pro-bowler at some point.)

DEFENSE:
CB1: Aaron Glenn (By far our best corner in the history of the team, IMO.)
CB2: Dunta Robinson (Never turned into the lockdown corner we imagined he would be, but he's a solid defender and great tackler.)

FS: Marlon McRee (special mention Eugene Wilson, very similar players. Marlon went on to become a decent starter on a great San Diego defense. Not a whole lot to choose from here.)
SS: Glenn Earl (Toss up. You could insert Eric Brown, CC, or Nick Ferguson and you wouldn't get much of an argument from me. Once again, not much to choose from.)

LE: Earl Cochran (Toss up.)
DT: Gary Walker (Didn't he make the pro-bowl our first year? He played with some great attitude.)
DT: Seth Payne (Was one of the bright spots for us when he was healthy.)
RE: Mario (Duh.)

WLB: Jamie Sharper (Not sure whether he'd fit better at WLB or SLB, but he was a good defender for us for a few years. Haven't seen enough of Adibi to name him here.)
MLB: Demeco (Easy.)
SLB: Kailee Wong (Haven't seen enough of Diles yet.)

SPECIAL TEAMS:
K: Kris Brown
P: Matt Turk
KR: JJ Moses
PR: Jacoby

Who makes your All-Texans team? Who did I forget?

infantrycak
12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Frankly, I think Pitts might have a good argument for best LT since he posted the least sacks allowed from that position in 2003. He should at least get honorable mention over 10 sack Salaam.

Domanick Davis--what separates overachiever from gutsy determined player?

Tough comparing players from two different schemes. Walker played a DT in a 4-3 but for us he played and went to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE.

I'd have put Andre Davis at kick returner and JJ Moses at punt returner.

texanhead08
12-31-2008, 07:13 PM
I would take Andre Davis or Jerome Mathis over JJ Moses. I know Moses was solid and didnt turn the ball over but he doesn't have any td returns like Davis and Mathis.

Fox
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Frankly, I think Pitts might have a good argument for best LT since he posted the least sacks allowed from that position in 2003. He should at least get honorable mention over 10 sack Salaam.

Domanick Davis--what separates overachiever from gutsy determined player?

Tough comparing players from two different schemes. Walker played a DT in a 4-3 but for us he played and went to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE.

I'd have put Andre Davis at kick returner and JJ Moses at punt returner.

Good point on Pitts. For DD, overachiever and gutsy determination are not mutually exclusive entities in my mind. Slaton just has more ability to go with the intangibles, IMO; tough call though, no question.

As far as KR, I forgot about Mathis, considering he did make the pro bowl as KR I'd probably stick him in there. I still like keeping JJ Moses around as PR.

ObsiWan
12-31-2008, 09:19 PM
I'd give Marcus Coleman honorable mention at CB. Seven INTs in 2003. Then they screwed up and moved him to FS.

eriadoc
01-01-2009, 01:44 AM
I'll take Dom Davis on what he achieved over Slaton to this point, but since I can have multiple backs on my DC, I take both :)

Too many people don't want to give DD his props. He put up 1776 yards from scrimmage and 14 TDs in '04. We're all giddy now over Slaton's year this year, which doesn't measure up statistically (which doesn't mean everything). DD was asked to do a lot for the team, and he gave it his all. He will always be one of my favorite Texans.

Hook'er
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
..................and Sharper was MLB not a OLB.

infantrycak
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
..................and Sharper was MLB not a OLB.

But when he played in a 4-3 (not for us) he was an OLB.

Texan_Bill
01-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I would take Andre Davis or Jerome Mathis over JJ Moses. I know Moses was solid and didnt turn the ball over but he doesn't have any td returns like Davis and Mathis.

For nostalgic reasons: Avion Black.... :whip:

Hagar
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
While Fred Weary's career was cut short, he was a significantly better G then Brisiel. Brisiel couldn't get off the practice squad when Fred was in the line-up.

Brando
01-02-2009, 10:58 AM
What no Matt Stevens? j/k Good team, it is interesting most of the offense is from this years squad. Jerome Mathis as a kick returner could receive consideration because he did make the Pro-Bowl in his rookie year.

eriadoc
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
What no Matt Stevens? j/k Good team, it is interesting most of the offense is from this years squad. Jerome Mathis as a kick returner could receive consideration because he did make the Pro-Bowl in his rookie year.

All Pro, in fact. He's by far the best KR we've ever had.

Seņor Stan
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM

All time Disaster Squad...thought to be an answer...turned out to be the wrong question

QB David Carr (No positives other than 19-10 and the fact he may have saved us from drafting VY)
RB Ahman Green (for $/yard return alone)
FB Jameel Cook (kept Leach off the field for too long...then started burning blunts.)
WR1 Corey Bradford ( all feets no hands)
WR2 Eric Moulds ( the only record he will ever hold is "largest thread ever"
TE Bennie Joppru (poor guy)

T Tony Boselli (dishonorable mention Victor Riley)
T Todd Wade (That was a lot of $ for this slug)
G Kasey Studdard (for having to look at his sweaty boiler in the VY sausage pic.)
G Milford Brown (cost a supplemental pick..not much)
C Mike Flannagan (sheesh, over the hill doesn't begin to describe it)

"D" a bit skewed because of the 3-4 to 4-3 thing...

DE Anthony Weaver (turrible)
DT Charles Hill (3rd rounder that didn't make it out of training camp)
DT Travis Johnson (Casserly 1st round lineman playing like... well...a Casserly 1st round lineman)
DE Robaire Smith (Did not live up to big contract or #s he put up in Tennessee)

LB Jason Babin (were those 13 sacks over 3 years worth a #2,#3,#4, and swap in the 5th?
LB Morlon Greenwood (yeesh...at least he can rap...sorta)
LB Antwaan Peek (3rd rounder...never quite made it happen)

CB1 Phillip Buchannon (I want my 2nd and 3rd rounders back.
CB2 Jaques Reeves (Turn around!!!)
SS Matt Stevens (a board consensus and an icon for suckitude for sure)
FS Michael Boulware (that's all we got from the Babin Deal)

Happy Freakin' New Year.

hot pickle
01-02-2009, 12:23 PM
i miss kailee wong...he was solid when he was healthy