PDA

View Full Version : Chris Canty??

thunderkyss
12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Not as a defensive end, but a DT.... NT, what do you think??

Hooston Texan
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Canty has been a 3-4 guy (playing DE) his entire college and pro career. He was an excellent DE at Virginia--his build resembled Mario's, and many wondered whether he would have been better served playing a 4-3 DE. Now, on occasion at UVA, he'd play DT in a 4-3 nickle package where the linebackers would play DE, but that was in pure pass rush situations.

I haven't following him that closely since he went to Dallas, but it looks like he's bulked up quite since his college days. A 3-4 DE can sometimes resemble a 4-3 DT, but Canty's resemblance is more towards the quick-type of DT we already have (Okoye, TJ) as opposed to the earth-mover type we desperately need (Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins). As I said, Canty has bulked up since college, but he has not bulked up that much.

I'd love to have Canty on this team (there's my bias speaking again, oh well), but I think his optimal spot is either as slimmed-down DE opposite Mario or as a quick DT. We already have plenty of the latter.

Vinny
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
3-4 linemen are all pretty much DT's since the primary edge rusher is a olb.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Chris Canty just hasn't done much in Dallas. We had high expectations for the guy, but he and Marcus Spears just haven't developed into the type of guys we hoped for.

Canty just has so much potential. Maybe a position change and move to another team would do him good.

thunderkyss
01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Chris Canty just hasn't done much in Dallas. We had high expectations for the guy, but he and Marcus Spears just haven't developed into the type of guys we hoped for.

Canty just has so much potential. Maybe a position change and move to another team would do him good.

& I don't understand that very much, They are both solid young players. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be happy with them.

Just for reference, what kind of performance were you expecting. I mean Demarcus Ware got 20 Sacks, Brady James has been active in the back-field, Jay Ratliff is darn near a household name.

Isn't that what big uglies are supposed to be??