PDA

View Full Version : rumblings in Washington have Gray to Houston

barrett
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/jerry_gray_a_wanted_man_again.html?wprss=redskinsi nsider

They seem to think that Jerry Gray is likely to head to Houston and it also mentions safeties coach Steve Jackson coming along.

Hook'er
12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
.........are Jerry Gray & Steve Jackson any good?

Insideop
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Good find barrett! Did Gray run a 4-3 when he was a DC?

Hook'er
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Jackson would be nice if we draft a 1st round Safety!

Ole Miss Texan
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Very interesting! Tell them to bring Laron Landry over with them.

Mari-OWNED!
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Well the Redskins were 7th against the pass, and 8th against the run.

I say they're both worth at least an interview!

Hook'er
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
LeRon Landry would be awesome!

nunusguy
12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Good work Barrett !
The more the merrier and the more good candidates to choose from I always say.

Hook'er
12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Well the Redskins were 7th against the pass, and 8th against the run.

I say they're both worth at least an interview!

#4 overall D!:doot:

Pantherstang84
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Good enough along with the #3 offense...

Indianapolis who?

Kaiser Toro
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Makes a lot of sense.

Porky
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/jerry_gray_a_wanted_man_again.html?wprss=redskinsi nsider

They seem to think that Jerry Gray is likely to head to Houston and it also mentions safeties coach Steve Jackson coming along.

I think your reading a little too much into it. It basically says he would like to have the job and that Houston is likely interested. No sheet. Houston is interested in a whole host of guys.

*I'm in no way knocking the selection if it happens. I like Jerry Gray, and think he would make a good choice.

**Wasn't Steve Jackson a safety with the Oilers back in the day?

Mari-OWNED!
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Yes he was.

Jackie Chiles
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Gray ran a 4-3 in Buffalo and he interviewed for out HC position but obviously lost out to Kubiak. I remember Gary Walker pushing for him pretty hard. Gray was the DC for Buffalo from 2002-2006 I believe. When you look at the numbers he had a few really really good defenses and a couple not so good. One thing that I do like though is no matter how well they did they were able to get to the QB on a pretty consistent basis. They only had 1 top notch pass rusher (sound familiar) in Aaron Schobel and hes not in the same class as Mario. Their LBers got some nice sack numbers but they had better personnel than we currently have. (Pat Williams, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Schobel, etc.)

Overall I would be very happy with Gray as our DC. I think he will bring an aggressiveness that we have lacked. We obviously aren't there yet as far as the players go but I am confident he would bring a shopping list and know what to look for, likely at the top of the list would be a big ol run stopper. He coached under Greg Williams when he was the DC in Buffalo and followed him to Washington but not to Jacksonville.

J-Russ
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Being discussed over at the Redskin's forum. (http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=277361)

I don't know anything about the guy, so I can't really comment. The 'Skins fan seems to really value the guy though.

bckey
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I would love to see Gray get the job. His name bounced around last time we needed an defensive coordinator.

GI-Dawgs
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Gray ran a 4-3 in Buffalo and he interviewed for out HC position but obviously lost out to Kubiak. I remember Gary Walker pushing for him pretty hard. Gray was the DC for Buffalo from 2002-2006 I believe. When you look at the numbers he had a few really really good defenses and a couple not so good. One thing that I do like though is no matter how well they did they were able to get to the QB on a pretty consistent basis. They only had 1 top notch pass rusher (sound familiar) in Aaron Schobel and hes not in the same class as Mario. Their LBers got some nice sack numbers but they had better personnel than we currently have. (Pat Williams, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Schobel, etc.)

Overall I would be very happy with Gray as our DC. I think he will bring an aggressiveness that we have lacked. We obviously aren't there yet as far as the players go but I am confident he would bring a shopping list and know what to look for, likely at the top of the list would be a big ol run stopper. He coached under Greg Williams when he was the DC in Buffalo and followed him to Washington but not to Jacksonville.

I believe Gray was DC in Buffalo from 2001-2005. Had the #2 ranked defense in both 2003 and 2004, finished 9th ('03) and 3rd ('04) in sacks.
Like to see them bring in Rod Marinelli, has many years experience coaching DL. Tackles have to do a better job keeping Ryans free to make plays. Of course Gray knows DBs, another area needing improvement.

DiehardChris
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
That's just one blogger/writer's opinion, it hardly qualifies as rumblings... but since Gray interviewed for the HC job last time around, I see no reason why he won't be one of the top candidates for DC if he doesn't end up a HC somewhere else.

I met Gray once when I was a kid when my family had Oiler season tickets. He made fun of my pants. Heh.

J-Russ
12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
That's just one blogger/writer's opinion, it hardly qualifies as rumblings... but since Gray interviewed for the HC job last time around, I see no reason why he won't be one of the top candidates for DC if he doesn't end up a HC somewhere else.

I met Gray once when I was a kid when my family had Oiler season tickets. He made fun of my pants. Heh.

Several players believe that position is very intriguing to Gray (a former Houston Oiler with ties to that area), and expect him to leave the Redskins for a promotion. Safeties coach Steve Jackson has strong ties to members of the Texans' front office, and with their defense being reshaped, they might make a play for Jackson, too.

Specnatz
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM

You were probably wearing parachute pants at the time and deserved it. :specnatz:

DiehardChris
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Several players believe that position is very intriguing to Gray (a former Houston Oiler with ties to that area), and expect him to leave the Redskins for a promotion. Safeties coach Steve Jackson has strong ties to members of the Texans' front office, and with their defense being reshaped, they might make a play for Jackson, too.

I think he's a very likely candidate... and at or near the top of my wish list.

da Bull
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Hey Chris....no kid from Lubbock should be making fun of anybody's pants.

dickieb
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
It might be nice to get these two guys and Rod Marenelli as the Dline coach.

Texans_Chick
12-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Check out this very gossipy ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668) about Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and Steve Jackson...FWIW:

A lot of Taylor's woes can be traced a lot to the hiring of Steve Jackson as Redskins safety coach. Jackson came with Williams from Buffalo, where he was a lower-level defensive coach, and Jackson supposedly was hurt when Williams chose DeWayne Walker as his main secondary coach in 2003 and 2004. He wanted the job himself, and when Walker left after the 2005 season, he assumed he'd get it. But Williams' old defensive coordinator in Buffalo, Jerry Gray, had just become available, and Williams hired him. Jackson was ticked.

So Williams threw him a bone, a bone which has literally torn up the secondary. He made Jackson safeties coach and Gray cornerbacks coach and allowed Jackson to run his own meetings. That means that the Redskins' safeties and corners do not meet together, which is practically unheard of.

"Talk to any coach in the league, and ask them, 'Have you ever heard of corners and safeties not meeting together?'" the Redskins player says. "They'd say, 'What are you talking about?' That's crazy. But ever since minicamps, OTAs, training camp, we hadn't met as a secondary. On the field, the corners will start making a call or doing something, and the safeties will be, 'What are you talking about? We didn't go over that.' So now the corners are expecting help in certain situations, and the safeties aren't getting there in time. And people got beat in the secondary.

"Everybody was saying they had to start meeting together. So the last three weeks they have. But 40 percent of the time Steven Jackson's not in the meeting. Because he pouts, because Jerry's running the meeting."

On the field, Jackson's (and presumably Williams') techniques aren't working, either. The innovators of Cover 2, such as Monte Kiffin and Tony Dungy, want their safeties staying deep, 2 yards inside the numbers and staying squared up. They want them reading the quarterback and breaking downhill on everything.

But Jackson began teaching Taylor and Co. not to read the quarterback, but to read the receivers' breaks and releases and react accordingly. He wanted them to be aggressive out of Cover 2, to help on the run, even though Cover 2 is not known to be a run-stopping defense. Williams wants to call it a lot because, ideally, if you can stop the run with a Cover 2, you have the best of both worlds, because it's specifically designed to prevent the deep ball. But Jackson kept exhorting Taylor and his early-season safety mate, Adam Archuleta, to be aggressive playing the run out of the Cover 2, and they began to get beat on the play-action pass repeatedly.

According to the Redskins player, Jackson then began berating his players profanely -- although he tends to go lighter on Taylor -- and they reached bottom in Philadelphia, when Donte' Stallworth beat Taylor deep for an 84-yard touchdown. Witnesses say that at that point, the other defensive coaches became officially peeved at Jackson for making Taylor "play like a robot," and for turning him into a confused, regressing player who now tunes out coaches and teammates.

"And then Steve Jackson began pouting at practice," the player said. "He pouts at practice. He'll stand by himself and won't coach anybody. This last game in Tampa, we had a player at halftime go up to him and say, 'Are you going to just sit there and pout, or are you gonna f------ coach your guys up?'"

More discussion of that article here (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/02/dcsween_guest_blog.html).

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Sold.

painekiller
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Good find barrett! Did Gray run a 4-3 when he was a DC?

Gray is a Gregg Williams/Jeff Fisher protege. He went to Texas, was an All Pro DB, later played for the Oilers. He started coaching for Fisher and followed Williams to Buffalo. Stevie Jackson was an Oiler who who was coached by Gray.

Both are highly respected.

**I guess Jackson and Gray are not so close" see Texans Chick's post above

nero THE zero
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
I was really lukewarm on Gray but gauging the 'Skin fans' reaction I might have to reconsider.

12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Check out this very gossipy ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668) about Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and Steve Jackson...FWIW:

More discussion of that article here (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/02/dcsween_guest_blog.html).

well dang.

ObsiWan
12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

well nobody wants a pouty player, much less a pouty coach

Kaiser Toro
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
well nobody wants a pouty player, much less a pouty coach

The article is two years old, fwiw.

hookinreds
12-31-2008, 03:49 PM

I just remember Jackson being a "complainer" on the field, and seeing Jackson's name plate about 3 yard behind the WR's name plate way too much when he was with the Oilers. Don't remember specifics, but in the spirit of the Hillshire Farms commercial...when you say Jackson, I say toast. Jackson! Toast! I know nothing of the man for his coaching, but it sure sounds alot like Jackson the player.

Texans_Chick
12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
The article is two years old, fwiw.

Yup, and totally gossipy. Can you imagine the Texans players being that specific in dumping coaches in the grease?

Basically just about any coach who has done anything in the league is going to have positives and negatives about them. Nature of the business and as we know you can't take media reports as gospel.

Just put that out there as something interesting....definitely a FWIW.

barrett
12-31-2008, 06:08 PM
not sure how true or not but it does say something... not alot, but something about his demeanor and it's not exactly a shiny happy rainbow kind of thing to hear about jackson...

at any rate... thus far in the gossip here at TT.com i'm liking the talk about Williams and Gray. I hope our CB's stay man to man though.

eriadoc
12-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Jackson was the guy who got run by repeatedly in the 35-3 game. It looked like he was playing short zone with no over the top help, because he just back-pedaled while they printed down the field. I will never forget Steve Jackson.

I sure as hell hope he's a better coach, but honestly, I am so scarred from that game, I want nothing to do with him. It's not logical, I know. But I don't care.

GP
12-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Jackson was the guy who got run by repeatedly in the 35-3 game. It looked like he was playing short zone with no over the top help, because he just back-pedaled while they printed down the field. I will never forget Steve Jackson.

I sure as hell hope he's a better coach, but honestly, I am so scarred from that game, I want nothing to do with him. It's not logical, I know. But I don't care.

We should have bar-coded any player or coach right after that game.

Scan the arm when they interview. BEEP! "Sorry, I'm going to have to ask you leave the premises now..."

Jerry Gray seems solid. Great track record at Buff and at D.C.

TheRealJoker
12-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Jerry Gray is just the DC we need to get the most out of our secondary. He specializes in secondary and we have several young DBs who have flashed potential (Bennett, Moulden, Reeves, Barber, Harrison) and Gray would give them the best opportunity to fulfill that potential. Get an elite talent at safety like that Mays guy from USC who can be Gray's Sean Taylor 2.0 and the DBs could transform into the most improved unit in 09.

Think of the jump in improvement the WRs made from 06-07 going from one of the biggest question marks on the team to the biggest strength on the team. That's the type of jump in improvement i'd expect from the secondary with Jerry Gray or Mcdermott from Philadelphia.

Would prefer to get Gray since he already has a track record of success as a DC and we'd know what type of scheme he is looking to run and the type of players needed to run that scheme. Some things we never had in Richard Smith throughout his tenure.

TexansFanatic
12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Jerry Gray is just the DC we need to get the most out of our secondary. He specializes in secondary and we have several young DBs who have flashed potential (Bennett, Moulden, Reeves, Barber, Harrison) and Gray would give them the best opportunity to fulfill that potential. Get an elite talent at safety like that Mays guy from USC who can be Gray's Sean Taylor 2.0 and the DBs could transform into the most improved unit in 09.

I really like that idea. A headhunting safety can have a huge impact on a defense.

texanhead08
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Both guys played for the Oilers and coached for the Titans at one point in time. Steve Jackson is also a graduate of Klein Forest High School.

PHAROAH
01-01-2009, 12:53 AM
A greg williams desciple good he like to pressure the QB.

El Tejano
01-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Steve Jackson was part of a draft that included three other DBs for The Oilers that were later called The Young Guns -Steve Jackson, Darryl Lewis, Marcus Robertson, and Mike Dumas. How do you like that for nastalga. Steve Jackson, as many of you stated was a player in the game that I will always hate along with another guy named:

Jerry Gray who was the starting corner for the Oilers in that game. If anyone remembers, he actually recovered a fumble but the play was blown dead (amazing huh) and that turnover would've sealed the deal and we would've gone to the next round.

Enough of that though. I want Gray as the DC.

eriadoc
01-01-2009, 01:39 AM
I am permanently scarred. No to both, IMO.

mussop
01-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Jackson was a CB at Purdue. GM Rick Smith was his teammate at safety.

steelbtexan
01-01-2009, 03:19 AM
I am permanently scarred. No to both, IMO.

We are on the same page

I dont want anyone associated with the 35-3 oilers-Bud Adams

H-town kicked Bud out of town for 35-3 if the Texans go bad because they hired coaches that played in that game things will not go well for Mr. McNair from that point forward.

the Texans need to hire anybody who wasn't associated with 35-3. If they hire anyone that had anything to do with 35-3 I will cancel my season tickets. Surely they can find a qualified canidate for th DC job that has nothing to do with 35-3 (Sean McDermot)

If memory serves me right I believe the during 35-3 Jackson wascaught looking in the backfield as Bebee ran by him & he was doing the same thin as Reed ran by him for another TD.

As TC stated he seemed to be teaching Taylor the same tricks.

I just say no to anyone that had anything to do with 35-3

HAPPY NEW YEAR

ObsiWan
01-01-2009, 07:45 AM
wow...
amazing....
those guys in the Middle East could take lessons on how long to hold a grudge from eriadoc and steeltexan

Malloy
01-01-2009, 07:58 AM
We are on the same page

I dont want anyone associated with the 35-3 oilers-Bud Adams

H-town kicked Bud out of town for 35-3 if the Texans go bad because they hired coaches that played in that game things will not go well for Mr. McNair from that point forward.

the Texans need to hire anybody who wasn't associated with 35-3. If they hire anyone that had anything to do with 35-3 I will cancel my season tickets. Surely they can find a qualified canidate for th DC job that has nothing to do with 35-3 (Sean McDermot)

If memory serves me right I believe the during 35-3 Jackson wascaught looking in the backfield as Bebee ran by him & he was doing the same thin as Reed ran by him for another TD.

As TC stated he seemed to be teaching Taylor the same tricks.

I just say no to anyone that had anything to do with 35-3

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I suggest that we clear out in the fans that watched the game, cant have you guys ruin my Houston Texans :)

eriadoc
01-01-2009, 09:24 AM

Yup.

wow...
amazing....
those guys in the Middle East could take lessons on how long to hold a grudge from eriadoc and steeltexan

Yup.

steelbtexan
01-01-2009, 09:50 AM
wow...
Amazing....
Those guys in the middle east could take lessons on how long to hold a grudge from eriadoc and steeltexan

yup

SheTexan
01-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I suggest that we clear out in the fans that watched the game, cant have you guys ruin my Houston Texans :)

Well, I watched the game, and don't remember much about Gray or Jackson. Obviously, I've never played the game, but, it seems to me that both might have learned a hard lesson from that infamous game. SOOO, can I stay??:)

I'm just hoping GK will STOP with the trend of hiring "wanna be's!" Someone with experience PLEASE!!! If Gray is the most qualified for the job then bring him on. I could care less about what happened to BUD'S old team! It's history, over, done with, and the Oilers moved on to the hills of Tenn, where I am sure they will continue blowing big games. I don't want that black cloud following me around forever!

:texan:

TexanSam
01-01-2009, 11:24 AM

You'll cancel your season tickets if the Texans hire a coach who played horribly in a game 15 years ago? Wow...

DBCooper
01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't care how anyone played in the "game that won't be mentioned".

Give me a DC that is aggressive and has a plan.

Overalls
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, I watched the game, and don't remember much about Gray or Jackson. Obviously, I've never played the game, but, it seems to me that both might have learned a hard lesson from that infamous game. SOOO, can I stay??:)

:texan:

I watched the game too and remember when Buffalo scored their first TD after half time. I guess I had been an Oiler fan too long because even that early in the game I had a gut feeling they were going to blow it. I watched in horror getting as drunk as I possible could. I don't remember much after that except the outcome. I don't hold a grudge on Gray though. He wouldn't be my first choice but I could live with him. As long as he teaches the team to bring the heat.

:fans:

Vinny
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Jackson was a nickel back for the Oilers. It was the year when we took 3 defensive backs with our first 4 picks. Darryl Lewis (2nd) , Mike Dumas (2nd) and "little Stevie" Jackson as the 4th rounder.

steelbtexan
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm OK with Gray

No to Jackson

Vinny
01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm OK with Gray

No to Jackson
could I axe why? Why wouldn't you let Gray pick his coaches?

steelbtexan
01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Because Jackson was one of the main reasons for 35-3.

After reading about how the Gray- Jackson tandem was unable to work together in Wash. I relly dont wany either one of them. Gray would be a last resort option IMO.

Only Jackson could screw up the late- great Taylor.

Pantherstang84
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
the Texans need to hire anybody who wasn't associated with 35-3. If they hire anyone that had anything to do with 35-3 I will cancel my season tickets.

Do you have the PSLs to go with? I'd be interested.

Texans_Chick
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Because Jackson was one of the main reasons for 35-3.

After reading about how the Gray- Jackson tandem was unable to work together in Wash. I relly dont wany either one of them. Gray would be a last resort option IMO.

Only Jackson could screw up the late- great Taylor.

Hey, I wouldn't read too much into that. It was a very gossipy article from a pretty messed up team at the time--lots of chaos. And there are a number of Redskin fans who are big fans of Gray and Jackson.

steelbtexan
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Do you have the PSLs to go with? I'd be interested.

Yes I do

Sec.325 Row H

FirstTexansFan
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Redskins fans were high on Charley Casserly as well....not sure that smell has left the building yet ;)

dickieb
01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Would you rather have Gray & Jackson or do you want Richard Smith and Jon Hoke back? Careful who you hate on and why... We need to focus all the hate and negativity on the guys we just ran out of Houston - not on a couple of ex-oiler players that might come in and help clean up our current mess. Just my perspective.

FirstTexansFan
01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
My comment isn't a hate tirade towards anyone, but a humorous comment on the fact they are coming from the Redskins. I don't have a particular favorite in who'd I'd like to see as our next DC. I will say this, there seems to be many options, and I hope Kubes studies them all closely before making a decision :)

dickieb
01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
That wasn't directed to you FTF but just a general thought for the thread.

Texans_Chick
01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Redskins fans were high on Charley Casserly as well....not sure that smell has left the building yet ;)

Really? I don't know of a single Redskin fan who was a Casserly fan.

"See, and besides you can't be listening to fans, see." /Casserly

TEXANRED
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Really? I don't know of a single Redskin fan who was a Casserly fan.

"See, and besides you can't be listening to fans, see." /Casserly

I knew a Redskin fan at the time and his direct quote was "Casserly is going to ruin your team." He said to see the Desmond Howard draft pick for proof.

As far as Gray goes I am all for it. He was a heck of a coach with the Bills. He would be an upgrade over Smith. Of course Vic Fangio is an upgrade over Smith so that isn't saying much.

badboy
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
i would be ok with Gray but I think the Bush/ Ray Rhodes combo may prove ok too.

RipTraxx
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I say we get Ray Rhodes health in order and give it to him. :d:

Lucky
01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
It was the year when we took 3 defensive backs with our first 4 picks. Darryl Lewis (2nd) , Mike Dumas (2nd) and "little Stevie" Jackson as the 4th rounder.
The Oilers also selected Marcus Robertson in the 4th round, probably the best of the "Young Guns". Robertson was a 1st team All Pro FS in 1993.

AFTexanFan
01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Jackson would be nice if we draft a 1st round Safety!

Taylor Mays:logo:

b0ng
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Taylor Mays:logo:

Hope he's there cause otherwise we're getting a guy we've never heard of in a much later round because it's him and William Moore and that's it for the top safety prospects.

TexansSeminole
01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Hope he's there cause otherwise we're getting a guy we've never heard of in a much later round because it's him and William Moore and that's it for the top safety prospects.

There are a couple more: Hamlin, Chancellor, Cook to name a few.

Texanmike02
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
As far as Gray being associated with the buffalo game... I bet he never goes into prevent defense too early. We'll be up by 21 in the 4th with 0:42 left qb drops back as we send a jailbreak after him.

Bring him in.

Mike

ObsiWan
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
As far as Gray being associated with the buffalo game... I bet he never goes into prevent defense too early. We'll be up by 21 in the 4th with 0:42 left qb drops back as we send a jailbreak after him.

Bring him in.

Mike

so you think he's still tramatized by that game?
:D

TexansFanatic
01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
The Oilers also selected Marcus Robertson in the 4th round, probably the best of the "Young Guns". Robertson was a 1st team All Pro FS in 1993.

Yep. I think Robertson ended up having the best career of all those guys.

GP
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
could I axe why? Why wouldn't you let Gray pick his coaches?

Jerry Gray could bring Donald Duck for all I care.

He has had top defenses, and it's been RECENT.

Plus, like TC has said: The article was old, a lot may have changed. I can see a scenario where Steve Jackson got some clarity and perspective on things.

Jerry Gray would be awesome.

TEXANRED
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Bring him in.

Mike

That doesnt mean anything. Richard Smith was also part of that game and Smith continued to go into the prevent anytime we had a lead.

Vinny
01-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Yep. I think Robertson ended up having the best career of all those guys. Darryl Lewis was a hell of a corner back....both of these players were top notch.

JamesC
01-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Steve Jackson is also a graduate of Klein Forest High School.

I was going to point that out till you said it. He's one of the very few to make it from my old high school.:doot:

Wolf
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray was the second person to interview for the vacant Lions head-coaching job, meeting with team brass last week. As of Thursday, he said he’s been given no indication when the team will make a hire.

“They’re going to interview the rest of the guys and to me that’s only fair because you want to get it right,” Gray said. “The position they’re in, they want to get it right. You take as long as you need. To me, you got to be thorough.”

Gray, who interviewed one other time for a head-coaching job three years ago with the Houston Texans, wouldn’t reveal much about the interview process Thursday but called his meeting with the Lions “a great experience.”

Though some have suggested Gray is a better candidate to be Detroit’s next defensive coordinator — he spent two years running the defense in Buffalo for another reported candidate, Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey — Gray said he interviewed only to be a head coach.

“I think I have what it takes to be a head coach,” he said. “If you look at (my playing and coaching career) overall, I think I have a whole lot more successes than failures.”

Gray, who's also been mentioned as a candidate to take over as defensive coordinator in Houston, said he does have a “good relationship with” Mularkey.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/01/09/sports/doc49672d388847e674541892.txt

El Tejano
01-09-2009, 03:44 PM
As much as I want Gray, Wolf's post above proves my thought that he doesn't want to come here. When you're a DC with aspirations to be a HC, then why go to a team that didn't want you to be a HC and coach under the guy who beat you out of the job.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
As much as I want Gray, Wolf's post above proves my thought that he doesn't want to come here. When you're a DC with aspirations to be a HC, then why go to a team that didn't want you to be a HC and coach under the guy who beat you out of the job.

Re-read the first sentence of the first quote in his post - he's a secondary coach, not a DC.

Polo
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Because it may be beneficial to your career

GP
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Isn't there a mandate by the NFL that teams interview a minority candidate?

Seems like a pretty big jump to go from a defensive secondary coaching position to a head coaching position without being an OC or DC first. Correct?

Just wondering if Detroit was sincere in their interview of Gray or if it was because Gray was a hot name AND a minority.

GP
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Because it may be beneficial to your career

Exactly.

He could do a great job with our defense, and that gets him that d-coord job to help him make the jump to a future HC job.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Seems like a pretty big jump to go from a defensive secondary coaching position to a head coaching position without being an OC or DC first. Correct?

Just wondering if Detroit was sincere in their interview of Gray or if it was because Gray was a hot name AND a minority.

They are interviewing him probably because of the Rooney rule.

He has been a defensive coordinator before.

If he is going to be a defensive coordinator again, he probably doesn't want to do it in Detroit.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

On Gray, he has been a DC and was a hot name probably 4 or 5 years ago.

While not the norm, there are a handfull of coaches who have went from position coach to head coach w/o coordinating one side of the ball. Andy Reid would be one of the most notable w/o looking up 32 guys.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Herm Edwards did it when the Jets hired him (which may prove you're point), and John Harbaugh was the Eagles secondary coach when the Ravens hired him last year.

It seemed to be a kind of trendy thing last year with Harbaugh, Sparano, and Zorn getting HC gigs without ever being coordinators. Oh yeah, Marinelli went straight from D-Line coach to HC the last time the Lions hired a HC.

texanhead08
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Matt Millen was doing the hiring then. If he could have Millen might have hired a WR to coach too.

GP
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM

If he is going to be a defensive coordinator again, he probably doesn't want to do it in Detroit.

LOL. No doubt!

I thought Gray had never risen above a position coach.

Personally, I would love to be anything BUT a head coach if I were in the game of coaching. Pretty lonely at the top, and only a few guys (Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Joe Gibbs, Walsh, Shula) come away looking like rock stars.

PapaL
01-09-2009, 06:19 PM

For evidence of this check the 0-16 Rod Marinelli led Lions. DL Coach to HC.

TexanSam
01-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Well Gray used to be a defensive coordinator in Buffalo. His defenses were pretty good while he was there. Not sure why he took a step down to coach the secondary in Washington though

Rozelle
01-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Gray has ties with Detroit GM Martin Mayhew (also a CB) they played together in Tampa. Detroit surely has interest in Gray as a DC also.

barrett
01-10-2009, 11:00 PM
read a report today that Gregg Williams seems "very interested in the Saints DC job" but was interviewing with Green Bay today and maybe Houston. Nolan is the leading candidate in GB so where that leaves us right now I don't know.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/?/base/sports-4/1231631409143850.xml&coll=1

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37372354.html

Specnatz
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
read a report today that Gregg Williams seems "very interested in the Saints DC job" but was interviewing with Green Bay today and maybe Houston. Nolan is the leading candidate in GB so where that leaves us right now I don't know.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/?/base/sports-4/1231631409143850.xml&coll=1

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37372354.html

Sean McDermott, your the next DC fot the Houston Texans.

barrett
01-10-2009, 11:20 PM
we may have to wait a while to even get a chance to interview someone like him the way this playoff season is going.

Maddict5
01-11-2009, 05:08 AM
On Gray, he has been a DC and was a hot name probably 4 or 5 years ago.

While not the norm, there are a handfull of coaches who have went from position coach to head coach w/o coordinating one side of the ball. Andy Reid would be one of the most notable w/o looking up 32 guys.

john harbraugh was just a ST coach before the ravens gig

infantrycak
01-11-2009, 08:29 AM
john harbraugh was just a ST coach before the ravens gig

He was the DB coach for the year before getting his HC gig.

Maddict5
01-11-2009, 09:19 AM
He was the DB coach for the year before getting his HC gig.

was he? i didnt even look it up. i just knew he came out of nowhere (co-ordinator history-wise) to get the job

infantrycak
01-11-2009, 10:19 AM
was he? i didnt even look it up. i just knew he came out of nowhere (co-ordinator history-wise) to get the job

He went and asked for a re-assignment because he wanted to get to a HC gig eventually and special teams guys don't get any consideration.