PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton NFL Highlights

SSlaton20
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFqO4mYjSc
This gets me pumped for all the years to come.

Thorn
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah, we sorta struck gold with this 3rd rounder.

Thorn
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Three years in the NFL, Reggie Bush has rushed for 1550 yards. Slayton got 1282 in his first year.

SteveSlaton20
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Three years in the NFL, Reggie Bush has rushed for 1550 yards. Slayton got 1282 in his first year.

Reggie Bush sucks. :thisbig:

b0ng
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pulled in the next few days.

Pretty decent high light reel and the slow motion stuff makes me appreciate how slippery steve is.

AnthonyE
12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pulled in the next few days.

Pretty decent high light reel and the slow motion stuff makes me appreciate how slippery steve is.

I've had both of my TMV's (Texans Music Videos as I call them lol) pulled within a week last week. The Houston Texans Turn the Corner one and Knights of Houstonia. Very lame.

I need to use a private host.

Mike Kerns
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I cant say Im right about much when it comes to the draft, but I was amped when we drafted him after seeing what he did to my Bulldogs in that one Sugar Bowl...

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the enjoyable 2:30 minutes. Dead Legs Slaton, can turn goat piss into gasoline.

b0ng
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I've had both of my TMV's (Texans Music Videos as I call them lol) pulled within a week last week. The Houston Texans Turn the Corner one and Knights of Houstonia. Very lame.

I need to use a private host.

You'd get a cease and desist from the NFL if it had more than :15 secs of video footage of an NFL game.

The NFL sucks in that regard.

PHAROAH
12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Steve Slaton = Tony Dorsett

Vinny
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Steve Slaton = Tony Dorsett
Dorsett had better long speed. Steve has great quickness and gets up to speed faster than most backs but lacks that last gear Dorsett had.

eriadoc
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Dorsett had better long speed. Steve has great quickness and gets up to speed faster than most backs but lacks that last gear Dorsett had.

That's what I was thinking.

I was also thinking we should just stick to exclusively drafting 3rd down/kick return running backs. We've done pretty well in that regard :D

Vinny
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I was also thinking we should just stick to exclusively drafting 3rd down/kick return running backs. We've done pretty well in that regard :D
no kidding...forget their tastes in feature backs...*cough* cough* Mercillis, *cough* Stacey Mack *cough* Jon Wells *cough *cough* Tony Hollings...ahman...just go get us another "3rd down back" please.

rollinstone18
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I love how Slaton ran over Michael Griffin for a td, then later in the game juked him for a big run.

I need a Slaton jersey, preferably in battle red. Anyone want to hook me up?

mattieuk
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Awesome video. This will be a good reminder to me over the off season that not quite getting over the top of the hill this year wasn't that bad, when we've this guy to pull out the big plays for us.

infantrycak
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Dorsett was 2/3rd's legs and 1/3rd torso with a beautiful open field run--Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9mr8Ib6wc)

That's what I was thinking.

While this was said at least partially in jest, that's exactly what I want is a 2nd guy who can come in and absolutely nothing changes about the O.

edo783
12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
While this was said at least partially in jest, that's exactly what I want is a 2nd guy who can come in and absolutely nothing changes about the O.

Moats kind of looked like that Sunday. Not sure if that was just an aberration or not. If not, and that is the route we chose, then it save us one of the draft picks we would have used on the big back in the early rounds. We would then still need to figure out how/what to use for that pile driver to get the 1 yard goal line score.

infantrycak
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
We would then still need to figure out how/what to use for that pile driver to get the 1 yard goal line score.

This is at least half a function of the OL. Then mix in Leach but don't become predictable about it.

Boris
12-31-2008, 09:43 PM
I hear you. Slaton was a gem.

As was mentioned, he's got a burst, i love his patience....it's like you can see him thinking about how to set-up a target for his lineman. Perhaps i'm clouded by the knowledge he's an Emmitt Smith fan.

That being said, speaking amongst fellow fans, i have my doubts about him being our stud. It's the way he finishes. It's awesome- intelligent, subtle. But the tackler(s) never seems to get punished. Even when Steve squeezes the extra 1/2 yard after contact, i never visualize the tackler groaning while getting up after the whistle.

Wearing down the defense. Making them less fierce w/ the thought of having to collide w/& tackle the rb. I know i'm biased....over the years i've coveted TJ Duckett, Michael Bush, Jonathan Stewart et al for our Texans.

Having grown up overseas & never played organized tackle football, tell me......is the whole "by the 4th quarter they shutter at the thought of having to collide with him" line overstated? Is it the o-line's hits that takes the "want to" out of the defense more so than the collisions w/a bruising rb?

Thorn
12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
In the future, Slaton will define the Texans as does AJ and Mario does now.l

ObsiWan
12-31-2008, 10:14 PM
This is at least half a function of the OL. Then mix in Leach but don't become predictable about it.

does it necessarily have to be a "pile driver"?
Marcus Allen, L.T., Westbrook, Emmitt Smith could all find the endzone regularly by knowing who to get behind then find that little crease or make their cut at the right moment.

Who in the college ranks has shown that sort of instinct?

If we find a guy with instincts like that, it wouldn't necessarily tip our hand on 3rd-&-goal.

Goatcheese
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
The run at 0:37 looked like something out of Madden, and blowing up Griffin at 1:47 was pure WIN.

:fans:

MEGA SWATT
12-31-2008, 10:43 PM
awesome, thanks!:goodpost:

hookinreds
12-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Dorsett was 2/3rd's legs and 1/3rd torso with a beautiful open field run--Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9mr8Ib6wc)

Dandy Don - "99 yards and a half"

edo783
01-01-2009, 01:04 AM

True that. That also is a bit of the issue with this team as they are the lighter type guys. Gibbs type guys just have a disadvantage when it is "Muscle it in there" time to the bigger d-line guys. The bigger hitter in the backfield would help mitigate that a bit. We MAY not have to draft that back if we look at how we use Leach and maybe in combination with someone else that is already on the team. Probably should get the big banger, but may be able to scheme around it and be effective.

infantrycak
01-01-2009, 01:52 AM
True that. That also is a bit of the issue with this team as they are the lighter type guys. Gibbs type guys just have a disadvantage when it is "Muscle it in there" time to the bigger d-line guys. The bigger hitter in the backfield would help mitigate that a bit. We MAY not have to draft that back if we look at how we use Leach and maybe in combination with someone else that is already on the team. Probably should get the big banger, but may be able to scheme around it and be effective.

See, I just kind of think backs regardless of size have an instinct for seams or they don't. The seam is more important in my opinion than the weight. No hole doesn't turn into a hole when a big guy hits Pitts' back. There are some backs that have a talent for getting the TD--so far in most of NFL history they have not been large.

Emmitt is my classic example--dude could find any seam available.

ObsiWan
01-01-2009, 02:02 AM
See, I just kind of think backs regardless of size have an instinct for seams or they don't. The seam is more important in my opinion than the weight. No hole doesn't turn into a hole when a big guy hits Pitts' back. There are some backs that have a talent for getting the TD--so far in most of NFL history they have not been large.

Emmitt is my classic example--dude could find any seam available.

Marcus Allen was my favorite
No way was he big enough to move a pile.
but he could always find his way into the endzone using that little seam or crease

the first verifiable sign that Al Davis was nuts was when he benched Marcus Allen

infantrycak
01-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Marcus Allen was my favorite
No way was he big enough to move a pile.
but he could always find his way into the endzone using that little seam or crease

the first verifiable sign that Al Davis was nuts was when he benched Marcus Allen

Dude you are preaching to the choir. I don't believe in big. If you can find big and special like Jim Brown (my best RB of all time) great, but I think as a general matter folks are way, way, way, too fascinated with size. Jonathan Wells was 255 lbs and ran like a ballerina. Emmitt was too small and ran for the TD record, as were LT, Holmes, etc.

Of the top 10 RBs this year 3 were over 220 lbs and two of those were by 1 lb.

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Having grown up overseas & never played organized tackle football, tell me......is the whole "by the 4th quarter they shutter at the thought of having to collide with him" line overstated? Is it the o-line's hits that takes the "want to" out of the defense more so than the collisions w/a bruising rb?

Slaton's a tougher runner than you might think. Take a look at him putting the Titan safety on his can on that TD highlight. He's not a big guy and he's not punishing the defense like a bigger runner might be, but that's not necessarily the be-all, end-all when it comes to running backs. It's a nice quality to have but not a necessity.

According to the stats, Slaton starts off strong and finishes strong. He rushed 84 times for 464 yards in the 4th quarter this year. That's a 5.6 ypc average. Most of his TD's and most of his 1st downs are in the 4th quarter. His worst quarter in terms of ypc is the 3rd quarter; his best is actually in the 1st quarter.

When a defense starts getting tired and are getting slower, that's when he has a good chance to break a long one.

BUT...

His lack of size and straight up power is why a lot of people think we should draft a complimentary back in the middle rounds of the next draft.

But make no mistake, he's going to be our main back for a while. He'll just be more of a Westbrook type than a Jamal Lewis type and that's not necessarily a bad thing.