PDA

View Full Version : If the MVP was the MOP, things would be much simpler

Wolf
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/If-the-MVP-was-the-MOP-things-would-be-much-sim;_ylt=AqyhWT6kkbLw8ycUz4l5XT1DubYF?urn=nfl,1314 83

he word "Valuable" in the middle of MVP complicates things. It means that if you vote, you aren't voting for the best player in the league, necessarily, but the most valuable, which could be interpreted in about 17 million different ways.

What's value? Does that player's team have to be .500 or better? Do they have to be in the playoffs? Do they have to be considered a serious threat to win the Super Bowl?

These are legitimate questions. After all, how much value could you possibly have if your team isn't even playing for the ultimate prize? Can you be good? Sure. But where's your value? Your team can miss the playoffs just as easily without you, bub. All you did was worsen your team's draft pick.

infantrycak
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Great article. I despise that the Heisman has become the best player on a top whatever 3-5 team. The best college player could be stuck on the 25th or even 100th team. A valuable player might take you from 0 wins to 7 rather than from 10 to 11 and thus make the playoffs.

michaelm
12-30-2008, 12:49 AM
LOL @ this quote from one post: "D Williams is the runaway MVP in my book with Peyton Manning a close second..."

Not many races have a close second to a runaway winner. funny.

kastofsna
12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
that article says what i've been saying for a while. it's impossible to say who's most valuable to a team in any given season.

i'd give it to Rivers, then DeAngelo Williams.