PDA

View Full Version : Bears game meaning?

euro-Texan
12-23-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm obviously hoping for and expecting a win this Sunday during the Texans - Bears match up, but since a winning season is out of the question and a six game win streak is not a possibility, what should we hope for Sunday?

Finishing 8-8 after our horrible start should mean something and going out on a high note while having some impact on the NFC play-off picture might make this somewhat intriguing, although I'm a little tired of the insignificant moral victories. This game might give us an opportunity to take one last look at some players and coaches before the off season, free agency and the draft. Now with that being said 60 sacks Sunday could not convince me that Richard Smith belongs anywhere above Pop Warner and without a doubt not 100 miles from the franchise.

Even post "cool-down" period I'm still blown away by our performance against the Raiders. It has knocked all of the wind out of my sails and I find myself wondering: Should we field the best team we have or shuffle things up and look around for a diamond in the rough somewhere?

imatexan
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Well just heard an ESPN person said the Bears will beat the Texans.
I think not.
This game has a lot of meaning because if we lose I have to deal with all offseason that the last Texans game I saw was a Loss :(

euro-Texan
12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Surely you don't think that beating the bears will change the opinions of ESPN talking heads... I would love to see Smith Fired this week and replaced with an assistant or ball boy and showing a little accountibility. Even if we lossed to the Bears I would feel better knowing that our Defense was going to be changed.

Pantherstang84
12-23-2008, 04:14 AM
Well just heard an ESPN person said the Bears will beat the Texans.
I think not.
This game has a lot of meaning because if we lose I have to deal with all offseason that the last Texans game I saw was a Loss :(

The Bears game means nothing. Winning the last game will not secure a winning season. This years Texans were no better than last years.

Bull Pen 1
12-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Lets look at the bright side of things. Last year we got our receiving core together, this year we got a running back. Now all we need to do next year is get our qbs together. Even though we lost to the Raiders, our defense has stepped it up in the prior few weeks, except last week. Even if we only cut over qb turnovers in half we will make the playoffs next year.:fans:

Carr Bombed
12-23-2008, 06:08 AM
The Bears game means nothing. Winning the last game will not secure a winning season. This years Texans were no better than last years.

Yeah, but it'll prevent us from taking a step back.......7-9 is a step in the wrong direction.

nunusguy
12-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Unlike last years season finale in Reliant when the Jags came to town resting their starters because they were already in the playoffs, this year the Bears come to Reliant needing to win to keep their hopes alive for a playoff berth.
In other words, if we win Sunday we will have a legitimate victory and not have "backed" into a .500 record as we did last year. Should make for a more interesting game, a more spirted contest this weekend.

Spled
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
It's a must win game for the Bears.

Thorn
12-23-2008, 07:44 AM
The meaning of the Bears game is crystal clear to me. It's the difference between being losers again or not.

PapaL
12-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Either come out balls to wall or roll over like a $2 <street walker>.

Pretty simple really - what identity do we want to establish?

FILO_girl
12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, but it'll prevent us from taking a step back.......7-9 is a step in the wrong direction.
So true. We have to at least do .500 again.
And, we get to play our favorite position...spoiler. :fans:

(Draft a QB and get a proven old-school, gritty and hard core QB to sit him behind to learn, Kubes!)

maddogmrb
12-23-2008, 08:21 AM

I disagree with you a little. I said at the beginning of the year that I thought the Texans could finish 7-9 and still be a better team than last year because of the schedule. I believe this is a better team overall than the one that finished 8-8 last year. I'm just disappointed in how it has happened with lousy schemes, no continuity of offense, not very good game management .....

The fact that it took the team at least half this season to pick up where it left off last year concerns me. I can only point to coaching. What do you think?

HOU-TEX
12-23-2008, 08:26 AM
At least if we win against the Bears we won't have to hear that the game was given to us. The Bears must win Sunday in order to have a chance to get in the playoffs. They will be coming to punch us in the face. The question is, will we see the team that punched back against the tits? Or the team that Carr-ed after being popped in the face by the Raiders?

maddogmrb
12-23-2008, 08:26 AM
This will be a hard game for us to win. The Bears will be playing for the playoffs and we won't be playing for much of anything. I wish I could say we would come out and play well for pride but, I'm not so sure of that because too many of the guys have been on losing teams that they might be getting used to it and I believe there has to be some who have lost some confidence in the coaching. Add the Bears defense to that equation and I think it'll be a difficult game for Matt. If he struggled against the Raiders defense, I think a very motivated Bears defense will prove an even more difficult task. Hope the team proves me wrong.

DexmanC
12-23-2008, 08:36 AM
This years Texans were no better than last years.

I have to severely disagree with you here. One could argue the Texans
had the toughest start of ANY team in recent history. It's the first
team in about 30 years to start four consecutive games against teams
coming off the playoffs.

Not only that, no team in recent history started a stretch like that ALL
ON THE ROAD. Hurricane Ike was not a figment of one's imagination.
So, the team starts 0-4 against 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league.
Yes, Jacksonville stunk this year, that's because they caught the injury
bug we had last year.

This team could have quit after 0-4, but they fought and got to 3-4.
When that happened, Jared Allen sentenced us to 4 games with Sage
as our starter. Our offense IS NOT a top 5 unit with Sage in the game.
With a defense as bad as ours, we NEED a top flight offense to compensate.
At 3-7, when they were effectively OUT of the playoff race, they could have
quit again, but FOUGHT to 7-7. This does NOT look like a team with "nothing
to play for."

However, last years team did NOT have:
The ability to put up massive yards on ANY team in the league
A franchise running back
An offensive line stay healthy the ENTIRE SEASON
A starting safety tandem with ANY ball skills whatsoever
A speedy linebacker (Adibi)
Defensive line depth
Confidence they COULD compete with the #1 seed.
Any competitive games against the Titans and Colts

That's just a few differences in this year's team and last. It was said before,
and it bears repeating: "The Texans have a better team than last year,
but the record doesn't reflect it." The thing that encourages me about this
team, is that the players were FURIOUS after the loss to the Raiders. They
were more dejected than any fan could be. In Schaub's post-game presser
you could see the disgust on his face.

This team HAS grown up from last year. They KNOW and they EXPECT
to perform at a high level. Yeah, folks. This young team is gonna be good
for a long time. The bandwagon is getting a paint job in the off season, and
will need heavy-duty shocks installed to support you next season.

ObsiWan
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
This team HAS grown up from last year. They KNOW and they EXPECT
to perform at a high level. Yeah, folks. This young team is gonna be good
for a long time. The bandwagon is getting a paint job in the off season, and
will need heavy-duty shocks installed to support you next season.

Amen! You panic-stricken folks can jump off if you like but I'm not giving up my seat on the bandwagon.
:texflag:

ObsiWan
12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Don't be too surprised if we see some new faces in this game. Kubiak will probably use this game to see who gets to stay and who gets walking papers next season.
Now that the winning season thing is out the window, what else is there to do but evaluate the untried younguns against a team that's fighting for its playoff life? I mean what's more important at this stage, getting to 8-8 or seeing who you have that's worth keeping? That's what I'd do.

Kaiser Toro
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
This is a huge game for the Texans, finishing out the season at 8-4 is a statement in itself, no matter how salty you are with the final record. Moreover, when one adds in the meaning of the game for the Bears it means this will be no walk in the park.

We should have beat the Raiders, but this team has overcome adversity this year in spite of its poor coaching and personnel at certain positions. Regardless of what happens on Sunday, this season was a disappointment and Kubiak should be on the hot seat for next year if he does not make the necessary changes this offseason. Even juggernauts make changes, conservatism is dead in the transient and copy cat NFL.

TimeKiller
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I suppose you could find meaning in any game but big picture no, nothing really of consequence for the Texans this Sunday.

I would like to see a couple things though:
1. What Jacoby has as a reciever. I mean like, 5-7 balls thrown his way. Sink or swim.
2. Molden as a corner. It's time.
3. In the postgame press conference I want to see Richard Smith fired. Yeah, that quickly.

Kaiser Toro
12-23-2008, 09:54 AM
I suppose you could find meaning in any game but big picture no, nothing really of consequence for the Texans this Sunday.

1. What Jacoby has as a reciever. I mean like, 5-7 balls thrown his way. Sink or swim.
3. In the postgame press conference I want to see Richard Smith fired. Yeah, that quickly.

Molden is on the IR with a broken ankle.

Joe Texan
12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Well if I really need to tell you

the Bears game Means we win or Lose and go happily to the couch or mad to the couch to turn on what Football is really about. The Playoffs.

Double Barrel
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I'll be there with absolutely no expectations. The outcome will depend on which Texans team decides to show up. Will we get the team with swagger and pride, the one that beat the Titans? Or will we get the slump-shouldered sad-sack team that is capable of losing to the Raiders?

Only time will tell. Hopefully they get a boost from Texans faithful who have supported them through thick and thin. :texflag:

PapaL
12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Molden is on the IR with a broken ankle.

And he can still out cover Faggins!

Silver Oak
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM

I would be happy if Jones doesn't make the team next season. Punt returns should not be a fracking coin flip on whether or not we'll turn it over when we return one.

Yes, he's a playmaker, but the percentages of who he makes plays for seem to lie with the other team IMO.

Errant Hothy
12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I would be happy if Jones doesn't make the team next season. Punt returns should not be a fracking coin flip on whether or not we'll turn it over when we return one.

Yes, he's a playmaker, but the percentages of who he makes plays for seem to lie with the other team IMO.

Agreed. IF he can't handle punt return duty, then he doesn't deserve a shot at WR. Added to that I don't think he's better then Walter, Davis or Anderson.

gary
12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Go Texans and go Vickings. Lets beat the Bears and knock them out of the playoffs on Sunday while they play their staters besides the fact that a 7-9 record for this team would be a step backwards for our football team for sure. Matt pretend that your team is the team that is fighting for a playoff spot and make this game the best game of the season for you. Slaton run like you're in army training and no one is going to stop you from getting across the goal line for at least two or maybe even three TDs. O line block like you're getting an extra mill for every block you make. Mama's boy return those kick returns right to mama on Sunday she wants her hugs from her baby boy. AJ act like the voting for the Probowl is still going on and catch those passes like you still need one more big game to prove to the whole world why they should vote for you to go to the big game and MW light the QB on fire and tell the D to play like they are hungry for burgers or whatever it takes to get them to play one of their best games of the season.

rarazz00
12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I know that this team will not quit...It Will play 60 minutes of football. In the process, we will see players we normally wouldn't see getting reps for evaluation for 09. This game has "meaning" written all over it. 8-8 is better than 7-9.:)

gary
12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Must play like we're very hungry.

Hervoyel
12-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I believe this game genuinely means nothing now. It had a chance to mean something had the Texans been able to muster up enough interest in winning to take care of the Raiders but now it doesn't mean a damn thing. It's just the same old Texans playing out the string. The truly had me fooled there for a few weeks but I was a sucker.

The Texans "team motto" was accidentally spoken by HWWNBN back in 2003 or 2004 (memory fails me) when he said a game wasn't a "must win" but it was at least a "must play well". That's the creed of this franchise. That's their guiding principle. They want to "play well" so they can continue to sell "product" to the customers. They aren't in the business of selling football to fans. They aren't in the business of winning. Just selling product to customers is "fine".

Pantherstang84
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
I believe this game genuinely means nothing now. It had a chance to mean something had the Texans been able to muster up enough interest in winning to take care of the Raiders but now it doesn't mean a damn thing. It's just the same old Texans playing out the string. The truly had me fooled there for a few weeks but I was a sucker.

The Texans "team motto" was accidentally spoken by HWWNBN back in 2003 or 2004 (memory fails me) when he said a game wasn't a "must win" but it was at least a "must play well". That's the creed of this franchise. That's their guiding principle. They want to "play well" so they can continue to sell "product" to the customers. They aren't in the business of selling football to fans. They aren't in the business of winning. Just selling product to customers is "fine".

You said it much better than I ever could.

devo-x
12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's one of the questions from the Texans chat today -

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/q_and_a.asp?Q_AND_A_ID=29

Blake - Austin, TX, US: Brooke, I love watching you on Texans TV! How much did the Texans miss rookie LB Xavier Adibi this past week in Oakland and will he be back for the Chicago game this weekend?

Brooke Bentley:

Hi Blake,

The Texans definitely could have used linebacker Xavier Adibi's speed on Sunday. Adibi has done an excellent job of quickly wrapping up running backs, and Raiders back Justin Fargas slipped through the defense too many times. Adibi is listed as day-to-day with a groin injury, but coach Gary Kubiak said they will try to get him back for the game against Chicago. That decision probably will be made on Friday.

I believe that having Adibi back will make a difference against the Bears! :)

No more Greenwood please .... :brickwall:

cuppacoffee
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I'll be there with absolutely no expectations. The outcome will depend on which Texans team decides to show up. Will we get the team with swagger and pride, the one that beat the Titans? Or will we get the slump-shouldered sad-sack team that is capable of losing to the Raiders?

Only time will tell. Hopefully they get a boost from Texans faithful who have supported them through thick and thin. :texflag:

DB

I will not be a bit suprised when Kyle Orton submits his name for future hall of fame consideration after facing our dismal defense.

Smiths defensive showings have made more than one wannabe qb look like the second coming of Johnny U. It's in our defensive dna.

I maintained more optimism during the 1-13 Oiler years than I do now. Gotta be an age thing. I don't have as long to wait now as I did then..:shades:

:coffee:

Double Barrel
12-23-2008, 03:32 PM

I thought our official team motto was "Next year"? :um:

Everything seems to hinge on success just being around the corner. Be patient, buy the tickets and merchandise, build a stadium and they will come, never give up hope yada yada yada....

DB

I will not be a bit suprised when Kyle Orton submits his name for future hall of fame consideration after facing our dismal defense.

Smiths defensive showings have made more than one wannabe qb look like the second coming of Johnny U. It's in our defensive dna.

I maintained more optimism during the 1-13 Oiler years than I do now. Gotta be an age thing. I don't have as long to wait now as I did then..:shades:

:coffee:

yeah, that thought crossed my mind while watching the MNF game last night. We have tended to give mediocre and average QBs a good shine, and perhaps give each one of them "the best game of their careers". *sigh*

Silver Oak
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM

I don't believe 6 years, half of which were terribly mismanaged, is enough to label an entire franchise either good or bad.

We're on the right path, and as painful as it is, I try and keep my eye down the road.

I'll be there this Sunday, all next season, and God willing, many more seasons in the future.

gary
12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
8-8 would mean that we did not get any better or worse this season than last season 7-9 would mean that we got worse.

Buffi2
12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, people seem to think that if you end a season on a winning note, it will give you momentum into the next season. That makes this game important. I haven't seen that hold true with the Texans for sure. That makes this game not particularly important at all.

It would be nice to not be any worse this year than last and maybe it would help keep a player like Dunte on our team for awhile. That makes this game important.

I'll be there yelling even though this roller coaster kind of team is getting on my last old person nerve.:fans:

BY1401
12-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think it's fair to your team to judge them on their records alone. A 7-9 finish this year doesn't mean that they are worse than last year. A 9-7 record wouldn't have meant they were better, either. For instance, the 2005 Colts went 14-2 while the 2006 squad went 12-4. Was the 2006 team worse than the 2005 version? I think they were, but not because of their record. It had everything to do with the way they played their games. But then again, the 2006 team won the Super Bowl so what do I know.

I have not followed the Texans like I probably should so I don't know how they look to the fans, but from my perspective they're better than in years past just because it seemed like they played the Colts better. I'm no longer chalking up two automatic Ws when the schedule comes out.

And for what it's worth, I'll be cheering for y'all to beat the Bears. :fans:

threetoedpete
12-24-2008, 01:43 AM

The more Kubiak believes he can trust Jacoby Jones, the more targets he'll get at WR. Keeps making bone headed plays returning punts, he'll stay in the dog house. They've seen him every day in practice for two years. They should know at this point exactly what they have. I'm keeping my mouth shut about Molden.
He's not in the rotation ....sixteen weeks into the year.....I thought he broke or fractured an ankle ?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4866&line=134973&spln=1

threetoedpete
12-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't think it's fair to your team to judge them on their records alone. A 7-9 finish this year doesn't mean that they are worse than last year. A 9-7 record wouldn't have meant they were better, either. For instance, the 2005 Colts went 14-2 while the 2006 squad went 12-4. Was the 2006 team worse than the 2005 version? I think they were, but not because of their record. It had everything to do with the way they played their games. But then again, the 2006 team won the Super Bowl so what do I know.

I have not followed the Texans like I probably should so I don't know how they look to the fans, but from my perspective they're better than in years past just because it seemed like they played the Colts better. I'm no longer chalking up two automatic Ws when the schedule comes out.

And for what it's worth, I'll be cheering for y'all to beat the Bears. :fans:

They caught a brutal opening five games in the schedule this time. It's true they caught indy beat up and down to their talent level and couldn't do anything with them. Looks like a lot of other teams are struggling against Indy and the Titans. Look stick the Browns game in, then watch the Oakland game.
The difference ? The defense didn't get five flipping turn overs. Offense basically laid the same egg in the second half.

The game announcers said it point blank, this was the best effort by the Raiders in weeks. They not only have our scalps on their wall, but a couple of teams pushing for a play off shot. When we catch a team beat up a bit, we put up a good effort. If we're flat at all, beat up at all, and the other team features good to great DTs on top of their game, we're in trouble.
Remedy.....draft better talent. Or improve the talent you already have.

Without the threat of a rushing attack this offense is dead in the water. And no amount of throwing out of it is going to get it moving again. That's just poking holes in the bottom of the boat. One thing to pass on first down to set up the run on third and/or second down....quite another if you're chunking the ball into double coverage with a safety on top over and over again. I mean I got it by the second quarter, they were going to let anyone but the Wrs beat them. Water popped a big play with an end around. Anderson popped a big play from a slot. When providence is beating you over the head with something lesser men would go for the obvious. Not our'n. Keep chunking the GD ball until the ship is down by the bow and all hope is gone. Gotta love 'em. Gig 'em.

If you keep doing a thing and achieving the exact same negative results....over and over and over again, that's insanity.

euro-Texan
12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
They caught a brutal opening five games in the schedule this time. It's true they caught indy beat up and down to their talent level and couldn't do anything with them. Looks like a lot of other teams are struggling against Indy and the Titans. Look stick the Browns game in, then watch the Oakland game.
The difference ? The defense didn't get five flipping turn overs. Offense basically laid the same egg in the second half.

The game announcers said it point blank, this was the best effort by the Raiders in weeks. They not only have our scalps on their wall, but a couple of teams pushing for a play off shot. When we catch a team beat up a bit, we put up a good effort. If we're flat at all, beat up at all, and the other team features good to great DTs on top of their game, we're in trouble.
Remedy.....draft better talent. Or improve the talent you already have.

Without the threat of a rushing attack this offense is dead in the water. And no amount of throwing out of it is going to get it moving again. That's just poking holes in the bottom of the boat. One thing to pass on first down to set up the run on third and/or second down....quite another if you're chunking the ball into double coverage with a safety on top over and over again. I mean I got it by the second quarter, they were going to let anyone but the Wrs beat them. Water popped a big play with an end around. Anderson popped a big play from a slot. When providence is beating you over the head with something lesser men would go for the obvious. Not our'n. Keep chunking the GD ball until the ship is down by the bow and all hope is gone. Gotta love 'em. Gig 'em.

If you keep doing a thing and achieving the exact same negative results....over and over and over again, that's insanity.

Or itís just incompetence.