PDA

View Full Version : Can Cedric help Steve?

MannyFresh
12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Is Cedric Benson locked up by the Bengals or will he be a free agent after this season? How would a Slaton/Benson duo do possibly? Just a thought.

mussop
12-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Take of youre Burnt Orange glasses in 3....2....1.

I knew after his game yesterday someone here would be starting this thread. Virtually no one here wanted him when he was a FA. Maybe some will change their minds now.

HOU-TEX
12-22-2008, 04:01 PM

I knew after his game yesterday someone here would be starting this thread. Virtually no one here wanted him when he was a FA. Maybe some will change their minds now.

I won't. I'd rather have a late round rookie

HoustonFrog
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM

He has actually has many pretty good games..the problem is they suck so bad they had to throw instead of keep feeding him.

With all that said...no, I wouldn't want him.

LonerATO
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
No thanks I wouldn't want Ced

infantrycak
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Is Cedric Benson locked up by the Bengals or will he be a free agent after this season?

Yes he signed a one year deal so will be a UFA.

MannyFresh
12-22-2008, 04:39 PM
No one has really said why not other than, "something about burnt orange" and just no thanks but that we'd rather have another rookie....another rookie is not not going to pound on 3rd downs or the red zone not to mention give Slaton a breather now and then.

Texan_Bill
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
No one has really said why not other than, "something about burnt orange" and just no thanks but that we'd rather have another rookie....another rookie is not not going to pound on 3rd downs or the red zone not to mention give Slaton a breather now and then.

Okay... Because he's an operating a boat under the influence, police resisting, ordered to install a breathalyzer in his vehicle, under-achieving waste of a Bear's draft pick, that should have stuck to baseball...

...just sayin'.

scourge
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
IMO, Ced is a head case... that's why i would say no.

but really, who are we gonna get that's any better? To me, he is a slightly faster Dayne. Maybe that's good enough for this team. We aren't known for high profile FA's or high round RB's, just 3rd or lower.

nero THE zero
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
another rookie is not not going to pound on 3rd downs or the red zone not to mention give Slaton a breather now and then.
Why not?

A rookie could do that for less money, for more years, and with less baggage.

HOU-TEX
12-22-2008, 04:48 PM

LOL! Why is that? Do you have to have a veteran to ground and pound?

MannyFresh
12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
IMO, Ced is a head case... that's why i would say no.

but really, who are we gonna get that's any better? To me, he is a slightly faster Dayne. Maybe that's good enough for this team. We aren't known for high profile FA's or high round RB's, just 3rd or lower.

He's only been in the league for 4 years, so we know he's not old or broke down like ahem, Green/Dayne..... He's seems to be doing better after he mistake...who's to say this wasn't a wakeup call for him ?

TexansFanatic
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Okay... Because he's an operating a boat under the influence, police resisting, ordered to install a breathalyzer in his vehicle, under-achieving waste of a Bear's draft pick, that should have stuck to baseball...

...just sayin'.

Pretty sure he got off on all counts. And he did just have 178 yards in one game which is not exactly underachieving.

Seems like the Cowboys have gone overboard on signing prima donna scofflaws, but the Texans might being going just as overboard in the opposite direction. Trying to maintain a squeaky clean roster might be leaving them a little too vanilla. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a guy...

HoustonFrog
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Pretty sure he got off on all counts. And he did just have 178 yards in one game which is not exactly underachieving.

Seems like the Cowboys have gone overboard on signing prima donna scofflaws, but the Texans might being going just as overboard in the opposite direction. Trying to maintain a squeaky clean roster might be leaving them a little too vanilla. Sometimes you gotta take a chance on a guy...

I'm not changing direction here but besides Tank and PacMan the Cowboys probably have as many thugs as the DWI and tasrer guys on the Texans..lol:). I guess those arrests weren't dangerous enough.

infantrycak
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
....another rookie is not not going to pound on 3rd downs or the red zone not to mention give Slaton a breather now and then.

Really?--in 4 seasons, Benson has 11 TD's. In less than one, Johnson, Slaton and Forte have 24 TD's.

Texan_Bill
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Being ordered by the courts to install a breathalyzer in his vehicle is real.

Anyway, I file the 171 yards on 38 carries to the "Sun shines on a dog's butt, some days" file. A fine performance like that is quickly leveled out with a game earlier this year where he rushed for 35 yards on 16 carries or another gem where he rushed for 17 yards on 10 carries. The guy has never come close to being a 1,000 yard rusher. Of course it is possible that he could rush for 364 in his last game giving him a 1,000 yards for this season...

If you were to look up under-achiever in the dictionary, you would find a picture of Ced Benson.

TexansFanatic
12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Anyway, I file the 171 yards on 38 carries to the "Sun shines on a dog's butt, some days" file.

I just looked at his stats at NFL.com....You might be right.

b0ng
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM
He's only been in the league for 4 years, so we know he's not old or broke down like ahem, Green/Dayne..... He's seems to be doing better after he mistake...who's to say this wasn't a wakeup call for him ?

I will take any unproven rookie over a guy who couldn't do **** with a bear O-line that has made matt forte look like a world beater. There are plenty of RBs in the draft that slip who end up doing good enough. See Hart, Mike.

Benson won't come here anyway because that's not the kind of player we bring in.

LonerATO
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Look if the Texans go after Benson I would hope they would also go after Tommy Blake then. I know its wishful thinking.

Hervoyel
12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I think Benson could help Steve Slaton so that's my answer to the original question.

I don't think there's any chance that Cedric Benson will be even looked at by this team much less signed. As has already been pointed out the Texans don't look at "that kind of player" even if that just means he was charged with something and not found guilty. I think we're far more about image than winning football games anyway so if Cedric Benson suddenly became Earl Campbell in a flash of lightning (but still had his existing Benson "record") we'd probably refuse to talk to him.

Ultimately I don't think it much matters because while yes, a Cedric Benson who had experienced the wake up call of nearly being out of football could do a great deal paired with Steve Slaton I think there are easier ways to get that same help in the draft. More importantly I think that this staff knows how to find that guy. We draft very well and we'll find the RB we need that way.

I'd have done it differently and picked up Benson as soon as I could have but we'll get what we need anyway and it's not like we're in any sort of hurry to get over .500 around here. We've got all the time in the world to get better (apparently).

atxlaurie
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I think he could, coming off the bench and if we could get him on the cheap. I'd still like to see who else is out there tho', rookie or FA.

TEXANRED
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I think so. Ced in Cinci has 636 yards, 3.4 a carry, 18 receptions for a 166 yards.

The per carry kind of stinks but Cinci is a terrible team with a terrible Oline.

Also you would have to consider that he has not been with the team all year and has only started 9 games.

Imagine if we had another back that had 600 plus yards to complement Steve? We would have at least another 4 wins.

ObsiWan
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Let's wait and see which one of the "Earth, Wind, and Fire" trio the Giant decide to let walk and target him, if we go after a F/A.

Personally, I'm in the "use a 2nd-day pick on a RB" camp.

GP
12-24-2008, 09:48 AM
We took chances on RBs who were less athletic than Benson.

When a player gets cut, and nobody calls him for months...the team that gives him a chance is going to get a player who wants to prove something. The guys we were signing? They were revolving RBs who bounced from team-to-team.

We had a shot to POSSIBLY grab a guy who wants to prove that the former team was wrong. We didn't even look at the guy, let alone sign him.

What the hell would it have hurt to sign the guy and let him have 2 or 3 games with us? All the other jobbers got as much. Maybe we can find a guy in the draft, and maybe we can't. But there was a larger RB available, and it's not like he has stunk it up at Cincy or anything. Yeah, he isn't suddenly Pro Bowl material now...but if he did what he did with the Bengals, what would he do here with the offense we have?

If Steve Slaton, a rookie, is running this well in Gibbs' scheme...how well would a seasoned RB like Benson do?

Boy scouts and choir boys are all that's allowed to try out for this team, apparently. I understand not wanting a lineup of thugs...but I don't think Cedric is a thug. We should have taken a chance on him (if the $ was right).

Texan_Bill
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Cedric Benson in 2006 and 2007 was less productive than Ron Dayne. This season, if you take away his one game against Cleveland (171 yards on 38 carries), he hasn't done squat, especially for someone that has something to prove to his old team... Signing Cedric Benson would have been the Kubiak regime's version of Capers signing Stacy Mack.

Vinny
12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I wanted to take a chance on him when he was at his cheapest....but since they obviously didn't think he was worth the look when his stock was at rock bottom I don't see them taking a look now.

nunusguy
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
You wouldn't know No. 32 on the Cincinnati Bengals. Yes, he looks familiar, but he is not the same player who wore No. 32 as a Bear for three years.
That player turned 6-yard runs into 3-yard runs, got hurt too much, was a locker-room pariah and found himself in the back seat of a squad car one too many times.
This player has created a running game where there was none, given a struggling team hope by helping it win two straight games, been embraced in the stands as well as in the locker room and been a model citizen.
Meet Cedric Benson. The new Cedric Benson.
He ran for 171 yards Sunday, the most by a Bengal in 68 games. He had 161 yards from scrimmage the previous week.
He says he is running better than ever, and the Bengals have been so impressed there is talk of trying to extend his contract before he becomes a free agent in the off-season.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-26-nfl-pompei-bensondec26,0,4273855.column
This writer with the Chicago Tribune talks about Benson before and after the
Bears, the team he was a totat bust with after they drafted him #4 overall in 2005.
And would he not be the perfect compliment to Steve Slaton in a 2-back system ?

Marcus
12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
. . .before he becomes a free agent in the off-season.

Oh, so that's why he's producing now, right?

No thanks. Once he gets the contract, he'll go right back to playing when he was with the Bears.

AFTexanFan
12-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I won't. I'd rather have a late round rookie

Exactly, why sign a running back like Benson that just hits a pile and falls over when we could actually have a good shot at drafting someone like James Davis from Clemson in the 3rd round to spell Slaton. If you dont know much about the guy heres something to speed you up.

Hes #1 and CJ Spiller is #28.

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Could Cedric Bensin compliment Slaton? Yes, but so could Kevin Jones, Lamont Jordan, Sammy Morris, Derrick Ward, or another dozen or so.

nut
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Nice purple glasses from College Station. Are you telling me that Benson couldn't have spelled Steve better than Ahman? I thought we could have used him 3 months ago.