PDA

View Full Version : My updated offseason wishlist...

12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
i'm keeping it short, sweet, and to the point.

---

1. FIRE RICHARD SMITH. this pathetic excuse for a defensive coordinator has given us the same predictable vanilla bullshit schemes for three years running and it clearly doesn't work. TIME TO MOVE ON.

2. another legit pass rusher to go with mario. PLEASE. this would go a long way in making our defense respectable. we should address this in round 1 - round 2; no later.

3. a space-eating DT to collapse the freakin pocket and ease the way for okoye to do what he does best: rush the passer. this can be addressed in the later rounds or via free agency, especially if we can somehow land the man himself: haynesworth. btw, i'm really hoping okam can make the roster next season.

4. a blue-chip free safety, something this franchise has never had... if we pick up taylor mays or william moore in round 1, i'll be very content. otherwise, i hope we address this by the end of round 2. we've had utter dogshit at that position for way too long now.

5. a 4th round - 7th round RB to take the pressure off of slaton in short yardage situations and provide a much needed change of pace. a bruiser like gartrell johnson out of colorado state would be ideal. slaton will be the man in houston for years to come barring injury, but he can't do it all by himself.

---

everything else can pretty much wait a year.. the interior play of the offensive line has disappointed me greatly, but we have young starters pretty much all across the board, and they should improve with continuity. most good offensive lines are a product of playing together.

our cornerbacks are young and should improve with time and a better scheme / pass rush. i'm excited for molden's future.

i've stated in the past that our linebackers need early-round addressing, but i now think the return of diles and adibi as the starting OLBs should be enough to get the job done. i can't wait till greenwood is handed his walking papers...

so now that i've shared my list... what's yours?

hot pickle
12-22-2008, 12:14 PM
i just want a team that has the same passion to have a winning season as the fans... i havent said anything since yesterday and i am just so disappointed in this team right now... i was so excited of the possiblity of having a winning season...

fire richard smith
demote kyle shannahan
hard hitting play making safety that can turn the momentum around with just one play
pass rushing DE
big ass DT
maybe fire kubiak... he blames himself for the lose... well you should have prepared better kubes... you know the fans want a winning season and so you take it easy on the team cause thye have played well... well guess wat kubes a good team always is prepared and doesnt lose to 3-11 teams

12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
i just want a team that has the same passion to have a winning season as the fans... i havent said anything since yesterday and i am just so disappointed in this team right now... i was so excited of the possiblity of having a winning season...

fire richard smith
demote kyle shannahan
hard hitting play making safety that can turn the momentum around with just one play
pass rushing DE
big ass DT
maybe fire kubiak... he blames himself for the lose... well you should have prepared better kubes... you know the fans want a winning season and so you take it easy on the team cause thye have played well... well guess wat kubes a good team always is prepared and doesnt lose to 3-11 teams

i agree man, i was so disappointed we couldn't achieve a winning season... but, in retrospect, we're just not good enough yet. the coaching on both sides of the ball was atrocious yesterday, but it's clear that we're lacking more in the talent department defensively.

shannhan shouldn't be demoted though, we still have the 3rd ranked offense in the league, and it's his FIRST YEAR. growing pains, my friend...

mussop
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM

fire richard smith
1.)demote kyle shannahan
pass rushing DE
big ass DT
maybe fire kubiak... he blames himself for the lose... well you should have prepared better kubes... you know the fans want a winning season and so you take it easy on the team cause thye have played well...

2.) well guess wat kubes a good team always is prepared and doesnt lose to 3-11 teams

1.) I cant believe people are saying this. We have one of the most productive offenses in the NFL and we need to demote our OC. :thinking: the only thing wrong with our offense is we turn the ball over to much. Our OL isnt as good as some here want to believe. Give Schaub better protetection and that problem will be solved.

2.) Youre crazy it happens all the time. Hense the phrase - On any given Sunday & Thats why they play the game.

Silver Oak
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
1.) I cant believe people are saying this. We have one of the most productive offenses in the NFL and we need to demote our OC. :thinking: the only thing wrong with our offense is we turn the ball over to much. Our OL isnt as good as some here want to believe. Give Schaub better protetection and that problem will be solved.

2.) Youre crazy it happens all the time. Hense the phrase - On any given Sunday & Thats why they play the game.

this is The Message Board of Overreaction!

I sometimes hate coming here after a loss cause some of the posts just get pretty ridiculous.

Goatcheese
12-22-2008, 04:57 PM
this is The Message Board of Overreaction!

I sometimes hate coming here after a loss cause some of the posts just get pretty ridiculous.

Try reading the gameday thread. Down by 11 with a full quarter to play and almost everyone was freaking out, trying to decide who deserves credit for the loss. Erm... Loss? There's a full quarter to play!

:headhurts:

Clearly the only way this team is over going to make it to the playoffs, is if we cut AJ, and Mario. They were invisible against Oakland. Previous performances don't matter. They didn't break any records! Cut them, or trade them for whatever you can. Probably some 8th round draft picks, since no one would ever want these guys.

hot pickle
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
some of us just are tired of being so positive after we lose... and losing to a 3-11 team doesnt help... ive watched the texans for 6-7 years and it seems like every year is the same story so forgive me for wanting my favorite nfl team to win

markn
12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
so now that i've shared my list... what's yours?

1. FIRE RICHARD SMITH
2. RICHARD SMITH FIRE
3. SMITH FIRE RICHARD
4. SMITH RICHARD FIRE
5. RICHARD FIRE SMITH
6. FIRE SMITH RICHARD

oh and

Cashier Third Firm
March Dirtier Fish
Arch Third Misfire
Rim Rich Headfirst
Hardiest Rich Firm
Rich Shift Admirer
Draft Irish Chimer
Chis Third Firearm
Harm Terrific Dish
Cherish A Dirt Firm

ok, ok, ok...

DE, FS, CORNER, DT, OLB, Short yardage RB

Thorn
12-23-2008, 07:22 AM
1. Fire Richard Smith
2. Keeps Gibbs for at least one more season before he really does retire
3. Big Brusing RB for short yardage pounding
4. DE for a book end to Mario
5. Fire Richard Smith
6. The stock market goes back to 14,000
7. A good center and another O-lineman or two
8. Lots of Jack Daniels
9. Fire Richard Smith
10. The stock market goes back to 14,000

edo783
12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
1. Fire Richard Smith
2. Keeps Gibbs for at least one more season before he really does retire
3. Big Brusing RB for short yardage pounding
4. DE for a book end to Mario
5. Fire Richard Smith
6. The stock market goes back to 14,000
7. A good center and another O-lineman or two
8. Lots of Jack Daniels
9. Fire Richard Smith
10. The stock market goes back to 14,000

Mmmm, I think about 8 of those are sort of likely, the others.....

SteveSlaton20
12-23-2008, 11:06 PM

fire richard smith
demote kyle shannahan
pass rushing DE
big ass DT

Why would you wanna fire Kubiak? He turned the team around for christ sakes.

1)Fire Richard Smith
2)Get Jerry Hughes or Brian Orakpo
3)And a big ass DT, dunno who tho.

Second Honeymoon
12-23-2008, 11:47 PM
(in order of importance)
1. FIRE RICHARD SMITH

hot pickle
12-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Why would you wanna fire Kubiak? He turned the team around for christ sakes.

1)Fire Richard Smith
2)Get Jerry Hughes or Brian Orakpo
3)And a big ass DT, dunno who tho.

we went 7-9 without kubes....

PHAROAH
12-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Before I put down my draft picks Richard Smith must go as the Def. Coordinator, Matt Schaub has to get better or we need to think about drafting a true franchise QB because he make to many damn mistakes that cost us games.

Top F/A Wanted:

1. CB - Nnamdi Asomugha

2. FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe

3. OLB - Leroy Hill

4. QB - Chris Simms

Draft Picks:

Rd 1 DE - Brian Orakpo - Texas. If he is gone then Taylor Mays should be the guy.

Rd 2. WR - Brian Robiskie - Ohio St. - We need an upgrade opposite Andre Johnson.

Rd 3. QB - Graham Harrell - Texas Tech - Need future QB in the wings Matt Shaub is shaky.

Rd. 4 - DT- Roy Miller - Texas - Plugger at the Nose.

Rd. 5 - TE - Cornelius Ingram - Florida

RD. 6 - OT - Jason Watkins - Florida

Grams
12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
1. Richard Smith must go. We need a defense similar to the Titans, Steelers, Ravens.

2. A good cover corner - through FA or the draft. (or FS, SS - whatever)

3. Brandon Jacobs - or similar type of running back to complement Slayton.

4. A DT and A DE - again through FA or the draft.

5. The head coach to show he has confidence in the team - by actually watching game winning field goals, plays, etc. and Not turn his back and wait till he sees the reactions of the fans and other players before he turns around again.

6. And everyone on IR to get healthy.

And NO Chris Simms.

The1ApplePie
12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Offense heavy draft:

1. Percy Harvin, WR/RB Florida (perfect playmaker next to AJ)
2. Patrick Chung, S Oregon
3. Javon Ringer, RB Michigan St. (Slaton 2.0)
4. Jeff Byers, G/C USC
5. Cornelius Ingram, TE Florida

Defense Heavy draft

1. Terrence Cody, DT Alabama
2. Darius Heyward-Bay, WR Maryland
3. Rashad Johnson, S Alabama
4. Ray Mickens, CB Cincy
5. Clay Mathews, OLB/DE USC

Blake
12-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I have to agree that our defense was awful for 80% of the season. Fire Richard Smith. Hire Romeo Crenell once he gets fired.

Sign Nnamdi Asomugha to shore up the corner position and release Faggins giving us Asomugha, Robinson, Benett, Reeves and Moulden.

Sign Derrick Ward to give Slaton a break.

Trade down in the first and draft Duke Robinson. Then with our 2 2nd round picks we can get Alex Mack and Patrick Chung. Rashad Jennings in the 3rd would give us the new earth wind and fire.

So I have upgraded our DC, shored up the inside of our offensive line, given us a power house stable of backs and upgraded the secondary with one of the best CB's in the game and drafted a new starting safety and we are only through the 3rd round of the draft.

Our linebackers are good. Some think we need to invest in a better DE or a better DT, but I think we need to give that position a break with draft picks. We obviously dont have the coach or scheme to help them succeed so why spend more money there???

b0ng
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
some of us just are tired of being so positive after we lose...
I'd like to know when the hell that has ever happened. This place turns into a foray of who can point the finger the fastest after a loss.

SteveSlaton20
12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Before I put down my draft picks Richard Smith must go as the Def. Coordinator, Matt Schaub has to get better or we need to think about drafting a true franchise QB because he make to many damn mistakes that cost us games.

Top F/A Wanted:

1. CB - Nnamdi Asomugha

2. FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe

3. OLB - Leroy Hill

4. QB - Chris Simms

Draft Picks:

Rd 1 DE - Brian Orakpo - Texas. If he is gone then Taylor Mays should be the guy.

Rd 2. WR - Brian Robiskie - Ohio St. - We need an upgrade opposite Andre Johnson.

Rd 3. QB - Graham Harrell - Texas Tech - Need future QB in the wings Matt Shaub is shaky.

Rd. 4 - DT- Roy Miller - Texas - Plugger at the Nose.

Rd. 5 - TE - Cornelius Ingram - Florida

RD. 6 - OT - Jason Watkins - Florida
I agree with all of the F/A but Chris Simms. Just no.

If Brian Orakpo is gone, what about Jerry Hughes, the guy from TCU. I believe he's leading most sacks this year in NCAA.

R2,4,5,6, I agree.

R3, I doubt he'll even be there in the 3rd round.

Spled
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I'd like to get an o-lineman in FA and then focus on defense in the draft. I'd like to get Taylor Mays to toughen up our soft secondary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6sQh5bGyg&feature=related

YoungTexanFan
12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I have to agree that our defense was awful for 80% of the season. Fire Richard Smith. Hire Romeo Crenell once he gets fired.

You want us to switch to a 3-4 again and scrap everything our defense has moved towards? I'll pass.

Ole Miss Texan
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
You want us to switch to a 3-4 again and scrap everything our defense has moved towards? I'll pass.

Heck no. If they can't find a better 4-3 coordinator out there and don't promote from within the organization, Smith is the DC again. Change for the sake of change can often lead to you being worse off than you began with.

dalemurphy
12-24-2008, 04:49 PM
1. Fire Richie Smith
2. 3 more RBs. I want a promising late rounder on the P.S. and I want a reliable veteran (not too veteran) RB and I want another mid-rounder.
3. A FB that has some versatility and can't carry the ball- to back up Leach.
4. SAFETY!
5. Big, Fat, Nasty DT.
6. Speed rusher.
7. Interior line depth.
8. The cutting of: AGreen, AWeaver, Bruener, Greenwood, Zgoniga, Faggins, TJohnson
9. Gibbs to return !
10. A friendlier schedule to open the season.
11. The Reliant roof to not be fixed
12. Re-signing of Dunta for a moderate amount.
13. Healthy return of Cochran, Molden
14. Total upheaval in Jacksonville
15. 2 home night games
16. Bud Adams to replace Jeff Fisher because he couldn't win a Superbowl. sound familiar Oiler fans?

forcefollow
12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
1. Safety or Corner.
2. DT pass rusher
3. Running back
4. Quarterback

PHAROAH
12-24-2008, 09:23 PM
If we sign a top flight Safety in Free Agency then we can address the poor pass rush that we have opposite Mario Williams and if Orakpo is gone maybe we need to look DE Michael Johnson 6'7" 260 from Georgia Tech or DE Tyson Jackson 6'5" 285 from LSU!!! We have to get another pass rusher opposite Mario and that will take pressure off of the secondary.

YoungTexanFan
12-24-2008, 10:23 PM
If we sign a top flight Safety in Free Agency then we can address the poor pass rush that we have opposite Mario Williams and if Orakpo is gone maybe we need to look DE Michael Johnson 6'7" 260 from Georgia Tech or DE Tyson Jackson 6'5" 285 from LSU!!! We have to get another pass rusher opposite Mario and that will take pressure off of the secondary.

You do realize that Tyson Jackson isn't a great pass rusher, right? He's pretty much a 3-4 end who could fit in a 4-3. Think Anthony Weaver (he wasa a high draft pick too).

YoungTexanFan
12-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Also, you realize that there are NEVER any "top flight" safties in free agency...right?

Also, you have watched Michael Johnson...right? He goes at it about 20% of the time and just hugs the OL for the other 80%.

Wolf
12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Texans could be in the market for a No. 3 WR in offseason

By Mike Wilkening
Dec. 24, 2008

One position the Texans could look to bolster in the offseason, the way we hear it, is wide receiver. Starters Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter aren’t going anywhere, but the Texans may add a receiver to complement their top two wideouts. Reserve WRs David Anderson, André Davis and Jacoby Jones all bring a valuable skill to the roster, but none has made a clear case to take the job as his own in 2009. The question of whether to sign a wideout could come down to the Texans’ confidence in Jones; Jones is an emerging star punt returner, but he hasn’t made much of an impact as a receiver in two NFL seasons. Davis, who caught 33 passes for 583 yards and three touchdowns in 2007, has been slowed by a finger injury this season. Anderson has been the most productive of the trio, catching 18 passes for 232 yards and two touchdowns entering Week 17.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+South/Houston/WWHI/2008/wwhi122408.htm

Norg
12-25-2008, 10:38 PM
i just hope we win some games ...LOL

JWarren14
12-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Would anybody be OK with trading a pick to the Raiders for Michael Bush? His contract for the next two years lays out like this:

2009: $460,000
2010: $550,000
2011: Restricted Free Agent

They have McFadden and Fargas and could use a pick to draft another need. I think another RB to use with Slaton is a pretty high priority seeing how coming into the year it was looking like Chris Brown, Ahman Green, and Slaton and ended up Slaton and Ryan Moats with some Cecil Sapp sprinkled in.

Bush looked really, really good yesterday. He had a few very nice one cut and go runs, which is exactly what we need. I think he wont ask for a new contract until the end of next year when he proves he can be consistent. He was an absolute stud @ Louisville before he broke his leg I would love to see him in a Texans uni. What would be necessary to grab him? It would be great to get him for a 3rd or would the Raiders want to part with him at all? It just seems like a crowded backfield with a lot of $$$ back there and a pick could bring in some talent in other positions.

Specnatz
12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
You do realize that Tyson Jackson isn't a great pass rusher, right? He's pretty much a 3-4 end who could fit in a 4-3. Think Anthony Weaver (he wasa a high draft pick too).

Weaver was a FA signing from Baltimore.