PDA

View Full Version : Titans are a classless team

Pages : 1 [2]

Hookem Horns
12-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm a Blue Jackets fan yet I don't go making fun of other teams for losing in the playoffs.

Any x-Oilers fan can make fun of the Oilers/Titans for relentless choking in the postseason. We lived it and earned that right. It's kind of like making fun of your x-wife (in front of her new husband) for being lame in the sack.

Blue Jackets? Thanks for Zherdev. He has really started to light it up since coming over to a real organization. ;)

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/11/17/14004921/260xStory.jpg

Blazing Arrow
12-24-2008, 05:13 PM
:cry2: I almost got teary eyed from days gone by....

Smack Poll on the old board was classic ... right Shaft? :spit:

Hookem Horns
12-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Smack Poll on the old board was classic ... right Shaft? :spit:

Honestly, "Rivalry Talk" is the smack board. A lot of stuff flies in here that wouldn't fly outside of here. When we merged with the other board some wanted to keep the smack forum and some others didn't. There were good reasons for both. "Rivalry Talk" ended up being the compromise.

Blazing Arrow
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
It was a thread ... Seem to be a question who was the best smack talker on the board. :cowboy1:

Eddyc85
12-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Any x-Oilers fan can make fun of the Oilers/Titans for relentless choking in the postseason. We lived it and earned that right. It's kind of like making fun of your x-wife (in front of her new husband) for being lame in the sack.

Blue Jackets? Thanks for Zherdev. He has really started to light it up since coming over to a real organization. ;)

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/11/17/14004921/260xStory.jpg

First off don't count on Zherdev to be there when you need him. He's a horrible teammate, selfish, sucks in the clutch and doesn't listen to coaches. I couldn't be happier we got rid of that jerk off.

Secondly you don't earn the right to make fun of a team for losing in the playoffs. And really when have we choked in the playoffs? We've never been a big favorite to win the Superbowl and Dyson getting tackled has nothing to do with choking, it was simply a great defensive play.

Hookem Horns
12-25-2008, 01:54 AM
First off don't count on Zherdev to be there when you need him. He's a horrible teammate, selfish, sucks in the clutch and doesn't listen to coaches. I couldn't be happier we got rid of that jerk off.

Haven't seen any of that out of him. Actually he has been listening to the coaches and has been very clutch (scoring a couple of last minute game tying goals already). He has already scored 12 goals and has 21 assists. He leads the Rangers with 33 points and a plus 4 rating.

He probably just needed the right situation to get the best out of him.

Secondly you don't earn the right to make fun of a team for losing in the playoffs. And really when have we choked in the playoffs? We've never been a big favorite to win the Superbowl and Dyson getting tackled has nothing to do with choking, it was simply a great defensive play.

Sure we have and that is why we are doing it. ;) Actually the Titans choked against the Bills the year they went to the Super Bowl by giving up all those last minute plays to the Bills allowing them to kick the game winning field goal. The game should have ended that way if it wasn't for the Immaculate Deception (illegal forward pass on the kick off) otherwise known as the "Music City Miracle". The refs really blew that one screwing the Bills. Of course it didn't result into a championship as they choked one yard short in the SB.

Of course it has been infertility ever since.

imatexan
12-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Someone apologized for MY behavior? If I want my behavior apologized for I'll apologize myself. And the only reason you don't think I'm a good poster is because you don't like what I have to say. Why? Because I speak the truth. It's idiotic to make fun of a team for losing the Superbowl when you've never been to the playoffs. I would know, I'm a Blue Jackets fan yet I don't go making fun of other teams for losing in the playoffs.

No thats not actually why but there is no point in explaining because as you said here, you are always correct:winky:

Wolf
12-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Someone apologized for MY behavior? If I want my behavior apologized for I'll apologize myself. And the only reason you don't think I'm a good poster is because you don't like what I have to say. Why? Because I speak the truth. It's idiotic to make fun of a team for losing the Superbowl when you've never been to the playoffs. I would know, I'm a Blue Jackets fan yet I don't go making fun of other teams for losing in the playoffs.

It is idiotic to think that maybe, just MAYBE some of us were OILER fans and lived through some tough times in the playoffs with them. And for Bud to do what he did to Houston, I would think we would have the right to wish failure on that team.

I am glad Houston got a new team and I could care less what Bud does outside of seeing him smile with a super bowl trophy esp with some of his personnel moves while he was in Houston.

Maybe Earl can tell you the rest

Dread-Head
12-25-2008, 04:05 AM
This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read. How can you make fun of a team for losing a very close Superbowl game when your lousy ass team has never made the playoffs? I don't understand that. It's like a virgin making fun of a guy who hooked up with a decent looking girl.

- Oh yea well the girl you slept with wasn't THAT hot!
- OK virgin.
- So you gonna try and hook up with ANOTHER girl who isn't THAT hot?
- I dunno, maybe I will virgin.
- Well I may be a virgin but at least I didn't sleep with a girl who wasn't THAT hot.
- Yea, you've never slept with a girl period. If you could you would take my sloppy seconds in a heartbeat.
- No. I'll get a SUPER HOT girl next year.
- Where have I heard that before?

Yawn. What's the diff between Tracy Lords and the Tennessee Titans? Tracy Lords got 12 inches from Ron Jeremy & the Titans WISH they'd gotten 12 inches from the Rams. The similarities? BOTH got É#Ęked and NEITHER is gonna be holding the Lombardi Trophy at the conclusion of the next Superbowl.

Dread-Head
12-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Sigh.

Ok, I have gone through a lot of this thread, as painful as it was.

As a longtime poster here, lemme ask you something.

Am I now 'classless?' As someone that has rooted for the Oilers/Titans since I was 6 years old and Earl Campbell's calf was bigger than me, I find it sad that Titans' fans are lumped in as classless, or better yet, marrying their cousins, lacking teeth etc. I've seen a ton of commentary here and elsewhere that sure as fkn hell lacks class.

Dread, wow, bringing up the one yard short? Got nothing else in your arsenal so go for 'ol faithful? Take my word on this - that play has nothing on the 2 hours of hell I sat through at Rich stadium when Don Beebe and Frank Reich ripped my heart out and I had to deal with Western NY's finest, meaning true inbreds.

Hey Bill, do we need to go tour small towns in Texas and find plenty of evidence that Texas has the same inbred/dental hygine problems as Tennessee?

Don't I sound ridiculous making those comments? I sure think so - it's the type of crap I would expect on the Jerry Springer show. Enough of the petty and tiresome banter between Titans/Texans fans. Grow up and talk football. All of us.

Bud Adams may be a putz and robbed you (and me) of the Oilers, but over a decade and change later, some of this needs to cease. It really does grow old.

Toronto...dude! The unwritten rule. We don't discuss a certain playoff game which occurred in upstate New York as it was the DARKEST day in Houston Sports HISTORY! Damn. Now you have me depressed thinking about it all over again. Thanks a lot pal!

by the way it wasn't a yard it was 1 foot aka 12 inches...

Dread-Head
12-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Bingo. Exactly what I told those fine Tennessee folks that graced Blue Crew with their presence two weeks ago. Our hatred for their team will die with Dud..

I kinda have to agree with Sir William on this one. If Bud either sold the team or died and the Titans won the Superbowl I for one would be happy for em. But as long as he draws breath...I can't support them.

Eddyc85
12-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Sure we have and that is why we are doing it. Actually the Titans choked against the Bills the year they went to the Super Bowl by giving up all those last minute plays to the Bills allowing them to kick the game winning field goal. The game should have ended that way if it wasn't for the Immaculate Deception (illegal forward pass on the kick off) otherwise known as the "Music City Miracle". The refs really blew that one screwing the Bills. Of course it didn't result into a championship as they choked one yard short in the SB.

Of course it has been infertility ever since.

Keep telling yourself that Chris Berman, never mind that it's been analyzed to death and EVERYONE with at least half a brain agrees it was a lateral, but your probably right.

It is idiotic to think that maybe, just MAYBE some of us were OILER fans and lived through some tough times in the playoffs with them. And for Bud to do what he did to Houston, I would think we would have the right to wish failure on that team.

And yet you've lived through zero playoff moments with the Texans, ergo, stop calling us "chokers" (again it's stupid because we never choked anything) when the Texans have never even been in a position to choke anything because your team sucks.

Now enjoy watching us in the playoffs, I'll be pulling for you guys against the Bears, I mean your going for 8 wins, a thing like that only happens once in a blue moon for Houston.

Tedc
12-25-2008, 09:34 PM
The Titans actually choked on the Texans 13-12 a few weeks ago.

Wolf
12-25-2008, 09:36 PM
And yet you've lived through zero playoff moments with the Texans, ergo, stop calling us "chokers" (again it's stupid because we never choked anything) when the Texans have never even been in a position to choke anything because your team sucks.

Now enjoy watching us in the playoffs, I'll be pulling for you guys against the Bears, I mean your going for 8 wins, a thing like that only happens once in a blue moon for Houston.

I think you missed the point that was made by my post.

The Titans were no more to me when 2002 came and Houston was awarded a franchise. Only reason I followed the Titans before that was because of players that played in Houston, moved on to Tennessee. I still wished well for Bruce Mathews,Eddie George and others. As far as my point went, many fans of the Texans were fans of the Oilers and we endured "choke" jobs that Bud's teams did over the years.

Mentality of some Titan fans is that they want all the glory and none of the History of Bud's team. Titan fans act like the Tennessee Titans were an expansion team with no history. Sorry but you have to take the good with the bad

At least the titan website does
http://www.titansonline.com/press_box/08media/p325-510History.pdf

That was the point I was making. It wasn't about whether or not the Texans have had a winning season or not, it was about a lot of us have seen the choke job first hand with the team your owner owns. Seems Bud recognizes the history of his franchise, too bad some of the fans don't.. There were some awesome times with the franchise and there were some horrible times with the franchise in important situations

Y'all are lucky enough that Bud was smart to keep Jeff Fisher, he is a hell of a coach.

toronto
12-25-2008, 11:40 PM
The Titans actually choked on the Texans 13-12 a few weeks ago.

Keep hanging your hat on that, it's all you got. We'll move on to bigger and better things, like watching my youngsters plant Big Ben all game and clinch homefield.

How did your followup go? :mail:

toronto
12-25-2008, 11:41 PM

The Titans were no more to me when 2002 came and Houston was awarded a franchise. Only reason I followed the Titans before that was because of players that played in Houston, moved on to Tennessee. I still wished well for Bruce Mathews,Eddie George and others. As far as my point went, many fans of the Texans were fans of the Oilers and we endured "choke" jobs that Bud's teams did over the years.

Mentality of some Titan fans is that they want all the glory and none of the History of Bud's team. Titan fans act like the Tennessee Titans were an expansion team with no history. Sorry but you have to take the good with the bad

That was the point I was making. It wasn't about whether or not the Texans have had a winning season or not, it was about a lot of us have seen the choke job first hand with the team your owner owns. Seems Bud recognizes the history of his franchise, too bad some of the fans don't.. There were some awesome times with the franchise and there were some horrible times with the franchise in important situations

Y'all are lucky enough that Bud was smart to keep Jeff Fisher, he is a hell of a coach.

I've suffered and sweated out this organization for 30 long years. I am praying my payoff finally comes this year, as much as I know most of you are nauseated by that possibility (and understandable).

Dread-Head
12-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I've suffered and sweated out this organization for 30 long years. I am praying my payoff finally comes this year, as much as I know most of you are nauseated by that possibility (and understandable).

Toronto, I can't speak for everyone on the board, but my issue personally is with the old bastard with the dead cat on his head. I've no emnity against the team...but it's an extension of Bud. He has a coronary tomorrow and the boys from Nashville win a superbowl many of us would be happy for them.

Realistically by White and that other cat stomping on the towel...you threw down the gauntlet. If you win it won't be pretty it will be painful and injury riddled. If you win the superbowl will be played with 2nd and 3rd stringers and will be embarrassing and an NFC victory.

Eddyc85
12-25-2008, 11:53 PM

So by calling us chokers your just making fun of a team you used to root for? That makes no sense. But even so it's not like that's what the Oilers were notorious for. The Browns and Bills are notorious for choking, the Oilers really weren't. At times they did but what team hasn't? Teams like the Vikings, Bengals and Eagles have all had teams better than those old Oiler teams were and people don't call them chokers. That wasn't the Oilers identity though.

Wolf
12-25-2008, 11:54 PM

I hear ya. There were some good times

I have to echo what dread said.

I just don't want to see Bud holding up that trophy.

Wolf
12-26-2008, 12:10 AM
So by calling us chokers your just making fun of a team you used to root for? That makes no sense. But even so it's not like that's what the Oilers were notorious for. The Browns and Bills are notorious for choking, the Oilers really weren't. At times they did but what team hasn't? Teams like the Vikings, Bengals and Eagles have all had teams better than those old Oiler teams were and people don't call them chokers. That wasn't the Oilers identity though.

Well it is like the saying, when something happens, It is always funny when it isn't you.

In this case, It wasn't funny when I saw the Oilers go to Denver and lost .. Stagger lee anyone?
Or when the defense pummeled Montana against the chiefs and only lose the game still

or the infamous game in Buffalo.

Those weren't funny at the time , but Bud decided what he had to do. Now my memory isn't as good as others (as Texan bills recollection on a post above).. The fans that lived in Houston got a front row seat to it all, I was in living in central texas for some of that time and West Texas for the rest of it, so I didn't get all the info of what was going on with the city and Bud, just small reports in the paper (cowboys country)

.. What I can remember is Bud had Houston revamp the Astrodome, take the score board down and add seats (no problem with that), and a few seasons later, he wants a new stadium , then dangles the threat of the move to Jacksonville and tries to hold the city hostage over that. Then Houston fans get a bad wrap for no one really coming to the games on that last season in Houston.. Well I wouldn't support an owner that announced before the season has started, that no matter what, the team was moving.. Why would anyone want to go and support the owner?

View points change and bad blood develops

I have no ill feelings for the players that were Oilers and then moved to possum holler

Now when the Texans came to town, winning seasons or not, it is always good to beat the Titans (when we actually do)

I still hate the Steelers from the Oilers' days.. but with every loss to the Titans stings and with things going lately on players talking smack to Schaub and questionable hits.. I enjoy it when the Titans lose

Hookem Horns
12-26-2008, 12:32 AM
The Oilers weren't known as chokers?? Dude, you have no clue about the history of "your" team.

Houston was known as "Choke City" mainly because of the Oilers until the Rockets won a championship.

The Titans still own the record for the greatest postseason choke in history.

Silver Oak
12-26-2008, 07:56 AM
But even so it's not like that's what the Oilers were notorious for. The Browns and Bills are notorious for choking, the Oilers really weren't.<blah. blah. blah>... That wasn't the Oilers identity though.

you really have no idea of what you are typing do you?

Tedc
12-26-2008, 07:59 AM

We have not played you guys since then.

The Texans did the NFL a favor and showed how to beat the Titans.

Have you signed Hanesworth yet?

Texan_Bill
12-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Yawn. What's the diff between Tracy Lords and the Tennessee Titans? Tracy Lords got 12 inches from Ron Jeremy & the Titans WISH they'd gotten 12 inches from the Rams. The similarities? BOTH got É#Ęked and NEITHER is gonna be holding the Lombardi Trophy at the conclusion of the next Superbowl.

:spit:

Tracy Lords, Ron Jeremy and Titans reference all rolled up in one?? Really??
Rep. if I could - you hilarious muff huggah!!!

Texan_Bill
12-26-2008, 09:01 AM
The Adams' teams not known for choking?? :spit:

DH mentioned the GTWNBM in upstate New York :heh:, Wolf mentioned Stagger Lee :heh:, there was a 28-20 loss to KC (th year after the GTWNBM in upstate New York), Considering that in 42 seasons that the Super Bowl has existed, Bud's organization has only played in 1 and lost that by 12 inches, it's pretty fair to say that are chokers.

As far as us having earned the right to make fun of that, we have. We lived it. I've lived more years as an Oiler fan than I have as a Texans fan and the existence of the Titans - combined.

Lucky
12-26-2008, 09:08 AM
The Browns and Bills are notorious for choking, the Oilers really weren't. At times they did...
And by "At times they did", he means "The Oilers gagged in every big game". :crying:

toronto
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
We have not played you guys since then.

The Texans did the NFL a favor and showed how to beat the Titans.

Have you signed Hanesworth yet?

Correct, you lost to a pathetic Oakland club while we got off the mat and beat the snot out of a tough playoff team.

Congrats on the win though, as I said immediately afterwards, it was a good win for your franchise.

No we can't sign him yet anyways, but we discovered we may be able to survive without him if he asks for a$40 million signing bonus.

toronto
12-26-2008, 09:45 AM
The Adams' teams not known for choking?? :spit:

DH mentioned the GTWNBM in upstate New York :heh:, Wolf mentioned Stagger Lee :heh:, there was a 28-20 loss to KC (th year after the GTWNBM in upstate New York), Considering that in 42 seasons that the Super Bowl has existed, Bud's organization has only played in 1 and lost that by 12 inches, it's pretty fair to say that are chokers.

As far as us having earned the right to make fun of that, we have. We lived it. I've lived more years as an Oiler fan than I have as a Texans fan and the existence of the Titans - combined.

You left out our defense's inexplicable play that allowed Elway to convert to long 4th and 11s when we had them beat too.

Sigh.

Texan_Bill
12-26-2008, 10:05 AM
You left out our defense's inexplicable play that allowed Elway to convert to long 4th and 11s when we had them beat too.

Sigh.

No doubt. I could have kept going........ and going...... and going......

Eddyc85
12-26-2008, 12:09 PM
The Oilers weren't known as chokers?? Dude, you have no clue about the history of "your" team.

Houston was known as "Choke City" mainly because of the Oilers until the Rockets won a championship.

The Titans still own the record for the greatest postseason choke in history.

I'm well aware of the history of the team. And yes there was the Buffalo game but what team doesn't have a game in the post season that they totally blew? You'd have a tough time finding one. Well I guess the Texans haven't since they have never been to the playoffs.

Every team has a bit of embarrassing history and if your bringing up 20 year old history to try and make fun of us I find that pretty pathetic. I really don't care because it's not just history it's pretty much ancient history when it comes to sports. We've all moved on two or three times over from then, I guess you guys are the only people who haven't. The reason you have to reach 20 years ago to find something to mock us with is because that's all you have. If were talking modern times well we have the best team in the NFL and the Texans are probably going to finish 7-9 which again falls short of finishing over .500 which IMO is a pretty pathetic goal to try and reach.

If you guys want to live 10 or 20 years ago go for it, I'm going to live in the now.

Wolf
12-26-2008, 12:17 PM
A leopard can't change his spots much in 20 years :specnatz:

:smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
12-26-2008, 12:18 PM
A leopard can't change his spots much in 20 years :specnatz:

:smiliedance:

Some people can't really read either.... :specnatz:

Wolf
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
my point of view of the Titans right now

Bud can go eat a root for all I care.
Fisher is a hell of a coach, Jim Schwartz ...I wish he was cordinating our guys

I don't mean this is bad, because it does build up a rivalry between teams

Vince's antics at reliant a year ago. some of the trash talking going on before the games before they played the Texans. There have been some questionable hits in the games we have played with the Titans. And I hate the steelers too, but the towel thing with the Steelers. I thought it was disrespectful. If the Texans would have grabbed the red wig after the game and stomped it, Titan fans would have been outraged.

http://www.lpfield.com/images/photo-fans.png

With that said, Things like that build a rivalry and it is a good thing for the teams.

may Bud go choke on a root.

Hookem Horns
12-26-2008, 02:03 PM
The reason you have to reach 20 years ago to find something to mock us with is because that's all you have.

I grew up (well from the age of 13) in the Northeast and have been a big fan of the Giants since the mid 80's so I do know a little what it's like to follow a team that actually has postseason success.

Silver Oak
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
these recent trips to the playoffs are going to cost Titan fans. eventually Bud is going to want a bigger and better stadium than that crap they play in now, and by blackmailing them with a potential move to Los Angeles, he'll get to stick it in deep to all these Titan fans.

all we have to do is wait...and laugh when it happens.

toronto
12-26-2008, 03:48 PM
these recent trips to the playoffs are going to cost Titan fans. eventually Bud is going to want a bigger and better stadium than that crap they play in now, and by blackmailing them with a potential move to Los Angeles, he'll get to stick it in deep to all these Titan fans.

all we have to do is wait...and laugh when it happens.

Have you been to LP Field? It's a frigging nice as hell stadium and the same cookie cutter stadium as Heinz, Cincy etc.

Besides, L.A. has already shown it doesn't care for the NFL. Every attempt by locals to pass a stadium law have failed. The city just doesn't give a damn about the NFL anymore.

Tedc
12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Have you been to LP Field? It's a frigging nice as hell stadium and the same cookie cutter stadium as Heinz, Cincy etc.

Besides, L.A. has already shown it doesn't care for the NFL. Every attempt by locals to pass a stadium law have failed. The city just doesn't give a damn about the NFL anymore.

I have been to LP. It is nice for a college stadium but it is a little on the small side.

Hookem Horns
12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
So Toronto, since the city the team represents doesn't seem to matter to you I assume you would be an L.A. Titans fans also if Bud moved there?

toronto
12-26-2008, 06:43 PM
So Toronto, since the city the team represents doesn't seem to matter to you I assume you would be an L.A. Titans fans also if Bud moved there?

Sadly, yes. I'm married to this team, even if they move to L.A., Montana or Hawaii. Actually, I'd like to go to a game there. Move em Bud!

ReliantTexan
12-26-2008, 10:57 PM
If were talking modern times well we have the best team in the NFL and the Texans are probably going to finish 7-9 which again falls short of finishing over .500 which IMO is a pretty pathetic goal to try and reach.

If you guys want to live 10 or 20 years ago go for it, I'm going to live in the now.Well since we're talking about modern times. You do realize that not even 2 weeks ago, your inbreds lost to this "pathetic" Texans team you've been here ripping on, right? So you can save the high and mighty talk for next year when the titans play the Texans again.

toronto
12-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Well since we're talking about modern times. You do realize that not even 2 weeks ago, your inbreds lost to this "pathetic" Texans team you've been here ripping on, right? So you can save the high and mighty talk for next year when the titans play the Texans again.

Wow another 'inbred' joke. Man get some new material already.

LonerATO
12-27-2008, 02:19 AM
I would almost hold no ill will against the Titans if Bud backed up and moved them to a different city. I think for me its still fresh in my mind the day they left and I have a ton of hate since the team is still in the same place they first moved to.

Eddyc85
12-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Well since we're talking about modern times. You do realize that not even 2 weeks ago, your inbreds lost to this "pathetic" Texans team you've been here ripping on, right? So you can save the high and mighty talk for next year when the titans play the Texans again.

Yea so your what 1-7 against us in the last 8 games? Not to mention still working on your first winning season which looks like it will have to take another year.

ReliantTexan
12-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Wow another 'inbred' joke. Man get some new material already.It's not a joke it's just a fact. Titans are the inbred children of uranus.:specnatz:

Showtime100
12-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Yea so your what 1-7 against us in the last 8 games? Not to mention still working on your first winning season which looks like it will have to take another year.

Yep, that was me. (he'll understand)

Silver Oak
12-27-2008, 08:10 AM

you do realize we're only a 6 year old franchise correct? so when you say we've "never" been to the playoffs, and we've "never" had a winning season, it comes across as pretty stupid...no personal offense intended, even if accurate.

results tend to be skewed when looking at short term results and data in any field, but when we reach the 20 year point in our history, the highs and lows will have balanced out and your win percentage against us will be somewhat closer IMO.

spurstexanstros
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Kinda like baths in Tennesee.

spurstexanstros
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I have been to LP. It is nice for a college stadium but it is a little on the small side.

Isnt that what we said about Bud?

Blazing Arrow
12-27-2008, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=Silver Oak;1084916]you do realize we're only a 6 year old franchise correct? /QUOTE]

Your 7 years old but don't let me tell you your team history.

Bipolar The Titan
12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't understand why that 6 year old argument is suppossed to hold up. That is ample time to build a winner.

Tennessee was playoff caliber in 2003 and prior to that. Over 2004 and 2005 they won 9 games, had their rosters implode and lost practically everyone they made their playoff run with... at least the veterans. Over 2006 they broke the .500 mark then turned the corner in 2007 making the playoffs. Now in 2008 they have the best record in football. To be able to go from one of the worst teams in football to the best in four years is a testament that Houston should be good by now.

toronto
12-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't understand why that 6 year old argument is suppossed to hold up. That is ample time to build a winner.

Tennessee was playoff caliber in 2003 and prior to that. Over 2004 and 2005 they won 9 games, had their rosters implode and lost practically everyone they made their playoff run with... at least the veterans. Over 2006 they broke the .500 mark then turned the corner in 2007 making the playoffs. Now in 2008 they have the best record in football. To be able to go from one of the worst teams in football to the best in four years is a testament that Houston should be good by now.

How long were Carolina and the Jags each in the league before they made the playoffs?

Answer: Carolina - year 2 - made conf. championship
Answer: Jax - Year 2 - made wildcard with 9-7 record, also made playoffs following 3 seasons as well...

Brando
12-27-2008, 10:38 PM
How long were Carolina and the Jags each in the league before they made the playoffs?

Answer: Carolina - year 2 - made conf. championship
Answer: Jax - Year 2 - made wildcard with 9-7 record, also made playoffs following 3 seasons as well...

They made it more difficult for the Texans and Browns to put a team together just because of those 2 expansion teams. Apples and oranges but yeah we should have a winner by now but it was dwarfed by the 3 C's, Casserly,Capers, and Carr.

toronto
12-27-2008, 10:43 PM
They made it more difficult for the Texans and Browns to put a team together just because of those 2 expansion teams. Apples and oranges but yeah we should have a winner by now but it was dwarfed by the 3 C's, Casserly,Capers, and Carr.

IIRC, the Jags and Panthers were given an extra draft pick per round in their first drafts?

Dread-Head
12-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Yeah you're right. The Titans didn't have an established organization. They had to hire a GM, head coach, coordinators, and various staff so that the new Owner Bud Adams would be well prepared to face the rigors of the NFL. NO WAIT when Bud Adams had a FLEDGELING team it was in the old American Football League and the NFL were teams like the Bears, Packers and Cleveland rams. Wasn't the year 1960? I believe it was! Bud's NFL franchise came into existence after the merger of the AFL and NFL so please don't give me the whole "The Titans built a team in no time flat" bull$h:t because it won't fly.

Dread-Head
12-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Nah, not arrogance, but there's a definate chip on some shoulders. And for the record, NO ONE ON THE PLANET are bigger douchebags than Cowboy fans. They are in a class/planet of their own. Case closed.

Note to all the Cowboy fans in here who frequently accuse me of being the catalyst to most anti Cowboy/cowboy fan sentiment in here...I didn't write the comment in quotation marks here...translation...SEE it's NOT just me!

Respectfully,

Sir Dreadford Headington KBE, BMF, USMC, KKK (don't ask), YMCA, MC-DJ, WKRP (...in Cinicinati)

Hookem Horns
12-28-2008, 01:31 AM
IIRC, the Jags and Panthers were given an extra draft pick per round in their first drafts?

I don't remember all the particulars but they both had a lot of advantages that no other expansion teams had. Because of their quick success the NFL made a bunch of changes so that wouldn't happen again. Both the new Browns and Texans paid for that.

However I agree that the Texans have had ample time to build a winner. Though with any expansion team the Texans are dealing with a rookie owner who made some early mistakes, the most notably being Charlie Casserly, Dom Capers, and David Carr.

LonerATO
12-28-2008, 02:45 AM
both teams had almost full access to all NFL team rosters plus the extra pick, hence unfair advantage that is no longer used.

Grams
12-28-2008, 07:17 AM

Let's take the Patriots and move them lock, stock and barrel to Nebraska, build them a new stadium. How long will it take them to have a winning season?

Prpbably not long either as they will have the same owner, coaches and players as you did when you moved to Tennessee.

Building as franchise from scratch usually takes a while. Even the Patriots suffered through years of mediocrity before they started winning on a regular basis.

It takes the right combination of GM, Scouting and coaches. If one or mores part are bad then it takes several more years to get it right. Casserly and Capers did a good job of leaving us where we were when they started - with the exception of a few good players.

toronto
12-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Let's take the Patriots and move them lock, stock and barrel to Nebraska, build them a new stadium. How long will it take them to have a winning season?

Prpbably not long either as they will have the same owner, coaches and players as you did when you moved to Tennessee.

Building as franchise from scratch usually takes a while. Even the Patriots suffered through years of mediocrity before they started winning on a regular basis.

It takes the right combination of GM, Scouting and coaches. If one or mores part are bad then it takes several more years to get it right. Casserly and Capers did a good job of leaving us where we were when they started - with the exception of a few good players.

Normally, this post is 100% correct. The Titans are a bit of an anomoly.

1) Normally when a franchise goes tits up performance-wise, the coach is toast. Fisher bucked this trend. The team benefited bigtime from him not getting the axe.

2) The Titans have had some higher picks go to waste (Pacman, Woolfolk, Chris Henry, Tyrone Calico, VY) yet they hit so much on middle and late rounders (Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Hayes) as well as finding players in the scrap heap (Collins, Tony Brown, David Ball) that it negates the bigtime busts. Most teams would never be able to survive such huge busts on draftday. They have had some success (Griffin, Johnson) so not every first rounder was terrible.

I'm just dumbfounded how the Titans had these misses and actually became a better team. Kinda like the Pats losing Bledsoe and becoming a world champ x 3.

3) Steady decisionmaking with no panic moves. Unlike Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie, hell the entire NFC East minus the Giants, the Titans don't panic when free agents start signing ridiculous contracts. I remember the Titans boards just losing it when Nate Clements signed a sick contract with SF 2 years ago. Same with Assante Samuel and Berrian last year. Steady teams like the Titans recognized that these players were way overvalued and would not only not improve the team, but would likely rock the boat due to their contracts making other players mad. Same for the Roy Williams trade by Jerry Jones. It accomplished zilch for a dysfunctional team and they will regret it bigtime come draftday, which is showing signs of being a sweet as hell first round.

4) The players the Titans did target were better fits. Chris Hope, David Thornton, Justin Gage, Alge Crumpler and Jake Scott have all proven to be decent to terrific moves, and none were huge deals.

I will say this. The Titans blueprint to 13-2 this year is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen. I am wondering if the team just caught lightning in a bottle, and need to cash in this year while the getting is good. But when I look at the nucleus, the team is young. The only position that I would call 'aging' is LB, where Bulluck and Thornton could use their heir(s).

I was really worried about losing Haynesworth, but after the Steelers game, the team may have another hit on the hands in Jason Jones, a player I remember saying "Who the hell is that" on draft day when I was praying they would trade up and grab DeSean Jackson.

spurstexanstros
12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
and thats when the Bud Adams curse kicks in.....obviously you havent read the history books.

Brando
12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Normally, this post is 100% correct. The Titans are a bit of an anomoly.

1) Normally when a franchise goes tits up performance-wise, the coach is toast. Fisher bucked this trend. The team benefited bigtime from him not getting the axe.

2) The Titans have had some higher picks go to waste (Pacman, Woolfolk, Chris Henry, Tyrone Calico, VY) yet they hit so much on middle and late rounders (Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Hayes) as well as finding players in the scrap heap (Collins, Tony Brown, David Ball) that it negates the bigtime busts. Most teams would never be able to survive such huge busts on draftday. They have had some success (Griffin, Johnson) so not every first rounder was terrible.

I'm just dumbfounded how the Titans had these misses and actually became a better team. Kinda like the Pats losing Bledsoe and becoming a world champ x 3.

3) Steady decisionmaking with no panic moves. Unlike Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie, hell the entire NFC East minus the Giants, the Titans don't panic when free agents start signing ridiculous contracts. I remember the Titans boards just losing it when Nate Clements signed a sick contract with SF 2 years ago. Same with Assante Samuel and Berrian last year. Steady teams like the Titans recognized that these players were way overvalued and would not only not improve the team, but would likely rock the boat due to their contracts making other players mad. Same for the Roy Williams trade by Jerry Jones. It accomplished zilch for a dysfunctional team and they will regret it bigtime come draftday, which is showing signs of being a sweet as hell first round.

4) The players the Titans did target were better fits. Chris Hope, David Thornton, Justin Gage, Alge Crumpler and Jake Scott have all proven to be decent to terrific moves, and none were huge deals.

I will say this. The Titans blueprint to 13-2 this year is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen. I am wondering if the team just caught lightning in a bottle, and need to cash in this year while the getting is good. But when I look at the nucleus, the team is young. The only position that I would call 'aging' is LB, where Bulluck and Thornton could use their heir(s).

I was really worried about losing Haynesworth, but after the Steelers game, the team may have another hit on the hands in Jason Jones, a player I remember saying "Who the hell is that" on draft day when I was praying they would trade up and grab DeSean Jackson.

I hate the Titans but you have good takes and that was a good post. Rep.

Now I hope that Bud curse kicks in!:thisbig::)

toronto
12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I hate the Titans but you have good takes and that was a good post. Rep.

Now I hope that Bud curse kicks in!:thisbig::)

Thanks and understand on the Bud thing. I want the damn ring despite that mofo.

Wolf
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Keep hanging your hat on that, it's all you got. We'll move on to bigger and better things, like watching my youngsters plant Big Ben all game and clinch homefield.

How Did YOUR followup go ?

(Just ribbing ya Toronto)
:joker:

toronto
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
How Did YOUR followup go ?

(Just ribbing ya Toronto)
:joker:

I knew the game would be flag football, but man I'm not used to Fisher going that easy in a game. Not sure how I feel about it.

I did re-discover that VY is an absolute mess. The kid just has no football IQ.

Blazing Arrow
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I did re-discover that VY is an absolute mess. The kid just has no football IQ.

Yeah ... I had forgot how bad he is. It is indescribable at times. You are playing a #2 D. These guys you should light up especially with your legs and you drop that egg. The sooner we can move past the Young 'era' the better.

Wolf
12-29-2008, 11:13 AM
this season has to be a wake up call for vince.. No going back to UT , no bars in austin.. He should be moving into Heimerdinger's guest house for the offseason, with a big screen tv with game film on it (with closed caption on to0)

Turning point for Vince and his career ..

Hookem Horns
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Bud isn't going to give up on Vince too easily. He doesn't want all that egg on his face since getting Vince was his idea to start off with. He drafted Vince to "stick it to Houston" and the Laniers (Mrs. Lanier was actively lobbying for the Texans to draft VY and I understand that Bud was quite aware of that). Everyone remember what Bud's first move with VY was? He put him on his private jet and brought him back to Houston (not Nashville) to show him off.

VY is a pawn in Bud's personal vendetta war against Houston. Because of that I don't see Bud giving up on him anytime soon. Bud should just be happy that he got some limited satisfaction after that first game in Reliant when Vince was running around like a jackass pumping his chest saying "this is my house". The ones who are going to pay in the long run are the Titans coaches and their fans, not the intended target.

Texan_Bill
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Bud isn't going to give up on Vince too easily. He doesn't want all that egg on his face since getting Vince was his idea to start off with. He drafted Vince to "stick it to Houston" and the Laniers (Mrs. Lanier was actively lobbying for the Texans to draft VY and I understand that Bud was quite aware of that). Everyone remember what Bud's first move with VY was? He put him on his private jet and brought him back to Houston (not Nashville) to show him off.

VY is a pawn in Bud's personal vendetta war against Houston. Because of that I don't see Bud giving up on him anytime soon. Bud should just be happy that he got some limited satisfaction after that first game in Reliant when Vince was running around like a jackass pumping his chest saying "this is my house". The ones who are going to pay in the long run are the Titans coaches and their fans, not the intended target.

:bat:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/vy-adams.jpg

Wolf
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM

very true Hook 'em

HOU-TEX
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
:bat:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/vy-adams.jpg

Mother of Pearl! That's a very disturbing picture. Neg Rep! :winky:

BTW, I agree with Hookem. It's nice to see the vendetta he has against Houston blowing up in his face.

Texan_Bill
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Mother of Pearl! That's a very disturbing picture. Neg Rep! :winky:

BTW, I agree with Hookem. It's nice to see the vendetta he has against Houston blowing up in his face.

Is that what all the red splotches on his face are? Shrapnel??

Look close at Spud's eyes..... Soulless and eerie.

HOU-TEX
12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Is that what all the red splotches on his face are? Shrapnel??

Look close at Spud's eyes..... Soulless and eerie.

He's soon to become the new Crypt Keeper.....with worse hair

http://media.movieweb.com/news/10.2007/crypt.jpg

Texan_Bill
12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
He's soon to become the new Crypt Keeper.....with worse hair

http://media.movieweb.com/news/10.2007/crypt.jpg

Hilarious!! "... with worse hair"