PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Adibi

TEXANRED
12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
So here was my thought going into this game and my thought after the game. When Adibi was starting all of the sudden our front 7 started to play lights out. The flats were covered, the edge was contained, offenses were only converting 20% of there 3rd downs, and TE's stopped shredding our defense.

I wondered if that was a coincidence, removing Greenwood and starting Adibi. I wondered if our D would look like our old D with Adibi out. Well, today, we did.

Adibi gets hurt and we reinsert Greenwood. Today our defense looked pretty much the same as it did for the first part of the season. We had no answer for the short game, our defense was unable to get off the field and the RB's were finding the edge.

So I guess the question will be, is Adibi that damn good or is Greenwood that damn bad?

Also, this just reconfirms we need to draft OLB high in the draft.

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
So here was my thought going into this game and my thought after the game. When Adibi was starting all of the sudden our front 7 started to play lights out. The flats were covered, the edge was contained, offenses were only converting 20% of there 3rd downs, and TE's stopped shredding our defense.

I wondered if that was a coincidence, removing Greenwood and starting Adibi. I wondered if our D would look like our old D with Adibi out. Well, today, we did.

Adibi gets hurt and we reinsert Greenwood. Today our defense looked pretty much the same as it did for the first part of the season. We had no answer for the short game, our defense was unable to get off the field and the RB's were finding the edge.

So I guess the question will be, is Adibi that damn good or is Greenwood that damn bad?

Also, this just reconfirms we need to draft OLB high in the draft.

No. Richard Smith is that damn bad. Somehow I think he was given the reigns of the D for the Raidas game to see if he learned anything. Guess what Richard Smith. You get an F!

YoungTexanFan
12-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, Adibi is a big benefit to our team. He brings a lot of what our LBs lack. However, Greenwood is that bad. He just isn't capable of playing how we need him to play.

disaacks3
12-21-2008, 07:18 PM
No. Richard Smith is that damn bad. Somehow I think he was given the reigns of the D for the Raidas game to see if he learned anything. Guess what Richard Smith. You get an F! I was thinking about Adibi's impact myself, but...

Today was a true TEAM effort. - Coaching, Special Teams, Run Offense, Passing Offense, Rushing Defense, Passing Defense - all equally sucked. The laid a multi-colored EASTER Egg. Flatter than 3-day-old roadkill.

My ONLY sincere hope is that this costs Richard Smith his job and we get to see if our players are really that bad, or if it's the coaching holding them back.

edo783
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it is a couple of things, Adibi is that much better than Greenwood and Smith turned turtle without him available and went back to the bend-don't-break crapolla defense that was such a non-success for most of the season. Couple that with a team that was flat emotionally and never on rhythm playing against a team at home and with emotion and you get todays game. Add in a stupid 3 & 4 th with less than 1 calls and it gets ugly.

PapaL
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I had a similar thought.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing Greenwood making a tackle on his guy 8 yards down field and struting about. You should have been in position and tackled him for 2 yards!

steelbtexan
12-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing Adibi gives the LB corps a speed element. The ability to blitz & get to the QB or cover the TE. (versatility)

I hope we take Phillips from TCU a former rb that they moved to LB. He has real speed & will get picked later than he should because of lack of weight (like Adibi). He's a big time playmaker though.

barrett
12-21-2008, 10:29 PM
he's definitly an upgrade over greenwood but that doesn't explain why the other guys suddenly couldn't tackle.

Ole Miss Texan
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Shows you all the more reason why LB shouldn't be ruled out as a 1st round pick.... jus sayin'

let's not bank on greenwood being our backup and steel-rod leg diles making a quicker comeback than dunta.

beerlover
12-22-2008, 12:40 AM
what it shows is that its a players league & coaches can't run pass or kick :rally:

Ckw
12-22-2008, 12:47 AM
what it shows is that its a players league & coaches can't run pass or kick :rally:

Or in today's case, block. :goodpost:

Goldensilence
12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Shows you all the more reason why LB shouldn't be ruled out as a 1st round pick.... jus sayin'

let's not bank on greenwood being our backup and steel-rod leg diles making a quicker comeback than dunta.

Nope shouldn't be ruled out at all. I think the two biggest impact positions are going to be OG and OLB. Doubt Curry is going to still be available but we're going to be in a good position to take one of the other first round talent LBs. I like Diles as depth and everyone loves a good effort player but this team is going to need speed at LB if we want to compete with the upper echelon teams. We need two guys outside of Ryans that can run sideline to sideline.

To me this game also showed we need one guy on the interior of the line we can count on to consistently fire off the snap and push the defender in front of him back. It's killing us on short conversions and when we get in he red zone. For where we'll pick Robinson could be that guy or we could trade down again and pick up a guy like Alex Mack.

TimeKiller
12-22-2008, 07:20 AM
pick up a guy like Alex Mack.

the C from Cal right? Myers is just barely able to get the ball to Matt before he gets pushed over or knocked back 3 yards, he's clearly the weakest link on the line, even with Briesel at RG. Max Unger another guy to look at. O'line has played well at times this year but still incomplete.

TEXANRED
12-22-2008, 07:23 AM
To me this game also showed we need one guy on the interior of the line we can count on to consistently fire off the snap and push the defender in front of him back. It's killing us on short conversions and when we get in he red zone. For where we'll pick Robinson could be that guy or we could trade down again and pick up a guy like Alex Mack.

You know its funny. Pretty much everyone on the board agrees that we need to draft interior line this year but no one is willing to say the name of the person that needs to be replaced. Yes I know Myers comes to the immediate mind but I see an awful lot of people saying that we need a Guard.

From my observation all of our big runs have come off the right side of the line while running to the left usually results in short or loss of yardage. Are we all ready to say that Pitts is not our guy for this system?

Mr teX
12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
You know its funny. Pretty much everyone on the board agrees that we need to draft interior line this year but no one is willing to say the name of the person that needs to be replaced. Yes I know Myers comes to the immediate mind but I see an awful lot of people saying that we need a Guard.

From my observation all of our big runs have come off the right side of the line while running to the left usually results in short or loss of yardage. Are we all ready to say that Pitts is not our guy for this system?

i've been saying this about pitts....serviceable at every position on the line, but not really great at either 1. we all know that meyers is trash but duane brown is looking terrible out there too. i know he's just a rookie but it doesn't seem like he's getting any better.

As far as the thread, i thought the exact same thing when i was watching the game yesterday. & the answer is that Greenwood is that terrible. How else do you explain the exact same blitz schemes that had been successful during our 4 game win streak & Adibi's starting, all of a sudden not working when he's inserted as a starter?...... against a garbage raider offense that had done nothing all season no less? The short passing game (usually right around where the LB's cover) was there all day for Russell.

AFTexanFan
12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Adibi's speed and ability to cover TEs and slot WRs allows to defense to blitz more than with Greenwood in the game. With Adibi in the game there is no more vanilla scheme, but without him... How many times did we blitz yesterday? Not many, and thats why the secondary got torched once again by a mediocre QB.

Arky
12-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I've got the Texans as 4-1 when Adibi starts; 3-7 when Greenwood starts.....

HOU-TEX
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Let me start off by saying Greenwood has gone from an over-paid mediocre LB to the worst LB on the team who's being paid the highest. I'd rather scrape my 2 front teeth across cement than see that POS in coverage. Mother of God, how can he be so bad after this many years of coaching?? Stick with the Jamaican rappin buddy! Or whatever the hell you call it

I like Adibi and what he can bring to the D, but the dude has to be able to stay on the field. We need to draft another LB on the 1st day.

Ole Miss Texan
12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
From my observation all of our big runs have come off the right side of the line while running

If you notice, 90% of Slaton's runs where he keeps churning his legs and the pile moves... Winston is their either pulling from the front or in the back pushing everybody.

I think Winston and Owen Daniels are huge in the running game. Daniels keeps making big block after big block downfield.

TimeKiller
12-22-2008, 11:00 AM

If we're replacing a guard I think Briesel gets the cut before Pitts, don't you?

Vinny
12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
If we're replacing a guard I think Briesel gets the cut before Pitts, don't you?
Pitts is a pro bowl alternate so yeah, lets get rid of him. brilliant stuff.

HOU-TEX
12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Yesterday, our OT's were pathetic. I don't know what's wrong with Winston, but he's been taken to School 2 games in a row now. Brown was beat by speed rushes...again!

IMO, Pitts got dicked on the 15 yarder. Not only did Sands rip Pitts' freakin helmet off, he took a swing at him after it was off. Whatever! It was nice seeing Pitts get his fuse lit. Too bad it didn't translate to the rest of the team.

Carr Bombed
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Well as far as Adibi goes, in his short time as a Texan he's been extremely injury prone.......he's always knicked up so Houston needs to probably draft another LB in the mid rounds as a insurance policy. So far Adibi hasn't proven that he can hold up at this level.

Porky
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

LOL. That was my thought exactly. :devilpig:

b0ng
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Will demps : Pro bowl alternate.

Just sayin

TimeKiller
12-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Uh...did you mean to quote me?

dalemurphy
12-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Will demps : Pro bowl alternate.

Just sayin

I think the OL is starting to look pretty good. I was down on Briesel early in the year, but it looks like he's playing pretty well now. Both our tackles have been somewhat inconsistant but both are young and there's been plenty of evidence that they're going to be good- I think Winston already is good. I'm still worried about Myers as a starter but he's not been bad. I love Rashod Butler as the swing tackle next year. However, I really don't like Studdard, I'm not sold on Chris White either. So, I would agree that we need help on the interior line, but only as depth and competition... I don't have any desire to get rid of those 5 guys out there. They've improved dramatically this year.