PDA

View Full Version : The team was just flat today

Marcus
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey, it happens. Especially after a big win. It happens to all teams during the season.

It happened to the Texans today. It was team effort.

Maddict5
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
meh it kinda sucks but maybe it'll do them good in the long term... hopefully they'll remember it and wont let it happen next yr when we might have something to play for

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
meh it kinda sucks but maybe it'll do them good in the long term... hopefully they'll remember it and wont let it happen next yr when we might have something to play for

meh. I hope you're right.

TexanSam
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh well. Texans aren't really playing for much so I'm not as frustrated after this loss. Better draft position!

GuerillaBlack
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm pretty sure this happened last year (Atlanta game). Maybe this one will finally kick them in the head. One more game left. Sucks that we could have had a winning season, and sucks that Kubiak thought he was Tony Dungy out there.

gwallaia
12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
They were just not ready to play. Looked flat and uninspired all day.

Pantherstang84
Oh well. Texans aren't really playing for much so I'm not as frustrated after this loss. Better draft position!

Love that loser attitude.

TexansSeminole
Wow, we've gone to saying meh, and oh well after a loss to the 3-11 Raiders. Giving up 27 points to one of the worst offenses in the league.

Wolfiegrrl
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I hope this game solidifies the need for a new defensive coordinator. I'm tired of seeing this team play this way. It hurts my heart.

ATX
They got outplayed today by an inferior team, we were on the opposite end last week.

Pantherstang84
Wow, we've gone to saying meh, and oh well after a loss to the 3-11 Raiders. Giving up 27 points to one of the worst offenses in the league.

Would you rather I throw stuff in my house and make a mess?

I'm furious. Not much I can do about it though.

Lucky
12-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey, it happens. Especially after a big win.Fortunately, the Texans don't get a lot of big wins.

But you're right, it was no big deal. The Texans were going nowhere this offseason...win, lose, or draw. Kubiak will return. Dick Smith will return. Cheering for 1st downs will return. Average football will return. No biggie.

TexansSeminole
12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Would you rather I throw stuff in my house and make a mess?

I'm furious. Not much I can do about it though.

As if saying meh and oh well is the only alternative.

Pantherstang84
Fortunately, the Texans don't get a lot of big wins.

But you're right, it was no big deal. The Texans were going nowhere this offseason...win, lose, or draw. Kubiak will return. Dick Smith will return. Cheering for 1st downs will return. Average football will return. No biggie.

Sad but true.

TexSon

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
As if saying meh and oh well is the only alternative.

Again. What would you have me do to prove my ire?

TexanSam
Love that loser attitude.

I'm not for the Texans losing. But since any chance at success this season was over when we were 3-7, everything since has just been a type of facade. Not that the Texans are totally fool's gold since they do have the appearance that they can be a good team, but this season they aren't. For me, there is no difference this season should the Texans finish 7-9 or 8-8. I prefer 8-8 because it's one more victory, but if we lose I won't be that upset since there hasn't been much to play for for a while this season.

TexansSeminole
Again. What would you have me do to prove my ire?

Don't much care what you do.

I was proving a point and I think it was proven well.

We as fans expect these letdowns.

TEXANRED
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM

I agree. We were not well prepared for this game at all. They took AJ away and didnt have an answer for that. Which is weird when you consider that we have KW, OD, and Slaton.

This was a bad game.

PapaL
12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Flat like we go steamrolled by the power house steamroller known at Oakland.

*sigh*

I'm done. It's out of my system.

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM

It is sad. Some of us have been calling for Richard Smith for 2 years now. However, he is still here. The team is young, but for cryin out loud. You would think Kubiak would blow a gasket or something every time the team shows up for practice with the ho hum attitude. What will it take to turn the freaking corner?! I'm frustrated as hell!

Tailgate
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Wait.... yes I can. These are the same Houston fricking Texans I have known from day one. Just better at hiding themselves. I mean whew... for a second there I thought this was a new team! Yay.

Marcus
12-21-2008, 06:12 PM

No, I don't think you understand his point.

If you want to cut your wrists, or go jump off a bridge or something, by all means, don't let me stop you. I was just saying they played flat today.

AnthonyE
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM

The way I feel. To a T.

I think a loss after a tremendous 4 game winning streak as a let down more than an outrage. So meh.

euro-Texan
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
The way I feel. To a T.

I think a loss after a tremendous 4 game winning streak as a let down more than an outrage. So meh.

Man I can't wait until Thursday or Friday when I feel like that. I'm so bummed right now though.:drunk:

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The way I feel. To a T.

A four game winning streak may be tremendous in terms of the Texans. However in the rest of the league it is just meh.

AnthonyE
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
A four game winning streak may be tremendous in terms of the Texans. However in the rest of the league it is just meh.

I would consider a dominant win on MNF, a convincing win in Lambeau during the 5th coldest game in stadium history, and a physical win against the AFC's best team pretty tremendous regardless of what team you are. But that's just my opinion.

GuerillaBlack
12-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I would consider a dominant win on MNF, a convincing win in Lambeau during the 5th coldest game in stadium history, and a physical win against the AFC's best team pretty tremendous regardless of what team you are. But that's just my opinion.

I endorse every post by AnthonyE.

Lucky
12-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I would consider a dominant win on MNF, a convincing win in Lambeau during the 5th coldest game in stadium history, and a physical win against the AFC's best team pretty tremendous...
Half of the teams that play on Monday nights come away with a win. The Pack are 3-4 in Lambeau this season. I won't knock the first win against the Titans in the Kubiak era. It felt good. But, the speculation over the past couple of weeks that this was a burgeoning powerhouse seems premature, now.

Pantherstang84
12-21-2008, 07:16 PM

But if you then turn around and lose a gimme game, then the streak gets erased.

You're only as good as your last win.

IlliniJen
12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey, it happens. Especially after a big win. It happens to all teams during the season.

It happened to the Texans today. It was team effort.

The team WAS flat.

But they're also just a mediocre team. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that this Texans team going 8-8 or 7-9 means anything other than we can beat bad teams and can't beat good teams unless we get "up" for the game or are wearing Battle Red.

And this game was winnable. If we had converted a TD off that late turnover by the Raiders and gone for 2, we would have potentially been down by 3 with a huge momentum shift in our favor.

EXCEPT, Gary Kubiak is our coach and can't make a good decision if it fell out of the sky and hit him upside the head ala George meeting her end via a flaming toilet seat from the Mir Space Station in "Dead Like Me."

threetoedpete
12-21-2008, 07:29 PM

That first series they were on fire.

After the onside kick...they were just stunned. The Raiders had a great game plan. The took both receivers out of the game and out manned our lines. Hats off to them. They played a great game.

Runner
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Yep - it's just one game.

Again.

TexanSam
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Half of the teams that play on Monday nights come away with a win. The Pack are 3-4 in Lambeau this season. I won't knock the first win against the Titans in the Kubiak era. It felt good. But, the speculation over the past couple of weeks that this was a burgeoning powerhouse seems premature, now.

I'm not saying the Texans are a future powerhouse in the NFL, but I think we're closer to being a very good team than to being a bad team.

IlliniJen
12-21-2008, 07:37 PM
It is sad. Some of us have been calling for Richard Smith for 2 years now. However, he is still here. The team is young, but for cryin out loud. You would think Kubiak would blow a gasket or something every time the team shows up for practice with the ho hum attitude. What will it take to turn the freaking corner?! I'm frustrated as hell!

These Texans are going to drive me to drink.

If they bring Smith back next year, I may take a year off being a Texans fan and fall back on my childhood team of da Bears.

Look, if you're a Lions fan, you KNOW deep in your heart, your Lions are going to suck and suck hard. But as a Texans fan, I feel they are a few good coaches and players away from being really good. Like scary good. And for some reason, instead of making the moves necessary to take that next step, to truly turn that corner, the owner and the fans settle for the same mediocrity year after year.

I guess if you're McNair, you really don't give a damn since you keep selling out your stadium and your corporate sponsors keep shelling money your way. Maybe this economy will force him to put quality on the field, instead of just putting any ol' football product out there.

Runner
12-21-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not saying the Texans are a future powerhouse in the NFL, but I think we're closer to being a very good team than to being a bad team.

At .500, I'd put the Texans equidistant from very good and very bad.

TexanSam
12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
At .500, I'd put the Texans equidistant from very good and very bad.

Record wise, it looks that way. From what I've seen though, I think they're closer to being a good team beginning next year than taking a leap backwards.

IlliniJen
12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Record wise, it looks that way. From what I've seen though, I think they're closer to being a good team beginning next year than taking a leap backwards.

I think next year, realistically, the Texans will be who we thought they were, a 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 team but not really any better or worse. Just more of the same frustration.

Lucky
12-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I guess if you're McNair, you really don't give a damn since you keep selling out your stadium and your corporate sponsors keep shelling money your way.
I don't agree with that. I believe McNair wants to win. I just don't think he has the personality to instill the urgency to win. There's a difference between wanting something and having the willingness to get something. That's what this organization lacks, from the top down.

threetoedpete
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM

I agree. They just need a few pieces. I know we say this every year. They need to make a few moves.....but they are close. Close to catching Manning and the Colt's ? I don't know. Gotta give your self a shot at winning the division. That there is a NFL reality. Just going is not good enough. Last two seasons that has been way beyond our reach. They have more depth than at any point in their history. Better game planning, better field management....just a little bit more talent, we'll be knocking on the door. No 14-2's in August though please.

threetoedpete
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't agree with that. I believe McNair wants to win. I just don't think he has the personality to instill the urgency to win. There's a difference between wanting something and having the willingness to get something. That's what this organization lacks, from the top down.

I agree. No one is hurting more than Bob McNair. I gotta feeling he'd cheat kids in tidily-winks rather than throw a game or except mediocre. Lot of people you could throw rocks at. But Mr. McNair has stepped up to the plate every time the coach asked for anything that they suggested they required to make the team more competitive.

JaneDoe
12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Cheering for 1st downs will return.

OMG, it is so LAME. So backwoods high-schoolish. Ugh.

IlliniJen
12-21-2008, 08:03 PM

I have a hard time believing that a guy that built his own fortune doesn't have the internal fortitude (my words, not yours) to get 'er done applying the same business savvy he used to become a rich man.

Until this guy goes after proven winners, I won't believe he actually wants to win. I think he believes he might luck into success via picking the right rookie or middling coach, and really has no financial incentive to do anything but wait for the right mix to fall into place at the right price.

I'd buck for McNair to get fired too if it were possible. I'm so angry at this team from top to bottom right now, and I wasn't even this angry during the 2-14 year. You know those people in theaters who yell at the screen when the moron girl is about to make herself an easy victim to the crazed psycho killer by doing something stupid, like looking around the house? I feel like that person, yelling at the screen, and the Texans, instead of getting the hell out of the house, are going to go upstairs and check on the children.

JaneDoe
12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Man I can't wait until Thursday or Friday when I feel like that. I'm so bummed right now though.:drunk:

Yep, a half a bottle of wine and instead of pissed, now I'm just, "Meh".

Hooston Texan
12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
This game felt like the last game of the 2004 season when we let a terrible Browns team push us around and prevent us from getting to 8-8.

The pessimist in me is just hoping that history does not repeat itself: the bottom fell out for the franchise starting with that awful Browns game--to the tune of a 2-18 record in the next 20 games.

The optimist in me thinks that this team is miles and miles better than the 2004 team whose wins late in the year were smoke-and-mirrors jobs against some of the worst offenses imaginable. Trap game, bad track, blah, blah, blah.

The realist in me thinks this is still the best team in franchise history but they still have a ton of work to do before we see a meaningful game played in December.

Yankee_In_TX
12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Meh, what a bs kick to the sac for fans. Seriously. Let's see how incredibly inconsistent we can be. We get a few wins and then decide that we're going back to our inability to score from the red zone and turning the ball over at crucial times and a defense that can't stop anything.

Urgh.

There goes our shot at a winning season. We suck yet again.

Brando
12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
These Texans are going to drive me to drink.

If they bring Smith back next year, I may take a year off being a Texans fan and fall back on my childhood team of da Bears.

Look, if you're a Lions fan, you KNOW deep in your heart, your Lions are going to suck and suck hard. But as a Texans fan, I feel they are a few good coaches and players away from being really good. Like scary good. And for some reason, instead of making the moves necessary to take that next step, to truly turn that corner, the owner and the fans settle for the same mediocrity year after year.

I guess if you're McNair, you really don't give a damn since you keep selling out your stadium and your corporate sponsors keep shelling money your way. Maybe this economy will force him to put quality on the field, instead of just putting any ol' football product out there.

Weren't you the one that was complaining about Houston being a bandwagon city? If that isn't a bandwagon statement I don't know what is. I don't care who is the DC next year I'll be rooting for the Texans no matter what. I'll be frustrated if Dick Smith is back as DC, but I will still be a Texans fan.

gary
12-21-2008, 08:28 PM
MS had a bad game and the passing game was not all there today. Thank goodness Steve Slaton showed up to play today like he always does every Sunday. Doesn't he? God, I just love that man. That is about all that showed up today for our Texans not much in our passing game today IMO. One TD in the redzone just is not going to get us a win. Both fazes of the Oak O game was working for the most part rushing and passing for sure. They did a great job of covering the number one WR in the NFL today AJ. I am sure he will be back next Sunday against the Bears. They were in Matt's face often. Gary K. was out coached on fourth down play he should have ran the football or done a QB sneak I that we all agree on that pretty much.

IlliniJen
12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Weren't you the one that was complaining about Houston being a bandwagon city? If that isn't a bandwagon statement I don't know what is. I don't care who is the DC next year I'll be rooting for the Texans no matter what. I'll be frustrated if Dick Smith is back as DC, but I will still be a Texans fan.

Look, I've been a Texans fan from the beginning. I've seen EVERY SINGLE game save for maybe two because I was traveling. I'm damn frustrated with this team and if they make the horrible decision to bring Smith back as DC, I think the Texans can deal with my not being a fan until they get rid of him. I'm sick of bad decisions impacting this team when it's clear that we need a new direction, especially on defense. If they bring Smith back, it sends a message, to me at least, that they're okay with NOT improving, that 8-8 is just fine with them as long as they have tickets sold.

There's a difference between people bandwagoning onto a team that's successful that they've never had much interest in before. I'm just sick of feeling like a freakin' moron for getting fed the same pablum by the Texans because they stick too long with people who have no business coaching or playing for a professional football team.

Fox
12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Agree with the OP. Just looked flat from start to finish, on both sides of the ball to me today. While I was definitely disappointed that we couldn't keep rolling against one of the worst teams in the league, this doesn't change my thoughts on the direction this team is heading. I think this team could be a lot more effective with a competent short yardage back to punch it in when we get inside the 10. We seem to have no problems until we get point blank to the end zone, then Slaton just gets stonewalled. We have a top 5 offense in terms of yards, we just need some help in the RZ to make our point totals match.

Brando
12-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Look, I've been a Texans fan from the beginning. I've seen EVERY SINGLE game save for maybe two because I was traveling. I'm damn frustrated with this team and if they make the horrible decision to bring Smith back as DC, I think the Texans can deal with my not being a fan until they get rid of him. I'm sick of bad decisions impacting this team when it's clear that we need a new direction, especially on defense. If they bring Smith back, it sends a message, to me at least, that they're okay with NOT improving, that 8-8 is just fine with them as long as they have tickets sold.

There's a difference between people bandwagoning onto a team that's successful that they've never had much interest in before. I'm just sick of feeling like a freakin' moron for getting fed the same pablum by the Texans because they stick too long with people who have no business coaching or playing for a professional football team.

I'm with you and I feel your pain. I do not want Dick Smith back as DC. Hopefully we will put the right pieces together to get us over the hump during the off season, teams like Miami and Atlanta are proof that it can be done.

barrett
12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I still say we're in the thick of the second era of Texans football where we are competitive league wide and can beat any team on any given day. not every given day.

and we're better than we've ever been. we continue to show improvement. some of it is harder to see than the final outcome of the game on sunday.

go texans.

Wolf
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
I was frustrated today AGAIN.. rooting for this team ,so far, is like walking on broken glass. esp. on the road

I do admit watching this game today, I had a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind and it was "Did they give Richard Smith back the full reigns of the defense today?" and the other thought was "Did the Texans put so much into the Titans game that they ran out of juice?"

Vinny
12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
At the beginning of the season I said we sure look like the Denny Green Cardinals...at the end of the season, we sure look like the Denny Green Cardinals. If you wanna crown them, then crown them. They are who we thought they resembled.

Marcus
12-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I do admit watching this game today, I had a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind and it was "Did they give Richard Smith back the full reigns of the defense today?" and the other thought was

"Did the Texans put so much into the Titans game that they ran out of juice?"

Ummm . . . I dunno, I kinda thought that was kind of a given, as to why a team plays flat.

BullBlitz
12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
The players are capable.

The coaching decisions are embarrassing. I'm glad we aren't on national TV most of the time.

Vinny
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
"Did the Texans put so much into the Titans game that they ran out of juice?"In the post game presser, Kubiak was quoted as saying the defense had "dead legs", so he instructed Dick Smith to just save themselves up for the Bears.

noxiousdog
12-22-2008, 07:28 AM
We're a borderline playoff team. Just like the Broncos, Vikings, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Jets, and Eagles.

They all lost too. Several of them at home. A few of them to really bad teams.

When we stop losing to bad teams we'll start being a deep playoff contender. Anyone thinking we were there was deluding themselves. But it's clear we can't be that team with Richard Smith.

gary
12-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Our OL Got beat up and AJ was a nonfacter in this game thanks to their great coverage on him like I've said before. Slaton handles the bulk of the running but we still need a RB to pound the football in form just short of the goal line and some say that Leach is that guy I do not think so. Matt threw a coulple of picks. MW still needs help on the other side of him. JJ and AD needs to work on being a part of the passing game this offseason so when AJ is having a bad game they kind of pick up the slack for him.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
We're a borderline playoff team. Just like the Broncos, Vikings, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Jets, and Eagles.

When we stop losing to bad teams we'll start being a deep playoff contender. Anyone thinking we were there was deluding themselves. But it's clear we can't be that team with Richard Smith.
why mention teams in contention?....this team has been out of the playoff race since the ratbird game. Unlike the other teams you listed we had nothing to play for but marketing yesterday and didn't even do that well.

noxiousdog
12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
why mention teams in contention?....this team has been out of the playoff race since the ratbird game. Unlike the other teams you listed we had nothing to play for but marketing yesterday and didn't even do that well.

That's the point. There's only a handful of teams that don't have days like we did yesterday. We've got a lot of work to be one of those. Yesterday was expected.

TEXANRED
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
In the post game presser, Kubiak was quoted as saying the defense had "dead legs", so he instructed Dick Smith to just save themselves up for the Bears.

I didn't read the presser but, really? He really said that? Kubiak frustrates the hell out of me. Saying something like that is loser talk. He does not create a winning atmosphere by "Saving" his players.

Just like when he "saved" Slaton. Or he did not run against, or even attempted to run against the Ravens cus they are a darn good Run D. Even yesterday by not finding a way to get AJ the ball.

Kubiak is a scared man and you can see it in his play calling, decision making, and the fact that he can not watch game winning plays at the end of the game.

gary
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Why don't we hear much about JJ and AD during the game as far as the passing game goes?

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM

That's the point. There's only a handful of teams that don't have days like we did yesterday. We've got a lot of work to be one of those. Yesterday was expected.
yeah, yesterday was expected....bs. If you want to win in this league you have to go hit someone in the mouth and take it....we are way too soft. This franchise is nearly 100 games old and it will be at least 7 years from the start of this franchise till we see one winning season. I didn't expect that.

beerlover
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
yeah, yesterday was expected....bs. If you want to win in this league you have to go hit someone in the mouth and take it....we are way too soft. This franchise is nearly 100 games old and it will be at least 7 years from the start of this franchise till we see one winning season. I didn't expect that.

shiny happy fan :sarcasm:

Runner
12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
"The team just came out flat" is on a few threads now. I don't know why that is an an acceptable excuse. Saying the team came out flat doesn't mean this game was not an indicator of where the Texans are. This game us just as defining as the Titans game.

There are 16 games in the season. Every one is important. All this talk about how the Texans have learned to win and turned a corner is just talk - and good wishes.

What does came out flat mean anyway? They were so impressed with their gaudy 7-7 record they were too cocky to prepare? Maybe it means that with two games to play they don't need to try to win. All they are playing for is pride, so why bother. Maybe the game was just too much trouble during the holidays.

This is just another game with an excuse. Subtract all of them and the team is 7-0. No wonder they project so well.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I didn't read the presser but, really? He really said that? Kubiak frustrates the hell out of me. Saying something like that is loser talk. He does not create a winning atmosphere by "Saving" his players.

Just like when he "saved" Slaton. Or he did not run against, or even attempted to run against the Ravens cus they are a darn good Run D. Even yesterday by not finding a way to get AJ the ball.

Kubiak is a scared man and you can see it in his play calling, decision making, and the fact that he can not watch game winning plays at the end of the game.that was a joke...sarcasm based on his comments about "saving" Slaton and not using him much vs the ratbirds since he had 'dead legs'.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
"The team just came out flat" is on a few threads now. I don't know why that is an an acceptable excuse. Saying the team came out flat doesn't mean this game was not an indicator of where the Texans are. This game us just as defining as the Titans game.

There are 16 games in the season. Every one is important. All this talk about how the Texans have learned to win and turned a corner is just talk - and good wishes.

What does came out flat mean anyway? They were so impressed with their gaudy 7-7 record they were too cocky to prepare? Maybe it means that with two games to play they don't need to try to win. All they are playing for is pride, so why bother. Maybe the game was just too much trouble during the holidays.

This is just another game with an excuse. Subtract all of them and the team is 7-0. No wonder they project so well.
coming out "flat" is what you do when you start a franchise and wait 8 years for your first winning season.

Specnatz
12-22-2008, 10:41 AM

So what is the point of continuing to be a Texans fan until there is new ownership. If McNair does not have personality to instill urgency and since I do not think personality transplants are possible yet what is the point of continuing to be a fan of the Texans?

Is it Bob Kraft or is it Bill Belichick?

Is it Tony Dungy or is it Jim Irsay

Was it Art Rooney or was it Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher.

I can see Jerry Jones has that .. Oh wait he has not won crap in a long time. Dan Snyder has urgency and spends lots of money and they are not winning.

I guess I just think that it has more to do with a GM getting the right coaches and players that are better than the opponent. Which means having the right scheme for the personnel as well.

gary
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Maybe they were just over too sure that they were going to win.

noxiousdog
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM

Yeah ok. At 8am Sunday why would you have expected them to act like a quality team? The personnel and coaching have been the same all year. Is there really anything that happened yesterday that isn't the norm for this team?

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Maybe they were just over too sure that they were going to win.
This team hasn't had a winning season since....ever. A team that has never had a winning season "sure" they are going to win? Come on gary...think about that one.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah ok. At 8am Sunday why would you have expected them to act like a quality team? The personnel and coaching have been the same all year. Is there really anything that happened yesterday that isn't the norm for this team? I kinda just "expect" the Texans. A mediocre team that is soft and has a penchant for playing poorly on the road. I'm trying to buy into the marketing department but the football team keeps getting in the way of all those goose bumps.

noxiousdog
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
This team hasn't had a winning season since....ever. A team that has never had a winning season "sure" they are going to win? Come on gary...think about that one.

I think there's a lot to it. Vegas gave them a 7 point line. Adam and Matt were giving them 20 point wins. Kubiak commented he didn't see the right focus in practice. 2 pro-bowl selections and 3 alternates.

This team isn't good enough to half-ass it.

gary
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I spoke to EW on Tuesday and he sounded so sure.

Double Barrel
12-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Actually 111 games into this franchise. 39 wins and 72 losses after 7 seasons. No winning season in sight. We are that team now, and will remain that way until proven otherwise.

Well, we have "moral victories" of 3 and 4 game winning streaks. And we finally beat the Titans. I guess micro-baby steps are better than...dysentery, I suppose.

2008 season = :gun:

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I spoke to EW on Tuesday and he sounded so sure.
You can't expect players to be scared. I'm sure the 75 Bucs expected to win some of their games too.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I think there's a lot to it. Vegas gave them a 7 point line. Adam and Matt were giving them 20 point wins. Kubiak commented he didn't see the right focus in practice. 2 pro-bowl selections and 3 alternates.

This team isn't good enough to half-ass it.
If that is really the case then we have a bunch of weakass, delusional players that are led by a Pollyanna coach. Of all teams in the league this one ought to know that the teams on the bottom of the NFL ladder are capable of playing well on any given day.

gary
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I am sure that they felt like this was a team that they should win against.

beerlover
12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Kubiak doesn't excatly project toughness.

Heres the rub, if Kubiak knows practice was flat all week (practice like you play) what adjustments can be made @ that point in time? Its probably too late. what needs to change is the culture of losing, as Vinny states the Texans have excelled for seven years in this department.

Changing this mentality, takes commintment from both players & coaches. losing must become unacceptable, zero tolerance & team accountability. For instance if the Texans lose a game they should win (Oakland) what type of sacrifice or dues ode to ensure this doesn't happen again? what adjustement is made? how they respond are all key to take that edge from whoever they face week in & week out :specnatz:

gary
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Like still find a way to get the football to AJ no matter what.

bckey
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
The Texans had a chance going into this game to continue their quest for a winning 9-7 season for the first time. By losing to the Raiders that ended our chances and it causes a few more negative ripple effects also.

1-If the Texans go on to lose to the Bears and even if they don't then big time free agents will avoid the Texans in a year when the salary cap will permit us to possibly land some. Players want to play for a winner. 6 straight seasons of mediocre football is not going to attract free agents. You end up over paying for average players as we have all seen here.

2-Ending the season with a 9-7 record on a 6 game winning streak would have really been a confidence booster for the entire team along with sending a signal to the rest of the league that the Texans have turned the corner. Now it seems the Texans have sent the opposite signal.

3-Keeping the good players we already have becomes harder because they want to win also. Drafting good players does no good if your team ends up developing them for other teams because they bolt as soon as they become a free agent. I don't see Dunta staying unless Richard Smith gets fired and he is convinced the Texans can finally make the playoffs next season. Would you?

Hopefully the Texans will come out and beat the Bears but that only duplicates last season. That Raiders game was pretty important. Call it a trap game or whatever but the Texans needed a victory.

I guess I'll have to say the same thing I've said at the end of all the other Texan seasons. Wait till next year! That is getting old.

nunusguy
12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Not that I'm for a moment comparing the Texans to the Giants, but for example they lost a road game to Clevland this year because they were, well just flat or uninspired or whatever in that game against a clearly inferior team.
At this stage of the season with no real incentives for winning, I think yesterdays results are basically menaingless.
And for all of those people continuing to call for Smiths head after yesterday,
I had more problems with the calls for the offense than the defense.

bckey
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
And for all of those people continuing to call for Smiths head after yesterday, I had more problems with the calls for the offense than the defense.

I didn't like a lot of the calls on offense either especially in the red zone but the Texans problem this season hasn't been scoring points. It has been on defense. Qbs have all day to throw against us. I'll admit our corners and safeties are mediocre outside of Dunta and even he isn't up to par yet after his injury. But nobody can cover receivers for the length of time opposing qbs have against us. The only reason we beat the Titans was because Collins couldn't hit a barn door that day. Receivers were wide open.

LonerATO
12-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I didn't get to see all of the game but did Bulman play at all? I know the last couple of games some of the bench guys have come off and just dominated and from what I saw the D looked like a joke.

bckey
12-22-2008, 01:33 PM
The worst part of all for me is the Raider game is the last Texan game I get to see this year. The Bears/Texans game is on Fox at the same time as the Cowboys so you know exactly who will be shown in south Texas. I can't go to a sports bar because I will have family in town that will be leaving around 3 pm that day. The Raider game is kind of a sorry game to end the Texans season for me. At least I can't be disappointed again.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I didn't get to see all of the game but did Bulman play at all? I know the last couple of games some of the bench guys have come off and just dominated and from what I saw the D looked like a joke.
I noticed him when Justin Fargas gashed a run to his side as he was easily blocked...he isn't that good in the run game and a big reason he doesn't start.

gary
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Please foregive me The rushing were not very good in this game I don't know why I thought that they were. MS had a bad game and the passing game was not all there today. Steve Slaton did not show up to play today like he always does every Sunday. Doesn't he? Not today though with only 66 yards rushing not good at all. That is about all that showed up today for our Texans not much in our passing game either today IMO. One TD in the redzone just is not going to get us a win. Both fazes of the Oak O game was working for the most part rushing and passing for sure. They did a great job of covering the number one WR in the NFL today AJ. I am sure he will be back next Sunday against the Bears. They were in Matt's face often. Gary K. was out coached just on that one fourth down play he should have ran the football or done a QB sneak I that we all agree on that pretty much. This team still needs a Big RB to pound the football up the gut. I don't think that Leach is that type of guy like some folks do. When AJ is the number one WR in the league you find ways to get the football in his hands no excuses about it. Why don't we hear JJ and AD name in passing game as much as we should be hearing their names called IMO? They need to work on their passing game this offseason so when AJ has a bad game they should pick up the slack for him. You always hear about AJ, Kevin Walter, OD, and sometimes David Anderson you do not hear about AD and JJ as much as you hear about the four names that I listed I think that this is especially true about JJ.

MannyFresh
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Is Cedric Benson available after this season? He'd make a great 3rd down/Red Zone RB.

gary
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I do not know.

Vinny
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Is Cedric Benson available after this season? He'd make a great 3rd down/Red Zone RB.
If they wanted Benson they would have singed him when he was a FA this last year...you know, when our two starting backs were both injured (Green and Brown).

gary
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Come on now Vinny I just knew that Green was going to rush for 1300 yards this season LMAO.

Marcus
12-23-2008, 12:00 AM
What does came out flat mean anyway?

:spit:

euro-Texan
12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
:spit:

Texan-like