PDA

View Full Version : Will the '76 Bucs toast some champaigne?

Wolf
12-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Thinking about a year ago, some were talking about the Patriots and their run for profection, now we have the opposite

Will the bucs have company? Bucs were 0-14 in 1976, Detroit well....Is Detroit

They have the saints (in Detroit) and Packers in GB(Detroit lost 48-25 in Detroit on 2nd week)

on a side note, one can see how preseason games don't mean squat... Detroit was 4-0
http://www.detroitlions.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=13&top=21&level=2

Wolf
12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
The Detroit Lions are just two losses away from becoming the first 0-16 team in NFL history, and they say the officials have contributed to their bad season.

Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press quotes several Lions as saying that while they don’t think the refs are out to get them, they do think the officials tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the good teams, and not to the teams like the Lions.

“I think when you’re losing, I guess you don’t get the calls,” said cornerback Leigh Bodden, whose questionable pass interference penalty was crucial in the team’s closest loss, 12-10 against the Vikings in October. “But when you’re winning, you get the calls.”

Lions left tackle Jeff Backus said he thinks the officials are subconsciously favoring the Lions’ opponents.

“Have we had a lot of plays where we maybe should have gotten calls? Probably,” Backus said. “But, I don’t know. I don’t think that it’s a conscious effort by the officials to screw us.”

Added Lions kicker Jason Hanson, “To me, it’s technically not fair. But it’s all sports. It seems like the best players get the benefit of the doubt; the best teams get it.”

Take it for what it is worth, it is profootballtalk.com
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

mattieuk
12-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I've had a small bet on the Lions winning tomorrow. At odds of 13/5 there is value to be had, and IMO the Saints game is the only chance of busting the '0' and saving some face.

Showtime100
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I didn't vote in the poll because when I saw this matchup I had thoughts. I mean they gave the Colts a run for it last week. The Colts can be had, but they (only) lost by 10. I wouldn't be surprised.

Giant Tiger
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I've had a small bet on the Lions winning tomorrow. At odds of 13/5 there is value to be had, and IMO the Saints game is the only chance of busting the '0' and saving some face.

Wasn't Tampa Bay's first ever win against the Saints? Is this just a coincidence? :thinking:

Wolf
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
now they got GB at GB for the last game

kastofsna
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
maybe facing a Packers team on a short week of rest is good for their chances. but i doubt it.

TimeKiller
12-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Ha! Toasting champaigne would be funny because it might show the Dolphins of old how dumb what they've been doing is.

Lions lose. I can't believe they have any fans left

kastofsna
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Ha! Toasting champaigne would be funny because it might show the Dolphins of old how dumb what they've been doing is.

yeah it is pretty dumb when old teammates get together to celebrate great memories of the past. screw those guys!

Mr teX
12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
at this point, i'd say it's a lock...they are terrible.

Texan_Bill
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah it is pretty dumb when old teammates get together to celebrate great memories of the past. screw those guys!

YUP!! That's what I say. Screw those old bittermen.

gwallaia
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
At least the Lions are losing in nice looking uniforms. The Bucs lost in those hideous pumpkin orange clown suits.

Hookem Horns
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
At least the Lions are losing in nice looking uniforms. The Bucs lost in those hideous pumpkin orange clown suits.

I was actually a fan of the Bucs when I was a kid because of those uniforms. I had a Doug Williams jersey. I loved those things.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/329076390_fc5d28daa2_o.jpg

ZX758
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
You can't hate on those undefeated Dolphins, nobody's done what they've done. For those Lions I feel really bad. I feel worse for Marinelli, having to deal with classless reporters asking “Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?”. That was pretty messed up

Texan_Bill
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I was actually a fan of the Bucs when I was a kid because of those uniforms. I had a Doug Williams jersey. I loved those things.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/329076390_fc5d28daa2_o.jpg

From Pumpkin Orange to Burnt Orange.... :rolleyes:

:jk:

TimeKiller
12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Celebrate great memories? I thought it was a toast to the last team losing a game to become "defeated" and not "undefeated"?

You can't hate on those undefeated Dolphins, nobody's done what they've done. For those Lions I feel really bad. I feel worse for Marinelli, having to deal with classless reporters asking “Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?”. That was pretty messed up

Yeah, that's messed up.

Hookem Horns
12-27-2008, 12:16 AM
ESPN story on this now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3794047

BattleRedToro
12-27-2008, 09:21 AM
The real challenge is not 0-16. It is 0-26. That's right the Tampa Bay Buccaneers went 0-26 before finally beating the New Orleans Saints. The Detroit Lions lost their last game in 2007, so they are currently on a 0-16 run. They need to lose this weekend and their first 10 games next year to beat the record of futility set by he Bucs.

Hookem Horns
12-28-2008, 12:39 AM
The real challenge is not 0-16. It is 0-26. That's right the Tampa Bay Buccaneers went 0-26 before finally beating the New Orleans Saints. The Detroit Lions lost their last game in 2007, so they are currently on a 0-16 run. They need to lose this weekend and their first 10 games next year to beat the record of futility set by he Bucs.

Everyone remembers how many games that expansion Bucs team lost however most forget that same Bucs team led by John McKay went to the NFC championship game in just it's 3rd season in existence. That's pretty impressive especially when you look how the Texans have done.

They had an awesome defense. Lee Roy Selmon, Dewie Selmon, Hugh Green, etc.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1981/12/12/001305205.jpg