PDA

View Full Version : Dunta ROBBED!

THEFUTURE
01-06-2005, 02:33 AM
I can't believe D-Rob didn't make the Pro Bowl. He is twice as deserving as any other CB that made it for the AFC.

Dunta Robinson
YEAR TEAM G GS TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2004 HOU 16 16 88 76 12 19 3.0 3 0 6 146 0

Chump Bailey
2004 DEN 16 16 81 72 9 12 0.0 0 0 3 0 0

Tory James
2004 CIN 16 16 63 60 3 13 0.0 2 1 8 66 0

Chris McAlister
2004 BAL 15 15 42 38 4 9 0.0 0 1 1 51 1

its absurd the type of players that can get in, when the ones that truly deserve it dont get in.

ThaShark316
01-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Am I the only person that thought this topic was about the Def. ROY and Dunta getting robbed by Vilma or something.

But yes,we know D-Rob is a pro bowler. :heh:

aj.
01-06-2005, 06:23 AM
And yes, get ready to be disappointed again when Vilma wins DROY.

Grid
01-06-2005, 06:49 AM
im gonna throw a hissy fit if Drob doesnt get the DROY. he deserves it more than Vilma.

Yah.. I know.. Vilma came in and became a team leader.. honestly, so what? You think he is responsible for the jets having a better defense this season? he may have contributed, but I garuntee he didnt come in and show those players how to play a better game. He came in and became a leader, but his stats are middle of the road.. he didnt turn any heads in the stats department. If he wins the DROY, its because he plays in new york.. that is all.

OzzO
01-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Player Team Ints Yds LG TDs FF Rec TDs Pdef Scks SFTY Cmb Tck Solo Ast
Jonathan Vilma NYJ 3 58 38 1 0 1 0 5 2 0 107 77.0 46 30
Dunta Robinson HOU 6 146 61 0 3 0 0 19 3 0 87 73.0 60 14

ThaShark... yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

hou059
01-06-2005, 09:54 AM
IMO Dunta is deserving of his first Pro-Bowl berth but I bet if he were to ask him, he wouldn't think he deserved it because of the result of the season. He ssems like a stand up kid that doesn't worry about personal awards. Vilma wins Defensive Rookie of the Year because of the year the Jets have had, plus he plays in NY, one the media capitols so more people here about him. Not to mention he stepped up big against the Rams and has done so through the season. Not saying Dunta hasn't so please don't take this thread there! Dunta will get his and make plenty of Pro-Bowls before his career is over. Hopefully, the Pro Bowl won't be the only Bowl that he goes to!

Doom Capers
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I can't believe D-Rob didn't make the Pro Bowl. He is twice as deserving as any other CB that made it for the AFC.

Dunta Robinson

Chump Bailey

Tory James

Chris McAlister

its absurd the type of players that can get in, when the ones that truly deserve it dont get in.

I agree, Dunta should be in the pro bowl. But you have to remember that these are shut down corners (except tory, he just had a good amount of picks). The reason their stats dont look as good as Dunta's is because that they have their receiver shut down and the QB cannot throw to them.

Blake
01-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I think Vilma deserves d-ROY just as much as Dunta. They both really shined this year.

hou059
01-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I will admit, Dunta made some huge plays down the stretch and really pulled a weakened secondary together. He has my vote! He really outshined the wiley veteran, Aaron Glen, IMO.

TEXANS84
01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
And yes, get ready to be disappointed again when Vilma wins DROY.

Vilma's interception against the Rams sealed it.

hou059
01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, that INT sealed and deleivered the ROY for Vilma...he was huge in that game. Not winning ROY takes nothing away from Robinson, he was the Defensive MVP this season for the Texans.

Grid
01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree, Dunta should be in the pro bowl. But you have to remember that these are shut down corners (except tory, he just had a good amount of picks). The reason their stats dont look as good as Dunta's is because that they have their receiver shut down and the QB cannot throw to them.

no.. there have been no shutdown corners this year. Champ has got burned SO many games this season.. and the others have too.

The reason Dunta's stats look better is because he is a better cover corner than any of those guys, and cover corners are more effective with the 5 yard rule in effect.

Also, Dunta is an amazing tackler for a CB, and plays with alot of fire. He actually wants to be known for his tackling ability, something you dont see too much in a CB.

Double Barrel
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, DR plays for a losing team and did not get the exposure (or respect) he deserves as a result.

Next year, though, watch out! He'll be Pro Bowl bound for sure.

TEXANS84
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Vilma splits Bruce Smith award on usatoday.com:

The Bruce Smith Award: Right off the bat, indecisiveness with a split decision for defensive rookie of the year. Half the award goes to New York Jets big-play linebacker Jonathan Vilma, the other half to Denver's tackling machine, D.J. Williams. Before hitting the big time, Vilma and Williams were roommates at the University of Miami. Symmetry always scores big with the voting panel.

THEFUTURE
01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
no.. there have been no shutdown corners this year. Champ has got burned SO many games this season.. and the others have too.

The reason Dunta's stats look better is because he is a better cover corner than any of those guys, and cover corners are more effective with the 5 yard rule in effect.

Also, Dunta is an amazing tackler for a CB, and plays with alot of fire. He actually wants to be known for his tackling ability, something you dont see too much in a CB.

I agree, corners like champ got away last year with man handling receivers, now that the rules have changed his production has slipped.

Dunta on the other hand played the position right. Teams constantly were testing Dunta, sure he made some rookie mistakes, but overrall he was amazing. Not only should he have made the pro bowl, but he should take DROY

Huge
01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
The recognition will come.

Just be content that you don't have to play against him.

Vinny
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
The recognition will come.

Just be content that you don't have to play against him.I want to take the time to thank the JacksonVILE Jaguars for passing on him one pick in front of us when they were in need of a CB. They wanted a larger more physical corner. :heh:

TexansTrueFan
01-06-2005, 02:38 PM
so what if he dont get DROY, we all know how good he is, and so does he, the rest of the world will see come next season !

texan279
01-06-2005, 03:52 PM
I want to take the time to thank the JacksonVILE Jaguars for passing on him one pick in front of us when they were in need of a CB. They wanted a larger more physical corner.

You got that right, and the guy they did pick in front of us did nothing this season.

Sarg01
01-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I want to take the time to thank the JacksonVILE Jaguars for passing on him one pick in front of us when they were in need of a CB. They wanted a larger more physical corner. :heh:

... and instead spending a top 10 pick on a guy who was rated distant fourth (at best) WR in the draft class until Mike Williams got lawyered out.

TexansCanes
01-07-2005, 02:09 AM
I agree, corners like champ got away last year with man handling receivers, now that the rules have changed his production has slipped.

Dunta on the other hand played the position right. Teams constantly were testing Dunta, sure he made some rookie mistakes, but overrall he was amazing. Not only should he have made the pro bowl, but he should take DROY

good point, champ had to change the way he played corner and is still learning how the new rules work. dunta didn't play last year so the new rules didn't have any effect on the way he plays corner. he learned with the new rules right off the bat, that will help him greatly in the future.

hopefully dunta will win the rookie of the year but i wouldn't be suprised or bummed if he didn't. he played great but vilma had a good year. if someone else won it than i might get a little upset.

kuno
01-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Vilma is deserving of the DROY award and he will get it.

There are no shutdown corners in the NFL anymore.

As far as the Jag's not taking Dunta, it had nothing to do with his skill level. Del Rio is looking for people to fit what he wants to do. Dunta may have been terrible in our scheme. Del Rio knows what he is doing on defense.

rittenhouserobz
01-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Vilma is deserving of the DROY award and he will get it.

There are no shutdown corners in the NFL anymore.

As far as the Jag's not taking Dunta, it had nothing to do with his skill level. Del Rio is looking for people to fit what he wants to do. Dunta may have been terrible in our scheme. Del Rio knows what he is doing on defense.

Those goods are not selling here. Del Rio wishes he had a fiery CB that can tackle like DRob. Maybe you should go to his show and ask the question. I am sure you would be surprised by the answer.

Bayern
01-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Absolutely robbed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1961442

Jonathan Vilma brought exactly what the New York Jets needed on defense with a performance so brilliant he won The Associated Press 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Look I'm sorry, Vilma had a great year too, but he definitely is not as valuable an asset as Dunta was this year. I would take Dunta in a heartbeat if I had the choice between the two.

Jonathan
01-07-2005, 08:31 AM
No one was robbed. Both guys deserved the award. I'm sure being a key contributor to a playoff team helped Vilma.

Grid
01-07-2005, 08:41 AM
No.. Dunta was robbed. First he doesnt make the probowl.. not even as an alternate. Then some fool with AVERAGE ILB stats steals the DROY from him.. while he is sitting back as the best CB of the season.

its a freakin travesty.

Doug
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
No one was robbed. Both guys deserved the award. I'm sure being a key contributor to a playoff team helped Vilma.
Most definitely.

Bayern
01-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I like Vilma too, and he had an incredible season. But I agree with Grid, first the pro bowl (which by all accounts he shouldn't just go but should START there), and now the DROY to a guy who has put up pretty good numbers, but not the best on a very talented Jets team.

Maybe I'm looking at D-Rob as more of an mvp of our defense but the impact he had on our defense was much better than Vilma's impact in New York. IMO.
I dunno.... maybe its as simple as one plays in New York for a playoff bound team and gets seen by the national media and the other one plays in Houston for a 3 year franchise with a losing season. Don't ask me what that has to do with determining who played the best defense this year.

El Tejano
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Good can still come from this. Maybe because of this, Dunta will be hungier and not have a sophmore jinx next year and because of that, maybe he will be the better long term pro.

Doug
01-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Well Grid is saying average and you're saying pretty good so you don't agree with him completely I'm assuming. Do I think DRob should've gotten it...Yes I do but to say Vilma didn't deserve it isn't right. As far as the pro bowl, it's always been rediculous who they choose to go. IMO, Sharper should 've been there last year and this year as well as DRob especially when you compare them to the other people chosen to go. But that's the way things fall.

Grid
01-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Dunta should have gotten it, which means Vilma doesnt deserve it.

TexansTrueFan
01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
maybe dunta will use this as inspiration for next season ! We all know he deserved the award. Football is more political than some people know !

Doug
01-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey I am still a Texans fan and a partial homer on top of it but just because you want someone to recieve something doesn't make other people less deserving.

Doug
01-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Dunta should have gotten it, which means Vilma doesnt deserve it.
So if you and TTFan were both kicka** football players but I chose TTFan over you for whatever reason that means you weren't as deserving? Sounds like you need to rethink your philosophy.

Grid
01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
you dont seem to be understanding what im saying. Dunta is the biggest rookie standout on defense.. therefore he is the guy who deserved the DROY. Since Vilma got it, he doesnt deserve it.. because Dunta deserves it. you see what im saying? Im not saying Vilma sucks.. im not saying hes a bad player.. im saying Dunta deserved the award, not him. its that simple.

TexansTrueFan
01-07-2005, 09:19 AM
you dont seem to be understanding what im saying. Dunta is the biggest rookie standout on defense.. therefore he is the guy who deserved the DROY. Since Vilma got it, he doesnt deserve it.. because Dunta deserves it. you see what im saying? Im not saying Vilma sucks.. im not saying hes a bad player.. im saying Dunta deserved the award, not him. its that simple.

dont worry Grid i agree with you !!!!

Doug
01-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Ya, you don't like Vilma....LOL j/k
To each his own.

TEXANS84
01-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Unfortunatley at work..espn.com is blocked.
So it is for sure that Vilma won the award? I thought it wasn't announced until this afternoon.

Grid
01-07-2005, 10:01 AM
yah its for sure. Vilma got 21 votes, Dunta got 12

texasguy346
01-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Dunta definately got robbed, but it definately wasn't the first time that a Texans' player was robbed and it certainly won't be the last either. Until our players are put out into the national spotlight more we can expect more of the same type situations. The only way we'll get into the national spotlight is by beginning to win consistently. If we get 10 wins next season I can gurantee there will be talking heads amazed at how Dunta was able to be hidden from the national media last year or how they'd always known Dunta was the true DROY last season, and on and on. More team success will mean more individual awards. With all that being said it still never gets easier to see one of our very good players getting robbed yet again.

Doom Capers
01-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I still think he deserved to be number one although Vilma did deserve the award. That kid is a beast.

TheTim5125
01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Not gonna lie... i'm a lil upset

F-minus67
01-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't know if anyone reported this but Vilma won defensive rookie of the year.

TexansFight
01-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Dunta got screwed. f the East coast media

Let's compare the stats:

-As a linebacker, Vilma has 105 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble.
-As a corner, Robinson has 85 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

jagsfanincanada
01-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Dunta got screwed. f the East coast media

Let's compare the stats:

-As a linebacker, Vilma has 105 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble.
-As a corner, Robinson has 85 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

If you want to quote stats, anyone that supports Vilma can say his defense finished as one of the NFL's best, and Dunta's finished as one of the worst.

infantrycak
01-07-2005, 02:35 PM
If you want to quote stats, anyone that supports Vilma can say his defense finished as one of the NFL's best, and Dunta's finished as one of the worst.

And that would be a great argument if it wasn't an individual selection/honor.

I don't think Dunta got screwed, both he and Vilma played great for rookies and arguments can be made for either.

Grid
01-07-2005, 02:35 PM
ya know.. Ive never understood the logic in that arguement. Barry Sanders played on one of the worse teams for his whole career.. does that make him any less of a player?

Youngstown Colt
01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
If this is already posted somewhere else, you can merge this if you have to. But I'm sorry to hear that Dunta got robbed for DROY. Ever since I got over his comments after the first colts win, I realized how good of a player he is and how much he deserved that award.

You can never stop the NY media machine tho.

DuntaRobinson23
01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
lol a Corner has more sacks than a MLB. But if Bulger was any good he wouldnt of thrown a pass right to Vilma :hairpull:

Youngstown Colt
01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
lol a Corner has more sacks than a MLB. But if Bulger was any good he wouldnt of thrown a pass right to Vilma :hairpull:well he didn't, it got tipped. It was actually a nice INT

Panther5407
01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
What? how could this happen. You look at the style of play and Dunta is far the best. I can't believe this.

jacquescas
01-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Vilma had a return for a touchdown, playing in NY city, and on a playoff team.

All those things will factor in. Just cause D-Rob didn't win, doesn't make him any less of a player than he was, and it doesn't make Vilma any better, its just some hardware that will go on a mantle.

ledzeppelin229
01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
The fact that Dunta played on a crappy *** defense should have helped his case even more.

We had no pass rush, Foreman is barely a starter, Babin was learning on the fly, we had a rookie SS and our offense had very little ability to keep our defense off the field.

I'm not saying Vilma wasn't deserving, but flip the teams Dunta and Vilma play for and Dunta wins the award hands down, Vilma wouldn't even be a consideration IMO.

ledzeppelin229
01-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Of course how could we expect DROY when he wasn't even nominated for Rookie of the week when he had 2 ints against the Raiders and ran one back 61 yards (almost had the TD if he didn't fall down making the catch and then used all his energy juking people out as he zig zagged across the field)

Dime
01-07-2005, 05:38 PM
DROB got second.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8077268

Sniff... very sad

Thanks for moving... didnt see this at first look.

infantrycak
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
DROB got second.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8077268

Sniff... very sad

But he got 4 times the votes Sean Taylor did.

Grid
01-07-2005, 05:42 PM
bleh.. the fact that anyone other than Vilma and Dunta got votes makes me wonder about the integrity of the voters. Maybe Williams deserves some. BLEH.. its just a bunch of bull. Dunta deserved this award, hands down.

JacksonvilleJaguar4
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM

Dunta Robinson

Chump Bailey

Tory James

Chris McAlister

I do agree this dosen't matter to you guys but I thought John Henderson should have went to Hawii, I think it's just a popularity contest sometimes..... :hairpull:

DoCt3rJ
01-07-2005, 06:20 PM
That is all the pro bowl is. A popularity contest. I don't mean to be harsh on Vick, but he diden't deserve a pro bowl invite. Yea he makes amazing plays and ran for over 900 yards. His overall stats weren't great, and he ain't gonna win a superbowl, ever. Hes gonna have to pass his way to the superbowl, and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I think too many people are on the Vick bandwagon just because he makes those fancy runs and throws like a 110 mph fast ball. I don't mean to say this but, I'd rather have alot of QB's over him.

Anyways back to the point, pro-bowl doesen't necessarily mean you had the best year. It just means you stood out, or your a real popular player.

Vinny
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
The All Pro team is the prestigious and coveted award. You will see guys labeled as "Pro Bowlers" and then you will see guys named "All Pro". Being named to the All pro team is by far the higher esteem selection. The Pro Bowlers are pretty much the football version of the Miss America pageant contestants.

texan279
01-07-2005, 07:01 PM
But he got 4 times the votes Sean Taylor did.

That makes me feel a little better about the situation. :BananaWav

BuffSoldier
01-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I looked on NFL.com and saw that we could now vote for ROY and to my suprise and anger I come to find out that Dunta Robinson isnt even nominated. What an outrage, we should complain to the league.

ROY Ballot (http://www.superbowl.com/rookies/vote)

ledzeppelin229
01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I looked on NFL.com and saw that we could now vote for ROY and to my suprise and anger I come to find out that Dunta Robinson isnt even nominated. What an outrage, we should complain to the league.

ROY Ballot (http://www.superbowl.com/rookies/vote)

It's because he was only nominated for RotW once (which is a joke as well)

Of course, I don't know why everyone is so upset, we all saw this coming 1000 miles away so there's no reason to act surprised when it finally hits us in the face.

TexansCanes
01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
The fact that Dunta played on a crappy *** defense should have helped his case even more.

it worked against him. i know this is an individual award but in general defense is a team effort, and the fact that our defense isn't regareded as that good hurt him. while for jon, new york's defense was bad. because is was in new york it got a lot of pub, so when he comes in and has a big part in the turn around, people take notice. if the players switch teams then i think dunta wins it and we are mad that jon didn't.

all-pro is valued more because it isn't the same popularity contest as the pro bowl is. the media votes instead of the fans. also fewer players make it.

McNabb5
01-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Dunta had a great season and he should have gotten DROY. Just wanted to say whats up to everyone and you will be seeing a lot more of me as time goes on.

aj.
01-08-2005, 07:08 AM
"Next time I'll just pull away from everybody" (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/2983083)

BuffSoldier
01-08-2005, 02:56 PM
"Next time I'll just pull away from everybody" (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/2983083)

I think that he handled that the best way possible, and I love his attitude, he sais if this wasnt enogh he'll just do more.

Supertex
01-08-2005, 03:07 PM
it worked against him. i know this is an individual award but in general defense is a team effort, and the fact that our defense isn't regareded as that good hurt him. while for jon, new york's defense was bad. because is was in new york it got a lot of pub, so when he comes in and has a big part in the turn around, people take notice. if the players switch teams then i think dunta wins it and we are mad that jon didn't.

all-pro is valued more because it isn't the same popularity contest as the pro bowl is. the media votes instead of the fans. also fewer players make it.

(Well said.) He explained it all. Its because we do not get as much notice. I bet you ask alot of the northeners and they probably dont know who Dunta is. Its the way things are. If your not on ESPN every other day then your chances suck because most people only like the ones that they *hear about* I bet half the damn people who voted for probowlers dont even know what team there pick plays for. Its all in Hearsay.

J_E_T_SJetsJetsJets
01-08-2005, 04:28 PM
If you honestly think that Vilma deserved it less than Dunta, you're nuts. Vilma was not only a tackling machine, he made big plays when we needed it. He was the defensive captain, as a rookie, on one of the top 10 defenses in the NFL.

jags98
01-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Dunta Robinson made huge plays when they needed it. Hint the INTS.

J_E_T_SJetsJetsJets
01-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I didn't say he didn't. But so did Vilma.

THEFUTURE
01-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Dunta has better stats in every category other than tackles, get real man, Dunta should have been and its obvious

ThaShark316
01-08-2005, 04:32 PM
East Coast bias STILL exists.

Mistril48
01-08-2005, 04:32 PM
all-pro is valued more because it isn't the same popularity contest as the pro bowl is. the media votes instead of the fans. also fewer players make it.I trust the fans to vote as much as the media, in other words, not at all. The media is seduced and manipulated by the NY and LA markets routinely.

J_E_T_SJetsJetsJets
01-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Please... East coast bias? If anything, the media HATES the Jets, loves the Giants. Last time I checked, we aren't the Giants, or New England, or the media-loved Buffalo. Stats are a factor, but so is LEADERSHIP and the importance of the player. If Cowart HADN'T gone down and Vilma came in, I doubt we'd be in the playoffs.

THEFUTURE
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
If anything, the big reason you are in the playoffs in Curtis Martin, and not Vilma

J_E_T_SJetsJetsJets
01-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but our D's 6 or 7 second-half shutouts were important, too.

Grid
01-08-2005, 04:48 PM
yah well our defense had the longest streak without allowing a touchdown this season :P. we played against the Packers, Vikings, and Colts(twice).. thats 3 of the top 5 passing teams in the league.

Bottom line is.. Dunta is on an expansion team with a losing record, in a secondary with deceivingly bad stats. Despite the fact that he dominated for 2/3 of the season.. has the best stats of any rookie this year.. and made a huge difference in many games, and quite probably WON two of them for us (Bears and Jaguars the second time).. it was still givin to an ILB with middle of the pack stats, whos biggest claim to fame is he didnt screw up, and he made good calls on the line. Whoopty doo.. he did his job.. it should have gone to the playmaker, not the guy who did what he was supposed to do.

And whether you are disliked in new york or not, you still get buttloads of media coverage. Ive heard Vilma and Martin and Pennington all year.. they didnt say anything about Dunta till the end of the season when he was playing so good they HAD to comment on it.

THEFUTURE
01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
are you saying that vilma is soley responsible for every single shutout, c'mon, the reason you were able to shut out so many teams, is cuz u could run out most of the clock, did vilma make a few tackles sure..but he was not the sole reason for shutting out teams... if the texans and jets had same record, and same exposure...Dunta would have ran away with the award

THEFUTURE
01-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Robinson
G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty
16 76 12 88 3.0 26 6 146 0 0 3 19 0

Vilma
16 82 26 108 2.0 13 3 58 1 1 0 5 0

these stats say everything, robinson has better stats, except tackles...dunta played better, there is no way around it

:monkey:

trijcomm
01-08-2005, 11:28 PM
If anybody saw the reaction of Robinson in the paper on Saturday, they should be concerned. As far as Robinson goes, it was all about him and nothing about the team. He could have said something like, "Well, this is all about the team. It's a team game." But instead, he was griping and complaining about how HE didn't get what should have been coming to HIM. He didn't mention the team one time. All he did was cry about how HE was screwed. Well, earth to Robinson -- Vilma helped his team make the playoffs. You didn't. Nobody is saying Robinson wasn't very good. But Vilma was a worthy winner. I get tired of these athletes always crying about themselves and nothing about the team. Same thing in regards to Shaun Alexander griping about not winning the rushing title instead of realizing that a QB sneak was a legit call at that point of the game when his team was trying to get into the playoffs.

ledzeppelin229
01-08-2005, 11:33 PM
And he also said he was going to bust *** to be even better next year. So he told the truth, I don't really think that's a big deal as long as he responds positively next season.

Grid
01-08-2005, 11:33 PM
If anybody saw the reaction of Robinson in the paper on Saturday, they should be concerned. As far as Robinson goes, it was all about him and nothing about the team. He could have said something like, "Well, this is all about the team. It's a team game." But instead, he was griping and complaining about how HE didn't get what should have been coming to HIM. He didn't mention the team one time. All he did was cry about how HE was screwed. Well, earth to Robinson -- Vilma helped his team make the playoffs. You didn't. Nobody is saying Robinson wasn't very good. But Vilma was a worthy winner. I get tired of these athletes always crying about themselves and nothing about the team. Same thing in regards to Shaun Alexander griping about not winning the rushing title instead of realizing that a QB sneak was a legit call at that point of the game when his team was trying to get into the playoffs.

:listening

trijcomm
01-08-2005, 11:48 PM
And he also said he was going to bust *** to be even better next year. So he told the truth, I don't really think that's a big deal as long as he responds positively next season.

Yeah, he said that so he could get the individual awards -- not to help the team. You may say that if he is inspired then it will help the team. Maybe. But he's still just another selfish ballplayer -- something that will eventually bite the team in the butt. Remember Steve Francis and his Super Bowl party? Remember his partying? See how it affected him on the court? When I see this selfish attitude, alarm bells go off.

Vinny
01-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Are you just a troll or do you argue everything down to ridiculous levels all the time? All you have done so far is dog the fans for wanting to win and now you are finding something to dog DR about. Now Dunta is selfish because he is interviewed about a personal award? Just click on your name and search your posts. All of them have the same theme.

trijcomm
01-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Are you just a troll or do you argue everything down to ridiculous levels all the time? All you have done so far is dog the fans for wanting to win and now you are finding something to dog DR about. Now Dunta is selfish because he is interviewed about a personal award? Just click on your name and search your posts. All of them have the same theme.

The "theme" is being real. Sounds like you're a member of the cheerleading team! As for DR, read the story yourself. To be honest, I could care less about DR's personal ambitions. All I care about is what he can do for the Texans because as soon as he goes to another team, I'll be booing him like heck along with 70,000 other folks when he comes to Reliant. I'm no DR fan. I'm a Texan fan. And if he's only out for himself. I really could care less if he gets awards or not.

TexansCanes
01-09-2005, 12:17 AM
trust the fans to vote as much as the media, in other words, not at all. The media is seduced and manipulated by the NY and LA markets routinely.

i know they are (champ made all-pro) but i was saying that it isn't as bad as the fans are. i'm sure everyone on here that voted had as many texans on their ballot as they thought were worthy. think of it like baseball, when you go to an astros game all you hear is vote for your astros to be in the all-star game. so you vote for the usual guys but when a position that has some doubt, you just vote for the hometown guy. the pro bowl is the same way but to a lesser extent because the voting is only done online.

Vinny
01-09-2005, 12:41 AM
The "theme" is being real. Sounds like you're a member of the cheerleading team! As for DR, read the story yourself. To be honest, I could care less about DR's personal ambitions. All I care about is what he can do for the Texans because as soon as he goes to another team, I'll be booing him like heck along with 70,000 other folks when he comes to Reliant. I'm no DR fan. I'm a Texan fan. And if he's only out for himself. I really could care less if he gets awards or not.I'm not big on individual player rah-rah. You can just read my posts and figure that out. Why worry about Dunta moving to another team when he just signed a long term contract? It seems you argue just to argue (hallmark of trolling).

IF, he is only out for himself it will show, and frankly its a massive non-issue since he has played 16 games and has been a rock. So far, he has been gold on the field so what's the problem? None, just someone fabricating inuendo and gossip about how he is selfish.

Here are Dunta's two quotes from that article:

"I dont want to give people any doubts in the future," Robinson said. "When votes come up (for different awards), if I have to have a spectacular season and do something no other corner has ever done, that's something I'll do. Obviously, what happened today, I don't know what people watch or how they vote. I dont think it was right. Next time I'll just pull away from everybody."

"I don't like the way things went down," Robinson said. "I feel like this is the second time this year that this is something I should have received and didn't. To me, it's all motivation to play harder next year."

beerlover
01-09-2005, 12:49 AM
another excellent post Vinny, right on. screw the individual rewards people, football is a team game, championships are what its all about. lets focus on that :howdy:

trijcomm
01-09-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm not big on individual player rah-rah. You can just read my posts and figure that out. Why worry about Dunta moving to another team when he just signed a long term contract? It seems you argue just to argue (hallmark of trolling).

IF, he is only out for himself it will show, and frankly its a massive non-issue since he has played 16 games and has been a rock. So far, he has been gold on the field so what's the problem? None, just someone fabricating inuendo and gossip about how he is selfish.

Read the story. Robinson gritched and gritched about how HE was done wrong, how HE deserved the awards, how he was going to do better so HE would get more accolades and glory. He said nothing about "The Team" and what he was going to do to help it. Quite frankly, "The Team" is all I care about and it's all HE should care about. Vilma was a deserving player of that honor, as were the folks who made the Pro Bowl. But did he say that? NOOO! He complained and said how he was done wrong and how he didn't like the way "things went down." It was all about what he "should have received and didn't." He said nothing about "The Team." Players with this kind of attitude ultimately become nothing but trouble. They are the ones who demand the team renegotiate their contracts because they "aren't being treated fairly" and point the finger at everyone else when something goes wrong. Incidentally, he didn't look all that great when he fell down and cost "The Team" the opening game vs. SD, did he? This guy had better change his attitude real, real quick or else he'll become nothing but a headache to "The Team" due to his selfish attitude. He's following in the footsteps of Keenan McCardell, Terrell Owens and Shawn Alexander. If you want to pull out the ponpoms and your black hotpants and prance onto the field and defend the selfish attitude of a player just because he's a Texan, go right ahead. We'll see how you feel when he holds out because he doesn't feel he's being treated "right."

Goldeagle
01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Our guy got robbed!! Oh well, The way I take Duante he seems to want to earn awards and play hard, and this will just motivate him even more next year to show all the ***** media and voters tha the was the best rookie Defensive player this year!

fresno8
01-12-2005, 01:22 AM
"I don't like the way things went down," Robinson said. "I feel like this is the second time this year that this is something I should have received and didn't. To me, it's all motivation to play harder next year."

It's not the biggest deal in the world that he said that. If he does better next year so will the Texans and our D. Lets hope he keeps wanting to take his game to a higher level. If he had gotten burned on a play that had cost us a trip to the playoffs and said what he said about the award thing then I would have been mad, but that didn't happen. He deserved an indivisual award and didn't get it so he's a little pissed. Lets hope he has a chip on his shoulder next year for his team and himself. His play and attitude only helped the ball club.

rittenhouserobz
01-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I think the saddest part of this whole situation is that it comes down to the market he plays in. If DRob plays for the Giants, then he gets DROY. I can't wait to see him pick off Eli when we play the Giants in a couple years. Hopefully it will be in Houston.

trijcomm
01-12-2005, 12:52 PM
He deserved an indivisual award and didn't get it so he's a little pissed. Lets hope he has a chip on his shoulder next year for his team and himself. His play and attitude only helped the ball club.

The award went to a deserving individual. DR was deserving as well, but to claim that he deserved it and the other guy didn't is kind of immature. Maybe he needs to look at the film of the SD game where he slipped and fell down, allowing a costly TD in the loss to the Chargers. Maybe that will give him a little humility -- which goes a long way. As far as selfish attitudes go, they are never helpful in a team game.

Vinny
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Jonathan Vilma brought exactly what the New York Jets needed on defense with a performance so brilliant he won The Associated Press 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Vilma, the 12th pick in last year's draft, did it with the speed and exuberance that convinced New York to make him the first linebacker chosen. A terror at the University of Miami, Vilma moved into the starting lineup in Game 3 and led a defensive revival that lifted the Jets (10-6) into the playoffs.

Vilma scored on a 38-yard interception return in New York's season finale, giving the Jets a lead they couldn't protect. He was the first Jets rookie to return an interception for a TD since safety Erik McMillan in 1988. McMillan also was Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Vilma had six tackles in that game, giving him 116 for the season. He had two sacks, three interceptions, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
Houston cornerback Dunta Robinson was second with 12 votes, followed by Denver linebacker D.J. Williams with seven and Washington safety Sean Taylor with three. Williams and Taylor also played at Miami.

Robinson, a starter all season at right cornerback, led the Texans and all NFL rookies with six interceptions, adding 85 tackles, three sacks, three forced fumbles and 19 passes defensed. The Texans selected Robinson out of South Carolina with the 10th overall pick of the draft.

Houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1492)

trijcomm
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I think 85 tackles is a lot of tackles to make as a CB -- meaning a lot of RBs were breaking through "The Team's" first line of defense as well as the second line (LBs). I believe the goal would be for DR to actually make fewer tackles in the long run. Also, his 6 INTs could partially be explained by the fact that opposing QBs were targeting the rookie CB -- as they do all rookies in the secondary. Thus, he got more opportunities to make the picks as well as defense passes. If stats mean anything -- and in most cases they don't -- I think that DR's numbers probably point out that he was one of the, if not THE, best rookie CBs in the league since all rookies get picked on in the secondary and DR was able to respond better than most.

gr8slayer
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Wow, what a crock.

infantrycak
01-12-2005, 09:01 PM
OK folks did Dunta have a legitimate argument for DROY?--absolutely. But so did Vilma. His D went from 21st to 7th this year and he was the stand out addition to the D. Both Vilma and Dunta had fantastic rookie seasons. Dunta didn't get robbed, he got edged out. Could easily have been the opposite say if Dunta's 2 INT game had been the last of the season instead of Vilma getting a game breaking INT in his last game. No reason to not recognize both as great additions to the league.

HJam72
01-12-2005, 09:04 PM
When Dunta has a SB ring and Vilma doesn't, we'll see who gets the last laugh, but it's not gonna be next year.

TexansCanes
01-12-2005, 10:59 PM
When Dunta has a SB ring and Vilma doesn't, we'll see who gets the last laugh, but it's not gonna be next year.

i think we can hold back that statement for a little while. because right now they are in a better situation to get one than we are.

TheTim5125
01-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Cornerback Nate Clements has been added to the AFC roster for the Pro Bowl, marking the first time since 1993 (Nate Odomes) that the Bills will have a cornerback on the Pro Bowl roster. Clements emerged as one of the top shutdown cornerbacks in the NFL in 2004, tying his career-high with six interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. His six interceptions also tied him for the second most in the NFL among cornerbacks and he finished the season tied for fifth on the Bills with 87 tackles.

that was on BuffaloBIlls.com....

I really think that DROB should have been the alternate

F-minus67
01-28-2005, 10:57 PM
thats what happens when you are a rookie.

BuffSoldier
01-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I really hate how people treat the rooks. Just because its their first season doenst mean that they arent Pro-Bowl worthy, just look at Big Ben and DROB.

TEXANS84
01-29-2005, 09:25 AM
If you look at the thread started in the NFL section about McAlister, Nate Clements isn't that bad compared to Surtain who was originally supposed to take his spot.

TheTim5125
01-29-2005, 12:17 PM
the thing about that is DROB had better numbers and played pretty well and is deserving of going...

Wolf
01-29-2005, 02:55 PM
on a side note..congrats to D-rob

January 19: Pro Football Weekly named cornerback Dunta Robinson its 2004 Defensive Rookie of the Year on Tuesday. In addition to the editors at PFW, voters included members of the Pro Football Writers of America. Robinson led all rookies with six interceptions, and was second to Jets LB Jonathan Vilma in the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year balloting last week.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/news.html

El Tejano
01-31-2005, 11:45 AM
The thing that really ticks me off is how they get a replacement for Chris Mcallister, then that replacement can't go so they go and get, another guy other than Robinson after the year Robinson had.

Wolf
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
a follow up and didn't want to start a new thread about it ( know there was a thread about it,but haven 't found it and obviously didn't find it)

*edit*
and I just put it in the wrong thread (without reading other than the title) lol

RICHMOND, Texas (AP) — A 25-year prison term has been ordered for a man over a 2007 robbery at the Houston-area home of Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson.

Prosecutors in Fort Bend County say Roderick Darnell Johnson on Tuesday pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery.

Investigators say Robinson was held at gunpoint during the September 2007 robbery at his residence in Missouri City. Cash and jewelry were stolen.

Authorities say Johnson's cousin, Terrence Johnson, earlier pleaded guilty to robbery in the case and is serving a 25-year prison term.

Robinson, who is an unrestricted free agent, declined comment on the criminal case.

Ryan
02-13-2010, 12:07 PM
this thread brought the lolz to me.

Texan_Bill
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Dunta robbed alright. He robbed the Texans of nearly $10 million. :kitten:

kiwitexansfan
02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Dunta robbed alright. He robbed the Texans of nearly $10 million. :kitten:

Exactly when I saw the thread title I thought, what goes around comes around.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Man, I thought I was harsh. Dunta wasn't worth the coin he was paid out, but other than possibly losing a step, he still had a decent season. Yes, he acted immature over contract issues, but I'd still like him to stay. That said, what ever happens, happens. If he hasn't changed like he said he has then I definitely wouldn't care if he left.

StarStruck
02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Man, I thought I was harsh. Dunta wasn't worth the coin he was paid out, but other than possibly losing a step, he still had a decent season. Yes, he acted immature over contract issues, but I'd still like him to stay. That said, what ever happens, happens. If he hasn't changed like he said he has then I definitely wouldn't care if he left.

At this point I feel if he stays ok, and if he leaves ok. The team will go on either way.

I consider a robbery what it is. I don't care if Donta is in contract negotiations or not, love him or hate him, the man was robbed in his own house at gun point. I have zero sympathy for the robber or the time he received. If he is release in twelve or so years, perhaps he will be less motivated to rob another person than he would if he had gotten five years and back on the street in two.