PDA

View Full Version : Finnegan fined $25,000 for hit on Schaub

GlassHalfFull
12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Titans Pro Bowl cornerback Cortland Finnegan has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for two hard hits on Houston quarterback Matt Schaub last weekend.

Finnegan was sanctioned Thursday for a helmet-to-helmet hit and an unnecessary roughness penalty for spearing Schaub on the same series during Tennessee’s 13-12 loss to the Texans on Sunday.

Finnegan is tied for second in the NFL with five interceptions.

Finnegan was selected to his first Pro Bowl this week and is known for his aggressive play, but Titans coach Jeff Fisher defended his cornerback saying that both calls were questionable.

Finnegan told The Tennessean he planned to appeal the fine.

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6172209.html)

alphajoker
12-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Geez, what is there to appeal? Those hits were obvious attempts to injure Schaub and OD.

ObsiWan
12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Appeal!?
Hah!

Now the OD hit was technically spearing but, in reality, did no damage. The Schaub hit should have cost him more money. He was definitely trying to take Matt out of the game.

Mailman
12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
OMFG questionable?

Are you kidding me Fisher?

Showtime100
12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Unfreakingbelievable. They should make it a double or nothing deal on appeals. You win appeal, you don't owe, you lose, 50 G's.

How about a fine on Fisher for questioning the officiating.

Big Lou
12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I assume that the fines go to charity via the NFL.

If that is the case Schaub should get some kind of humanitarian award for all the money the NFL has raised on his behalf!!!!!

False Start
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I've always had respect for Fischer, now not so much. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just have a different opinion of him. The hit to Schaub was a no doubter, the one on OD was a late hit. He got mad that he was getting schooled, and he let it get the best of him.

eriadoc
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
According to this link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=7964), Finnegan's salary is $6.6M. That mes the $25000 fine come out at 0.37% of his salary, or the equivalent of a $189 fine for someone who makes $50k/year (except for the whole scalability factor, which means they don't equate).

So what about that is supposed to act as a deterrent? That fine is smaller, percentage-wise, than Jared Allen's.

ObsiWan
12-18-2008, 11:20 PM
According to this link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=7964), Finnegan's salary is $6.6M. That mes the $25000 fine come out at 0.37% of his salary, or the equivalent of a $189 fine for someone who makes $50k/year (except for the whole scalability factor, which means they don't equate).

So what about that is supposed to act as a deterrent? That fine is smaller, percentage-wise, than Jared Allen's.

while it wouldn't break me, the threat of a $189 fine keeps me from running stop signs.
:)
for the record, I thought his fine should have been $50K

toronto
12-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm still surprised he didn't get dinged for the dumbass spear on Daniels. That was flatout cheap.

Vinny
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM

how is that possible? $6.6 mil for a 7th round draft pick? He was just drafted in 2006.

TexanSam
12-18-2008, 11:45 PM
how is that possible? $6.6 mil for a 7th round draft pick? He was just drafted in 2006.

They must have renegotiated a new contract really quickly

DiehardChris
12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Titans Pro Bowl cornerback Cortland Finnegan has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for two hard hits on Houston quarterback Matt Schaub last weekend.

What was the second hit on Schaub? Is the article just wrong?

Ryan
12-19-2008, 12:16 AM
It's almost safe to say Matt Schaub is very unliked in the NFL.

Vinny
12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
It's almost safe to say Matt Schaub is very unliked in the NFL.I wouldn't say he is 'unliked' as much as perhaps word of mouth around the league may have implied that if you get physical with him he would cave in. It's like in nature....you don't see the lions attack the biggest and strongest herd animals, they attack the weak, crippled, the old and the young.

Honoring Earl 34
12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't say he is 'unliked' as much as perhaps word of mouth around the league may have implied that if you get physical with him he would cave in. It's like in nature....you don't see the lions attack the biggest and strongest herd animals, they attack the weak, crippled, the old and the young.

Your not talking football here right ? Cause the lions don't attack anything .

GP
12-19-2008, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't say he is 'unliked' as much as perhaps word of mouth around the league may have implied that if you get physical with him he would cave in. It's like in nature....you don't see the lions attack the biggest and strongest herd animals, they attack the weak, crippled, the old and the young.

See, if I say that...I am a hater.

You say that...and people go "Hmmmm....."

Schaub, somehow, has beat the heat in the past two games. When he doesn't beat the heat, the tactic of trying to maim Schaub can pay huge dividends for a defense.

It is 100% the defensive strategy against Schaub by the Titans. They were oblivious to the idea of getting flagged for it. They took the chance, weighed the odds of getting flagged or even ejected, and still kept trying to hurt our guys. It wasn't until the spearing of OD, and the quick flag it drew from the refs, that they finally got the hint that they were being watched closely.

About freaking time.

Marcus
12-19-2008, 12:55 AM

Which is why they ought to have one-game suspensions without pay. See if THAT might be a deterrent?

He lost his temper because he was getting his head handed to him by AJ, so he gets chosen to go to the Pro Bowl. Go figure.

:crazy:

eriadoc
12-19-2008, 01:08 AM
I really think they ought to change the fine structure to be a set percentage of pay, or a minimum fine, whichever is larger. That would serve as a real deterrent.
while it wouldn't break me, the threat of a $189 fine keeps me from running stop signs.
Maybe. But if you knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that you'd never get broadsided by another vehicle, the chance of getting away with it might outweigh the consequences. These guys have a chance to knock out a QB and win the game, when the downside is a very small fine. It's not even close to equitable.

eriadoc
12-19-2008, 01:09 AM

I don't know. I just pulled the number from Fox Sports. *shrug*

imatexan
12-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Its not Schaubs fault he has been hit illegally, players can talk all they want.

He deserved the fine.

ObsiWan
12-19-2008, 07:59 AM
I really think they ought to change the fine structure to be a set percentage of pay, or a minimum fine, whichever is larger. That would serve as a real deterrent.

Maybe. But if you knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that you'd never get broadsided by another vehicle, the chance of getting away with it might outweigh the consequences. These guys have a chance to knock out a QB and win the game, when the downside is a very small fine. It's not even close to equitable.

That's true.
Marcus is right. Automatic, no-pay suspensions is the way to go if the league is serious about "player safety"

I wonder what his fine would have been if he speared Peyton Manning?

Silver Oak
12-19-2008, 08:00 AM
I still can't believe Finnegan is going to the Pro Bowl. Obviously just a rider as a result of a good team record as I think he is a marginal CB at best.

ObsiWan
12-19-2008, 08:09 AM
They must have renegotiated a new contract really quickly
According to this article (http://proathletesonly.com/news/locker-room/titans-extend-cornerback-cortland-finnegan-through-2011-season/), he got a new deal in August...

The Tennessee Titans locked up another one of their rising young stars, agreeing to terms with cornerback Cortland Finnegan on a contract extension through 2011.

The new deal is worth just under $17 million over the next four seasons, and it includes roughly $8.5 million in guaranteed money. This year he will receive a $4 million signing bonus, a $2 million roster bonus and a $500,000 base salary.

He was initially scheduled to make the rookie minimum of $445,000 this season, his third in the NFL.
Sounds like the same salary neighborhood Reeves is in

TimeKiller
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Heaven forbid this guy shows a little dignity. He should be fined for trying to appeal the fine. The hits were out of anger that he was getting his ass handed to him up and down the field by AJ, twice flagged for personal fouls which were fully intentional to EVERYONE, from a team who has the concept of pain as a defensive tactic, and the t.v. announcers said he argued with the refs the entire commercial break after the flags.

"It's called class you yokel!!" [/Bender]

Koolaid Time
12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
That's true.
Marcus is right. Automatic, no-pay suspensions is the way to go if the league is serious about "player safety"

I wonder what his fine would have been if he speared Peyton Manning?

Helmet to Helmet on a QB ought to be minimum 1 game suspension, minimum $50K fine.

SheTexan
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Why should he care anyway. I bet big bad BUD will pick up the fine regardless. The only way to punish these guys for illegal hits is to suspend them without pay. A 25,000 buck fine to these guys means squat

Fisher is just po'd because his team lost to the lowly Texans, and there's no telling what BUD had to say to Fisher about that controversial call.

GlassHalfFull
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Why should he care anyway. I bet big bad BUD will pick up the fine regardless. The only way to punish these guys for illegal hits is to suspend them without pay. A 25,000 buck fine to these guys means squat

Fisher is just po'd because his team lost to the lowly Texans, and there's no telling what BUD had to say to Fisher about that controversial call.

Good point. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

El Tejano
12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Fisher, the only thing questionable was your decision to pass up on the Field Goal attempt.

infantrycak
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
According to this link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=7964), Finnegan's salary is $6.6M.

He redid his deal this year. Fox is attributing his entire signing bonus of $6 mil to this year.

GP
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I still think something doesn't add up with (a) the playcall, going deep when you needed 3 yards to continue milking the clock and get closer, and (b) saying that he was 5 yards out of his range due to wind and distance.

I didn't even see Collins look anywhere but deep.

Fisher was going for the jugular. He figured he would complete the pass, possibly for a TD, or draw a pass interference call and get the ball near the goal line...where I think he'd planned to run the whale and the wizard three-straight times to try and milk the clock, score a TD, or kick an easy FG.

You don't throw deep on 4th and 3, when you only needed 5-10 yards for a game-winning FG attempt. Especially when your kicker is Bironas.

Had the pass been a quick slant or a 5-yard curl, I'd believe Fisher's postgame comments more easily. But it seems to me that he was definitely trying to embarass us, trying to make an emphatic statement since his team looked dull all game long. He's concerned about his team's focus and effort right now. He was trying to give a spark before the crucial games begin.

But...he played the "We needed an extra five yards" card as a way to brush off his mistake.

He got too greedy, IMO. I give him points for the boldness: For not sitting on a 12-1 record, for trying to seal the deal on one play. But there was plenty of time on the clock to get the 1st down FIRST and then run the whale and the wizard to (a) get closer for a FG, and (b) run the clock out.

ChampionTexan
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM

I don't know. I just pulled the number from Fox Sports. *shrug*

He signed an extension at the beginning of this year, and apparently pocketed upwards of $6 Million in bonus money at that time. USA Today's salary database has the same $6.6 Million amount.

Cortland Finnegan's Salary (http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=Finnegan&player=4094)

Double Barrel
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
I've always had respect for Fischer, now not so much. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just have a different opinion of him. The hit to Schaub was a no doubter, the one on OD was a late hit. He got mad that he was getting schooled, and he let it get the best of him.

I agree. Fisher is Co-Chair of the NFL competition committee, so I would think he'd hold his own players to a higher standard as a result. But defending cheap hits, especially because it's his own player, just makes me lost a little respect for the man.

Which is why they ought to have one-game suspensions without pay. See if THAT might be a deterrent?

He lost his temper because he was getting his head handed to him by AJ, so he gets chosen to go to the Pro Bowl. Go figure.

I agree 100%. I think they should be ejected from the game, fined heavily, and suspended for a full game. Send a no-tolerance message and I'd bet that the cheap-shot players in the league would hear it pretty quickly.

GP
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree 100%. I think they should be ejected from the game, fined heavily, and suspended for a full game. Send a no-tolerance message and I'd bet that the cheap-shot players in the league would hear it pretty quickly.

NFL should make it legal for everyone to cheap-shot a cheap-shotter. Hell, make it legal for players to cheap-shot ANYBODY on the team of a cheap-shotter.

Now THAT would take care of it.

Nobody would employ those tactics if they knew the other teams on the schedule had legal license to cheap shot back. The difference is that the cheap-shotter gets flagged and fined, and the others get a smile from the refs and play continues on.

toronto
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I still can't believe Finnegan is going to the Pro Bowl. Obviously just a rider as a result of a good team record as I think he is a marginal CB at best.

You're dead wrong. Minus the Texans game, Finnegan has shut down his side of the field several games this year, forcing QBs to concentrate on Nick Harper's side.

As I have also said though, any secondary looks better when the opposing QB is often on their back or running for their life.

mexican_texan
12-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Good point. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.
I bet every time Bud walks into a room, a lot of flies suddenly appear, like in the Amityville Horror.

TimeKiller
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM

I've said before, if Player A cheap shots Player B and B suffers injury from it Player A should have to sit exactly as long as B. 3 games, rest of the season, however long it is both sit. As far as shots like Schaub was taking, clearly full of intent harm but nothing major results...maybe they could introduce the penalty box from hockey onto the gridiron. A quarter or a half depending on how ugly it gets. Ejection for downright dirty play isn't a normal thing but...maybe it should be.

Vinny
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I still can't believe Finnegan is going to the Pro Bowl. Obviously just a rider as a result of a good team record as I think he is a marginal CB at best. Finnegan is a top CB...just because you don't like him doesn't mean he isn't good at what he does.

Silver Oak
12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Finnegan is a top CB...just because you don't like him doesn't mean he isn't good at what he does.

I'll defer to your judgement on his abilities, but I know AJ made him look silly last Sunday.

Pro Bowler vs Pro Bowler...Finnegan came out a distant second.

brakos82
12-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Your not talking football here right ? Cause the lions don't attack anything .

:goodpost::lion:

Specnatz
12-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Saying Finegan is good or is bad is very hard to quantify, with the front 4 of the titans. Just as I think it is hard to do that with the Giants front 4. Look at the cowgirls. They had DBs go to the probowl last year because of the front 7 creating such a pass rush. This year not so much and hell until Wade took over the D calling they could not stop the run.

Sorta like the chicken egg thing. If anyone has looked at the titans record they faced Manning once and he did not have great game but it was Chris Hope who did the damage not Fennigan. Favre lit them up as well as the Jets running game. No they did not have a 100 yard rusher but they did have a 96 and another at 82 yard rusher. If you can throw on these guys it opens up the run more and more and you have to have a very quick release and also keep them honest with not getting away from the run.

So I see it as Fennigan maybe a good corner but I would not put him in the same breath as Nnamdi Asomugha.

Hooston Texan
12-19-2008, 05:09 PM
While I enjoy tearing at punks like Finnegan at every opportunity, did AJ really torch him last week? His final catch--the 40 yarder--was against Finnegan, but in reviewing the play-by-play, it looks like most of his catches were against either against Nick Harper or underneath the defense.

That said, the play-by-play does not say who he beat on the 65-yard pass (Griffin made the tackle, but he's a safety), so that might have been Finnegan (edit: upon watching the video, Finnegan was on the other side of the field on that play. The other CB released AJ to the safety and AJ roasted him.). But the subsequent TD was not against him.

The last catch was impressive, but it looked like a great player getting the better of a good player rather than an out-and-out roasting. Finnegan was there but AJ made a superior play on the ball.

Marcus
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
As I have also said though, any secondary looks better when the opposing QB is often on their back or running for their life.

Saying Finegan is good or is bad is very hard to quantify, with the front 4 of the titans. Just as I think it is hard to do that with the Giants front 4. Look at the cowgirls. They had DBs go to the probowl last year because of the front 7 creating such a pass rush. This year not so much and hell until Wade took over the D calling they could not stop the run.

So . . . going by the above logic, which is very sound by the way, given the lack of the Texans pass rush until recently, how do you properly evaluate how good your secondary is? Didn't they start to play better once they started getting pressure on the QB?

You can't separate the two. Just like the commentator on Sirius says, over and over, and over . . . show me a good CB, I'll show you a good DL up front.

disaacks3
12-19-2008, 06:02 PM
IMHO - Finnegan is BOTH a top-tier CB AND a cheap-shotter. Reminds me of a certain player on the Pats...

He plays high-rev football and lets himself get a little TOO emotional at times and will cost his team those sort of penalties. Most coaches, however, will take his exceptional play the REST of the time and be happy that he rarely gets burned. I have zero love for the guy after the cheap shots against MY team, but I do respect his physical gifts and play-making ability (Much like Haynesworth).

texasguy346
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll defer to your judgement on his abilities, but I know AJ made him look silly last Sunday.

Pro Bowler vs Pro Bowler...Finnegan came out a distant second.

To be fair AJ has made a lot of Pro Bowlers look silly. He's just that good.

Malloy
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Ive been saying that the whole time, hurt a team by handing out suspensions, hell individual penalties n games already hurts the entire team.

1: Game suspensions
2: Penalties to team salary-cap
3: Rewoke wins

Start doing this and you'll see a much cleaner sport.

I just thought about this, in European soccer, if a player intentionally hurts a player, he can be prosecuted for assault, is there any way this could be the case in the US (and in football) also ?

ObsiWan
12-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Ive been saying that the whole time, hurt a team by handing out suspensions, hell individual penalties n games already hurts the entire team.

I just thought about this, in European soccer, if a player intentionally hurts a player, he can be prosecuted for assault, is there any way this could be the case in the US (and in football) also ?

I also seem to recall a couple of NHL players being brought up on assault charges... so futbol isn't the only sport that takes dirty play seriously.

Having said that, I don't think what FinedAgain did was worthy of assault charges... ...now if some O-lineman took it upon himself to pancake him extra hard on a running play.... I wouldn't object.

mexican_texan
12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
To be fair AJ has made a lot of Pro Bowlers look silly. He's just that good.
He makes me damn proud to be a Texans fan.

mattieuk
12-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Happens a little bit, not very often though (in Britain at least). Duncan Ferguson of Rangers got 3 months in the nick for headbutting an opponent on the field fo play.

You see the odd attempt to take things to court, but even a recent challenge with an elbow in the air ending up with a fractured skull I think didn't get a police prosecution.

In this case the league need to dish out a punishment that will stop it, not hand it over to the cops.

Hooston Texan
12-20-2008, 07:58 AM
The Matt Schaub Fine Counter is up to $90,000.

$15,000 from Drayton Florence
$50,000 from Jared Allen
$25,000 from Courtland Finnegan

Want to bet that it gets into six figures before the season ends?

b0ng
12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
The Matt Schaub Fine Counter is up to $90,000.

$15,000 from Drayton Florence
$50,000 from Jared Allen
$25,000 from Courtland Finnegan

Want to bet that it gets into six figures before the season ends?

I think Drayton Florence's fine was from last season. Unless your including those too, then I think Haynesworth got a 10K or 15K fine for unneccessary roughness last season as well.

DocBar
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I've always had respect for Fischer, now not so much. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just have a different opinion of him. The hit to Schaub was a no doubter, the one on OD was a late hit. He got mad that he was getting schooled, and he let it get the best of him. I didn't lose any respect for Fisher. He wants an aggressive D that intimidates opponents, so he's going to defend his guy. Kubes would do the same, I hope. Wouldn't it be great to see an aggressive enough D to actually get flagged for something like that? I'm not condoning cheap shots, but sometimes they happen when you're slobberknockin someone.

Your not talking football here right ? Cause the lions don't attack anything . :spit:

I bet every time Bud walks into a room, a lot of flies suddenly appear, like in the Amityville Horror. I can think of a lot of other reasons flies would be buzzing aroung Bud Adams. Sidenote: He's the only guy I know that makes Donald Trumps hair look good.

infantrycak
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I think Drayton Florence's fine was from last season. Unless your including those too, then I think Haynesworth got a 10K or 15K fine for unneccessary roughness last season as well.

Haynesworth was not fined for his pile drive last year.

b0ng
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Haynesworth was not fined for his pile drive last year.

I stand corrected.