PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth's Play Triggers F.A.

mattieuk
12-17-2008, 11:22 AM
According to ESPN:

Tuesday's recognition of Albert Haynesworth as one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL could come at a steep price for the Tennessee Titans.

When Haynesworth was named to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday, it triggered a clause in his contract guaranteeing he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Titans had agreed to four conditions under which they would agree not to place the franchise player tag Haynesworth. A second straight Pro Bowl appearance was one of those four triggers.

That doesn't mean Haynesworth is automatically out the door: The Titans still have exclusive negotiating rights with him until Feb. 27. But he's free to talk to other teams after that date.

Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, said now is not the time to discuss his client's future, according to The (Nashville) Tennessean.

"I am just excited for Albert that he made the Pro Bowl and he is certainly deserving of it,'' Speck said, according to the report. "Right now I know he is clearly focused on trying to get healthy and making it back for the playoff run. I think the contract stuff will take care of itself at the end of the season.'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3775006 (Source)

"I am just excited for Albert that he made the Pro Bowl and he is certainly deserving of it" - His Agent.

I'm sure Albert isn't half as excited as Speck is looking at his big looming payout!

Vinny
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
From a on the field perspective...he has earned it. He was very impressive Sunday and all over the field.

Texan_Bill
12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Agree with you Vinny. His play has earned it. I wonder what the results of his MRI were? Anyone heard?? Just curious because if there is any damage it could help the Titans from a leverage stand point rather than Haynesworth having all of the leverage.

mattieuk
12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
The Tennessee Titans will be without defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch for the remainder of the regular season, but should have both players back for the playoffs.

Haynesworth suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee toward the end of Sunday’s 13-12 loss to the Houston Texans and had to be helped off the field.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=64806

Nothing really substantial, but doesn't sound too serious.

Double Barrel
12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I hope he tests the open market. Get him out of our division (unless he played for us, of course, which I think has a zero percent chance of happening). Matter-of-fact, dude needs to migrate over to the NFC, preferably the north division so we don't have to play against him for another four seasons.

Brandon420tx
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I hope he tests the open market. Get him out of our division (unless he played for us, of course, which I think has a zero percent chance of happening). Matter-of-fact, dude needs to migrate over to the NFC, preferably the north division so we don't have to play against him for another four seasons.

I said earlier I hope he lands with the Lions

WWJD
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
He has a possibility of becoming the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I don't know how Bud is regarding handing out big contracts but that would be the overriding factor...is Bud willing to pay that much for him to stay?

Mr teX
12-18-2008, 03:51 PM
He has a possibility of becoming the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I don't know how Bud is regarding handing out big contracts but that would be the overriding factor...is Bud willing to pay that much for him to stay?

I hope someone offers him something more & he leaves so tennessee fans can get a taste of the real Bud Adams.

mattieuk
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Quite probable. The contract he gets is going to be huge if there is a few teams interested in paying their way to a decent D-line. It could be a fantastic contract battle, and end up in someone digging themselves into the recession a little bit more.

WWJD
12-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Well everybody knows that he is going to command mega bucks.....I don't follow enough to know who could use him urgently...

There is always a demand to upgrade one's team but who in the NFL needs a big DT like him?

And who is willing to put up with the possibility of him going postal at some point and using his cleats again as a weapon?

I have read that he tends to be a bit on the lazy side when it suits him...

It's already lining up for him to be THE FA of the next off season. Should be interesting.

mattieuk
12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Well everybody knows that he is going to command mega bucks.....I don't follow enough to know who could use him urgently...

There is always a demand to upgrade one's team but who in the NFL needs a big DT like him?

And who is willing to put up with the possibility of him going postal at some point and using his cleats again as a weapon?

I have read that he tends to be a bit on the lazy side when it suits him...

It's already lining up for him to be THE FA of the next off season. Should be interesting.

From what I hear, thats the worry. Unless ever contract offer he gets is heavily ladened with Pro-Bowl based incentives there sounds like there is a large possibility (for a franchise DT anyway) that he is going to go missing too much through laziness, and that is NOT one of the things you want to be worried about when deciding to signing away a large chunck of your salary.

Fine the psat few seasons he has been frightening, but after he signs the biggie, what happens then? Thats the call that someones going to have to make, and I have a horrible feeling its the call thats going to cost a GM somewhere some serious $$$ and perhaps his job (a la Cory Redding being a nail in Millen's coffin).

gg no re
12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

WWJD
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

What? That he gets millions of dollars and is the most sought after upcoming FA?

Doesn't sound so bad to me.