PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl Thread

infantrycak
12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Not an announcement yet, but at least one survey of opinions--Link (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d5a10d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

AJ and Mario universal. Only one OD nod, but 4 of 5 for Steve Slaton.

powerfuldragon
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
wow. steve slaton's on the radar for the pro bowl. a pleasant surprise.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope Leach gets in.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
really poed the hammer didn't get a sniff. It'll come.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I can't believe one of those guys voted for LeRon McClain!! He's not getting fullback snaps, he's become a RB! The guys voting should know that he's only on as a FB because of his role on the team at the beginning of the season, when the ballots were created.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I can't believe one of those guys voted for LeRon McClain!! He's not getting fullback snaps, he's become a RB! The guys voting should know that he's only on as a FB because of his role on the team at the beginning of the season, when the ballots were created.

That's why Mike Alstott always got the nod. He was a fullback in name only. The vast majority of his runs were out of a single back set.

nero THE zero
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Man, Haloti Ngata's getting snubbed. He'll be the best player not to make the Pro Bowl.

Ckw
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Not an announcement yet, but at least one survey of opinions--Link (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d5a10d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

AJ and Mario universal. Only one OD nod, but 4 of 5 for Steve Slaton.

It amazes me that the dude that didn't vote for Slaton voted for OD. Go figure?!? I mean he obviously watch some of the Texans game if he voted for OD, so how could he put LT in over Stevo?

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Man, Haloti Ngata's getting snubbed. He'll be the best player not to make the Pro Bowl.

Agreed. One of the RBs or Matt Ryan will get it, but Clady ought to get rookie of the year.

HOU-TEX
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Mario and AJ are in.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d60467&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

You can listen to them at 3:15 on HT.com

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Hervoyel
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Ron Brown over Steve Slaton is literally criminal.

Same could be said of Antonio Gates over Owen Daniels (AND Dallas Clark!)

MeLoveTexans
12-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Slaton, OD, Pitts, Leach, and Demeco are all listed as alternates.. Not bad

TEXANS84
12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow, one of the best defensive front 7 I have seen in awhile:

Defensive end Mario Williams, Houston
Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Robert Mathis, Indianapolis
Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee
Kris Jenkins, New York Jets Shaun Rogers, Cleveland
Outside linebacker James Harrison, Pittsburgh
Joey Porter, Miami Terrell Suggs, Baltimore
Inside linebacker Ray Lewis, Baltimore James Farrior, Pittsburgh

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Ryan Clady got snubbed. Pure and simple.

drewmar74
12-16-2008, 03:25 PM

No kidding. How'd you like to have to line up and try to run on that?

Ouch.

And the secondary (less Michael Finnegan, er, I mean Cortland) isn't bad either.

Errant Hothy
12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Leach not being named the started at FB is the biggest snub for any Texan.

MannyFresh
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Congrats Andre Johnson, don't worry you will get that ring soon.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/Antonio2006_photos/AndreJohnsonPS3-1.png

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Wow. The AFC has one of the best lineups I've seen. Could you imagine a real team? Peyton throwing to Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall and Reggie Wayne.

I'm mostly in awe over the Defense. I don't think a single team, or even the NFC pro bowl team would be able to score over 10 points against them if they were REALLY playing hard.

DE Mario Williams
DT Albert Haynesworth
DT Kris Jenkins
DE Dwight Freeney
OLB James Harrison
MLB Ray Lewis
OLB Joey Porter
CB Nnambdi Asomugha
FS Ed Reed
SS Troy Palomalu
CB Cortland Finnegan

That Defense is downright scary.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 03:36 PM
AD.... 3 and out ALL DAY long.

MannyFresh
12-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm so stoked about Mario getting selected too.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/Antonio2006_photos/Mario-Williams-Cover-1.jpg

bigbrewster2000
12-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Congrats Andre Johnson, don't worry you will get that ring soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Delete that now I dont want the Madden curse to get Andre

MannyFresh
12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Delete that now I dont want the Madden curse to get Andre

Curse was broken with Farve.

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Curse was broken with Farve.

Only because he switched teams.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM

That sounded bad.

Errant Hothy
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Steve Wyche at NFL.com said it was becasue of Brown's "versatility" in the wildcat. :scarygirl:

Greg, Houston 04:36 PM ET
Ronnie Brown over Steve Slaton? What are your thoughts?

Steve Wyche, NFL.com
I really liked Steve Slaton, especially since he was supposed to be a situational player and he emerged to be a full-time player who not only rushed for 1,000-plus yards but is also a big threat out of the backfield...Ronie Brown is a multi-dimensional player also and the Wildcat offense might not have worked without him being so versatile.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/76?refresh=30

MannyFresh
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Ah well its not the real cover so it don't apply to AJ.... :texflag:

Porky
12-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :hides:

cdollaz
12-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Brett Favre getting is flat out hilarious. He isn't near the top of any of the major stats, except for INTs, which he is leading, of course.

Jackie Chiles
12-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Steve is playing the part of Mario last year. He came on strong but it was a little too late. I'm glad he made it as an alternate and if he has a similar or better year next year I have no doubt he gets in. I was actually fairly impressed with all the alternates we have, just a matter of time before they break through.

ObsiWan
12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
It amazes me that the dude that didn't vote for Slaton voted for OD. Go figure?!? I mean he obviously watch some of the Texans game if he voted for OD, so how could he put LT in over Stevo?
I noticed that too.
And he voted LT!? LT didn't really have a pro bowl year

HOU-TEX
12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Steve is playing the part of Mario last year. He came on strong but it was a little too late. I'm glad he made it as an alternate and if he has a similar or better year next year I have no doubt he gets in. I was actually fairly impressed with all the alternates we have, just a matter of time before they break through.

Actually, AJ stated in his PC that Slaton was #2 in stats in the AFC at the time they voted.

BUT, it's been par for the course for the Texans players who deserve it. They get snubbed their first year, then get invited their next year. It happened to D-Ryans and now MW.

Jackie Chiles
12-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Actually, AJ stated in his PC that Slaton was #2 in stats in the AFC at the time they voted.

The fans have been voting all year though and Slaton was not really on the radar at the start of the year. He probably should have been after the Tenn game but hes just a rookie and we didn't even know that he was going to be this good.

ReliantTexan
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Man, Haloti Ngata's getting snubbed. He'll be the best player not to make the Pro Bowl.Yeah. Another guy that comes to mind is John Abraham. He has 14 sacks this year which is more than the two players who got in ahead of him, Tuck and Peppers.

Kaiser Toro
12-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Criminal indeed

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah. Another guy that comes to mind is John Abraham. He has 14 sacks this year which is more than the two players who got in ahead of him, Tuck and Peppers.

There's more to being a DE than rushing the passer.

nero THE zero
12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
There's more to being a DE than rushing the passer.

He's also been better against the run. Abraham has been the best DE in the NFC this year.

Definitely snubbed.

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
zero problem with Ronnie Brown in over Slaton. :)

but huge issue with Favre getting in over Pennington. not that i'm surprised or anything. just more reason to want to beat him down week 17

ObsiWan
12-16-2008, 04:46 PM

but huge issue with Favre getting in over Pennington. not that i'm surprised or anything. just more reason to want to beat him down week 17

Gee, how shocking

Htownsportsfan
12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Hell yeah! I was going to bein Maui all week for my 10 year anniversary so I am flying back to Oahu on Saturday and staying at The Hilton Hawaiian village and bought front row tickets for the game on Sunday! I am so pumped to see Mario get his props, I have never worn a players jersey since I took mine off for the last time in High School but I think I might make an exception for the Pro Bowl!

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Gee, how shocking

ya damn right. he's my favorite player on the Dolphins, so i'm quite thrilled for him :splits:

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Ryan Clady got snubbed. Pure and simple.

Jason Peters has been almost terrible this year. how he gets in is beyond me. Clady and even Jake Long have outplayed him easily

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:03 PM
zero problem with Ronnie Brown in over Slaton. :) Not like Brown deserved to go (because he didn't)

Pennington didn't deserve it either since he's about as game manager as you can get. Favre is a gunslinger, Pennington is a maccaroni arm.

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Pennington didn't deserve it either since he's about as game manager as you can get. Favre is a gunslinger, Pennington is a maccaroni arm.
this is the worst post in the history of this forum

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:05 PM
this is the worst post in the history of this forum

Don't like it when people make inflammatory comments against your team huh? :)

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 05:06 PM
there's a difference between "inflammatory" and "completely and utterly without thought, logic or reason"

HoustonFrog
12-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Brown had a few large games in the wildcat formation and after but in general did not deserve to go at all. Slaton was much better over the course of the season. I mean look at his last 4 games. Not impressive.

Hervoyel
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM

See, you're just wrong there. I have a big problem with Brown in over Slaton AND I have at least as big a problem with Favre in over Pennington or Rivers.

Popularity contest. Not much more to it than that.

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
"completely and utterly without thought, logic or reason"

Much like your assertion of Brown over Slaton.

I can do this all day.

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
i didn't say Brown deserves to go over Slaton.

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
You know what you're right.

I see no issue whatsoever with Brett Favre going into the ProBowl over Chad Pennington.

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 05:12 PM
well-played. certainly a better comment than your first one

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
This is my (real) comment on the ProBowl:

How many years in a row are the Jags not going to get any players nominated to this worthless game?

False Start
12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Ron Brown over Steve Slaton is literally criminal

But Ronnie Brown leads the league in TD passes by a RB. ;)

Yeah its a jip, popularity contest at its best.

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM

Wow. I'd roll out Freeney Jenkins Haynesworth Mario in a heartbeat.

It's really nice to see the Texans get some love nationally though. Aren't we like 3-0 in our last 3 nationally televised games including 2-0 this year? It shows that Houston isn't a Detroit-type destination for draftees and prospective players and coaches especially going into this offseason.

there are lots of reasons to be happy about our team moving forward. youngest team. kubiak has the offense looking like a professional football team for the first time in franchise history...yeah, they turn the ball over and they make stupid plays but its lightyears beyond the dink and dunk days of HWSNBN. i have been hard on Kubiak all year but he really has done an incredible job making our offense an NFL quality offense. He started with AJ and a few decent OL and a bunch of total scrubs. let's face it.

I hate that we have a Head Coach learning on the job at times, but hopefully that time is coming to an end. Bring in a new attacking scheme on defense and create turnovers. Continue to stockpile talent and depth and get yourself another playmaker on defense. we don't even have to be a great defense, we just need to be opportunistic and create turnovers.

you start giving our offense a shorter field and it could get ugly next year....for the rest of the league that is.

damn that was a rant. to have so many Texans in the Pro Bowl discussion is a thing of beauty. Even ole Matt Schaub could have possibly been in PB mix had he stayed healthy. I guess I am just a little giddy.

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
This is my (real) comment on the ProBowl:

How many years in a row are the Jags not going to get any players nominated to this worthless game?

this is one year that they probably didn't deserve it. you can make an argument for Mathis maybe MJD as an alternate but thats about it.

b0ng
12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
this is one year that they probably didn't deserve it. you can make an argument for Mathis maybe MJD as an alternate but thats about it.

I'd have probably put MJD in just because of the season he had last year (We can still do that right? Walter Jones is in? check.), and Rashean Mathis because he was honestly good.

I'd hate to be a Jaguars fan.

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
damn that was a rant. to have so many Texans in the Pro Bowl discussion is a thing of beauty. Even ole Matt Schaub could have possibly been in PB mix had he stayed healthy. I guess I am just a little giddy.

statistically he's been one of the top 3 QB's in the AFC this year.

Polo
12-16-2008, 06:03 PM
The only reason I want guys on the Texans to go to the Pro-Bowl is so they get better on Madden....

That way when I play with my Texans, as I mostly do, I won't have to be such a beast...

b0ng
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
statistically he's been one of the top 3 QB's in the AFC this year.

Attendance counts for a lot apparently. Or at least I think that's what screwed Romo this year.

And that's the last time you will ever hear me say something positive with a Cowboy players name attached to it (Although Romo makes it really hard to hate the Cowboys QB because he is a nice guy).

mattieuk
12-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Not tooooo bothered that Stevie has been robbed of a place...saves him any more work, and he can get rested up for next seasons playoff challenge.

Congrats to Mario and AJ though....utterly deserved!

kastofsna
12-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Jake Long - 14 Starts - 5 Penalties for 40 yards - 2.5 sacks allowed for 15.5 yards

Joe Thomas - 14 Starts - 6 Penalties for 35 yards - 2.5 sacks allowed for 11.5 yards

Jason Peters - 13 Starts - 8 Penalties for 55 yards - 11.5 sacks allowed for 106.5 yards

brakos82
12-16-2008, 06:27 PM
If Mario gets a sack in Hawaii, is he gonna do the hula again? :thinking:

b0ng
12-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Jake Long - 14 Starts - 5 Penalties for 40 yards - 2.5 sacks allowed for 15.5 yards

Joe Thomas - 14 Starts - 6 Penalties for 35 yards - 2.5 sacks allowed for 11.5 yards

Jason Peters - 13 Starts - 8 Penalties for 55 yards - 11.5 sacks allowed for 106.5 yards

I'd be fine with Peters not going, but I'd put Clady in over Long.

I'd also put players in at RT that actually play RT in the NFL.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM

No kidding. They were saying on the radio earlier that ALL SIX of the tackles selected in both conferences are LTs.

12-16-2008, 07:37 PM

nice stats... just curious, where did you get em?

Vinny
12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Glad to see Pitts get an alternate....hell, even fans here dog the guy (they don't have espnNews methinks)...so good for you Chester.

Hervoyel
12-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Glad to see Pitts get an alternate....hell, even fans here dog the guy (they don't have espnNews methinks)...so good for you Chester.

Is there a place to find all of the alternates? I've been looking for a list and can't find one.

Vinny
12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Is there a place to find all of the alternates? I've been looking for a list and can't find one. I just heard word of mouth...I'm sure one will pop up soon. We have quite a few alternates so someone else may end up in Hawaii soon.

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Not tooooo bothered that Stevie has been robbed of a place...saves him any more work, and he can get rested up for next seasons playoff challenge.

Congrats to Mario and AJ though....utterly deserved!

gotta agree. i liked Mario barely missing the PB last year so he had something to prove this year. hopefully Slaton will follow suit next year and end up in Honolulu himself.

same goes with the rest of the alternates...just a little carrot on a stick

I can't wait to see the All-Pro team and see if AJ is named as 1st Team. I really can't see him getting beat out by anyone aside from Steve Smith maybe and there are 2 spots so he would be an All-Pro starter. AJ has a better chance for a 1st Team All-Pro honor than Mario does although I am sure Mario will be 2nd Team All-Pro. Newsflash. We have never had an All-Pro on the Texans. We'll have two for sure this year. Things are looking up and the team is trending likewise.

b0ng
12-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Is there a place to find all of the alternates? I've been looking for a list and can't find one.

From what I understand OD, Kris Brown, Pitts, Slaton and Leach are all alternates.

Newsflash. We have never had an All-Pro on the Texans. We'll have two for sure this year. Things are looking up and the team is trending likewise.

Mario was All-Pro last year.

EDIT: DGDB&D Sez: (http://www.atexansblog.com/)

The Texans also added five alternate Pro Bowlers–Chester Pitts, Vonta Leach, Steve Slaton, DeMeco Ryans, and Owen Daniels. Given the way players suddenly have a nagging injury that keeps them from playing (everyone wants to be named, no one wants to take snaps), it would not be surprising to see one or more of them added.

IlliniJen
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Ronnie Brown in and Slaton not is not just a head-scratcher, but a WTF ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING??!!! It's the Pro Bowl based on excellence, not a Pro Bowl based on how well someone has relatively recovered from snapping their ACL off.

I want to see a Pro Bowl offense dominated by Texans next year. AJ, OD, SS, Walter and The Schaub. And hell, throw DA in there because the string dance is a must for Hawaii.

I predict next year we'll see a Texans def player make the PB or be an alternate who we never would expect. Hopefully someone who is working to win and keep a position and not some guy that gets there merely be virtue of his draft position.

Hardcore Texan
12-16-2008, 08:54 PM

It's at the bottom of the link.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5017

toronto
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Jason Peters has been almost terrible this year. how he gets in is beyond me. Clady and even Jake Long have outplayed him easily

That he was listed as a starter over Roos, who has allowed one sack all year, was comical. Reminded me of the years when Lomas Brown and Larry Allen would get pro bowl nods, and were pure reputation selections as their play had slipped badly.

Hell, the Buffalo media thought Peters sucked all season and they actually pay attention to him, so go figure.

GlassHalfFull
12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Congrats to the Texans in the pro bowl. Well deserved by AJ and Mario.

It is nice to have 5 recognized as alternates as well. We are getting there.

DocBar
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I absolutely detest Brett Favre. Hearing his name makes me want to chew aluminum foil and scratch chalk boards for relief. His getting voted to the PB this year is a retched disgrace and slap in the face to more deserving QB's ( Rivers). I have a few othe complaints, but I'm just too disgusted to spend anymore time on it.

Jackie Chiles
12-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Owen and DeMeco are 1st alternates and Leach Pitts and Slaton are 2nd per the update on the team site.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5017

TexanSam
12-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Slaton was named the top snub by SI. Owen Daniels is number 5

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0812/nfl.biggest.pro.bowl.snubs/content.1.html

LORK 88
12-17-2008, 01:25 AM
As much as I like Daniels, he really did nothing to separate himself from Gates who has the name. His yards were better, but Gates will always get the TDs. When going against someone who has the namesake reputation, you have to clearly show that your better and I think Daniels failed to do so. I think it's fair to say Daniels as first alternate is reasonable, although you could argue him making the roster as well. Who knows too, all it takes is one of the two not accepting an invite to send Owen as well. I thought it was kind of weird seeing DeMeco as a first alternate. He's a great player and a huge part of our defense, but it was a bit weird because his stats don't directly reflect that (usually the main factor in decisions). I thought D'Qwell Jackson of Cleveland has been having a great season, but I guess everyone thought Ryans has been doing better.

As for second alternates, Slaton is a complete disgrace. He's right there with Chris Johnson who got in (and deserved to as well), and yet Slaton some how is behind a RB who's 7th in the AFC in rushing yards. He's got a great average, has scored a good amount of TDs, and done way beyond everything that was expected of him and yet somehow it wasn't enough. He should of made the roster or been first ballot at the worst. However, I'm so happy for Leach being 2nd alternate. He's done a lot for us and has been an over achiever, so it's good to see him get rewarded as such. He's one of my favorite Texans and it's crazy to think he was a street FA when we picked him up. Smith hit gold with him. As for Pitts, the numbers back up his solid performance. In 7 years he's been called for 57 penalties (23 being holding calls, 25 false starts, and 9 other calls), and allowed 45.25 sacks. This season he's been called for zero penalties and allowed 2.5 sacks. He really has been stepping up his game this season under Gibbs, and he might be the first Texan OL to be named as an alternate or make the pro bowl. Guess it never hurts he can play the oboe as well . . .

Bulluck53
12-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Slaton and Clady are the two biggest snubs. I think very highly of Owen Daniels but he will never get that recognition. Agreed, Peters being there is bad. Surprised Freeney and Mathis made it, but its kind of a down year for DE in the AFC.

hot pickle
12-17-2008, 02:21 AM
As much as I like Daniels, he really did nothing to separate himself from Gates who has the name. His yards were better, but Gates will always get the TDs. When going against someone who has the namesake reputation, you have to clearly show that your better and I think Daniels failed to do so. I think it's fair to say Daniels as first alternate is reasonable, although you could argue him making the roster as well. Who knows too, all it takes is one of the two not accepting an invite to send Owen as well. I thought it was kind of weird seeing DeMeco as a first alternate. He's a great player and a huge part of our defense, but it was a bit weird because his stats don't directly reflect that (usually the main factor in decisions). I thought D'Qwell Jackson of Cleveland has been having a great season, but I guess everyone thought Ryans has been doing better.

As for second alternates, Slaton is a complete disgrace. He's right there with Chris Johnson who got in (and deserved to as well), and yet Slaton some how is behind a RB who's 7th in the AFC in rushing yards. He's got a great average, has scored a good amount of TDs, and done way beyond everything that was expected of him and yet somehow it wasn't enough. He should of made the roster or been first ballot at the worst. However, I'm so happy for Leach being 2nd alternate. He's done a lot for us and has been an over achiever, so it's good to see him get rewarded as such. He's one of my favorite Texans and it's crazy to think he was a street FA when we picked him up. Smith hit gold with him. As for Pitts, the numbers back up his solid performance. In 7 years he's been called for 57 penalties (23 being holding calls, 25 false starts, and 9 other calls), and allowed 45.25 sacks. This season he's been called for zero penalties and allowed 2.5 sacks. He really has been stepping up his game this season under Gibbs, and he might be the first Texan OL to be named as an alternate or make the pro bowl. Guess it never hurts he can play the oboe as well . . .

wow i didnt know pitts was playing so good...

Allstar
12-17-2008, 06:35 AM
The biggest snub is John Abraham.

b0ng
12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Jason Hanson not getting in is pretty deploreable.

cdollaz
12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Who was the first alternate RB, ahead of Slaton? I assume Tomlinson, which would be ridiculous.

Mike Kerns
12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
The biggest snub is John Abraham.

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous. I was shocked when I didnt see his name...

Hook'er
12-17-2008, 08:00 AM

BUT, it's been par for the course for the Texans players who deserve it. They get snubbed their first year, then get invited their next year. It happened to D-Ryans and now MW.

Lets hope it happens that way, it didn't for D-Rob!:mcnugget:

kastofsna
12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
agreed.

well you could probably make that complaint with every position. flankers vs. split ends vs. slot receivers

kastofsna
12-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Who was the first alternate RB, ahead of Slaton? I assume Tomlinson, which would be ridiculous.

how is that ridiculous? the same thing happens every year for the Pro Bowl voting, when does it turn from ridiculous to routine and expected

Hervoyel
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
how is that ridiculous? the same thing happens every year for the Pro Bowl voting, when does it turn from ridiculous to routine and expected

I'm more concerned with when it's going to turn from wrong to right. Tomlinson hasn't had a Pro Bowl year. For that matter neither has Ronnie Brown (at least not when compared to Steve Slaton).

Vinny
12-17-2008, 09:08 AM
As for Pitts, the numbers back up his solid performance. In 7 years he's been called for 57 penalties (23 being holding calls, 25 false starts, and 9 other calls), and allowed 45.25 sacks. This season he's been called for zero penalties and allowed 2.5 sacks. He really has been stepping up his game this season under Gibbs, and he might be the first Texan OL to be named as an alternate or make the pro bowl. Guess it never hurts he can play the oboe as well . . .

wow i didnt know pitts was playing so good...
Probably because you are listening to the Einsteins who dog on Pitts here...I argue with them as much as I can but hell, what do I know anyway?

kastofsna
12-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm more concerned with when it's going to turn from wrong to right. Tomlinson hasn't had a Pro Bowl year. For that matter neither has Ronnie Brown (at least not when compared to Steve Slaton).

well it'll never happen, unless it's one of those years when the popular players are all the best players that year. but the fan voting isn't going to change, and apparently the players and coaches aren't that good at voting either. they play favorites, too

HOU-TEX
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Probably because you are listening to the Einsteins who dog on Pitts here...I argue with them as much as I can but hell, what do I know anyway?

Anybody who reads, much less listens to what threetoedpete said should have their head examined.

Lately, Pitts has been our best Olineman. If he could get to the 2nd level a bit quicker he'd be awesome. It was between Pitts and Winston, but Eric really upset me this past Sunday. I know Kearse still has a motor, but damn man, he was taking Eric to School.

ziggy29
12-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Too often the Pro Bowl, like any all-star game, snubs lesser known players having better years than "big names." There are several snubbed QBs having as good a season (or better) than Brett Favre, for example. But he's BRETT FAVRE and they aren't.

Anyway, congrats to AJ and Mario!

b0ng
12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
well you could probably make that complaint with every position. flankers vs. split ends vs. slot receivers

I think, and this is personal opinion, that if you're a good WR, DE, Guard or DT, you'll get your nomination. But if you play OT and not left tackle forget it, you don't have a chance. Plus I think the duties of a RT differ enough from a left tackle that a distinction should be made. Like I think Vernand Carey should make it because the dude is a monster in the run game. I don't think the ProBowl OT's should be monsters in pass protection only.

Also if this is the start of Joe Thomas getting multiple nominations because he had a great rookie year then I am gonna be sick.

kastofsna
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I think, and this is personal opinion, that if you're a good WR, DE, Guard or DT, you'll get your nomination. But if you play OT and not left tackle forget it, you don't have a chance. Plus I think the duties of a RT differ enough from a left tackle that a distinction should be made. Like I think Vernand Carey should make it because the dude is a monster in the run game. I don't think the ProBowl OT's should be monsters in pass protection only.
yeah Carey's been solid, he's nothing if not consistently good.
Also if this is the start of Joe Thomas getting multiple nominations because he had a great rookie year then I am gonna be sick.
yeah that's the way it goes with o-linemen. it'll be Thomas and Long competing for that automatic starting bid for a while, i forsee

mexican_texan
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Pitts has been our best lineman since he played for Kubiak. When he played LT, he made Freeney a non-factor in the game, something I'll never forget. This year, he's consistently our best lineman and in the Cleveland game, I saw he'd hit Shaun Rodgers before taking on his own man to help out Chris Myers

Second Honeymoon
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM

dude, didn't you get the memo. the TV said our offensive line sucks and that no QB would ever be successful behind it. the TV told me so, so its gotta be right.

/sarcasm off

i heard those lame ass 'our OL sucks' 'QB would suck behind our line' and/or 'how can you throw downfield when your lying on your back' for so long, its not surprising that so many people bought into it.

Honoring Earl 34
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0812/nfl.biggest.pro.bowl.snubs/content.1.html

threetoedpete
12-17-2008, 11:05 PM

the cambles soup jinx is worse. Peolpe die on that one.

threetoedpete
12-17-2008, 11:09 PM

D'ough !!!

HOMER

:homer::shades:

mexican_texan
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
D'ough !!!

HOMER

:homer::shades:
No, Pennington really deserves it over Favre. Rivers and Cutler should get in ahead of Favre too.

threetoedpete
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
dude, didn't you get the memo. the TV said our offensive line sucks and that no QB would ever be successful behind it. the TV told me so, so its gotta be right.

/sarcasm off

i heard those lame ass 'our OL sucks' 'QB would suck behind our line' and/or 'how can you throw down field when your lying on your back' for so long, its not surprising that so many people bought into it.

Yeah well, last time I checked the concussion line was at four or five . Our QB is at two....up to you to figure out just how great we're doing there big guy.
One more and Matty is over the hump.

Look when the owners had a lock on the players the pro bowl actually meant something, You'd have a ligament beef. The two conferences hardly ever met each other and all the fans had to bank on arguing on who was the best was the pro bowl. Free agency and Joe Namath's guarantee changed all of that.

Now the pro bowl, out side of incentive clauses in contracts, is virtually worthless.
It's a cartoon. Nothing more. You play a diva position you're going to have greater competition there and a greater chance at getting snubbed. Steve Slaton. If we don't grind him into the dirt the next couple of weeks....Steve Slaton'll get his goes. Might be a blessing in disguise. Keep him out of the touch football games on the beach.

Jason Peters had a good year last year. This thing, pro bowl voting, usually trials behind the players half a year or so. Fans usually make up the mistakes the next year.

The fact is, Peters , with the new tackles in the conference: this could be the only year he has in his career to make the trip. fair no....but he did do well last year and how many guys from Buffalo are going this year ?

If you're a weak armed QB....and you get snubbed over the gunslinger....well as I said it's a cartoon now. Who'd you rather watch that sunday...Farve slinging it around the park, or spaghetti arm pushing the ball seven yards up the Field ? Fair ? no. But Pennington is lucky just to be on a Field.

No one watches the play of the o-lines closely. Special teams ? Blocks on special teams , tackles on special teams ? Half the fans, the guys voting on these things, couldn't tell you what the hell a gunner is if you asked them point blank. But they are the guys paying seven bucks a beer at the stadium.
If the owners chose to throw them this bone...why not ? It'll all even out in the end. Football Karma. Sammy Baugh died today....I bet no one on this board can tell me the record he held in the NFL for over twenty years ?

I watched Mathews and Munch go a couple of times when they shouldn't have. Happens when the legend out runs the talent. Really would anyone begrudge some of the Grey beards on the roster one more go ?

Football Karma...It'll all even out in the end. ? And if it doesn't, that's life.

mexican_texan
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Just a heads up, guys are already dropping out. LT hasn't dropped out yet, but a C and a LT have already bowed out of the Pro Bowl.

eriadoc
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Look when the owners had a lock on the players the pro bowl actually meant something, You'd have a ligament beef.

That doesn't sound tasty at all. I like my beef without much gristle or other connective tissue. Leaving ligaments in your beef is legitimately bad. Yuck.

gtexan02
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
That doesn't sound tasty at all. I like my beef without much gristle or other connective tissue. Leaving ligaments in your beef is legitimately bad. Yuck.

Don't you mean ligament-ly bad?