PDA

View Full Version : If we HAD to spend big money on one of these free agents: Asomugha or Haynesworth?

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Let me get this out of the way - neither of these signings are even remotely possible, so this is a COMPLETE hypothetical. Albert's going to come at too high a price, and Asomugha will probably be franchised again.

Who would you prefer?

I would go with Asomugha, because I think he's more of a sure-thing to continue his excellent play. I'm really afraid that Fat Al will go back to his only better-than-average play before his contract years... that said, it's almost worth the risk because OH my GOD he and Mario on the same line? Holy cow.

Somehow, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make this a poll. I clicked the box that says "Yes, post a poll with this thread," but that didn't work.

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Aso.

We don't need scum on this team.

This is my message to Fat Albert:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/SchoonPK/fire.jpg

HOU-TEX
12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Let me get this out of the way - neither of these signings are even remotely possible, so this is a COMPLETE hypothetical. Albert's going to come at too high a price, and Asomugha will probably be franchised again.

Who would you prefer?

I would go with Asomugha, because I think he's more of a sure-thing to continue his excellent play. I'm really afraid that Fat Al will go back to his only better-than-average play before his contract years... that said, it's almost worth the risk because OH my GOD he and Mario on the same line? Holy cow.

Somehow, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make this a poll. I clicked the box that says "Yes, post a poll with this thread," but that didn't work.

Haynesworth

BUT, the way he speaks of the Texans and Schaub we're probably the last team he'd be interested in. I suppose if we threw more cash at him than any other team he'd consider it, but I don't think we can afford it.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Also - could someone help me out on how to start a poll? I've been here a while, but right now I feel like such a noob! LOL

ObsiWan
12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't know.
First, I want to see the list of F/As who'll be available. If I can replace Brisiel with a road grader/better pass blocker, that's the move I'd make.
Asomugha would be a stud pickup but not if it means we can't re-sign any of our core guys.
Personally, I still don't think Fisher/Bud will let Haynesworth get out of Nashville.
I'd love to see the NYG let one of their 3-headed RB monster go. Jacobs or Ward or Bradshaw... I'd take either one as a compliment to Slaton. Although Bradshaw may be damaged goods

Leahmic223
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Nnamdi isn't a lock to be a Raider at all.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_11232645?source=rss

A big signing like either would keep Dunta around at least. I'd spend it on the CB though since we have some young guys stepping up in the Dline lately

Jackie Chiles
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM
If you do a poll of unattainable FAs from this year toss in Peppers. Between Aso and Haynesworth its Haynesworth for me. With him we immediately become a force against the run defensively and our sacks/pressures would skyrocket improving us against the pass significantly.

ArlingtonTexan
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Also - could someone help me out on how to start a poll? I've been here a while, but right now I feel like such a noob! LOL

1-New thread
2- Additional options
3- Post a poll (check box)

Thorn
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Needless to say, I'm not gonna support signing Hainsworth! LOL

That other guy looks pretty good.

JCTexan
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I would take Asomugha over Haynesworth. Haynesworth is a beast and would make our line better, but I can't stand him. Asomugha is one of the best corners & will likely shut down half the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nlEA8BUTQ

mexican_texan
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Asomugha. He's the type of character guy the FO loves.

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Asomugha. He's the type of character guy the FO loves.

Yes. If Aso shakes loose, invite him over for a T-Bone and 6 years $60 million.

TheRealJoker
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Tough call, Haynesworth would bring a mean streak to the team we sorely need.

But Aso is younger and would effectively shut down the opponent's best WR (providing we get a DC that doesn't assign each CB a specific side of the field).

I'd go with Aso because of the potential that Fat Albert would get lazy with the big contract.

spurstexanstros
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I think they should sign that great cover corner Spurstexanstros because when there is a punt in the air he will make sure it hits the other guy.(and he is cheap)

Mailman
12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
But Aso is younger

I thought the same thing. Fat Al does look old, doesn't he? He's only 27, the same age as Nnamdi.

mexican_texan
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
And AJ. You just called AJ old.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Neither. Haynesworth has only played 16 games once, and that was his rookie year.

We also don't need an expensive corner.

If I was spending big money in the off season it would be on Julius Peppers.

Thorn
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
If I was spending big money in the off season it would be on Julius Peppers.

I'd like to see that also, but they'll never let Peppers go.

Just the thought of that though......WOW!

steelbtexan
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Haynesworth

Because it would help our team & hurt the Tacks.

badboy
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I would prefer Aso. I would go hard after DE Will Smith New Orleans http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493067;Julius Peppers is interesting also.

As I do not think we will get any of these three and as I like Bulman, Cochran and DelJuan Robinson I would look to draft to fulfill my defense needs. I expect some guys on current roster to be gone but think Okoye, Okam, Nading(Kubes mentioned his play after Titans game) will all be back. Travis Johnson probable as he has relatively cheap contract at 5 years 10.2 million.

I think Brandon Graham DE 6' 3" 270 with reported 4.72 speed will be available in 2nd round.

TheRealJoker
12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
And AJ. You just called AJ old.

CBs and WRs normally have a longer shelf life than DTs.

Dread-Head
12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Haynesworth is an anus.

Mailman
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Sign Aso.

Draft Orakpo.

Kaiser Toro
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
If you want Dunta on this team, I do not see how we have more than one FA signing at the CB position, given our recent investments in the position - Reeves, Bennett and Molden. At the CB position, we sign Dunta, draft another CB and an S in my opinion.

Big Lou
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
NEITHER.

Our Secondary is starting to get better, other than needing a stud safety.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
If we were going to get one or the other I would personally choose Asomugha. I think he's an incredible CB just hitting his prime.

I think Haynesworth would do more for our defense/team when he's on the field, though. A DT like him would be crazy to have on the same line as Mario and would make Amobi/TJ and Bulman/Weaver instantly better. But I really dislike the person and player Haynesworth is. Call me close minded or a baby McNair, but I don't really want to see him as a Texan. When it comes to the quality of the person and the character... Big Al is near the bottom of the list.

Peppers would be a really interesting signing. If I'm not mistaken, I think he's one of Mario's idols? If we got Peppers in the offseason and then drafted a 1st round DT like BJ Raji... mayb a Safety in the 2nd round- our defense would be so good.

infantrycak
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
If you are talking about affect on the team and W/L record the hands down answer is Haynesworth.

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I would prefer Aso. I would go hard after DE Will Smith New Orleans http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493067

Smith Signed a 6 year $61.4m contract on November 6th.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Sign Aso.

Draft Orakpo.

How much draft capitol do you spend to move up and go get him ? and are you positive that Orakpo alone will get you into the AFC championship game next year ?

Look what happened to Jacksonville this year. Pocket Hercules and Fred Taylor didn't turn suckie over night. They over reached for DEs in the draft. Then what happened...they lost four....count them four guards and their rushing attack crashed and burned.

No one is a bigger Brain Orakpo fan than I am on the board. I started banging for him back in October....lot of draft capitol to spend on one guy to move up and go get him. Not saying you're wrong...just saying.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 02:11 PM
How much draft capitol do you spend to move up and go get him ? and are you positive that Orakpo alone will get you into the AFC championship game next year ?

Look what happened to Jacksonville this year. Pocket Hercules and Fred Taylor didn't turn suckie over night. They over reached for DEs in the draft. Then what happened...they lost four....count them four guards and their rushing attack crashed and buned.

No one is a bigger Brain Orakpo fan than I am on the board. I started banging for him back in October....lot of draft capitol to spend on one guy to move up and go get him. Not saying you're wrong...just saying.

Well, Harvey missed the ENTIRE training camp, and that made a difference in his development. Not saying it's NEARLY the reason Jax sucks this year, but for Harvey's development, it's huge. The Texans have a history of not having their rookies miss camp.

Also - I've read in a couple of places that Orakpo might drop to the second half of the first round, so we may not even have to trade up to get him... which of course we wouldn't do.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I can't believe so many people want to give huge free agent money to someone who hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2002.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, Harvey missed the ENTIRE training camp, and that made a difference in his development. Not saying it's NEARLY the reason Jax sucks this year, but for Harvey's development, it's huge. The Texans have a history of not having their rookies miss camp.

Also - I've read in a couple of places that Orakpo might drop to the second half of the first round, so we may not even have to trade up to get him... which of course we wouldn't do.

The one who is going to drop is Micheal Johnson once the DC's and the GMs start to watch the film. After the over priced safety, that is my second worse draft night mare.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I can't believe so many people want to give huge free agent money to someone who hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2002.

rep your way...thank you.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Clearly you're missing the spirit of the thread. I know we're not going to sign either guy, and truthfully I don't WANT either one at the price it would take. I'm more curious to see if people would want to roll the dice on Fat Al, or take what I think is the sure thing in Ndami.

I don't want to give huge FA money to Fat Al. I just wondered who people would want if we HAD to sign one of them.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Clearly you're missing the spirit of the thread. I know we're not going to sign either guy, and truthfully I don't WANT either one at the price it would take. I'm more curious to see if people would want to roll the dice on Fat Al, or take what I think is the sure thing in Ndami.

I don't want to give huge FA money to Fat Al. I just wondered who people would want if we HAD to sign one of them.

Fair enough. But it's not like it hasn't been discussed elsewhere on this board.

And regardless, that should make it Aso by default :)

badboy
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=threetoedpete;1078158]How much draft capitol do you spend to move up and go get him ? and are you positive that Orakpo alone will get you into the AFC championship game next year ?

Look what happened to Jacksonville this year. Pocket Hercules and Fred Taylor didn't turn suckie over night. They over reached for DEs in the draft. Then what happened...they lost four....count them four guards and their rushing attack crashed and burned.

No one is a bigger Brain Orakpo fan than I am on the board. I started banging for him back in October....lot of draft capitol to spend on one guy to move up and go get him. Not saying you're wrong...just saying.[/QUOTE I would be absolutely stunned if a trade up is done. In fact, I anticipate a re-do of last year. I just hope with same results.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=threetoedpete;1078158]How much draft capitol do you spend to move up and go get him ? and are you positive that Orakpo alone will get you into the AFC championship game next year ?

I would be absolutely stunned if a trade up is done. In fact, I anticipate a re-do of last year. I just hope with same results.

Agreed. I watched Brandon Alberts and Clady get plucked off the board last year....I have no illusions this year. We're out of range of the elite first step DE/athletic cover all three positions LB. Good thing I'm not the GM huh ?

Killer Bee
12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
For the purpose of the thread, I’d go with Asomugha. He’s a great character guy and would immensely improve a secondary. With Dunta and Asomugha going man to man, it would free up that extra second to allow the front seven to create havoc. With that said Haynesworth would probably provide more immediate improvement to our defense. I just can’t see him joining the good guy’s and getting along after all that bad blood.

Now what I expect to happen this off-season is that we resign Dunta and extend Owen and DeMeco’s contracts. Plus bring in some of the middle tier free agents. Now if we start cutting Greenwood or Weaver’s contracts that could put us in the market for a highly rated free agent.

badboy
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=badboy;1078206]

I would be absolutely stunned if a trade up is done. In fact, I anticipate a re-do of last year. I just hope with same results.

Agreed. I watched Brandon Alberts and Clady get plucked off the board last year....I have no illusions this year. We're out of range of the elite first step DE/athletic cover all three positions LB. Good thing I'm not the GM huh ?Do you have any feedback for me on DE Brandon Graham? You watch the college games much more than I and some sources such as Walters have him going to Houston in second. He appears very fast with good size.

TexanSam
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Tough one.

I'm not sure which would help this team more. It's obvious we need secondary help, but our D-line needs help as well.

I would have to Asomugha though.

We could have Dunta and Asomugha along with Bennett and Molden. I would be very happy with that.

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Haynesworth would be a no-brainer but that would all be contingent on him coming back near 100% from the MCL sprain he suffered v. the Texans.

I think it makes more sense than Aso for a lot of reasons but one easily justified reason is to get him off the Titans roster and handicap their team's future prospects of winning. I also think we have some young talent at DB that deserves a shot and I think Dunta may be easier to retain than Aso to lure.

I like both and if we get either, I just may go streaking through the quad in excitement.

Polo
12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't really want Haynesworth...I think he's a really good DT, but I don't want him...

I'd rather save some of the jack that'd we'd have to pay those kind of FA's and use it on our own guys who have earned it like Slaton, Daniels, Walter, Winston, ect...

Skip the highdollar FA's, re-sign our guys who have outplayed their contracts and will be looking for more money...

Sometimes I wish I could rep myself...

Earl34
12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't touch Haynesworth. Throughout his career, he has always been lazy. He has become one of the best DTs while playing for a long term contract. Once he has that big contract, I'm not sure he wouldn't return to his lazy ways.

Also, every season he has injury problems. I don't think he has played in 16 games since his rookie year. The guy is a reincarnation of Mo Taylor.

Polo
12-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Haynesworth returning to the tits doesn't scare me. I like Haynesworth on the Titans. A big dumb ass playing for a big dumb ass. Perfect

Texan JBZ
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't really want Haynesworth...I think he's a really good DT, but I don't want him...

I'd rather save some of the jack that'd we'd have to pay those kind of FA's and use it on our own guys who have earned it like Slaton, Daniels, Walter, Winston, ect...

Skip the highdollar FA's, re-sign our guys who have outplayed their contracts and will be looking for more money...

Sometimes I wish I could rep myself...

I'm with Polo. I'd rather give the money to guys on the Texans who've already paid their dues with the team instead of some high dollar free agent. Plus, Rick Smith can't sign Aso to the deal he is expecting and tell Dunta that he has to take less money, which is exactly what would happen. You can't pay three guys like #1 players at the same position. Forget Aso, give that money to Dunta.

Haynesworth is appealing, but who's to say that he gets the big money contract that he is about to get and continues to perform at the level he's performing at now? If the Texans go after any free agent, I'd prefer it be Terrell Suggs. I thought that they should have given Jevon Kearse a shot last offseason. Let Weaver walk and try and sign Suggs.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I like how Kubiak and Smith have been building the team up. I think we should stay away from high dollar multi year contracts until our team is pretty much built up with solid depth. We're still working on depth at every single position on our team (maybe save TE, WR and maaaybe CB) so I don't see the point of spending so much money on one player.

I've always been with the thought that when your depth is solid throughout the positions, your starters are set... you break the bank on that one player that makes the difference. That one superstud. The thing is if you do it this way, your team should be good enough that it's hard for that FA player to fail/bust. If your team isn't solid around him, he will have a harder time succeeding and then that is wasted money.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
To continue from my previous post...

Another thing about building your team up BEFORE signing a huge free agent is that it gives them more incentive to actually sign with your team. FA's want to (i) get paid and (ii) win a superbowl. They will flock to your team if you have a quality franchise heading to the playoffs.

Take Haynesworth for example. A big worry is that he gets paid and quits or becomes lazy. This is much less likely to happen if you have a really strong supporting cast around him. He's happy he got paid the big bucks. Now instead of being on a .500 team and being decent... he's on a playoff team that should be going to the superbowl. He wants a ring (they all do) and when your constantly on ESPN and hyped up to be such a great team... they play harder, they're more likely to go to the pro bowl etc. In other words, more likely to succeed than fail. Then that $$$ was worth it.

As texans fans we know how hard it is for players to make it to the pro bowl or even the playoffs.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Again - missing the point of the thread. I don't want either of them at the price it would take. I'm saying, if we were FORCED somehow to sign one or the other.

I'm a firm believer of taking care of the guys you have before all else. I'm in agreement there.

steelbtexan
12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
JBZ

I will take the best CB in the league over a 75% DR any day of the week.

I like DR but ASO is the better CB even if DR was 100%.

ASO is a major upgrade in talent & if we can upgrade we should do it.

I believe in taking care of our own first but not @ the expense of getting the best CB in the league.

Kulluminatii
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I would definitely pick Aso over fatty anyday, thats kind of obvious right*looks at avatar*:woot2? Aso just wants to play for a team that isn't dysfunctional. Yeah he will come at a cost, but I believe the cost is well worth what your getting. A top of the line CB that plays for the love of the game, kind of hard to find those type of players nowadays:thinking:

Texan JBZ
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
JBZ

I will take the best CB in the league over a 75% DR any day of the week.

I like DR but ASO is the better CB even if DR was 100%.

ASO is a major upgrade in talent & if we can upgrade we should do it.

I believe in taking care of our own first but not @ the expense of getting the best CB in the league.

If you believe that, then you're totally missing the value of D-Ta to this team. Dunta Robinson is not only the heart and soul of the defense - I believe he is the heart and soul of the entire team. No one wants to win more on gameday than D-Rob. He's a leader. You can't put a price tag on leadership. And sure, Nnamdi is a great player. But don't discount how good D-Rob is now. I think you're pushing it a little saying that you would take Nnamdi over D-Rob at 100%. Before the injury last year, Dunta was in the discussion as being the best CB in the league. He damn sure was playing like it. D-Rob has the heart of a champion. I'll take him any day over Nnamdi. I may be the only one that will, but that's aight with me.

toronto
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Speaking as a Titans fan, this is a no brainer. Look at the difference a great DT makes to a team. Seymour on NE, Jenkins @ NY, and Haynesworth is better than both of them.

I watched SF blow ridiculous $ on Nate Clements and PHI do the same on Asante Samuel, and has either club gotten better?

The best teams right now are strong in the trenches, and you would instantly become a very scary team to gameplan against with Haynesoworth in the middle and Williams getting no doubleteams.

That said, I suspect Fisher will force Bud to open up his wallet. He can't afford to lose him.

DiehardChris
12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
The Texans should at LEAST give the illusion of having a lot of interest, if for no other reason than to force a division opponent to overpay... then just hope he goes back to being better than average like he was before these two contract years.

toronto
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
The Texans should at LEAST give the illusion of having a lot of interest, if for no other reason than to force a division opponent to overpay... then just hope he goes back to being better than average like he was before these two contract years.

Jim Washburn should get a purple heart for turning Al into such a dominant factor. The guy was lazy and excuse-ridden almost since being drafted, then Washburn lit his ass up two years ago and got him to finally realize his potential.

kcdoubleeagle
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Are you guys kidding me? Who on this board wouldn't be jumping for joy if we somehow landed Fat Al in free agency this year? I mean come on.....Fat Al and Super Mario on the same line?

Not gonna happen...but man that would immediately make us a major force to be reckoned with....like him or not...Fat Al is the best DT I have seen in a very long time.

steelbtexan
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
If you believe that, then you're totally missing the value of D-Ta to this team. Dunta Robinson is not only the heart and soul of the defense - I believe he is the heart and soul of the entire team. No one wants to win more on gameday than D-Rob. He's a leader. You can't put a price tag on leadership. And sure, Nnamdi is a great player. But don't discount how good D-Rob is now. I think you're pushing it a little saying that you would take Nnamdi over D-Rob at 100%. Before the injury last year, Dunta was in the discussion as being the best CB in the league. He damn sure was playing like it. D-Rob has the heart of a champion. I'll take him any day over Nnamdi. I may be the only one that will, but that's aight with me.

Whose to say ASO couldn't be a leader.

Any scout will tell you ASO is better than DR but if you think DR leadership qualities make him the best CB in the league lets just say we will have to agree to disagree.

Allstar
12-17-2008, 05:15 AM
As much as I don't like him, I'd love to have Fat Albert's services on this team.

Mari-OWNED!
12-17-2008, 06:45 AM
I would not even feel slightly bad if the Texans decided to break the bank on Nnamdi Asomugha. I would give a 2nd round draft pick and a nice contract for this guy.

TEXANRED
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Haynesworth returning to the tits doesn't scare me. I like Haynesworth on the Titans. A big dumb ass playing for a big dumb ass. Perfect

I have to agree with this. Haynesworth is kinda the catalyst to the rivalry. He gives it a WWE feel. When you are watching his interviews and him talking smack you are hoping that Schaub is running up behind him with a steel chair and wacks him on the head with it. And then our OLine comes in and starts to stomp on him while he lays and the ground.

noxiousdog
12-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Are you guys kidding me? Who on this board wouldn't be jumping for joy if we somehow landed Fat Al in free agency this year? I mean come on.....Fat Al and Super Mario on the same line?

Not gonna happen...but man that would immediately make us a major force to be reckoned with....like him or not...Fat Al is the best DT I have seen in a very long time.

Not I. We'd be a force until he's suspended or hurt.

ObsiWan
12-17-2008, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't.
List me among those who do not wish to see our team stoop to hiring thugs just to win. Leave that to the Cowboys....
Granted he's one of the best at what he does but you can't tell me there aren't others out there who would be and upgrade over T.J. and Amobi....
Here's a list of DTs coming up this off-season per Scouts.com

Pos Rank Name Type Yr Ht/Wt Team
DT 1 Albert Haynesworth UFA 7 6-5/320 Titans
DT 2 Rocky Bernard UFA 7 6-3/290 Seattle
DT 3 Jovan Haye UFA 4 6-2/295 Tampa Bay
DT 4 John Thornton UFA 10 6-3/297 Cincinnati
DT 5 Tank Johnson UFA 5 6-3/300 Dallas
DT 6 La'Roi Glover UFA 13 6-2/285 St. Louis
DT 7 Larry Tripplett UFA 7 6-2/293 Seattle
DT 8 Kedric Golston RFA 3 6-4/292 Washington
DT 9 Shaun Cody UFA 4 6-3/290 Detroit
DT10 Darwin Walker UFA 9 6-3/294 Carolina
DT11 Mike Wright UFA 4 6-4/295 New England
DT12 Colin Cole UFA 4 6-2/325 Green Bay
DT13 Grady Jackson UFA 12 6-2/345 Atlanta
DT14 Gabe Watson UFA 3 6-4/340 Arizona
DT15 Ryan Sims UFA 7 6-4/315 Tampa Bay
DT16 Kenderick Allen UFA 5 6-5/330 Minnesota
DT17 James Reed UFA 8 6-0/286 New Orleans
DT18 Jimmy Kennedy UFA 5 6-4/320 Jacksonville
DT19 Jeff Zgonina UFA 6 6-2/290 Houston
DT20 Fred Evans RFA 3 6-4/305 Minnesota
DT21 Chris Cooper UFA 7 6-5/285 Seattle

And, again, I'm not sure he wouldn't go back to his former lazy self after getting the big payday. Plus, like 2nd Honeymoon said, he may be damaged goods after last Sunday

Mailman
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Albert Haynesworth's Pro-Bowl selection eliminates the possibility that the Titans could use the franchise tag on him again. Unless the Titans are able to sign him before the free agent market opens, he's gonna be a UFA.

ObsiWan
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Albert Haynesworth's Pro-Bowl selection eliminates the possibility that the Titans could use the franchise tag on him again. Unless the Titans are able to sign him before the free agent market opens, he's gonna be a UFA.

Maybe Detroit will sign him
:)

HOU-TEX
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Speaking as a Titans fan, this is a no brainer. Look at the difference a great DT makes to a team. Seymour on NE, Jenkins @ NY, and Haynesworth is better than both of them.

I watched SF blow ridiculous $ on Nate Clements and PHI do the same on Asante Samuel, and has either club gotten better?

The best teams right now are strong in the trenches, and you would instantly become a very scary team to gameplan against with Haynesoworth in the middle and Williams getting no doubleteams.

That said, I suspect Fisher will force Bud to open up his wallet. He can't afford to lose him.

I agree. IMO, games are won and lost in the trenches. I know it's an old cliche, but it's true. You have to build from the inside out.

I agree with SmithGM and Kubiak's philosophy of building through the draft and maybe grabbing a FA or two that might improve depth. Other than a C/G our Oline is set. So I'd like to see us spend a couple of picks on the Dline to strengthen the rotation. A 1st or second round DE and a second day DT.

toronto
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I agree. IMO, games are won and lost in the trenches. I know it's an old cliche, but it's true. You have to build from the inside out.

I agree with SmithGM and Kubiak's philosophy of building through the draft and maybe grabbing a FA or two that might improve depth. Other than a C/G our Oline is set. So I'd like to see us spend a couple of picks on the Dline to strengthen the rotation. A 1st or second round DE and a second day DT.

Furthering this, look at the rotations used by the Giants and Titans. The Giants lost two pro bowlers, one to retirement, one to a torn ACL, but were OK due to depth of 6/7 guys capable of coming and playing a productive 25/30 snaps - led by Justin Tuck of course. No one will accuse the Giants of having great cornerbacks/LBs, it's all masked by a good front 4 and their depth.

Same for the Titans. I know their secondary gets a lot of praise and I'm happy to have to Pro Bowlers, but it's a hell of a lot easier on them when the opposing QB has less time to go to a 2nd or 3rd read. And again, its the depth. Vickerson, Ball, Tony Brown, Jacob Ford, William Hayes. All guys drafted late or undrafted free agents that no one has heard of, yet they are able to step in for KVB and AH in a pinch.

I doubt they can stand up for an entire game like they will have to on Sunday or the following week, but they augment the star players just enough that assuming both KVB and AH are back for the divisional round, the team doesn't need the LBs or CBs/DBs to be perfect. It also means less requirements to blitz, which create havoc if the opposing team picks it up and has single coverage somewhere.

jamil
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
big al hands down over nnamdi. best DT hands down, and we get rid of that waste of space travis johnson.

i would learn to love him (already love his game) even after all the crap he talks about schaub and us... its understandable, we are a division rival after all.

HOU-TEX
12-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Furthering this, look at the rotations used by the Giants and Titans. The Giants lost two pro bowlers, one to retirement, one to a torn ACL, but were OK due to depth of 6/7 guys capable of coming and playing a productive 25/30 snaps - led by Justin Tuck of course. No one will accuse the Giants of having great cornerbacks/LBs, it's all masked by a good front 4 and their depth.

Same for the Titans. I know their secondary gets a lot of praise and I'm happy to have to Pro Bowlers, but it's a hell of a lot easier on them when the opposing QB has less time to go to a 2nd or 3rd read. And again, its the depth. Vickerson, Ball, Tony Brown, Jacob Ford, William Hayes. All guys drafted late or undrafted free agents that no one has heard of, yet they are able to step in for KVB and AH in a pinch.

I doubt they can stand up for an entire game like they will have to on Sunday or the following week, but they augment the star players just enough that assuming both KVB and AH are back for the divisional round, the team doesn't need the LBs or CBs/DBs to be perfect. It also means less requirements to blitz, which create havoc if the opposing team picks it up and has single coverage somewhere.

QFT!

I truly think the Texans are trying to do the same along the Dline. It's quite obvious with the 3 1st rounders, but 2 of them have yet to show 1st round talent. Whether it's poor scouting, coaching or just need more time to develope......I dunno, but we need to get'r fixed.

BigBull17
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes. If Aso shakes loose, invite him over for a T-Bone and 6 years $60 million.

I agree with this. Try to give Dunta a Reeves type deal and your nickle package is good.

BigBull17
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM

I dont know if it would work, but I would love to get a utility oline guy who is a road grader for the redzone/short yardage. Not a starter, but a backup g/c to come in and plow people.

Second Honeymoon
12-17-2008, 05:06 PM

exactly. make Bud pay a king's ransom to keep him. they have loads of cap space, but i am not as sure as some that Bud won't let Haynesworth leave Tennessee. I could see it happening. No doubt.

RipTraxx
12-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I kinda liked Tank Johnsons body of work when he got to dallas. True he got his spot taken but thats not b/c he did anything wrong. That Ratliff guy is playing lights out for him.

Tank reminds me a lot of amobi, quick interior lineman that can rush the passer.

Of COURSE this is if we dont get Haynesworth :d:

Texan JBZ
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Whose to say ASO couldn't be a leader.

Any scout will tell you ASO is better than DR but if you think DR leadership qualities make him the best CB in the league lets just say we will have to agree to disagree.

Really? Look, I know that as fans it's easy for us to get caught up in big name players, especially when they are about to become free agents. But just compare numbers on Dunta and Nnamdi this year:

Nnamdi: 37 Tackles, 1 FF, 9 Passes Defended, 1 Int

Dunta: 31 Tackles, 4 Passes Defended, 2 Int

And Dunta hasn't even played all season like Nnamdi. And before you go to the nobody throws at Nnamdi card, remember that the Texans have Petey Reeves starting across from Dunta. Hardly anyone throws at Dunta either. Plus, the x-factor in this whole discussion is that we as Texans fans know what we are going to get from Dunta when he gets the money. The previous history of big name free agent CBs getting huge deals and not producing the same is well noted. Bottom line is that before Dunta was injured last year at Oakland, he was playing as good or better than any other CB in the league. One more offseason, and he'll be all the way back to his normal self. Pay him instead.

dtran04
12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
We'll see if Nnamdi can shut down AJ. Coaches will definitely get a good look at him on film and gameday.

steelbtexan
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
You must like gambling

I stand by my above statements.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Is there any defensive player that you would trade DR for?

I think DR is a good DB not a great DB & that was before he got hurt.

He was an average cover guy & a great hitter. Now he is below a average cover guy (IMO) that we hope that he can regain his skills. Thats not a chance that I am wiiling to take if I have the chance to get the guy scouts say is the best CB in the league.

Repectfully

Steel B

Texan JBZ
12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
You must like gambling

I stand by my above statements.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Is there any defensive player that you would trade DR for?

I think DR is a good DB not a great DB & that was before he got hurt.

He was an average cover guy & a great hitter. Now he is below a average cover guy (IMO) that we hope that he can regain his skills. Thats not a chance that I am wiiling to take if I have the chance to get the guy scouts say is the best CB in the league.

Repectfully

Steel B

Wow! I respect your opinion, but to call D-Rob below average or average in any category is pushing it. And exactly what makes Nnamdi that much better than Dunta? They're putting up similar production and that's after the injury. And yes, Dunta was playing at an elite level before the injury. He's still trying to regain all of his form back which he will during the offseason. And no, there is not another CB I would trade Dunta for. Another defensive player? Well, yes if it's the right deal. But it's so hard to find good CBs in this league. That's why so many have been getting overpaid. Nate Clements, Drayton Florence, Asante Samuel just to name a few. We'll see just how good Nnamdi is this Sunday against Dre.

b0ng
12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Really? Look, I know that as fans it's easy for us to get caught up in big name players, especially when they are about to become free agents. But just compare numbers on Dunta and Nnamdi this year:

Stop. Just stop right there. If you think that stats are going to help you in this argument you're not really assessing how good of a player Asomogha is. He doesn't get thrown on hardly at all. QB's gameplan to just not throw to him because he is what is known as a "shutdown" corner. I want to say that QB's have an average of less than a 30% completion rate against Aso. He's sick. He's big. He's fast. If nobody is throwing on him, he's not going to be able to amass a huge amount of stats because he rarely gets the opportunity.

Look, it may sound like a lot of hype, and maybe he wouldn't do nearly as well in the Texans system, but the guy is absolutely fantastic in Oakland. It's not like Oakland DB's have a long history of being terrible (They're not, almost all of the great corners that you've ever heard of came from Oakland). Aso would upgrade this secondary quite a bit.

Now, you say that Dunta hardly gets thrown on, but we both know that that's baloney. QB's are trying to pick at him because they know he's a step slow, and he's had a few long completions done on him as well as some penalties.

Now I'm not for signing Aso because he's going to cost more money than I would want to see the Texans pay for his services. But trying to sell the guy short because he plays in oakland and doesn't accrue the numbers because he is rarely tested anymore is disingenuous. It's been a long time since there was a corner that was as talented as Aso running along the football fields.

And Andre Johnson has said on NUMEROUS occasions that Aso is his toughest match-up. He's faced him once a year for the last 3 years, so I'll trust him.

Texan JBZ
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
It just amazes me as Texans fans who've had the opportunity to watch D-Rob play over these past few years that we're now downgrading the guy just because some big name, hot free agent like Nnamdi is available. I remember how everybody in the city was clamoring for Nate Clements the same way. Look at what he's done in San Fran. What if Antonio Cromartie had been a free agent after last year? Look at what he's done this year. For my dollar, the best CB in the league is still a healthy Champ Bailey. Nnamdi is up there too, but so is D-Rob. The guy has been the ultimate soldier for the Texans. He's always brought his "A" game and is the ultimate competitor. And yeah, D-Rob may be a little bit slower right now because of the injury. But give him another offseason and he'll be back to the same ol D-Rob of old. It amazes me that he's even playing right now. That was a serious injury that he came back from. And that's more of a testament to his character. D-Rob has the heart of a lion. Nnamdi is a good player, but damn, the Texans already have a player just as good at that same position.

Goatcheese
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM
All you need to know about Aso: 8 receptions allowed in 14 games.

I like D-Rob alot, and I hope the Texans keep him. When healthy, he's at the top of the third tier of CBs in the NFL, with guys like Sheppard and Mathis. Aso is in a tier by himself though.

b0ng
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't think anybody is downgrading Robinson. I didn't think Clements or Samuels were the best corners in the league when they came out, they were just the best available in FA. I would think that this guy is probably the best in the league, and I would've said the same last year. It's not that Robinson is terrible, he's just not on the same level as Aso, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Aso has the height, weight, speed, and ball instincts advantage over Robinson. Robinson is a much more punishing tackler, but he doesn't have the physical gifts that Aso has. But really, for a comparison, it's like saying that John Henderson is not as good of a DT as Albert Haynesworth for whatever reason. Nobody is going to think Henderson is instantly terrible because he's not Haynesworth, but nobody would mistake one for the other on the field either.

I already said that I don't want Aso because he's going to want a truckload of money, but, he would be an instant upgrade and probably would make our secondary one of the strengths of the team (Because we'd have 2 competent players back there as opposed to the 1 we currently have in the different levels of defense).

dalemurphy
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
All you need to know about Aso: 8 receptions allowed in 14 games.

I like D-Rob alot, and I hope the Texans keep him. When healthy, he's at the top of the third tier of CBs in the NFL, with guys like Sheppard and Mathis. Aso is in a tier by himself though.

Well, teams run on them like an old toilet... Plus, half the time, a team is icing the game away by the 3rd quarter. Yes he's good. But when a team like Oakland is that bad, you simply don't mess around with challenging a good player like that- there's just no need.

I, frankly, don't want Haynesworth. Having said that, if we spend big money on someone, I want them to fill a position of weakness: C, DT, speed rusher, Safety. I'm acually very happy with our stable of corners. I think a better pass rush will really bare that out next year.

steelbtexan
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
No he is not just as good right now.

How can you be sure he will get back to what he was?

I know he has a great work ethic but I dont know of a CB that has fully come back from an injury like his.

Are you saying if push comes to shove you would be willing to pay top dollar to DR in FA to keep him if another team offered him big money? Even though he may never be 100% healthy again.

Texan JBZ
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him in a Texans uni either. Problem is, Demeco is about set to re-up. So is D-Rob. I'd love to have Nnamdi and D-Rob starting at CB for the Texans, but they can't pay both guys like #1 CBs. Smith overpayed for Petey Reeves, but he's done better lately. I'd much rather have Suggs than any other free agent out there. And I think D-Rob is going to have a lot of you choking on crow by this time next year.

b0ng
12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him in a Texans uni either. Problem is, Demeco is about set to re-up. So is D-Rob. I'd love to have Nnamdi and D-Rob starting at CB for the Texans, but they can't pay both guys like #1 CBs. Smith overpayed for Petey Reeves, but he's done better lately. I'd much rather have Suggs than any other free agent out there.

From what I heard on the radio both Demeco and OD are going to re-up in the next month or so.

And really I don't know about Suggs either. I want to stay away from 3-4 OLB's like the plague because of the differences in systems. I think Peppers would be a much better fit here because he plays 4-3 DE, but he is also going to get offered a lot of money, which makes me wary.

Goatcheese
12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, teams run on them like an old toilet... Plus, half the time, a team is icing the game away by the 3rd quarter. Yes he's good. But when a team like Oakland is that bad, you simply don't mess around with challenging a good player like that- there's just no need.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Teams have still attempted more than 400 passes against Oakland. 8 of them landed in his man's hands.

Texan JBZ
12-17-2008, 10:06 PM
From what I heard on the radio both Demeco and OD are going to re-up in the next month or so.

And really I don't know about Suggs either. I want to stay away from 3-4 OLB's like the plague because of the differences in systems. I think Peppers would be a much better fit here because he plays 4-3 DE, but he is also going to get offered a lot of money, which makes me wary.

Yeah, I heard that too. I like Suggs because he is versatile. He's got the size to play 4-3 DE. He's the same size as Osi Umenyiora. Plus his versatility and athleticism would open the defense up. Peppers would be the dream free agent, but he's going to be as expensive as Nnamdi.

steelbtexan
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I hope you are right.

I would love for DR to make the pro-bowl & eating crow will be a pleasure.

I hope I'm wrong.

leebigeztx
12-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Nmandi is the best corner in the league, hands down. Haynesworth is the best lineman in thee league. When I listen to him , its going to be hard to gett him from titans. Nmandi is free and can't be franchisedd by raiders. Another guy is Suggs. Can't be franchised by the ravens and will get u 10-12 sacks a yr.

ChampionTexan
12-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Nmandi is the best corner in the league, hands down. Haynesworth is the best lineman in thee league. When I listen to him , its going to be hard to gett him from titans. Nmandi is free and can't be franchisedd by raiders. Another guy is Suggs. Can't be franchised by the ravens and will get u 10-12 sacks a yr.

Why can't Suggs and Asomugha be franchised?

Texan JBZ
12-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Why can't Suggs and Asomugha be franchised?

Both got franchised this year by their teams. I don't know quite how franchise tags work, but I don't think that the Ravens or Raiders can franchise them again next year. I believe that franchise tags can only be for one year.

ChampionTexan
12-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Both got franchised this year by their teams. I don't know quite how franchise tags work, but I don't think that the Ravens or Raiders can franchise them again next year. I believe that franchise tags can only be for one year.

The limit on franchising a player is three times - unless there's an agreement to the contrary. That's why Haynesworth negotiated the incentives which when reached prohibit the Titans from franchising him a second time.

Texan JBZ
12-18-2008, 01:32 AM
The limit on franchising a player is three times - unless there's an agreement to the contrary. That's why Haynesworth negotiated the incentives which when reached prohibit the Titans from franchising him a second time.

I don't think either player will be franchised this year though. Nnamdi will get at least $10-11 million next year if he is, and Fat Al will probably get similar numbers. Most players only get franchised once before they sign their deals.

ChampionTexan
12-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't think either player will be franchised this year though. Nnamdi will get at least $10-11 million next year if he is, and Fat Al will probably get similar numbers. Most players only get franchised once before they sign their deals.

I'm not saying they will either - I'm only questioning the statement that said they can't be. I don't believe it's correct, or if it is, I don't understand why.

leebigeztx
12-18-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm not saying they will either - I'm only questioning the statement that said they can't be. I don't believe it's correct, or if it is, I don't understand why.

All 3 signed franchise tags with exceptions that if they made the pro bowl, they couldn't get franchised again. I think carolina will have a hard time with peppers also. If they franchise him, he's guaranteed to make 110% of his salary which puts him at 17m. That's why if they franchis him, he'll sign that quick. If they use it again next yr, you're looking at 25m. When top draft picks get franchised, its a huge,huge payday.

Those that think suggs is only a 3-4 guy haven't been watching. He's really a 4-3 de. Their defense morphs some, but he mostly lines up and rushes the passer from the re. Mario has stated he feels better at le. If u put T-Sizzle opposite of mario, ur talking about 4 man pressure without blitzing. That gives u 7 in coverage. Cochran coming back next yr will also help. He's 25 or so and can fulfill a 6 yr deal. He and nmandi are probably the safe pickups. All 3 would push houston defense into the top 10, but the giants and steelers have shown u don't need high paid "lockdown" corners to be a very good defense. The pressure from the front four can solve a lot of db woes. When Chris McCallister gets cut, the Texans should sign him and play him at safety next to wilson. Similar to what Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson did to finish their careers. He's a good enough tackler and would allow u to stay base in a 3 or Y-flex packages. His range and ball hawking along with wilson would make this defense incredible.

Grams
12-18-2008, 05:35 AM
I think Hanesworth has hit his incentives so the Titans cannot fanchise him this year.

While he has played very well last year and this year, he has been playing for the $$$. Once he has it, will he revert back to being lazy and just ok like a lot of other players? A team pays them big money then they seem to disappear again.

Would rather pay big money on someone who has been good all the time, not just good during a contract year.

ChampionTexan
12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
All 3 signed franchise tags with exceptions that if they made the pro bowl, they couldn't get franchised again. I think carolina will have a hard time with peppers also. If they franchise him, he's guaranteed to make 110% of his salary which puts him at 17m. That's why if they franchis him, he'll sign that quick. If they use it again next yr, you're looking at 25m. When top draft picks get franchised, its a huge,huge payday.

I haven't read or heard anything about a Pro-bowl exemption for Suggs or Asomugha. In fact, the SF Chronicle was reporting after the Pro-bowl selections on Tuesday that Asomugha may still be franchised.

The Raiders placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugha last season, giving him a $9.765 million contract. The Raiders could try to sign Asomugha to a long-term deal after the season or choose to use the franchise tag again, which would guarantee him about $11.7 million in 2009.

SF Chronicle Article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/12/16/sports/s173624S36.DTL&type=49ers)

Also, I know where the $17 Million comes from for Peppers, but how are you getting to $25 Million for 2010?

Mr PC
12-18-2008, 03:21 PM
got to be Haynesworth, he is so disruptive and would be a great fit for the Texans. His power next to Okoye's speed would be deadly, and it would free up Mario as well.