PDA

View Full Version : Dunta- keep him or let him go?

badboy
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Fan favorite cornerback Dunta Robinson brings fire but has he done enough to get the contract offer that will keep him in Houston? Is he only going to keep Bennett from getting the reps he needs or will the off season help DR be back to pre-injury form in 2009? How may bucks will it take to sign him and does Rick Smith say keep this big hearted player?

The bucks to sign him could go along way towards a certain FA DE some are dreaming about. I will keep focus on him last 2 games.

Dread-Head
12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
keep him...let Faggins go...PLEASE let Faggins go!

Double Barrel
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Keep him. Even if he's lost any step with his injury, his veteran leadership is needed in the lockerroom. Plus, I think he'll be back up to form by next season after he gets a full off-season to condition and work out.

badboy
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
How many dollars bills?

Texan_Bill
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I've never thought that Dunta was the greatest thing next to cold beer BUT, for being a younger guy, it's become quite obvious that he is the defensive leader on the field. He's as good as having an on-field coach. Get him signed.

noxiousdog
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
How many dollars bills?

Exactly.

nunusguy
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
How many dollars bills?
That's the question, the issue.
We all want to keep him but at what cost ?

Dread-Head
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
He's pro bowl caliber...we need him. Lose the deadwood that DOESN'T perform. You build a secondary AROUND guys like Robinson.

HJam72
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Right now I'm thinking incentive-ladeled contract (out of concern about health, NOT effort), but I need to see how things go these last two games.

powerfuldragon
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
He's pro bowl caliber...we need him.

i dunno about that. don't get me wrong, he's the best player in our secondary by far... but pro-bowl caliber? maybe as an alternate or something.

powerfuldragon
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Just realized i never answered the question this thread poses. Keep him. for sure, keep him in houston.

Hervoyel
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
You keep him and try to come to some sort of agreement that lets him opt-out in a few years once he's had a season back at 100% (or that lets you opt out if he can't come all the way back). That way either side can trigger a renegotiation based on real world performance.

In an ideal world that's what I do. My heart tells me to go ahead and pay the man though. He'll be good to go next year and he is the heart of our defense. If Mario is the star and DeMeco is the guy who holds the middle together then Dunta is the heart. We need him. We once had a guy back there who was IMO "the heart" of the secondary in Aaron Glenn and we let him go because Philip Buchanon was faster. We destroyed our secondary to get faster and we were wrong. We don't want to make that same mistake again.

HJam72
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
You keep him and try to come to some sort of agreement that lets him opt-out in a few years once he's had a season back at 100% (or that lets you opt out if he can't come all the way back). That way either side can trigger a renegotiation based on real world performance.

In an ideal world that's what I do. My heart tells me to go ahead and pay the man though. He'll be good to go next year and he is the heart of our defense. If Mario is the star and DeMeco is the guy who holds the middle together then Dunta is the heart. We need him. We once had a guy back there who was IMO "the heart" of the secondary in Aaron Glenn and we let him go because Philip Buchanon was faster. We destroyed our secondary to get faster and we were wrong. We don't want to make that same mistake again.

Excellent point.

GlassHalfFull
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Quite frankly, I don't even know why this question is being asked. Keep him. :d:

Ole Miss Texan
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Tricky question. Dunta is a fan favorite and should be a part of the identity of our defense. He brings so much passion, effort and drive to the locker room, field and sidelines that it's almost irreplaceable.

With that said, there is a cut off. I don't know what that is though. Pre injury, Dunta was one of the best CB's in the league. Post injury is a different story. Is he or will he be good enough to be our #1 CB or is he a #2 CB? How does our staff like the combination of Reeves and Dunta out there? How has Bennett progressed? yadda yadda yadda.

As much as I like Dunta, he isn't a top 5 CB in the league so I'm not sure why we would be willing to franchise him and pay him $10 million for next season. I think we need to offer him a fair contract, maybe something like 2-3 years with most of the money weighted towards year 2 and 3 to see how he properly heals. At the same time, maybe we should know enough about his injury to make a complete decision. If he's not up to 100% why wait longer, or if he is at 100% then that should make our decision easier as to lay more money on the table or let him go.

I will tell you that I would be highly disappointed if he gets one of these 6 year $60 million deals or something unless the Texans are sure he's going to be a complete stud and allpro for years to come.

:texflag:

badboy
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Right now I'm thinking incentive-ladeled contract (out of concern about health, NOT effort), but I need to see how things go these last two games.Don't you think other teams may whisper in his ear "More dollars over here"? I think Smith will offer a contract as you indicate, but this was to be the contract to set Dunta up for life. It may be asking the Texans a lot to step up against a FA offer. I can't blame DR for looking to his future but the Texans have to watch the bottom line also. Hopefully, he will give us a lot of reasons in next two games to keep him.

ChampionTexan
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I think between the injury, and the fact that Dunta's skills are a bit overstated on this board (I agree with Powerful Dragon's take), the interest - or more specifically the money - that will be offered to him by any of the other 31 NFL teams this off-season won't be off the charts.

I also agree with Herv's characterization of him as the heart (and I would add soul) of the defense, and very much agree with his comparison to Aaron Glenn's departure.

To me, that means he's far more valuable to the Texans than any other team in the NFL, and as such, they should be able to come to an agreement that will not necessitate the use of the franchise tag. Probably short-term and/or including lots of incentives, but I can't see any other team paying him what he's worth to us during this off-season.

HJam72
12-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't you think other teams may whisper in his ear "More dollars over here"? I think Smith will offer a contract as you indicate, but this was to be the contract to set Dunta up for life. It may be asking the Texans a lot to step up against a FA offer. I can't blame DR for looking to his future but the Texans have to watch the bottom line also. Hopefully, he will give us a lot of reasons in next two games to keep him.

Yes, I'm worried about it, but I kind of agree with the following:

I think between the injury, and the fact that Dunta's skills are a bit overstated on this board (I agree with Powerful Dragon's take), the interest - or more specifically the money - that will be offered to him by any of the other 31 NFL teams this off-season won't be off the charts.

I also agree with Herv's characterization of him as the heart (and I would add soul) of the defense, and very much agree with his comparison to Aaron Glenn's departure.

To me, that means he's far more valuable to the Texans than any other team in the NFL, and as such, they should be able to come to an agreement that will not necessitate the use of the franchise tag. Probably short-term and/or including lots of incentives, but I can't see any other team paying him what he's worth to us during this off-season.

I see Dunta as the type of guy who isn't the slightest bit afraid of incentives. Give him LOTS of incentives and he'll nail every one of them....unless his health never returns completely.

jerek
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Keep him. Even if he's lost any step with his injury, his veteran leadership is needed in the lockerroom. Plus, I think he'll be back up to form by next season after he gets a full off-season to condition and work out.

What DB said.

nunusguy
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
FA is just like the college Draft in the sense that it only takes one team to think enough of a player to draft him very high and be willing to pay him what all other teams think is an utterly outragous amount of money.

ATX
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
:spit:

Keep him

HJam72
12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
FA is just like the college Draft in the sense that it only takes one team to think enough of a player to draft him very high and be willing to pay him what all other teams think is an utterly outragous amount of money.

We're going to need to put a dollar figure on what he's worth to us--keeping the salary cap in mind. That's going to be a problem for me, because I don't keep up with all of that. All I can say is that I very much want to keep him, but we do have a salary cap, his health is somewhat of a question, and he is not one of the top three players on this team anymore--not even if he gets all his health back.

ChampionTexan
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, and if one team views him as a franchise type CB, then we're probably going to lose him. My point is that because he was not pro-bowl caliber before (although I agree he was close), and he's got a little bit of uncertainty regarding his health, I think there's an excellent chance that "one team" will not exist.

Ckw
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
We're going to need to put a dollar figure on what he's worth to us--keeping the salary cap in mind. That's going to be a problem for me, because I don't keep up with all of that. All I can say is that I very much want to keep him, but we do have a salary cap, his health is somewhat of a question, and he is not one of the top three players on this team anymore--not even if he gets all his health back.

He is one of our top 3 defensive players just because of the heart, excitement, and passion he brings to the game. Like others have said, he is like having a coach on the field.

Jackie Chiles
12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
We'll keep him one way or another. If he signs a long term contract with us I'm sure a lot of people here and elsewhere will say we overpaid for him but good players get paid, end of story. The salary cap is increasing every year (uncapped soon?) and with it the salaries of individual players. As long as we stay away from FA clunkers such as Weaver and Greenwood we should never have a problem retaining all of our quality players as long as they are willing to negotiate with us.

mattieuk
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
We keep him. We have to pay for it, but loyal, pro-bowl calibre players don't grow on trees (or grow out of FA signings in our case...).

noxiousdog
12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I will tell you that I would be highly disappointed if he gets one of these 6 year $60 million deals or something unless the Texans are sure he's going to be a complete stud and allpro for years to come.

:texflag:

I think you could structure a 6 year 60 that would be worth while.

Say a 15m signing bonus and 15 million in year 6 that he would never see (cut him or renegotiate).

That leaves you with 2.5 per year in annualized bonus, and 45 million in salary over 5 that you can back end with salary cap escalation.

Maybe a little high, but certainly not terrible.

False Start
12-15-2008, 05:15 PM
We have to keep him. Its apparent that his presence has had had an impact on this defensive unit. He has something money cant buy, and thats leadership. Hes the heart and soul of this defense and this franchise IMO. :texflag:

TEXANS84
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Keep him for sure. He's the heart of our defense.

Let Travis Johnson walk. I was so impressed by Deljuan Robinson yesterday and the Jags game, we may have found a diamond in the rough.

False Start
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Keep him for sure. He's the heart of our defense.

Let Travis Johnson walk. I was so impressed by Deljuan Robinson yesterday and the Jags game, we may have found a diamond in the rough.

It looks like TJ has found a few twinkies in the rough. :heh:

Texan JBZ
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
This is a no-brainer. You keep D-Ta. You can't put a price tag on leadership. I don't think it's any coincidence that the defense got better once he got back on the field full-time. He's so competitive that it just fuels everyone around him. Smith will get it done. D-Ta will be a Texan for many years to come.:texflag:

PapaL
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
You keep your best corner. End of story.

maddogmrb
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
:sarcasm:

Why keep him? We have Faggins and Reeves....

Goldensilence
12-15-2008, 06:18 PM
This definitely has the possibility to be a heart breaker for Texan fans. The problem I keep coming to is prior to the injury was Dunta a top 5 guy? Was he in line for a contract like Samuel or Clements? The injury has definitely changed the dynamics of that situation and Dunta, to his credit, put forth a LOT of effort to get back on the field this year. What is that worth contractually?

Personally I'd like to see a one year deal with escalators to make sure we're not going to get bogged down in an expensive deal for a player that doesn't make it back to form. After that I'm fine with a long term deal.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I say make the man a more than fair offer, but don't break the bank. If another team wants him that badly, we just made it cost enough for them to REALLY think about. I don't see anyone throwing around money for FA CB's like they have the last couple of years. Maybe a down economy couldhave an upside for us?

Norg
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
like all the players and coaching staff included

iam sure Kubes will evulate himself and everybody and she what he should do

IMO there is no question u let special players like that go

his he the best CB in the league NO there are alot more players better then him is he the worst not by a long shot

Texanballer
12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Isnt the question whether he wants to stay or leave?

We can decide to bring him back but that dosent mean he wants to.

I hope the titans win will keep him in houston.

I remember when we were 3-7 the chronicle said we would let him walk

Double Barrel
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Mario is the muscle, DeMeco is the brains, and D.Rob is the heart of this defense. :texflag:

ObsiWan
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
you keep him and try to come to some sort of agreement that lets him opt-out in a few years once he's had a season back at 100% (or that lets you opt out if he can't come all the way back). That way either side can trigger a renegotiation based on real world performance.

In an ideal world that's what i do. My heart tells me to go ahead and pay the man though. He'll be good to go next year and he is the heart of our defense. If mario is the star and demeco is the guy who holds the middle together then dunta is the heart. we need him. We once had a guy back there who was imo "the heart" of the secondary in aaron glenn and we let him go because philip buchanon was faster. We destroyed our secondary to get faster and we were wrong. We don't want to make that same mistake again.
qft!!

ObsiWan
12-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Isnt the question whether he wants to stay or leave?

We can decide to bring him back but that dosent mean he wants to.

I hope the titans win will keep him in houston.

I remember when we were 3-7 the chronicle said we would let him walk

....Bud, is that you?

Andrew6
12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
is this a serious question. Really? I mean Really? This is a no brainer.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
....Bud, is that you?
I love that avatar. Samuel L Jackson with a light saber just cracks me up for some reason. Kinda like casting Danny DeVito as a superhero or something.

leebigeztx
12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I think they should keep him, but notat all cost. I'm working off Tillman deal from the bears. So I'm looking at 15m guaranteed over 6 yrs. The 1st 3 has roster bonuses and his total annual salary at 6m per. So that's 2.7m in bonus andd 3.3 in salary. 6 yrs 36m with 15m guaranteed. He'll sign that tommorrow.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I think they should keep him, but notat all cost. I'm working off Tillman deal from the bears. So I'm looking at 15m guaranteed over 6 yrs. The 1st 3 has roster bonuses and his total annual salary at 6m per. So that's 2.7m in bonus andd 3.3 in salary. 6 yrs 36m with 15m guaranteed. He'll sign that tommorrow. Looks good at a glance.

ensign_lee
12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
This cannot be a serious question.

You KEEP Dunta. Do you see how our defense is playing now? Did you happen to notice that just about coincided with his return?

He is MUCH too good to just let walk, and he doesn't seem to be the type that would want ridiculous amounts of money (think Asante Samuels money) just to stay.

You keep the heart of your defense, lest you lose all passion from your team.

Joe Texan
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I will not waste my time on this thread except to say I am thinking about dropping BadBoy for trying to start a message board riot

edo783
12-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I think they should keep him, but notat all cost. I'm working off Tillman deal from the bears. So I'm looking at 15m guaranteed over 6 yrs. The 1st 3 has roster bonuses and his total annual salary at 6m per. So that's 2.7m in bonus andd 3.3 in salary. 6 yrs 36m with 15m guaranteed. He'll sign that tommorrow.

Probably the right approach, just might have to swizzle the numbers a bit. Have to keep him IMO, but can't get ridiculous about it.

gary
12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Keep him hands down.

The1ApplePie
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Offer him just over nickelback pay and see if he stays. Either that or transition him to FS

As much as I love the guy, he wasn't top-five pre-injury, let alone now.

Joe Texan
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
We must throw the pie out it too old

imatexan
12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Dunta brings something that not many other players do:
HEART!

This guy is awsome! Keeeeeeeep him no doubt!

He has been back 4 games, guess what?
We won all 4 games!

Goatcheese
12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
The Giants just gave Webster 5 years $43 million. That would be the absolute ceiling for me, and it would need to be performance based, with a team option after 3 years.

euro-Texan
12-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Will he be a RFA or UFA?

Goatcheese
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Ufa

infantrycak
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
will he be a rfa or ufa?

ufa

euro-Texan
12-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Either way Dunta has always impressed me on the field and with his fire in the locker room after they loose a game. I like to see a player get mad win his team looses, but the one thing that makes him stand out to me is the hard hitting. It's something we need on this team.

Wolf6151
12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
is this a serious question. Really? I mean Really? This is a no brainer.

My sentiments exactly...

Goatcheese
12-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Did anyone else see the clip of D-Rob walking off the field after Sundays win? He seemed to be saying that he fully intends to be back next season.

barrett
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Either way Dunta has always impressed me on the field and with his fire in the locker room after they loose a game. I like to see a player get mad win his team looses, but the one thing that makes him stand out to me is the hard hitting. It's something we need on this team.

not to mention he's a sure tackler. he and demeco are clearly the best tacklers on the team. i certainly hope that they can come to an agreement. i do believe that robinson wants to come back here but i would understand if someone gives him a payday he can't refuse. by the same token i think rick smith wants him back here but might not be willing to give him a payday he can't refuse. understandably so. i agree with what some have said that he may be worth more to us than other teams in the league and i do believe the winston deal this year made it clear that we want to retain our solid players. i expect them to pay him very well but not absurdly. i just don't know if some other team will offer him the absurd amount.

Wolf
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
like DB,herv and others have said.. He is the HEART of this team on defense

No brainer

If the Texans decide not to keep him ,I'd be suprised

unless someone offers him something that we just can't match

Specnatz
12-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Fan favorite cornerback Dunta Robinson brings fire but has he done enough to get the contract offer that will keep him in Houston? Is he only going to keep Bennett from getting the reps he needs or will the off season help DR be back to pre-injury form in 2009? How may bucks will it take to sign him and does Rick Smith say keep this big hearted player?

The bucks to sign him could go along way towards a certain FA DE some are dreaming about. I will keep focus on him last 2 games.

Just to throw http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/fan-hits.gif and see what sticks. What if you had to chose between D-Rob or Nnamdi Asomugha, what do you do?

:user:

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 03:15 AM

Franchised....At eight or nine million ? Inquiring minds wish to know. Hey I don't care one way or the other. This has been around the corner for a while now....I pointed it out last October. I'm just glad I'm not the one making the call. they are clearly better with him on the Field. Eight or nine million. Top five money...franchise tag money, don't know about that one though.

Mr Smith is going to be asking himself: Is he worth eight or nine million every year ? Or do I let him test the free agent waters ? And will the fans go berserk if we lose him ? Have you seen enough to tie up thirty million with a nice cap hit for his bonus money ?

Which year did he have a top five ranking in ints ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5535
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=int&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=int&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006

another question....if we do lose him to FA, will we receive a #1 pick from the singing team in 2010 ?

No one holds the edge on a rushing play better than Robinson. Just don't know if the three or four INTs every season is worthy of thirty to seventy million bucks.

The bigger question is what will Robinson sign for ? Reeves money ? Less ? And at what point do you let him walk and take the pick ?

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 07:56 AM

No chance Dunta signs for that. Reeves signed for $20 over 5. 8 guaranteed.

Terrance Newman on 5/20/2008 Signed a six-year, $50.2 million contract extension through 2014. The deal contains $22.5 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. (per rotoworld)

Dunta's every bit as good as Newman and is younger.

Kaiser Toro
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
He has never been a top 5 player at his position and has consistently been part of a poor secondary and defense over his career. Do not franchise him, go with a signing bonus that puts him in the top 8-10 CB contracts as of late and go heavy on incentives.

The Texans for the first time have the ability to leverage their standing, and the market's, in their current situation - player coming off injury, no state income tax in a bad economy, team on the rise, the bad economy will deflate the FA market, etc.

Dunta has heart, is vocal and his teammates apparently respond to him. Can't say that about many folks in the Texans' history. This deal will get done, I just hope it gets done the right way. Since it is McNair's money, a USC alum, and another USC alum in Robinson, I believe that things will be worked out for all.

Please do not franchise him, that should not even be on the table. If he is franchised, then re-assign the GM immediately.

WesmanTexanfan
12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
This is an offensive question, there are way to many reasons to keep him. oh besdes the fact that when he is out there he IS the heart and soul of our Defense....

Buffi2
12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
You don't do heart transplant surgery when the heart is still functioning - not easy to find another heart. This team is just beginning to get it all together - getting rid of Robinson would be a setback which is the very last thing we need. We keep the kid even if it means losing out on Asomugha.

Goatcheese
12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I could see the Texans tagging Robinson if they can't work out a deal, and letting him do what Orlando Pace did. Shop around for a trade, and establish his price. Then either match the contract, or do the trade.

I don't see it being an issue though. The Texans almost never lose key freeagents, because the guys like playing here. Johnson was just talking about how close they are as a team, and as a family. D-Rob is right at the heart of that.

"The week after Thanksgiving everyone was talking about what they were thankful for in the chapel service," Johnson said. "It was shocking to me because other than the guys' kids or family, the first thing that came out of their mouths was this team."

That's what Johnson wanted to remind his teammates Sunday.

"I was just telling everybody about that, even the ones who weren't there (at the chapel service), I was letting them know that the guys here are thankful for their teammates," Johnson said. "I think it's been shown over the past month that guys are giving it up for the team. It's not about one guy. It's about everybody. We've been able to go out and get the job done."

:heart:

Dread-Head
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
You keep your best corner. End of story.

Thank you coupled with the fact that the guy is one of the hardest hitters out there. You WANT receivers and Tight ends to fear a guy who can flatten them the way Robinson can. He gets into the heads of offenses. Letting him go isn't EVEN an option. Besides...I like his hair.

...see now Khari, THIS is one of those times when a "Dreadhead" Smiley would REALLY help a brotha illustrate a point here. I mean come on Showtime and Ted-C have one...

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you coupled with the fact that the guy is one of the hardest hitters out there. You WANT receivers and Tight ends to fear a guy who can flatten them the way Robinson can. He gets into the heads of offenses. Letting him go isn't EVEN an option. Besides...I like his hair.

...see now Khari, THIS is one of those times when a "Dreadhead" Smiley would REALLY help a brotha illustrate a point here. I mean come on Showtime and Ted-C have one...

So, you'd pay him 15m per year?

Hervoyel
12-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Why not? We've spent so much bad money on so many guys who've done nothing for our team that we could easily afford Dunta by just not signing anymore Ahman Green's or Anthony Weavers. Everybody overpays for somebody in this league. The bad teams overpay for the wrong players.

This time lets not make that mistake. Dunta is a guy you pay.

infantrycak
12-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Where does $15 mil come from? The franchise number is $9.4 mil.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Where does $15 mil come from? The franchise number is $9.4 mil.

I'm just speaking to those that would sign him at any cost.

See: Hervoyel's reply to my post.

Hervoyel
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm just speaking to those that would sign him at any cost.

See: Hervoyel's reply to my post.

I didn't know what the franchise number was and assumed you did. That's a far cry from wanting to sign him at any cost. My meaning was clear enough I thought but if it wasn't then let me clarify. I'd sign him for the franchise player price if need be. I think he's worth paying like a top corner because of the effect he has on the players around him as well as the level of play he delivers.

noxiousdog
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to franchise him at 9 unless there's no one else available and you're just using available cap space, or you're just working out the details for an extention.

5-7 is probably the number you want to slot him in at.

Dread-Head
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM

How much is Schlaub makin' again?

badboy
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
He has never been a top 5 player at his position and has consistently been part of a poor secondary and defense over his career. Do not franchise him, go with a signing bonus that puts him in the top 8-10 CB contracts as of late and go heavy on incentives.

The Texans for the first time have the ability to leverage their standing, and the market's, in their current situation - player coming off injury, no state income tax in a bad economy, team on the rise, the bad economy will deflate the FA market, etc.

Dunta has heart, is vocal and his teammates apparently respond to him. Can't say that about many folks in the Texans' history. This deal will get done, I just hope it gets done the right way. Since it is McNair's money, a USC alum, and another USC alum in Robinson, I believe that things will be worked out for all.

Please do not franchise him, that should not even be on the table. If he is franchised, then re-assign the GM immediately.This comes closest to my position. I would like to see McNair take Dunta to dinner and say "We love you. You are the heart of the d and we want you around. We paid you while you could not play and we respect the way you rehabbed to come back. I'll give you $5 million up front and a heavy incentive ladened 1st year contract. If you are back, you will make the cash. It is all up to you. I'll back load the 2nd year with another bonus like I did with Carr and Schaub. Plus I am going to put statue of you in front of Reliant. Shake if we have a deal."

IMO a $5m bonus and up to another $5m in 1st year possible should do the deal. After the 2nd year, the contract can say anything you want it to. I, also, want to reward "heart" but to what dollar amount? This process is like going to arbitration in baseball with one of your guys. You basically have to point out all his difficiencies or you get to pay out the wazoo.

My understanding a "transition player"designation may be attached with the player receiving a 20% increase or the avg of top 10 at his position whichever is greater. I don't think Texans have ever franchised a player.

Interesting info on FA from last seasonhttp://www.thefootballexpert.com/nflfreeagencycornerbacks080001.html

RipTraxx
12-16-2008, 11:21 AM
IMO this is not even an issue....

The key to great franchises is NOT LETTING YOUR GOOD PLAYERS GO. Rick Smith actually said that in an interview a while back.

Sure he may have lost a step...but considering there was a chance he could have NOT EVER PLAYED again. And what he's done for our defense, whether it be body of work, or simply just the leadership and attitude, since he's been back. KEEP HIM

Brandon420tx
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Dunta Statue!!
:drool:

Fans can run full speed into it and feel whats its like to be hit by Dunta Robinson

tedr
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
We have to keep him. Its apparent that his presence has had had an impact on this defensive unit. He has something money cant buy, and thats leadership. Hes the heart and soul of this defense and this franchise IMO. :texflag:

Agree. Isn't he a main reason our D has improved in the last month? He is a leader on this team, and gives everything he's got. We need to think about what he's worth to us, not necessarily everyone else.

Dunta, DeMeco, Mario, Andre, Steve, Matt- these are guys (all still relatively young) that you build around. You keep these guys as the core of the team, and we'll have long-term success.

threetoedpete
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
No chance Dunta signs for that. Reeves signed for $20 over 5. 8 guaranteed.

Terrance Newman on 5/20/2008 Signed a six-year, $50.2 million contract extension through 2014. The deal contains $22.5 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. (per rotoworld)

Dunta's every bit as good as Newman and is younger.

I think you're making my point for me. Look I'm not trying to break the guys rice bowl....And I love the guy's heart too. Just saying that's a lot of cap dollars for a guy who's been in the middle of the pack in terms of production pre and post injury.

Smith is going to look at this thing objectively. Business is business. Just trying to tell you all don't get heart broken if he swings the other way. In the one hand you have uncertainty. In the other Smith gets two top picks in the 2010 draft...not saying Smith will do this. Just saying he might.

Big Lou
12-16-2008, 02:55 PM

You mean Jason Babin?

HA, I make funny joke, yes?

badboy
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM

You mean Jason Babin?

HA, I make funny joke, yes?
Uh, you make funny joke, no. I keep seeing the $29 million cap space + another $4m+ if Greenwood is allowed to leave. I understand a good part of that is for draft and re-signing our guys yet there should be enough to go solid after Asomugha and Julius Peppers. I do not think we will have a shot at either but the CB would close down one side. Dunta and Reeves can control the other. Put a #1 draft pick @ FS like William Moore and we can eliminate a lot of yards in the air. Peppers a more realistic possibility and the Defense would be raging.

On a side note, Kubes continues to be happy with the safeties we have.

Goldensilence
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Uh, you make funny joke, no. I keep seeing the $29 million cap space + another $4m+ if Greenwood is allowed to leave. I understand a good part of that is for draft and re-signing our guys yet there should be enough to go solid after Asomugha and Julius Peppers. I do not think we will have a shot at either but the CB would close down one side. Dunta and Reeves can control the other. Put a #1 draft pick @ FS like William Moore and we can eliminate a lot of yards in the air. Peppers a more realistic possibility and the Defense would be raging.

On a side note, Kubes continues to be happy with the safeties we have.

I don't think the Panthers will let Peppers Walk. Suggs might be able to though and that's who I would make a run at. Nnamdi might not be franchised but it's likely to get into a bidding war and I don' see the Texans doing that. The FO is going to have to take a hard look at our CBs and they're going to have to make an evaluation of where Fred Bennett plays in the year or two. How much did Molden impress in practice this year? Not enough to warrant real game time at CB. If he can develop like I hear he could we could have at least a great #2 if not a solid #1. Is Dunta worth top 5 money and will he ask for it? If the FO doesn't feel positive about those answers then we should go after Chris Gamble from the Panthers as an answer IMO.

Goatcheese
12-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Suggs isn't worth the money he's going to demand. He's averaging just 7.5 sacks over the last 4 years; just 12.5 in the last 2 years combined.

He's going to be looking for a Will Smith(Another overpaid player) contract.

I'll pass.

I would rather pick up Jason Babin again, and the 5 sacks off the bench he was getting us.

noxiousdog
12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
My concern on Suggs would be hampered by Weaver's performance. 3-4 players don't often translate well in to 4-3 schemes.

badboy
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't think the Panthers will let Peppers Walk. Suggs might be able to though and that's who I would make a run at. Nnamdi might not be franchised but it's likely to get into a bidding war and I don' see the Texans doing that. The FO is going to have to take a hard look at our CBs and they're going to have to make an evaluation of where Fred Bennett plays in the year or two. How much did Molden impress in practice this year? Not enough to warrant real game time at CB. If he can develop like I hear he could we could have at least a great #2 if not a solid #1. Is Dunta worth top 5 money and will he ask for it? If the FO doesn't feel positive about those answers then we should go after Chris Gamble from the Panthers as an answer IMO.I'm not interested in Suggs and would be ok with what we have on team and will draft. I agree with you on Peppers availability but would stick around on Aso to see how deep the river gets. With economy down, we might get a good offer in as no state income tax and pretty good local economy such as housing.

Jackie Chiles
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
My concern on Suggs would be hampered by Weaver's performance. 3-4 players don't often translate well in to 4-3 schemes.

Weaver was a 3-4 end, almost a DT in a 4-3. Suggs is a 3-4 OLB who played DE in college. They are entirely different players without even mentioning how much more talented Suggs is. Suggs would work great as a pass rushing compliment opposite Mario IMO.