PDA

View Full Version : When You Outscore The Other Team

gary
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
84-56 over a four game period you're going to win football games.

Ryan
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
When you outscore anybody in a given game, you are going to win.

:twocents:

gary
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I was really just showing that we can score on almost any team in the league for sure.

Double Barrel
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
We are the best team in football the last four games. 4-0, baby! :texflag:

powerfuldragon
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM

not when you play the king.

gary
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Soon to be 6-0.

Double Barrel
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Soon to be 6-0.

yep! We're 7-3 in the last 10 games. :redtowel: hope to be 9-3!!

gary
12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Next season make the playoffs.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
When you move the ball up and down the field with the regularity that the Texans have, you should be outscoring the other teams a helluva lot more than 84-56. Every week it seems we kick the crap out of the other team until you look at the score.

gary
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Due to flags and turnovers.

Ckw
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
When you move the ball up and down the field with the regularity that the Texans have, you should be outscoring the other teams a helluva lot more than 84-56. Every week it seems we kick the crap out of the other team until you look at the score.

Yeah, we still have major problems getting touchdowns in the red zone. This is why i strongly believe we need to make one of our big priorities a bruiser at running back. I am thinking someone like Andre Brown from NC State. He certainly isn't a feature back but I strongly believe he would be a good short yardage back, and we could probably get him between the 3rd and 5th rounds.

Check out this video of him. He has got a wicked stiff arm and is a load to bring down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQz4EJoY0aU

This is also a pretty good one, although he is playing against Appalachian State. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNOiG52388&feature=related

Anyone else have suggestions?

gary
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I think that we will get that type of back in the draft.

Honoring Earl 34
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, we still have major problems getting touchdowns in the red zone. This is why i strongly believe we need to make one of our big priorities a bruiser at running back. I am thinking someone like Andre Brown from NC State. He certainly isn't a feature back but I strongly believe he would be a good short yardage back, and we could probably get him between the 3rd and 5th rounds.

Check out this video of him. He has got a wicked stiff arm and is a load to bring down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQz4EJoY0aU

This is also a pretty good one, although he is playing against Appalachian State. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNOiG52388&feature=related

They list him as underrated here .

http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/overunder.php

Hookem Horns
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM

Apparently you don't work for the BCS.

Ckw
12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
They list him as underrated here .

http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/overunder.php

Yeah, and I agree. He didn't have a stellar season but NC State was also a sub-par football team this year.

He is not a guy that is meant to carry the full load, which is why I think he would be a great fit for us to pair with Slaton.

gary
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
How about the back from Clemson?

Ckw
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
How about the back from Clemson?

I don't know Gary. You are talking about James Davis right? He looks good, but I don't think he is as much of a pounder as we need. He doesn't seem to do anything exceptionally well. He is pretty good up the middle, but isn't really shifty either. He is likely to be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd at the latest, and I think we can get a better bargain in the 3rd or 4th (but if he is available in the 3rd we would definitely have to consider him).

He has done well splitting carries with Spiller though, so he might have the same kind of impact pairing with Slaton. I just don't really think we need a running back to really split carries with Slaton. I feel Stevo can be the feature back, and we just need someone to come in to give him a break every now and then and pound it up the middle for short yardage.

gary
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Agreed.

Honoring Earl 34
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
What if Shonn Green was there in the 2nd ?

Ckw
12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
What if Shone Green was there in the 2nd ?

Would have to consider him. I just think we can wait until the 3rd or 4th to get a good bruiser. That 2nd could be used on a pass rushing DE, safety, corner, or OLB. In fact, I would really consider a big C like Alex Mack or Eric Wood.

But once again, we would need to consider him.

gary
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
The third or fourth round would be the ideal round tough.

Goldensilence
12-15-2008, 07:30 PM

I disagree. We I don't think we need to get caught up in getting a "bruising" Running Back as much as we need to get the interior of our line squared away. There have been enough smaller backs that just seem to find pay dirt like Marcus Allen, Emmitt Smith, and Warrick Dunn. We need better push upfront so teams know we can punch it in and allow us to be more creative in the passing game. I'm not opposed to picking up a guy like Shonn Green or PJ Hill if he declares. We just need a guy who can split carries with Steve regardless of size.

brakos82
12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
"You know, if you don't score points you can't win the football game." - Mike Ditka

gary
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I disagree. We I don't think we need to get caught up in getting a "bruising" Running Back as much as we need to get the interior of our line squared away. There have been enough smaller backs that just seem to find pay dirt like Marcus Allen, Emmitt Smith, and Warrick Dunn. We need better push upfront so teams know we can punch it in and allow us to be more creative in the passing game. I'm not opposed to picking up a guy like Shonn Green or PJ Hill if he declares. We just need a guy who can split carries with Steve regardless of size.We'll have to take a look at both needs.

SteveSlaton20
12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Due to flags and turnovers.

>_<

damn rosenfails.

ObsiWan
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I disagree. We I don't think we need to get caught up in getting a "bruising" Running Back as much as we need to get the interior of our line squared away. There have been enough smaller backs that just seem to find pay dirt like Marcus Allen, Emmitt Smith, and Warrick Dunn. We need better push upfront so teams know we can punch it in and allow us to be more creative in the passing game. I'm not opposed to picking up a guy like Shonn Green or PJ Hill if he declares. We just need a guy who can split carries with Steve regardless of size.

Totally agree. Its usually more whether the O-line pushes the D-line back off the LoS or at least provides a "crease" the RB can use to get the necessary yds than it is the back himself. The guys G/S mentioned were geniuses at finding that little crease then wiggling in for the score. That said, I'd rather get a road grader RG and center - who can also pass block - than spend a high pick on a RB. If we can find a good prospect the second day, so be it.

The defense still has holes that need filling.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
If all we need is a "bruiser" of a back, why not line up an OL or DL in front of Leach and let him get some glory? I don't like getting all caught up in the type of back in this instance. It clues the D as to what you're doing andlimits your play calling ability. I'm not a big fan of the pass in goal line situations. I favor imposing my will on the other team by keeping them guessing. Make the other team commit to stopping either the run or the pass, then let your QB read the D(Ain't it great having a QB that can DO that?) and get us in the right play based on that. In most 3rd or 4th and short situations, you have a wide open playbook and can hit a big play. If you clue the D in by putting your "bruiser" in there, you're only hurting yourself. In short, get the BEST back available in the draft, NOT the best BIG back
:brickwall:

gary
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
>_<

damn rosenfails.We'd probably be in the playoffs if it were not for him.

Ckw
12-15-2008, 08:33 PM

You apparently didn't read my posts. When Shonn Greene was mentioned, my response was we probably shouldn't draft a running back that early and that we would be better off getting a DE, OLB, S, CB, or C. So I am with you on us having bigger needs.

BUT I have no doubt we have got to get a bruiser. Slaton is a between the tackles runner. And we can get this bruiser in the 3rd or 4th round.

We do not need to do to Slaton what we did to Domanick Davis/Williams and run his legs into the ground. He can be out feature back, but we need a bruiser to move the pile, change the pace of the game, and give Slaton a breather. I strongly believe Slaton can be a Clinton Portis kind of player without the skits.

The entire point, for everyone reading, is we need another back to complement Slaton and give him a break, and it seems entirely pointless to get a back similar to him. I agree that interior lineman is more of a need though.

gary
12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Well said.