PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Dan Bazuin to Practice Squad

nunusguy
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=376
I remember this guy from last years Draft.
A Jason Babin clone - tweener just about Babins size whos speciality was as an edge rusher, MI directionaly school, same basic complextion as Babin.
Apparently the Bears thought very highly of his potential as they used a second round pick on him in '07.
Texans get a chance to check him out in the last few weeks of the season.
Sooner or later they may find a weak-side edge rusher for passing situations.

bah007
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Had 26.5 sacks in only his last two years as a starter at Central Michigan. In games against BCS schools in his career:

Junior Year:
Penn St - 5 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF
Indiana - 10 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF
Senior Year:
Michigan - 3 tackles, 1 sack

Give him a shot. Why not?

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Should help us against the Bears on the scout team in the near term.

Hervoyel
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes but will he get the necessary tattoos to be our edge rusher guy?

Babin left some enormous ink to fill here.

Goldensilence
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Had 26.5 sacks in only two years as a starter at Central Michigan. In games against BCS schools in his career:

Junior Year:
Penn St - 5 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF
Indiana - 10 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF
Senior Year:
Michigan - 3 tackles, 1 sack

Give him a shot. Why not?

Pretty much how I feel. Couldn't be worse then Anthony Weaver.

gg no re
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes but will he get the necessary tattoos to be our edge rusher guy?

Babin left some enormous ink to fill here.
We can give him some temporary tattoos and henna to help him get by until the offseason.

HOU-TEX
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Hasn't he been on the PS for a while now? I remember reading a little on him when we first brought him in. Apparently he's got a lingering knee problem he's been trying to overcome for a while now. It'd be awesome to see him work out, but the odds are against him IMO.

Errant Hothy
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Gosselin's info onhim from the 07 draft:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/stories/042207dnspodraftdl.1d97cc9.html

IN THE BACKFIELD: The NFL looks for playmakers at all positions. Those on the defensive line defeat blocks and make tackles across the line of scrimmage. No one on this draft board spent as much time in opposing offensive backfields as Central Michigan end Dan Bazuin. A four-year starter and three-time All-Mid American Conference (MAC) selection, Bazuin set a school record with 63 tackles for loss (TFL) for a staggering 354 yards. Thirty-five of those TFLs were sacks, another school record.

Dan Bazuin's appearance on this draft board adds to the growing credibility of the MAC, which has sent quarterbacks Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Frye into the NFL in recent years. Offensive tackle Joe Staley, Bazuin's teammate at Central Michigan, projects as a first-round draft pick in 2007 and Bazuin should be a mid-rounder. "My ultimate goal was to make the NFL," Bazuin said. "Whether it be Central Michigan, Michigan or a Big Ten school, it didn't really matter to me."

nero THE zero
12-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Hasn't he been on the PS for a while now? I remember reading a little on him when we first brought him in. Apparently he's got a lingering knee problem he's been trying to overcome for a while now. It'd be awesome to see him work out, but the odds are against him IMO.

Yea, I thought we'd signed him a while back

ChampionTexan
12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
So has there been any official announcement of Molden to the IR, and the addition to the active roster?

Honoring Earl 34
12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=16455&draftyear=2007&genpos=DE

DiehardChris
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
He was signed to the PS on December 4. I think it's a good move... it's just a PS spot, and you never know when a guy with potential like his might suddenly "get it."

Hopefully Weaver will be gone next year, and maybe Bazuin will step up and fill the void left in depth that Cochran and Bulman have left by moving up the depth chart.

Number19
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Hasn't played a game - went through training camp 2007 and placed on IR before first game. Was released by Bears in late August, this year. So he'll have one more off season to come back 100% and may get a chance to show what he's got during the mini-camps this next off season. His 10 yd and 20 yd burst was a hair faster than Babin, while carrying about 10 pounds more weight. The price is right, and who knows, we may get lucky.

Number19
12-15-2008, 10:04 PM
His original injury was in mini-camp. He had surgery to repair damage to the "meniscus" and came back sufficiently to participate in training camp, but was not 100%. He was placed on IR in the final cut and had a second surgery for the "trochlear groove" in Sept 2007. When released this year at the end of August, he still was not back to 100%.

After being released, he was asked, "What is it that is still bothering you? Your're clearly not 100%." His response, "I'm not certain. The weakness seems to be coming from underneath the knee cap. I've never felt as fast or as explosive as I was."

Bubbajwp
12-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Wasnt he suffering from severe depresseion around the time he was drafted?

DocBar
12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Pretty much how I feel. Couldn't be worse then Anthony Weaver. He could definitely be cheaper...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Wasnt he suffering from severe depresseion around the time he was drafted?

You might be thinking of Dan Cody.

Number19
12-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I hadn't read this. It's possible. His younger brother had died in June, 2006, an apparent suicide attempt. The family had made the difficult decision to take him off of life support.

mexican_texan
12-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I was just thinking of him today for some reason. It reminded me that when I watched him play his senior year, the player that impressed me was Middle Tennessee's tackle Franklin Dunbar. We should sign him too.

nunusguy
12-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Dan Bazuin will spend all week trying to do what he can to help make Houston tackle Eric Winston's job easier Sunday against the Bears. That is Bazuin's job as a member of the team's practice squad, after all.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-25-haugh-bears-chicagodec25,0,2786091.column

Lucky
12-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I remember this guy from last years Draft.
A Jason Babin clone - tweener just about Babins size whos speciality was as an edge rusher, MI directionaly school, same basic complextion as Babin.
Yes, they seem to be separated at birth.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/dan%20bazuin.gifhttp://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/469077.jpg

nunusguy
12-26-2008, 10:01 AM

I meant same complextion along racial lines, but my man Jason definitely isn't too fair is he ? I dunno, maybe momma-Babin to had a dark Kenyan "acquaintance" in her past ?

mexican_texan
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Babin definitely looks hispanic.

Oh, and:
"For a certain percentage of patients it works, and for a certain percentage it doesn't work," Bazuin said. "It worked for me. I was bone on bone, and this was like replacing the cartilage that was taken out of my knee."

SOMEONE GET DOMANICK WILLIAMS ON THE PHONE!

Kaiser Toro
12-26-2008, 11:10 AM

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/dan%20bazuin.gifhttp://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/469077.jpg

Striking resemblance.

Lucky
12-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I meant same complextion along racial lines, but my man Jason definitely isn't too fair is he ? I dunno, maybe momma-Babin to had a dark Kenyan "acquaintance" in her past ?
I've met Mama and Papa Babin, and both have that olive Greek/Italian complexion going on. Mama Babin really dug my shrimp brochettes at the green lot tailgates.

Kaiser Toro
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Mama Babin really dug my shrimp brochettes at the green lot tailgates.

Not surprising as Shrimp Brochettes are popular in Kenya.

Hervoyel
12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
The more I read about Bazuin the more hopeful I get about the possibility that he might be that missing pass rusher we need. My first thought was that we went and signed the Bears version of Bennie Joppru but now I'm thinking that we went and signed a guy who will do whatever it takes to get his career going. This guy kept pushing and searching for a way to get his knee back the way he needed it to be. If he doesn't make it back it won't be for lack of desire or trying. Maybe he's a fit?

mexican_texan
12-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't call him a Bennie Joppru guy. Isn't Bazuin a 2nd year player? Bennie did it for 4 seasons.