PDA

View Full Version : Biggest obstacle for 2009?

badboy
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Talent? Coaching? Schedule? Injuries? Other?

HOU-TEX
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Turnovers and a complete season from the defense. :cool:

Texan_Bill
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM

I think you could pretty much /END Thread here.

mattieuk
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Getting the players going full throttle from start of the season...not 4 or 5 games in.

Ole Miss Texan
12-15-2008, 12:14 PM

nailed it... :includeme:

Texan Asylum
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM

I think you could pretty much /END Thread here.

You guys said it...end the free pastries, and our defense has a chance to rest some.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. :gun:

Goatcheese
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Keeping Schaub on the field for 16 games. That will instantly cut down on the Sageovers.. I mean turnovers.

gtexan02
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Injuries + starting too slowly + hurricane

b0ng
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
The Defense.

badboy
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Still early in the discussion, but no one has mentioned talent. I agree with this. I think we are on our way with the players and today's Chronicle mentioned the players coming together as a unit. We seem to have a pretty good Qb, a 1200 yard pro-bowl WR, a 1,000 yard TE, a 1200 + rb and a Oline starting to look better. I think this off seasson could be rewarding if we choose well.

sbalderrama
12-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Redzone offense, probably related to the turnover problem. This team should be laying 30 on anyone with the way they move the ball.

And of course Defense. Is this defense a mirage or the real thing? Where did it come from? If it came from Richard Smith, then he can stay around as far as I'm concerned, but should be on a short leash next season if the defense is flat again in the first part of the year.

Jackie Chiles
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Still early in the discussion, but no one has mentioned talent. I agree with this. I think we are on our way with the players and today's Chronicle mentioned the players coming together as a unit. We seem to have a pretty good Qb, a 1200 yard pro-bowl WR, a 1,000 yard TE, a 1200 + rb and a Oline starting to look better. I think this off seasson could be rewarding if we choose well.

I agree, we are not simply one off-season away, we are one good off-season away. I think the offense is going to continue to mature without much new help next season. They are more explosive than they were last year, I look for them to improve in the turnover department and the short yardage game. The reason I think we can get this accomplished is mainly the youth on our offensive line, RB and QB. For the off-season to be a success we have to get to the point where the defense is good from the start. If it means firing or keeping Smith, I don't know. I can make a guess at this but until we start the year its all talk. We need more defensive playmakers so hopefully we have a very solid draft and get a couple productive new faces in FA.

RipTraxx
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Redzone offense, probably related to the turnover problem. This team should be laying 30 on anyone with the way they move the ball.

And of course Defense. Is this defense a mirage or the real thing? Where did it come from? If it came from Richard Smith, then he can stay around as far as I'm concerned, but should be on a short leash next season if the defense is flat again in the first part of the year.

I think the Red Zone problem is due to the fact that the ZBS does not work well in those kinds of situations. IMO, if we pick up something of bruiser type back it'll change that a little.

Richard Smith has to go. Its only when the playoffs were out of reach, that he started blitzing and look what happened....We shut down one of the best running teams in the league.....

Brando
12-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Having a favorable schedule would help and no hurricane! Plus what HOU-TEX said, turnovers and a complete season from the defense. Getting off to a hot start, get the momentum and confidence as the season progresses. We need to add a little more talent and depth. We have the deepest roster we ever had but you can never have enough depth. I would like to see Adibi and DelJuan Robinson inserted to the starting line up.

Wow, this season went by way too fast. Hopefully the Texans have an extended season next year and I'm not talking about the Pre-Season.

Hervoyel
12-15-2008, 01:36 PM
One thing never changes about the NFL. When a young team is learning how to win consistently the biggest obstacle or "worst enemy" is themselves. Once your talent level reaches a certain point it's mostly mental from that point on. Turnovers, penalties, and mistakes in the red zone are all signs of this. Most teams are replacing like one or two guys a season through the draft and free agency. Then they're plugging backups in during the season as injuries take their toll. For the past... "ever" the Texans have been replacing like 4-5 starters a year. The 2006 draft where we got Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Charles Spencer, Eric Winston, and Owen Daniels wasn't just a sign of how well we draft. It was also sign of how much we sucked and how thin we were. Next year we probably start every single player on offense that we're starting right now. We probably bring in one or two new starters on defense. Just the consistency alone will help a ton.

badboy
12-15-2008, 01:38 PM

And of course Defense. Is this defense a mirage or the real thing? Where did it come from? If it came from Richard Smith, then he can stay around as far as I'm concerned, but should be on a short leash next season if the defense is flat again in the first part of the year.Why can't we get into end zone from within the 10 yard line with the big receivers and tight ends we have? If we can score as you say (and I agree), shouldn't our first concern in off season be a power back that can bang it in within the 20? Bulman has looked good lately at DE and Robinson better than Okam at DT. Are our holes filling up as the season progresses or just looking better than early season?

Brando
12-15-2008, 01:42 PM
One thing never changes about the NFL. When a young team is learning how to win consistently the biggest obstacle or "worst enemy" is themselves. Once your talent level reaches a certain point it's mostly mental from that point on. Turnovers, penalties, and mistakes in the red zone are all signs of this. Most teams are replacing like one or two guys a season through the draft and free agency. Then they're plugging backups in during the season as injuries take their toll. For the past... "ever" the Texans have been replacing like 4-5 starters a year. The 2006 draft where we got Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Charles Spencer, Eric Winston, and Owen Daniels wasn't just a sign of how well we draft. It was also sign of how much we sucked and how thin we were. Next year we probably start every single player on offense that we're starting right now. We probably bring in one or two new starters on defense. Just the consistency alone will help a ton.

Yep. We need to be more consistent. Staying healthy and keeping Schaub on the field would help.

ChampionTexan
12-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Schub starting and finishing games.

If it happens, we should expect to be in the playoffs. If it doesn't happen, we may be starting over in the search for a QB.

Big Lou
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM

All of the above plus some important contracts are up that need to be resigned.

Specnatz
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

1. Defense playing well all season
2. Turnovers
3. Center
4. Short yardage runner
5. Injuries - They always play apart in the NFL.

Thorn
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
1. Defense playing well all season
2. Turnovers
3. Center
4. Short yardage runner
5. Injuries - They always play apart in the NFL.

6. A good DE to play opposite of Mario that the other team will have to account for.

Specnatz
12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
6. A good DE to play opposite of Mario that the other team will have to account for.

I can't ask for everything .. besides I kinda like the way Bulman, Cochran and Jesse Nading have played as a group.