PDA

View Full Version : The MVP of the titan game never played a down!

Porky
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
The real MVP was a nasty guy named Ike. He came, he saw, he destroyed. And then for his encore he conquered the Titans. If ever there was a silver lining with such devastation, yesterday was it. And this proves once again - football is meant to be played in the elements.

This was Fisher's explanation of his odd call at the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter: With Tennessee trailing 13-12 and a fourth-and-three at the Houston 32, the Titans called Rob Bironas back from the field. Instead of attempting a 49- or 50-yard field goal, Fisher decided to throw for first down. And Collins' deep fade down the left side (a curious call when you only need three yards) for Justin McCareins went incomplete.

As it turned out, Hurricane Ike played a big role in Fisher's call. After the September hurricane damaged some roof tiles, the Texans determined they wouldn't be able to close the roof for the rest of the season, until repairs could be made to the roof. So on a blustery day, with 26-mph winds swirling in the stadium, Fisher kicked himself for a decision he didn't make, and it wasn't about not kicking the 49-yarder. "I should have taken the wind in the fourth in the quarter,'' Fisher told me. "That's one I wish I had back. Before the game, Rob was trying field goals at that end from 48, 50, 51, and he was falling short. Way short, on a couple of them.''

link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/12/14/Week15/index.html)

Insideop
12-15-2008, 09:20 AM
That's interesting. I couldn't figure out why Fisher didn't try the kick. That explains a lot. Thanks for the info, and thank you "Ike!"

Texan_Bill
12-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Funny. I made it a point to watch the flags from the Bull Pen and they weren't swirling that much at all.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 09:22 AM
It still doesn't explain the call for the throw to McCareins. There are several plays that are higher percentage on 4th and short.

Wolf
12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
grab some popcorn and grab a drink and enjoy

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42028&page=2

Vinny
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I didn't feel big winds....there were a few really smallish gusts but no sustained anything.

TEXANS84
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I was in for Bironas kicks before kickoff. Bironas was wide left, short about 5 yards on every kick 40+ and up.

He was definitley having troubles in pregame warmups.

TEXANS84
12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I didn't feel big winds....there were a few really smallish gusts but no sustained anything.

There was some pretty good gusts in the Bullpen in the first half.
Pretty much 10 mph sustained wind in the 2nd half with an occasional gust.
The wind was blowing against the kick in the 4th quarter.

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I was in my seat 30 minutes early and saw Bironas kicking field goals in the north end zone. The second to last kick he had was 47 yards and was good, probably would have been good from 50-52 yards, just went over. The last one he took was 51 yards and he was wide left, but had the distance, barely.

In the second half he had a 51 yarder in the Souh end zone and I remember thinking it could have been good from 60.

When you have a kicker like that who has been successful, in our stadium, you put him in for the kick. Based on the Titans quotes after the game and Fisher having a brain fart, it seems we have gotten under their skin and they were and are flustered.

I was watching Bironas due to fantasy football implications.

ATX
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
First time in my life to be at a professional football game in Houston when it was raining on the field.......may never happen again in my lifetime.

Porky
12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Mark V said this morning that Kris Brown was also having trouble from that end before kickoff. There must have been something to it.

I just wish we could take a giant concrete saw, and cut the roof off for good. :devilpig:

FirstTexansFan
12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
I wonder if you can leave the roof open, and run the air conditioning system, and keep the fans somewhat cool? I know when I've sat in the stands with the sun on me, it's just flat out unbearable. But I do love it when the roof is open for games.

SheTexan
12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
First time in my life to be at a professional football game in Houston when it was raining on the field.......may never happen again in my lifetime.

Same here, and I LOVED it!! I hate the blistering heat, but the wind and rain just makes the game more interesting, and fun.

MannyFresh
12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Same here, and I LOVED it!! I hate the blistering heat, but the wind and rain just makes the game more interesting, and fun.
I totally agree!! When it began to rain a little more steady and people started heading up I was like "where in the hell are yall going"?!! This is football baby...some looked at me crazy, but the majority were yelling in agreement, crowd got more into it even if it was just for a little bit. Was hella fun!

TD
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
They were talking about it on ESPN this morning. By Fishers logic had the Titans been going the other way, he wouldn't have tried the FG in the 3rd quarter to put them within one (or if he did try, he wouldn't have made it). Who knows how the game would have gone from there.

At any rate, I think Jeff had a brain fart on the play.....it happens, and I'm grateful.

Double Barrel
12-15-2008, 02:17 PM
They need to revise the roof policy, IMO. I have really enjoyed the elements of the past two home games. The freezing cold on MNF and actually getting to use the Texans winter gear that I've had for years, and then yesterday seeing rain inside Reliant was cool. It was the first time (and maybe last) that I've seen rain at a pro football game in Houston.

So the silver lining to Ike revealed itself yesterday. :redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
They need to revise the roof policy, IMO. I have really enjoyed the elements of the past two home games. The freezing cold on MNF and actually getting to use the Texans winter gear that I've had for years, and then yesterday seeing rain inside Reliant was cool. It was the first time (and maybe last) that I've seen rain at a pro football game in Houston.

You ain't lying. The last three games I have been to (Jags, Packers and Titans) the games have been diffferent in more ways than one from a product and fan experience standpoint. Screw all of the marketing, give us football in inclement weather (except for 80 degrees and higher). :chickendance:

infantrycak
12-15-2008, 02:37 PM
You ain't lying. The last three games I have been to (Jags, Packers and Titans) the games have been diffferent in more ways than one from a product and fan experience standpoint. Screw all of the marketing, give us football in inclement weather (except for 80 degrees and higher). :chickendance:

Yup. Heck just close the roof when it is 85 and above. Otherwise leave it open. I liked the rain.

Texanfan4ever
12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
The other sort of strange things about the day, among all the other strange things, was Haynesworth got hurt on the last series of the game, because the pile just fell wrong, and twisted his knee. It didn't look good, and not to wish hurt on anyone, but after all he did to Matt last year, and then he makes it through the whole game and right before we won, he gets hurt and is possibly out for awhile. It has all been very strange, and all in our favor.

AND THINGS FINALLY WENT OUR WAY! :smiliedance:

powerfuldragon
12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Yup. Heck just close the roof when it is 85 and above. Otherwise leave it open. I liked the rain.

so did i.. i was sitting about midway up the stadium, and it was so surreal to watch the rain float slowly down onto the field.

Porky
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
The guys on the CBS broadcast said that the field is not designed to take any kind of rain. A light rain for a short time is fine, but anything harder or lingering would not be good.

There is no drainage system of any kind installed, and there is no crown on the field. All open stadium football fields have a crown in the center which aids drainage. If the Bears game is a cold hard rain type of game, I suspect the footing will be horrible.

Ckw
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Yeah, but our lack of drainage and a slight midfield slope to cause the rain to drain off the field are problematic.

euro-Texan
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Fischer's decision had nothing to do with the weather, wind of Bironas' range. He needed a 1st down to run out some of the two minutes left on the clock or a TD to keep us from needing only a FG to win it. He just didn't want to call out his defense because he didn't trust them to keep us out of FG range in 2 minutes.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
The fact that the grass sits in trays should be a form of drainage in, and of, itself. It keeps the rain from collecting at a low point and puddling. I've seen similiar setups in barns and runouts used by very expensive horse operations. McNair should be very familiar with such details. IMO, rain, short of a deluge is neglibilbe at Reliant stadium. The field is still grass and will absorb everything sort of a torrential downpour. The little bit of rain Sunday SHOULD'VE had very little impact on the game. The wind would be another story. I was in 613 and there was a pretty good breeze there, but it was hard to pinpoint a direction. The flags on the goalposts were generally out of the south, though.

Texans_Chick
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know what would happen to the turf in a game if Houston had a true, full boogie gullywasher. That's never happened in the stadium, but I can't imagine it could be a good thing for grass in trays...and more importantly the players.

I don't think they should ever close the roof due to cold.

Here's my observations....

The flags on the north end zone goal posts were moving around some but not crazy. It was the breeziest I have ever felt the stadium, but not enough to blow your hat off like in some outside conditions.

And the wind. I am pretty sure the clouds were blowing south to north. Because I was watching the clouds some to see if we were going to be getting more rain. Am I imagining things?

And gee, good thing you throw a downfield pass when you are at 4th and 3 yards facing the worst run defense in the league and your running backs with one exception ended up having 3 or more yards for each run in the 4th quarter. Chris Johnson averaged 5 yards a carry for the day. Yup, swirling winds, a struggling QB-receivers, let's chuck it deep and hope we win like last year.

TexansFanatic
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Absolutely freaking correct. I've always thought the policy on the roof was a travesty. Football is meant to be played outdoors. The point of having a roof is to protect you from seriously inclement weather-----NOT from a little heat or a little rain. The fact that the roof has been closed on perfectly clear days is absurd. The fact that the roof has been closed on days where the forecast called for a little bit of rain is absurd. Keep the freaking roof open!

DocBar
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Absolutely freaking correct. I've always thought the policy on the roof was a travesty. Football is meant to be played outdoors. The point of having a roof is to protect you from seriously inclement weather-----NOT from a little heat or a little rain. The fact that the roof has been closed on perfectly clear days is absurd. The fact that the roof has been closed on days where the forecast called for a little bit of rain is absurd. Keep the freaking roof open! Regardless , conditions were much more benign than any other stadium this time of year.