PDA

View Full Version : That throw by Schaub...

sbalderrama
12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
to AJ for 65 of whatever yards was a rocket. In his early games alot of his throws seemed kindof weak and looked like rainbows. I don't know if he has gotten stronger or better technique or what but this year it seems like I've seen a progression to throws that look like something a serious NFL quarterback throws. That throw he had time and he just cranked that sucker up and it shot out of there. I don't think any other QB in the league could have thrown that one much better.

I saw that throw and just thought "holy crap, that looked like a real quarterback." Good stuff.

eriadoc
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I'd have to go back and watch to see exactly how far AJ dragged the defender to determine how far it traveled in the air, but AJ had to slow up for it or that would have been a TD.

sbalderrama
12-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I'd have to go back and watch to see exactly how far AJ dragged the defender to determine how far it traveled in the air, but AJ had to slow up for it or that would have been a TD.

maybe a bit... and as a side note.. how sweet was that little slow down and then hit the afterburners by AJ to get open on that play.

GP
12-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Yep. He slowed down. It would have been a TD.

The ball still floated, IMO. Matt is throwing later than he should, and the ball is floating more than he should. I think he's putting too much stock into putting "touch" on the ball.

But then again....I'm not a football player, nor a coach at any level. So what the heck do I know? LOL. I love being a Keyboard Warrior.

eriadoc
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
If Schaub continues to progress in all other areas, then his arm is strong enough. He doesn't have a gun, but that's not the most important thing.

infantrycak
12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
We can nitpick placement, etc. on Schaub but two things he definitively does are working the middle of the field (a lost area for both HWWNBN and Rosenfels) and will consistently challenge down field.

texasguy346
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
We can nitpick placement, etc. on Schaub but two things he definitively does are working the middle of the field (a lost area for both HWWNBN and Rosenfels) and will consistently challenge down field.

His accuracy has been pretty impressive lately too. I don't have the "Oh #$%@" thought go through my head every time he throws a pass into tight coverage like I've had with Sage & HWWNBN.

GP

He knows who the bread winner is (AJ) that's for dang sure.

Jackie Chiles

Yeah he has his flaws but when you look at his Yards per Attempt and his completion percentage it is really impressive.

DiehardChris
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I was just SO proud and happy of how he stood in the pocket strong and took the shots after all the BS talking about how he was "scared" of the Titans.

taruky
12-15-2008, 08:46 AM

AJ had to slow down a little, but that wasn't for lack of arm strength. You watch the replay and he clearly wasn't putting his all into it, as a matter of fact he kind of threw it while standing tall rather than leaning his body into the throw. Matt has a pretty quick release and can throw the ball on the drop of a dime, which isn't the case for a lot of QBs. For the record he threw it about 45-50 yards. I would take AJ having to slow down a tad over overshooting him any day.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 09:27 AM
AJ had to slow down a little, but that wasn't for lack of arm strength. You watch the replay and he clearly wasn't putting his all into it, as a matter of fact he kind of threw it while standing tall rather than leaning his body into the throw. Matt has a pretty quick release and can throw the ball on the drop of a dime, which isn't the case for a lot of QBs. For the record he threw it about 45-50 yards. I would take AJ having to slow down a tad over overshooting him any day.

I have never seen Schaub throw a deep ball that our WR caught in stride. That said, I'll reiterate the point in my second post - his arm strength is good enough, all things considered. It's not something I'm going to complain about.

Mailman
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I have never seen Schaub throw a deep ball that our WR caught in stride.

I can remember one in particular--the very first TD he threw to AJ in week one last year against the Chiefs. Play action brought the safety up and Schaub hit AJ for an easy 77 yd TD.

hookinreds
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
His accuracy has been pretty impressive lately too. I don't have the "Oh #$%@" thought go through my head every time he throws a pass into tight coverage like I've had with Sage & HWWNBN.

The one that I did in this game was to AJ on the right hash where MS threaded the needle between three defenders. From the camera angle on the TV, I thought for sure that ball was going right into the hands of the defender under the route, I mean right on his numbers. I still don't know how it made it to AJ, and neither did Tasker. That was one of those "Oh #$%@" moments. But to be honest I don't have those "Oh #$%@" moments when he drops back to pass anymore. They dissapeared about 4 games ago. Now when he drops back, I'm wondering how many yards it's going to be for, not if it will get to the right guy. I thought the play calling yesterday did a great job of changing it up at the right time. Some of the plays hurt, and some of them were not sucessful, but it kept the Titans in check.

dskillz
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM

I think Schaub sitting on the sidelines watching Sage implode week after week helped him out alot. He has been throwing the ball away, taking sacks and not trying to make miracle throws like he was at the beginning of the season.

RipTraxx
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Schaub has never been known for having a cannon. He was known for his accuracy, which is highlighted by the fact that he's been running the same system that he ran at Virginia.

HOU-TEX
12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
The one that I did in this game was to AJ on the right hash where MS threaded the needle between three defenders. From the camera angle on the TV, I thought for sure that ball was going right into the hands of the defender under the route, I mean right on his numbers. I still don't know how it made it to AJ, and neither did Tasker. That was one of those "Oh #$%@" moments. But to be honest I don't have those "Oh #$%@" moments when he drops back to pass anymore. They dissapeared about 4 games ago. Now when he drops back, I'm wondering how many yards it's going to be for, not if it will get to the right guy. I thought the play calling yesterday did a great job of changing it up at the right time. Some of the plays hurt, and some of them were not sucessful, but it kept the Titans in check.

I agree. That pass definitely got my a-hole puckered up. It was right on the money though and Schaub put some mustard on the ball too.

Oh, by the way..................AJ's a friggin Beast!!

Ryan
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
In simple terms, as long as Schaub is healthy, he is our QB.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I can remember one in particular--the very first TD he threw to AJ in week one last year against the Chiefs. Play action brought the safety up and Schaub hit AJ for an easy 77 yd TD.

Nope. I have it on DVR still. AJ had to slow up, but he was so wide open, no one was near him. That ball was underthrown.

As I said, I don't care, I just notice these things. It's more important to me that they have a good scheme, that AJ is getting that wide open, that Schaub's recognizing the coverages and matchups, and that he's challenging the defense and getting the ball there.

Mailman
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Nope. I have it on DVR still. AJ had to slow up, but he was so wide open, no one was near him. That ball was underthrown.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I just watched it on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8022d29a) and it looks to my eye as if he hit him in stride. He may have underthrown him slightly, but if he did it was rather minimal.

Regardless, that play was a great indicator of the future of this offense.

DexmanC
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
That word eriadoc keeps using to describe Schaub to Dre "underthrown," is
a matter of knitpicking. AJ is FAST, yet when he's open, the ball is on the
money. When you see Schaub throw those bombs, the ball is in the
correct place, with a TIGHT spiral. I'll take accurate and strong enough
over inaccurate and deep (Jamarcus Russell.)

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
That word eriadoc keeps using to describe Schaub to Dre "underthrown," is
a matter of knitpicking. AJ is FAST, yet when he's open, the ball is on the
money. When you see Schaub throw those bombs, the ball is in the
correct place, with a TIGHT spiral. I'll take accurate and strong enough
over inaccurate and deep (Jamarcus Russell.)

Agreed on all points, including the nitpicking :)

Maddict5
12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
i thought the throw up to andre in the 4th was just as impressive.. thats a really hard one to get right... you underthrow it a touch, its a pick.. overthrow it a bit and it sails over the sideline

matt threw it perfect- just over finnegans reach aand andre made the nice play on it

HOU-TEX
12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
If AJ would've pulled down the over-thrown ball on the sideline I would've pee'd my pants.

I agreed with the commentators when they said they thought the ball was initially uncatchable. To me, it appeared the ball was sailing way over Dre's head. Then all of a sudden he's right there with a claw on the ball and damn near reeling it in.

AJ = King of the Beast's!!

Ole Miss Texan
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
That throw yall are talking about where the announcers thought it was WAY overthrown was an awesome play. AJ is so big that it doesn't look like he's really running that fast but looks closer to jogging. He was so close to making that catch... if he would have.. my gosh. I think it would have been one of the greatest catches all season, but would go unnoticed. AJ is just such a dominant WR.

The throw I thought was the best all game was a quick pass, looked like a slant almost to AJ. He was open for a split second and a LB was eyeing Schaub. Schaub threw it a hair inbetween two defenders as AJ was coming in from the right and there was a CB all over AJ. That pass was so close to being picked off or incomplete from three different sides, but MS put some extra mustard on it. The announcers said something to the effect of "that's the definition of threading the needle".

I don't know whether to be excited that Schaub can make that throw... or worried that he made the decision to even attempt such a close throw. That hole closed VERY quickly and I'm hoping Schaub knew it would and thought he could pull it off instead of being surprised about how close it was. :nervoussmiley: :)

Mailman
12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Watching the video I linked from last year's KC game (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8022d29a) gives a nice illustration of Matt Schaub's growth as a starting quarterback. At about the :50 mark you'll see us run our bread-and-butter play-action boot with AJ streaking down the sideline into the end zone. Schaub has ample space and time to set his feet and throw, but he throws an ugly pass off his back foot that gets picked off in the end zone in front of AJ.

We're not seeing him make that throw any more.

dtran04
12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
The only time I've seen Schaub really wind up and chuck it down the field was against the Packers. It was the second bomb that he threw to Walter that ended up in his lap.

sbalderrama
12-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't know whether to be excited that Schaub can make that throw... or worried that he made the decision to even attempt such a close throw. That hole closed VERY quickly and I'm hoping Schaub knew it would and thought he could pull it off instead of being surprised about how close it was. :nervoussmiley: :)

I lived in Denver through the entire Elway era... John had such a strong arm that he did that all the time, which sometimes of course led to picks. There were plenty of "WTF JOHN!" moments in Denver, balanced of course by plenty of instances of sheer brilliance. Schaub of course is no Elway, but you don't want a QB who is TOO careful with the ball either or you'll never hit the big plays that balance the ints. Ints are part of the price for a passing offense, so I don't get too upset about 1 or so a game as long as its preferably somewhere near midfield.

Lets not forget that Kubiak and his team somehow managed to get Jake Plummer to go 200 or so throws with no interceptions at one point.... if thats not a miracle, nothing is. I think Schaub is learning and will get the ints under control... now to work on those fumbles.

Texan_Bill
12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
AJ = King of the Beast's!!

Need to fix your sig.... :whistle:

HOU-TEX
12-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Need to fix your sig.... :whistle:

Nah, Leach is my boy. He's my Lunch Pail Beast. Lunch Pail Beast's don't get the recognition the King of Beast's get. They just show up and DO WORK.

:texflag:

barrett
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
a neat quote from HT.com our "fragile" Texans QB after getting hit by Javon Kearse... this is Kearse quoting Schaub:

"(on how QB Matt Schaub responded when they knocked him down) “He got up one time and was like, ‘Good job, freak. Good job 90.’ I was like, ‘I don’t want to hear any good job. I want the ball.’ But, I mean, things happen.”

I love it.

Go Texans.

DexmanC
12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
a neat quote from HT.com our "fragile" Texans QB after getting hit by Javon Kearse... this is Kearse quoting Schaub:

"(on how QB Matt Schaub responded when they knocked him down) “He got up one time and was like, ‘Good job, freak. Good job 90.’ I was like, ‘I don’t want to hear any good job. I want the ball.’ But, I mean, things happen.”

I love it.

Go Texans.

That's the Schaub that was smiling on the way to the huddle with
1:33 left in Green Bay. The Texans sacked it up for Coach when
the media was calling for his head after the last Indy game.

Big Lou
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM

That looked like Earl Cambell in a #80 Jersey.

I thought for a minute AJ was going to carry him to the house!!!!!!

Fox
12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
The look on Schaub's face after he threw the 30 yarder to AJ in the 4th told me a lot about how competitive he is and just how bad he wanted this game. I thought this was definitely one of the gutsier performances I've seen from Schaub. He was dead on leading his receivers 15-20 yards down field on slants, but as already pointed out he has a tendency to slightly underthrow go routes. I don't mind that flaw as much because the flip side is I've rarely seen him overthrow a deep route. The more I've seen of him this year, the more convinced I am he can be a franchise QB here in Houston. I think the running game helps his game out quite a bit.

brakos82
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
That looked like Earl Cambell in a #80 Jersey.

I thought for a minute AJ was going to carry him to the house!!!!!!
I thought Slaton was wearing 34 on that long run on the final (2nd to final?) drive when he got tripped but stayed upright... that brought back memories...