PDA

View Full Version : Not Taking the Kick

Txn_in_Oki
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
When I saw that the Tits were going for it on 4th and 3 and not kicking the field goal the first thought that jumped into my head was that it was a total lack of respect on Fischers part that he thought they would have no problem with eith getting the first of going ahead with the TD.

How's THAT for a run on sentence.

Seriously though, thst move totally pissed me off and I can't wait for the Texans to consistantly kick their asses. My only hope is that we can get that Super Bowl win before they do.

:fans:

ChrisG
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
my 1st thought was that they thought if they gave us the ball back with that much time left and they are only up by 2, we would be able to run down the field on them.

i saw it more as they were afraid of our offense

OzzO
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
.. and they went to Petey's side (didn't they?). I was hoping they wouldn't put a day full of field goals on us like last time. Then saw they were going for it... silly inbreds, tricks are for your aunt-mom-sisters.

Vinny
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I still can't figure out why he didn't go for the kick...one of those head scratchers.

TexanSam
12-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I still can't figure out why he didn't go for the kick...one of those head scratchers.

The only reason I can think is that he wanted to get the first down that way that forced the Texans to use up their remaining 2 timeouts and then try for the FG from a shorter distance.

Even that reason seems lame though seeing as the what the consequences could and would be.

Mailman
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I was too nervous to watch the fourth down play or the subsequent drive by the Texans live and just watched a short time ago.

After the Slaton run when the Fat Man got hurt, Keith Bullock had his helmet off following Haynesworth as he limped to the sideline. Bullock yelled loudly in the general direction of Fisher "that was bullshit!"

I guess he didn't like the call, either.

False Start
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Whatever he was thinking, I wanna thank him. :fans:

Goldensilence
12-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Don't really like watching NBC game coverage as Colinsworth is a tool but they are saying, per Fisher, that he winds in Reliant were making long field goals difficult in pregame. Said he would go for it on long big kicks.

Not sure if it is true but if so makes sense.

HoustonFrog
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Me too. Their style is get a lead and play D. they completely went against this by trying to throw to one of their subpar receivers.

ATXtexanfan
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
They had nothing to lose, that's all, if they had won everyone would be sucking jeff off for his killer instinct

Runner
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM

I wonder if Bironas pulled something or otherwise got hurt on a previous field goal or kick-off.

hookinreds
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't really like watching NBC game coverage as Colinsworth is a tool but they are saying, per Fisher, that he winds in Reliant were making long field goals difficult in pregame. Said he would go for it on long big kicks.

Heard Fisher say that too...that he should have elected to take the wind in the 4th but he didn't and that against the wind, the kick was out of range.

My initial thought was that they were going to draw the penalty...then the snap and my jaw dropped. My thought then was that he Fisher figured if we did stop them, his D would surely get keep us from getting a first down and they would get the ball back again.

kastofsna
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
When I saw that the Tits were going for it on 4th and 3 and not kicking the field goal the first thought that jumped into my head was that it was a total lack of respect on Fischers part that he thought they would have no problem with eith getting the first of going ahead with the TD.
that's a bizarre thought to have. i guess any time a coach goes for it on 4th it's because they have a "lack of respect" for the other team's defense.

eriadoc
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Fire Fisher?

LOL

Mailman
12-14-2008, 08:34 PM
They had nothing to lose, that's all

the game?

ObsiWan
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Wind?
What wind?
I was AT the game. Even when it drizzled a bit in the 2nd half, the rain came straight down.
Maybe that's something unique to that end of Reliant. There was no wind on our end of the stadium.

I thought maybe his kicker pulled a groin or something. Some of his kickoffs were kinda short.

TheRealJoker
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Fisher was obviously scared to let the clutch king Matt Schaub have another chance with the ball.

Specnatz
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Fire Fisher?

LOL

Nah he is teflanDON. :kingkong:

disaacks3
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Wind?
What wind?
I was AT the game. Even when it drizzled a bit in the 2nd half, the rain came straight down.
Maybe that's something unique to that end of Reliant. There was no wind on our end of the stadium.

I thought maybe his kicker pulled a groin or something. Some of his kickoffs were kinda short.
I felt it swirling all day in the Bull Pen. It really seemed to be a ~10mph breeze out of the North end. Kris Brown's kickoffs were really short to the North end, whereas he was kicking 5 yds deep into the endzone the other way. That was the only reasoning I could come up with for Fisher going for it in that situation.

..I kept thinking that we might need that breeze for a game-winner in the 4th quarter as well.

RTP2110
12-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't know where all the rest of you guys sit, but in section 512 there was a lot of wind coming in from the north end throughout most of the game. Did anyone notice the goalpost flags? I watched both guys in pregame, and kicks were just dying in mad-air on our end.

When Fisher decided to go for it on 4th everyone in my section was pretty sure that it was because of the wind. Also after Tennessee chose to receive, the Texans chose ends so that it would work out that way.

toronto
12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I felt it swirling all day in the Bull Pen. It really seemed to be a ~10mph breeze out of the North end. Kris Brown's kickoffs were really short to the North end, whereas he was kicking 5 yds deep into the endzone the other way. That was the only reasoning I could come up with for Fisher going for it in that situation.

..I kept thinking that we might need that breeze for a game-winner in the 4th quarter as well.

A Titans fan in the bullpen said Bironas was missing all long kicks from that side during warmups - makes sense when you think about Fisher's decision now. During the game it seemed nuts.

Goatcheese
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
It wouldn't have mattered. The Texans easily marched down the field into field goal range, with almost a minute left. And that was with trying to run the clock.

Picking up those 3 yards was their best chance to win the game, because they were not going to keep Houston from scoring.

TexansFanatic
12-14-2008, 09:36 PM
my 1st thought was that they thought if they gave us the ball back with that much time left and they are only up by 2, we would be able to run down the field on them.

i saw it more as they were afraid of our offense

BINGO. This was a sign that Fisher respects our offense and figured he would lose if he didn't get the touchdown. This is the highest form of flattery he could have offered.

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM

In the post game presser, Kubiak said that he understood the decision. He said there was a pretty good breeze and that he wouldn't have wanted to have Kris kick a FG from that position going that direction, either.