PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean Richard Smith is Going to Stay now?

fikster
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Just wondering what you guys think. does the four game win streak and the defense playing better as of late mean Richard gets to stay? I sure hope not.

Scooter
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
NO. what we're proving is that we have the talent to play better defense. that doesnt change the fact that they've only been coached to opportunities for succes in a handful of games. smith needs to be gone unless we only want to play a handful of games next season also.

rockabilly
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
We didnt allow a TD to the #1 team in the league - and not allowing many TDs the past weeks. If its him with the play calling, yes...but I have a feeling that he secretly has been demoted.

DexmanC
12-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I guess it was about Richard not having the "horses." Since half
of his defensive starters have been changed, this defense is complementing
the offense pretty well.

So, here's to one more year with Richard.

Big Lou
12-14-2008, 05:18 PM
In fear of losing any of my 2 rep points, I wouldn't mind IF he keeps the D playing like this.

I my god did I just say that?

The room is spinning......

Maddict5
12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
the D is playing great.. and its not like last yr where we 'simplified' things and got lucky with tipped int's etc.

they're making plays and look to have the makings of a top unit.. part of that is the change in philosophy we've seen recently and part of it is the players maturing

i dont care who's in charge as long as they keep playing like this

(we still need some work on our blitzes though )

stingray
12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brakos82
12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah... that...

Big Lou
12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
We didnt allow a TD to the #1 team in the league - and not allowing many TDs the past weeks. If its him with the play calling, yes...but I have a feeling that he secretly has been demoted.

Yeh what he said.

I didn't take this into account in my previous comments.

fikster
12-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I want to see our defense play behind a coordinator with a consistent scheme and utilize our talent all of the time. Who is to say that we couldn't be an outstanding D like Pittsburng, Ravens or the Eagles with the talent we have. Jacque Reeves may even turn his head around every once in a while and lead the league in picks.

Goldensilence
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I can only explain the better play by the defense by a few things.

1) Smith has been stripped of the play callling/planning duties
2)The now sickeningly classic RS lets turn the defense loose after a shot at the playoffs is gone.

Part of it could be the staff feels better about the secondary with once again the emergence of someone at safety playing decent. Don't think Wilson and Ferguson are the end all at safety by any means, but they are playing well enough as a tandem. Adibi's status next week will be big. Defense has been playing better since he got into the starting lineup.

All that said, if Kubiak wants to make the playoffs this defense has to play much better earlier in the year. Terrible starts then if seems Kubiak has to call Smith out 8-9 games in before they show signs of life. Smith's got to go.

awtysst
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Obviously we don't know the inner workings of the Texans, so its possinble that someone else is calling the D plays right now. RS might be D coordinator in name only.

If not, then Kubes needs to look at the way the RS D's have played in the begining and middle of the seasons. His D's seem to come alive in mid November, when the Texans are out of the playoff hunt. To be a playoff team your d needs to show up from week 1. It cannot be absent until week 10.

Also, Kubes needs to think about this, if he does not fire RS now and tries to do it mid year, it will be a mess. If he thinks he might fire RS before the end of next season, he should do it the Monday after the Texans last game.

Scooter
12-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I can only explain the better play by the defense by a few things.

1) Smith has been stripped of the play callling/planning duties
2)The now sickeningly classic RS lets turn the defense loose after a shot at the playoffs is gone.

Part of it could be the staff feels better about the secondary with once again the emergence of someone at safety playing decent. Don't think Wilson and Ferguson are the end all at safety by any means, but they are playing well enough as a tandem. Adibi's status next week will be big. Defense has been playing better since he got into the starting lineup.

All that said, if Kubiak wants to make the playoffs this defense has to play much better earlier in the year. Terrible starts then if seems Kubiak has to call Smith out 8-9 games in before they show signs of life. Smith's got to go.

isnt the bold a deja vu also? will demps and CC brown became a respectable pair once we actually started playing aggressively and someone else appeared to put their stamp on smith's vanilla defense. demps was even a pro bowl alternate if i remember right. i highly doubt smith is the one that "figures it out" towards the end of the season, seeing it for 3 consecutive season tells me someone else is pulling the strings, possibly even kubiak feeling pressure to put his influence on the defense.

it really wouldnt suprise me if it is kubiak on defense because some of our blitzes look like denver a few years ago. not much disguise, just putting 7 guys on the line and see who gets there.

DexmanC
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
The key to the Texans is not having a "great" defense. They just need
to be COMPETENT. Our offense has been DOMINATING time-of-possession,
which is something they didn't do last year.

When the offense TURNS THE BALL OVER as much as our has, it WILL
contribute to our defense being poor in the later part of the game. The
Texans held the ball today for over 39 MINUTES!! Our defense playing better
is a combination of several factors, not just who the D-Coordinator is.

Marcus
12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Our defense playing better is a combination of several factors, not just who the D-Coordinator is.

Exactly.

All this "conjecture" that the defense is suddenly playing better because Smith has been demoted, or hidden, or whatever is nothing but wishful thinking by critic who already have their mind made up.

Sometimes I think some of you actually are sad that they are winning now.

Norg
12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
no!!!!!!!! we got smashed aganist the two best D in the NFL Pittsburg and Balty and so since i think we might play one of them agian next year then i will say NO

euro-Texan
12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Our D has just been playing to their potential over the last few weeks. I think a more agressive coordinator will give us some return on all of these 1st round picks

Goldensilence
12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Exactly.

All this "conjecture" that the defense is suddenly playing better because Smith has been demoted, or hidden, or whatever is nothing but wishful thinking by critic who already have their mind made up.

:ok:

Sad? No.

But looking at the past 3 seasons running the defense seems to turn it up 10 weeks in. So Smith just "gets" it around November? I would understand if it took so long for the defense to get a complex scheme but... in all honesty using the words Richard Smith, Defense and Scheme is just funny. If it takes your head coaching calling you out midway through the season for not being aggressive enough to "get it" you don't deserve to be a defensive coordinator.

Marcus
12-14-2008, 06:55 PM
:ok:

Sad? No.

But looking at the past 3 seasons running the defense seems to turn it up 10 weeks in. So Smith just "gets" it around November? I would understand if it took so long for the defense to get a complex scheme but... in all honesty using the words Richard Smith, Defense and Scheme is just funny. If it takes your head coaching calling you out midway through the season for not being aggressive enough to "get it" you don't deserve to be a defensive coordinator.

The bold part . . . completely disagree with it.

Like I stated before, you and others already have your minds made up. Get ready to be disappointed.

Goldensilence
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
The bold part . . . completely disagree with it.

Like I stated before, you and others already have your minds made up. Get ready to be disappointed.

Don't really get how you can disagree with the statement. Care to explain your assessment?

edo783
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I suspect that Smith is gone at the end of the season or soon after, the only question is who will be the replacement.

imatexan
12-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Probally will end up staying, but thats only a probally!

ArlingtonTexan
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Ny guess is that unless the defense implodes with 40 points game or something, we are going to see another year of Richard smith defense. Whether we should or not is another question, but I think we will.

keyser
12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
The problem is this seems to happen every year. A poor start at the beginning, but by the end of the season we have a strong defense. Of course, by that time it's too late. I've been caught by this before - "Oh, I thought he was a poor DC, but now our defense is playing so well, I think he should get to stay." Fair enough the first year, but this is now the third year of this - we have to say enough at some point.

Scooter
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
and if it happens again next year where we play the first half of the season vanilla, is everybody here comfortable knowing that "we'll make decisions like that in the offseason"? i know i'm not. 4 games of having a defense just isnt enough for me personally, neither is knowing that we'll continue this groundhog's day - giving smith just enough time after we're out of the playoffs to trigger "what have you done for me lately" mentalities and save his job.

this of course assuming that smith isnt already out and someone else has been calling the shots recently.

GP
12-14-2008, 11:01 PM
isnt the bold a deja vu also? will demps and CC brown became a respectable pair once we actually started playing aggressively and someone else appeared to put their stamp on smith's vanilla defense. demps was even a pro bowl alternate if i remember right. i highly doubt smith is the one that "figures it out" towards the end of the season, seeing it for 3 consecutive season tells me someone else is pulling the strings, possibly even kubiak feeling pressure to put his influence on the defense.

it really wouldnt suprise me if it is kubiak on defense because some of our blitzes look like denver a few years ago. not much disguise, just putting 7 guys on the line and see who gets there.

Bingo.

Eugene Wilson is this year's Will Demps. I remember how we all fell in love with Demps, but guys...it's just a symptom of the disease: The players change, especially in the secondary, but it still remains a fact that the defense plays a whole lot different once there's nothing to play for.

I think it's still RS calling the plays. Or he's getting demoted at the same time every season, which doesn't make sense.

Regardless, rattling off 4-straight wins--and possibly marching to 9-7--is going to save his job, IMO. Obvious meltdowns sink the Richard Smith boat, and there hasn't been one in a long, long time. To the contrary, the defense has been pulling our offense's ass out of the fire lately.

Kubiak's a big LOYALTY guy. He ain't getting rid of RS. He wants to run a Denver Broncos "You're a part of the family" type of organization. At least that's what it looks like to me. Just the fact that there's no talk from the players, and there's nothing but all of us playing Clue on here...that says a lot.

GP
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Don't really get how you can disagree with the statement. Care to explain your assessment?

Marcus has been a stalwart on the idea that it's not the coach's fault, it's an issue of not having enough talent on the field. Talent trumps coaching.

I risk getting flamed by Marcus for trying to summarize his theories, but I think this is what he is saying. And he's having a bit of fun with all the people on here who are coming up with conspiracy theories on the playcalling duties. He's pointing out that suddenly everyone is realizing that Smith is probably going to be safe...again...and posters are sad about our defense playing better because it means the d-coord will be back. And since the posters don't want the d-coord to come back, then well...the cycle repeats itself.

I don't think RS's duties have been yanked from him. I think this is who he is: He plays it conservative, early, in an attempt to NOT be the reason we get blown out. And then when there's no risk of HIS defense being responsible for flunking us out of the playoff picture? Well, then he can make risky blitzes all day long.

I don't think Kubiak is smart enough to figure this out. Kubiak is a guy, IMO, who wants long-term stability to the point of thinking that Richard is not as bad as he's been thus far. Kubiak thinks in terms of being a Shanahan-type of coach: It's a big family, and there will be ups and downs. So stick with the guys you picked, let them have lots of years to grow, develop chemistry, groom assistants, draft players who fit the coaching styles, etc.

Put me in the category of thinking that no lamenting of any coach on this team will translate into Kubiak firing them. The guy is here to stay, IMO, because he kept this team from imploding after the horrible start to the season. We probably even pull off a 9-7 record, fellas.

beerlover
12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
The best thing about Sunday's 13-12 victory was the performance of the defense. Richard Smith's crew limited the Titans to no touchdowns for the first time this season. Players like tackles DelJuan Robinson and Amobi Okoye stepped up at the right time. Smith made good adjustments after the first series in which the Titans ripped off a couple of big runs by Chris Johnson.

I know some of you maybe many of you can't bear to give Smith any credit because you've demanding his firing for weeks now but he deserves a lot of credit for what's happened over the last four weeks, especially Sunday when the defense contained Tennessee's running game and forced Kerry Collins to pass. That's not the strategy the Titans like to use.

McClain- http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Wolf
12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I have to go with Vinny's theory

RS has been stripped of his playcalling..

this defense is night and day right now..

I would like to think that D-Rob coming back has helped(and it has ) but overall it is different

Texans_Chick
12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
I love our new defensive strategy:

1. Give plenty of time to throw the ball;
2. Hope that the quarterback isn't accurate;
3. That the opposing receivers wear oven mitts.

The Texans had 36:22 time of possession. That is HUGE. A defense that is not on the field can't screw up.

The defense did a nice job of getting some key stops to get FGs instead of TDs, but the biggest difference in this game is that the Texans offense was patient. They ran the ball even when it wasn't working. They moved the ball but weren't so aggressive like punting is a crime.

They did a nice job on the run, but I really think that the Titans made a mistake giving up on the run too quickly. They were having some amount of success running through the middle of the line, or running to the side of the field where Mario Williams was not.

Smash and Dash (Lard and Tard if you prefer) only had 21 carries between them. They like to force offenses to make mistakes, get ahead and run the ball. The Texans offense made mistakes but they were patient and didn't panic.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I left the following comment on McClain's blog:

The defensive performances of late only prove to me that Richard Smith needs to go. It proves that the talent is good enough to at least be middle-of-the-pack. his schemes early in the year were clearly the problem, after further review. If this were the first year of this, I'd be inclined to assume that he has learned, but this is nothing new.

Fire Richard Smith.

GP
12-15-2008, 12:27 AM
McClain- http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

I don't know how to "read" John McClain.

Not enough room on here to go into details, but I'm sure people know what I mean.

This blog entry was pretty well-reasoned, but smacks of opportunism: We're doing great now, so let me compliment them. But then he has the little caveat about how we could still blow it against beatable teams like Oakland, etc.

He seems to state the obvious a lot.

Going 9-7 does not translate into doing better next year, IMO. This team has to play from game 1 to game 16. And then injuries factor into things, as well. It's not easy to win a championship in the NFL, and I think it's why the NFL is the best pro sport: It's a short season, but it's got a lot packed into it and you know what you have in a short period of time (compared to MLB and NBA whose seasons are loooooong and drawn out).

Kubiak is Houdini. I thought the guy was toast. Wrong!

Jackie Chiles
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't know how to "read" John McClain.

Not enough room on here to go into details, but I'm sure people know what I mean.

This blog entry was pretty well-reasoned, but smacks of opportunism: We're doing great now, so let me compliment them. But then he has the little caveat about how we could still blow it against beatable teams like Oakland, etc.

He seems to state the obvious a lot.

Going 9-7 does not translate into doing better next year, IMO. This team has to play from game 1 to game 16. And then injuries factor into things, as well. It's not easy to win a championship in the NFL, and I think it's why the NFL is the best pro sport: It's a short season, but it's got a lot packed into it and you know what you have in a short period of time (compared to MLB and NBA whose seasons are loooooong and drawn out).

Kubiak is Houdini. I thought the guy was toast. Wrong!

I won't deny that you could be right about this but I'm starting to think last year finishing 8-8 with all those injuries might have been the Houdini job.

Marcus
12-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Marcus has been a stalwart on the idea that it's not the coach's fault, it's an issue of not having enough talent on the field. Talent trumps coaching.

True.

I risk getting flamed by Marcus for trying to summarize his theories, but I think this is what he is saying. And he's having a bit of fun with all the people on here who are coming up with conspiracy theories on the playcalling duties.

:heh: True. "Conspiracy theories" is a pretty accurate discription.

He's pointing out that suddenly everyone is realizing that Smith is probably going to be safe...again...and posters are sad about our defense playing better because it means the d-coord will be back.

Well, that's true, ain't it? How unfortunate that some of you are so conflicted.

And since the posters don't want the d-coord to come back, then well...the cycle repeats itself.

False. False. False. FALSE!

Other than the fact that the team, as a whole, has played well in December the last 3 seasons, there isn't any "cycle that's repeating itself". Last season, we started off 3-1, lost a bunch in the middle of the season, then won against losing teams in December. I don't see any pattern here.

I don't think RS's duties have been yanked from him. I think this is who he is: He plays it conservative, early, in an attempt to NOT be the reason we get blown out. And then when there's no risk of HIS defense being responsible for flunking us out of the playoff picture? Well, then he can make risky blitzes all day long.

Risky blitzes? I'm starting to see better pressure on the opposing QB lately, which is making all the difference in the world, but it's not so many blitzes, as much a change in the linebacker personnel along with better pressure from the front four. The players are playing much better as a team.

I don't think Kubiak is smart enough to figure this out. Kubiak is a guy, IMO, who wants long-term stability to the point of thinking that Richard is not as bad as he's been thus far. Kubiak thinks in terms of being a Shanahan-type of coach: It's a big family, and there will be ups and downs. So stick with the guys you picked, let them have lots of years to grow, develop chemistry, groom assistants, draft players who fit the coaching styles, etc.

Other than the "I don't think Kubiak is smart enough to figure this out" quip, I that that pretty much represents stability. Something that you'd expect from teams like the Patriots and the Steelers.

DexmanC
12-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Bingo.

Eugene Wilson is this year's Will Demps. I remember how we all fell in love with Demps.

Uhhh... Demps was a big hitter with LITTLE ballhawking abilities. They don't
even compare when it comes to shutting down a team's passing game,
which is why DEMPS WAS PULLED. Will Demps kept creeping up to the line,
biting HARD ON PLAYACTION. Don't insult Wilson's playmaking like that to
prove a moot point.

:tiphat:

ObsiWan
12-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Other than the fact that the team, as a whole, has played well in December the last 3 seasons, there isn't any "cycle that's repeating itself". Last season, we started off 3-1, lost a bunch in the middle of the season, then won against losing teams in December. I don't see any pattern here.

Risky blitzes? I'm starting to see better pressure on the opposing QB lately, which is making all the difference in the world, but it's not so many blitzes, as much a change in the linebacker personnel along with better pressure from the front four. The players are playing much better as a team.

Is there someone who can chart this? I think we HAVE been blitzing more during this 4-game winning streak. I will give you one thing; sitting Greenwood and starting Adibi in his place has resulted in better LB play. But we all knew G/W was a problem. And as far as getting better pressure, perhaps Smith (or whoever the mystery DC is) finally figured out that Deljuan Robertson and Tim Bulman are closer to starter material than T.J. and Weaver.

And why did it take an injury to CC Brown to figure out that Ferguson and Wilson were a better set of safeties than Demps and Brown?

My question is, why did it take until Nov/Dec for Smith to figure that out?

Some there were posters who knew these things coming out of Sept.

So does Smith get to stay?
I still say No.
Evaluation of talent - especially as to what skill set it takes to implement your defensive scheme - is a big part of the job. Smith seems to take way too long to get this part of the job done effectively - assuming it was him who made these personnel changes. For that reason alone, he still has to go.

Texans_Chick
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Is there someone who can chart this? I think we HAVE been blitzing more during this 4-game winning streak. I will give you one thing; sitting Greenwood and starting Adibi in his place has resulted in better LB play. But we all knew G/W was a problem. And as far as getting better pressure, perhaps Smith (or whoever the mystery DC is) finally figured out that Deljuan Robertson and Tim Bulman are closer to starter material than T.J. and Weaver.

And why did it take an injury to CC Brown to figure out that Ferguson and Wilson were a better set of safeties than Demps and Brown?

Some there were posters who knew these things coming out of Sept.

So does Smith get to stay?
I still say No.
Evaluation of talent - especially as to what skill set it takes to implement your defensive scheme - is a big part of the job. Smith seems to take way too long to get this part of the job done effectively - assuming it was him who made these personnel changes. For that reason alone, he still has to go.

I think he is going to stay. Which totally sucks because I think there are going to be some quality DCs out there.

We have seen this before. Impossibly, historically bad defensive starts, followed by some better play down the stretch. When people ask why Richard Smith has kept his job despite having defenses that have rated in the bottom of the league, that is one of the primary reasons.

I swear, every time I hear talk like this, I hear this music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3mi-bKtDGA) in my head.

DBCooper
12-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Exactly.

Why are we a top defense every Nov/Dec and when September rolls back around we play "mamby-pamby" D for the first half of the season.

eriadoc
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Exactly.

Why are we a top defense every Nov/Dec and when September rolls back around we play "mamby-pamby" D for the first half of the season.

Maybe our players have no talent until November each year. :rolleyes:

dalemurphy
12-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I think he is going to stay. Which totally sucks because I think there are going to be some quality DCs out there.

We have seen this before. Impossibly, historically bad defensive starts, followed by some better play down the stretch. When people ask why Richard Smith has kept his job despite having defenses that have rated in the bottom of the league, that is one of the primary reasons.

I swear, every time I hear talk like this, I hear this music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3mi-bKtDGA) in my head.

I don't think we can have a good grip on what his fate is mainly because we aren't privy to the changes made a month ago. Possibly Smith's been stripped of some duties, or given instruction on changes, or any number of things. So, I don't think we can have any idea what is going to happen. Because if the improvement is a result of intervention by the head coach then he'll be gone after the season, regardless.

noxiousdog
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM

If he hasn't already been removed of his duties, I think he's staying as well, much to my dismay.

However, I think it's equally probable that they bring in an experienced D-Coordinator like Gregg Williams or Marvin Lewis as an assistant head coach or consultant or whatever title they want to give him. McNair has shown no reluctance to hire coaches and Kubiak doesn't have an ego that's too big for him to accept help.

HoustonFrog
12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
This is why I say No. For 2 years we have heard from Kubiak, Smith and their press lackey John McClain that the defense can't blitz or be aggressive because they don't have the talent. So 10 games in they throw caution to the wind and start mixing it up. It works some of the time and the D improves. This shows me that they wasted a season in a half playing crappy D because they had their heads in their @ss.

b0ng
12-15-2008, 12:00 PM

I don't think too many people are sad that the Texans are losing. But they did the same act last year, where they cleaned up 3 of the last 4 games and Mario had a breakout party on national tv.

The fact is I would like Smith fired because if he's this obtuse to using new talent (Playing Adibi, and wouldn't you know, he outplays Greenwood), and not using aggressive schemes until we have played our way out of the playoffs. I think that we have PLENTY of talent on our defense, and the schemes are basically designed to fail.

By all means though, winning is winning, and I like it. There's no way that I'm going feel bad about beating a division rival that I hate just because the defense played competently (A think they didn't start doing until week, oh 10 or so).

The reason that I'm confident the defense is looking better, is that we did the same thing last year. Play aggressively when all is lost. If the coaching staff can't see a trend like that, then that will be their downfall.

Hagar
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
The fact is I would like Smith fired because if he's this obtuse to using new talent (Playing Adibi, and wouldn't you know, he outplays Greenwood), and not using aggressive schemes until we have played our way out of the playoffs. I think that we have PLENTY of talent on our defense, and the schemes are basically designed to fail. You could throw Fred Bennett on that band wagon. Dude catches an interception in the first set of downs and then barely sees the field for the rest of the game. There's something fishy here.

Specnatz
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Exactly.

Ummm maybe people want Richard Smith gone so we can win more games and *knock on wood* win a playoff game. His play 10 yards off WR approach will not do that.

Oh and it is not conjecture it is more wishful thinking or praying in my case. Yes some of us have our mind made up on how good or bad we think the D-Coordinator is, just like most here think that Petey Faggings is as good of a CB as Richard Smith is as a DC.

Mr teX
12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
On 1 hand, i firmly believe he just needs to go b/c i'm afraid we're gonna do the same thing we've done the last 3 years; start off looking terrible & then come on late when it doesn't matter.

But on the other, if what some are saying is true & Kubes maybe forced him to be more aggressive with his playcalling & include Bush & Rhodes more with the development of his game plans..... I think that could work b/c the players wouldn't have to learn a new system. Another year with more talent certainly couldn't hurt him, he just needs to find a way to get us playing consistently better & at the same level game in & out.

Second Honeymoon
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I wanted to inject some intelligent discourse into this thread so I had to make a post.

Richard Smith Sucks.
The End.

Happy Holidays, guys (and gals).

JWarren14
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Is it possible that they have passed along the defensive play-calling duties to someone else? I just can't get over that our defense has increased its level of play in such a short amount of time. I remember McNair saying that they wont make changes until the end of the season. To me it almost seems like someone else took over and they just haven't announced it yet. Even if it still is Smith I think he has to go, if it took him this long to take our defense to the next level.

painekiller
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM

I am not so sure it has taken this long for the defensive coaches to get Kubiak to come around and let them play their style, not Kubiak's style. I believe most of the bad defense lay on Kubiak's shoulders and he is starting to see the light.

infantrycak
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I am not so sure it has taken this long for the defensive coaches to get Kubiak to come around and let them play their style, not Kubiak's style. I believe most of the bad defense lay on Kubiak's shoulders and he is starting to see the light.

And you formed this belief how?

Polo
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Richard Smith is going to stay because he isn't a bad co-ordinator and the defense is starting to show it.

Funny how he gets so much blame for our poor early defensive showings, but gets no credit around here for the stellar play as of late.

Maybe the players and other conditions have more to do with the defensive output than some of you think.

Not turning the ball over so much helps too.

Polo
12-16-2008, 06:47 PM

We sure have seen this before...

Kubes first yr. we were 6-10
The next yr. we were 8-8

And this yr we have a legit shot @ 9-7..

You're right TC, and I hope we see it for many yrs. to come...

OzzO
12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Richard Smith is going to stay because he isn't a bad co-ordinator and the defense is starting to show it.

Funny how he gets so much blame for our poor early defensive showings, but gets no credit around here for the stellar play as of late.....

Maybe 'cause it's been the same method the past, what, 3 years with the Texans? (probably similar to his time with other teams as well) Start slow then towards the end of the season turn it on and thoughts start turning to "maybe he's finally got it right, we'll see next year". Limited blitzes? 10 yard CB cushions on most plays?

If that's the case, I want him starting his defensive preparations the day after the Super bowl v. the day after the 8th game of the regular season.

He's just never coached an above average defense. If there's a replacement out there that is better this season, get him. If not... sigh.... we'll stick with Dickey.

ObsiWan
12-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Man, I hope you're wrong about that. There's nothing wrong about upgrading coaches like we'd look to upgrade at any position.

I wonder if we let Richard Smith go, how many teams would be ringing his phone off the hook to hire him...? Riddle me that, Batman

nunusguy
12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I say Richard Smith for "Co-Head-Coach" ! His D has been playing great as of late.

HOU-TEX
12-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Funny how he gets so much blame for our poor early defensive showings, but gets no credit around here for the stellar play as of late.

Maybe the players and other conditions have more to do with the defensive output than some of you think.

Not turning the ball over so much helps too.

:rolleyes: Same defense 3 years in a row now.

Who's to say he's making the calls now? It sounds to me like the play calling has been taken away from him, or Kubiak forced his hand.

But hey, if you enjoy watching a Jekyll and Hyde defense that only shows up when the playoffs are out of the question...more power to ya.

SteveSlaton20
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
No sir

GNTLEWOLF
12-18-2008, 03:36 AM
If Kubiak and Co are stupid enough to think that any defensive turn-around these last games is reason enough to keep Richard Smith, then I would tend to believe that maybe there should be a complete house cleaning in the front office. If:
A) Richard Smith is indeed still calling the defensive plays and is responsible for the improvement the last 4 games:
1) Kubiak and Rick Smith should check the record and recall that this has happened the last three years and should not trust him to start the season next year. He would deserve to be fired.
2) Kubiak and Richard Smith should be questioning why a more aggressive Defense wasn't installed earlier in the season until after the team was eliminated from the play-offs. Once again, he should be fired.
B)The Defensive play calling duties have been given to another coach or Kubiak himself, then the evidence for Smith's incompetance is right there before his eyes and he should be fired.
DR's return obviously helped the defense greatly, but that DR was out can not be the excuse given to save Smith's job. Injuries happen. The Year the patriots won their second super bowl, they did so with a team full of back-ups because they had ben decimated by injury. A good coach finds a way to win. Richard Smith does not do that.
I honestly can not see any scenerio where Smith stays if Kubiak is any kind of HC at all. But, beacuse of the loyalty thing and the general lack of honesty given to the public from the front office, I'm betting we get the pleasure of seeing yet another exciting year of Richard Smith and his Pure vanilla defense play us out of the play-offs.

threetoedpete
12-18-2008, 04:13 AM
I have to go with Vinny's theory

RS has been stripped of his playcalling..

this defense is night and day right now..

I would like to think that D-Rob coming back has helped(and it has ) but overall it is different

Or....Guad forbid for the shield guys, the captain of the ship, saw his season slipping down by the bow and took the shackle of "rush only four" off the smithster.

You guys are going to look prety silly next August. One ship. one captain. And it isn't Richard Smith.

ObsiWan
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Or....Guad forbid for the shield guys, the captain of the ship, saw his season slipping down by the bow and took the shackle of "rush only four" off the smithster.

You guys are going to look prety silly next August. One ship. one captain. And it isn't Richard Smith.

Let's hope the captain has deep-sixed that idea forever. It hasn't ever worked for him; why go back to it next year?

barrett
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
either way, debate who's calling the shots or why it's gone the way it has with the slow start and the late surge... you can expect to see him back next year. Gary Kubiak believes consistency is the key to winning. He is very patient too. Smith will return next year.

Go Texans.

Texans_Chick
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM

FWIW, I have heard grumbling gossip that it has been Smith who has been conservative but that his assistants and players have wanted to play more aggressively.

Second hand info, so file it in your whatever file.

Maddict5
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
FWIW, I have heard grumbling gossip that it has been Smith who has been conservative but that his assistants and players have wanted to play more aggressively.

Second hand info, so file it in your whatever file.

just an aside but

a 'conservative' D is a good D if you have the pieces. i believe i read somewhere that the titans blitz the least in the league with indy second. unfortunately we dont have a front 4 good enough to do it so we need to blitz more

DocBar
12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
either way, debate who's calling the shots or why it's gone the way it has with the slow start and the late surge... you can expect to see him back next year. Gary Kubiak believes consistency is the key to winning. He is very patient too. Smith will return next year.

Go Texans.
Kubiak may be patient and loyal, but is he going to let RS get him fired? McNair doesn't seem anywhere near patient enough for a repeat of the 1st half of this year. I see Kubiak making a DC change for no other reason than that. Winning streaks are nice, but we just got our 1st 4 game WINNING streak. How many 4 game losing streaks have we had? Bringing Richard Smith back= employment suicide.

Texans_Chick
12-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Kubiak may be patient and loyal, but is he going to let RS get him fired? McNair doesn't seem anywhere near patient enough for a repeat of the 1st half of this year. I see Kubiak making a DC change for no other reason than that. Winning streaks are nice, but we just got our 1st 4 game WINNING streak. How many 4 game losing streaks have we had? Bringing Richard Smith back= employment suicide.

For those of us underwhelmed by Smith, keep this in mind...

1. Yes, the Texans tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and keep guys too long, whether players or coaches...but

2. When they chuck them, they tend not to let that information out early. They try especially with coaches to let them leave with their dignity intact.

Hopefully, they reach for door number 2, but I am not counting on it.

DocBar
12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
For those of us underwhelmed by Smith, keep this in mind...

1. Yes, the Texans tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and keep guys too long, whether players or coaches...but

2. When they chuck them, they tend not to let that information out early. They try especially with coaches to let them leave with their dignity intact.

Hopefully, they reach for door number 2, but I am not counting on it.
#1 kills me most of the time. As a fan, it's hard to understand Deljaun Robinson sitting and Weaver playing. Of course, we aren't privy to critical information, either.
#2 I agree with. There's no need to kick someone when they're down. Don't go away mad, just go away.