TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Barry Sanders played at 5'8" 200 lbs.

Steve Slaton plays at 5'9" 203 lbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Sanders, in his rookie year, gained 1,491 yards on 343 attempts
with a 4.3 yard per carry average.

Steve Slaton, after 12 games, has gained 1,024 yards on 206 attempts
with a 5.0 yard per carry average. Extrapolated over 16 games, he's on pace for 1,365 yards on 274 attempts.

Barry Sanders' longest rush in his rookie year was for 73 yards and resulted in a touchdown.

Steve Slaton's longest rush in his rookie year, so far, was for 71 yards and resulted in a touchdown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Sanders caught 37 receptions his rookie year for 289 yards and a 7.8 yard per catch average.
His longest reception was 44 yards.

Steve Slaton has caught 37 receptions so far his rookie year for 290 yards and a 7.8 yard per catch average.
His longest reception so far has been 46 yards.

Barry Sanders fumbled three times and lost two of them his rookie year.

Steve Slaton has fumbled 2 times and lost one of them in his rookie year.

Barry Sanders had 4 touchdowns rushing and 0 receiving his rookie year.

Steve Slaton has had 8 touchdowns rushing and 1 receiving his rookie year.

Barry Sanders had a Hall of Fame career and in most circles is considered one of the best if not THE best running back in the history of the NFL.

Question: Is there anybody reading these stats who still thinks Steve Slaton has to be considered a third-down back who is only holding the place of a bigger as-yet undrafted running back who will carry the load for the Texans?

HJam72
12-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Question: Is there anybody reading these stats who still thinks Steve Slaton has to be considered a third-down back who is only holding the place of a bigger as-yet undrafted running back who will carry the load for the Texans?

No, I don't think anybody does, but we MIGHT need a short-yardage back for about....oh, 6 carries a game at most.

Silver Oak
12-11-2008, 09:45 PM
damn...I love Slaton too, but we probably need to hold off of the comparisons to one of the all time elites until at least his second year?

I do love those similarities though!

Hardcore Texan
12-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Barry Sanders played at 5'8" 200 lbs.

Steve Slaton plays at 5'9" 203 lbs.

Barry Sanders, in his rookie year, gained 1,491 yards on 343 attempts
with a 4.3 yard per carry average.

Steve Slaton, after 12 games, has gained 1,024 yards on 206 attempts
with a 5.0 yard per carry average. Extrapolated over 16 games, he's on pace for 1,365 yards on 274 attempts.

Barry Sanders' longest rush in his rookie year was for 73 yards and resulted in a touchdown.

Steve Slaton's longest rush in his rookie year, so far, was for 71 yards and resulted in a touchdown.

Barry Sanders caught 37 receptions his rookie year for 289 yards and a 7.8 yard per catch average.
His longest reception was 44 yards.

Steve Slaton has caught 37 receptions so far his rookie year for 290 yards and a 7.8 yard per catch average.
His longest reception so far has been 46 yards.

Barry Sanders fumbled three times and lost two of them his rookie year.

Steve Slaton has fumbled 2 times and lost one of them in his rookie year.

Barry Sanders had 4 touchdowns rushing and 0 receiving his rookie year.

Steve Slaton has had 8 touchdowns rushing and 1 receiving his rookie year.

Barry Sanders had a Hall of Fame career and in most circles is considered one of the best if not THE best running back in the history of the NFL.

We have played 13 games, (we're 6-7) and he has 1024 yards after 13 games so this stat is not accurate nor is the prediction. Still impressive though by Speedy Slaton.

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 09:49 PM
In todays game you have to have a decent second RB. When Slaton breaks off a 50+ yarder but gets tackled, he needs a spell before coming back in.

I don't want to Earl Cambell this guy into retirement. Earl left, Earl right, Earl up the middle was the Oilers playbook. Lets not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Not to take anything away from Slaton, but wouldn't it be nice to have Earl cloned!!!!!! What a duo that would be!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiehardChris
12-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Let's... just stick to comparing him to Reggie Bush for now, LOL. We were all excited about Okoye and Bennett this year, and they have had HUGE sophomore slumps.

Interesting numbers, though.

b0ng
12-11-2008, 09:52 PM
To be fair, Barry Sanders did that with an O-line that would make even our worst ones blush. They were really bad when it came to run blocking.

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
We have played 13 games, (we're 6-7) and he has 1024 yards after 13 games so this stat is not accurate nor is the prediction. Still impressive though by Speedy Slaton.

Doh! All right, throw out the extrapolation of final yards and attempts. Everything else is still accurate and what's really impressive for Slaton is the yards per carry average as well as the total touchdowns.

HJam72
12-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Did Emmitt have numbers that good his rookie year, because if he didn't that means Slaton will win us at least 3 Superbowls. :photos:

I put a lot of thought into that one. :smiliedance:

mexican_texan
12-11-2008, 09:58 PM
The incredible thing about Barry Sanders is that when he broke long ones, its because he knew what the defense was going to do and he knew what he was going to do to counter it. LaDanian Tomlinson claims to have the same skill, but the only guy I've seen with a similar skill is a kid from Memphis who could manipulate a defense as he ran. He plays for the Panthers now and lead the league in rushing touchdowns last I checked.

False Start
12-11-2008, 09:58 PM
The first time I saw he was going to wear number 20 I was thinking that's a good thing because that was Barry's number. While he has exceeded expectations this season and is having a great rookie campain, lets hold off on the Barry Sanders comparisons........ for now. :cool:

Scooter
12-11-2008, 10:00 PM
FIRE KUBIAK!!!

c'mon, somebody had to. :doot:

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Did Emmitt have numbers that good his rookie year, because if he didn't that means Slaton will win us at least 3 Superbowls. :photos:

I put a lot of thought into that one. :smiliedance:

I was a little surprised when I looked up Emmitt to compare him with Slaton because Emmitt played much bigger. He was 5'10" and 221 lbs. Emmitt's rookie numbers were less impressive but I seem to recall he held out for quite a while before his rookie season and thus missed a chance to come out of the gate quickly. 241 attempts. 947 yards. 11 touchdowns. Long of 48. 3.9 yard per carry average.

mexican_texan
12-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't know if Barry is the guy I'd compare Stevie Franchise to. I rewatched the Green Bay game to see exactly why he was able to run all over them. He sped by defenders by the time they realized it was a run play. It's amazing how quick he can find a line and burst through it. His feet are crazy quick and like AJ, he does a lot of little things to get by a defender. Unfortunately, he seems to have a problem getting by the last man.

Htownsportsfan
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
In defense of his post I did not see him say we have a Barry Sanders only that their rookie stats have some similarity. However I have not seen anyone in the past with the ability to change direction and get out of trouble the way Sanders could and I still dont see it! The stats look similar but the running style and ability to appear out from under three tacklers are very different.

Thats said it beats him having rookie numbers that suck!

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
The first time I saw he was going to wear number 20 I was thinking that's a good thing because that was Barry's number. While he has exceeded expectations this season and is having a great rookie campain, lets hold off on the Barry Sanders comparisons........ for now. :cool:

In spite of the title of this thread, my intent was not to suggest that Slaton could be the next Barry Sanders. Rather I wanted to illustrate that a small running back can carry the load for a franchise. When I really started digging into the numbers I couldn't believe some of the similarities.

Hervoyel
12-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know if Barry is the guy I'd compare Stevie Franchise to. I rewatched the Green Bay game to see exactly why he was able to run all over them. He sped by defenders by the time they realized it was a run play. It's amazing how quick he can find a line and burst through it. His feet are crazy quick and like AJ, he does a lot of little things to get by a defender. Unfortunately, he seems to have a problem getting by the last man.

I know you weren't hanging that second hand bad luck nickname on Steve Slaton so I'm just going to say that Steve Francis plays basketball, not football and leave it at that.

eriadoc
12-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Personally, I think we should exclusively draft third down backs. So far, the track record's pretty good on that front.

mexican_texan
12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I know you weren't hanging that second hand bad luck nickname on Steve Slaton so I'm just going to say that Steve Francis plays basketball, not football and leave it at that.
I'm taking it back.

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I have not seen anyone in the past with the ability to change direction and get out of trouble the way Sanders could and I still dont see it! The stats look similar but the running style and ability to appear out from under three tacklers are very different.

Agreed. Watching Sanders, you would often finding yourself saying: "No freaking way did he just do that." And then you'd see the replay and you'd say: "Oh my God, he DID just do that." I haven't had that happen with Slaton and I don't expect it to happen very often with him, if ever. Even so, I think he could carry the load.

Hookem Horns
12-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Let's... just stick to comparing him to Reggie Bush for now, LOL.

Yes, let's compare Slaton to Reginald Alfred Bush.

Reginald Alfred had 565 yards, 6 TDs, 3.6 yards average, and a long of 18 yards in his rookie season.

Reginald Alfred has 1520 career yards rushing with 12 rushing TDs in 3 seasons.

Slaton could come close to matching that in just his rookie season.

However in Bush's favor he is crushing Slaton in Fathead commercial appearances.

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM

Reginald Alfred had 565 yards, 6 TDs, 3.6 yards average, and a long of 18 yards in his rookie season.

Yes, and Reggie's longest rush in his career is still just 43 yards. Weak!

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Personally, I think we should exclusively draft third down backs. So far, the track record's pretty good on that front.

That is some funny s*%t right there, I don't care who you are.

Maybe we could have the same luck with 1st round DE's next year. That would kick ass!!!!!!

False Start
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
In spite of the title of this thread, my intent was not to suggest that Slaton could be the next Barry Sanders. Rather I wanted to illustrate that a small running back can carry the load for a franchise. When I really started digging into the numbers I couldn't believe some of the similarities.

Oh yeah, I know man. Those numbers are nice though. :cool:

Vinnie
12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't care who he's compared to. He's already one of the best backs we've ever had, so I'm pretty freaking happy! I'm stopping short of saying the best because while I don't subscribe to superstition, I am superstitious. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. I remember how upset I felt when Domanick went down, and he's been our most prolific back in our short history. Steve has a chance to be something very special for this club, and I'm going to end this message before I draw anymore jinx vibes...and I need a beer.

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 10:58 PM

However in Bush's favor he is crushing Slaton in Fathead commercial appearances.

I give Reggie the same grade as his lady friends cup size...........

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
FIRE KUBIAK!!!

c'mon, somebody had to. :doot:

DUDE, are you serious?

Kubiak has his share of brain farts, but the guy took one of the worst offenses in the NFL and morphed it in to the current 3rd place O in the country.

Although we're not there yet and we have a ways to go, we are a couple of draft picks and a DC away from bieng something pretty special.

The guy has been here three years and inhereted a team in shambles.

This year has been somewhat dissappointing, but there was that little weather system that moved through in the begining of the season and that jack ass in the Minesota that commited what would have been outside the stadium a felony on our beloved QB.

TexansFanatic
12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Another smallish back who carried the load for his team and wound up in the
Hall of Fame was Thurman Thomas.

Thomas was 5'10" and 200 lbs.

His career averages compare very favorably to Slaton's rookie numbers. And only once during Thomas' 13 year career did he have a run longer than Slaton's long of 71 yards (with a run of 80 yards).

Scooter
12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
lou i thought the :doot: smiley covered it but i was kidding. i was just taking a friendly jab at the folks who cant see the great things that he's done with this team. i wanted kubiak as our coach before capers was signed, i'm definitely one of his biggest supporters. kubiak and gm smith have done a great job by acquiring someone perfect for the scheme and building a scheme perfect for slaton.

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
lou i thought the :doot: smiley covered it but i was kidding. i was just taking a friendly jab at the folks who cant see the great things that he's done with this team. i wanted kubiak as our coach before capers was signed, i'm definitely one of his biggest supporters. kubiak and gm smith have done a great job by acquiring someone perfect for the scheme and building a scheme perfect for slaton.

SORRY!!!!!!

Damn I feel stupid. I just see a lot of that and get a little defensive sometimes. There is a lot of that on the Chron.com.

Besides I started getting nervous when all the "Kubiaks job is on the line" crap started!!!!!!!

As you can tell I drank the Kubiak/Smith (Rick) Koolaid. Pass the cups will ya?!?!?!?

awtysst
12-11-2008, 11:40 PM

I don't think Slaton is a third down back but I think we absolutely need a bigger back to compliment him. The NFL has changed since Sanders time. Back then you could have that one elusive back that could carry a team. Nowadays you MUST have at least 2 really good ones.

Also, lets keep in mind that Slaton is less than a season in. Can we hold up comparing him to a HALL OF FAMER for a few years?!

SteveSlaton20
12-11-2008, 11:42 PM
DUDE, are you serious?

Kubiak has his share of brain farts, but the guy took one of the worst offenses in the NFL and morphed it in to the current 3rd place O in the country.

Although we're not there yet and we have a ways to go, we are a couple of draft picks and a DC away from bieng something pretty special.

This year has been somewhat dissappointing, but there was that little weather system that moved through in the begining of the season and that jack ass in the Minesota that commited what would have been outside the stadium a felony on our beloved QB.
amen

Goldensilence
12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Seriously?

Seriously?:gun:

Scooter
12-12-2008, 12:02 AM
SORRY!!!!!!

Damn I feel stupid. I just see a lot of that and get a little defensive sometimes. There is a lot of that on the Chron.com.

Besides I started getting nervous when all the "Kubiaks job is on the line" crap started!!!!!!!

As you can tell I drank the Kubiak/Smith (Rick) Koolaid. Pass the cups will ya?!?!?!?

lol no worries bud, i'm exactly the same and know fully why you'd take a defensive stance - i do too. kubiak's done more than most coaches could imagine with less talent than they could comprehend. replacing 4 very young offensive linemen in 3 seasons and adding a 3rd round rookie who's numbers are being compared to barry ... i believe he's doing something right lol. the man's got work to do, but he's exceeded expectations in my (and yours apprently) opinion.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2008, 12:28 AM
In defense of his post I did not see him say we have a Barry Sanders only that their rookie stats have some similarity. However I have not seen anyone in the past with the ability to change direction and get out of trouble the way Sanders could and I still dont see it! The stats look similar but the running style and ability to appear out from under three tacklers are very different.

Thats said it beats him having rookie numbers that suck!

Slaton doesn't have the rubber knees that Barry did (honestly that guy had spare ACLs in each knee), but one thing they do have in common is the acceleration...the stop and pop. I said before the draft that Slaton had the quickest first step in the draft and I still believe that. Once he puts his foot in the turf he's almost a full speed.....he has one hell of a granny gear.

Htownsportsfan
12-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Slaton doesn't have the rubber knees that Barry did (honestly that guy had spare ACLs in each knee), but one thing they do have in common is the acceleration. I said before the draft that Slaton had the quickest first step in the draft and I still believe that. Once he puts his foot in the turf he's almost a full speed.....he has one hell of a granny gear.

Agreeed. You could see his speed at WV what has impressed me is his toughness inside and ability to shed tacklers. In my prvious post where I said he was no Barry Sanders I did not mean he cant make guys miss. He has made more than his fair share of tacklers look like they were watching shoulders and not hips. Barry Sanders had the freakish lower body of stretch armstong or something!

Scooter
12-12-2008, 12:49 AM
edit

ObsiWan
12-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Ummm... Barry's Lions made the playoffs five times during his career. They got out of the first round only once. As much as I loved to watch Barry, I'd rather not see that playoff history duplicated here.

Let's allow S-squared write his own history. Perhaps by his 2nd or 3rd Reggie Bush will be called a "poor man's Steve Slaton"
:)

Thorn
12-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Slayton is special, there's no doubt about that. And the pieces are falling into place on the offense. Another good O-lineman or two and a big brusing RB (which you can get in the 3rd or 4th rounds) to help carry the load, and our offense is super bowl ready.

Now, if we just had a defense we could say that about.............

dalemurphy
12-12-2008, 07:43 AM
damn...I love Slaton too, but we probably need to hold off of the comparisons to one of the all time elites until at least his second year?

I love the differences more!.. For instance, he puts his head down and moves the pile on almost every play. He's already a better pass protector than Sanders ever was. And, he doesn't get caught behind the line for four and five yard losses. I'll gladly take all of that in exchange for being a little less explosive than Barry Sanders.

Hervoyel
12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
DUDE, are you serious?

He was kidding. No thread on any Texans message board is complete without at least one post calling for someone to be fired. If he'd been serious it would have been "Fire Richard Smith!"

infantrycak
12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
No he isn't a 3rd down only RB (a term which should largely be eliminated except from draftnikspeak), yes we should hold off on expecting a Barry Sanders carreer, and we need a solid (not equal to large) complimentary back to go with him.

Runner
12-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Not to make a career projection but to compare styles, he reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Slaton does not have quite as sharp left/right cuts and he's got more power, but the acceleration through the holes and speed through the DBs is similar. Dorsett didn't take a lot of big hits either.

Hervoyel
12-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't think Slaton is a third down back but I think we absolutely need a bigger back to compliment him. The NFL has changed since Sanders time. Back then you could have that one elusive back that could carry a team. Nowadays you MUST have at least 2 really good ones.

Also, lets keep in mind that Slaton is less than a season in. Can we hold up comparing him to a HALL OF FAMER for a few years?!

No. We need another back to compliment him. It's important that we not get hung up on trying to find a guy who is a physical mirror of Brandon Jacobs but who runs like Jonathan Wells. If they find a guy the exact same size as Slaton I'm good with that as long as he can run inside in heavy traffic and move the pile. I think our running backs should be Slaton, a "Slaton like" guy to backup Steve and giving him a breather, and another back who does the goal line role for us like Mack used to do for the Jaguars.

infantrycak
12-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Not to make a career projection but to compare styles, he reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Slaton does have quite as sharp left/right cuts and he's got more power, but the acceleration through the holes and speed through the DBs is similar. Dorsett didn't take a lot of big hits either.

That's better than Barry. SS has some great moves but they are mainly side step and stutter moves while Barry was an anything goes improvisation guy (which burned him at times). Dorsett also got up to speed very, very quickly. Slaton doesn't have anything of the open field loping running beauty that was Dorsett though. He's fast, but the gait isn't the same. Slaton also doesn't avoid contact while Dorsett at times was the Deion Sanders of RBs.

Without a comparison to anyone else, I am just shocked at his ability to work short spaces. We have seen numerous examples this season of him running into a pile 2-3 yds down field and then bouncing and popping out to scamper for another 4+. Great balance. Said this before, but in the off-season they should have him watching all Emmitt TV--if he could learn to use his off hand to redirect arms and shoulders he would bust even more runs.

Runner
12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
He was kidding. No thread on any Texans message board is complete without at least one post calling for someone to be fired. If he'd been serious it would have been "Fire Richard Smith!"

The corrollary to this is that everyone shares in the euphoria (even Smith) when the stars and schedule line up and the Texans play a series of sub .500 teams. :)

WesmanTexanfan
12-12-2008, 09:46 AM
whats intresting about all this is that I have dared not to say out loud that he runs like barry, but i have ben thinking it. I have not been on this site in a long time and havnt really asked anyone else about it untill i saw this thread. Gotta love steve.....

Dread-Head
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM

I have to agree with Silver Oak on this one. He's good, but he needs some time before we can start comparing him to the greats. Now when he starts to shatter the records of a certain inarticulate sportscaster who has a tendency to create his own words...then we'll talk.

Dread-Head
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Not to make a career projection but to compare styles, he reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Slaton does have quite as sharp left/right cuts and he's got more power, but the acceleration through the holes and speed through the DBs is similar. Dorsett didn't take a lot of big hits either.

True. BTW. Like the Sisiphus avitar.

HoustonFrog
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Slaton is no Barry Sanders and will never be a Barry Sanders but he could be a super special stud named Steve "The Slasher" Slaton. We will have to see the wear and tear by season. Starting off well. But if he needs to learn anything from backs brought up in this thread..Barry and Emmitt..it is how to not take a hit...angles, sideways, etc to have guys miss and not get clean shots.

Brando
12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Slaton is no Barry Sanders and will never be a Barry Sanders but he could be a super special stud named Steve "Speed" Slaton. We will have to see the wear and tear by season. Starting off well. But if he needs to learn anything from backs brought up in this thread..Barry and Emmitt..it is how to not take a hit...angles, sideways, etc to have guys miss and not get clean shots.

Just a little correction.;)

Battle Red Flash
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Not me. I think Steve is an every day, every down back. Just not Barry.

www.nfldraftdog.com